Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
radishcake

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

At the end of the series where Starbuck disappears, what was she really?

Kind of like the end of the Sopranos, no one really knows... 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

Kind of like the end of the Sopranos, no one really knows... 

Yes, we knew Tony was killed and David Chase recently slipped up and said so. I thought it was pretty obvious at the time.

Y’all freaking me out about my tooth. Before the pandemic they referred me to go get a root canal and obviously couldn’t because the whole world shut down. It doesn’t hurt me so that’s good but I can feel something. So now I had my regular cleaning and gotta go schedule it. I’ve only had 2 cavities in my whole life. And neither of those required a shot. I had wisdom teeth out about 5 years ago. That was not fun. 

17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, we knew Tony was killed and David Chase recently slipped up and said so. I thought it was pretty obvious at the time.

Not to pee in anyone's swimming pool (not that you would know if I did except for that unexpected warm sensation) but I have never watched the Sopranos

On a side note, I still haven't watched E.T.

15 hours ago, nachomama said:

Y’all freaking me out about my tooth. Before the pandemic they referred me to go get a root canal and obviously couldn’t because the whole world shut down. It doesn’t hurt me so that’s good but I can feel something. So now I had my regular cleaning and gotta go schedule it. I’ve only had 2 cavities in my whole life. And neither of those required a shot. I had wisdom teeth out about 5 years ago. That was not fun. 

Anything involving teeth is something that I won't wait on.  When I was a young kid, I was running around in the neighbor's cellar, tripped over my shoelaces and broke one front top tooth and the one right next to it didn't break but it was dead as a door nail.  That was my first introduction to root canals.  I had them done on both of those teeth and then crowned.   For me, I prefer to have teeth root cannaled, because I am always afraid that if a broken tooth is just crowned, that it will eventually snap.  My logic behind that is, if the tooth was weak enough to break off a section, exposing the nerve, the tooth IMO can't be all that strong, so that is why I prefer to go down the the root canal and crown root.

My old dentist retired.  I won't go into details as to why.  In any case I am seeing a new dental practice which I hate with a passion.  I have called the hygienist twice about my teeth cleaning and work they have done on my teeth, but for two days in a row they have blown me off and not returned calls.   A lot of dentists in my area have retired, so my dentist options are very slim.  Most dentists aren't taking new patients.  They already have more than they can handle.

I want a root canal done, but they just want to crown or cap it and not do the root canal which I want.  That practice also farms out root canal procedures which I have never heard a dental practice doing before.

You are very lucky that your teeth are in such great shape.

The other reason why I don't wait on anything involving teeth is that it can take quite awhile to get an appointment.  I am in extreme pain and I have to wait two weeks for an appointment to fix the tooth.  They won't let me have anything stronger than over the counter pain meds, and those meds aren't helping.  And, given all of the trouble over the years that I have had with my teeth, my pain tolerance level is pretty high.  Root canals don't bother me in the least.  Unfortunately I have had so many done that I am used to them, but for whatever reason this current broken tooth problem is really off the charts in terms of pain.

Edited by icemiser69

Scheduled my looksee for Dec 4th so they can decide if I need a root canal.

My ballot has been received so I've done my civic duty.

My sister has received SSI so she's off my back. I have mixed feelings, I hate that she's getting a free ride but I can't support her forever. She said she's sending me money to pay me back for what I've spent (Didn't ask for that nor did I put a dollar figure on it)

Learned another aunt has died. This was my Uncle Kenneth's wife, Pat. They were divorced and Kenneth been dead and I probably only met her 3 times in my whole life. Sounds callous but I just kept singing "dead ant, dead ant, deadantdeadantdeadant" (Pink panther theme) but neither of them were great people. Along with learning she had unalived, I learned that at the time she became my aunt, my uncle had impregnated 2 women. Kinda went eeny, meeny, miney mo to pick which he married so you see what lovely people I'm related to. Kenneth was the eldest brother to my dad and he had free reign to beat up all the younger children until my father became too big to whoop. So....how many dead relatives can I have? all.of.them.

• Sad 1

So yesterday when I accidently got caught masterbating on a zoom call.....SAID NO WOMAN EVER. Seriously, wtf? Jeffrey Toobin accidently whipped his schlong out. Our online meetings and so forth are not on camera but even so my paranoia harkens way, way back. I've had tape over every laptop camera hole since the beginning of time.

• Laugh 2

I go on a lot of zoom calls, and I find them most un-arousing. Plus the camera is always aimed from mid-chest up. I usually check my fly before a meeting though. 

We are starting a new project at the work from home job and there have been a lot of "coaching" calls as they tweak the script so I was chatting with one of the supervisors and apparently "I'm dope". One of the people who I'm not sure I've ever even said 2 words with in person and can recall only once ever making them laugh with my antics. He said I'm dope and most agreed, it's not much but I'll take it. I got to air my grievances about the one girl who called me out about answering questions when I'm "not a team leader or a DCA". If no one answers her questions she'll just sit there for 45 minutes waiting.

As a side note, Greek yogurt is basically sour cream. I got a "reduced sugar" one and that makes it even more so. but coconut flavored so I'm having coconut flavored sour cream for breakfast in case anyone cares.

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

As a side note, Greek yogurt is basically sour cream. I got a "reduced sugar" one and that makes it even more so. but coconut flavored so I'm having coconut flavored sour cream for breakfast in case anyone cares.

I care. I care a lot. 

Non-fat Greek yogurt is a free food on my diet plan, but I've never been able to stand yogurt. It looks good, like it would taste like soft-serve ice cream, but then I taste it and yuck. 

It's the greek. I had a lemon and a cherry a while back and there is very little lemon or cherry, it's just sour cream! This is also lower sugar. why, why why is there no such thing as just "lower" sugar when it comes to yogurt or juices etc? Unless you go 100% squeezed out of an orange, blueberry, cranberry etc it's all "added sugar" and if I pick up one that says "less" it's always boosted with the fake stuff. Like Trop 50/50 why isn't it just 50% less of the sugar they would normally add? (I have not reached the pinnacle where a butler squozes my juice for me, I'm at the mercy of what's available and under $6000 per glass) All the concentrates and normal juice you pick up off the shelf is as bad if not worse than any koolaid or soda. I do not want sucralose or aspartame. JUST PUT LESS SUGAR IN THE SHIT. I knew going in that the yogurt was going to be nasty. I'm doing this for my probioticivity. And I can do the regular yogurt any of those critters can work with the innards

Is there anything you can jazz up the yogurt with that would make it a treat and yet still free or close to it? Like freeze the yogurt and put a fruit additional to it? I got frozen strawberries with no added sugar or juice so I thaw them out and put on ice cream, I may put my monk fruit sugar on it if I wanna sweeten it some.

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Is there anything you can jazz up the yogurt with that would make it a treat and yet still free or close to it? Like freeze the yogurt and put a fruit additional to it? I got frozen strawberries with no added sugar or juice so I thaw them out and put on ice cream, I may put my monk fruit sugar on it if I wanna sweeten it some.

I am not on any diet plan, but I do throw flax seed and chia seeds in mine to thicken up the yogurt I eat.  I haven't had greek yogurt.  Cashew yogurt is good, but damn is it expensive.

• Like 1

At this point in my life I am more concerned with sodium than calories.  Sodium causes my blood pressure to spike badly.   When I go and look at something in the grocery store and the calorie count is very low, but the sodium level is absurdly high, it makes that item something that I either can't eat, or I have to severely limit how much of that item I can eat.  In some cases, I have to limit it to less than the recommended serving size.

• Surprise 1

Something I recently learned and I'm willing to try...pistachio butter. Obviously there are nut butters (teehee I said nut butter) you have your tahini, cashew, almond etc and supposedly pistachios offer melatonin so if you had some pistachio butter toast with honey or something before bed it can help you sleep. This is something I need in my life and I like peanut butter and honey and I've questioned "pistachio" flavored ice cream all my life. LIke, there is no "flavor" in pistachio ice cream it's just green at the very least pistachio butter can't taste bad, amiright? If pistachio butter is too expensive or too hard to find I may just pop a few stichpashios in my mouth before bed and get my melatonin thusly.

• Useful 1

To comment on various above:

Sodium, quite literally, is a killer. I'm sure I'm getting too much. 

Almond butter is pretty good, and probably healthier than peanut butter. I've never had pistachio butter. 

On weight watchers, fruit is free, so you can dress up yogurt with any fruit you want. They really push this. You're allowed to use as much non-sugar sweetener as you want, but I think they're unhealthy. 

They also try to get you to use fat free yogurt as a base for salad dressing and like mayonnaise, etc. 

All the concentrates and normal juice you pick up off the shelf is as bad if not worse than any koolaid or soda.

Lol, my mother wouldn't let us have soda, but we could have as much Hi-C and Hawaiian Punch as we wanted. I think was actually worse for you than soda. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

When I go and look at something in the grocery store and the calorie count is very low, but the sodium level is absurdly high, it makes that item something that I either can't eat, or I have to severely limit how much of that item I can eat. 

This is common among "diet food" or "fat free" food. The fat and/or calories may be low, but the sugar and sodium may be sky high. 

• Like 1

This is the time of year to make homemade apple sauce.  It is awesome and easy to make.  I use Cortland apples and throw in some apple pie spices (mostly cinnamon, not much of a nutmeg fan).  I often through in some raisins to add a little sweetness.   I like it to have texture so I leave the apples as they cook a little chunky.  I like my mashed potatoes the same way, a little chunky, not whipped into wallpaper paste.  And no I don't add raisins to my mashed potatoes.

When I use butter, I use no salt butter.

I have had almond and cashew butter.  I like them both.   I don't like natural peanut butter.  Trying to mix the oil that is floating on the top of the jar for me is an impossible task.  I do like chunky peanut butter.

Edited by icemiser69

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Sodium, quite literally, is a killer. I'm sure I'm getting too much. 

Just for giggles, you ought to just try and add it up (the sodium) in what you eat for just one day.  You will probably be shocked.

It does piss me off when some commercials focus so much on calories and fat, but totally ignore sodium content of the foods they are trying to sell.

• Surprise 1

6 hours ago, nachomama said:

It's the greek. I had a lemon and a cherry a while back and there is very little lemon or cherry, it's just sour cream! This is also lower sugar. why, why why is there no such thing as just "lower" sugar when it comes to yogurt or juices etc? Unless you go 100% squeezed out of an orange, blueberry, cranberry etc it's all "added sugar" and if I pick up one that says "less" it's always boosted with the fake stuff. Like Trop 50/50 why isn't it just 50% less of the sugar they would normally add? (I have not reached the pinnacle where a butler squozes my juice for me, I'm at the mercy of what's available and under $6000 per glass) All the concentrates and normal juice you pick up off the shelf is as bad if not worse than any koolaid or soda. I do not want sucralose or aspartame. JUST PUT LESS SUGAR IN THE SHIT. I knew going in that the yogurt was going to be nasty. I'm doing this for my probioticivity. And I can do the regular yogurt any of those critters can work with the innards

I add my own sweet...raw sugar, honey, agave, or pureed berries

• Useful 1

17 hours ago, connieinnc said:honey, agave, or pureed berries

Ding ding. I forgot I have agave. I’ve tried coconut sugar and it wasn’t bad just tasted a little “earthy” 

I got honey roasted pistachios. And I’m gonna make soup this weekend. Potato mushroom and I call it “Portuguese” because I put a Portuguese chorizo in it. Not the Mexican crumbly kind it’s more like an andouille 

and I had tried kefir a while ago...lord give me strength. Ok. Like a drinkable Greek yogurt aside from the fact that it’s disgusting. So today I found a pina colada “drinkable” yogurt with pro biotics. Pray for me. I don’t know if I’ll survive a third attempt at this healthy stuff I’ve tried. 

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Ding ding. I forgot I have agave. I’ve tried coconut sugar and it wasn’t bad just tasted a little “earthy” 

Is that code for dirt?

I don't care what juice anyone buys, it can't be as bad as the dragon fruit/mango juice I bought in the store and it took me a couple months to drink because it tasted like belly button lint.

I have never had acorn squash before.  I am going to have to buy some and try it.  I just don't like the idea of adding brown sugar, nutmeg, and butter to it and roasting it in the oven.  That is the way my mother used to make it, but I was too chicken shit to eat it as a child.  It smelled like pumpkin and I hate the taste of pumpkin.

On Monday, my dentist is going to start to work on that broken tooth.  I have no clue how it will all play out.  I really want it root canaled, because I don't trust it being just capped, but I have a feeling I am going to lose that battle.  If it was my old retired dentist, he wouldn't fight me on it, but this new place I am going to I am not too thrilled with, and I think they are going to be jerks about it.   At least that is every indication that I am getting from them.  They want to call the shots even though I am the one that has to live with the results.  My options are severely limited due to so many dentists retiring, and so many others not accepting new patients.

Edited by icemiser69

I don’t know what’s happening with that post ^ yes it’s code for dirt. I put it in iced tea and it was ok but sort of a grit thing. I’m not sure if baking with it would be better. 
my internet is flaking out on me and that’s not good for my work. I’ve got a tech guy coming Sunday. I think the problem is outside. How dumb does this sound? ... my neighbors tree is launching acorns into my yard. His tree overhangs my shed and the sheer numbers of acorns that are falling on my shed and carport are astounding. Is it bananas to think the acorns are rattling my intertubes? Picture this, my carport has a gutter for rain that kinda pours directly on the back window of my house. The acorns are dropping and rolling right in the same trajectory. And the internet hookup box is directly under that window. I’ve been working from home for 6 months. I’ve been fairly steady online. Hasn’t crapped out on me for most of that time. Today alone it kicked me off 5-6 times. It’s only out for like 2 minutes but I have to get my supervisor to kick me out of the servers I’m on. So I basically have to announce every time I’m not online. I’m gonna get a tree guy to trim the branches because of the annoyance of the noise. It’s 4:51 am and I’m listening to the ricochet now. Sigh. 

• Useful 1

I’m gonna get a tree guy to trim the branches because of the annoyance of the noise. It’s 4:51 am and I’m listening to the ricochet now. Sigh. 

I have a tree guy, but the trees I want to take down are leaning heavily on my property from a neighbor's yard.  No one can seem to get a hold of that neighbor, even though several neighbors have tried to contact that said neighbor for similar reasons.

Apparently one of that neighbor's trees has already hit another neighbor's shed.  That neighbor who owns the shed is not too happy.  He put up another shed.

Pistachio butter I would think would be quite expensive.  And yeah, I love pistachio ice cream, but it doesn't taste much if at all like pistachios.

Edited by icemiser69

16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have a tree guy, but the trees I want to take down are leaning heavily on my property from a neighbor's yard.  No one can seem to get a hold of that neighbor, even though several neighbors have tried to contact that said neighbor for similar reasons.

Don’t worry about the neighbor; his/her tree or not, you have the legal right to deal with any part of it which crosses the property line as you see fit.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

13 hours ago, Nashville said:

Don’t worry about the neighbor; his/her tree or not, you have the legal right to deal with any part of it which crosses the property line as you see fit.

I want to take about four or five trees out completely.  I understand, and appreciate that you are confirming that I can remove the parts that overhang my yard, but so many of those trees are so unstable at root/trunk level that are on his property.  I just don't want those trees falling and wiping out the trees in my yard.  There is one tree on his property that is at least fifty feet tall and its roots are practically ripped out of the ground on one side.  The only thing holding it up is that it wedged itself in a nearby tree also on his property.   The trees on his property are really old and planted too close together.  They were there long before he bought the property.

Edited by icemiser69

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I want to take about four or five trees out completely.  I understand, and appreciate that you are confirming that I can remove the parts that overhang my yard, but so many of those trees are so unstable at root/trunk level that are on his property.  I just don't want those trees falling and wiping out the trees in my yard.  There is one tree on his property that is at least fifty feet tall and its roots are practically ripped out of the ground on one side.  The only thing holding it up is that it wedged itself in a nearby tree also on his property.   The trees on his property are really old and planted too close together.  They were there long before he bought the property.

Even more reason to trim them back from your side of the property line; if they’re likely to fall, take off as much balance weight on your side as you can - so they’ll be more likely to fall the other way.  😉

• Useful 1

@icemiser69 - You can't tresspass to take the trees down. However if you inform your neighbour with a note (email or whatever) or inform the city entity who deals with such things that the trees are dead, dying or a hazard you will have a record in writing that he/she was on notice of that in case one of them falls and damages your property.

• Useful 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, icemiser69 said:

Apparently one of that neighbor's trees has already hit another neighbor's shed.  That neighbor who owns the shed is not too happy.  He put up another shed.

This is why I'm so glad I don't have any real neighbors.  All are on the other side of the street and not even directly across from me.

I'd check the laws where you live.  In some areas, like mine, you just need to inform the homeowner of the problem and they have a certain time period to correct the situation, in most cases 30 days.  If they don't, you can have the problem resolved.

I had a tree hit my house after a really bad wind storm.  It was a pine, so they're shallowly rooted to begin with.  I swear, the floor jumped when it hit.  The insurance adjuster said we were lucky that it hit where it did, otherwise it might have gone straight thru the house.  Which would have been absolutely horrible because my 2 year old son was sitting in his high chair in front of that very wall.

• Sad 1

Internet technician guy came and said I had a bad wire from my house to the box around the corner, then he says there's a bad wire from the box to the wherever hub so he was able to change out me to the pole but the pole to the wherever box will be today. I had internet all day but none last night. Why is it going down in the night? Are there bats sleeping on it? Squirrels chewing it? But it all better be fixed today!

The other evening we bonded at work, I said something silly, supervisor said I'm so funny. I replied "people been laughing at my my whole life" so this kid Patrick piped up with "I been fighting my whole life" I shouted "HARPO"  and the big, big boss piped in with "I fought my daddy, my uncles, my brothers, a girl child aint safe in a family of mens" ....THE COLOR PURPLE. Big boss says it's one of his favorites and he re-reads the book every year and watches the movie, Patrick says "it's my mom's stuff" to which I replied "shut up Patrick don't call us old" If I had any internet this weekend I would have tried to watch the movie. Who knew the color purple would bring us all together?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

@icemiser69 - You can't tresspass to take the trees down. However if you inform your neighbour with a note (email or whatever) or inform the city entity who deals with such things that the trees are dead, dying or a hazard you will have a record in writing that he/she was on notice of that in case one of them falls and damages your property.

I can't get a hold of the owner. I have written to him, and other neighbor's have tried, but no one can get a hold of the owner.   I don't want to raise a big stink, but I don't want to lose any trees either, and I sure as shit don't want to clean up any mess from a neighbor's trees possibly falling.   I just don't want any drama.   I would rather not drag the city into it if it can be avoided.

One tree has hit a neighbor's shed, another tree has hit a different neighbor's fence.

The trees aren't dead yet, but the way they are leaning toward my property it doesn't look the least bit promising that they will stay upright.

For those who don't watch FTWD, if you have any interest in what happened to Dwight's wife, last nights episode was real interesting and made huge strides in that direction.  BTW, FTWD isn't close to recognizable to the way the series started out in season one.

Edited by icemiser69

10 hours ago, madmax said:

It was a pine, so they're shallowly rooted to begin with.  I swear, the floor jumped when it hit. 

I had a huge beech tree break in half and crash to the ground during some kind of wild microburst thing. My whole house shook. The tree considerately landed in the space between my fence and the neighbour's side deck, damaging nothing. Miraculous.

25 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't want to raise a big stink, but I don't want to lose any trees either, and I sure as shit don't want to clean up any mess from a neighbor's trees possibly falling.   I just don't want any drama

I understand totally. I would never want any hostilities with neighours either. Does this person actually live there? I would be afraid he has no insurance and if one of his trees does major damage to your property you'll be stuck with the tab. 😟

• Like 1

Is there a way you can check with city/county if the property is derelict? The owner of record maybe died? If there's no one actually maintaining the property you can maybe have the city/county come declare something and then you can take down the trees that are a hazard (or have them do it). Our city recently went through a whole search of public records to find properties that the owner listed is no longer alive or paying taxes etc and I guess it kinda becomes eminent domain. for us it was within city limits and the city then elects to improve upon the property so that we eliminate blight. Don't know where you live or how rural.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I understand totally. I would never want any hostilities with neighours either. Does this person actually live there? I would be afraid he has no insurance and if one of his trees does major damage to your property you'll be stuck with the tab. 😟

Someone lives there I don't know who.

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Is there a way you can check with city/county if the property is derelict? The owner of record maybe died? If there's no one actually maintaining the property you can maybe have the city/county come declare something and then you can take down the trees that are a hazard (or have them do it). Our city recently went through a whole search of public records to find properties that the owner listed is no longer alive or paying taxes etc and I guess it kinda becomes eminent domain. for us it was within city limits and the city then elects to improve upon the property so that we eliminate blight. Don't know where you live or how rural.

No, it was a recently purchased properly.  I don't know if it was a foreclosure purchase or not.

I went today to the dentist and they prepped the tooth, and I will have to wait a couple of weeks for the next appointment.  If there isn't any pain they will just prep it for a temporary cap.  Otherwise it will be a root canal which they farm out to a specialist.  Apparently root canals are handled differently now.  The last time I had one done many many years ago with my now retired dentist, it took several appointment to get the job done given the number of roots and complications involved with one of my back teeth.  When I was talking to the dental assistant after today's appointment, she was saying a patient had a root canal  done and complete within forty-five minutes.  If I end up heading down the path of a root canal (which I think this is where it is headed) I should be so lucky to get the root canal all done in one visit.

Now I have to make sure I don't eat anything until the numbing in my mouth goes away.  Back in the day as a child, I didn't wait for the numbing sensation to go away and I ended up chewing on my cheek so badly the right side of my mouth looked like a chipmunk's cheek full of seed.

Edited by icemiser69

5 hours ago, nachomama said:

Is there a way you can check with city/county if the property is derelict? The owner of record maybe died? If there's no one actually maintaining the property you can maybe have the city/county come declare something and then you can take down the trees that are a hazard (or have them do it).

Echo this.
 @icemiser69 - contact your city Codes Dept. and ask if “hazard tree” management/responsibility is currently addressed in the city property codes.  If so:

1. The Codes Dept. has legal authority to send out an inspector and assess the level of risk.
  2. If they determine a credible risk exists, the city can contact the owners (they should have a record of the current owners via the property tax records) and inform them of the need to address the hazard.
  3. In most cases if the property owner does not respond or address the identified problem, the city will address it and bill the property owner for the cost - so at least it’ll get taken care of somehow.

In any case:

• Any points of contention will be between the owner and the city, not the owner and you; in general I think most city departments can’t/won’t even disclose who called in a complaint.
  • If the problem isn’t addressed and something happens, then at least you have it on record that you tried to get the issue addressed before it resulted in damage.  Just be sure you keep documentation of your contacts with the city.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If there isn't any pain they will just prep it for a temporary cap.  Otherwise it will be a root canal which they farm out to a specialist.  Apparently root canals are handled differently now. 

My dentist only does root canals in office on certain teeth.  He did mine in office, one visit, but my husband got farmed out to another dentist 45 minutes away.  At least it was only one visit.

• Useful 1

I'm going to have to check with my dentist if I'll be able to talk on the day of my tooth thingy. I've scheduled it for 8 am on a Friday and I normally go to work on the phones at 5, I might be a slobbery mess.

I watched a truly odd movie yesterday. "The Kid Detective". I had never heard of it. It stars Adam Brody of the "California" show a few years back. I thought going in that he had "played" a kid detective on tv and now he's a washed up adult who finds himself trying to solve a real case. Sort of a dark comedy. The premise is that he was "actually" a kid detective. Somehow in this quaint Canadian town a 12 year old solves the mystery of the stolen bike and the missing cat. Kids pay him a quarter and he gets his picture in the paper. His "big" case was finding who stole the fundraising money at the school and it's a guy names "Beansy". But then his 12 year old "secretary" who he pays in "soda pop" goes missing. And it's a real burden on a 12 year old to solve a real crime. Flash forward 20 years and he's a loser and the mystery was never solved. A high school girl comes to him to solve the murder of her boyfriend who was stabbed 17 times. He thinks it's his redemption. Most of this as a dark comedy I can get behind. It's not Twin Peaks but everybody has a quirk. Ya'll it was so weird. I should say it ended so weird.

Today I present "The Dumbest things I've every been threatened to be fired for" Dude sends in a picture of a baseball and they're going to make cards up to sign your name and they put them on the walls kinda like when you buy a shamrock at the grocery store, fundraiser. So I find a baseball online and the middle is white for writing your name and the name of the organization above and below. I gave him a couple of options put the name in a curve around the ball, put one in a "sports" looking font, (the original was like a calligraphy) made some words blue...you know OPTIONS. Neanderthal brother became absolutely unhinged. How dare I have a gradient in the baseball. (it's a white ball on a white background...the better to see you with my dear) was my thinking. Got rid of that. There was no line to write your name (how fucking dumb do you think people are? they won't know where to put their name in the white space in the middle) Even if these are things that you want to say "hey nix this and this" duh, I literally was just giving options and he thinks he has to "explain" to the customer what "clusterfuck" evolved. IT'S GODDAM OPTIONS YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE. The customer had not weighed in but seriously this was not something that needed to lose your shit about. I would love for the customer to choose the one that neanderthal almost had a stroke over.

I want to believe he's in such a shitty mood because his dad died a year ago. I'm sensitive to these things. I understand no one gives 2 fucks that it's also a year since my sister died but I didn't rip anyone's head off over it. But also he's just a raging dick 24/7. I'm going full time at the other job and his functionally illiterate computer self can make all the baseballs he wants by his own damn self.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Been there done that.  Once back in my younger days I made a mistake on a project - nothing insurmountable, mind you; once I discovered the problem I pulled an all-nighter and got everything fixed before anybody else was even aware of it - but being a moderately honest person, I immediately informed my supervisor of the issue (and my correction of it) first thing the next day.  Jim (my supervisor at the time) was normally one of the most laid-back people you ever met, and he seemed okay with everything - then.

Fast-forward to a departmental staff meeting we were having a couple of hours later, though, and it was a totally different story.  I don’t know if one of the agency higher-ups was giving Jim some shit about the situation - or another situation entirely, even - but in the interim between my informing him of the issue and the staff meeting, Jim had gotten a MAJOR burr under his saddle and had apparently decided a public excoriation was in order.  He insisted on spending the entire staff meeting going through a postmortem of the situation - not once, not twice, not three times , but SIX TIMES.  Six times he Q&A’ed me on the problem, its potential ramifications, my corrective actions, its actual ramifications (spoiler alert: there were none), etc., etc. - and throughout each iteration he kept peppering me with “But this was your fault, right?  You did this, right? You wouldn’t have had to fix this if you hadn’t made the mistake in the first place, right?” - and so on.  Six times over.  For something over an hour.

Now, I’ll tell y’all something a couple of things about myself which may surprise some of you.  One of them is I’m Southern (SHOCKERRRR, I know) which is germane to this situation because when interpersonal conflicts arise, my automatic go-to is to try to get everybody calmed down and settled down as politely as possible.  It’s a Southern thing, but one which over the years I’ve come to understand can sometimes be confused with passive-aggressiveness - and Jim, by the way, is from San Francisco.  Another thing (which I’ve come to learn over over the years is FAR less common, especially in the workplace) is when I make a mistake I have zero problems admitting it - and in retrospect that may have been a contributing factor to Jim’s ire; I think maybe Jim kept at me because he was looking for a “gotcha!” moment when me could catch me in an evasion or a lie, and I (unwittingly) wasn’t giving him that. 

In any case, the first two or three times Jim went at me with his “gotcha” questions I simply replied, “Yes” or “yes sir.”  Iterations 4, 5, and 6 that shifted to more like “Yes - as I said before” - and I will allow my stressing on the last four words may have been gradually increasing in both emphasis and volume with each repetition (in my own defense I will simply say that at this point I had not had any sleep, I hadn’t left the building since lunch the previous day, and I’d been living on coffee and the snack machine since).  Anyway - as soon as Round 6 had been completed Jim immediately started in for Round 7, and I kinda snapped REAL Southern on him.  As it was related to me later, I said (rather loudly*) something to the effect of this: 

“Look Jim, what’s your point here, to assign blame?  That's already been done - it was my mistake, I freely admit that, none of this is your fault, it’s all totally on me.  I know that, you know that, everybody in this room knows that, I’m pretty sure [insert regional director’s name here] knows that, and by now the people in the insurance agency down the street probably know that.  So what do you want to do here - work together to get past this, or do a few more rounds of the Blame Game?  Because I have a conference call starting in about fifteen minutes, and I need to know if I should reschedule.  Or is my continued employment here no longer an issue?  Because it isn’t, tell me RIGHT NOW because I am right about done with this shit.”

Well, that was the end of the staff meeting.  And I didn’t get fired, although that’s probably the closest I’ve ever come to getting myself fired.  And Jim never tried so hard to push my buttons again.  And five people bought me lunch over the course of the next couple of weeks (still haven’t quite figured that’un out).  But absent part-time and summer jobs in college, that’s the closest I ever came to outright quitting a job.

* 99% of the time I’m more than usually soft-spoken - but in the interests of full disclosure, my father was a drill sergeant.  And I have been told every now and then (a) I can take after him vocally, and (b) the contrast between that and my normal speech can be pretty damn jarring.

I am not allowed to speak in my own defense. Not even a little bit. And he's the owner with his brother, there is no HR. He spent 20 years as a bouncer and absolutely has an anger management problem. Part of me wants to entice him to hit me and then I sue him for everything he's worth. But I don't think I'd survive the hit, he was that good of a bouncer. There are legendary tales ( he doesn't remember these things but plenty of witnesses do) He picked up a giant football player from some visiting team. Like how you see in movies, lifted from the floor and physically tossed him. And he had the entire team with him that could have started some very serious shit that no single individual was capable of handling. He does black out in times such as these. He has 2 ex wives and even if he never lifted a hand against them I guarantee there was rage and intimidation. I'm the only one he can treat like that around here, his brother and mother obviously not, the other guy was someone that went to high school with him, he can yell but I think he does this because I'm female and I literally have no say. And it isn't the losing my job at this point, I want to walk out, I know I will never win, whatever the outcome he can never be wrong. It is a joke amongst us "don't poke the bear" but there is no cause to ever speak to anyone like that unless I kicked your dog.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:08 AM, nachomama said:

I'm going to have to check with my dentist if I'll be able to talk on the day of my tooth thingy. I've scheduled it for 8 am on a Friday and I normally go to work on the phones at 5, I might be a slobbery mess.

The one thing that I won't do as I have mentioned above is eat anything until all of the numbing goes away.    I probably wouldn't drink a lot either, I would be too afraid that some of the drink would end up on the floor   The pain meds are awesome.

My old dentist used to pinch my cheek as he was shoving that huge ass needle below my gum area so I wouldn't feel the pain from that HUGE NEEDLE, just the pain from him pinching my cheek.  That didn't work.  My cheek and the needle were a bit painful.   The pain never bothered me that much, since I have had it done many times going all the way back to when I face planted and did damage to my two top front teeth as I mentioned above.  It is pretty cool feeling and hearing the needle go through the tissue below the gum area.

There was that doctor that got me laughing really hard as a child and then shoved a needle in my arm and I cried like a baby.   Talk about an immediate emotion switch.

Which tooth are you having the root canal performed on? 

Edited by icemiser69

Are all teeth numbered the same? 19? it's the second from the back on my left hand side.

and...............a car hit the building again. And to be precise 3 cars. That's a total of 10 times over the years. Some girls from the neighboring catholic school ran a red light and slapped a car across the intersection into our building. We heard a loud bang and neanderthal was changing flourescent lights out and I thought he fell off the ladder. We go to look and we got 2 cars smooshed into each other and one other out in the road.

There's something about this light that people ignore. Once about 4 years ago a drunk guy drove into the building and got allllllll the way inside. the curb acted as a launch pad and he was all the way in and hit the back wall of the front room. Once he got himself out of his truck he was locked in the building. drunk as a skunk. I've been here for 4 of these, 3 minor. this one knocked over a bookcase and pushed through drywall. You can't say my life isn't interesting, it's shit, but it aint dull.

IMG_0029.jpg

Edited by nachomama

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Are all teeth numbered the same? 19? it's the second from the back on my left hand side.

Other than the two teeth that I busted face planting, the rest of the root canals were on my back teeth.  I grind me teeth which just makes matters worse.  I do that in my sleep.

I don't know how they number teeth.  I have a big mouth, and still when I had braces they had to pull my wisdom teeth in an effort to realign my teeth.  It was horrible back then with all of the wire in my mouth and sometimes it would cut the back of my mouth when they were making adjustments to the braces.

From my experience, the back teeth were the hardest in terms of having the root canals done.  Just the location alone along with how the roots of my back teeth are located made it that much worse.

I am not sure  what I am going to do with my broken tooth.  They put some goop on it to seal it up and I don't feel any pain due to hot or cold liquids (temperature).  So they probably will just want to cap it.  It is temperature sensitive, not pressure (from biting) sensitive.  If I didn't have to go somewhere else to have the root canal done I would want that done.  That said, I prefer the root canal because I just don't trust that tooth.

I am the biggest wuss on the planet, and I prefer root canals.  From my experience they can't be that bad.   I wouldn't want it done if it was.  I would be doing anything to avoid them if I couldn't deal with the pain, and as I said, I'm a wuss.

When they were cleaning my teeth, the hygienist was yelling out gum measurements to her assistant at such a rapid rate.  I don't know how she kept those numbers straight.

Edited by icemiser69

I am not allowed to speak in my own defense. Not even a little bit. And he's the owner with his brother, there is no HR. He spent 20 years as a bouncer and absolutely has an anger management problem. Part of me wants to entice him to hit me and then I sue him for everything he's worth. But I don't think I'd survive the hit, he was that good of a bouncer. There are legendary tales ( he doesn't remember these things but plenty of witnesses do) He picked up a giant football player from some visiting team. Like how you see in movies, lifted from the floor and physically tossed him. And he had the entire team with him that could have started some very serious shit that no single individual was capable of handling. He does black out in times such as these. He has 2 ex wives and even if he never lifted a hand against them I guarantee there was rage and intimidation. I'm the only one he can treat like that around here, his brother and mother obviously not, the other guy was someone that went to high school with him, he can yell but I think he does this because I'm female and I literally have no say. And it isn't the losing my job at this point, I want to walk out, I know I will never win, whatever the outcome he can never be wrong. It is a joke amongst us "don't poke the bear" but there is no cause to ever speak to anyone like that unless I kicked your dog.

He sounds like a bully, and an asshole. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Superclam said:

He sounds like a bully, and an asshole. 

They do go together, there is no question about that.  People who aren't empathetic tend to be bullying assholes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

“Look Jim, what’s your point here, to assign blame?  That's already been done - it was my mistake, I freely admit that, none of this is your fault, it’s all totally on me.  I know that, you know that, everybody in this room knows that, I’m pretty sure [insert regional director’s name here] knows that, and by now the people in the insurance agency down the street probably know that.  So what do you want to do here - work together to get past this, or do a few more rounds of the Blame Game?  Because I have a conference call starting in about fifteen minutes, and I need to know if I should reschedule.  Or is my continued employment here no longer an issue?  Because it isn’t, tell me RIGHT NOW because I am right about done with this shit.”

Well, that was the end of the staff meeting.  And I didn’t get fired, although that’s probably the closest I’ve ever come to getting myself fired.  And Jim never tried so hard to push my buttons again.  And five people bought me lunch over the course of the next couple of weeks (still haven’t quite figured that’un out).  But absent part-time and summer jobs in college, that’s the closest I ever came to outright quitting a job.

* 99% of the time I’m more than usually soft-spoken - but in the interests of full disclosure, my father was a drill sergeant.  And I have been told every now and then (a) I can take after him vocally, and (b) the contrast between that and my normal speech can be pretty damn jarring.

That is probably something that your co-workers wanted to say, but for whatever reasons chose not to.   They either thought you were being treated unfairly, or they have had similar issues in their lives and could understand what you were going through.  Perhaps both.  Regardless, it must have been a good feeling to have support from your co-workers.

Edited by icemiser69

Man does it suck getting older.  I have never been much for laying out in the sun and all of that, but my mom told me as a child to go out and play in the yard and get some sun.  Something that most mom's most likely did to get their kids out of the house and away from the television.

In any case, I went to the skin doctor and he zapped a couple of those things on the top of my head, and then put a band aid on top.  He said that sun exposure as a child pretty much led up to this, and then he asked me what SPF I was using.   He also told me to wear a hat when I go out side, even if I am in a car to protect myself from the sun.

I guess back in the day people didn't know that much about sun exposure and possible issues.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess back in the day people didn't know that much about sun exposure and possible issues.

Hell no, we didn't.  I remember laying out on my kitchen roof slathered in baby oil so I could get a tan on top of my already half Hispanic complexion.

As we learned more, we slathered sunscreen on ourselves and our children, but sometimes, even that didn't help.  I remember taking my sons to the pediatrician one summer and getting yelled at because they were tan and accused of not using sunscreen.  When I told her that I put sunscreen on them almost hourly when they were outside, that they were tan because of the Hispanic genes in the family, she shut up.  But didn't apologize.

I requested to never see her in the practice again.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, madmax said:

I remember taking my sons to the pediatrician one summer and getting yelled at because they were tan and accused of not using sunscreen.  When I told her that I put sunscreen on them almost hourly when they were outside, that they were tan because of the Hispanic genes in the family, she shut up.  But didn't apologize.

I know it isn’t likely - not for people who aren’t as big an asshole as me, at least - but I would really really love it if your “telling her” went something along along the lines of, “They’re not TAN, you racist moron, they’re Hispanic.  What the hell are you a doctor of, literature?”

• Laugh 3

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I know it isn’t likely - not for people who aren’t as big an asshole as me, at least

We don't think you're an asshole. Even if you are, we love you anyway!😄

• Like 1