Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not sure where you are going with this.  Would you care to expand on the subject?

It was proposed to me by my ex this past weekend.  What is my life? Google it, urban dictionary.  What the fuck is Wong with people?? 

Oh, and the new wave oven is phenomenal. You all should get one. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought mandolin slicers had a safety guard to protect fingers?

They have a tool to use to push the veggies down the slicer, but if someone is not thinking or in a hurry they might overlook using it, with unpleasant results.

The cap thing on the left must be used if you wish to keep your fingertips intact:

mandolin.jpg

• Love 2
14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

but if someone is not thinking or in a hurry

Or is a man, we don’t read instructions, we don’t ask directions and we’re not so stupid as to misjudge the thickness of a pepper!

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought mandolin slicers had a safety guard to protect fingers?

They do, my one’s even bright red so you don’t lose it in the bottom of the drawer.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2

I got the insta-pot which is a programmable pressure cooker thang. I've done some nice things with it but have yet to cook my food in the future with it. (for the superb owl I made pecan smoked wings, tasty but you smell like campfire after)

Oh those mandolin thangs are deadly. People get to the end of their potato/zuchini and take off the cap because you're wasting half a potato and shoom off goes a finger, I've scraped a knuckle or three but never on vegetable guillotine.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, nachomama said:

I got the insta-pot which is a programmable pressure cooker thang. I've done some nice things with it but have yet to cook my food in the future with it. (for the superb owl I made pecan smoked wings, tasty but you smell like campfire after)

Oh those mandolin thangs are deadly. People get to the end of their potato/zuchini and take off the cap because you're wasting half a potato and shoom off goes a finger, I've scraped a knuckle or three but never on vegetable guillotine.

I wondered why you were cooking wings for your owl, but realized the "b" didn't catch up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, nachomama said:

I've scraped a knuckle or three but never on vegetable guillotine.

Me too, but with a cheese grater. Frickin' hurts.

Programmable pressure cooker: The future is here.  I remember my mother's. Thing weighed about 50lbs and the steam was nearly enough to blow the roof off.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Programmable pressure cooker: The future is here.  I remember my mother's. Thing weighed about 50lbs and the steam was nearly enough to blow the roof off.

Ever see one of those old-style pressure cookers crack?  My grandmother’s did once.  Quite the respectable little bomb, it was.

• Love 1

Ugh, ever gone to a “happy hour” with someone only to find out that the bar was already 3 deep with 20 somethings at 4pm?  And we had to wait for five more fuckers I was not aware we were waiting for to arrive.  Found a quiet spot outside in the 76 degree breezy weather.  Got a headache waiting for the idiots to arrive from no food, and once the idiots strolled in 1.5 hours late, one idiot insisted the entire party of 7 get up and go inside, because her bitch ass is allergic to the outdoors.  Inside is now 4 deep at the bar and restaurant side, and too loud to even hear anyone shouting. 

why do people make their lives difficult by bringing in unpredictable assholes who ruin the damn evening?   I could have been at Southport raw bar having my favorite shrimps with a smaller crowd and less noise.

i just hate when people invite you somewhere and don’t tell you that they also invited multiple other late ass fuckers who will hi jack the night.  

And today my ears are ringing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, jingles13 said:

''HAPPY NEW YEAR''...EVERYONE!! :)

th.jpg

Happy Belated New Year, Jingles! Sorry I missed you. Say hi to the gang in the FB group. And, to WT, if you know how to reach her! And, a most Happy New Year to you, OoohMaggie!! Bet you're missing Maggie. And to everyone else! :)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm a big fan. Have you read the book? I like that they're developing it slowly. New season in March! 

Didn’t know either the book or the series existed until a couple of weeks ago, when they started running promos for the new season.  The promos did get my curiosity engaged, though, so off to OnDemand I went to check out the first season - and now there goes yet another slice of my free time....  🙂

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 2

I binged "Russian Doll" over the weekend. I liked it although I ended up texting somebody that I feel like I'm living the story, same shit; different day.

I watched season 1 of American Gods, Ian McShane I will follow anywhere, it's weird and wasn't tremendously fond of the ending but I'll attempt to track down season 2.

My mother had the old fashioned pressure cooker, I seem to recall her making chicken and dumplings/noodles in it? although are dumplings noodles? hers was noodles that spread out all over the house, rolled out dough and we got to "help" by slicing the strips or by literally hanging the noodles all over the kitchen and dining room to dry. and I think she called it chicken and dumplings but these were never the poofy biscuit looking things I've seen that are called chicken and dumplings. those too me never cook and they're gummy. blech

The most horrendous thing my mother ever made was "egg bread", I guess she was on a diet and basically you whip up some egg whites into a meringue and then I don't know what you add to make it bread rather than meringue, but dear lord in heaven it was grody to the max. and this is saying something because when I think back on some of the crap we used to eat.

A "fun" treat was bologna pizza, yes you heard that right. bologna was your "crust" and you put some ketchup on it, cheese and olives and pepperoni or whatever your toppings might be. We made faces etc. but people, it was bologna...wtf?

My mother was very midwestern, from Iowa so a casserole was her friend. She also did stuffed peppers and cabbage rolls which were disgusting. She made something with rice, cream of something soup (celery or chicken) it had ham, green chiles (you could probably throw in whatever leftover vegetable you had, broccoli, corn or carrots) and your "wow" moment was that it was topped with sliced cheese (not shredded, good lord, not a product made from nature) the god awful plastic wrapped cheese so that when you baked it, it had a nice brown cheese toast crust on it. she called it "strip cheeser casserole".

Butter was called "oleo" in our house that would be the first margarine product before it became marketed as margarine. JUST SO YOU KNOW I AINT THAT FRIKKIN OLD, MY MOTHER WAS!

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

The most horrendous thing my mother ever made was "egg bread", I guess she was on a diet and basically you whip up some egg whites into a meringue and then I don't know what you add to make it bread rather than meringue, but dear lord in heaven it was grody to the max. and this is saying something because when I think back on some of the crap we used to eat.

A "fun" treat was bologna pizza, yes you heard that right. bologna was your "crust" and you put some ketchup on it, cheese and olives and pepperoni or whatever your toppings might be. We made faces etc. but people, it was bologna...wtf?

My mother was very midwestern, from Iowa so a casserole was her friend. She also did stuffed peppers and cabbage rolls which were disgusting. She made something with rice, cream of something soup (celery or chicken) it had ham, green chiles (you could probably throw in whatever leftover vegetable you had, broccoli, corn or carrots) and your "wow" moment was that it was topped with sliced cheese (not shredded, good lord, not a product made from nature) the god awful plastic wrapped cheese so that when you baked it, it had a nice brown cheese toast crust on it. she called it "strip cheeser casserole".

Butter was called "oleo" in our house that would be the first margarine product before it became marketed as margarine. JUST SO YOU KNOW I AINT THAT FRIKKIN OLD, MY MOTHER WAS!

I think your mother and my mother may have been related - in a spiritually thrifty sense, at least.  😄

• Love 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My mother had gotten this pretty horrible stew recipe that had kale in it.  It was so bad, no one could choke it down.  I think one of my siblings had to bury it in the backyard.  We didn't have a garbage disposal. 

I actually LOLd at this. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, nachomama said:

My mother had the old fashioned pressure cooker, I seem to recall her making chicken and dumplings/noodles in it?

OH, my mother made  stew with dumplings in the pressure cooker and yes, made with Bisquick.  I loved that.

Our big treat was getting pickle and bologna sandwiches. No bread, just take sweet bread'n butter pickles, place on slice of bologna and roll it up. I loved that too.

• Love 1

Rude, did you bring one for all of us? How are your festering wounds?

My mother made peanut butter and mayo sandwiches...please, rub your eyes like the cartoons, because it does say peanut butter and mayo. Miracle whip actually. I did not partake in these. We were an oleo and miracle whip household and neither of those things exist in my home today.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, nachomama said:

My mother made peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.

No biggie. My brother and I got - as a special treat after our Sunday night baths - a mayonnaise sandwich. Just mayo, on really soft white bread. I recall how we loved it. Oh, another treat was being given the bag of white margarine with the little dot of orange stuff in the middle and being allowed to squeeze it until the nasty, lardy marge turned yellow and we could pretend it was butter. I still remember the crackle as we squeezed the bag.

Bisquick was/is good for a lot of things. 

I still use it for making things like banana bread.

15 hours ago, Nashville said:

Oh - did I mention I got a new toy a couple of weeks or so back?

Damn, that is cute and sweet! Just what I need for the 4-foot snow drifts here.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That is totally awesome.  I like the color.

I’m kinda loving it myself. I’m thinking of getting a 4’ stuffed banana, putting a Bob Marley wig and hat on it, and strapping it into the passenger seat so we can cruise the HOV lanes. 😄

• Love 2

I recall a show I watched once, I swear it was Australian Pippi Longstocking and she rode her horse to school and they made fun of her and then they made fun of her lunch which was a mayo sandwich and they took the bread and smeared the mayo all over the floor. The mayo sandwich always stood out for me, I can't stand the image of mayo being squished. Like in a commercial they show puttin the top slice of bread on a sandwich or a burger and they smoosh it down and cheese and mayo ooze out. The ooze gives me the heebie jeebies. I can have mayo on a sandwich (never Miracle whip people, please let's be real) I just can't look at it or have it ooze at me.

The bag of margarine is a new one on me.

Anybody remember Monkey blood? those merthiolate swabs that you would crack the little hourglass doohicky and it was orange and burned like mofo? I used to love to crack the little vial. It's possible that my mother once found the first aid kit and all the monkey blood was already cracked and she had to assume one of the little children dropped it bringing it to the scene of a 3 bike pile up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The bag of margarine is a new one on me.

Until not that long ago the dairy board here decreed there was to be no yellow margarine sold, the reasoning being that we idiots wouldn't be able to tell the difference between butter and margarine if the marge was yellow too and might buy marge when we really wanted butter. Hence, the marge had to be sold lard-white, with the little tabs of food colouring to turn it yellow.

I can't stand the image of mayo being squished

You must have hated the commercial of the guy in the restaurant ordering a sandwich and when the waitress brings it he looks at it and says, "I didn't want mayo" so she takes the top slice of bread, scrapes off the mayo on the edge of the table then slaps the bread back on his sandwich. I recall that because I thought at the time, "Omg, that's the kind of waitress I would be."  Lucky I never had to deal with the public. Lucky for them, I  mean.

• Love 1

oh heavens yes! when something squicks me out I have to grab my neck so I would be all squirmy holding my neck. doesn't matter where or what, the heebie jeebie feeling always makes me grab my neck. If I'm watching an old timey movie and they gotta cut off somebody's leg with a bone saw, they never show it but you hear the bone saw sounds....it aint my leg that hurts, it's my neck.

My mother used to love a commercial for mustard where a little boy climbs on a chair to make himself a sammich. And he's singing "you are my sunshine" while slathering mustard on his bread then he just eats a mustard sandwich. My mother just loooooooved that kid thought he was soooooo cute. Omg I hated it.

Since we are going back in time, I just wanna tell ya I got a date with Lloyd Dobbler. John Cusack is doing some kind of tour where he shows either "Say Anything" or "high fidelity" and then there's a talk afterward. Even though I saw Diane Court sucked and he should have ended up with Corey

• Love 1

We had the squeeze bottle of liquid margarine too.

We had the snoopy snow cone maker, sure it would make you a snow cone, if you could wait until february to get it. Lord that sucker took frikkin forever.

I used to love candy cigarettes, ha! kinda minty. I've tried some of the gum like blackjack etc that has gone out of existence. there's some retro candy company that still makes some of it. they make mary janes (peanut buttery chew things) chick-o-stick ( pre curser to a butter finger, no chocolate on the outside) necco wafers. I didn't really have those in my childhood but there was something cherry, like a taffy or something that I can distinctly remember the taste of. Loved it! can't find it. It isn't the super tart cherry laffy taffy or whatever nowadays, the closest I've come is tootsie rolls in cherry flavor.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

grilled cheese sandwiches that he used to make using Velveeta cheese.

To this day, that is one of my favorite things. Now that I' mature, I class it up with cheese nachos on the side.

Who remembers McIntosh taffy, candy sponges and spaceships? Really when I think of the sponges and taffy I don't know how any of us kids left childhood with teeth intact. We also used to break off icicles outside and eat them like suckers. Imagine, with all those germs yet we survived somehow.

10 hours ago, nachomama said:

If I'm watching an old timey movie and they gotta cut off somebody's leg with a bone saw, they never show it but you hear the bone saw sounds....it aint my leg that hurts, it's my neck.

That's the way I feel about any scenes involving teeth-pulling/breaking or anything to do with eyeballs. To this day I never watched the moment when Tony Soprano gave Coco the curb stomp. Makes my stomach clench just thinking about it.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

That's the way I feel about any scenes involving teeth-pulling/breaking or anything to do with eyeballs. To this day I never watched the moment when Tony Soprano gave Coco the curb stomp. Makes my stomach clench just thinking about it.

Ever see Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman?  I saw it as a teen, and the “interrogation scene” in that movie reinforced a phobia about dentists I didn’t shake until I was in my thirties.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Ever see Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman?

OH, god, that's exactly what I was thinking about, but couldn't remember the title. I didn't see much of the scene because I had to stop watching the movie right there, yet it stays with me still.  Combined two of my biggest "icks" - torture AND tooth stuff. The stuff of nightmares for me.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Who remembers McIntosh taffy, candy sponges and spaceships? Really when I think of the sponges and taffy I don't know how any of us kids left childhood with teeth intact. We also used to break off icicles outside and eat them like suckers. Imagine, with all those germs yet we survived somehow.

Remember Pixie Sticks? They didn't even try to hide the fact that they were just sugar with a little color and sour added in. Same thing with those pouches of sugar that came with a hard candy paddle to slurp it up with. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

This christmas I found pixie stix candy canes! Hollow candy canes, cherry flavor, and then inside was the pixie dust. I was going to take them to work for sheer omg factor but then I thought of sticky fingers on keyboards.

Remember on Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy sprinkled pixie sticks on her sandwich? She took the meat off, there was mayo (blergh) I think captain crunch, something unidentifiable and topped it off with the pixie stick and smashed it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Remember Pixie Sticks? They didn't even try to hide the fact that they were just sugar with a little color and sour added in.

Pixy Stix were, like, fucking great.  Back when I was helping coach my oldest daughter’s Little League softball team, one of the team moms had bought something like several cases of the stuff and would hand them out to the girls right before each game.  We rode to a perfect 14-0 season on the back of those diabetes-inducing little fuckers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I heard of turkish delight but didn't know what it was. And treacle, wtf is treacle?

I can officially say I'm all bruised up on my knees for valentines day. I just biffed it in the hallway tripping over a stool. but that's not how I'll tell it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

We also used to break off icicles outside and eat them like suckers. Imagine, with all those germs yet we survived somehow.

When I was a kid and Mother was cooking sausages, I always nicked at least one and ate it raw, delicious, when cooking rashers of bacon she used to cut off the rind and layer of bright white fat, I used to grip the fat between my teeth and pull the rind off, then eat the fat, totally raw, she baked loads of cakes and I used to eat all the scrapings of left over mixture, raw eggs and all. I never once got ill  and I never get stomach upsets to this day, just lucky? Mmmmmm,  if a parent let their child do that today the kid would end up in care 🤢

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I would think the unopened cereal prizes could be worth something and certainly the baseball cards.

I used to love getting temporary tattoos as the prizes in crack jack. Most were duds. I never liked fruity cereal. Captain crunch was my favorite. of course, gotta eat with milk and cereal separate and only 1 spoonful meets at a time. and never ever ever drink the milk! blech.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I watched "Deliverance" the day after Christmas.  Nothing says the holidays like Ned Beatty running up a hill.

The movie is great. The acting is stellar and mostly follows the book exactly, but although the homosexual rape occured, the long, drawn-out "Squeal like a pig" didn't happen in the book at all. I must say that this was Burt Reynold's finest moment. He was book Lewis, through and through. I read the book before I saw the movie and wasn't disappointed. I think it's the memory of that movie that made me see Joe and the Claimers as so frightening.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

When I was a kid and Mother was cooking sausages, I always nicked at least one and ate it raw, delicious, when cooking rashers of bacon she used to cut off the rind and layer of bright white fat, I used to grip the fat between my teeth and pull the rind off, then eat the fat, totally raw, she baked loads of cakes and I used to eat all the scrapings of left over mixture, raw eggs and all.

Raw pork. Jesus! Haha! When my mother was cooking those sausages, I had to have them burned, like burned black. Burned sausages with ketchup - yum!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Also a big fan of  "Three Days of the Condor".  Now that is a scary flick.

Major fan of both the movie and the book (Seven Days of the Condor).

BTW - If you like that, you’d probably also enjoy The Eiger Sanction (book and/or movie); some very -ah- unique character studies involved.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I saw the movie on Turner Classic Movies and the host had talked about how Reynolds performed a stunt that landed him in the hospital. 

From the Wikipedia entry for Deliverance:

In one scene, the stunt coordinator decided that a scene showing a canoe with a dummy of Burt Reynolds in it looked phony; he said it looked "like a canoe with a dummy in it". Reynolds requested to have the scene re-shot with himself in the canoe rather than the dummy. After shooting the scene, Reynolds, coughing up river water and nursing a broken coccyx, asked how the scene looked. The director responded, "like a canoe with a dummy in it".

😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I thought there was a scene missing from the movie.  Normally TCM shows their movies uncut.

The scene most frequently cut is a little more -ah- detailed examination of Ned Beatty's tribulations.

Burt Reynold's character ends up with a compound fracture of the leg after he ends up falling out of the boat.  They had no problems showing the injury.  However, they never showed the leg being "set" and stabilized.  All of a sudden he has his leg immobilized with a couple of oars and other material strapped to that leg. 

The leg break was scripted; the tailbone break, not so much. 😉

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

The leg break was scripted; the tailbone break, not so much

Right. The broken leg, with the bone protruding through the skin was in the book, which went into more detail about that. I highly recommend the book.

Another interesting tidbit: When "Banjo Boy" was supposed to turn away from Ronny Cox he wouldn't do it, since he liked Cox, so Ned Beatty was told to stand behind Cox. Banjo boy didn't like Beatty, so he turned away.

IMO, one of the greatest scenes ever:

• Love 2
19 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

IMO, one of the greatest scenes ever:

Speaking as a foreigner and someone who’s never met these sort of people, the whole idea of strange folk living in the swamps and backwoods has always been intriguing, taking a wrong turn off the highway and running into Mr “squeal like a pig” and his buddies, you see a cop and think you’ve been saved only to discover said cop is Mr Squeal’s cousin!

Another great movie with that sort of setting was Southern Comfort, obviously no offence to swamp and backwoods dwellers who aren’t strange 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Superclam said:

Such a great movie!! A full drama unfolds with a small cast and one set. You can only have that with great actors.

Didn’t we get that aboard Strand’s ‘Abigail’ over on Fear? 😆

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1