Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Yeah it has been a tad excessive lately.  But I'm an old school TWoP snarker anyway, and I don't blame them entirely.  We need to vent.  I'm still watching the show, not hate-watching; I'm just gruntled right now like nachomama.  Maybe I expect too much from a zombie show but it's hit some high peaks in the past and I'm always looking for a return to those times. 

I think complaint is the default nature of board discussion of most shows because otherwise it's all "Hey, you remember that thing. ... It was awesome."

I think this has so far been a great season of TWD - the first two episodes were among the best they've ever done and the next two were good even if the morgan story was poorly placed in the season. This episode wasn't great but they've had worse.

Most importantly though, JBody, you had better start caring about some ASZhats real quick or else they're gonna kill off a CDB cast member to make you feel sad when it's time to next kill somebody off. So, pick some Alexandrian redshirt (or FPP who can die in the process) and start expressing your love for them right now or else  ...

Edited by rab01
  • Love 3

Firefly is a fave, and I watch anything containing any Firefly cast members. It's how I ended up watching Chuck. I adore me some Jayne.  I'll be in my bunk.

Hey.  Have you watched Con Man?  That's Tudyk and Fillion's web series about the life of an actor (Tudyk) post Firefly-like show as he makes the round of various sci-fi/comic conventions.  Its got every (I think) Firefly cast member and tons of sci-fi (BSG, Star Trek, etc.) actors making appearances. 

I've watched the trailers and the comic con panel (sue me, Tudyk and Fillion make a career out of pranking their panels...it amuses me.) and it looks funny as hell.  I'm trying to decide between rent, buy streaming, or wait (hopefully) for a DVD.  But I haven't come across anyone who has seen it to help break my indecision.

Edited by ParadoxLost

"Angel" was a good show.  Really gelled between 2-5th seasons.  Never became stale - always trying out exploring new paths.  First season does have Angel dancing and the beginning of one of the greatest character arcs in televison - Wesley.  Very well written and acted.

Comcast - I know the evil empire - has all of HBO shows available - every season (except Sex and the City) on demand.  So there are the David Simon shows - "Treme" and "The Wire."  "Deadwood" was also fantastic until David Milch, producer and writer, lost heart towards the end of the 3rd and last season..  I am rewatching "Treme."

Oh good grief he was in New Mexico.

I'm currently watching Jayne on Castle. Squeeeeee he kinda has an Afro. I don't love. But I adore him. I think he's on the last ship with mcsteamy. He does absolutely nothing for me. But Jayne yup I'm front and center. Yes I've looked into con man. I enjoy when you know they truly do like each other and want to work together.

Oh yes Deadwood and the Wire are excellent shows from hbo. Before I was amc's bitch I was hbo ho. They used to have the greatest shows. Oz. sopranos. I watched treme too.

• Love 1

I recently cancelled HBO (trying to save money, you know) but forgot that the main reason I had it in the first place was for HBO GO.  Oh well.

I would like to see Con Man.  I love all of the former cast members of Firefly and will watch most anything one of them is in.

I forgot to mention SportsNight. I so love that show. And if anyone watches Drunk History, but never tried Another Period, maybe give it a shot. It's a little hit or miss, but some of it was really funny. (I'll try anything where a member of The State shows up.)

• Love 2

Oh god there was this show about convicts released from prison to help find dangerous criminals...It was only like 2 or 3 seasons long and it was so good.  I watched it because Jason Behr was in it during the last season and I was a big Roswell nerd back in the day.  Breakout Kings!  That's it.  Loved it.

Oh I forgot about Angel.  Damn I'm going to have to break out some of these old seasons this weekend now!

Never heard of Breakout Kings. Hmmm There was also some website listing shows cancelled too soon and it mentioned something called Party Down, I had never heard of it. CW network. I like Popular on CW. I garnered my love of Christopher Gorham from that show. TOTES ADORBS!

Did you hear about the guy who brutally killed his roommate after binge-watching TWD because he thought the roommate was turning into a zombie? 

Hmmm... Sounds a little extreme for just alcohol. Maybe he got hold of some of Heisenberg's blue ice shit.

He used "kicks, punches, sharp-edged objects and items including a guitar and a microwave oven".

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/26/new-mexico-man-beats-friend-zombie-walking-dead

My main question, though: Did he headshank his roommate???

If not, the county coroner is liable to be in for a nasty surprise....

• Love 2

Hmmm... Sounds a little extreme for just alcohol. Maybe he got hold of some of Heisenberg's blue ice shit.

My main question, though: Did he headshank his roommate???

If not, the county coroner is liable to be in for a nasty surprise....

My first thought was "Meth".  Because I am (far too) intimately aware of that type of paranoia.  But I hate to admit I got a chuckle from the guitar and microwave assault, because I have a deeply disturbed sense of humor.  (Hangs head in shame and slinks away to do some Father PeePants penance)

• Love 1

My first thought was "Meth".  Because I am (far too) intimately aware of that type of paranoia.  But I hate to admit I got a chuckle from the guitar and microwave assault, because I have a deeply disturbed sense of humor.  (Hangs head in shame and slinks away to do some Father PeePants penance)

Ok, had to check. Prewitt, NM is about 100 miles W of Albuquerque, so I think we can discount the possibility of Walt's blue ice being a factor. And with that I'll drop my imaginary BB crossover-into-real-life. :>

• Love 2

Once upon a time I was from new Mexico. Approximately 10 miles from prewit new mexico. Our previous claim to fame was an episode of cops filmed in our town. They got the judge who lived across the street from my family to sign a warrant on the back of the cop car in front of my house. So technically I've been on cops. My bedroom window was in the shot. (He didn't want his own house visible). That crime was a dude set a co worker on fire. So I guess we are prone to extreme crimes.

• Love 1

The outfit for which I work had its HQ operations split between DC and Albuquerque for years - up until year before last, when everything got consolidated back to the Beltway. Over the past 25+ years I've probably spent a cumulative total of about 3 of them in ABQ (5 or 6 week-long trips each year), so I have an odd kind of affection for the town. It's pretty much been a second home to me over the years; enough so that whenever a TV show or movie uses it for locations, I'm eagle-eyeing it to see if any of my favorite spots show up. That was always an extra bonus for me when BrBa was on its run. :)

• Love 1

I'm on my phone because the wireless is down, the dryer quit so laundry is a pain in the ass, one of the kids figured out the stereo and blasts jazz at top volume every so often and a breaker keeps tripping necessitating a trek into the basement. If I get through this day, I am diving head first into a bottle of red wine.

• Love 3

I'm on my phone because the wireless is down, the dryer quit so laundry is a pain in the ass, one of the kids figured out the stereo and blasts jazz at top volume every so often and a breaker keeps tripping necessitating a trek into the basement. If I get through this day, I am diving head first into a bottle of red wine.

It sounds like the only way you're going to get through this day is with the red wine, Irish.   Drink early and often, I always say!  :-)

I think complaint is the default nature of board discussion of most shows because otherwise it's all "Hey, you remember that thing. ... It was awesome."

I think this has so far been a great season of TWD - the first two episodes were among the best they've ever done and the next two were good even if the morgan story was poorly placed in the season. This episode wasn't great but they've had worse.

Most importantly though, JBody, you had better start caring about some ASZhats real quick or else they're gonna kill off a CDB cast member to make you feel sad when it's time to next kill somebody off. So, pick some Alexandrian redshirt (or FPP who can die in the process) and start expressing your love for them right now or else  ...

rab01 are you Gimple?!  I shan't care about the ASZhats any time soon.  Let's just say if they're gonna kill off CDB --which has FAR too many people nowadays-- they can start with FPP.  Time to trim the fat! 

Sorry about the crap day.  I'm likely to dive into the wine without all that aggravation, to be honest.  If I can stay awake long enough after the little darlings go to bed.   

• Love 1

I have a fully booked TV night coming up. We don't have Hulu (legally) in Canada but a local TV station held on to the Mindy rights and the new season starts tonight at 8pm. After that I have Brooklyn 99, The Walking Dead, Into The Badlands and finally Talking Dead. I will be sleepwalking through work tomorrow which, after Friday, may not be such a bad thing.

The TV reviewer in my weekend paper (Globe and Mail) gave Into The Badlands a very iffy review. Wasn't impressed at all. Fortunately experience has taught me that if this guy hates a show I'll probably love it. He did highlight Emily Beecham as The Widow, saying she was an adolescent male fantasy brought to life. This cracked me up because I'm neither adolescent nor male, yet she's the reason I'm checking out the show. In the trailers I've seen she's smokin' hot and kicking ass, and I may adopt her as my role model. As long as I have a stunt double for the vaulting over the table bits because that's not happening!

• Love 1

I watched Serenity in a theater with other Firefly needs. It was loud! And boy howdy do I love Jayne. Adam Baldwin is hilarious.

I will give Badlands A shot. But probly not tonight. I'll dvr and watch later. I went from movie straight to work then got off work 6 am slept 3 hours and went to brunch.

I'm going to give Into The Badlands a try tonight, too - even though my overworked DVR doesn't need another Sunday night show.  I've only seen the trailer they showed on TD, so I am uninitiated to the show's premise and characters.

How was it?  I fell asleep and my DVR is also cranking on Sunday so I didn't set it to record.

• Love 1

OK, ya'll. Can anyone suggest a TV show for me to binge or get caught-up on? Here's my CV:

Shows I LOVE: Slings and Arrows, AD, Parks and Rec, Nu-Who, BB, IT Crowd, 24, It's Always Sunny, and WD :)

Shows I later found and really liked: Better Off Ted, Jericho, Psych

Shows I've considered: Flash, Lost (never watched, scared of how disappointed people seemed to be with it near the end and the actual end), Gotham, Buffy

Shows I tried but didn't finish: Z Nation (only the pilot, but it didn't work for me), OITNB (I like it well enough, but I never really feel like watching it), Black Books

Any suggestions?

Schitt's Creek is kind of like a Canadian Arrested Development or modern Another Period, starring Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara with Chris Elliott. In the US, it's on Pop (née the TV Guide Channel). Eugene's kids Dan & Sarah are in it, too.

How was it?  I fell asleep and my DVR is also cranking on Sunday so I didn't set it to record.

Well, I'll give it some time.  Kung Fu action sequences aren't really my thing, so I'll need to have some character and story development to stick with it.

Yeah, I'm going to give it some time too. I do love martial arts action sequences, so all of that kept my attention...but I'm going to need to see some more "character" in the characters before I can say "I'm in".

edit: Argh! So many typos. I clearly can't type at all today!

Edited by shanndee

I watched badlands, it's ok. I think I need to be a 13 year old boy to fully embrace the acting style of "badly dubbed martial arts movie" where even though it's in english, always was in english they still almost feel like the lips keep moving when the talking stops and they're very detached from whats going on. 

I watched badlands, it's ok. I think I need to be a 13 year old boy to fully embrace the acting style of "badly dubbed martial arts movie" where even though it's in english, always was in english they still almost feel like the lips keep moving when the talking stops and they're very detached from whats going on.

I just assumed TPTB outsourced the audio mixing to Australia to save a buck.

Ok. I'm beginning to fear that I may be patient zero for the ZA.

I was preparing supper 2 nights ago. I reached into the overhead cupboard for some oregano, hit the parchment paper, and it fell. I caught it with my left hand, but of course I caught the section with the paper cutter. Ouch.

A few minutes later I was slicing veggies and I managed to slice myself...in the same area. Double ouch.

Today I am fighting off flu like symptoms...and my hand hurts.

Ok. Perhaps I am exaggerating about being the start of the ZA, but I'm feeling really yucky and that tends to bring out the drama queen in me! :)

• Love 1

Oh good, I wouldn't ever want to endanger the group! So I'll just keep talking to let you know that I'm not dead yet. I'll make sure that everyone knows that my hand really hurts, so if I'm in pain I can't possibly be dead. I am also coughing and sneezing and achy...doesn't that sound like a joy to be around?

Wait, I'm not helping myself at all am I? I'm actually encouraging the stabby stabby. Have I mentioned I hurt my hand? ... please put down that knife....

I forgot to mention SportsNight. I so love that show. 

This week on Scandal, the character Joshua Malina plays DRANK EGGNOG AND LIKED IT.  I just couldn't handle it.

Mundane Sports Night references are still part of my life with Mr. Bad Example:  "There's a fly in here" "There's no fly".... "I need a whisk" "Could you use a fork?"... "I told many, many people..."  "That's all gonna change once I grow a goatee."  

When it turned out a few weeks ago that "Happy Birthday" IS now in the public domain...... !!!!

The first season of Sports Night is one of my all-time favorite shows.  

.....and it is DEFINITELY time for another Sports Night binge.  I toast you, morgankobi, for planting the idea.

• Love 2

This week on Scandal, the character Joshua Malina plays DRANK EGGNOG AND LIKED IT.  I just couldn't handle it.

Mundane Sports Night references are still part of my life with Mr. Bad Example:  "There's a fly in here" "There's no fly".... "I need a whisk" "Could you use a fork?"... "I told many, many people..."  "That's all gonna change once I grow a goatee."  

When it turned out a few weeks ago that "Happy Birthday" IS now in the public domain...... !!!!

The first season of Sports Night is one of my all-time favorite shows.  

.....and it is DEFINITELY time for another Sports Night binge.  I toast you, morgankobi, for planting the idea.

I immediately thought of Sports Night when the "Happy Birthday" story broke.

I'll raise a glass with you, Bad Example.

I took myself to see the movie Spotlight yesterday afternoon and was very impressed with it. I liked all of the journalists and I'm usually allergic to Mark Ruffalo (something about him bugs the crap out of me) I was familiar with the story behind the movie and, having been born and raised Roman Catholic in a small Irish town, I lived it as well. My late father served as an altar boy into his teens and was always open about the fact that his cuteness (I've seen the photos, my Dad was a blonde curly haired cherub) had drawn predators. His father had abandoned their family leaving his 23-year old wife with three kids under 3 and no income. His life rang the same predator bells as some of the characters in Spotlight. He was not molested but we were not raised in a This Never Happened Back Then environment. He refused to let my brothers serve as altar boys and, although he went to Mass when his shift work permitted, he never went to Confession or took Communion. He had some issues with the Church in Ireland which later went public. Priests in Ireland, venerated probably more so as in Boston, had preyed on vulnerable children too.

After the movie, there was a list of places in the US and worldwide that had been victimized by predators. Several were here in Canada and others were in Ireland. I recognized one of the places listed. It was an institution near my home town that housed boys and girls with severe developmental delays and autism. My best friend from high school volunteered there and I'd gone there at least twice to help her out. I still remember some of the kids I met there and now I can't help wondering. You couldn't find kids more vulnerable than those.

• Love 2

I'm glad to hear that Spotlight is a well done movie Irishmaple. I'm nor sure that I will see this in the theatre. I will probably need to stream it at home when it becomes available so I can curse and scream at my TV screen without offending anyone.

Hubby was interested in the trailer, but looked at me, laughed and said, "I was going to suggest we see this, but I guess putting you back on the Catholic-hating road is probably not a good idea." (I was raised Catholic, but left it a long time ago. I've only recently started keeping my...dislike...of the organization to myself to keep peace with family and friends.)

Movies like this make it very hard for me to keep the peace! 

And yes, institutions for children with disabilities (and institutions like the residential schools for Native children here in Canada) were unfortunately easy pickings for abusive people.

• Love 1

I have an Uncle who has been a drug addicted mess his whole life.  He was an alter boy and the day after my off the boat Irish Great Grandma died my Grandma walked into the church and told the priests to go straight to hell, and we were no longer Catholic, so we are pretty sure something happened with him.  God that had to of happened in the late 50's, so I guess people didn't turn things like that in then?  Maybe they would think there was to much of a stigma?  I know when all the controversy broke my Mom was like "Ooooh...."

In other news, I have to cook for 20 some people Thursday and am no where near ready.  My house, which I started redoing is a total mess and I know there is stuff I should have done by now that's not.  And here I am on the boards...lol

• Love 2

Ack! Good luck with that! I can barely make it through a dinner for 2...forget 20!! I hope it goes well!

...and I just noticed that you posted 5 min ago in another thread. How's that prep going? (laughing) Is everything under control or are you just looking for and escape? :)

• Love 1

Thankfully, I don't cook any thanksgiving stuff. Do not like turkey, sweet potatoes or punkin pie. I'm having steak, white potato and making a key lime pie, it's a Margaritaville mix thang, easy peazy. I'm working this year so no big whoop.

We never had big thanksgivings with like 60 family members, I have a friend from college that I went home with and gadzooks soooooooooo much family. My favorite thanksgiving was having elk one year with my friend Marcy. And my least favorite was a college thanksgiving where those of us too poor to travel home were just gonna do a casual dinner and movie that turned into a fiasco because this girl's mom decided to come and she suddenly needed to make it an event. We stole a dining room table in the middle of the night. She claimed she had permission from this friend of a friend, but seriously, 2 o'clock in the morning crossing somebody's lawn with a table? Tell that to the cops. This girl was positively having a meltdown that if her mom didn't get proper linens and real food armageddon was going to break out. Then her mom says "oh wow this is so nice, I just thought it was going to be pizza on the couch". 

*sigh*

I've had just over a week off and I didn't get a single thing done that I planned to do. It didn't help that I was under the weather foe a few days, but the rest was complete laziness.

Oh well. Opening shifts for 2 days then its the weekend. Maybe I'll get something done then?

• Love 1

I bought a new book and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the book or the author. It's called Six of Crows and I found it in the YA section. I've mostly been unimpressed with YA books (I'm the demographic's parent age wise) so I'm hesitant. I loved the title though. I read and enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books and I also liked The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancy (I think that's his name) I did not like the Hunger Games, Heavenly Creatures or Divergent. I'd tell you the author of the Six of Crows but I've forgotten it already! It's Kate and her last name starts with a B. She wrote a previous series that topped best seller lists. Memory wise, I appear to be the demographic's addled grandparent. It's been a long week!