Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Bus

• Start Topic

Can’t think of a better place to post this ...

So, last night I had a dream that I was being lectured by Dr. Radcliffe. Which is all well and good, I could listen to John Hannah lecture me on the contents of the phone book. 

I was a bit surprised that he chose to lecture me in my dream about the proper way to cook dried mushrooms in a pressure cooker though ...

5 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

The Army actually still issues bayonets for the M-4's that they currently use.  They rarely use them nowadays but that is more due to the type of warfare that the military engages in.  It is no longer really close combat like it used to be.  The last officially recognized US Army bayonet charge was during Vietnam. 

Back when I was in as a result of a fight between soldiers and a First Sergeant being badly injured our Brigade Commander ordered all knives collected.  Now knives are useful tools in the field and most of us had pocket knives, so we started carrying those first multi tools with a blade around. The next Brigade Commander came in and made us all go through bayonet training and carry them in the field. Even though most of us were tank crewmen and were assigned a pistol and in half the cases a grease gun without a bayonet attachment. In the end the bayonet for the M16 was just the assigned field knife. In a pinch the "fix bayonets" order was to say there would be no stopping as the infantry assaults through an objective.

With the newer battle harness that soldiers keep their carbines on I would think you would let go of the rifle instead of trying to use it as a club and spear combo that it was from the musket era through the 20th century.