Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In this current era, I can't imagine going to any concert today with so many people bringing their smartphones to record the concert, instead of just enjoying the experience of being at a concert.

As a birthday treat I took my mother to see Il Divo at the Liverpool arena, I paid silly money to be in the second row from the stage, and yet sure as damn it some asshole in front thought they would record the whole performance on their phone, which I wouldn't have a problem with if they kept the phone in front of their own face, but no, they want to watch what's going on. So they then hold the phone above their head, giving us behind a perfect view of the back of their feckin hand and phone. In situations like this my south London accent can seem rather aggressive, and the choice of lowering the phone, or trying to find it in  row 156 Z seemed to have had the required effect, and I thought the movie munchers and slurpers were bad enough.

• Love 2

Don't they want to smack down on people recording like that? You'd think someone is watching the crowd for such blatant phone waving above heads, I know you can't stop it in short bursts but if someone stood there for a solid 30-45 minutes you'd think someone would come. I don't go to a tremendous amount of concerts but they do always have signs and on your tickets that recording devices are forbidden. And most especially if you've paid an arm and a leg you don't want someone recording it for free for their cousin.

• Love 1

There are some shows where they don't allow phones at all, I know Danzig/Misfits make you put it in a bag before entering. I've heard that at Prince concerts if you took out your phone security was right on you to put it away. 

I just saw Iron Maiden and while people had their phones out,  I didn't see anyone filming for long periods of time. I personally took a few pictures, but I have no need to tape entire songs or concerts to watch my shaky, blurry video later. Just about everything is free on youtube now anyway. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Don't they want to smack down on people recording like that?

Apart from film companies who don't want their latest release being viewed until the officially released DVD, I think the live concert crowd have realised that they've just got to let it go, it's just so widespread that trying to crack down on it would completely ruin a concert, the profit they make on tickets plus merch plus the usual tour DVD more than makes up for people getting a few minutes of usually rubbish quality phone footage. It's whether they can record things in a respectful way to those around them that matters, to me at least.

Edited by OoohMaggie
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

some of his students back in 1965 went to see the Beatles at Shea stadium.  They came home crying, because all they could hear was the crowd scream.  They couldn't hear the music at all.

This is why the Beatles gave up touring. "No one is listening to us anyway," John Lennon said.

I've seen the footage of girls at Beatles shows and I've never quite understood the banshee screaming and the fainting. I'm pretty sure I'd get tongue-tied if I spoke to an "idol" but I don't pee my pants and need medical care just going to the concert. Pretty soon I will, cuz I'm old, but it won't have anything to do with going to the concert, I'll pretty much do that anywhere.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, nachomama said:

but I don't pee my pants and need medical care just going to the concert.

That reminds me (another topic): I love how advertisers make it seem like anyone over 50 automatically starts wetting their pants. You don't need to see a doctor to find out why since you may have a fixable problem or a serious underlying condition. Never mind all that. Just start buying our adult diapers! Problem solved nd you can even order them online to save you the embarrassment of going to a store where everyone will know you have no control of your bladder.  If you want to feel ancient, just watch MeTV where you will be bombarded with ads for hearing ads, flexible canes, burial insurance, diapers, trusses, walk-in bathtubs, wrinkle creams and a plethora of drugs with horrifying side effects. 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

That reminds me (another topic): I love how advertisers make it seem like anyone over 50 automatically starts wetting their pants. You don't need to see a doctor to find out why since you may have a fixable problem or a serious underlying condition. Never mind all that. Just start buying our adult diapers! Problem solved nd you can even order them online to save you the embarrassment of going to a store where everyone will know you have no control of your bladder.  If you want to feel ancient, just watch MeTV where you will be bombarded with ads for hearing ads, flexible canes, burial insurance, diapers, trusses, walk-in bathtubs, wrinkle creams and a plethora of drugs with horrifying side effects. 

Yup!  “I’VE FALLEN AND I CAN’T GET UP!!!”  😂

I’m over 50, and let me just tell you; if I’m pissing on you, it ain’t no damn “accident”.

• LOL 4
Just now, Nashville said:

“I’VE FALLEN AND I CAN’T GET UP!!!

"This may be disturbing to some viewers":

"Helllp! Heeelllllllp!"

One of these medical alert companies has clients who call them up every day "just to chat." Of course, the employees just love this and aren't saying to each other, "Oh, shit! It's Granny again. You take it this time! I'm going on break."

I managed to whack myself in the head with a box of paper yesterday. And before you start laughing at me it's 1100 sheets of the big kind, it's maybe 50 pounds. I hoisted it up on my shoulder and then tried to re-adjust and it just sorta clocked me in the neck. On one hand it kinda gave me an adjustment because my neck had been slept on weird but now I have a headache at the base of my skull. But I woke up alive so I guess I'm not too concussed.

Adult diaper commercials make you feel like the most important thing is that they're "pretty" or no panty lines...nope it'd be the trail of pee that I'm trying to avoid. Just to be clear I have been potty trained a goodly number of years and it hasn't left me yet, in case you're sensing a pattern. I only wet my pants once in my life, 1st grade, we had a long bus ride and Mrs. McKnight wouldn't let me go in the building to go pee, you had to stay outside at recess until the bell rang. So I held it as long as I could and then had to go to the nurse and get a bath and they loaned me some cute underwear with flowers on them that I didnt want to give back.

and if you're lucky I can tell you some barfing stories from school too! :D

• LOL 1
On 8/27/2019 at 7:00 PM, Nashville said:

I’VE FALLEN AND I CAN’T GET UP!!!

I was having this problem and spent the last week in the hospital for a stroke. They gave me a super blood thinner which seems to have worked since the MRI showed no brain damage but my arm is one big bruise.

69599675_bruisedarm.thumb.jpg.b7b329c466770e0d9a5240e9421efe02.jpg

Oh, and my cat died yesterday RIP Nelson 8/17/01 - 8/28/19.

nelson2.thumb.jpg.6e1c8c0bd1b727489fe1e4957ecf9004.jpg

HOLY SHITBALLS! My heavens, are you ok? So sorry to hear about your cat but I hope you're taking good care of yourself. Be very careful not only because I don't want you to fall again but also on the super blood thinners you can bleed lots if you cut yourself shaving your legs.

• Love 2

Duuuuuuuuuuuude, if I had a major trauma nobody be having to ask me to slow down. I'm already trying to milk my smack in the head as brain damage to get out of stuff. I walk around alllllllllll the time pretending my arms or legs don't work.

Sit down and make somebody bring you lemonade.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

OH, my goodness AngelKitty. 😟 This is awful. Sincere sympathy for your sweet Nelson. I know too well how much these losses hurt.

I had a stroke, too, about 9 years ago. I know just what you're going through. One thing I learned after it was to listen to my body. I ended up resting and dozing for hours every afternoon on my recliner. My body insisted I do that and I didn't fight it even though I was quite young and distressed at not being able to do all the stuff I normally do. I advise you not to either. This is how you heal. If you need to rest or nap, do it. That bruise is wicked.

And if you need physical therapy (as I did for partial paralysis on my right side) it's imperative to start immediately or your brain can permanently forget how to send the signals. I made a complete recovery and here's sincerely hoping the same for you!

Yeah, the blood thinners. I take only one 1/2 strength aspirin every day, but if I even get a paper cut I look like I'm in the middle of a crime scene. 😂

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I think I'm OK but I am still exhausted. Mr. AK keeps reminding me my body just had a major trauma and not to do too much but it's so hard.

So sorry to hear about your double whammy of unfortunate  events, I wish you a speedy recovery on both counts.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

And Aliens.

It didn't quite have the scare factor of the original, when the captain was in the vent ducts with the little flame gun and motion sensor, it was so simple yet genuinely frightening, Aliens was about as good as a sequel can get though.

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never saw the original or the sequel.

😱

I agree about Khan, although the so obviously fake chest took some getting past.

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

The thing is, the chest was really his. No fakery at all.  He did quite a bit of bodybuilding and remained fit.

Well he's definitely got some definition in the photos, whether its 'Khan' definition i'm not so sure. Admittedly its been many, many years since I saw the film, but the overriding memory of his chest is that it didn't seem to move, it didn't flex or twitch, that may well be the years playing with the memory, ill reserve judgement until I can watch it again, but kudos to the guy if that was all him.

17 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

ill reserve judgement until I can watch it again, but kudos to the guy if that was all him.

Jack LaLanne had an amazing physique even at 70, as does Chuck Norris and Stephen Lang, who is in his late 60's I believe. Ricardo was younger than either of them at 62, and was into fitness and working out long before it became mainstream. I recall reading (although I have no source at the moment) that he wanted to wear that outfit as he was rightfully proud of his body.  Ricardo Montalban was an amazing person in every way, IMO.:)

• Love 2
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Ricardo Montalban was an amazing person in every way, IMO.:)

Its not the first time I've used UTube to look for peoples chests, but most definitely the first looking for a mans, and after much 'Khan' searching i'll have to detract my "so obviously fake" comment, apologies Ricardo old boy!

My favourite Ricardo moment was when he was on the Tonight Show, the night Carson destroyed that charlatan uri geller (lower case), although he did slightly help geller slip slide out of it, and he was wearing an awful blue safari suit. 😱

It's a joy to behold watching the scumbag squirm, but he always manages to slime his way out of a situation.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

nothing more fun than prepping for a hurricane. Not evacuating, in fact I'm at work. Apparently we defy mother nature. We will get wind and rain and possibly lose power but not the brunt of the storm. Good luck to everyone in Dorian's path!

• Love 2

There are several teams that I hope you are on, Caterpillars, please tell me their boat looks like a caterpillar. Nashville Paddle Company, from their description they seem fun. and the unbelievably bad surfers. These are the teams I'm rooting for. Maybe Stroke of Genius.

30 minutes ago, Nashville said:

P. S.: I know from the camera angles it’s difficult to tell who won, but we’re boat #3. 😉

Very cool! So, like, are you in one of the boats?

Forgive my ignorance. The only thing I know about Dragon boat racing is from a  jigsaw puzzle I'm working on. 

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Very cool! So, like, are you in one of the boats?

Forgive my ignorance. The only thing I know about Dragon boat racing is from a  jigsaw puzzle I'm working on. 

Yup - I’m in boat #3.  🙂 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

^^ Wow. Seriously impressed here!

So am I - I actually still have two fully functional rotator cuffs!  IT’S A MIRACLE!!!  😂😂😂

(Well, 85-90% functional - close enough for government work)

31 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I wasn't implying you're doddering. 🤣

You WEREN’T???  😱😱😱

...kidding. 😆   

No, you have to understand how I dragonboat.  110% ?  Fuck THAT shit, and kiss my ass.  In years past I’ve been known to destroy the left side of my body in the (approximately) minute and twenty seconds it takes to run a heat - and come back in the very next heat paddling on the right side.  And then spend 4-6 months in PT rehabbing the damage, just to turn around and do the same thing all over again next year.  I prefer to grease the bottom of my boat with the bodies of my unlucky victims, and I have been known to propel my team to division championships through the sheer power of profane cadence calls.

Uh - I have a certain amount of a competitive streak, you see....

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 1

Congrats ish Nashville. Number 1 as far as we are concerned cuz we don’t know nobody else. 

Ive hauled ass to Texas for dirty work for my sister and everything sucks ass. Most miserable fucking week of my life. Can’t wait to gtfo and never return to Texas as long as I live but I do have to return. Sigh. 

Edited by nachomama
cuz number q aint a thing
On 9/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, icemiser69 said:

R.I.P. Eddie Money.

Another great musician has died.

I never saw him in concert, but with the passing of another real talent it makes me sad to know that all talent in the future will be homogenized, manufactured "artists"  who spew regurgitated pap and who are chosen for success because they have great teeth and hair and have passed the extreme gauntlet of Simon Cowel, Ellen Degeneres and Gloria Estefan's thumbs up or down. And they weep and cry. How they cry!

I can't help but wonder how well Bob Dylan or Janis Joplin, e.g. would have fared before these esteemed, insightful and critical judges of their talent. I mean, neither of them were traditiionally pretty or had 10k of orthodontist work, so I'm sure Simon would have hated them.

Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon. So what?

*disclaimer: All errors I attribute to winE*

• Love 2
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

You might want to put down the wine.

Without wine and this forum I see no reason to watch this insulting drivel. I mean, if TPTB apologized before the opener and said, "We're sorry. We know this is utter shit but it's honestly the best we can do!" might engender some pity. However, the crowing, chest-beating and self-congratulations they do over what they present makes even a non-violent person want to just punch them, hard. Really hard.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This upcoming season couldn't possibly be as bad as last season.   It just couldn't.  Yeah, who am I kidding.  Expect the worst and hope for the best.

"Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall never be disappointed." I guess "he" never watched this show. Even when you expect the worst, they still find new ways to disappoint you. 🙄 But hey - hate-watching or watching just to snark and mock, we're still watching and that's all the adverti$er$ care about. Fool am I. 

• LOL 1

My sister has left the building, Elvis style. Not like on a toilet or anything. I don't mention most real life things mostly because I don't wanna bring anybody down. Luckily my story involves the other sister...So I went from 2 sisters to 0. They lived together in Texas, one (Evil) was technically the caregiver for the eldest (goodone) but really she was just a mooch that has done nothing her entire life. Things were coming to a close for the goodone and I was not unaware, however, I guess I misjudged things. The goodone is still indicating that's she's kicking and shouldn't let Evil write her off just yet. So I get a phone call and Evil is speaking in past tense. I'm all "hold up" and yes indeed this addle brained ninny had not informed me for 17 hours! SEVENTEEN HOURS. I'm screaming because we fought over should I get in the car on Thursday or why in the ever living fuck would you not tell me when it happened? She keeps claiming this is how it was supposed to be. I get in the car and haul ass to Texas. Evil is completely out of her mind. I always knew she was "extra" but always assumed her crazy was manufactured, turns out she's super duper crazy. Purposely went off her meds for the "occasion" so she could make it even more special hell. She's hearing voices, missions from god, keeps talking stupid stupid nonsense at the church and tries to turn my sisters service into some kind of weird online intervention to prevent child abuse. We keep saying over and over this has nothing to do with Goodone and it isn't Evil's funeral. She's wailing and just carrying on confessing to 30 year old crimes and just generally driving everyone crazy.

On the plus side I don't even get to think about being sad about the goodone. On the downside she takes off in the car with a dog and no dog food and we don't know where she's going or how she's gonna get there and no glasses. Ranting on facebook for 3 days about being in a hotel but never saying where until finally we figure out where she is. 3 am have to go haul her stupid ass back, we don't know if she's ruined the car, keeps talking about a tow truck but there's nothing wrong with the car, she was just going to surrender it as "evidence" of all the crimes...she was undercover with the senior citizens center and all the cameras collected all the evidence. omg it went on and on.  We took the keys away from her and told her if she doesn't take her meds she doesn't get to drive and I told her I'll never forgive her. Took care of business as best I could and came home to promptly get sick as a dog. Now I have to figure out what to do with nutball, who is as dead to me as the goodone. believe it or not this is the really really short version.