Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Speaking as a foreigner and someone who’s never met these sort of people

Nor have I.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

All these years the series has been on the air and I don't think they have come across anyone with a banjo.

It's high time to get Steve Martin on this show. He and his banjo would be much more interesting than the Cheese Man.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

At some point I have to watch the Billy Wilder film, "Double Indemnity".

Oh, do watch it. Fred McMurry in his pre-"My Three Sons" goofy dad period and the always wonderful Barbara Stanwyck.

I guess we'll get a remake of that soon, maybe with Jennifer Lopez and Keanu Reeves. I tried to watch the remake of "Papillon". Not only was the original story destroyed, but there's no getting away from comparisons between Steve McQueen and Charlie Hunnam. Nothing against Charlie. He's not a terrible actor, but Steve McQ he is not. When is Hollywood going to learn that you don't remake successful, classic movies. You remake bad movies and make them better. Duh.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I just finished watching "Lifeboat".  The movie wasn't bad, but Tallulah Bankhead was getting on my last nerve..  She was incredibly obnoxious.  I was hoping someone would throw her overboard.

I am more of a "North By Northwest" fan, as well as "Rear Window".

I have never watched  "Strangers on a Train".

"Psycho" isn't bad, but I have to watch it in the daylight.

"The Birds" is just too bloody for me.

Hahaha, I think she's supposed to be stuck-up and bitchy. In real life, she would've been tossed on Day 1! 

Those other ones are also great. The Birds doesn't bother me. Rear Window is probably my favorite, if only for Jimmy Stewart's performance. 

• Love 2
Just now, Superclam said:

Rear Window is probably my favorite, if only for Jimmy Stewart's performance. 

Yes! In my mind, Jimmy Stewart (and James Cagney) could do no wrong even in "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance although he was much too old for the role, but aside from him I do love that movie. I have a whole library of classic movies and when I get utterly disgusted with the comic book franchise movies chock full of guys named "Chris" with the obligatory washboard abs now on the table, I watch one of them.

4 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Hahaha, I think she's supposed to be stuck-up and bitchy.

I think Talullah Bankhead specialized in "stuck up and bitchy" and she was really good at it.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate remakes much like I hate covers of great music.

I would have thought Hollywood would have learned its lesson after remaking "Brian's Song".  How could they possibly think they could do better than the original with Billy Dee Williams and James Caan?   And that was just a television movie.  Then they remake the movie in 2001 with two people I never heard of.

Yeah, I totally agree. I can't think of a recent movie remake that was any good, or at least as good as the original. Total Recall stands out as particularly bad. I haven't seen A Star Is Born yet. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I think Talullah Bankhead specialized in "stuck up and bitchy" and she was really good at it.

Exactly! She made the movie for me, but if you don't like her, you're not going to like the movie too much. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Total Recall stands out as particularly bad.

In the "What the hell were they thinking?" category. The original is one of my favorite movies and the remake is cringeworthy, nonsensical and just plain boring. Maybe part of it is that I cannot watch Colin Farrell withough thinking of the stupid, dumb home movie that idiot made of himself having sex with some Penthouse skank and oh, no - that reminds me of the remake of "The Beguiled". The original with Clint Eastwood was truly creepy and different, while the new version was just kind of disgusting and vile.

Now I'm thinking of the remake of "Clash of the Titans." I really liked the orignal, especially for the amazing creatures created by the incomparable Ray Harryhausen. The remake was just a mess and Sam Worthington might want to rethink his career choices. Abs can't always overcome other shortcomings.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

"The Birds" is just too bloody for me.

Thanks to an insomniac uncle, I first saw "The Birds" when I was about 4 or 5.  It imprinted strongly on me; imagery of the attack on the town (the fire, and particularly the phone booth bit) cropped up frequently in my dreams for years afterwards, and I didn't know why.  It wasn't until I was about 15 or so that I saw the movie again, and realized it must have been the source.

Stuff like that probably explains a lot about why I am the way I am today.  ;>

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Thanks to an insomniac uncle, I first saw "The Birds" when I was about 4 or 5.

The first time I saw it, it freaked me out too, especially the guy in the house with his eyes pecked out. A few years ago I got a book with the short stories of Daphne Dumaurier. "The Birds" bears no relation to the movie, except - well - for the birds. It's a good story.

• Love 2
On 2/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, Superclam said:

Hahaha, I think she's supposed to be stuck-up and bitchy. In real life, she would've been tossed on Day 1! 

Those other ones are also great. The Birds doesn't bother me. Rear Window is probably my favorite, if only for Jimmy Stewart's performance. 

I love Rear Window, and other movies like it, that aren't so good, but they're what some would call a guilty pleasure - I don't do that, usually. If I like it, there's no guilt involved. Like Disturbia: nothing award-winning about it, but it's fine for a snowy afternoon (and then when my mum was in the hospital, we watched it on her TV). 

I watched Deliverance *once* and that was enough, because it freaked me out. 

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, was Pulp Fiction (and here I will say "don't @ me" the way they do on twitter). The beginning and the end were good, and I guess the dance scene that was well-known. I hated the rest. I know I've seen equally bad movies, but I can't remember them right now.

I'm in the mood to just watch movies. Not a TV show, just a good movie or two, before going to bed. 

6 hours ago, Anela said:

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, was Pulp Fiction (and here I will say "don't @ me" the way they do on twitter). The beginning and the end were good, and I guess the dance scene that was well-known. I hated the rest. I know I've seen equally bad movies, but I can't remember them right now.

I might have @ed at you in the past, but it was on a few weeks ago and I got bored in the middle and turned it off. I really liked it when it came out, but I don't think it's aged well. Generally, I think Tarantino is overrated. His dialogue is ridiculous. I'd hire him to DJ a party, though, his soundtracks are the best parts of his films. 

That said, I do like Reservoir Dogs. 

• Love 2
On 2/17/2019 at 10:20 PM, Mu Shu said:

Let’s talk squirrel head gumbo.  Nothing like a slick, greasy grey sludge with little skulls sneering at you.

i think the egg bread was cloud bread. 

I ran across cloud bread and I concur I believe it's the same and it is downright putrid.

Is Reservoir Dogs the one with Mr. Pink and Mr. Orange? The only thing I even care about in one of them is where they all sit around discussing how much to tip. Killers talking about who is too cheap to tip, etc. I was a server at the time so I got a tremendous chuckle out of that.

20 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Is Reservoir Dogs the one with Mr. Pink and Mr. Orange? The only thing I even care about in one of them is where they all sit around discussing how much to tip. Killers talking about who is too cheap to tip, etc. I was a server at the time so I got a tremendous chuckle out of that.

Yes. 

• Love 1

funny and interesting childhood?

I was sitting in my dad's truck and he had no power steering "My Sharona" was on the radio and I was "dancing" cuz I could swing the steering wheel back and forth, I stepped on a fish hook that was on the floor board. My dad told me it was my fault cuz I was being an idiot. \

One time I also got yelled at on Christmas because I stepped on my sister's dollar that we got and then I opened the wrong gift because I couldn't read cursive writing so I cried and my dad sent me to my room and we have all this on a tape recorder because my mom wanted to sync up the sound with the 8 mm movies my dad was filming. So you can hear me wailing all the way down the hall and you can hear my dad yell at me "you better dry it up, before I give you something to cry about".  I was pretty much an idiot as a child and definitely shoulda been a victim of Darwin's survival of the fittest. before the crying I was only making little squeak noises, I didn't talk. I find myself quite annoying. Apparently before kindergarten I didn't talk much and most people thought I was "special" and my parents thought for sure I would be in special ed classes. then they signed me up and I turned out to be kinda smart. they was confused. I think they just had to get me separatd from my sister, she did all my talking for me.

• Love 1

Oh! Once upon a time we were sitting in a field next to the road and my friend was sticking twigs in my hair. A gold station wagon drove by and then turned around and came back. A dude wearing overalls stepped out and dropped trou and we all ran screaming. I had forgotten the twigs so I was basically dropping leaves as I ran. He probably stopped cuz I was an idiot child with leaves instead of hair.

I was born an Army brat.  My father got out of the military not too long after I was born, but he had a touch of The Great Santini about him; part of his time in service had been as a drill sergeant, and it took him a while to shake that loose - one of the reasons why to this day I respond as quickly to my last name as I do my first, because when I was in trouble I got addressed by surname at something in the neighborhood of 130 dB or so.

Anyway - the earliest bonding experience I remember with my father?  Him spending a few afternoons teaching me the proper way to throw a bayonet.  By the time we were done I could sink a bayonet into a tree better than an inch deep from an 8-10’ range or so, about three different ways.  I was 5 at the time.  That was kinda our relationship’s version of playing “catch”.  🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

My father got out of the military not too long after I was born, but he had a touch of The Great Santini about him;

"Shut your yaps and police this place up, sports fans!"?  Sorry to hear that, Nashville. I read the book and then saw the movie.😱

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Shut your yaps and police this place up, sports fans!"?  Sorry to hear that, Nashville. I read the book and then saw the movie.😱

No worries.  Pa wasn’t 100% full-blown “Bull”-ish - especially not the drinking - but it took him a little while to adjust to life outside the constraints of military expectations and norms, and the drill sergeant discipline and behaviors took a LONG time to shake loose.  Also probably didn’t help that his only son was a four-eyed liberal intellectual with a big brain and even bigger mouth (yeah, we got those in the South too).  😄

• Love 5

I once thought I was pregnant when I was 6-7, not sure how funny that is. But I have a sister who is 15 years older than me and when she had a baby my mom told us how babies were made. I played "war" with my friend Regina's brother and he was rescuing us and we were POW's and we got ambushed. So he threw me on the ground and covered me. So I thought I was pregnant because a boy was on top of me. I was not the brightest bulb in the box.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, icemiser69 said:

Any funny or interesting moments from your childhood?

I was a little kid running around the yard barefoot.  I stepped on a bee and was stung in the process.  I was bawling like a baby.   So, my oldest sibling walks up to me and says, "imagine how the bee feels".

I stuck a cigarette filter up my nose and ate a poisonous plant.  Then I carried a dead hawk around for an afternoon.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I stuck a cigarette filter up my nose and ate a poisonous plant.  Then I carried a dead hawk around for an afternoon.

9 hours ago, Nashville said:

All on the same day? 😉

My exact same reaction! Damn Lassie would have had a time with you! "Where's Timmy? He fell in a volcano? He was juggling scorpions? on a pogo stick?!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Swear to god - when I read that, my reaction was exactly the same as the very last guy in this:

https://youtu.be/94wGndbOIPk

🤣🤣🤣

You’uns are mean, I was an extremely active child.  

The poison plant and filter were on the same day.  The hawk happened after.

then I tied my annoying cousin to a chair and made her sit in oyster shells.  My other cousin had a more sinister plan for her, so that was the compromise. 

She had snitched on us, so we were showing her what we were gonna did.  Little punk she was.  

• LOL 1

Interesting moments? I do vaguely remember  - I was maybe three - putting a doorknob in my mouth and then probably turning blue because I couldn't breathe. I ran to my mother who grabbed me by the ankles, turned me upsidedown and shook me. It worked.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Is there a forum for Ride w/ Norman Reedus? I searched and searched and can't locate one. But it could also be user error.

No, I've never seen one here, even in the previous version of the forums. I looked when the first season was on. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Is there a forum for Ride w/ Norman Reedus? I searched and searched and can't locate one. But it could also be user error.

Ask the Mod if they can set one up, they did say to let them know if we had any show requests.

On ‎02‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, Mu Shu said:

You’uns are mean, I was an extremely active child.  

The poison plant and filter were on the same day.  The hawk happened after.

then I tied my annoying cousin to a chair and made her sit in oyster shells.  My other cousin had a more sinister plan for her, so that was the compromise. 

She had snitched on us, so we were showing her what we were gonna did.  Little punk she was.  

Are you currently employed by the mob? You growed up scary. I'm quite skurred of you.

Every year my niece would come visit in the summer and we somehow always ended up wounding her in some fashion. One year we were playing circus games and basically tumbling the small children. We were laying down with our knees up and the little kids would climb on and we would "buck" them like the rodeo or then we learned how to flip them through the air. and of course we sprained her arm. We wrecked her on the her bike. One year after vacation bible school we were tooling around on a little Honda 75 motorcycle, maybe 1 step above a mo-ped and she was singing the vacation bible school songs and dancing. I told her that she can't dance because she was jerking the bike back and forth and the next thing you know, we went SPLAT! She was fine, got up and we were laughing then a humongous torrent of blood gushed out of her head. She screamed and ran and ditched me,  I had to push the bike home. By the time I got there my mother and various neighbors were patching her up. It was a minor scratch but apparently your noggin bleeds like a mofo and she was more scared than anything but holy hell did I get in trouble. To this day I catch hell about the time I gave her massive headwound (the scar is very small)

This reminds me of another story involving the niece. My mother was a fascinating (completely nutso) woman who in 30 some odd years of driving had never mastered the art of downshifting. My father insisted we always had a stick shift, no automatic transmissions for us. So my mother took us swimming and we were driving home, my niece was in my lap in the front seat and my mom was driving on the frontage road, and she was behind a little old man going slow. So my mom tried to pass him, only she has never learned that you can't gain speed in 5th gear. So we see a car on the horizon. We alert my mother because even though we are like 8-9 years old we know she cray cray needs all the help she can get. So we alert her again and my niece jumps into the back seat and buckles up. We notice there are lights on top of the car. We said, "mom that's a cop, drop back" My mothers only response to all of this was "I can make it" so eventually she runs the cop off the road and swings around and very calmly approaches the vehicle. "ma'am, do you realize we nearly had a head on collision?" and she says "I thought I could make it" . he gave her a $50 ticket which she paid immediately so my dad would never find out. this was also the day she bought the Madonna nekkid playboy issue cuz she wanted to see what the fuss was about. So she bought a magazine, looked at Madonna naked and saw she had hairy armpits and said she was not impressed then gave the magazine to some teenagers.

• Love 1

It's ridiculous, because there's about 3 inches of slush on the ground. Buses and subways are working. 

And yes, I'm going with "when I was a kid," but when I was a kid, I think they cancelled school due to snow twice in my 13 years of pre-college education.  

• Love 2

I only vaguely remember a few snow days and now one of my childhood bff's works for the schools back home and she's always posting 2 hour delays and school's cancelled notices and I was like "damn, do you ever go to work?" Seems like we had 2 maybe, tops, because I know if you hit like 5 you have to have make up days and we never ever ever ever had make up days.

• LOL 1
On 2/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, icemiser69 said:

Any funny or interesting moments from your childhood?

My Mum used to drag me out to all sorts of places late at night when I was a wee one.  Long before he became my stepdaddy, but long after he stole my soul, Mum followed him one night with me in tow (of course).  We ended up parked somewhere watching his car, and she tried her best to make me hide on the floorboards of his back seat, and instructed me to pop up and say "HI, Daddy" once he drove away with his paramour.  She tried to assure me she'd be following right behind, and that he wouldn't kill me, and even promised me White Spot if I complied.  I did not.  And never held it against her.  He made everyone around him crazy - he was that fucking evil.

1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

When I was a kid, my biggest dream was to live in my own apartment and melt a pound of butter and eat it with a spoon.

OH, god - couldn't wait to get my own place (unlike today's youth, who hunker on Mommy's sofa til a court order is issued for them to get their asses out of there). The butter was also a dream since we only ever had margarine at home, but what I really wanted to do was cook a pound of bacon and eat the whole damned thing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

We usually had quite a few snow days, but it always did stink that once you hit a certain number, days were added to the end of the school year.

That happened here during Hurricane Sandy - President's week was taken away! 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

OH, god - couldn't wait to get my own place (unlike today's youth, who hunker on Mommy's sofa til a court order is issued for them to get their asses out of there). The butter was also a dream since we only ever had margarine at home, but what I really wanted to do was cook a pound of bacon and eat the whole damned thing.

Come to my house.  We will melt the butter with cheese, bacon, and Tabasco and eat it with a spoon. 

It really burns my biscuits when dumbasses  at work hope for a hurricane to get off work.  Like it’s fun to be in 94 degrees with no ac and nowhere to go and a bunch of fucking trees to chop up.  Then your old, loud Cuban cousin shows up to play dominoes, eat all the food, and demand you fetch water from the pool to flush the toilet.  And bitch about Fidel Castro.  Who is dead.

Edited by Mu Shu
  • LOL 4
14 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

It really burns my biscuits when dumbasses  at work hope for a hurricane to get off work.  Like it’s fun to be in 94 degrees with no ac and nowhere to go and a bunch of fucking trees to chop up.

It does seem a mite self-centered to hope for a disaster so you can get some time off work. Heh.

14 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Then your old, loud Cuban cousin shows up to play dominoes, eat all the food, and demand you fetch water from the pool to flush the toilet.  And bitch about Fidel Castro.  Who is dead.

🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I do recall rolling up pieces of bread, squishing them into tight little balls and eating them, now I think "how gummy was that?" and also taking a bite out of the stick of butter, which has been established was margarine. blech also salad with Miracle whip which does underneath say "salad dressing" which was how my dad liked to eat salad so I tried to be like him. His idea of salad was literally a bowl of lettuce with Miracle whip on it. so yeah...gross.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

His idea of salad was literally a bowl of lettuce with Miracle whip on it. so yeah...gross.

Yeah. That's the only salad we had when I was a kid - and the lettuce was only ever iceberg -  but if we were very lucky we'd sometimes get a slice of tomato in it. Or onions. I hate raw onions to this day.

My mother used to eat mashed potato sandwiches but never could I go there.

5 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

We had mayo and lettuce sandwiches and also sometimes ketchup.  Let me tell you that sucked.

You're lucky you got the lettuce and ketchup. We only got the mayo.  You're just trying to be all high and mighty (an expression from a Judge Judy litigant to express her disdain for people who work for a living).

21 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Come to my house.  We will melt the butter with cheese, bacon, and Tabasco and eat it with a spoon. 

Oh, gawd - I'm there. Now I think I have to put on my longjohns, socks, boots, scarf, hat, coat and mittens and go buy bacon. 😮

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

We had baloney and ketchup sammiches. hurl.

I did go to a girl's house once and they made "dip" for chips and it was mayo, mustard and ketchup swirled and I could barely contain my stomach contents. I understand that it's basically thousand island but I don't have to see it made so that was a new one on me.

Yes, it was only iceberg lettuce as a child. Never heard of no fancy romaine, and we never died from the lettuce neither! I'm very basic, salad now can be any combination of lettuceseses, letteese? Letti? anywho, I adore a tomato, there's a special pointy cherry tomato that is especially tasty, cheese of some sort, preferably a very sharp cheddar, some croutons, some bacon, I'll throw in carrots or broccoli if I've got it. (I don't care for cucumber, I say it's a non food, it has no taste, if it comes with a salad I'll take it but I'm not spending my money on a non-food) I do enjoy possibly some grilled chicken in the salad and avocado when it's perfect. I say I've moved light years beyond the lettuce and miracle whip but it's still just your basic salad.

My sister makes a salad that I do not care for, it's basically got everything but the kitchen sink in it. Pepperoni. (blech) she won't eat cooked vegetables but she'll eat anything raw so this thing will have jicama, broccoli, cauliflower, sunflower seeds, onions, cabbage, carrots. It's like $94 to make a salad.

• Love 1