Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:41 AM, Nashville said:

and the order had never been placed - it fell through the cracks of her departure.  Took them 3/4 of an hour to even find the paperwork.  So the order is in place now, with a rush put on it.  Glad I stopped by.

Just... wow.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, Nashville said:

My sister and I apparently get along better than most; considering we’re both in our 50s, it’s not like we have a hell of a lot of choice.  :)

That doesn't stop a whole lot of siblings from acting like a pack of ravenous hyenas when they smell money in the air. I'm with you. Not only did my brother and I not squabble when my mother passed away (without a will) but refused to take a dime, preferring it to go to my stepfather who cared for her during her illness. It was only right.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, nachomama said:

You know March 14 is steak and bj day.

As soon as I saw Nashville quote that I knew who said it without even looking, and I'm hardly around here!:D

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That doesn't stop a whole lot of siblings from acting like a pack of ravenous hyenas when they smell money in the air. 

Well... I have a HUGE family on my father’s side; he was one of nine kids.  WAY back when my sister and I were in our mid-teens, what started out as a property line squabble between a couple of uncles grew and escalated into a full-out family battle royale which lasted for quite literally decades.  Tore into bloody chunks what had been an extremely close-knit family, and ran so long some of the involved family members died without the bad blood ever being resolved.  Rumblings of it still pop up from time to time today.

My sister and I watched this go on for years and years and years - and about the time we were in our mid/late 20s, we promised each other we would never let ourselves get tied up similarly in such knots over material shit.  We’re both in our 50s now, and we never have - and never will, God willing.  We’ve already seen the irreparable damage greed can do, and have no desire to repeat it.

• Love 2

I didn’t invent steak n bj day. Don’t even celebrate it. 

We can start a feud in my family over the stupidest stuff. My grandfather carried coins and a silver certificate for decades. When he died they wanted the worn down coin and literally falling apart, practically lint by that point silver certificate. My aunt and my dad didn’t speak for close to 20 years because my dad took my grandma and sister into town to get a hamburger and she was pissed he didn’t take her SIX! <—- 6 kids. 

When my pops died they fought over guns. Uncle “shared” a gun with my dad as a kid (who knows, redneck Louisiana) so everybody negotiated what gun they couldn’t live without. Then my sister freaked out someone had stolen her blanket. My uncle wrapped his gun in a blanket and had no idea he’d taken the precious treasure. We really aren’t bright people. 

• Love 2
On 2/17/2018 at 3:40 AM, Nashville said:

and about the time we were in our mid/late 20s, we promised each other we would never let ourselves get tied up similarly in such knots over material shit.

What I've come in realize in the last few decades that our siblings are the only people on earth who share our earliest memories. It's insane to let silly squabbles ruin something so precious.  No one has ever gone to their graves thinking, "Gee, I'm so glad I alienated my family over property lines (or a hamburger run or a battered guitar or whatever) and am dying without ever making up with them." 

• Love 3

Something takes over, I don't know if grief just amplifies whatever little squabble and then makes it bigger. My aunts fought over a ring, not actually worth anything, but each said grandma promised it to them, that in their minds becomes "who did mom love more?"

My parents fought over really stupid stuff, like toilet paper. My father was a 3-squares-will-do-ya kind of guy and it was extremely difficult getting him to process that women (wife and 2 daughters) required different things from the toilet paper. We were always able to shut him down by even hinting at the idea of Aunt Flo. He didn't want any kind of knowledge in that department. If we went to the grocery store and my mom wrote the check for $25 extra so we could goof off, go see a movie or something, if he ever questioned how much we spent, we mentioned the unmentionables and poof! gone from his mind. So I promised myself early that I was never going to fight over toilet paper, didn't matter if it was roommate or family, whatever situation that was not my battle.

My father worked for an oil company and they had all kinds of industrial soaps and solvents and he'd bring stuff home and want us to use it for shampoo or laundry detergent. Just him being cheap, he just absolutely could not see why we refused, to him clean was clean, it didn't matter if your hair snapped off and got all brittle or if your clothes felt like burlap bags, he had no hair and he did grow up wearing clothes made from flour sacks.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

Something takes over, I don't know if grief just amplifies whatever little squabble and then makes it bigger.

It is a fact that anger is much easier to deal with than is grief. I'm not saying that all bottom-feeders fighting tooth and nail over every bit of property are grieving - many of them are just greedy and avaricious - but anger is a stage of grief on the way to acceptance.

• Love 2

Not one person questioned this "arrangement"? I'm a moron and I know people get crazy when you play around too much with the national anthem and such. I think people could get behind someone who can't sing singing it badly. Roseanne is NOT  a singer, she got a lot of flack because she tried to compensate for lack of singing ability with humor and gusto. If I stood up and sang it would be tremendously terrible and painful but if I was being all patriotic and whatnot they'd boo me and get over it. Fergie mangled it! She decided to go all Marilyn Monroe sexy-happy-birthday-mr-presidenty with it and then sang that badly.

I just decided I won't sing at the SuperBowl, it was a soul searching journey, no, no do not beg, I just won't budge from this position no matter how many times they ask.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Not one person questioned this "arrangement"? I'm a moron and I know people get crazy when you play around too much with the national anthem and such. I think people could get behind someone who can't sing singing it badly. Roseanne is NOT  a singer, she got a lot of flack because she tried to compensate for lack of singing ability with humor and gusto. If I stood up and sang it would be tremendously terrible and painful but if I was being all patriotic and whatnot they'd boo me and get over it. Fergie mangled it! She decided to go all Marilyn Monroe sexy-happy-birthday-mr-presidenty with it and then sang that badly.

I just decided I won't sing at the SuperBowl, it was a soul searching journey, no, no do not beg, I just won't budge from this position no matter how many times they ask.

But haven’t you always wanted to hear what the National Anthem would sound like if it were sung in a hole-in-the-wall waterfront dive bar around closing time by a half-drunk torch song singer who was trying to sex it up a little?  God knows I have.  Scratch THAT one off the bucket list.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Nashville said:

But haven’t you always wanted to hear what the National Anthem would sound like if it were sung in a hole-in-the-wall waterfront dive bar around closing time by a half-drunk torch song singer who was trying to sex it up a little?  God knows I have.  Scratch THAT one off the bucket list.

Damn it! That made me LOL. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I must be totally out of the loop, because I didn't  think how Fergie sang it was that big of a deal.  I am not offended or the slightest bit annoyed by it.  I just didn't care.

I didn’t say I was offended or annoyed by it either; to tell the truth, I still don’t know WHAT I am about it.  :)

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Superclam said:

So I just watched it, finally. Not as bad as people made out, but certainly not good. Just an odd style choice. With that song, you really should just play it straight. 

I’m not outraged or anything.  I think Fergie was honestly trying to do it well as a straightforward performance in a unique style.  It’s just the style she settled on was not really a good fit for either the song or the venue at all.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Fair enough.  A lot of people were offended by it.  But then again, it seems like more and more people are going out of their way to be offended by everything.

I remember way, way back in elementary school, we had to sing the  "Pledge of Allegiance".  Not say it, sing it.  It was awful.

OLD PERSON RANT: We live in a strange era where opinions are tweeted and then media outlets collect the tweets and present them as research and fact. Like: @farting tweeted "whats up with Fergie doing the Nat'l Athnm" and the headline of the article is "Outrage at Fergie's Rendition of Our National Anthem!" 

I'm gonna go yell at some young people now. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

OLD PERSON RANT: We live in a strange era where opinions are tweeted and then media outlets collect the tweets and present them as research and fact. Like: @farting tweeted "whats up with Fergie doing the Nat'l Athnm" and the headline of the article is "Outrage at Fergie's Rendition of Our National Anthem!" 

I'm gonna go yell at some young people now. 

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY FORUM!!!  ;>

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Superclam said:

We live in a strange era where opinions are tweeted and then media outlets collect the tweets and present them as research and fact.

I try and avoid the news at all costs. I don't really trust the veracity of much of it, especially when a "reporter" pens a headline like this:

Three Sentenced for Strangling Friend Who Was Overdosing with Jumper Cables

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I try and avoid the news at all costs. I don't really trust the veracity of much of it, especially when a "reporter" pens a headline like this:

Three Sentenced for Strangling Friend Who Was Overdosing with Jumper Cables

You’re right - that’s hard to swallow.

;>

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Reminds me of the worst joke I ever heard; one of my college professors told it to the class, and it’s so gross I refuse to repeat it.

Oh, come on. We're people who watched throats being graphically slit, eyeballs being squeezed out and a big ol' bunch of guts spilling out on a street. Tell us your joke. I'll probably be sorry I asked but I need to know. 

• Love 1

A friend and I “jumped” together once.  It was a shocking experience.

12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, come on. We're people who watched throats being graphically slit, eyeballs being squeezed out and a big ol' bunch of guts spilling out on a street. Tell us your joke. I'll probably be sorry I asked but I need to know. 

Naw, this joke would gross out Nicotero. It’s THAT bad.  I don’t mean funny bad, I mean BAD bad.

22 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Naw, this joke would gross out Nicotero. It’s THAT bad.  I don’t mean funny bad, I mean BAD bad.

Okay. I rescind the request. About 20 years ago a bunch of guys at work were groaning and cursing with disgusted looks on their faces. I asked what was going on and one said, "Bob told a joke. Really gross." So of course I harassed Bob to tell me. He refused multiple times and then did. To this day I feel sick when I think of it and was very sorry I insisted on hearing it. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

So I saw Black Panther last night. Yall reckon Danai is done with this shitshow?

Either that or they'll write her like they did the character of Maris Crane on Frasier. 

"Where's Michonne?"

"She just went on a supply run."

"She took Judith for a walk"

"She's sharpening the Katana"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Either that or they'll write her like they did the character of Maris Crane on Frasier. 

"Where's Michonne?"

"She just went on a supply run."

"She took Judith for a walk"

"She's sharpening the Katana"

Michonne has been sharpening Rick’s katana for - what, a year and a half now?  ;>

• Love 1

I can't believe TWD has been on for eight years now. It doesn't seem that long, even as it's been painfully slow at times.  I remember watching the first episode, just after I'd found out that the first of my five little dogs, was living on borrowed time, so I wasn't feeling good, but I was glued to that first episode. I loved the black and white, too, and Morgan and his son. So much has happened since then (mostly bad - I get the Eeyore seal of approval, if he approves of anything at all). This decade has sucked. Just feeling really nostalgic right now. 

• Love 1

This is a rare year when I've seen several of the Oscar nominated films, saw Dunkirk, LadyBird, Get Out, have NOT seen 3 Billboards or the Shape of Water so I'm automatically a hypocrite but I don't get the fish movie. Havent seen it but don't get it. I've seen other Guillermo DelToro movies and didn't get them either. I think Frasier's brother played a better fish guy in Hellboy. So it was mostly Meh for me.

(edited)

Strangest damn thing.  

After the defecation demonstration which was the MSP, I’d taken both TWD and TTD off my DVR’s series recording programming - zip, zero, zilch, gone.  Verified they were both off.  So be it.

So you may be able to appreciate my surprise - and consternation - when promptly at 8:00pm CST, the DVR spun up and started recording TWD.  

And then TTD after that.

I can only figure three possibilities:

1. After I deleted both shows Sunday before last, my wife came back afterwards and re-added them - not real damn likely, since she said goodbye to the series about the same time Glenn and Abraham did.  My continued viewing (and the space it’s taken up on the DVR) has irritated her to a degree.
  2. The DVR glitched, and restored what I’d previously deleted.  Kinda spooky, that - but not as spooky as #3...
  3. God wants me to watch this shit.

...so yeah, I ended up watching this most recent episode.  Have to say, though; now it’s - different.  Something - attachment to the characters, maybe - is gone now.  Watching now is definitely more... clinical, for lack of a better word.  And kinda boring.

Edited by Nashville
Typo, expansion
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Nashville said:

Watching now is definitely more... clinical, for lack of a better word.  And kinda boring.

I really only watch so I can join in on the snark of the forum, which is heads and shoulders above anything written for this show. I watch it because my ISP is giving it to me for free (yeah, like I'd pay for it!) for a trial period. I watch because it's there, just the way I eat all the Lay's potato chips (which, BTW, are a lot more exciting than this show), even though I know I'll feel bad and even nauseated after I do - because they're there.

• Love 1

The DVR glitched, and restored what I’d previously deleted.  Kinda spooky, that - but not as spooky as #3...

i swear my dvr has done this! I generally keep recordings as “record new” occasionally if it’s something that I get into after a few seasons have already Aired I set it to “record all” then binge when I can. I’m telling you, once you do that there’s a demon that takes over. I COULD NOT FREAKIN DELETE THE SHOWS! Couldn’t delete the season pass and daily they multiplied. And I’m not talking about “friends” that’s in syndication on multiple channels. I will not divulge the show on grounds that it may incriminate me. But it took me forever to figure out how to make it stop. 

• Love 1

Messed up, evil DVRs? I haven't had AMC since last year. I could not get that channel. If I clicked on it while surfing it would just tell me "Add AMC to your lineup and blah blah" BUT it started recording ALL of TWD marathons that proceeded this season. I sat dumbfounded when I open my Recordings and there were ALL the shows. Da fuq?? I asked myself, puzzled. Went to check AMC live - nope, no AMC.

How can my DVR record shows from a channel I do not get, but only TWD?? HOW? Has Eugene found a way to infiltrate my DVR??

On 3/6/2018 at 12:11 AM, nachomama said:

I will not divulge the show on grounds that it may incriminate me

Oh, come on. We all have our guilty pleasures. I record and watch three court shows every day as you can probably tell by my avatar.;)

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Messed up, evil DVRs? I haven't had AMC since last year. I could not get that channel. If I clicked on it while surfing it would just tell me "Add AMC to your lineup and blah blah" BUT it started recording ALL of TWD marathons that proceeded this season. I sat dumbfounded when I open my Recordings and there were ALL the shows. Da fuq?? I asked myself, puzzled. Went to check AMC live - nope, no AMC.

How can my DVR record shows from a channel I do not get, but only TWD?? HOW? Has Eugene found a way to infiltrate my DVR??

Probably you just lucked out; your carrier was running a “free week” or “free weekend” promo for the upper channel tier(s), and the promo just happened to coincide with the TWD marathon AMC was running before the mid-season premiere.  :)

(Had the same thing happen to me with Black Sails a year or so back)  :>

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Probably you just lucked out; your carrier was running a “free week” or “free weekend” promo for the upper channel tier(s),

That's the thing: They weren't. They're running the free promo weeks now, which is why I can watch this new season. Back then I couldn't watch anything on AMC, just recorded TWD eps.

LOVED "Black Sails" btw! Happened on Bear McCreary recording the title theme. If you haven't seen it, it's just great.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That's the thing: They weren't. They're running the free promo weeks now, which is why I can watch this new season. Back then I couldn't watch anything on AMC, just recorded TWD eps.

Then you’re in the same boat as I; either your cable box/DVR glitched, or God wants us both watching the Decline and Fall of the Atlanta Empire - in which case, we’re both fucked.  ;)

LOVED "Black Sails" btw! Happened on Bear McCreary recording the title theme. If you haven't seen it, it's just great.

Oooo... thank you, that gave me goosebumps.  :)

I dearly loved Black Sails when it was running; the very first “grown-up” book I got as a child was Treasure Island, so pirates have always held a special niche in my heart.  Pissed me off to no end when Comcast pulled Starz off my tier right before the last season.  :(

What’s the name of the instrument with the crank?  I always thought they were just getting tricksy with a violin to get that sound, and I love it.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Nashville said:

What’s the name of the instrument with the crank?

I believe that's called a "hurdy gurdy."

I really enjoyed the show too for the most part, excepting where they perverted historical events - and I don't mean using poetic license since this wasn't a documentary - but on the whole, very well done. Just the visuals alone were worth the price of admission.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hint. It involved boats but was not Black Sails. Although I did watch that too. I always thought the hurdy gurdy noise in black sails was some version of bag pipes

Everyonr must confess their guilty pleasure if I’m gonna. 

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Hint. It involved boats but was not Black Sails.

“Love Boat”, or “Gilligan’s Island”?  :D

Edited by Nashville
Drop those coconuts!
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Everyonr must confess their guilty pleasure if I’m gonna. 

Just TV/Movie guilty pleasures?

Velveeta grilled cheese

The Fifth Element (EVERY time it's on)

Locked Up Abroad (for the snark)

I used to watch "My Strange Addiction". Oh gawd, I went cold turkey on that crap when Nathanial was having the love affair with his poor sexually abused car, Chase.

Okay, what's yours? I can't think of any shows involving boats except the ones Nashville mentioned. Oh, what about 'Flipper'? 'Sea Hunt'?

Edited by AngelaHunter

I enjoy stale cheesy Poofs. 

I watch raising Arizona, tremors and adventures in babysitting every time I catch them. 

The show was called Shipwrecked on TBS over the summer. And it haunted my dvr. I’d wake up to 10 episodes, delete them and they’d keep coming back. 

I saw one episode of my strange addiction, the lady ate toilet paper. Like chips, just snackin on tp. There’s a show coming out this year about dermatologists and it’s going to be zit poppin and abscess drainin. Yack |:@

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, nachomama said:

There’s a show coming out this year about dermatologists and it’s going to be zit poppin and abscess drainin. Yack |:@

You gotta be shittin' us. Okay, I know the public taste seems to have descended into the cesspool of single-digit IQs, but can anyone on the planet want to watch this? I still haven't recovered from seeing Daryl eat a worm, even though I closed my eyes before it went into his mouth.

ETA: I can't seem to find any shows called "Shipwrecked"...?

Edited by AngelaHunter

guilty pleasure tv show - storage wars

food - ice cream (not guilty in quality but in quantity)

Movie - I don't really feel guilty about it but I get sucked into Rudy and Invincible every time they're on (and they're on all the time).  I was gonna catch up on some walking dead recently but Invincible was on again ...

• Love 1