Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

☹️

14 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:
  • Do your insurance companies keep a track of what levels of maintenance you’ve either carried, or not carried out on your property? We don’t really get that over here, yet we all know that the Devil’s salesmen will refuse any claim if they can possibly hope to get away with it👹👹

I just switched companies because it saved me SO!MUCH!MONEY! >( So they always do a drive by at least and certainly my paint was in terrible shape but also I have the asbestos so if you can get them to insure you in the first place, they do keep a stricter eye on you because of the liability. The siding does shut them up because "it's covered" I don't really see how that keeps you from getting asbestos cancer but whatever. Like if you have asbestos shingles that aren't painted does air circulate and blow it at your lungs? I get that with insulation etc. I think siding is not the classiest but I do think in my case will help me sell my house rather than deter from it because of the asbestos factor. Hell anyone buying my house is knocking it down to build something better. I think once I do this they leave me alone as long as I never file a claim (and I never have) If they don't like the neighbors tree all up in my business then why is his insurance not worried about power lines etc? because they're collecting money and don't care until he wants to make a change.

I'm a certified asbestos dude. (I was, anyway.) Asbestos is only harmful if it's friable, which is a fancy word for "dusty." Loose pipe insulation, stuff like that, is harmful. Asbestos in a roofing shingle or in mastic? You could sleep next to it for 50 years and be fine. In my state, you can encapsulate (cover) asbestos and leave it there. If you remove it, you have to have it done by a licensed company. 

In the next state over, you can by products with asbestos in them, because laws. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm a certified asbestos dude. (I was, anyway.) Asbestos is only harmful if it's friable, which is a fancy word for "dusty." Loose pipe insulation, stuff like that, is harmful. Asbestos in a roofing shingle or in mastic? You could sleep next to it for 50 years and be fine. In my state, you can encapsulate (cover) asbestos and leave it there. If you remove it, you have to have it done by a licensed company. 

In the next state over, you can by products with asbestos in them, because laws. 

Yep I think we got roughly the same law, cover it and if you remove gotta be biohazard dudes all suited up.  I've been sleeping next to it, well other side of my wall, for at least 20 years. But I do have insurance companies want to dump me periodically, the first insurance company was merging then I got "liberty mutual" and after I signed up they called me back after a month and said "oh we don't cover asbestos" I was like "I didn't hide that from you" so then the country mutual people who I recently got rid of because of things now progressive which did give me a good rate but it's not really progressive as the homeowners insurance...some affiliated thing.

We might be losing grandma, took a turn for the worse overnight in hospital. "Assessing" waiting for word

Edited by nachomama
  • Hugs 1

I feel like Cinderella or whichever of those Disney gals had all the critters following her around. I'm house sitting over christmas and they have 2 golden doodles and little shitzhu kinda thing and a couple cats. Seriously 2 dogs and a cat in bed with me last night and following me to go to the bathroom etc. I believe the lil shitzhu creature must take after the german dad side of the family cuz she's a little freaky deaky. I took a shower yesterday and she was licking my feet. She is half blind and deaf. So she'll follow you anywhere but if she wanders she can't answer if you call her. They're all very sweet but it's just odd to be followed and watched that much. They looooooooove to go for a ride so I took them in the car and either got excited by the site of other dogs or maybe know the park by my house because if Beau could drive the car Beau was gonna pull us over.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

I think the new format finally kicked me out on the computer. (I have really old browser but can’t update system because of Heidelberg) so lots of websites gimme the “your browser is not supported please download blah blah” so I guess phone only now. 
appears we will lose grandma. Taking her to hospice. She had multiple myeloma which she didn’t know about. Which is why the sternum fall was giving her so much trouble. She had way too much calcium in her body and that’s one of the symptoms. So once they started testing they found the cancer. Probly why the fall was so detrimental to her. Obviously she is not my grandma. My bosses mom but she was here every day. She did our books. 84! Spry as hell. 
merry feckin Christmas. 
I watched banshees of inishirin and I don’t think it’s supposed to be a comedy but I found it hilarious. Still on my Irish kick. So feckin is my new word. 

• Hugs 1
6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

WTF is going on with these forums? 
Is it just me? 😱😱

Not just you; TPTB have been messing around with the forum themes (and IMHO not for the better).  Now there’s just the one “default theme”, and they’ve apparently shitcanned the entire notion of flagging unread forums in any kind of meaningful fashion. 🤬

• Like 1

Merry Christmas and happy festivus. I think I’m more of a festivus person because I love the airing of grievances. And a meatloaf dinner rather than turkey. (I’m actually making brisket) 
I have been relinquished of dog duty. They are all alive and happy. They ate my hairbrush. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

🎄🎁❄️☃️🎅   Merry Christmas!   🎅☃️❄️🎁🎄

It’s grey, dull, raining and not a present in sight, round to the family for burnt to death goose, duck and lamb, luckily I still have half of my Chinese take away to finish before I go, Bah Humbug!

• Sad 1

It’s incredibly cold for here. Luckily we didn’t get the great blizzard but it’s freezing so def a couch and movies Christmas. I had brisket ,shrimp and Parmesan garlic potatoes. Then I got hammered on lemonade and vodka. You use what you got. Going for lunch with a friend tomorrow and briefly I thought I was gonna get poutine. Then Mexican before she settled on Greek/Mediterranean. Which I don’t hate. But I do hate hummus. I got a replacement hairbrush and a bob ross mug that paints the happy little trees when you put hot beverage In it. 

10 hours ago, nachomama said:

It’s incredibly cold for here.

It's pretty cold here, even for NYC. My wife and I usually take a walk for about an hour. Saturday it was 6 degrees and windy. We got about 5 blocks and turned around. Yesterday was about 25, which is a lot better. 

But I do hate hummus.

WHY????

a bob ross mug that paints the happy little trees when you put hot beverage In it. 

Gonna need a picture of that. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Gonna need a picture of that. 

And a link please, half an hour of Bob wielding that two inch brush, which I usually use to paint the coving, has a remarkably relaxing effect upon any stressed state I find myself in, happy little clouds and streams should be prescribed to anyone feeling down, he’s a national treasure you should be proud of!

Our equivalent was Rolf Harris who was jailed for child abuse, he even painted a picture for the Queen!

Edited by OoohMaggie

King Charles’? First Christmas message has attracted the highest viewing figures this century for the monarch’s festive Christmas Day address, it’s just a shame nobody mentioned Diana’s unfortunate trip through that tunnel in Paris 🙄🙄

14 hours ago, nachomama said:

Then Mexican before she settled on Greek/Mediterranean. Which I don’t hate. But I do hate hummus.

Greek meat is often served on the cool side which I hate, Hummus can be Devine with enough herbs and spices added, served with a plate of warm Pitta bread, mmmm, mmmmmm ,mmmmmm😝

I was gonna make some cocoa in my bob Ross mug but they didn’t have any. So as soon as I can get my hands on some I’ll show you bob ross.

I don’t care for cinnamony type things they do with Greek meat. Like there’s a lasagna type thing but it had cinnamon or cardamom which I’m not fond of in meat. And you’re all wrong about hummus. It’s disgusting. Chuck peas in general. I don’t like falafel either. They are an abomination.

they are having the “private” burial for grandma today. Public funeral next Tuesday. I’m apparent not family cuz I’m holding down the fort while they go. But I’m good enough for next Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Like there’s a lasagna type thing but it had cinnamon or cardamom which I’m not fond of in meat. And you’re all wrong about hummus. It’s disgusting. Chuck peas in general. I don’t like falafel either. They are an abomination.

Moussaka (sp?) It's ok, but I like lasagna more. 

I love all things hummus, falafel and chick peas. I'll have yours. 

34 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Moussaka (sp?) It's ok, but I like lasagna more. 

I love all things hummus, falafel and chick peas. I'll have yours. 

That’s probably it. And you can have all the chick peas in the universe. I’ll never fight you for them.

I don’t think I’d like skyline chili either. Something about Cincinnati they put it on spaghetti first of all and there’s cinnamon in it. Blech. 

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

I don’t think I’d like skyline chili either. Something about Cincinnati they put it on spaghetti first of all and there’s cinnamon in it. Blech. 

I've always wanted to try it, because I like spaghetti and I like chili. But I've never been near Cincinnati, so I've never seen it offered. It might be disgusting.  

Out of interest as it’s a long while since I’ve been over there,

If you go out for an average meal in the US, no five star and no greasy dive, what sort of percentage tip is your average server expecting when you leave nowadays?
Also can you leave what you think if fair for the work they’ve actually done, or will they chase you down the street if it doesn’t meet a certain percentage?

15% is considered the bare minimum. I usually leave 20% or 25% if it's really good service. I won't leave less than 15% unless the service is actively abysmal. Tips are often pooled in restaurants, so if you stiff your dicky waiter you're also stiffing the bus boys & back of house staff who are working hard. 

The system is such that tipped workers make less than the minimum wage, assuming they'll be tipped. If they don't make tips, they probably won't even break even for the night after taxes. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Correct. In these pandemic times I’ve left more tip on takeout because I know there had been less in person dining. But takeout was usually 10-15% and I don’t know that anybody would ever chase you down. They just think you’re a dick afterwards. I wouldn’t frequent a place where you were known as a non tipper. You might be getting extra saliva in your drinks etc. (never actually known anyone to do that) I don’t care for the people that are like “here’s your tip and I’m taking $1 away every time you screw up”. I know that your food being late might have nothing to do with the server. I try to see the big picture…are they slammed? Is this person busting their ass? I do not look for a suck up attitude just regular friendly helpfulness. I do not try to create neediness. I was a server so asking me 6 times for 6 things can make me nuts while I’m trying to get things done. I always tried to pre think things like ketchup that they might ask for. Always had a pen or a fork handy. Things to make it easier on me because I know they wouldn’t. And absolutely you do not want to stiff your backup. If they refill drinks or bus tables you want them on your side. Sometimes you can tell your server is a dick by how other staff help them or lack thereof. 
I do think they should be paid a regular wage and tipping should be optional. Some places make a ton in tips. Great. Wonderful. Ours was a tip jar situation so I did make regular minimum wage. Tip was bonus. We did split it with the prep and boy howdy did you know if somebody hadn’t tipped them out because you were not getting your stuff on time or help in any way. Sunday’s were our biggest days (after church crowd-who suck by the way) and I think I made $20-25 in tips on a Sunday. I always wanted to tell Sunday people “Jesus can still see you” because they were just so mean and nasty on a Sunday. Same with the deli. You just got out of church and go do your shopping. So did everybody else. I’m sorry there’s a line but being nasty to me doesn’t get you salami any faster. 

And I do try to tip in cash rather than on a card. Because I don’t care if they don’t report tips on taxes. If you put it on a card the restaurant taxes it and they don’t get it all. Im not frequenting high end places. I know they’re not rolling in cash. They aren’t making $400 a night in tips. I’d rather they get it than the restaurant or the irs 

• Like 2
On 1/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, nachomama said:

I do think they should be paid a regular wage and tipping should be optional.

1000% agreement on this. IMHO U. S. service providers (especially bars and restaurants) have gotten WAY too comfortable with the multiple ways the current system lets them monetize the status quo, including using inflation as an excuse for a full-equivalence price bump across-the-board while their labor costs remain essentially static.  

On 1/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, nachomama said:

Sunday’s were our biggest days (after church crowd-who suck by the way) and I think I made $20-25 in tips on a Sunday. I always wanted to tell Sunday people “Jesus can still see you” because they were just so mean and nasty on a Sunday. Same with the deli. You just got out of church and go do your shopping. So did everybody else. I’m sorry there’s a line but being nasty to me doesn’t get you salami any faster. 

Back when my oldest was bartending/serving at a national restaurant chain famous for its capsicum associations, she despised the post-church crowd; in her own words “they’ll bark orders at you like a slave, run you ragged, and then tip for shit - assuming they actually tip at all”.  Every server I’ve ever talked to on the subject have said pretty much the same thing. So far as I can determine, the post-church crowd is the most effective atheism recruiting tool to date.  😄

• Like 2

It’s almost like the most religious people are actually evil!

speaking of religion I might go to church tomorrow. So if basically the entire southeast blows up, that’s me. Jesus done struck the church. There’s a church that’s doing a Ted lasso inspired thing so I figured that might be fun. We also have a church down here that every year does a month of broadway musicals. I went to go see the Les Mis performance. They don’t do the entire thing. They pick and choose which songs and the preAcher gives his message between songs. Les mis they focused on the forgiveness. The priest that allowed jean Val jean to have the candle sticks he stole. I desperately want them to do kinky boots or  hedwig. Chorus line. I’d love to see how they interpret tits and ass! 

• Mind Blown 1

Church is weird. These were united Methodists so very liberal church. They did communion and when we (baptists) did it that just passed around a little gray if juice and a cracked. You had to line up and dude tore off chunks of bread. Pandemic times made me scream internally. Then you go kneel around the altar to eat your little snack. I was very much a no on that. I never knew if I was standing or sitting. I think I’ll just go to hell. It seems easier. 

On 1/4/2023 at 2:04 PM, nachomama said:

In these pandemic times I’ve left more tip on takeout because I know there had been less in person dining. But takeout was usually 10-15% and I don’t know that anybody would ever chase you down.

Thanks for your replies people, 

You actually tip for a “take away” as we call it over here? 
If we get the food delivered the person bringing it will usually get a pound or two but nothing more, if we have to go to the place to pick the food up we never tip anybody. Admittedly we do have a minimum wage here but we only really tip those bringing the food to the table.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:48 PM, Superclam said:

The system is such that tipped workers make less than the minimum wage, assuming they'll be tipped. If they don't make tips, they probably won't even break even for the night after taxes. 

If you’ve got a minimum wage in place, are the tips not added to that figure, or are the tips used to get the wage up to that minimum, if that makes sense?

Over here any server gets paid the minimum wage, based upon their age, then any gratuities are added to that.

In the US, if a person is servicing a table and at the end of the meal the bill comes to $200, at say 20%, is the server expecting a tip of $40?

That to me is a great deal of money, whether it forms part of their minimum wage or Is treated purely as a gratuity or not, especially if the server has several tables in their area. 
Im not for one instance saying these people earn too much, it’s just I’m trying to relate things to our waiting and serving staff over here.

How much is the minimum wage over there? Here, depending upon age it’s about $11 an hour. 

50 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

How much is the minimum wage over there? Here, depending upon age it’s about $11 an hour. 

Oh hahahaha that’s gloriously funny. Minimum wage here is $7.25 an hour. And wait staff do not get that. I wanna say it’s something like $2.35 so yes indeed they require the tips to survive. Yes $40 on a $200 dinner is steep. Granted I’ll never have a $200 dinner. 

with tips, being a server is Like being paid on commission except the commission is not guaranteed. I think it would be interesting to see if restaurants wanted to tally  up and give the servers 10-20% of what they serve in a night. Then see if they’d rather pay minimum wage. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

If we get the food delivered the person bringing it will usually get a pound or two but nothing more, if we have to go to the place to pick the food up we never tip anybody.

I used to give $5 for delivery, but upped it to $10 during the pandemic. Those guys work hard at a shit job. If I order from an app, I'll tip in cash so I know they get it. 

If you’ve got a minimum wage in place, are the tips not added to that figure, or are the tips used to get the wage up to that minimum, if that makes sense?

Wait staff get a minimum wage that is lower than the base minimum wage. If you stiff them, they get screwed. 

if we have to go to the place to pick the food up we never tip anybody.

I'll give at most a dollar if the service is exceptional. I'll often skip this. 

In the US, if a person is servicing a table and at the end of the meal the bill comes to $200, at say 20%, is the server expecting a tip of $40?

Yes, or more. That's how it works. $200 means a bit higher end, which is usually a higher tip. 15% is considered the minimum. Tip $20 and you're getting a dirty look. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Thanks for your replies people, 

If we get the food delivered the person bringing it will usually get a pound or two but nothing more, if we have to go to the place to pick the food up we never tip anybody. Admittedly we do have a minimum wage here but we only really tip those bringing the food to the table.

Over here any server gets paid the minimum wage, based upon their age, then any gratuities are added to that.

That to me is a great deal of money, whether it forms part of their minimum wage or Is treated purely as a gratuity or not, especially if the server has several tables in their area. 
Im not for one instance saying these people earn too much, it’s just I’m trying to relate things to our waiting and serving staff over here.

Take away as in "pick up", I don't tip. 

• Like 2

Do you tip on the total or the before tax amount? I’ve always tipped on the total. Here’s my math. If the bill is 46.72 10% Is $4.70. I double. If it’s $9.40 then  I just round up. 
I have new windows! And shortly new siding. And a fixed porch and repaired shed. I do not like people in and around my house so it’s annoying. All my windows were previously painted shut. And super old. So maybe better utility bills plus just not so run down looking. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 1/10/2023 at 7:31 PM, nachomama said:

Oh hahahaha that’s gloriously funny. Minimum wage here is $7.25 an hour. And wait staff do not get that. I wanna say it’s something like $2.35 so yes indeed they require the tips to survive. Yes $40 on a $200 dinner is steep. Granted I’ll never have a $200 dinner. 

Well once again, thank you people all for your responses, as boring as it must be for you, but if you have a minimum wage, why do waiting staff not qualify for that? Surely minimum means minimum across the board?

20 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Well once again, thank you people all for your responses, as boring as it must be for you, but if you have a minimum wage, why do waiting staff not qualify for that? Surely minimum means minimum across the board?

The theory is because they are tipped workers, they can be paid less because they make it up in tips. Bit of a viscous circle... 

Do people who work on commission get a salary? If you’re a car salesman and you sell none then guy got no paycheck? Real estate agents don’t get paid unless they sell. 
 I got my property taxes lowered. Or frozen whatever you call it. And good thing because neighbor went up for sale and she’s listed at $375k so that would skyrocket me next year. But if I finish my sprucing you and get my plumbing fixed maybe it means I could sell in a year or 2 for like $300k! 

• Like 1