Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Homestead

(edited)

I'm here, I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!

So I was down in Puerto Rico on vacation.  VERRRRRRY long wagon ride.  Did not make the dog swim.  Met some people from Minnesota.  I asked if she had been to Walnut Grove and she said she had.  I asked about the Minnesota mountains, and I guess they DO have what qualifies (to her at least) as mountains.  People ski on them and everything.  I did not ask if she had ever seen a schlong of healing.

And I think the subtitle for this thread should be "I'm here! I'm here! I'm here!"

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 3

I'm trying to read through the TWoP thread before it disappears; did it used to be longer? Anyway I'm grateful for another place to talk about MY Doc Baker and oh, was there anyone else on that show? I, too, am old and grew up with this show. I know it started on Wednesdays but I remember my mother sitting down in front of it every Monday night with a glass of wine and a box of kleenex. 

• Love 1

When I heard TWOP was shutting down my first thought was literally "No! All the amazing snark at the Little House thread!". After fighting my desire to TARA, I decided I had to hop the stagecoach here to Previously TV. I didn't post that much on TWOP, but I literally went through a phase where that thread was my reading material in my free time, so I'm glad to see people congregating over here!

I'm trying to read through the TWoP thread before it disappears; did it used to be longer?

Do they allow you the option of downloading it to your hard drive? ( View it in print mode, then copy it to wherever you want.)

(after poking around a bit) aaand no.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe

It's good to have everyone here. And it is good to have separate thread topics to talk about different topics, especially one for small talk. It is so much fun seeing y'all talk.

Eta: My thanks to those who started these boards. Many appreciate it. 

Edited by halfpint ingals

Okay, ya'll, confession time. I was a very long-time lurker on TWOP, but never actually signed up. One of the forums I loved reading was "Little House on the Prairie: Pa, Ma and the Mime that Raped Sylvia". It was so damn snarky!. It was great because for years I grew up sneering at "Little House on the Prairie" for being this white-bread-bland wholesome shows from a bygone era (I was born in 1991, so I didn't grow up watching this series when it was new).. Little did I know how truly horrific and bizarre the show could get. I think one of my first episodes was "May We Bake Them Brown". I had already read about it on the old TWOP forum, and was still astonished by what was happening. The second episode I ever saw was "Baby In A Bottle", in which Laura finds an abandoned baby, and then she and her family try to help the baby's mom escape from her crazy religious dad...who tries to burn down the house. Ah, truly wholesome fun for the whole family.

Anyway, that's my little introductory spiel. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm here!I'm here!I'mhere!

I always thought "Ma, Pa and the Mime that Raped Sylvia" was pretty much the most perfect witty thread title I'd ever seen.  Still do.  I"d love to use it as the subtitle of one of the threads here, as a memorial of sorts, but not sure if I can just copy it wholesale.  Maybe if we modified it slightly?

(edited)

Honestly, that subtitle was what had initially drawn me into the forum (and the show) itself. It was so perfect, clever and really illustrated how weird and surreal "Little House on the Prairie" was, or at least became over the years. I'm not sure how it can be modified or shortened without losing its original wittiness. "Sylvia" seems to be a really iconic episode for all the wrong reasons, especially on the old forums. I think she still needs to be in the subtitle somehow, just to retain what was lost on TWOP.

I'm still new on previously.TV, so maybe somebody with more expertise can create a sub-forum that would talk about the show's darkest/most bizarre moments, and Sylvia's plight can be the title. Maybe "The Mime That Raped Thylvia: Darkest Moments" or whatever.

Edited by geekamonggeeks
Honestly, that subtitle was what had initially drawn me into the forum (and the show) itself. It was so perfect

When I first came across the LHotP thread on TWoP, I was like, "Ma, Pa, and the whatwhatWHAT?!?"

I subscribed to this site this morning (I was--and still am--in mourning for that other place), but I'm glad I did.  I did put what little life I have on hold for a few days so I could save some of my favorite threads.  The LHOTP thread was one of them (all 1804 plus pages of it!).  I wish I could have saved more, but I'm looking forward to creating some new nuggets of wisdom and snark with all of you in the (hopefully) years to come!

Walnut Grove is no more, so let's sing 'Onward Christian Soldiers' and forge on!

• Love 1

I subscribed to this site this morning (I was--and still am--in mourning for that other place), but I'm glad I did.  I did put what little life I have on hold for a few days so I could save some of my favorite threads.  The LHOTP thread was one of them (all 1804 plus pages of it!).  I wish I could have saved more, but I'm looking forward to creating some new nuggets of wisdom and snark with all of you in the (hopefully) years to come!

Walnut Grove is no more, so let's sing 'Onward Christian Soldiers' and forge on!

I'd like to think that Television Without Pity was blown up in a blaze of glory while everybody moved forward singing "Bringing in the Sheep". I never managed to read all 1804 pages of the last forum, but I got quite far. It was an interesting feat.

• Love 1

I'd like to think that Television Without Pity was blown up in a blaze of glory while everybody moved forward singing "Bringing in the Sheep". I never managed to read all 1804 pages of the last forum, but I got quite far. It was an interesting feat.

I used to think it was "Bringing In The Sheets," as in laundry.  Lord knows there was enough of that to do on the prairie, especially without benefit of a Maytag.

• Love 1

I'm happy to hear that the forum was saved.  I saved some of my favorites, but never thought about saving to the Wayback Machine (duh!).  I just checked, and many of the threads that I wasn't able to get to are there.  Yay!  I see lots of hours of reading ahead (I hated seeing the forums go because I wouldn't able to post anymore, but the worse part was not being able to go back an read them).

On topic,  I want to start watching the episodes (I think I get it on two channels right now) and making a list of the anachronisms.  A list may already exist, but I like making lists and that would be a fun one.  And, it's been a long time since I watched the show from the very beginning.

Finally, have any of you read Alison Arngrim's book?  ('Confessions of a prairie bitch', I think it's called)  I need to get a copy, I've heard it's really good.

That's great that the forums were saved. I've never heard of the Wayback Machine, so I hope that most if not all of the TWOP forums have been preserved there. I also hope that this doesn't prevent more people from posting on Previously.TV. I really like coming here, especially since I didn't think about signing up to the old forums until it was too late.

I just checked there, and I did find a couple that I clicked on weren't there, but many others that I never got a chance to re-read (or read at all) are there (including Buffy, Semi-Homemade, and The Waltons--whew, that's a weird combination, isn't it?).  I'm a happy camper this morning.  I'm just getting involved here, but I look forward to a lot of posting (and reading) on Previously.  I think that it'll be a good time for all.

As soon as I catch up on a couple of projects around the house and at work, I want to catch up on some of reading.  I'll add Alison Arngrim's book to the list.

AA's book was fantastic! I read it shorting after it came out. (I even bought it in hardcover, and I never buy anything in hardcover). The LH dish was fun, and what a strong, awesome AA is really came through. If you read it, you won't regret it.

I also hope the forums on the Wayback Machine won't stop people from posting here. I don't think they will. It's just nice to know that at least some of the content is preserved somewhere that people can access it, if they want to. I made a grand total of 3 posts at the old forum. I've already beat that total here! Something about this site is just so comfortable and friendly.

Just wanted to introduce myself as a former longtime lurker on TwoP who got much amusement out of the snark over there. I grew up reading the Little House books (my grandma gave my sister and me one of the books for each birthday and Christmas gift until we had the whole set, plus the Rose books), but I never saw the TV show other than the pilot, which we had on VHS and I loved. Then I went to university and my roommate turned out to be a huge fan. She owned all the seasons, and we would trade off watching episodes of Road to Avonlea (the "olden days" show I did grow up watching) and Little House. 

Since I didn't have a nostalgic attachment to the show, I'm afraid I had more fun snarking on the show than genuinely investing in the action unfolding onscreen the way my roommate did. This was only fueled by my discovery of the Little House thread over at TwoP, where my reaction to the subtitle was something the lines of, "Say what?!" I certainly didn't remember any mime rape from the books, so I had to read on to find out what that was all about. Little did I know what lay in store for me in that thread...so thank you for all the laughs, and for carrying on at a new home here at Previously! I don't know how often I'll post (I still haven't seen much of the show), but I will continue to enjoy your discussions of all things LIW and of course, the snark. :)

Wow, that was longer than I intended it to be. Thanks for indulging my lengthy introduction!

• Love 1

AA's book is really good. Being Nellie made her such a strong person, and she had to be to get through some of the things she went through. I really recommend it for both AA's story and of course all the behind-the-scenes LHoP stuff. 

Hey everyone! I love this forum so much. Laura and I actually share the same birthday but we're 104 years apart which is cool, however, after reading more about her life and how she felt politically I am less and less of a fan of her which is sad. Has anyone else here ever seen Alison Arngrim perform? She is so fabulous and funny on stage and really cool, gracious and kind when you meet her. I've also read her really insightful and hilarious autobiography. I heart Alison so much.

Maherjunkie- Here are a few articles about her politics and those of her daughter Rose who hated the Roosevelts (FDR and Eleanor).

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/08/09/little-libertarians-prairie-little-libertarians-prairie/DrtramwsrcrdTTIFvdzkOO/story.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111992555

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/08/10/wilder-women

From what others have said in the Rewriting history thread, Laura and later Rose's political leanings were defined by how Charles and his father lived their lives. They hated government help until they needed it (see Mary's blind school funding) and ran from the tax collectors. It's interesting that despite the many ways our ancestors tried to hide the unpleasant parts of their lives or how they felt about things nothing remains hidden forever and we are learning more and more about the Ingalls as time goes on. Also, its interesting to note that we are talking about this now. I would imagine that these things were kept under wraps while Michael Landon was alive so his TV show wouldn't be affected. Landon was known to be a conservative politically so this doesn't surprise me.

Another refugee from TwoP, hello charlieboo! The mime that raped Sylvia thread was seriously my home for a couple of years. Met people, went on a pilgrimage to Laura's house in Missouri. I think LHotP prepared me and shaped me into the twisted soul who loves Walking Dead, Dexter, Oz, Deadwood...you name it, if it's twisted, I'm there. All from this wholesome little show with good christian values...and fried babies...and mime rapists...and flaming wagons flying down hills killing parents in front of their childrens eyes!

• Love 1

Everyone's snarky enthusiasm for this show makes me want to revisit the whole series. Having grown up in a community full of white conservatives with strong family values (well, the appearances of them anyway), this show was exceptionally popular among the adults I knew when I was growing up. They felt it showed how great America was back then before it went to hell in a handbasket. Despite the debilitating and deadly diseases, abject poverty and racism, these characters were happy to be living the in greatest country in history unlike us ungrateful kids. 

The series was so popular in my hometown that the city somehow got enough money to have Melissa Sue Anderson appear in our annual parade. I remember being absolutely stunned by how beautiful she was and how she obviously wanted the ordeal to be over as soon as possible. She was completely different from our last parade celebrity, Leonard Nimoy. He shook so many hands and signed so many autographs that the parade kept stopping for him to get back on his float. That guy loved his fans!

I just got the Kindle version of "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" and can't wait to start it. 

Being a small town of 30,000, we all heard about how she behaved off the float. Nothing terrible, just that she went straight to her hotel room and never showed her face again. We heard that she looked completely exhausted in her limo and she fell asleep in the airport. We felt sorry for her but glad that she was able to be in our parade.

We had been spoiled by Nimoy who had looked like he would have rather run during the whole parade shaking hands than sit on a stupid float. He appeared in our park the next day and it nearly turned into a riot. This was during a low point in his career (before Body Snatchers and the Star Trek Movie) but he was big time to us. I clearly remember he left in the passenger side of a pickup truck still waving at everyone.

Today is Melissa Sue Anderson's birthday!

I just stopped by here and saw your recent post.  I recently saw Melissa Gilbert on a Where are they on OWN.  She seemed quite happy living with her new husband in Michigan!  I've read some things about her actor husband. I used to love his old show Thirty Something.  I hope she's really happy.