Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

No, just that horrible jingle. It's been playing here for what seems like a decade. I was just wondering if it was a local thing, or if the whole country is subjected to it. 

I don't know. Never saw that ghastly thing before. I watch mostly cable, rarely watch the big 3 broadcast channels, so I may be out of its range. When I'm watching my TIVO recordings, I skip most commercials.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

I did a google search. Do you mean that annoying brain killing commercial or is there something more?

No, that’s the one.

18 hours ago, Superclam said:

No, just that horrible jingle. It's been playing here for what seems like a decade. I was just wondering if it was a local thing, or if the whole country is subjected to it. 

Oh no, it’s been national for several years now - ads on cable TV and satellite radio, primarily on the news stations.

• Useful 2
On 12/13/2020 at 3:16 AM, Nashville said:

A little additional data for you - check out #39 on this page.

It’s always the 💰 that gets you in the end, we get a few shows on the list over here,storage wars and pawn stars definitely attracting the most gullible of viewers. Expert- “it’s worth $40,000”, any member of the thieving family- “we’ll give you $3,000”, stooge customer-“duh can you go up to $3,500”  uuuuuuhhhhhhh🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
On 12/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Expert- “it’s worth $40,000”, any member of the thieving family- “we’ll give you $3,000”, stooge customer-“duh can you go up to $3,500”

I like watching Pawn Stars, just for the antiquities. I rapidly FF over the stupid manufactured family dramas and clowning around. Customers don't have to take the money they are offered and are free to take their chances at an auction or to try and sell their items themselves, online or whatever.  If they want or need cash in hand right then and sell their stuff at a greatly reduced price (a price they may never get on their own), that's their choice and there is no thievery, IMO.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I think he stuck the needle in five different spots around that tooth in order to numb it up.

Having had work done with needles and with general anesthetic, my opinion is that the needles are the cause of the pain. When I had something done using gas, there was zero pain afterwards.

• Useful 1

I hope you feel better soon, icemiser.  It sucks to feel like shit around the holidays.

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

And this is the first dentist I have had that jacked me really high in the chair and wanted my head to be lower than my feet

My dentist always works like that and I hate it because I get nauseated and completely lightheaded when he finally lets me up, but I really like the guy.  I just put up with the misery.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

@Superclam

So how much snow did you get from the big winter storm?   Did you have to shovel?

It's still snowing a bit, but I think the final total will be about 10", which is a lot, but not really earth-shattering. I don't have to shovel because I live in an apartment! 

• Love 1

@icemiser69 - I know you didn't ask me about the snow, but I thought I'd share. 😉

We ended up with about 10 inches.  My son was driving from NC to Pittsburgh during the storm.  Took him 15 hours.

I don't have to shovel, either.  Mr. Max just uses the front loader and moves the snow off the driveway.  No sidewalks. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I finally had my root canal performed today.   It was more painful than ones I have had in the  past.  No, not while he was performing the root canal.  The pain is happening after the pain killer has worn off, and the pain is getting steadily worse.  I think he stuck the needle in five different spots around that tooth in order to numb it up.  Plus I hate that rubber thing they clamp inside my mouth.  I always think I am going to end up swallowing my tongue.   And this is the first dentist I have had that jacked me really high in the chair and wanted my head to be lower than my feet, for some reason that was supposed to reduce my urge to swallow.  It didn't, I had really bad dry mouth.  Plus the smell was really bad.   I assume the smell was from drilling and filing inside that tooth.

I was surprised the he was able to perform the procedure in one visit.  Most of the ones I have had in past years took more than one visit.  Total time in the chair was about forty-five minutes.   It seemed much longer than that.

Hope you get to feeling better, and sorry yours was so painful.  
I’ve had one root canal in my life (so far), and given the horror stories I’d heard from others having the same procedure I was expecting something akin to a starring role in a Saw movie.  Frankly I was surprised both during and afterwards at how much it didn’t hurt - but I suspect a strongly ameliorative aspect of my experience was the plain and simple fact that the endodontist performing my procedure was completely and utterly unfuckingbelievably total smokeshow HAWWWWWT; so much so, in fact, I forgot what I was there for until she said, “All done!”  Unarguably the best dental experience I’ve ever had in my life.  😁

• LOL 2

So - did you ever post something on Facebook which was apparently just SOOOO evil and mean and nasty and awful and offensive and what-all, that FB just immediately deleted it out of pure reflex?

Yeah, I did THAT again.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

See, now maybe if you had shed a tear or two she might have given you a hug.

Naw, that’ve been no good; one hug from her, and I’d have been her next restraining order.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

So - did you ever post something on Facebook which was apparently just SOOOO evil and mean and nasty and awful and offensive and what-all, that FB just immediately deleted it out of pure reflex?

These days, you could post a picture of a cute puppy with some bland Hallmark poem under it and it WILL cause someone, somewhere, to take great offense. My advice is to stay away from FB, eBay, and Craigslist. There are rare exceptions, but in general nothing good can come from utilizing these sites.

• Love 1

I use facebook to keep up with old friends and relatives I'm far away from. I do NOT post or comment on political or controversial posts. It's amazing how many of the people I went to junior high with are experts in virus transmission, U.S. civics, and of course currently, U.S. election law. 

9 hours ago, Nashville said:

I see lately that a lot of people are complaining about their seemingly innocuous posts being deleted from facebook. I think there's a new algorithm that does it, and they're really not interested in any appeals. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't go anywhere near any other social media sites.

You're not missing that much. I like facebook and I do instagram, because it's just pictures without the bullshit. I don't read the comments, anyway. I don't go near Twitter. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Regardless, I only post in these forums.   I don't go anywhere near any other social media sites.

Same here.  I had a FB page at one point, before things got out of hand.  It kept getting hacked, so I just ended it.  I did join again when my son was in boot camp because there were some really great parents' groups, but as soon as he graduated, I was out again.

This is the only place I post as well.  I used to post a few other places, but I had to abandon one when I started getting stalked and another shut down.

15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Would you care to talk about it?  We are here to help.   Just lay down on the couch and tell us what happened.

Awww... someone had posted on one of my town’s FB forums asking if mask wearing was supposed to be mandatory in our county now (spoiler alert: yes), and some dipshits started holding forth about how masks were an infringement on their personal liberties and didn’t really do anything and it was their body/their choice and so on - and Karin-ing and snowflake-ing anybody who voiced a dissenting viewpoint.  
So I kicked out a post stating it was people like them who had put a relative of mine in the ground within the past week, and they were all arrogant self-centered assholes who should fuck off and die.  

You know, the usual.

14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

These days, you could post a picture of a cute puppy with some bland Hallmark poem under it and it WILL cause someone, somewhere, to take great offense.

Pretty sure I didn’t reference puppies.

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

I see lately that a lot of people are complaining about their seemingly innocuous posts being deleted from facebook. I think there's a new algorithm that does it, and they're really not interested in any appeals. 

To be fair, I don’t think anybody would’ve considered my post to fall within the “seemingly innocuous” category - but damned if I give a shit.

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Long ago, there was a time when our differences were celebrated as being unique individuals.   Sadly that no longer seems to be the case.

If you have an opinion or even a thought that is not generic and calculated to cause offense to no one on the planet you better keep it to yourself. Even facts and statistics can now be seen as offensive according to the New Agenda.

12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't really see the point of Facebook. 

I do understand the original intent of Facebook - connecting with people you hadn't seen in a while (high school classmates, etc.) or relatives far away.  I don't care to connect with high school classmates and I don't like dealing with my relatives in town, let alone the ones far away.

It's become a cesspool of random rule enforcing, and if you happen to break whatever rule is being enforced at the time, you're put in time out.  I have a friend who insists he's going to quit, but never does, then complains when he's banned.  Just give it up already.  It's not worth the aggravation.

• Love 1

Am I the only one that feels bad for people who have their first name as Karen?  I know I am out of the loop when it comes to most things, but just reading about the term "Karen" was something I hadn't heard before.

Yeah, I have a friend named Karen who is a perfectly lovely woman who likely doesn't ask to see the manager nor does she have a spikey blond haircut. She's definitely over the Karen thing. I also feel bad for anyone named Felicia. 

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't mean to pry, but a few weeks back I think you said that you were going to be going into the hospital?  I hope everything is okay. 

Yes, I did have the surgery on the 9th, thank you for asking! I've just been taking it easy and even doing something I haven't done for over 10 years and that is vegging out in front of the TV in the afternoons. In my desperate search for something I might like,  I thought maybe I'd even try to watch "Game of Thrones" which everyone else seemed to like so much.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:53 PM, Nashville said:

some dipshits started holding forth about how masks were an infringement on their personal liberties and didn’t really do anything and it was their body/their choice and so on

Their personal liberties do not include the right to infect someone else with an illness that may kill them, you wooden-headed cretinous jerkoffs. My sister-in-law has an auto-immune disease and this virus would definitely kill her, but hey - don't tell me what to do with my body!

Seriously, I think people had more common sense during the actual Bubonic Plague and they didn't even know what a germ or bacteria was.

• Love 3

I have been watching a lot of old black and white Gunsmoke episodes that I have never seen before.  The writing there is far better than just about on anything that is airing right now. 

The very early, B/W episodes were often very dark and violent and yes, better than anything around these days, IMO , which is not surprising since Sam Peckinpah wrote a fair number of them.

It is frustrating when INSP (cable channel) apparently doesn't allow certain language, but has no problem showing characters on Gunsmoke getting shot.

I have a channel on my antenna that is only movies from the 30's up until around the 80's. One night at around 12:30a.m. I switched it on and "Staying Alive" was playing. When the family is arguing at the dinner table, the word "shit" was deleted. I guess it was felt that any adults watching at that hour might go into shock at the word. How bizarre.

Yes, can watch Marshal Dillon or Lucas McCain gun down hundreds of people and be beaten, tortured, whipped or shot as long they never yelled, " Damn it!" That would have been going way too far.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Superclam said:

Yeah, I have a friend named Karen who is a perfectly lovely woman who likely doesn't ask to see the manager nor does she have a spikey blond haircut. She's definitely over the Karen thing.

Actually I believe accurate usage of the term is supposed to be “Caren”, not “Karen”.

https://youtu.be/S6vlu1FRaic

I also feel bad for anyone named Felicia. 

I guess I am going to have to look that one up.  I guess I am more out of the loop than I thought. 

That’s an oldie:

Bye_Felicia.jpg.thumb.JPG.551f3d06d8e39170c6773286e780c95c.JPG

• LOL 2
46 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Actually I believe accurate usage of the term is supposed to be “Caren”, not “Karen”.

I dispute that, but this Caren is giving a textbook example of being a Karen. Caryns and Karons are not exempt! 

47 minutes ago, Nashville said:

That’s an oldie:

Bye_Felicia.jpg.thumb.JPG.551f3d06d8e39170c6773286e780c95c.JPG

I was at my daughter's junior high basketball game, and there was a girl named Felicia (or maybe Phylicia?) on the other team. The girls were not kind. 

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I dispute that, but this Caren is giving a textbook example of being a Karen. Caryns and Karons are not exempt! 

Yeah, I was just having fun; how perfect was it, though, that this Karen’s name was actually Caren? 😆

FYI - the male counterpart is Kyle.

I was at my daughter's junior high basketball game, and there was a girl named Felicia (or maybe Phylicia?) on the other team. The girls were not kind. 

Junior high and high school girls frequently aren’t, regardless of their target’s name.

Edited by Nashville
Added stuff
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Junior high and high school girls frequently aren’t, regardless of their target’s name.

I have 13 year old twin daughters. There are no creatures more cruel on this planet. 

15 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Yeah, I was just having fun; how perfect was it, though, that this Karen’s name was actually Caren?

She has the voice, the name and the look. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I have 13 year old twin daughters. There are no creatures more cruel on this planet. 

My daughters are now 32 and 29, so I’ve already run the gamut - and trust me, you’ve only just begun.

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

She has the voice, the name and the look. 

And the same twisted-up fucked-up brain - don’t forget the brain!  😄

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

When I went to school there wasn't any cruelty among girls.  There wasn't a girl fight or argument that I saw at school.  Perhaps that happened away from school or at other school functions that I never attended?

Their cruelty to each other is much more subtle and much more hurtful than an after-school scrap.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

What's funny is that my parents had 4 boys and 2 girls.  Me and my sister both had two boys.  My brother had 4 girls before he finally got the boy.  He was ready to quit after 4 but my SIL REALLY wanted that boy to carry on the name.  Good thing one of those blue sperm finally swam faster or he might have ended up with a Walton sized family, but mostly girls.

My other brothers never had children.

• Love 1

I guess it's kinda sad (or not) that on both sides of my family our name stops with us. My mother's only brother was married but technically gay and never had any kids. Out of 4 boys on my dads side there were only 2 boys and one died at 23-24 with no kids and the other only had a girl. and based upon most family members I've met on my dad's side this is not a tragedy.

I don't think this year is any different for me but I'm not feeling the spirit. Whether you get a family gathering or not, very Merry and Happy, Happy. or whatever you can cobble together out of this year.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I guess it's kinda sad (or not) that on both sides of my family our name stops with us. My mother's only brother was married but technically gay and never had any kids. Out of 4 boys on my dads side there were only 2 boys and one died at 23-24 with no kids and the other only had a girl. and based upon most family members I've met on my dad's side this is not a tragedy.

It's up to my youngest son to carry on my husband's name.  My oldest son is gay and not fond of children.  My BIL never had any children.

21 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I don't think this year is any different for me but I'm not feeling the spirit. Whether you get a family gathering or not, very Merry and Happy, Happy. or whatever you can cobble together out of this year.

Yeah, the Christmas spirit has been lacking for years, ever since my brother died on Christmas Eve.  But I put on my happy face and just be grateful that I have my son with me for the first time in a year.

Happy Holidays to all!

• Love 4
On 12/21/2020 at 6:49 PM, icemiser69 said:

Maggie's main squeeze is missing again.  We can't possibly be that boring.  I hope he comes back and posts soon.

No not boring, it’s just a combination of my first Christmas in 54 years without my Mother being there, coupled with my hatred of what Christmas has become for so many, just a spend / greed fest, and no I’m not religious so yes I do feel a little hypocritical. I think there is a middle ground that the religious / non religious can enjoy together. This virus is without doubt testing everybody.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

MeTV seems to be airing them in sequence, but the local commercials that overlay some of the commercials that air on MeTV are so obnoxious, and repetitive that it really is a chore. 

Isn't it awful? Lines of dialogue and scenes are cut off so we can listen to the endless (mostly drug pushing) blaring ads, in which listing the possible side effects takes longer than extolling the virtues. I found and downloaded most of the Alfred Hitchcock eps on YT and watch them commercial-free.

As for Christmas: I remember my own mother, some 20 years ago before she died, saying that it's become so "sleazy" and she was right. It has not improved.

santa_i_want_you_to_spend_a_lot1.jpg

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have been trying to find one of those no touch thermometers.  You know the ones that when you go to a medical appointment they zap you in the head from a distance to get your temperature? 

Yes, they did that to me when I went into the hospital recently. I had never seen or heard of this and when they said they had to take my temp I was expecting the usual thermometer in the mouth. Colour me surprised at this new-fangled invention. I have no idea if it's available to the public.

20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Christmas has always been built up to such a high degree, but for many it is a huge let down,

Definitely. We feel ripped off if we don't have a Norman Rockwell Christmas, even though I doubt anyone does. The commercialization of every holiday - the only one that is not a big BUY BUY BUY holiday here in Canada is Thanksgiving - is nothing but pressure to spend money on stuff no one wants or needs and it makes me very resentful.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have been trying to find one of those no touch thermometers.  You know the ones that when you go to a medical appointment they zap you in the head from a distance to get your temperature?   Everyone I have looked at has poor reviews.

I don't buy anything online, I only buy local.  I do look online at reviews and then find the item locally.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they sell them.  They say they're not for humans, but I used mine all the time to check my sons' temperatures.  Now I use it to test the oil for frying.

Edited by madmax
spelling
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, they did that to me when I went into the hospital recently. I had never seen or heard of this and when they said they had to take my temp I was expecting the usual thermometer in the mouth. Colour me surprised at this new-fangled invention. I have no idea if it's available to the public.

Well... I have one, so I expect so. 😉 

https://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=Forehead Thermometers

• Love 1

I'm printing calendars at work today. We do them to give away to our customers every year. I had a format created eons ago by a former employee. Every year I literally pecked out each day moving over 1 and it's created some silly mistakes, last  year had 2 November 28's. We do them digitally now, I push 1 button and it comes out folded stapled and completely done. So this year I broke it down so that our template is in the back and just download months from the interweb. My  boss' mother didn't like it. The numbers weren't big enough. They seem to feel we fit a niche where we have a big square you can write appointments in but also big numbers so you can see them from across the room. So i still found myself pecking out big frikkin huge numbers. Sometimes this little old lady truly works my nerves. Tomorrow I'm breaking her kneecaps. (She's going in for knee replacement surgery)

I'm the master of the no family christmas, 30 years I haven't had a family. Pandemic Schmandemic. I've had very nice people along the way who try to be inclusive but honestly my own bed and boredom are the best. Watching other people do xmas isnt fun. I don't care for your food, I don't care about Sally's toys. I'm just hearing a clock tick till I can leave. I don't get sad, I'd jut rather be in my pjs at home, watching stupid shit on my tv. I don't think I'm a bah-humbugger, just as the ultimate insider, I'm truly quite detached. Whatever makes you happy yall.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it accurate?   I suppose you could take your temperature the other three ways and let us all know.  Before anyone asks, I think there used to be a contraption that allowed taking a temperature through the ear.   The other two ways are through the rear, and the mouth.

I look at reviews everywhere and I just haven't found enough good reviews that would give me any confidence in forehead thermometers.  And if they have good reviews, there are too few of them to give a large enough sample size.

Which one did you buy?

Is it accurate?  Which one do you own?  Model#?

I've had mine so long that the model number is long gone.  😄 Seems to be accurate.  When I first got it, I was using the ear one, which they complained about when they had earaches, until my husband gave me this one.  If I recall correctly, they were synced, other than a tenth of a degree or so.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it accurate?   I suppose you could take your temperature the other three ways and let us all know.  Before anyone asks, I think there used to be a contraption that allowed taking a temperature through the ear.   The other two ways are through the rear, and the mouth.

I look at reviews everywhere and I just haven't found enough good reviews that would give me any confidence in forehead thermometers.  And if they have good reviews, there are too few of them to give a large enough sample size.

Which one did you buy?

Is it accurate?  Which one do you own?  Model#?

Here’s mine:  https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/giinii-contact-free-infrared-forehead-thermometer/ID=300401530-product

And to the best of my knowledge they’re all pretty accurate, as long as you follow the directions for their proper use; different models have different ranges of sensitivity, though.

• Useful 1

What's really funny is that the no touch ones do not work on my husband.  His boss tries to take his temperature every day and it never registers.  He's used multiple models, too.  My husband tells him it's because his job makes him dead inside.  Yes, they joke A LOT at his work.

• LOL 4
On 12/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, icemiser69 said:

I am just glad that your are around.  During happier times you could be incredibly funny.   I understand that it can be tough with all that is going on.

Thanks.....I think 😋, to you and everyone wishing you all a very

CAAECF61-489E-4D3B-B28E-1C35C1EF7E26.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 4