Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

If my Mother had been taken into hospital she would have died on her own as I would not have been allowed into the hospital to stay with her, the whole thing is just a complete shit show.

Quite true.😢

• Love 1
3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Thanks and Yes I did, it was just I read that it’s not classed as a state so I thought it may have different rules. 🤗

It kinda does. DC residents didn’t have any Electoral College representation for the presidential vote until 1961, when the 23rd Amendment to the U. S. Constitution accorded DC the same number of electors as the least populous state (which btw is Wyoming - 3 electoral votes).  Territories such as Puerto Rico, American Samoa, etc. don’t have any electoral college representation, though.

• Useful 1
On 11/6/2020 at 6:29 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Sorry I was rather vague, I meant all those who aren’t getting diagnosed or treated for cancer, heart disease, depression etc. You can’t go and see a GP, they won’t come out to you, they are relying upon video conferencing. Routine operations are just cancelled, people are living with pain and debilitating illnesses and conditions. They don’t want the hospital beds taken up in case we have another major outbreak. If my Mother had been taken into hospital she would have died on her own as I would not have been allowed into the hospital to stay with her, the whole thing is just a complete shit show.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My mother has been in the hospital/rehab since September 4.  Because I was out of town when she went in, my nephew was made her "personal contact," meaning he was the only one allowed to visit her.  I was allowed to see her twice while she was in the hospital, because I told her care manager that I had no idea what her last wishes were in case something happened and that's not a conversation for the phone, especially with an 83-year old woman with severe hearing loss.  The other time was to meet with palliative care.  I wasn't even allowed to be there for her surgery and my nephew had to work, so no one was there.  I feared something would happen; thankfully, she came through OK.

She's in rehab now and was isolated for 14 days.  Today is the first day she's allowed visitors, by appointment only, just 20 minutes, and I had to have a negative COVID test before I could go.  

I did see that recently some hospitals in my area are letting next of kin stay with the patient during end of life. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, madmax said:

thankfully, she came through OK

Thanks and that’s good to hear, my Ma was 82 so I know how worried the operation must have made you feel. I think those in charge are still making things up as they go along.

Edited by OoohMaggie

I live about 9 miles outside the city of Liverpool, which has been chosen to be the centre of a mass Covid testing pilot scheme. We now have military personnel manning some testing centres. I feel so fortunate that I trust those in power implicitly. The nonsense ramblings of George Orwell couldn’t be further from my mind, what a fool he was, Ha, Ha 😱

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

I live about 9 miles outside the city of Liverpool

OooOooOo, does that mean you're a super funny talker? She says, not at all like like a dopey american. Meaning do you talk like John Lennon? Not like Ozzy Osbourne which is Birmingham which is a whole different weird talky experience. I like my accents, * waggles eyebrows*

Our dude who does trivia, do not know where he's from, has an accent and loves to throw British facts at us and we want to print signs or tshirts that say "we don't care how Britain does it, this is Murica" or something equally loving and kind. He pronounces Buckingham, as in the palace, as "Buck-num" like the whole middle part is missing. He says things like "my friends call me Baggers" and we're all "are you sure they're your friends?" I know banger is sausage, what is bagger? We just shout "speak english" at him when we can't understand him. He proceeds to lecture us on how we are the bastards.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Meaning do you talk like John Lennon?

No I do not, more like Ray Winstone than Lennon, considering I spent the first 39 years of my life living in south east London, that’s probably a good thing. 
As for Mr Buck-num, sounds like a bit of a Hooray-Henry, the real posh people would pronounce every letter of Buckingham.

I think Ozzy’s accent is more chemically induced than anything else, see kids, just say No!

No idea what Baggers means, Bags can refer to trousers, it sounds like he went to a private school which would explain a lot.

Does he sound anything like Tim, nice but dim? 😁

12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It is probably his pronunciation of "potato" as "pudado".

OMG! Pudado. My senior english teacher made us read "Grapes of Wrath" and during class he would read aloud to us and we always made fun of his pronumciation of "Budada" He was originally from Cape Cod so could very well have been an Irish thing but apparently when he and his wife arrived in New Mexico nobody could understand their Boston/Massachusetts accents. His mostly melted away ( except for the rogue "Bodada" it wasn't even a P!) but his wife held onto that accent forever! There are New Mexican pronunciations for things such as "puppy" is Pubby and library is liberry. (not uncommon I think) And instead of pointing with our fingers, we point with our lips. If you said "where is the newspaper" we don't gesture with our hands over to the couch, we point with our lips and say "Ober der" (over there)

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It is probably his pronunciation of "potato" as "pudado".

No stereotypes in that commercial then, at least he’s slightly less annoying than the Cillit Bang guy. Hi I’m Barry Scott........................fuck off 🖕

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, nachomama said:

. My senior english teacher made us read "Grapes of Wrath"

How I loved that book and the movie too, (although true to Hollywood tradition it needed to have a "happily ever after" ending rudely inserted) and no one even made me read it.

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

No stereotypes in that commercial then, at least he’s slightly less annoying than the Cillit Bang guy. Hi I’m Barry Scott........................fuck off 🖕

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm laughing like a fool anyway.

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Can you translate that into American, please? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I thought someone so annoying just had to be big across the water, how lucky you all are 😱

It doesn't matter which side of the pond. These guys all sound the same. Only the product and the accent differs.

I believe the forefather of all these screaming shysters was the late, great Billy "Kaboom!" Mays, who is now in heaven, "partying like it's $19.99".

• LOL 3

Ladies and Gentlemen, why pay very few dollars for a perfectly adequate kitchen knife? When you can spend hundreds on useless plastic kitchen equipment, our useless plastic kitchen equipment is guaranteed to completely fill your kitchen drawer so it never has to be opened again, just think how much time and effort that will save you!

But wait, if you respond quickly to our once only offer, we will give you, at no extra charge, twice the amount of useless plastic kitchen equipment, you can now fill two kitchen drawers for the price of one, saving yourself twice the effort and inconvenience of having to open them! 
You must hurry though, you only have three and a half years left to take advantage of our amazing offer.

Our operators are standing by, Please call right now 1-800-I-am-an-asshole to claim this unbelievable offer 🙄

• LOL 2

The thing that always got me about those incredible offers is yes, it's a complete piece of crap utensil, and they're giving it away for the incredibly low, low price of eleventy cents but you pay for $20 SHIPPING AND HANDLING so when you pop the free one on there YOU ALSO PAY THE SAME $20 SHIPPING AND HANDLING.  I was a child and could do the math on that. I wanted to buy sea monkeys  but the shipping and handling put it over the top for me. I was like how much "handling" is there?

• LOL 2

(YELLING)"Are you so incredibly clumsy and stupid you can't mow your lawn without slicing your garden hose up and can't eat a snack without spilling it all over yourself? you can't boil an egg, turn a hamburger or fill an ice cube tray without destroying your kitchen? Then you need our state-of-the-art Thingamabob, constructed of solid cheap plastic! Order within in the next ten minutes and get a second Useless Thingamabob FREE!" (just pay a "separate fee" which coincidentally is the same price as the first Thingamabob.)

Help is on the way for all you klutzses(is that even a word?)

• LOL 2

"Are you so incredibly clumsy and stupid you can't mow your lawn without slicing your garden hose up and can't eat a snack without spilling it all over yourself?"

I thought you were actually mocking me. I did indeed slice my extension cord in 2 TWICE!! It was with a trimmer not a mower but still I'm an idiot and my breasteses were basically just installed as a food catching device.

We always had "Ronco" which was Ron Popeil who invented the "pocket fisherman" and the veg-o-matic, showtime rotisserie and bbq. Who is still alive by-the-way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, nachomama said:

We always had "Ronco" which was Ron Popeil who invented the "pocket fisherman" and the veg-o-matic, showtime rotisserie and bbq. Who is still alive by-the-way.

That's who I was trying to think of! Good ol' Ron and his brilliant inventions, one of the best being his spray-on hair in a can. Can't rag on him too much. He made a fortune.

• Love 2

There were things I might have bought if there weren't the fees. I only order crap from amazon if there's free shipping. This years gift is advent calendars. There's like beer and wine advent calendars and quite frankly I know a lot of alcoholics. There's a beauty one so every day there's some product or another. chocolate...there's pretty much a thing for everybody's "thing" so they get like 12 gifts and I don't actually have to shop. :D

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, why pay very few dollars for a perfectly adequate kitchen knife? When you can spend hundreds on useless plastic kitchen equipment, our useless plastic kitchen equipment is guaranteed to completely fill your kitchen drawer so it never has to be opened again, just think how much time and effort that will save you!

But wait, if you respond quickly to our once only offer, we will give you, at no extra charge, twice the amount of useless plastic kitchen equipment, you can now fill two kitchen drawers for the price of one, saving yourself twice the effort and inconvenience of having to open them! 
You must hurry though, you only have three and a half years left to take advantage of our amazing offer.

Our operators are standing by, Please call right now 1-800-I-am-an-asshole to claim this unbelievable offer 🙄

Oh, so you’re wanting something useful!

Well then - you’re in luck, because boy howdy do I have a product for YOU!!!

https://youtu.be/FjZRWNg8k_M

• LOL 3
54 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

@Superclam.

You do know I wasn't being serious, I hope.

Lol, of course. I just enjoy the "surprised" emoji and feel it should be used more frequently. 

I'm at the office today for the first time since July or August. I miss these giant-ass monitors. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Someone told me that since I am taking antibiotics, that I ought to also be taking a probiotic.  Is that really true?  Should I be taking a probiotic?

Only if your goal is to be middleoftheroadbiotic.  😉

In truth - if the antibiotics you’re talking about are prescription pills/capsules you’re self-administering at home, I doubt it makes much difference.  Antibiotics kill foreign bacteria in your circulatory system, while probiotics promote beneficial bacterial growth in your gut.  Not much crossover between the two unless you’re talking the super-high-powered antibiotics, and the antibiotics powerful enough to be an issue for your gut flora would be something more likely administered via IV in a hospital setting.  
Individual results/reactions may vary, of course....

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It is the medication I have been put on before I have my root canal.  There is a concern that there might be a problem in that area.

It’s all more individual susceptibility than anything else, I suspect - but I’ve been on oral antibiotics multiple times over the years with no impact on my gut.  And I‘d guess that’s something I would probably notice.  😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Oh, so you’re wanting something useful!

Well then - you’re in luck, because boy howdy do I have a product for YOU!!!

JFC. 😆

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It is the medication I have been put on before I have my root canal.  There is a concern that there might be a problem in that area.

I was given the same antibiotics a couple of times that had an unwanted side effect. The next time I needed it, I thought, "Tell your doctor". I did and he gave me different ones that worked well.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Are you so incredibly clumsy and stupid you can't mow your lawn without slicing your garden hose up and can't eat a snack without spilling it all over yourself? you can't boil an egg, turn a hamburger or fill an ice cube tray without destroying your kitchen?

Shit!  I’ve just had to check my house for hidden cameras, surely someone has been spying on me 😱

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Someone told me that since I am taking antibiotics, that I ought to also be taking a probiotic.  Is that really true?  Should I be taking a probiotic?

My mother took long term antibios for a lung condition, they weren’t particularly strong but her appetite declined over a couple of weeks after she started taking them,she started to lose weight but the GP didn’t think there was a connection between the two. As we all do now I looked online and I read some comments about taking pro-bios. It couldn’t do any harm so I tried giving them to her for a few days, sure enough her appetite improved and her weight stabilised. Now, i can’t say whether that outcome was anything more than a coincidence, but IF you are experiencing any tummy troubles, apart from costing you a few $ it can’t do any harm to try them for a few days.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Speaking of something useful - if you want to stay in shape this coming lock-down winter but can't go to the gym, try this versatile and portable exercise tool. You can use it anywhere!

So, since reaching ‘that certain age’ as every boy does, why am I not looking like this dude by now 🤔

94F57674-968D-46A5-8E1C-2817427F5732.jpeg

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

So, since reaching ‘that certain age’ as every boy does, why am I not looking like this dude by now 

😄😆🤣 At the very least you'd think you'd have a right arm like Hellboy's.

RE: Health stuff. I hate taking any drugs of any kind. I'm always afraid they might interfere with my wine drinking. Anyway, it was just confirmed I have Meniere's disease. The doctor gave me meds to take when I next have a vertigo attack. I'll take them, because the vertigo and accompanying nausea are kind of unbearable, but will take only when absolutely necessary.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is pink the only color you can get it in?  Asking for a friend.

You Your friend doesn't like pink? Maybe direct him to the Shake Weight. It comes(literally) in a more manly black and silver:

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Speaking of something useful - if you want to stay in shape this coming lock-down winter but can't go to the gym, try this versatile and portable exercise tool. You can use it anywhere!

Well... maybe not anywhere....

• LOL 1
On 11/11/2020 at 3:28 PM, icemiser69 said:

When I was a kid, my dad was none too pleased when I would use the riding mower in the highest gear.  I  had to just so I could get the lawn done.  Their yard was huge.

My husband won't let me use the riding mower because I mow in figure eights, not the perfect oval he wants me to do.  My plan worked.  😁

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Ever since I got a horrific yeast infection after taking antibiotics, I always take a probiotic.  Seems counter intuitive, but I don't want that ever, ever again.

Spent almost all of today trying to find a place for my mother that can handle her JP drain (for the infection in her abdomen) that didn't cost double digits.  Almost $200 per day was the best I could do.  Hopefully, she'll only be in there until her drain is out.

As with most Tv shows I’m probably years behind, having just finished Breaking Bad, but what the hell is this show? I thought it was a comedy sketch at first, Is it popular? FFS is there anything people won’t watch, even though feeling quite 🤢 and squinting through closed fingers I had to see it through, for educational purposes obviously. I did regret following some of the links though.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:39 AM, madmax said:

Almost $200 per day was the best I could do.  Hopefully, she'll only be in there until her drain is out.

That’s about the same in the UK even if they don’t need medical treatment, people have to sell their homes if they have to stay in for a long time. Once you’ve spent everything apart from your last £23,000 the government then pays it.

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

That’s about the same in the UK even if they don’t need medical treatment, people have to sell their homes if they have to stay in for a long time. Once you’ve spent everything apart from your last £23,000 the government then pays it.

Here, you can't have anything but an insurance policy that will presumably be for your final arrangements.  If she has to be in much longer, I will have to sell her house, her car, her furnishings and her house is not located in a great neighborhood, nobody's buying because of COVID, but they want you to sell it within 6 months.  And someone hit her car while she was in the hospital.

The first place I contacted wanted $11K per month.  

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am so sorry you are going through that.

When I was a kid a neighbor had an inner ear disturbance that through everything off (equilibrium).  He was having all sorts of issues, balance, nauseousness.

Thank you. Yes, when having an episode I do stagger around like a drunk. Mostly we go through our lives never giving a thought to our ears. It's only when something goes out of whack that we(or me, anyway) realize what amazing, wondrous, complex, delicate organs they are, that not even the state-of-the-art hearing aids can come anywhere near replacing. I had to get hearing aids as well, due to what seems to be early hereditary hearing loss (my brother and mother both affected, although my mother would never admit it 😄) and have tinniutus as well. The constant buzzing, humming and whining in one ear is rather annoying.  But oh, well. As I always say - it could be a LOT worse.

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

but what the hell is this show?

Eek! It's Dr. Pimple Popper.🤢 I cannot believe anyone watches this, but watch it they do. Seems there is an audience for anything, including removal of all manner of revolting skin eruptions and nasty conditions. I would never, ever watch one second of that. Just the thought of it makes me queasy. I swear I'd rather watch Negan having full-blown, kinky sex with Alpha.

2 hours ago, madmax said:

If she has to be in much longer, I will have to sell her house, her car, her furnishings

This is absolutely terrible and outrageous. So sorry to hear this. 😢 My mother was in the hospital for nearly 4 weeks, and I have no idea what that cost since we don't pay for any health care. We just had to worry about her health and not about going bankrupt too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know what is going on with my tooth the pain is getting unbearable.  My root canal isn't scheduled until the middle of next week and the pain pills aren't working, and the antibiotics are reeking havoc with my body, and fighting it out with the probiotic I am taking.  Is there a truce pill I can take?  This is almost as bad as back when I had Salmonella poisoning when I was a senior in high school.  Replace toothache with sever nonstop stomach and intestinal gut wrenching cramping.  That is pretty much the only difference.

I'm sorry you're going through this, @icemiser69. Have you tried alternating Advil and Tylenol? That worked for me when I had tooth pain. Best wishes. 

• Love 2

As for the whining part.  I know you didn't mean it in the context of me using it and I am not making light of it in your situation, but as hard as it may seem to believe (not) I have been known on occasion to whine a lot.

No, no! I mean the actual high-pitched whining noise I hear that sounds like a swarm of mosquitos and alternates with the buzzing, etc.

I don't know what is going on with my tooth the pain is getting unbearable. 

Is there an abcess? A dry socket? I'm no dentist, but experienced both many years ago and the later certainly causes unbearable pain. If your dentist has an emergency number as mine does, I suggest you call immediately.

• Love 1

We did something traumatizing this weekend. I was explaining to my friend just how nuts my dad was...When we rented "breakfast club" I was maybe 15 and my dad made us turn it off about the time "the fucking lamp didn't go on" because it had too many swear words. My father declared it was garbage. But! Once upon a time when I was 8 ish my father let us sit around AS A FAMILY we watched "Mandingo" she had never seen it so we watched "highlights" of Mandingo. Lord help me, the things I didn't remember. I got the gist of it even at 8. As many N words as were flying it was like taking a bullet each time. The thing I remembered was how he died, that was what scarred me. I completely didn't remember that pretty much everybody died. I didn't realize Dino De Laurentis directed that damn thing. It's bad on so many levels even if you think from 1975 to now. Holy crap you shouldn't have been able to get away with that then much less watching it with 2019 eyeballs. But yeah, my dad thought the Breakfast Club was gonna make me a bad kid...

Showing Mandingo to 8-year-olds?
Uh... yes dear, your dad was one fucked-up monkey.

(For those unfamiliar with the film, it’s a mid-‘70s example of a genre best described as “Blaxploitation antebellum slave porn”....)

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Showing Mandingo to 8-year-olds?

I remember being very young when I begged and cried and pleaded with my father to be allowed to watch an old movie shown late at night. He gave in, after informing me I wouldn't like it. It was "The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney.

I never got over my fear of dark woods and werewolves, to this very day. 😆