Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Raw tomatoes? Don't even want it on my plate.

Homegrown sliced beefsteak tomatoes, sweet and tasting of sunshine, in a sandwich with lots of mayo and pepper are one my great pleasures in life.

One of my childhood friend's family came from England. Her grandmother used to serve blood sausages. I did not eat them.😱

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Homegrown sliced beefsteak tomatoes, sweet and tasting of sunshine, in a sandwich with lots of mayo and pepper are one my great pleasures in life.

One of my childhood friend's family came from England. Her grandmother used to serve blood sausages. I did not eat them.😱

I would try blood sausage before I would try a beefsteak tomato. 

• LOL 2
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

On entirely different topic.  The best Looney Tunes character (and it isn't close) is foghorn leghorn 

Can someone explain the popularity of Popeye?  I just don't get it.  What did he see in Olive Oyl anyway?   Which brings up the old joke of how Popeye kept his "tool" from getting rusty.

I never understood the popularity of Deputy Dog, Heckle and Jeckle, or Woody Woodpecker.

You just named all my dads favorite characters. He loved some foghorn leghorn, Popeyes and friggin woody woodpecker. He did an excellent woody woodpecker. Also did a fantastic Donald duck. 
I cannot explain the appeal other than most of these had no “plots” basic lather, rinse, repeat story lines. I know the older the cartoon is the more it’s based on producing cheaply. Mickey didn’t talk. Woody didn’t talk. I don’t think heckle and jeckle talked. Roadrunner too. Foghorn at least was clever in his speech. My dad even made us watch the dang popeye movie with robin Williams. According to critics and box office it was a flop but I didn’t care it was ok for me as a kid. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I like Portobella mushrooms They have a distinctive flavour and can be used in place of some meats.

Totally. You can eat them like a burger. 

37 minutes ago, nachomama said:

you just named all my dads favorite characters. He loved some foghorn leghorn, Popeyes and friggin woody woodpecker.

When I would come home from school, it was Popeye, Woody Woodpecker and then Looney Tunes. Still my favorites. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, icemiser69 said:

On entirely different topic.  The best Looney Tunes character (and it isn't close) is Foghorn Leghorn.

No way.  Pepe LePew kicks Foghorn right in his leghorn.

9 hours ago, Superclam said:

When I would come home from school, it was Popeye, Woody Woodpecker and then Looney Tunes. Still my favorites. 

My favorites were Looney Tunes, followed closely by Rocky and Bullwinkle/Fractured Fairy Tales.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

No way.  Pepe LePew kicks Foghorn right in his leghorn.

I respectfully disagree. Pepe is funny, but so one-note. Not to mention the sexual harassment suits. 

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

My favorites were Looney Tunes, followed closely by Rocky and Bullwinkle/Fractured Fairy Tales.

Those were freakin' clever. 

• LOL 1
On 1/16/2021 at 9:46 AM, Superclam said:

Nope. Not waiting for the pop, not watching that, and you can't make me. 

I second that. I know this guy (who the hell is named "Bear" anyway?) is very popular but I can't stand the sight of him and do NOT want to watch him eating bugs, or drinking pee or doing any of his other disgusting tricks.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

when a friend is having relationship trouble, you have to be real careful in what way you are being supportive.  If that friend starts verbally trashing their significant other, it is important to stay out of it and not join in.  Joining in can cost you that friendship.   That is especially the case if that friend and his or her significant other work things out and stay together.

Yep. Learned the hard way that 1 they break up 2 you say “you deserve so much better. He’s a douchebag 3 they get back together. 4 she tells him you hate him. 5 he doesn’t let you see each other anymore. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

On a side note, I will say that I know for sure that when a friend is having relationship trouble, you have to be real careful in what way you are being supportive.  If that friend starts verbally trashing their significant other, it is important to stay out of it and not join in.  Joining in can cost you that friendship.   That is especially the case if that friend and his or her significant other work things out and stay together.

My brother is CONSTANTLY bitching about his wife, saying he's going to divorce her, etc.  Even tho I don't like her anymore (we were best friends at one time), I won't say a bad word against her.  I know it'll come back to bite me in the ass.  So just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.

• Love 3

I made meatloaf last night. Why do I love meatloaf sandwiches so much? It's the closest thing I come to meal prepping. I made taco salad for last night and with the leftover hamburger I made a meatloaf. I smell like meatloaf and it's worth it.

I spoke with my niece (in prison) and her daughter just got picked up on probation violation so they're both in jail again. #WINNING They can keep the daughter, seriously I'm done with her. If you're too stupid to do the paperwork you need to remain free then stay in jail. Her boyfriend got out several months ago and she had been doing very well but now, of course, she loses focus. And I'm fairly torqued off at my niece too (her mother). I give up, they stupid.

18 hours ago, nachomama said:

Yep. Learned the hard way that 1 they break up 2 you say “you deserve so much better. He’s a douchebag 3 they get back together. 4 she tells him you hate him. 5 he doesn’t let you see each other anymore. 

Or - and actually I’ve encountered this MUCH more frequently - 4a She remembers all the bad things you said about the man she (currently) loves, and 5a SHE doesn’t want to see you any more.

...until the next time they break up, that is, and she comes running to you crying “oh I’m so sorry you were right all along...” - which lasts until the next time they get back together.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Or - and actually I’ve encountered this MUCH more frequently - 4a She remembers all the bad things you said about the man she (currently) loves, and 5a SHE doesn’t want to see you any more.

Eggsackly! When an old friend of mine complains about her husband, I never say, "What a jerk!" because when they get over their tiff she'd know I think she married and stays with a jerk. I just mumble platitudes like, "Oh, well - we all have our ups and downs...everyone has their disagreements," and other generic crap.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Or wanting someone around when no one else is available, no other options.  A friendship of last resorts.

I had a friend like that. We were pals, were even in a band, and then he found a girlfriend and I was ghosted. Then she left him for another woman, and I was popular again. 

You were in a band? 

What did you do in the band?

How did you feel when you became best buds again?   Did you have any reaction at all, or did you just let it go?

I played bass in a lot of crappy rock bands, mostly in the 90s. We didn't really become best buds again. I became friends with the drummer of our first band together. The drummer and I formed another band, and later this guy joined that band. I kind of let it go. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nachomama said:

I made meatloaf last night. Why do I love meatloaf sandwiches so much? It's the closest thing I come to meal prepping. I made taco salad for last night and with the leftover hamburger I made a meatloaf. I smell like meatloaf and it's worth it.

I could fall in love with a woman who smells like meatloaf. 

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This site has been pretty wonky lately, I am beginning to wonder if it is being held together with baling wire and number two pencils.  Signing in to post has been pretty hit and miss.

It does have technical problems. A few days ago I got that "504" error. Today it's just a bit sluggish. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

It does have technical problems. A few days ago I got that "504" error. Today it's just a bit sluggish. 

The bad gateway error?  I was getting that earlier today.

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That sounds like a placeholder/doormat type of relationship.  Wanting someone around when they need them, and not wanting them around when they don't need them.  Or wanting someone around when no one else is available, no other options.  A friendship of last resorts.

I think it’s more of a “my one sane friend” type of relationship - which gets inconvenient when they don’t want to acknowledge the sanity.

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, Superclam said:

I played bass in a lot of crappy rock bands, mostly in the 90s. We didn't really become best buds again. I became friends with the drummer of our first band together. The drummer and I formed another band, and later this guy joined that band. I kind of let it go. 

Ok so is it true that the drummer and lead singer are always just bananas? the bass is really the only cool dude anyway. :D

I get the 504 once in a while.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Ok so is it true that the drummer and lead singer are always just bananas? the bass is really the only cool dude anyway. 😄

I agree with you about the bass player, of course. I've always been cool with the drummers. The lead singers can be a bit full of themselves, as you might imagine. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

@Nashville

Is Tannehill good enough to help win the Titans' a Super Bowl, or is he just a stop gap until they find someone better?

Tannehill is more than good enough, if they can put the right tools (read: a fully capable group of wide receivers) around him.  The Titans need more of a multifaceted offensive strategy; Derrick Henry is incredible, but even he can’t do it all on his own.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

So, you know how to read music?  

I took a lot of theory classes, and can figure out a piece, but I can't sight read. 

Since a BASS guitar only has four strings, is it easier to play than a six string guitar?

To be honest, it's probably easier to jump into playing rock bass at a beginner level. Any instrument is difficult to master. 

Can you play a six string guitar?

Yes. If I play bass at a B level, I can play guitar at a C- level. 

• Useful 1

I have no idea why "bass" rhymes with "ass" when it's a fish, and "ace" when it's a musical range. Or, for that matter, why enough doesn't rhyme with through. 

Anyone can play an instrument. You don't have to learn how to read music, and you don't have to be Eddie Van Halen to play guitar. It's supposed to be fun, and a lot of people miss that. 

10 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I have no idea why "bass" rhymes with "ass" when it's a fish, and "ace" when it's a musical range. Or, for that matter, why enough doesn't rhyme with through. 

Simple, really; English is one fucked-up language.

10 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Anyone can play an instrument. You don't have to learn how to read music, and you don't have to be Eddie Van Halen to play guitar. It's supposed to be fun, and a lot of people miss that. 

I have a guitar waiting for me to retire and have the time to learn how to play it properly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I can't sing a lick. 

Neither can I. As my mother used to say, "I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket." Even so I love to sing along to my favorite songs and I do, but confine it to my car so as not to traumatize anyone.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I can't sing a lick.

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Neither can I.

My “singing” makes cat sex sound like an operatic aria - but damned if that’s stopped me yet.

My dogs like it, though, so I have a fan base of 2.

• LOL 3

I can read music but that does not mean I can play anything. I played french horn in middle school, I was terrible. I know all the technical things one must do, I just have a complete and utter lack of being able to do it. When we had performances I would pretend to blow into my french horn because I knew I'd be the one going BLAAAAAAAAAAAT  during a rest or something. It's like I know how to shoot pool, I know when to hit it hard or soft, low or high, angles and all that jazz, my elbow and arm just refuse to follow through. I worked in a laundromat in high school. My friend's family owned the place and there was a "rec room" attached with a pool table so in down times we played pool. My eye/hand coordination leaves a lot to be desired. My sister does have some musical ability. She got a keyboard for christmas one year and she could peck out the tunes from tv. She would play the theme song for the A-team and jeopardy. She could play by ear and sort of sound it out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

I played french horn in middle school, I was terrible.

Me too! On both accounts! I was so bad they moved me to third trumpet, and I wasn't much better. 

I sing at a D- level, but I still enjoy it. I've sang backup in some bands, but mostly yelling. I sang lead on a Stooges song once. 

For me, getting together with friends and jamming or doing covers of old rock songs is about as fun as you can get. 

• Love 1

Our school was so small that if your parents didn't buy you the instrument you wanted to play you basically chose out of a closet. Obviously the cutey cute girls played flute, the nerdy cute girls played clarinet. My friend Michele played trumpet and I wanted to sit by her, I think my choices were bassoon, tuba and french horn. Sincerely I was the worst. I may have told this story before but there was a kid named Nathaniel who also played trumpet, his nickname was Nutty. You'll soon see why. He was dared to drink the spit valve and it was the nastiest thing I've ever seen in my whole life. He was nutty all right and he died young, cuz his head was not screwed on quite right.

For me, maybe a kazoo, or comb with wax paper, that is about it.  i have no musical talent.  I appreciate your optimism.   If you bottled, I would by it.  I am serious.  

Well, I could sell cocaine, but I don't have the disposition for that. 

To clarify, I do believe you (or anyone) can be taught to how to play a simple song on guitar, bass or keyboards. Will you be pro? Play like Hendrix? Unlikely, but you will still be better than you were before, and have fun doing it. 

I also do not sing and do not karaoke although in the few occasions when I've belted out a song amongst my friends and did so with gusto and "sold" it. It's very entertaining which could be very good at karaoke. If you just sing badly you're boring but if you sing badly and choreograph it badly and just do it super over the top you're highly entertaining.

I think I won $10 in the big super mega power lotto, it's the powerball plus 1 number but I'll roll it over and try to win a billion.

34 minutes ago, nachomama said:

if you sing badly and choreograph it badly and just do it super over the top you're highly entertaining.

That is the secret of karaoke. I hate those jerks who can really sing. 

35 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I think I won $10 in the big super mega power lotto, it's the powerball plus 1 number but I'll roll it over and try to win a billion.

I played both Mega and Powerball. Not a penny. 😞

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Am I the only one that remembers Mr. Microphone

We had a mr. microphone! Coulda been a generic but they were junk anyway.

We also had a coca-cola radio. Looked like a bottle of coke and you dialed a station on the bottom and bubbles were holes for the speaker. Also junk! Snoopy snow cone machine? JUNK! slip n slide JUNK!

• Useful 1

The King of Queens karaoke episode is hysterical.  

I live in Queens, but I've seen exactly 1 episode of King of Queens. And I can remember the exact date, because my wife and I watched it in the hospital the day my kids were born. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Superclam said:

That is the secret of karaoke.

That’s not just the secret of karaoke, that’s the whole point.  😉

19 hours ago, Superclam said:

I hate those jerks who can really sing. 

Really?  I love them, because they’re hilarious - especially here in Nashville where every tourist who’s had a few drinks in one of the downtown karaoke joints steps onto the stage, grabs the mike, and suddenly gets the notion they’re auditioning for American Idol.  I can only assume they think there’s a molecule of a chance they might get accidentally “discovered” by a talent scout who’s going to offer them that BIG BREAK of which they’ve always dreamed (spoiler alert: it don’t work that way - and if you think that’s what’s happening to you, check your wallet when they’re gone in the morning).  Even if the performer DOES has a decent voice, the over-the-top performance histrionics can be priceless. 🤣🤣🤣

19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Am I the only one that remembers Mr. Microphone

No.  
I prefer not to remember them, though.

Next question, please.

• LOL 2
57 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I can only assume they think there’s a molecule of a chance they might get accidentally “discovered” by a talent scout who’s going to offer them that BIG BREAK of which they’ve always dreamed

Now that part is funny. 

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

So what would you guys and gals do if any of you had won or wins all of that money?

Mr. Max and I quitting work is the very first thing.  But I have a whole scenario planned out that starts with me taking a bulldozer to the house I live in right now so I could build bigger and better.

Pay off all my debt (which isn't much, just Rugrat #1's school loan).

I work for a non-profit, so I'd set up a couple funds there for the charity.

Give relatives xx amount of money and tell them I'm no ATM, what you get is all you get.

Travel, if travel is ever safe again.

Of course, you have to play to win. 😄

• Love 1

A couple of questions for anyone that is willing to answer.

Are there people who don't like you, and do you care that they don't like you?

Do you just say to yourself "screw it" and move on, or do you need to know why you aren't liked?

Probably, and it depends on the person if I care or not. If they're someone I used to be friends with, I'd like to know why. If it someone at work who doesn't really know me, I don't care too much. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know how easy it would be for a lottery winner to live in the same place.  I would imagine in most cases people would have to move just to get away from all of the relatives they never knew they had.

I believe in my state, you can claim it via a trust, which essentially makes it anonymous.  Obviously some people will know, but like I said, they would get what they got and they wouldn't get anymore.  Most of my relatives are jackasses anyway who don't even deserve anything.

Do you just say to yourself "screw it" and move on, or do you need to know why you aren't liked?

The only person I know for sure doesn't like me is my brother's wife, who used to be my best friend.  In the over 35 years that I've known her, she's gotten mad at me and refused to speak with me 3 times, once because I wouldn't watch her son so she could go to the funeral of one of my relatives, second because I didn't return her call immediately when she called while I was bathing my infant son.  Both times, she made apologies and overtures and we began speaking again.  Most recently, when I didn't follow her wishes and get her son a gift card for his birthday after we said YEARS earlier that we wouldn't buy gifts for each others' children, she quit speaking to me.  This time, tho, there will be no reconciliation.  Because she wasn't speaking to me, she blocked my phone number on my brother's cell phone.  This was when my father was gravely ill and I wouldn't have been able to get a hold of my brother had something happened.  So she's pretty much dead to me now.  I know why she doesn't like me, I don't care.  

If there are others that don't like me, I don't need to know why.  I got plenty others that do like me. 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yes, there are people who don't like me (I can't imagine why!😆) and even a couple of ex-friends. Things like that used to upset me terribly when I was very young and cared what others thought of me. Now? I just say,"Fuck em!" End of story.

ratsass9ccaf6.jpg

• LOL 2

In general I agree with you, but I draw the line when there is a concerted effort to make someone a social outcast.  Meaning, a friend no longer likes someone anymore, and they aren't happy with that.  They need to make sure everyone else cuts off contact with that person as well.

For sure there are people like that. I'm not one of them and neither is anyone I know. That kind of behavior is deranged.

I don't even wish ill on former friends. In fact, I wish them well.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, icemiser69 said:

Are there people who don't like you

Oh hell yes.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, icemiser69 said:

and do you care that they don't like you?

Oh hell no.

On 1/23/2021 at 3:53 AM, icemiser69 said:

I draw the line when there is a concerted effort to make someone a social outcast.  Meaning, a friend no longer likes someone anymore, and they aren't happy with that.  They need to make sure everyone else cuts off contact with that person as well.

Anybody like that?  Fuck ‘em.  I decide with whom I will and will not associate, not anybody else - and if you have a problem with that, then you’re a manipulative controlling prick I don’t want in my life anyway.  True friends don’t try to dictate how you live your life, and false friends aren’t worth the effort.

• Love 3

I have a friend, ahem, who gave me used booze for christmas. As in, said to me, oh I had this on my dresser for like a year and it was clearly opened, it was a bucket of mini rums. If you wanted to regift, you did not have to tell me. Put them in a bag, you're still calling me an alcoholic but you're not calling me an alcoholic who doesn't deserve first dibs. So then she invites me to christmas dinner about 6 hours before christmas dinner. who does that? And lastly, for New Years I went to her house (friend with her roommate as well) and roommate had invited her niece over and maybe 1 other person. (Neither showed) so maximum of 4 people potentially and she locked her bathroom door. Hers is the "family" bathroom in the home. Roommate does have her own smaller bathroom. Her level of petty was to lock out anyone who came but since I"m the only one who did...she locked me out of her bathroom. So this is not a person who likes me. Handwriting on the wall, plain as day. I will not be expending any effort there.

I guess I'm chiefs again this year.

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

True friends don’t try to dictate how you live your life, and false friends aren’t worth the effort.

Quite so! I had a friend who, no matter what I said, would argue why I was wrong. In fact, everything I did was wrong - the job I had, the way I lived my life, the fact that I made a cake for my husband ("Let him make his own cake!") but the funny thing is that with all the terrible choices and blunders I made I miraculously ended up in a fairly nice house, with a well-paying job and a good man. She got fired from every job she had because she couldn't get there on time and insulted her bosses, her boyfriend threw her out,  and she eventually ended up cleaning toilets in a major hotel. Of course, all that was someone else's fault. Obviously.

The last time she called me, years ago, and started ranting, I simply hung up on her. Damn, that felt good - cutting the loose the albatross I'd been dragging around.😀

• Love 3
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

So then she invites me to christmas dinner about 6 hours before christmas dinner. who does that?

Someone who doesn't want to be alone, but doesn't want to be a friend. 

d she locked her bathroom door. Hers is the "family" bathroom in the home. Roommate does have her own smaller bathroom. Her level of petty was to lock out anyone who came but since I"m the only one who did...she locked me out of her bathroom.

That is just bizarre. 

I guess I'm chiefs again this year.

The Bills were the last time I was interested in, so I honestly don't care about the SB this year. I hear even the commercials will be affected. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

the fact that I made a cake for my husband ("Let him make his own cake!") 😀

I will never judge you on making his cake. tf? One would think it's about the minimum you can do and perhaps he cannot make you a cake but one hopes he acknowledges somehow in his own way.

There are memes on TikTok because some woman posted how she makes her husbands lunch and went to great lengths to essentially spell out her dedication to her husband. Which I do not judge how anyone lives their life, sometimes I look at the "lunch" memes and laugh because they're putting 4 grapes and they do those little bento boxes and no man I ever knew wants this lunch that seems designed for a 2nd grader. My mom made my dads lunches but they were big honking sandwiches and leftovers.

7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

The Bills were the last time I was interested in, so I honestly don't care about the SB this year. I hear even the commercials will be affected. 

I just dont like Tom Brady

• Useful 1
  • Love 1