Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their chemistry was sizzling, and they had such awesome moments... remember the one at the end of That Old Gang Of Mine? :))))

That's one of my favorites too. :) Also I'm not sure what episode it was, but there was a scene where they're standing together at the window, the snow is falling, and she has her head on his shoulder. Loved that.

My first fandom that I actually participated in (not just lurked) was Stargate Atlantis. I didn't really have a ship there though, although I did have a NOTP - lol. Kind of like Arrow that way I suppose.

I watched Roswell on Hulu - well, seasons one and two anyway. I read about season three and it seemed like it changed a lot so I only watched bits and pieces. Brendan Fehr was on Night Shift this summer though, and I was reminded of why Michael was my favorite character on the show.

Edited by Starfish35

umm I would say my first favorite couple was Kelly and Brandon on BH90210, but it wasn't an active shipping they just felt more right to me than Kelly and Dylan (and i am forever mad she ended with Dylan or something). I also enjoyed Lois and Clark- that was a good show (for its genre at the time), and Chris and Rita on Silk Stalking (i may have cheered a bit when they finally kissed- mainly cause it was a really hot scene)

But I don't consider any of those my first real "ship", that place belongs to Doug and Carol from ER. I never got as deeply into a couple as i did with these two.

Don't know if it was the first couple I ever shipped, but Felicity and Ben.  Then Felicity/Noel.  Then back to Felicity/Ben again.  Joey/Pacey along with Liz/Max and Michael/Maria from Roswell.  The WB had some really great shows when I was younger.  Does anyone remember Jack & Jill on The WB?  I wish that they would release that one on DVD...I never got to see what happened!

• Love 1

Joey/Pacey would probably be my second ship after Buffy/Angel. I wasn't really a shipper of anyone on Roswell, I didn't really like Liz all that much. I guess Jack/Sam from Stargate should be on list as well, despite the 16 year age difference between them, I just loved them together. 

I didn't start watching Farscape until few years ago, because friends said I'd like if I liked Stargate. I did, I watched all the seasons and the Peacekeeper Wars and I loved John/Aeryn. 

Then of course LoVe from Veronica Mars. Those two are electric on screen together. Even though I think Logan is all kinds of wrong for Veronica, their chemistry when they are in a room together is undeniable. 

Here's where I show my age.  My first active ship started in 1983 with the second season of Remington Steele. (Remington Steele / Laura Holt)  I was 9.  I remember crying and throwing a tantrum when one night for some random reason my parents decided I should go to bed that Tuesday night BEFORE 9 o'clock.  They only did that once, lol.  Normally I was a very easy going kid.

After each episode I would go over all the "moments" in my head reliving them or adding something to them that made them even better.  I wisely did not share my obsession, really not out of wisdom but more so that I didn't want to share, lol.  I preferred watching it on my little black and white 9" TV in my room versus the big 19" color set  with the family.  When  mine broke I even remember sneaking away to watch it on the three inch portable. 

I caught the series in reruns at the end of high school and was surprised at how well it holds up. Laura Holt would still make a great role model and there has never been anyone as charismatic as Pierce Brosnan flirting with the camera. 

Technically Remington Steele was also my first foray into fandom because once they invented the internet (Lol) it is the first thing I looked up at the local library.  It's also when I discovered fan fiction (though not the actual name for it until much later)  I was ecstatic!  Sadly I also found out not everyone writing fan fiction should be. 

Gilmore Girls and my love for Luke and Lorelai  is my first time in actual forums (hello TWoP!) but I was just head over heels for Lois & Clark as well.  That was the show were I started recording it even if I planned on watching it live.  I was  a much nicer person to be around when I wasn't silently freaking out about being talked to while MY SHOW was on. After Gilmore Girls I hit Smallville and shipped the hell out of Clark and Chloe.  My other big show was Alias (Sydney and Vaughn)  Still haven't watched most of the final season.  Then Veronica Mars (Veronica and Logan)  I think waiting ten years was worth it. 

In the final two seasons of Stargate SG-1 I fell totally for Daniel and Vala which makes sense to me since essentially I was repeating my love for the con artist and the stable, sensible one the con artist changes their life for.  Kinda the same dynamic on Castle and to an extent Bones. 

I've loved Dr. Who since I was a kid too (it's obvious now that I watched too much television as a child).  Originally it was just so I could stay up late on Friday and Sat like my older brother  since Dr. Who never started before 10 pm on our local PBS station.  I've found an appreciation for all the incarnations.  I used to say that number 4 (Tom Baker -long scarf guy) was the best but that my favorite was number 5 (Peter Davidson - cute blond guy - I shipped him and Teagan in that series - he fights with her like no one else - like she was his peer instead of some nothing bit of an earthling and always left her in charge despite her complete lack of knowledge about anything.)

Now I have to say best and favorite Doctor is David Tennant.  I never really worried about him and Rose as a couple until she was gone and then I was sucked in by Tennant's grief at her absence.  I think the show handled that resolution in a pretty great way.  Poor Martha suffered in the meantime.  Her crush was painful.  That's probably why I ADORED Donna.  So happy to be in the company of like minded people.  I usually have trouble finding Donna supporters.  I bawled over her ending.   

I fell for Smith in his first episode, not as hard as Tennant but I still loved him and little Amelia.  They had such a sweet relationship and I always say it as him treating her and seeing her as that little redheaded girl even right up to when he had to leave her behind.  I like Clara but yeah, there has been something rushed about her story and something still feels missing.  River and the Doctor are great together, if more than a little tragic. 

It's funny, I tend to forget where Tennant and Smith start and end.  I have to go by the companions or I get them mixed up.  I remember loving 9 at the time, but I have a hard time rewatching him for some reason. 

I have great faith in the new guy.  He's like old school Dr. Who. In the end, they are all the same guy.  I think that's what I loved about Matt Smith, he was the youngest but in many ways he played the character the oldest.  (Well except for the original Dr. Crankypants - William Harnell..  Hard to believe he and Peter Capaldi were the same age.)    

Edited by BkWurm1

Then of course LoVe from Veronica Mars. Those two are electric on screen together. Even though I think Logan is all kinds of wrong for Veronica, their chemistry when they are in a room together is undeniable. 

I shipped them so hard that I didn't even care if they were romantically involved. I just wanted them in the same orbit, sharing scenes, especially during the first half of S2 when I thought I might shoot myself if I had to watch one more boring Veronica/Duncan scene. 

• Love 1

Most of my other ships have been mentioned already. Felicity/Ben, Max/Liz,Maria/Micheal,Buffy/Angel, Lois/Clark and Joey/Pacey. I also shipped  Ryan/Taylor and Seth/Summer The O.C., Ross and Rachel (I'm still bitter), Jack/Kate Lost, David/Darlene Roseanne and Nathan/Audrey Haven.

• Love 1
I shipped them so hard that I didn't even care if they were romantically involved. I just wanted them in the same orbit, sharing scenes, especially during the first half of S2 when I thought I might shoot myself if I had to watch one more boring Veronica/Duncan scene.

That was always a huge issue that show had with their attempt at triangles. When Veronica and Logan were in a room together no one else existed, so of course anyone else they paired them up with would be boring compared to that. 

I also shipped Mal/Inara from Firefly and Teyla/Ronan from Stargate Atlantis.

I hate Nathan from Haven and I don't even know why. I hope Mara's around to stay, the show needed something different to happen. She was trapped for decades in her own body while other people were able to use it. For me that is a legit excuse to be angry and go crazy. 

Edited by Sakura12

I'll be perfectly honest. It was never something I was looking for, so the the first time shipping became a subject of interest for me is Xena, even if Xena and Gabrielle were never officially an onscreen couple.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

even if Xena and Gabrielle were never officially an onscreen couple.

Never let the lack of an actual couple stop you from shipping! My OTP is Chloe Sullivan and Dean Winchester. They don't even exist on the same show, but did that stop me!  :D 

ETA: I may, or may not, have a problem and should not be used as an example, only a warning for others.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 1

The first TV couple I ever shipped was Mulder and Scully from The X-Files.  Since then, I've shipped many TV couples.  Bit of trivia:

The term originated in the X-Files fandom (1993), where viewers who wanted to see a romantic relationship between Fox Mulder and Dana Scully were dubbed "relationshippers," or "shippers."

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Shipping

The term "Shipping" — which ostensibly derives from "Relationship" (though it might as well be "Worship") — was originally coined by fans of The X-Files, who were divided between "relationshippers" pushing for romance and "noromos" who would rather have No Hugging and No Kissing. The phenomenon itself, however, was ubiquitous in practically every fandom long before.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Shipping

Edited by tv echo

Dave Batista from Guardians of the Galaxy took the Ice Bucket challenge to the next level by sitting in a bathtub full of ice, then dunked his head underwater, then got a bucket of ice water dumped on his head. 

• Love 2

CURE ALL THE DISEASES! CURE 'EM ALL!!!

Omfg I love Grant Gustin so much :p Not as much as Chris Pratt though. 

Chris is just an angel okay? Can we all agree on that???

CAN EVERYONE PLS DO ME A FAVOR AND WATCH PARKS AND REC :p

• Love 1

If you like Parks and Rec, you might like Enlisted over on Fox (there's only 13 episodes, though, since it was cancelled).  I find the humor in both kinda similar, so I think both are hilarious.  @wonderwall, you have seen Chris Pratt in Everwood, right?  His character is awesome there, too (well, I don't remember much of him in the first few seasons, but his storyline gets interesting when Hannah shows up in season 3). 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

@SonofaBiscuit, I have never heard of Everwood! Is it worth a shot???:)

And oof, that's a step down for Justin Hartley :/ 

Yes, I really liked Everwood.  It has some great actors in it...Treat Williams, Gregory Smith, Emily VanCamp, Tom Amandes, and Chris Pratt, of course.  If you like shipping couples, you might ship Bright and Hannah (played by Chris Pratt and Sara Drew).  Hannah is a nerdy girl who develops a crush on Bright, but he is sort of a dumb jock.  Bright and Hannah become friends and then...well...some good stuff happens!  :)  You can get all four seasons relatively cheap on Amazon right now, so I recommend it.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I don't think it's a step down for Hartley.  They probably threw money at him and it's steady work Jensen Ackles has said he'd do soaps again if it was the right part and was creatively satisfying. I'm sure the steady paycheck doesn't hurt either.  The good thing about soaps is that they can get out of those contracts and be written out of storylines and back in again pretty easily if the actors want to take on other roles.  

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

That's one of my favorites too. :) Also I'm not sure what episode it was, but there was a scene where they're standing together at the window, the snow is falling, and she has her head on his shoulder. Loved that.

Ah yes, Season's Greedings, the one with the Atomic Space Rats :D :D Another one of my favorites. "Lois is in trouble, Lois is in trouble..." :D :D

And now I have the uncontrollable urge to grab my dvds and start a full rewatch-marathon :) :)

• Love 2

Ah yes. "Space Rats!" Unfortunately I only have the first season on DVD, but a rewatch would be fun. I think the first two seasons were the best. Too bad it's not available streaming anywhere, but WB keeps their stuff pretty locked down. I think Arrow's only available because of the CW's agreement with Netflix.

Edited by Starfish35

CURE ALL THE DISEASES! CURE 'EM ALL!!!

Omfg I love Grant Gustin so much :p Not as much as Chris Pratt though. 

Chris is just an angel okay? Can we all agree on that???

CAN EVERYONE PLS DO ME A FAVOR AND WATCH PARKS AND REC :p

*Breaks mouse trying to repeatedly thumbs up*

And oof, that's a step down for Justin Hartley :/ 

Wasn't his last job playing the not-worthy love interest on Emily Owens MD?

The Young & the Restless is a pretty important soap.  One year I was TAing a counselling course and running the practicum (hands-on stuff) and the tutorial time overlapped the Y&R.  I had to go to the department to get the time changed and a new room because students were ditching the tutorial to watch the soap.

Wasn't his last job playing the not-worthy love interest on Emily Owens MD?

He is currently on Mistresses, which is definitely a step down.  I watch the show, but it is truly awful.  He plays a plastic surgeon who has a women's shoe fetish, I kid you not.  He has an entire room full of women's shoes, and his new girlfriend got to choose a pair to wear.  Ick.

I stopped watching Suits after the first season. Almost everything about it felt like your standard lawyer show, and I think literally every case of the season was solved in a neat bow, with Harvey getting the inspiration to win because of something someone else said in a conversation that usually had nothing to do with the case. Not enough Gina Torres, either.

Suits stopped being a generic legal show.  After the first season they use Gina Torres much, much better.  She IS the BOSS.    The cases become  secondary to the characters and the scheming.  Mike's secret somehow remains a relevant part of the story.  It's a minefield of office politics and loyalty and betrayal in ways I could never have imagined.  The summer finale just happened and the character who takes it and takes it and screws up and loses and you hate then you love and then you pity and then want to slap (repeat and rinse)  just walked in and erupted all over the place and it was glorious!!  This show sneaks up on you .  If it held any appeal before it seemed to turn formulaic, give it another chance. 

Every time I see Jessica (Gina Torres) on Suits, I think "that's what Laurel should be."  (Also her clothes are way better.)

I do hate how much they dumped on that character[ BkWurm1 was talking] about this year.  Great stuff for the actor who hit it out of the park, but too much for me.

• Love 1

Great stuff for the actor who hit it out of the park, but too much for me.

It isn't the easiest show to watch, I agree but usually there is a great payoff to bringing the characters practically to their knees before they arise. 

Every time I see Jessica (Gina Torres) on Suits, I think "that's what Laurel should be."  (Also her clothes are way better.)

I would believe Jessica as a secret crime fighter. Hell,  I would believe Gina Torres as a secret crime fighter.    Woman has presence. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I loved the Chris Evans ice bucket challenge, he's a bit of a dork...it's cute. The best part was the little kid running up at the end and dumping the last pail on him after he was already soaked.

Thanks for the Luke Mitchell link, passed it on to a friend who loves him...never knew he was an Ausi

• Love 1
This new format is messing with my mind.

Oh good, it's not just me. I thought my computer was having fits.

That Benedict IBC was the funniest thing I've watched in a while.

• Love 1