Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Homestead

OMG, OMG, OMG, AA retweeted a tweet I was mentioned in.    I will die a happy woman.    

Here is what got retweeted:    Wanting things no person in history has ever had the right to want is my superpower. [merylinkid],  from Henry VII's account.   Yes, I follow fictional people on twitter.    King Henry was replying to my remark about why he wanted to bother Richard III, his dad had killed him and then married his niece and made her life miserable.   

I read some of the TWoP "Ma, Pa, and the Mime that Raped Sylvia" thread (brilliant title by the way!) before it got taken down. You guys were hilarious!

As much as I love this show, it is always amusing to snark on it.

Discovered this morning as we were unwrapping presents that my 14 year old nephew has become obsessed with LHoTP.  This makes me very happy!  He got several seasons' worth on DVD this morning, and I may or may not be sitting next to him on the couch watching season 6 right now.

I'll report back later with how many minutes it takes him before he gets tired of me spouting random trivia about the show such as "You know the actor who played Willie is the brother to the girl who plays Laura, right?"

• Love 3

Just a heads-up, the first 1802 pages of our esteemed TWOP thread is preserved in the Wayback Machine (Internet archive).

Does anyone have the link to this? I read some of it but would love to read the rest.

• Love 1

Hello everyone! I'm hoping this site will be a new home after the TWOP closure. I just posted something in the Thylvia thread. I think you're hilarious & am so glad to have found you all! Any sort of 70's TV snark, and I'm in!

Yesterday as I was noticing all the courts were closing at noon today due to the expected blizzard, all I could think of was Miss Beadle.   "Well, it was clear when I let them go, who knew it would turn bad so quickly."    Driving back from one of the courts that was open, all I could hope was that I would find an abandoned shed somewhere if I were caught in the blizzard rather than die of exposure.   I also hoped no one would be foolish enough to go out looking for me in a blizzard.

• Love 3

Don't mean to actually 'dis' the show, because I really liked it and thought Michael Landon a phenomenal actor, but I live in Minnesota and I've been mostly everywhere in Minnesota and when you see Laura going up into the mountains... um, not here, not even in the north near Lake Superior. And I think the Ingalls were really in MN for maybe months and not the longevity it seems to give way to in the show.

• Love 1

My Brother and Sister in law had their third child today, a beautiful little girl.  And their son is three today, so they will share a birthday.  Their daughter is six in April.  So our family is of course, excited.  And my parents and I are moving to a new home. It is two miles closer to my jobs, and without as many pine trees in the yard, so not as much yard work to do.

(edited)

I just started reading Alison Arngrim's book 'Confessions of a prairie bitch' and even though I'm only up to chapter two, I love it!  It's really funny!  She hooked me in the introduction when she was talking about how she was so happy to have been Nellie.  "By making me a bitch, you have freed me from the trite, sexist, bourgeois prison of 'likeability'.  Any idiot can be liked.  It takes talent to scare the crap out of people."  Love it!

ETA: I finished the book earlier today.  I really liked it, even the few sad/tragic bits.  I would love to go hear her speak in person.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 4

I've met her a couple of times (even took the Nasty Nellie Tour in Hollywood, which was a hoot).  She is as great as you might think.  So glad she was able to turn the negatives from her childhood into positives.

• Love 1

There's got to be a name for this.  I mean, there's a name for that feeling of pleasure when someone else you dislike experiences a misfortune (schadenfreude).  There's a name for that feeling that you've experienced something else before (déjà vu).  So, there's got to be a name for this.  I figured I'd bring the question here since whenever I mention it to friends, I usually use LHOTP as an example.

I watched LHOTP growing up.  So, Laura/Melissa Gilbert was closer to my age (she was older by just a few years).  Ma was, well, Ma.  She was older.  Karen Grassle was 32 when she LHOTP started.  I watched the whole series.  So, I grew up with Laura, could relate to her, and aged as she did.  Once again, Ma was Ma.  She was waaaaaay older.  

So, now, when I tune it to see reruns of shows like LHOTP, in my mind, Ma is still older.  But I'm going on 50.  Karen Grassle was in her 30's back then.  I'm actually the older one now.  Still, I see her as older and more mature.  Why is that?  Is there a name for that disoriented feeling that you're still younger than the person you're watching on TV because they WERE older at one point even though you're older now.

Does that weirdness even make sense?  

(edited)

I'm not sure if this is appropriate here, but the Kindle version of Alison Arngrim's book "Confessions of Prairie Bitch" is on sale today for $2.99. As BooksRule said, AA had a tough childhood, and I think it's not too far of a stretch to say that playing Nellie made a huge difference in how she managed to cope (AA says as much, herself). The book is funny and snarky and full of background LHotP tidbits. (Like: in the opening credits, Carrie falls down because her shoes are on the wrong feet.) 

eta: I moseyed over to AA's twitter feed to follow up on comments from above, and one of her two "Followers that I know" is.... Barack Obama. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 2

I am a member of the James Best fan club on Facebook,  and some members are part of the stagecoach west club, a joke based on a short lived tv show he made a couple of guest appearances on.   It made me think of you guys.  Sorry I have not posted in awhile.  I went to look at the old Stagecoach board for good memories,  and saw it  is gone.  

I have AA's book on my kindle. Great interesting book. 

• Love 1
On 1/10/2017 at 12:41 PM, MsWausau said:

And I think the Ingalls were really in MN for maybe months and not the longevity it seems to give way to in the show.

In the tv series, it is portrayed as them having lived most of their lives in Walnut Grove. But I seem to recall coming across the real Ingalls family time line, and it was closer to around 4 1/2 years total, for both times that they lived in Walnut Grove. Yep, they actually lived there twice, as well as Pepin Wisconsin, which they moved back to after leaving Kansas. This was not mentioned in the books.

Here’s the breakdown:

February 1874 – The Ingalls family settles near Walnut Grove, Minnesota, and spends their first year there living in a dugout as described in On the Banks of Plum Creek. Charles Ingalls then builds the family a house on this farm. (Exact date not known.)

7/7/1876 – The Ingalls Family sells the Plum Creek Farm and leaves Walnut Grove.

August-September 1877-The Ingalls family leaves Iowa and returns to Walnut Grove, Minnesota in the late summer, early fall 1877. (Exact date not known.)

9/9/1879 – Caroline and the girls arrive by train in Dakota Territory; Charles works for the Chicago and North Western Railway. The family spends the winter in the Surveyor’s House near Silver Lake.

http://littlehouseontheprairie.com/history-timeline-of-laura-ingalls-wilder/

Now in between the dates of 1874 and 1877, Baby Freddie was born and died (1876) and the Ingalls stayed with family back east, and also lived a year in Burr Oak Iowa, before returning to Minnesota.

It’s kind of interesting the way that ML included real life events that were never included in the books, and vice versa. Baby Freddie was featured in the TV series, but was never mentioned in the books, nor was the Burr Oak Iowa move. But I suspect that the episodes that centered around the move to Winoka in the tv series, were based on the real life Ingalls family’s Burr Oak move. Though left out of the television series were many of the Ingalls families real life friends.

Edited by wanton87
  • Love 3