Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I've never seen one with the cast insulting Topher. 

Veronica Mars had such a tiny budget that they probably would've had to get rid of someone if they weren't keeping Duncan around.

Dick. He added little, his part in Veronica's not-quite rape was clearly overlooked in order for him to be liked. (As was Logan's actually)

Edited by wingster55
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I hadn't thought about any of this in forever, but it was a whole thing going on. I'm literally searching through old emails here. Hee. They reduced Dunn's episode count for S2 [from 16 in S1 to 12 in S2], and upped JDoh's to full 22 episodes. The WB mandated that, actually, because they loved Logan, and wanted more Veronica/Logan stuff on the show. It was only after they gave out the contracts that they decided they wanted Dunn written out.

His 12 episodes were supposed to be scattered through S2 , but once the order came to get rid of Duncan, RT decided to have him in 11 straight episodes, and save his last one for the finale. I have no idea if the original plan was for Duncan to come back to Neptune in the S2 finale, but I know some people who were certain [and had insider info] they were gonna pull a gotcha! and have V/D reunite in 222. So his exit as a fugitive in 211 was supposed to be a ~going out with a bang~ thing for him. RT really loved Duncan even if the audience was mostly bored by him, but anyway, it was supposed to be a hero send-off.

And then the Austin VMars event thing happened, and they had an advance screening of his last episode, with Rob Thomas, KBell, JDoh, and the dude who played Lamb present. The audience booed Duncan every time he showed up on screen, and booed the episode after it ended. Spoilers spread online like crazy, and this was already a show with a tiny audience -- that episode had the lowest rating they had so far, and it was like a 50% loss from the previous episode, or something. Which nixed the idea of reuniting V/D, and made the WB push for Veronica/Logan even more.

I can understand Rob Thomas being disappointed by the reception of the character since he had a vision he had to change. That can't be easy for a writer. But honestly, casting is key for leads in a TV show. If you mess that up, then it may not matter what vision you had for the characters, and you have to be flexible in a TV series. The guy playing Duncan just seems like a miscast regardless of what you think of his acting ability. If he'd been working out, I doubt the Logan/Veronica thing would have taken off like it did. I can barely remember most of his story tbh - but I do remember rolling my eyes at his acting in his 'angry Duncan' scenes lol. I'd even say CH did a better job with angry Roy, and I was sooo not a fan of that.

I think Rob Thomas still lives in Austin? Hee.

While I would have died of embarrassment if I were at that event, I tend to think harsh reactions from fans are better than apathy. Boos are never ever pleasant, but if there's a disconnect from what the creators think and what the audience sees, I'd rather creative types become aware of that sooner rather than later. Not every character or storyline works on tv, and sometimes writers have blind spots, understandably. Of course they don't want any part of their work to be rejected. But they're dealing with an open-ended kind of storytelling that depends on audience reaction to survive.

I believe the really smart showrunners are the ones who find the spots where criticism and praise intersect amidst network notes, professional critics, and fandom. In that order of importance. Because it's when those three types of feedback intersect that you know something is either going terribly wrong, or working beautifully.

• Love 3
can understand Rob Thomas being disappointed by the reception of the character since he had a vision he had to change. That can't be easy for a writer. But honestly, casting is key for leads in a TV show. If you mess that up, then it may not matter what vision you had for the characters, and you have to be flexible in a TV series. The guy playing Duncan just seems like a miscast regardless of what you think of his acting ability. If he'd been working out, I doubt the Logan/Veronica thing would have taken off like it did.

I'm not so sure.  Logan made you notice him  and even when you were hating him, you loved him and he was just about the only peer in the cast that could keep up with VM.  It took very little to make him sympathetic.  Rob Thomas might have not planned for Logan but everything he's said seems to say he was very happy to have him.  The tricky thing was that Logan was legitimately messed up and he had really good reason to be. The show would have needed IMO another 2-3 years minimum before he'd have been functional in a relationship. Instead we got a 9 year time jump.  That worked too.  ;)

Crichton and Aeryn were a fun couple. When Ben and Claudia both came to Stargate later, the showrunners seemed to go out of their way to have Mitchell (Browder) and Vala (Black) not have too many scenes alone together. I guess because they didn't want their chemistry to override the relationship they were determined to start between Vala and Daniel.

Even more than the chemistry thing, Browder had just been hired to be a new full time cast member.  How would viewers ever separate him from the show he just was on when they also brought on his old co-star when he was introduced? 

In the second season when Vala became a regular, they got a lot more scenes together.  I have to give the actors credit, on Farscape I was all for them as a couple but on Stargate, he was more of a teacher and brother.  It didn't hurt that Claudia Black and MIchael Shanks had mad, mad, chemistry.  He actually (repeatedly) credits her with bringing back his love of acting. 

I still ship Daniel and Vala hard.  On the surface, they are great opposites attract characters, but what I loved about them is beneath the surface they had a great deal in common.  

Of course there were a number of people who were very vocal in their dislike of the character/pairing usually siting all the surface stuff without seeing the underlying depth and anticipated growth.  I could see it so perfectly laid out but so many just saw annoying. 

Edited for heartbreak

Damn.

To be honest, I was worried about the guy when his show didn't get picked up for a second season.   

:(

Edited by BkWurm1
Logan made you notice him  and even when you were hating him, you loved him and he was just about the only peer in the cast that could keep up with VM.

I find that the characters who are more humorous usually are more liked than the withdrawn characters. Logan had one liners (as did Weevil) so he was a favorite from day one.

Also I'd say Keith was just as smart as Veronica. 

I think Rob Thomas still lives in Austin? Hee.

While I would have died of embarrassment if I were at that event, I tend to think harsh reactions from fans are better than apathy. Boos are never ever pleasant, but if there's a disconnect from what the creators think and what the audience sees, I'd rather creative types become aware of that sooner rather than later. Not every character or storyline works on tv, and sometimes writers have blind spots, understandably. Of course they don't want any part of their work to be rejected. But they're dealing with an open-ended kind of storytelling that depends on audience reaction to survive.

I believe the really smart showrunners are the ones who find the spots where criticism and praise intersect amidst network notes, professional critics, and fandom. In that order of importance. Because it's when those three types of feedback intersect that you know something is either going terribly wrong, or working beautifully.

These are all very good points. It makes me wonder if any past shows that were cancelled early might have been able to benefit from the immediate audience reaction show runners get now via professional critics posting online reviews and via Twitter feeds. Not that I think producers should change their story whichever way the wind blows - I don't. But I see nothing wrong with allowing critic and majority fan reaction to guide them at times in the same way that network notes guide them. I know online opinion is only one part of the viewing audience, but it can be viewed in the same way that polling is. A majority online opinion probably reflects what many of the offline viewers think as well. I know Fox sends out surveys to viewers and some are quite lengthy. They've asked me about what I watch on other networks. One of the surveys even mentioned Arrow and Grimm when they asked me about how often I watched sci fi/genre shows. They sent me a really detailed survey about The Following last year, including asking me to rank characters I liked and didn't like and why. I told them I might stop watching in S2 (and then I did, so I was right.) They sent one out about Fringe when that show was still on the air. I get way too many about reality TV and I take every opportunity to tell them I hate reality TV lol.

I've never followed any show fandoms as closely as I'm following Arrow now. I used to be pretty involved in the Bones fandom and then David Boreanaz's cheating scandal happened and ugh - I really wished I hadn't heard about it. I went offline fast so I could hear as little as possible tbh.

ETA - true about Logan. He really jumped off the screen for me, but if they'd cast the part of Duncan better then it might have been more of a fair fight. And nooooo! Robin Williams is dead? That's so sad. :(

Edited by poetgirl925

Also I'd say Keith was just as smart as Veronica.

Absolutely.  I tried to exempt him from my comparisons when I used the word peer thinking it would only cover those closer to her age but I wasn't specific enough. 

So sad about Robin Williams.

I went over to Twitter and got my blubber on reading all the shock and regret over his death.   It's trending world wide. 

There's a really nice Tribute thread to Robin Williams in the Movies forum. Lots of people sharing their feelings and well wishes to his family. I really can't think about Mrs. Doubtfire right now because of all of the memories associated with watching it in theaters with my brother and dad on visitation weekend.

whoops, looks like beat me to it.

Edited by JayKay

I remember Veronica Mars.  The problem with Duncan, in my opinion, is that he didn't seem sharp enough for Veronica - like he couldn't keep up with her.  I don't mean book-smart necessarily, but Veronica was very witty and quick-thinking.  Logan seemed better able to keep up with her (as BkWurm1 said).  Their chemistry was a surprise because Jason Dohring isn't good-looking in that usual TV way.  I don't know anything about behind-the-scenes conflicts but when the cast reunited for that Kickstarter movie, they seemed happy to see each other - at least it appeared that way from the interviews and video clips that I saw.

There's a difference between bland and quiet.  There are good actors who can play reserved characters of few words and still have a lot of on-screen presence.  There are bad actors who can play loud, colorful characters and still be forgettable.  And sometimes you need the right project for the actor to shine.  I remember seeing Stephen Amell in some Hallmark movie a few years back and he was bland and forgettable.  Yet, on Arrow, he's like a completely different actor - giving Oliver a lot of layers and depth and emotion.

Sorry to hear about Robin Williams - a genuine talent.

Edited by tv echo

For allTerminator fans...

‘Terminator: Genisys’ is Official Title of the Next Terminator Film
http://nerdrepository.com/terminator-genisys-official-title-film/

I loved the first Terminator movie.  I loved Sarah Connor (played by Linda Hamilton) and Kyle Reese (played by Michael Biehn).  Arnold Schwarzennegger was perfectly cast for his part as well because he just had to act like a robot and not talk much.  I liked the second film mostly because of the awesome Linda Hamilton and was okay with AS' beefed up role in his interactions with John.  I hated the third Terminator movie.  I was okay with Terminator:Salvation because I like Christian Bale.

But now I really don't see how AS can still play a Terminator - he's way too old.  Despite the fact that I can't stand AS because he seems to have an ego the size of the universe (and there's that whole housekeeper love child thing), I will probably see this new film because it also stars Emilia Clarke and Matt Smith(!).

• Love 1

It wasn't really even Arnold in Salvation, that was CGI. And while I still like him as an actor, I agree he's way past the time he should be playing an ageless cyborg. The only way I might be able to buy him being the star of a new Terminator now is if he's not playing a terminator but rather the human the model skin was based on

Edited by KirkB

It wasn't really even Arnold in Salvation, that was CGI. And while I still like him as an actor, I agree he's way past the time he should be playing an ageless cyborg. The only way I might be able to buy him being the star of a new Terminator now is if he's not playing a terminator but rather the human the model skin was based on

Oh yeah, I forgot that was all CGI.  I could get behind the idea that he was the human they modeled the T-800 after.  But yeah Arnold as an actual terminator seems ridiculous.

I loved Winter Soldier. Can't wait until it comes out on video. I think it's possibly my favorite MCU movie to date, although Avengers is a very close second.

I haven't known what to think about Guardians of the Galaxy - it looks so different from anything they've done yet. But so far I'm reading good reviews. It'll probably be awhile before I get to see it though.

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy.  I'd rank it 2nd among the Marvel produced movies, just behind The Winter Soldier, and ahead of The Avengers.  If we're talking movies made out of Marvel comics, it's still second, but Days of Future Past is tied with The Avengers.

Dick. He added little, his part in Veronica's not-quite rape was clearly overlooked in order for him to be liked. (As was Logan's actually)

I can think of no character in television that I despised more than Logan Echolls.  Remember the "Puny god" scene in The Avengers?  Yeah, I would like to see The Hulk do that to Logan.  Damn jackass, yes I hate him more than Lana Lang, and Dawn Summers.    There was a huge dropped storyline with Veronica's rape.  She's cool with Dick and Logan, two guys who played a huge role in it, both of them purposely drugged someone (although Veronica wasn't the intended target for Dick), and yet she despises Madison and blames her for it, despite Madison being the intended victim.

• Love 1

For you Joss Whedon fans, articles about his recently released biography by Amy Pascale..

Whedon biography offers hilarious reason why he named his show Firefly
http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-1/whedon-biography-offers-hilarious-reason-why-he-named-his-show-firefly

Read Nathan Fillion's touching (and hilarious) foreword for Joss Whedon's biography
http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-4/read-nathan-fillions-touching-and-hilarious-foreword-joss-whedons-biography

Another Hollywood legend has passed away - Lauren Bacall.  In tribute:

15 Memorable Lauren Bacall Quotes: 'Stardom Isn't a Profession; It's an Accident'
http://parade.condenast.com/327160/linzlowe/15-memorable-lauren-bacall-quotes-stardom-isnt-a-profession-its-an-accident/

Edited by tv echo

So what shows do you all watch via Netflix/Prime marathon, rather than as they air?

I jut got done watching season four of Haven on Netflix, and I've also recently watched season four (I think) of Lost Girl, season one of Witches of East Side, season three of Sherlock, and the last two Doctor Who specials. I still have season three of Continuum on my list, I'm stuck in the middle of season two of Justified, and I want to finish rewatching Veronica Mars (I've rewatched seasons one and two - have three yet to go) so I can watch the movie.

I find that I actually enjoy most shows more when I marathon them, particularly ones that are more serialized. (More procedural type shows don't work so well - I tried marathoning season one of House once and kind of burned myself out on the show.) I guess that's because I don't have as much time to pick apart the flaws and to build up expectations. On the downside however, when I want to discuss the show, everyone's already moved on months ago - lol.

What do you all think?

I always get way behind on TV because I travel a lot. But all of my relatives gift me with iTunes cards for holidays, or just reasons from my parents, so I download a lot and then tend to marathon things. Last summer I watched 8 seasons of How I Met Your Mother and then followed the last season weekly. If I'd actually spent 8-9 years waiting to meet the mother, I probably would have wanted to kill the writers for that finale. Then around Christmas I finally got around to watching the Big Bang Theory seasons I had downloaded. It took about 6 months, but I'm caught up for the new season now. I like to marathon shows, and it's really easy with comedies and shows like The Americans and Orphan Black. The shorter episodes/seasons make it easier, I suppose.

I watched all four seasons of Game of Thrones starting in April and finishing up in June. Then I played catch up with Arrow, episodes 18-23. I just finished season 2 of The Americans and season 2 of Orphan Black over the last couple of weeks. I'm also stuck around the middle of season 3 of Continuum. I seem to be losing interest which happens to me with a lot of shows. I don't have a lot of time for TV so unless a show really excites me, I end up just deleting it off my list. I've had ... I think it was s3 of Falling Skies downloaded from iTunes forever but only made it through 4-5 episodes. So, I didn't bother with the last season. I have the last season of Grimm downloaded but it's been pushed back on my list. I may marathon it later. I think I dropped Haven after S2, and Warehouse 13 in S3, but I'll probably catch up later.

I just finished the last season of Castle. I don't really ship, but that finale was harsh - all that buildup to the wedding that wasn't reminded me of Clark and Lois lol. But before that the episode was really fun. This summer I've been watching Cold Justice (crime shows are the only reality TV I'll watch) Suits, Covert Affairs. I'm watching Outlander. I go back to work next week after having the summer off, so my time will be limited again. Arrow is the only show I've discussed online since I was part of the Bones fandom several years ago.

Edited by poetgirl925

I'm also stuck around the middle of season 3 of Continuum. I seem to be losing interest which happens to me with a lot of shows

I stalled mid season two but I have the next seventeen episodes waiting for me on my DVR when I get desperate enough.  Same for the last season of Revenge and Covert Affairs..  I know once I start watching, I'll get interested again but somehow the week to week stuff for them just doesn't hold my attention. 

I marathoned the first season of Orphan Black and I'm hoping the second season also comes to Amazon Prime and I started doing the same with True Blood but I got Vampired out with that one before I made it to the second season. 

I rely on my DVR to catch series that I might be interested in but am not certain of giving it my time yet.  I mean, I tell it to record, but I have enough memory that I can just let them pile up until I want to deal with them. 

Castle I usually watch right away.  It's one of those shows that pretty much comes with a feel good promise - no matter even if the grooms car is found flipped and on fire.  I can't equate it to Lois & Clark levels of jerking around since for L&C they were waiting for the wedding to be intimate so there was a LOT waiting on the wedding.  With Castle and Beckett, they are already everything married but the names on a document so the urgency feels less to me. 

So basically I made a list of TV shows to watch for my friends and thought I would share for people who are insanely bored :)

• Arrested Development
  • Chuck
  • Community (watch the first three seasons, skip 4, and watch season 5. trust me)
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Friday Night Lights
  • Doctor Who (for those of you who haven't seen it. Season 5-7 are my favorite :'))
  • Gilmore Girls
  • Scrubs
  • Suits
  • White Collar
  • Will and Grace
  • Veronica Mars
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Wire
  • True Detective
  • The West Wing
  • Seinfeld
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia 
  • The Office
  • Boardwalk Empire

Tbqh if the last episode of HIMYM never aired I would've suggested it, but it did, and it ruined the entire series for me :/

• Love 1

I can't wait for Arrested Development Season 5!

As for Doctor Who, I'm a Tennant/10th Doctor fan. Matt Smith was a great Doctor but I have issues with Moffat and is his writing of female characters. I saw Peter Capaldi on the Musketeers and loved him, so I'll check out the 12th Doctor, if it's the same I probably won't continue to watch. 

True Detective starts out slow, you have to get to episode 4, then it really picks up and gets interesting. 

Veronica Mars is a definite watch. I re-watched S 1-3 before the movie came out and I was also a Kickstarter backer, that's how much I loved that show. 

I recommend Outlander, however if you want to binge watch it you might have to wait a year, unless they release the first half of season 1 before it starts again in Spring 2015.

I didn't even watch the last episode of HIMYM, I read about online and knew I couldn't watch them ruin a formally great show with a stupid ending. 

True Blood finale is actually going to be the next HIMYM - I've a friend who got it through work in advance, and the sheer WTFery of that ending made me want to claw my eyes out. Thank god I've stopped watching a year ago.

As for Doctor Who, I'm a Tennant/10th Doctor fan. Matt Smith was a great Doctor but I have issues with Moffat and is his writing of female characters.

ITA, only I never warmed up to Smith, too. He was OK, but nowhere near Eccleston or Tennant. Although I've stopped watching after s5, maybe he got better. However, I won't watch until Moffat's gone, I'm not interested in anything that man writes. He's like anti-RTD, it's a miracle one show can have two such different showrunners one after the other.

I'm currently watching The Killing, after reading it's finally over (after 2 cancellations!) and has a decent finale. It's watchable and I love the two main characters, but the scenes with Michelle Forbes' character are awful and I want to kill her myself. And I actually like Michelle Forbes, the character's just infuriating.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I guess I loved Smith because he was my first Doctor! He'll always have a special place in my heart :') Then again, most of my opinions about that show is pretty much a minority :p eg. I never really liked Rose/Eleven or Rose/Ten. IDK why. Favorite companion was Donna, then Amy/Rory! I thought Moffat did well with Amy in the end though. I didn't like her in the beginning when she was handsy with the doctor though...

@FurryFury, could you tell me what happens? I stopped a few seasons ago, but I'm interested in how they screwed up :p

• Love 1

ITA, only I never warmed up to Smith, too. He was OK, but nowhere near Eccleston or Tennant. Although I've stopped watching after s5, maybe he got better. However, I won't watch until Moffat's gone, I'm not interested in anything that man writes. He's like anti-RTD, it's a miracle one show can have two such different showrunners one after the other.

I never warmed up to Smith like I did with Eccleston and Tennant, but I thought he did take on the personality of the Doctor. It was everything else that made me stop watching after a few episodes of season 6, mostly the generic female companions. And I can't stand Moffat. I know there is a lot of debate over RTD and Moffat. For me I just think RTD is a better character writer while Moffat is a better storyteller. When they work together they make something great. I loved Moffat's episodes during RTD's run. "Blink" was amazing, then Moffat went on to ruin the Weeping Angels forever.

With True Blood, I know I'll regret watching it until the end but it's Summer and there is not much else on, so I'll watch it then be bitter about it. 

Edited by Sakura12

I agree with nine/ten being my favourite doctors, I can rewatch their episodes over and over again. I didn't think that season 5 was too bad, but 6 onwards was just a no go for me. Besides the aforementioned sexism etc, I found that Moffat's ideas were great in theory, but the execution was terrible, even characters like Amy and Eleven started off great, but by the end I was a bit sick. I shall be watching twelve though, Capaldi seems to know what he wants, and I quite like him. 

I've started reading Outlander (and watched the first two episodes) and it's really good. The story line is really unique, and really unpredictable. And Claire is an amazing well rounded character. 

I really wanted to like Amy, but she was just all over the place and I could never understand her character. It felt like she didn't have her own personality and was defined by the men in her life. I mean, I remember the episode "Amy's Choice" which was basically about her choosing between a boring but peaceful life with Rory (and being pregnant, which was kinda implied she didn't want at that moment) and crazy adventure with the Doctor. It left a bad taste in my mouth. With Rose and Donna, it never felt like they weren't their own characters, hell, Martha's arc was all about her growing out of it.

Re: True blood - they basically managed to screw up every romantic pairing ever. Also, babies ever after. Specifically, 

Bill dies, in the flash-forwards Sookie gets together with a guy whose face is not even shown and is pregnant, Jessica ends up with Hoyt, Jason's with Hoyt's ex-girlfriend introduced specifically for that, Sam is with the girl from s6, there was also a horrible bit about Tara's reconnection with her mother but I'm not sure if it happens in the finale or has already happened in the shown episodes. Eric and Pam seem to escape relatively unscathed, though. Sarah's living in her own personal hell and is being used as a vampire toy.

Keep in mind some of this may be inaccurate, though.

Haha wow. I guess I'm going to be the odd one out here. I actually have preferred Moffat's run to RTD's overall. That's not to say I have approved of everything he's done - season six was pretty much a mess. But I still overall would rather rewatch the Moffat seasons than the RTD seasons, with the exception of season four - I adore Donna. I just will never forgive RTD for what he did to her at the end.

Eleven has been my favorite doctor so far, and Amy/Rory my favorite companions. Donna's close behind, then Clara. Rose and Martha would be tied for least favorite. That's not to say I disliked either of them, but I did not enjoy the Doctor/Rose stuff, and I found that Martha's unrequited crush on the Doctor ruined a lot of her season for me.

On the other hand, I do actually enjoy Eleven/River. I think Matt Smith and Alex Kingston had some amazing chemistry. I do have to willfully ignore episodes like The Wedding of River Song in order to keep shipping them, though.

Ha so there's my unpopular Doctor Who opinion for the day. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

The Tara thing happened and I hated it. It looks like True Blood is going to be following Dexter and HIMYM instead of Breaking Bad. But I kind of figured that.

I know a lot of people hated Rose, that's because she had a personality to hate. Moffat's version of females seem to have stopped at the character description of spunky and that's it. They have nothing else going for them. Amy was practically introduced as a stripper, then her whole deal was the men in her life, I thought Clara was going to be different when they first introduced her as a tech genius, which would've been interesting for Eleven, but then when she came on board she was just a spunky girl, like Amy. 

Not liking Moffat is actually the minority opinion everywhere else. For me RTD's run was a lot more fun and playful and easier to re-watch. I do think Moffat is a brilliant storyteller but sometimes he let's his ideas get in the way of the plot and characters.

The 50th anniversary episode just reinforced how much I missed Tennant's Doctor. (I wish Eccleston was there for that as well.) I'd watch a show with 10 and 11 though. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I stopped watching Suits after the first season. Almost everything about it felt like your standard lawyer show, and I think literally every case of the season was solved in a neat bow, with Harvey getting the inspiration to win because of something someone else said in a conversation that usually had nothing to do with the case. Not enough Gina Torres, either.

I did get hooked on The Good Wife though. Even when they win a case on that show you're never really sure how to feel because they represent a lot of criminals or morally shady people. Elsbeth is probably my favourite recurring character on television at the minute, she's just so much fun. Haven't seen season five yet though.

I guess I loved Smith because he was my first Doctor! He'll always have a special place in my heart :') Then again, most of my opinions about that show is pretty much a minority :p eg. I never really liked Rose/Eleven or Rose/Ten. IDK why. Favorite companion was Donna, 

Yep! I've never managed to warm up to Rose too, she was okay with nine, but i couldn't stand those cow eyes she always made at ten. I mean sure Martha did them too, but it felt different, you know?

Donna is my favorite too, along side Jack.

River Song is always a win, but.. Alex Kingston.

i don't a specific era i like better, i just dislike season 2, and i was happy when Rose went away. i hated when she kept coming back.

Not surprisingly i loved Billy Piper in the 50th, because it wasn't rose.

Edited by foreverevolving

That's interesting because I found Moffat's run to be more fun and playful, to me. I felt like RTD's stuff could get pretty dark sometimes.

I never hated Rose. I just really didn't like the Doctor/Rose ship. Rose by herself was fine. And honestly, I liked Rose/Nine a whole lot better than Rose/Ten. The Nine/Rose/Jack combo was a lot of fun - I wish it had lasted longer.

Oddly, even though I enjoyed Jack on Doctor Who, I just couldn't get into Torchwood. I really tried, but it just didn't work for me.

Suits is one of those shows that I would like to watch for Gina Torres, but nothing else about it interests me. (Well ok Donna looks like she might be awesome, but other than that....) So I haven't tried. I don't really care much for legal shows though, as a general rule. I did love JAG, but that's been one of the few exceptions. Not much for medical shows either. I did watch Night Shift this summer because it had several actors l liked, but that's also been kind of an exception.

Edited by Starfish35
I stopped watching Suits after the first season.

Ditto. Also, I don't think I ever hated a main character as much as I hated that smug asshole Harvey Specter. I mean, I even liked Jack Shepherd (Lost) more. I guess if I continued to watch The Strain, the lead guy would have been a competition, but I couldn't even finish the pilot.

Suits just felt like a male power fantasy, with the exception of maybe Gina Torres' character, who was okay. Girls were shallow and love interests and guys were smart and always on top, and Harvey was practically a Mary Sue. I did like the guy who played Mike though, and I liked seeing him on Orphan Black.

Not liking Moffat is actually the minority opinion everywhere else. 

It's 50/50, I think. Some of my acquaintances liked the one, some - the other. Tumblr seems to prefer RTD by far, from what I've seen, but it's very much a point of contention.

HOLY CRAP THE GOOD WIFE. 

I thought it was the best tv show of the year last year. It was so friggin' fantastic and not your normal lawyer drama. I started loving Kalinda but now I hate her. I adore Eli, Elsbeth, Diane, Will (still not over it if you know what I mean), and I have a soft spot for Cary. 

Probably my most favorite show right now! :')

Oh, ok. Most places I've seen seem to be Moffat is so brilliant and RTD sucks. 

Since I stopped shipping anyone on tv shows, I have a soft spot for the Doctor/Rose since they are one of last couples I shipped (along with Sawyer/Juilet). My Doctor/Rose ship wasn't necessary romantic I just liked the connection they had and I thought Rose was kind of perfect for 10's personality. She would not have fit with 11. I loved Donna, Catherine Tate was brilliant I was happy that they brought her back. I liked Martha too, her crush on the Doctor was a tad annoying but I'm glad she was able to get over it and become a stronger person. 

That's interesting because I found Moffat's run to be more fun and playful, to me. I felt like RTD's stuff could get pretty dark sometimes.

I've always seen Moffat's run described in the media as being more clever and darker than RTD. While RTD is described as more playful and childish. 

Edited by Sakura12

Sadly, my internet sucks so any shows that I would like to binge-watch would have to already be on DVD.  If you like cute quirky shows, I recommend The Middleman and Wonderfalls.  So sad that those didn't last beyond one season.

I used to watch Doctor Who but quit recently.  In fact, Matt Smith's last episode is still sitting on my DVR.  I'm not sure if Peter Capaldi has the charisma that is needed to pull this role off, so I may just tune in later if I hear good things.

I'm dubious about Capaldi, but so far my trend with Nine, Ten, and Eleven has been initial skepticism but by the end liking them more than the previous doctor. So I'll give him a chance.

Speaking of shipping, what was the first ship you ever shipped? Mine was Lois and Clark from Lois & Clark: The New Adventures. It was airing when I was in college and I was so into those two, and so frustrated at all the bizarre complications (frog clone? Seriously?). I think Teri Hatcher will probably always be my Lois, and I had such a crush on Dean Cain. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

That's... hard to decide, really. I thing it was either Zev/Kai on Lexx or John/Aeryn on Farscape (which is ironic, because when I've tried to rewatch Farscape years later, I didn't like nearly as much). But it all pales next to Buffy/Angel - I watched Buffy when I was maybe 15 or 16, and the last episode shown on TV in our country was s2 finale. Imagine how I felt... I only got fast enough Internet connection years later. "Painful" doesn't even cover it. 

Still one of my favorite TV episodes ever, though.

I stopped watching Suits after the first season. Almost everything about it felt like your standard lawyer show, and I think literally every case of the season was solved in a neat bow, with Harvey getting the inspiration to win because of something someone else said in a conversation that usually had nothing to do with the case. Not enough Gina Torres, either.

I did get hooked on The Good Wife though. Even when they win a case on that show you're never really sure how to feel because they represent a lot of criminals or morally shady people. Elsbeth is probably my favourite recurring character on television at the minute, she's just so much fun. Haven't seen season five yet though.

I haven't been able to watch most legal shows since law school. I end up nitpicking them to death, and that's no fun. But a good friend wanted to marathon Suits after we finished marathoning White Collar. I watched the pilot, and was so underwhelmed and bored by it. I know I should watch Episode 2 to see if my issues with the pilot go away, but I just can't psych myself up for it. Based on the last few posts, it sounds like I'm not missing much.

I adore The Good Wife, though. Procedurally, it drives me crazy, but I let it slide because showing how long litigation actually takes would be deadly boring. I love everything else about the show, though, and I can't wait for the new season.

And other than soaps, which don't count, the first couple I ever shipped hardcore was Sydney and Vaughn on Alias until that show became a big mess.

Edited by KenyaJ

Speaking of shipping, what was the first ship you ever shipped? Mine was Lois and Clark from Lois & Clark: The New Adventures. It was airing when I was in college and I was so into those two, and so frustrated at all the bizarre complications (frog clone? Seriously?). I think Teri Hatcher will probably always be my Lois, and I had such a crush on Dean Cain. :)

Joining you with Lois and Clark as the first couple I've shipped :))) Their chemistry was sizzling, and they had such awesome moments... remember the one at the end of That Old Gang Of Mine? :)))) Also, Dean Cain: Best. Clark. Ever.

• Love 1