Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual American Music Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't see a thread for this. So far Taylor Swift performed some weird dinner theater version of that song that doesn't really sound like her. It sounds like a Lourde song that didn't make it on her album. She traipsed around the stage looking crazy -- perhaps on purpose -- and shoved a bunch of male dancers around who, for some reason, looked like walkers with suits. As strange as it may sound, I'm actually kind of glad Taylor lip-synched most of it. Singing live...kind of isn't her thing, especially when she's awkwardly clopping through her choreography.

Pitbull is the co-host. I'm proud to say I've never heard a single one of his songs beginning to end. He comes across a shade...old. Not mature old, but like a dude in his late-30s who says he likes to get hyphy on the weekend...old.

One Direction won some award. I'm so bored by them it's not even funny. Somewhere there's an Aeropostale missing every single one of its male employees and I feel bad for them.

Charli XCX just performed. She made a lot of Gwen Stefani sounds then did this bitter-chick Valentine's Day weird song. I...don't get it, but she has a hot little body on her.

Now, Magic is performing "Rude" with Wyclef Jean. Neat idea, but Wyclef doesn't seem like he really knows the song, and he's a little too rowdy for the song. The lead singer for Magic always seems like he just ripped a bongload because he performs this song. It's not that he can't sing or that his voice sounds bad; it's just he always sound a step behind the rhythm and just kind of vacant. Like, the song isn't one particular thing emotionally, but it's a charming little ditty. On wax.

Iggy Azalea won Best Hip-Hop album. For real? And...she's wearing a sensible black pants suit? That's both really boring and kind of awesome at the same time.

Five Seconds of Summer? Uh, punk-rock band I've never heard of doing "What I Like About You", a song I've heard too much of. OK.

I was looking for a forum for this awards show.  Nothing new to say, you posted my exact sentiments about Taylor Swift.  

This is NOT one of my favorite awards shows...shuffling off to watch The Walking Dead!

Sam Smith and Iggy just performed. OK, I like Sam Smith. It's endearing that he doesn't seem very comfortable with attention. It makes him seem real, and vulnerable, and thus relatable. But, that "aw shucks" thing seems to carry over into his performances when he's in front of large crowds. He seems to kind of shuffle through his performances and while there's no denying his gorgeous voice, he almost telegraphs his next move. You can tell he's about to change keys or go falsetto and it just makes him sound amateur -- like the latest runner-up on American Idol. And he's so much better than that.

I enjoy Iggy's ratchet anthems of self-worth, but she could've kept that. She did part of "Fancy" and, well, we've heard it. She did have Charli XCX there so she did her part, and then Iggy did "Beg For It" and I thought they were going to have Charli do Mo's part, which would've been kind of brilliant since she sounds very similar to Mo. But no, they had her Grace Jones' looking back-up singers lip-synching to Mo's part. It was just kind of a throw-away performance.

And now Lourde with her bullshit. I kind of enjoyed Lourde's Fiona Apple kid-sister act for all of five minutes two years ago. Now I'm tired. The song was weird and atonal and creepy and she was fucking around in a box and then stomping around the stage like she was channeling Angelina Jolie's character in Girl, Interrupted and it's like, girl bye.

Wow, they shifted straight to Ariana Grande. When she channels early-90s Mariah she's at her best, but there's just something interminably boring about Ariana. She just acts like a foreign-exchange-student with a pretty voice. Like, she knows how to sing in English but she doesn't quite understand American culture or something. This song with her and The Weeknd is a nice record, but he's weird and she's awkward and it just doesn't work live.

• Love 2

Charli XCX looked like she was wearing shoes from Payless.

Ariana Grande has an amazing voice, but what the hell is she saying? ENUNCIATE, girlie. And of course, kill me now, we had to see Frankie even in the opening sequence.

I can only take this show in small doses. 

OMG there's freaking Frankie again. 

• Love 2

Selena Gomez. Uh, okay. Yeah. I...wasn't feeling the song. If it's supposed to be such a personal, moving song, don't muck it up with that inane studio chanting "wants-uh-uh-uh-uh" thing. This isn't "I Love You Like A Love Song". She seemed genuinely moved by it, which makes me think this is about Bieber, which makes this...kind of hilarious.

I'm not even watching on the grounds that Pitbull was a horrible host last year.  And that a certain newlywed couple needs to STOP.  The only things I managed to see was Ariana Grande who still can't pronounce and the requisite Taylor Swift award show dancing.  

• Love 1

One Direction just performed. I'm not into them, but I have to give props where props are due: so far, they're the only performers to both sing live and sing in key the whole time. That's pretty sad.

Lil Wayne and Christina Milian. Didn't Wayne shave his dreads off a year or two ago? Where did he get these long dookie dreads from? And Christina Milian is still trying to have a career. I like her, but maybe she needs to try carving out her own persona instead of this low-budget Beyonce thing she does.

OK, I didn't realize Taylor was that sweet her fans. Bitch still kinda crazy, but inviting people to her house and sending presents and all that...that's really cool.

Ew, Fergie. I know she's been doing the blaccent thing longer than Iggy, but her performance just seemed like a desperate carbon copy. The song is kind of weak. I'm not a fan of Fergie (looks or music) but I will admit she can make a decent song when she wants to (see: Big Girls Don't Cry). Whatever this was...I don't see it for her.

• Love 1

I'm sorry no  matter how many nice things I hear about Taylor it's not going to change my mind that she is not talented and that her attitude reeks. She just comes off as "better than". Sam Smith may not be perfection but I will take him any day over these boybands that try to sing a heartfelt ballad. Mary J Blige continues to kill it and I'm so happy that she is still very present in the music industry. Fancy is a catchy song but Iggy is just so bleh. Same goes for Niki M and all the other rappers out there tonight. Pitbull is a fucking horrible co-host but that doesn't surprise me. I was amazed to see Ariana without her cat ears but her live singing is not what it was when she was first introduced to the music industry. The breathy shit is lazy and she can't enunciate to save her life. Music now a days is such an epic failure and it's sad. 

• Love 6

Mary J. Blige. I wasn't really feeling the song (it might work better as a record because it is a finger-snapper), but I enjoyed her. It's so nice to see an adult not trying so hard. And she wrote that with Sam Smith? Hmm. Seems like Sam might've given her a knock-off. Still, love you MJB!

Bang Bang Bang! I knew Jessie J was gonna give it to me and she did. She worked that audience like they paid good money to see her. Damn. I mean, she probably got all the yeast infections from that outfit, but Jessie can sing her ass off. And, she has the Midas touch because no Ariana didn't get a little stank with it on stage, did she? And Nikki didn't have a wardrobe malfunction. Best performance of the freaking night by far. It should've ended there...

But noo, we have to see J. Lo do her desperate-to-stay-relevant shameless song "Booty". It would be okay if it were catchy, but it's not even that. It's just sad. And J. Lo? You're like 40 with two kids. Isn't it time to give the ass a rest? You and Iggy are up there recreating the "Partition" video (so obvious) and, no, you're not Beyonce. Beyonce only has a few more years to be Beyonce. And I would say, when she tries, J. Lo can be legitimately sexier than Beyonce is on her best day. But this was just stupid.

• Love 4

I was mostly bored by this. I like Iggy and I especially like her for calling out Eminem and saying she was "bored with old men threatening women". Seriously, why do we continue to accept Eminem rapping about rape?  It was disgusting to do it when he was in his 20's, but dude is in his 40's now and it's even worse.

Sam Smith is great, I could listen to him sing all day.

Taylor comes off as desperate and smug at the same time. I checked out when she spouted something about people "not being used to women standing up for themselves" or some such nonsense. I don't see Taylor as someone who stands up for herslef, I see her as someone who enjoys perpetuating the stereotype of women being catty, petty and vindictive.

The lead singer of Magic looks like Adrian Brody's long lost twin brother.

MJB is fabulous, and she's far too fabulous to be stuck sitting next to the waste of space that is Frankie Grande. Although, he did provide my favorite moment of the night, when Jesse J ignored his little ass.

I can't understand a word Ariana says when she sings.

I was embarassed for JLo and the audience didn't seem that impressed.

• Love 2

Why in the hell can they not adjust the effing mic so people can stand without the crouch and speak?

Arianna usually shows up with no pants. She had a dress that covered her lady bits. A first. Did not understand a fucking word she sang.

"Wuh let prolly wee ouch yo."

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

I'm trying to understand the "Ariana is a baby Mariah" comparisons.  Because at least I could understand early Mariah when she sang.   It's like Ariana sings with marbles in her mouth.

Maybe they mean she sounds like Mariah when Mariah was a baby? "Goo goo gah gah wah wah goo goo".

• Love 3

Just watched.  Holy Shit,Fergie's ass is perfect.  She messed with her face though, she doesn't look the same anymore.

Who is jessie J- damn I need to look her up.  She sounded great! WERK.

Pitbull is not an attractive man.  I'm not at all sure that hair would even help.

I must admit I am old, but I have heard alot about Lil Wayne and that he sells a huge amount of music, but god that was lame, even for rap.  Is that a typical performance of his ?

Whos is the skinny chick partying next to Lorde?  Is that Karlie Kloss??

I thought I was the only one who couldn't understand Sia!

I really like Blank Space, but Taylor Swift just garbles the "Got a list of ex-lovers" line.  And she really is an awkward performer.  Too OTT theatrical, but in a very stilted way.

Taylor Swift just garbles the "Got a list of ex-lovers" line.  And she really is an awkward performer.  Too OTT theatrical, but in a very stilted way.

From what I've observed, Taylor Swift is an awkward performer that can't sing live and she never comes across (to me at least) as being particularly likeable....and yet she's a superstar.  I don't get it.

• Love 6

I didn't watch. I just caught the clips online.

Charli XCX is someone I feel like I should like but I don't. I listened through her album and put it on one of my playlists but I didn't have an immediate "I love this!" reaction. The performance was odd. It didn't feel as punk and rebellious as I think she wanted it to and the vocals were weak. Also, the part about not going to school felt like sad pandering.

I thought Ariana Grande was kind of weak. And I like both of her albums. They're pleasant at first and then they grow on you. Her vocals weren't that great but then she had a lot to do. 

I'm not going to pretend that Selena Gomez sounded incredible. But she sounded fine. It was weak but on key and it made me want to listen to her album where the vocals would be fixed in the studio. For this kind of "proving you can sing with a ballad" performance I thought she did OK.

Bang Bang was amazing. Bang Bang is always amazing. Though I'm getting kind of tired of hearing it, it's always fun.

I loved Lorde's performance. It was the only one that felt exciting and present. She looks fully engaged and happy to be on stage in a way most acts don't. Her weirdness feels genuine and motivated unlike the pretensions of other pop stars. 

Finally got around to viewing this on my DVR.  I do so mostly so I know what my kids are talking about/listening too and not seem too much like the 'out of touch mom' who listens to 'oldies' like Journey and Def Leppard (or even "oldy-type' rock like Foo Fighters).  I can appreciate the newer music today, like Iggy, Lorde, Jessie J, even if its not really my cup of tea.

Only got about half-way through so far.    I liked the performances by Iggy and Charlie XCX, Lorde was good too.  I gotta appreciate how Iggy can sing/rap like that, since its not something I can even come close to simulating (unlike say, my attempt at singing Heart songs). 

Didn't get the hype over 5 Seconds of Summer performing a song that's 30 years old though, pretty much note for note too.  I mean, they remind me a bit of the Romantics (who performed it originally) or Green Day (who, yeah, is almost 30 years old too), but guys, write your own tunes.  Imagine Dragons is ok, but they kindof put me to sleep.  They just sound a bit generic, like REO Speedwagon.

Agree with everyone here that I can't understand a word Ariana Grande sings (and Frankie, man talk about famous just for luck of birth). 

I wasn't much of a fan of the other male performers I've seen so far.  Pit Bull is ok, he at least looks like he's having fun.  I did notice that the "bootie" phenomenon has caught on with background dancers too.  They no longer look like anorexics, but actually have thighs.  As a non-stick type person, I appreciate that finally my body shape has come back into vogue.

Finished watching and not more to add.  Jessie J has got an amazing voice.  I'll have to listen to other songs.  JLo's new song is ok.  I wouldn't mind more Iggy though.

One Direction is ok, but I've never been much of a fan of "bands" that's entirely made up of singers without anyone playing instruments. 

I've never listened much to Black Eyed Peas or Fergie, so I'm probably saying it backwards when I see Fergie as a grown up Iggy.

• Love 1

The AMAs are not a hot topic anymore it seems. Also with opening categories to twitter votes they're barely a step above the People's Choice Awards now. They might as well just skip these voting processes and hand the award to the person with the most followers right away. Plus New Artist of the Year open to twitter votes when one nominee has as many followers as the 4 others combined due to his boyband past seems a bit fishy to me.

The only thing to upset that is Ariana winning over Selena, but they're almost equal in terms of followers and Selena has more casual followers than Ariana. I'm not that much of a fan of either but I'm working with social media influences so that's why I'm interested and checking these things out.

I liked the opening monologue. Jay Pharaoh cracks me up. I loved his rendition of the Shirley Caesar "You Name It" phenomenon using performer's names. But it was obvious that not everyone got the joke. It's popular among teenagers and most people on Facebook. I knew about the video because my kids show it to me and because every other FB post includes a screen shot of the remix video. 

I turned it off soon after the opening--was watching football. I don't know if there were any other Trump jokes. I hope not. I wanted to laugh and watch musicians, not think about politics. Especially not Trump politics. 

Anybody watching?

Pink and Kelly Clarkson opened the show with Everybody Hurts. It was alright, but it felt too mannered. And I’m not a fan of that song as a performance song. It works as a record, but I don’t want to hear a tribute don’t to it. 

Demi Lovato did Sorry Not Sorry as a high school pep rally, but I like her and that song, so it was alright.

Nick Jonas performed in that self-consciously sexy way he has. It’s mildly endearing that he still seems like a sweet kid playing at being a pop star. I don’t get a ton of charisma from him, but he knows how to get the job done without hamming it up too much, so he’s alright with me.

Who is Hailee Steinfeld and Alesso? I’m tired of redneck Chainsmokers aka FGL. 

DJ Khaled is a phony. 

Oh, and Tracie Ellis Ross is hosting. Love her, but it...might wear me down after two hours.

Am I the only one who likes Shawn Mendes,like, in an adult non-fan kind of way? He seems like a sweet kid, well-adjusted, and I can see him coming into his voice and sounding like a millennial Jonny Lang. It makes me wonder why we put up with Bieber’s BS.

• Love 1

Tracie Ellis Ross is endearing.  But I am really out of touch ,I am unfamiliar with a lot of these performers. It appears that if you are a featured performer or in the audience you will get an award.  Did Keith Urben automatically Get all the country music awards because he showed up and none of the other country performers did?

• Love 1

That Whitney Houston tribute was the absolute worst. Christina sounded almost as bad as Whitney did towards the end of her life. Pink's 2nd-hand embarrassment reaction shot during "I Will Always Love You" was the best part of it. What happened to Christina? That dress was so unflattering and her face looked puffed from bad fillers. Her voice sounded like someone was strangling Kermit The Frog.

• Love 3

Now Selena Gomez is doing whatever she does. Selena Gomez might rival J Lo for the most pointless music career. Would anybody care if she hadn’t dated Bieber? I think not.

Whoa. Katy Perry’s speaking voice sounds eerily like Kelly Clarkson’s.

So Christina performed. Uh, it was good and it was kind of a mess. The band was off in parts and Christina tried covering, but you could tell. Still, there were parts where she channeled Whitney’s sense of grandeur. Christina really needs to start using mixed voice. She tries to hit notes in full voice, but she’s older and heavier now (no shade), so her technique is going to have to change.

• Love 1

Macklemore is a little corny, but he’s a good rapper. He’s like a hip-hop Charlie Puth. And yo, Skyler Gray wins the weekend. She was just on SNL last night in NYC, now she’s jamming with Macklemore in LA. Go girl.

oh wow, Portugal. The Man looks like a sex offender, but this is a nice lil hipster ditty. And who is that fat chick in the audience who seems to be doing the most? Relax, baby.

What random presenters and announcers - Heidi Klum?  Justin Hartley?  Friend of Selena Gomez who I don't know?   Is this just anybody who had nothing to do tonight or is there a rhyme or reason for them to be here. Have to say though, getting Gaga, Xtina, Pin and Kelly Clarkson, in addition to Diana Ross, to perform are pretty good "gets".

Khalid seems like a nice young man, but I want to know whose nephew he is. Because I cannot figure out why this husky dude with a flat top who always dresses like it’s his first day of middle school is everywhere. 

And am I the only person who thinks that weird little voice in Thunder by Imagine Dragons sounds like it’s saying “fun dip”?

I love Pink and how fearless she is, and I love her aerials, but this was a little pointless. It was an awkward angle to be filmed, and a lot of the details of the performance weren’t able to be filmed correctly. Still great, and I think Pink was singing live somehow, but it was kinda weird.

Edited by 27bored
10 minutes ago, 27bored said:

love Pink and how fearless she is, and I love her aerials, but this was a little pointless. It was an awkward angle to be filmed, and a lot of the details of the performance weren’t able to be filmed correctly. Still great, and I think Pink was singing live somehow, but it was kinda weird.

Yeah, I saw her Carpool Kareoke with James Corden and she was talking about how it was better or easier (I forget the exact terminology) to sing upside down.

I'm just always scared for her.

• Love 2

Okay so White Precious in the audience is on This Is Us? Gotcha.

Sang, Kelly. The Girl Power undercurrent to this show is a little annoying, but on the plus side, we’ve got some strong performances and had very little hoochie-ness. Kinda wish they would’ve had Kesha on. I never thought I’d write that.

Girl, I don’t know how I feel about the extras from Rush Hour. Are they singing in English? Why does it seem like the number of them kept changing? It went from 4 to 7 to 5 to 6. I don’t know. 

Why does it seem like Jared Leto...doesn’t really fool with y’all? Like he just seems like he ain’t studying y’all like that. 

And speaking of people who don’t fool with us...hey Barack! 

I’ve never been a fan of Diana Ross. I’ve always thought she slept her way to the top, but I have to admire what she’s accomplished. We’ve gotta celebrate our divas. So congratulations Ms Ross.

Her son looks like a mix between El Debarge and Chance the Rapper without the 3 hat.

• Love 4

Aw, kids! I loved Jamie Foxx dorkily dancing to Ease on Down and his daughter looking at him like "Oh DAD!" But even better, Kelly Clarkson's gleeful reaction to Diana Ross's grandson dancing behind her and upstaging her for a hot minute!

What's the story with the fanny pack?

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 2

So...everybody in Diana Ross’ family is crazy? Woo boy. And her grandson has Diana Ross hair? And they all walk around like they just got spritzed in the face with the most refreshing water ever?

Okay, girl.

• LOL 1

I'm not a fan of the way Diana Ross rose to the spotlight, but dammit if I don't love her songs/style. And at this point, she is one of the few from that era left. I don't miss a chance to watch her or Smokey perform and think they absolutely deserve any tributes they receive.

She was shouty at points, but she looked great as always, and her grandson was too darn cute. Nice way to end the show.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3