Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
radishcake

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

Perhaps the party goer who said "every seemed to have a good time" didn't themselves have such a great time but everyone else thought it was a hoot? I don't have good times at parties but that's just me cuz I hate people you know.

I did very well on my drive, solid 24 hours driving and only had trouble from Birmingham to atlanta to Macon. Atlanta was an absolute mess, no direction was moving. Should have been home by 5 ish and got home at 10. And I drove in the snow and ice in albuquerque! I kept telling my friend "I don't have mud at home" I know why people out there have big trucks and SUV's they really need them. Oh dear lord did I return a dirty rental car! Mud all over the outside and tried not to track too much inside. I wore sandals hahhahah had to buy socks to keep my feet warm.

Is it odd to say I had a nice thanksgiving visit to prison? Haven't seen my niece in the flesh in about 20 years. You have to sit on opposite sides and you get 1 hug. No touching and I could buy her food but couldn't hand it to her, had to give to bailiff to then inspect and give to her. She really does wear an orange jumpsuit. She seems very peppy for prison. I was taking my sister's ashes back home and obviously couldn't have them with me, they go through the car. so my niece asks "where's my mom?" and I'm all "not with me" and of course we're idiots and think that's so hilarious. She warned me before "take my mom out of the trunk before you come". We are some dark, twisted individuals.

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Yes, my typing box looked as Superclam said - like a greeting card message, with the first 3 or words centered by themselves. Fine now.

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Here in the U.S. of A. we say "knock wood" for whatever reason, and you have to knock on the table or your head. No idea why. 

Well, I just had to look that up. I love finding out the origins of expressions we use when we mostly have no idea where they came from. I just found out where "freelance" originated. This one seems to be much more recent than most but is a little uncertain:

In his book “The Lore of the Playground,” British folklorist Steve Roud traces the practice to a 19th century children’s game called “Tiggy Touchwood,” a type of tag in which players were immune from being caught whenever they touched a piece of wood such as a door or a tree. “Given that the game was concerned with ‘protection,’ and was well known to adults as well as children, it is almost certainly the origin of our modern superstitious practice of saying, ‘Touch wood,’ he argues.

• Like 3

I read somewhere that “ring around the Rosie” was about scarlet fever or some disease that killed thousands and we made a children’s game out of it. 

I feel like college was worth it now I’m watching the very first episode of Monty python and there’s a sketch where he’s a reporter and all the “racers” are painters/artists and I knew all the names! I’ve literally never used my art history degree for anything besides jeopardy questions and now Monty python. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

I read somewhere that “ring around the Rosie” was about scarlet fever or some disease that killed thousands and we made a children’s game out of it. 

Some say, others disagree that It’s associated with Bubonic Plague (The Black Death), which decimated the UK and Europe in the 14th Century, and again in the 17th, it supposedly originally crossed over from Asia, tens of millions of people died.

Edited by OoohMaggie

Ok somebody get the origination of “Rock a bye baby” why would someone put their kid in the treetops? You’d think once the baby fell out the one time it would no longer be a “thing” 

20 hours ago, Superclam said:

Here in the U.S. of A. we say "knock wood" for whatever reason, and you have to knock on the table or your head. No idea why. 

It’s a Celtic thing Irish immigrants brought over to the New World - an acknowledgement of the spirits which live in the wood.

• Useful 1

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I got Wilma. I expected Barney.

I was hoping for Barney.  Betty is kind of a gabby gurdy.  I am definitely not that.  Beyond that, she is pretty mellow.

Edited by icemiser69

13/13 but quite a few were just educated guesses, e.g. - "apparition" fit the time period.

Haven't been able to watch MeTV for a few weeks. The huge antenna on Mt. Mansfield caught on fire and considering the conditions up there this time of year I expected no repair until spring. But those intrepid techs set off on the mountain climbing expedition and got it done PDQ.

I got it back just in time to catch 24-year-old Robert Redford on Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

• Like 2

13/13 although the ‘gravy’ comment I didn’t remember at all,  Blackadder’s Christmas Carol obviously being the best rendition 😆

Apparently i’m Barney, not my first choice, but if it comes with Barney’s benefits.........

9CE6512E-4E85-42E4-86F2-A4EF34B4635A.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Apparently i’m Barney, not my first choice, but if it comes with Barney’s benefits.........

9CE6512E-4E85-42E4-86F2-A4EF34B4635A.jpeg

I’ll say - she could reduce me to Rubble any time she wants.  😉

Edited by Nashville · Reason: Reduction edit
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

I woman I worked with told me how she met her husband. They were at some party and later he told her, "I knew as soon as I saw you I would marry you because you looked just like Betty Rubble."

I went to their wedding and they've been happily married ever since. One of the best "How we met" stories I ever heard. 😂

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

So is it being rather too honest to admit, that I wouldn’t mind whether left or right hand Betty showed up? After coming clean about the attraction of Family Guy’s Lois, I wonder if I should be seeking counselling, and whatever you do, don’t mention Jessica Rabbit 🐰

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

19 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

13/13 although the ‘gravy’ comment I didn’t remember at all,  Blackadder’s Christmas Carol obviously being the best rendition 😆

I am surprised that you didn't post the Rosie O'Donnell/Betty Rubble picture or the Jane Krakowski/Betty Rubble picture.

They both played Betty in a couple of the movies.

@Nashville

Your Titans look pretty good.  Hope they sweep both Houston games.  New Orleans will be much more difficult, but at least it is a home game. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

14 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

So is it being rather too honest to admit, that I wouldn’t mind whether left or right hand Betty showed up? After coming clean about the attraction of Family Guy’s Lois, I wonder if I should be seeking counselling, and whatever you do, don’t mention Jessica Rabbit 🐰

Bugs Bunny looks pretty hot in a yellow wig, pink dress, and a blue hat.   As you know, bunny rabbits are a horny bunch.  You do have options.

• Laugh 2

16 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

and whatever you do, don’t mention Jessica Rabbit 🐰

Bob Hoskins made that movie, just by playing it so straight. Your mention of Jessica made me think of this scene I found hilarious. Bonus Betty Boop:

"He's got a "thing" for rabbits, eh?"

• Laugh 2

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

@Nashville

Your Titans look pretty good. 

Oh hell YEAH they do.  😁

Hope they sweep both Houston games. 

You and me both.

New Orleans will be much more difficult, but at least it is a home game. 

Yup!  Good time to be a season ticket holder.  😉

Been listening to some sports talk radio this morning - do you agree with the notion the Patriots dynasty is finally dead?  Me, I’m almost afraid to hope.  😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Been listening to some sports talk radio this morning - do you agree with the notion the Patriots dynasty is finally dead?  Me, I’m almost afraid to hope.  😄

It's not dead until they drop a house on it, see the witch's legs shrivel up and get a coroner's report afterwards.
Personally, I don't dare to hope until they lose a first round playoff game and miss the playoffs the next season (and even then I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Bellicheck retires.)

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised that you didn't post the Rosie O'Donnell/Betty Rubble picture or the Jane Krakowski/Betty Rubble picture.

Surprised in what way?

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Bob Hoskins made that movie, just by playing it so straight. Your mention of Jessica made me think of this scene I found hilarious. Bonus Betty Boop:

Bob, one of our best and most missed, the fact that there was never a sequel to The Long Good Friday, is surely one of the biggest cinematic crimes of all time, unforgivable 🔫

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, rab01 said:

It's not dead until they drop a house on it, see the witch's legs shrivel up and get a coroner's report afterwards.
Personally, I don't dare to hope until they lose a first round playoff game and miss the playoffs the next season (and even then I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Bellicheck retires.)

Is it just me, or is Belichick developing an increasing resemblance to actress Anne Ramsay (of “The Goonies” and “Throw Momma From the Train” fame)?

IMG_0765.jpg.37f140b5d668ff0c0ce9a0220916c217.jpgIMG_0767.jpg.43d02d0611c10a66b0af86118c6446bd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

The Patriots seem to benefit from ref calls in home games.  I am nervous that when the playoffs start, that they will benefit from them again, given that yesterday's game was plagued with horrible refereeing that actually hurt them for a change.

I am surprised that they haven't tried to re-sign Antonio Brown again.  I think he has apologized twice already.  Even if he faces a suspension, he probably would still be able to play in the playoffs.  I think Brown and Brady have the same agent.

I hope that the Bills win out and force the Patriots to be a wildcard team or miss the playoffs entirely.  I think in theory that is still doable even though it is a very long shot.  It would have been much easier if the Bills had beaten the Ravens yesterday.

The Patriots play at Cincinnati, then they have two home games, Buffalo, and Miami.

Buffalo is at Pittsburgh, at New England, and then home against the Jets.

Radio and television sports talk shows have been talking about the Patriots circling the drain for years.  I hope it happens, it would be nice to have some new teams in the playoffs for a change.

There are all sorts of rumors that OBJ wants out of Cleveland.  I hope he doesn't end up in New England.  I hope Cleveland isn't that stupid.

39 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Surprised in what way?

Those two actresses were actually from two of the movies.  i just thought you would have posted their pictures for that reason alone.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Those two actresses were actually from two of the movies.  i just thought you would have posted their pictures for that reason alone.

Janie K would be pretty high up on my list as well....

31F085F8-FBD3-4C40-AB7D-ADB942B540FF.jpeg.fc6491ab13950fa9c65cdfab4f0404d0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Bob, one of our best and most missed, the fact that there was never a sequel to The Long Good Friday, is surely one of the biggest cinematic crimes of all time, unforgivable 🔫

In comedies or dramas he was never less than great. I caught a movie some time ago while flipping channels. I'd never heard of it, but it's called "Felicia's Journey." I won't say more in case anyone wishes to see it, but Bob Hoskins made it absolutely riveting. HIghly recommend.

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Surprised in what way?

I have a feeling that Rosie is not exactly your cuppa! 😄

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

have a feeling that Rosie is not exactly your cuppa! 😄

Hey, I’ve just admitted to being attracted to a cartoon 😊 you’d be surprised!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 2

18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I have a feeling that Rosie is not exactly your cuppa! 😄

Are you kidding?  Did you see Rosie in Exit to Eden?  😆

IMG_0769.JPG.1dc9ed235c9f0dcc7e294ef103f743a9.JPG

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

On 12/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, Nashville said:

Oh! Shit, I thought someone had hacked  my photo album..........don’t do that to me 😱

Edited by OoohMaggie · Reason: “Gained access to”is so English, hacked is so much better
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

3 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Hey, now; believe it or not, Rosie wore it well - VERY well.

Well, I must concede she'd make a great dominatrix if you're looking for real punishment.

• Laugh 2

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Dana Delany was awesome in that movie.

32 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, I must concede she'd make a great dominatrix if you're looking for real punishment.

Her old talk show was punishment all on its own.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Dana Delany was awesome in that movie.

They all were.  One of my favorite quotes in the movie was a Rico Suavé type trying to romance Rosie, who was having none of it:

Rico Suavé: How can I fulfill your fantasy? 

Rosie: Go paint my house!

😂

• Laugh 3

I always liked Dana Delaney. You know who I like now? Awkwafina, she makes me happy. I really want to watch her show "Nora from Queens", it'll be on Comedy Central.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I'd never heard of it, but it's called "Felicia's Journey." I won't say more in case anyone wishes to see it, but Bob Hoskins made it absolutely riveting. HIghly recommend.

It passed me by as well, was it a straight to DVD? It looks good and I’ll be watching as soon as I can find a source.

22 hours ago, Nashville said:

Hey, now; believe it or not, Rosie wore it well - VERY well.

What is that ‘police badge’ looking thing strategically placed?

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

It passed me by as well, was it a straight to DVD? It looks good and I’ll be watching as soon as I can find a source.

I think it was in theaters but don't really know. It's  a British film that came in 1999, had no explosions, CGI or comic book heros, so didn't have a huge audience I assume.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

What is that ‘police badge’ looking thing strategically placed?

A police badge  😂.   In the story line context, Rosie’s character was a cop going undercover* in a rated-X (well, heavy R at least) version of Fantasy Island.

* Take that as you will.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

On 12/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, Nashville said:

A police badge  😂.   In the story line context, Rosie’s character was a cop going undercover* in a rated-X (well, heavy R at least) version of Fantasy Island.

* Take that as you will.

Interesting.  I don't recall Tattoo walking up to Lisa and telling her, "Gee your hair smells terrific."

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

"Gee your hair smells terrific."

there was a shampoo called "gee your hair smells terrific" and I got it once, and you know what? It did NOT make my hair smell terrific. it was rather bland. Also they're making a horror movie version of Fantasy Island. I don't know how much I like that. they showed Mr. Rourke but not Tattoo.

• Surprise 1

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Also they're making a horror movie version of Fantasy Island. I don't know how much I like that.

😮Desperation makes you do weird things. Have they run out of comic books? How far back can they dig and does no one have an original thought? What's next  - "My Mother, the Car: The Motion Picture"?

"Fantasy Island" packed with skimpily dressed millennial babes and waxed, interchangeable guys with abs. 😴 BUT - Michael Rooker is in it! 

Not feeling the new Mr. Roarke:

fantasy-island-michael---richardo.jpg

• Like 1

Obviously the whole Fantasy Island thing passed me by, I do have a vague recollection of ‘Nick Nack’ from Golden Gun, but I thought he was off The Love Boat 🙄

• Laugh 1

I like Michael Pena in general just not so sure about Mr. Roarke. and there is no mention of Tattoo at all. it doesn't say what Michael Rooker is playing. It has several people I like, Ryan Hansen and JImmy O Yang. But it has Kim Coates. Lord he works my nerves. (Tig from SoA) I hated every little bit of him in that show. And the show lost me when they killed Opie (aka Beta from TWD)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nachomama said:

there was a shampoo called "gee your hair smells terrific" and I got it once, and you know what? It did NOT make my hair smell terrific. it was rather bland. Also they're making a horror movie version of Fantasy Island. I don't know how much I like that. they showed Mr. Rourke but not Tattoo.

Yes, there was that shampoo back in the day.  I remember it well.

52 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Obviously the whole Fantasy Island thing passed me by, I do have a vague recollection of ‘Nick Nack’ from Golden Gun, but I thought he was off The Love Boat 🙄

I found Fantasy Island incredibly boring.  I couldn't watch that crap.

The Love Boat seemed like a series where actors and actresses went there to just get paid.  The writing was awful and the acting was even worse.

Charlie's Angels had pretty women, but I don't think any of them could fight their way out of a paper bag.

I consider the vast majority of Aaron Spelling's series unwatchable dreck.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

The most frustrating thing is when the doctor's office calls the day before the appointment and tells me they have to cancel.  And then they have the balls to do all they can to get me in to see him before the year ends eight days until the new appointment.    He is the one that cancelled it, why do I have to all of a sudden do things on his terms? He isn't going to do anything anyways, other than talk.  He can do that over the phone, but apparently that is unacceptable.

And then a day later, I get another call.  They want me to go in and have my iron checked within the next four days.  i am not happy about that at all.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Sad 2