Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 points for me -- pork (because pigs are intelligent) and ranch dressing. Everything else I will or have eaten.

I gave up meat for Lent. I'm finding it harder and harder to eat animals.  I blame The dodo. I will probably end up a vegan in my last years.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

2 points for me -- pork (because pigs are intelligent) and ranch dressing. Everything else I will or have eaten.

I gave up meat for Lent. I'm finding it harder and harder to eat animals.  I blame The dodo. I will probably end up a vegan in my last years.

I still eat meat sometimes, because I travel a lot and don't want to be an inconvenience to my travel partners. But when I'm home, there are so many alternatives that I find myself just going with those - Beyond Meat burgers and sausages are very satisfying replacements, I use jackfruit for shredded pork/chicken, and I started making taco filling out of cauliflower and walnuts that, while it doesn't taste like meat, it does have that crumbly consistency and tastes like the kind of thing that would be in a taco, and it just makes me feel a lot better in my day-to-day life. 

7 hours ago, bijoux said:

I think it's 12. I'm allergic to peanut and soy, so that's two. And I think pickles are the worst smelling thing on Earth and people have been duped into thinking it's actual food. 

2 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

It's tofu

Then 13. 😁

7 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Beyond Meat burgers and sausages are very satisfying replacements,

Thanks, I'll look for them.

There's a brand here called Yves and they make a pretty good ground meat replacement. I use it for anything I used ground meat for: spaghetti sauce, chilies, stir fry.  They also make burgers and kale hot dogs but I haven't tried those yet. Walnuts and cauliflower together sounds interesting.

The Whole Foods near me makes chicken fried tofu for their hot bar and it is so good!  Unfortunately I have never been able to cook tofu well, and Whole Foods nickname Whole Paycheck exists for a reason, so I can't have it as often as I'd like.  Come to think of it, I haven't been there in a while so maybe that will be dinner tomorrow...

So many shows that I watch are ending this year. Arrow (after Emily/Felicity leaves, I'm done. No s8 for me unless she's guest starring), iZombie, Elementary, Veep, Game of Thrones, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend... I'm sad. What am I supposed to do now? Go outside?!

giphy.gif

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

You're too young to remember St. Elsewhere. That will always be the worst finale for me. In case you're wondering, it ended with the whole show, all 6 seasons, being something that was imagined in the mind of an autistic boy. Talk about a kick in the teeth for viewers. Amazing cast though, Denzel Washington, Mark Harmon, Howie Mandel, David Morse, William Daniels, Stephen Furst, Bruce Greenwood...

LOVE Bruce Greenwood in the Resident! He is sooooo good!

Anyways, back to HIMYM I think it was THE WORST for me because after all the keruffle with Robyn and how wonderful Tracey was for him and how well they did to set Tracey up, they had to have him still hold a torch for Robyn after they spent several seasons establishing why those two did not work. It felt like a slap in the face to his entire life with Tracey. 

Let's just kill the perfect love and have him moon over Robyn AGAIN!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!

I am such an all or nothing person when it comes to romance that left the SOUREST taste in my mouth. Hell even Pink Bandit who is way less dramatic and drastic than I am found it unpalatable! 

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But yes I agree they will need to do a lot to top those two in awfulness!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

If they are both dead then at least they are dead together. Very Korean series but dead together is not too bad. Can float around on the after life and reincarnate as Olicity 2.0.

OMG, MellowYellow, I have to tell you about this Korean drama my niece made me watch where it started with a scene implying the couple committed suicide and then it goes back to show them meeting, falling in love, facing hardship (guy is super rich and from a family that expects him to run the business but he wants to be a playwright or something, oh and also very married; girl is poor but talented singer) ... I thought the suicide thing was going to be a trick -- AND IT WASN'T! I later found out the title was "Hymn of Death." 

facepalm.gif

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

OMG, MellowYellow, I have to tell you about this Korean drama my niece made me watch where it started with a scene implying the couple committed suicide and then it goes back to show them meeting, falling in love, facing hardship (guy is super rich and from a family that expects him to run the business but he wants to be a playwright or something, oh and also very married; girl is poor but talented singer) ... I thought the suicide thing was going to be a trick -- AND IT WASN'T! I later found out the title was "Hymn of Death." 

facepalm.gif

😂😆

I feel for you I do but they did warn you plenty!!!!!

Worse thing was when my mum watched a korean COMEDY!!!! It had a very jolly, silly, slapstick tone to it and was lots of fun until the main character starts coughing up blood in the last 3 episodes and DIES!!!!!!! My poor mother! For about a week after she walked around saying "But I specifically chose a comedy."

I have been trained that both dead = not too bad! Still epic!

Not that I wish for this ending AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

My last series the couple bled out together before being reincarnated and were running around having piggy back rides in the final scene.

Chinese/korean series have so many awesome fan service scenes but you've got to deal with stuff like that at the end! 

• LOL 2

The HIMYM finale ruined the whole show. I can't even go back and watch old episodes I loved knowing how it ended. The producers and writers know they messed up when their other show got picked up then dropped after the fan response to the finale. They stuck with their original plan that would've worked if the show only lasted 2 seasons. 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The HIMYM finale ruined the whole show. I can't even go back and watch old episodes I loved knowing how it ended. The producers and writers know they messed up when their other show got picked up then dropped after the fan response to the finale. They stuck with their original plan that would've worked if the show only lasted 2 seasons. 

Always reminds me of the Dawson's Creek finale. How when Kevin Williamson came back to write part 1 of the 2 hour finale he was going to put Dawson and Joey together because that was his original planned ending. However, after thinking about it he decided that his original planned ending no longer fit the characters as they l'd been developed. Thus Dawson's Creek ends with Joey/Lacey which was more in character/story.

Sign of a good writer, he knew when to let go of his original concept

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8
On 4/1/2019 at 6:36 AM, Sakura12 said:

The HIMYM finale ruined the whole show. I can't even go back and watch old episodes I loved knowing how it ended.

One of the worst finales to any show I have ever seen ever. Just a slap in the face to the fans, all because the writers refused to let go of their precious ending that they wrote and filmed almost a decade before. I watched that finale in utter shock that something so awful could be unfolding in front of me. It was so bad, that it retroactively killed the whole show for me, because the whole thing is pointless now. 

• Love 2
On 4/1/2019 at 8:36 AM, Sakura12 said:

The HIMYM finale ruined the whole show. I can't even go back and watch old episodes I loved knowing how it ended. 

Same. Tried watching a repeat and only lasted 2 minutes. I have rewatched Barney’s proposal to Robin a couple times, but even that’s ruined. 

I will never forgive/never forget the HIMYM mess. 

In a completely opposite vein, one where a show (Well the Fan-won mini-series)) had a pretty great ending (for me). This article reminded me of how much I loved Farscape. John and Aeryn and their journey. *Sigh* 

Journey was mostly as fun as the destination, and they out there concepts, but they never forgot their main ship.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-look-back-at-farscape-aliens-puppets-and-criminals-1833716459

• Love 5

The How I Met Your Mother finale didn't really bother me because the whole show was awful for about three seasons before it ended, anyway. I still don't understand their decision to wrap it up that way, especially considering that they somehow pulled off a casting miracle by getting Milioti in as the mother, someone so charming she managed to live up to eight seasons of expectations.

Barney and Robin were both insufferable by the end too. I was glad they split up, but...they were both so awful that they kind of deserved each other.

Anyone pursue a physical hobby at a more grown up age?

Was discussing new hobbies with Hubs after my fan fic writing stint ends with S7 and he thinks I should pursue figure skating cuz I'm quite mad about it. 

Haha my dreams in regards to figure skating involve being in my teens, beautiful and able to do a 3lutz3loop. 😂 Pie in the sky stuff

He reckons I should sign up for at least 2 lessons a week and if I can skate well after a year, maybe do a spin it'll be worth my time. 

I can see how it would be a wonderful achievement but I'd have to take 2 days away from chores to drive to the rink twice a week. I'm also completely not flexible. Like he put me on his stretching machine and my legs couldn't be stretched to 90 degrees 😤

I'm also 38 this year! I think if it was something else I wouldn't balk so much at the idea but ice seems so slippery 😅

Anyone pursue a physical hobby later in life? Am I crazy?

You should DEFINITELY take figure skating lessons.  I was a competitive skater as a child (4 - 11 years?) and my best jumps were doubles.  I took skating again in college, because I thought it would be funny, but the funniest thing was underestimating how much my custom boots/blades contributed, and that the loss of a center of gravity would be my downfall.  I'm old, so figures were a big deal when I competed, and the ONLY thing I really excelled in.  LOL

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I can see how it would be a wonderful achievement but I'd have to take 2 days away from chores to drive to the rink twice a week.

Getting to take 2 days away from chores would seal the deal for me. Besides, it would help full your time as your kid gets older and spends more time in school.

Another reason to take lessons is that doing physical things builds cognitive reserve so you get to keep your brain intact as well as your body as you age. I read a research study that theorized that being bilingual plus 1 extra flight of stairs a day keeps your brain 1.5 years younger. (That increases with the more exercise you do.)

• Love 2

Thanks guys 🤗

@statsgirl I definitely want my brain in tact! The gang are mean at home and always teasing that I'll be crazy like Grampy Rabbit on Peppa Pig when I'm old!

Omg @Kymmi I'm impressed you had your doubles. I'd settle for stable skating at my age tbh! That'll give me enough scope to imagine I'm 16, beautiful and have an arsenal of triples 😄

• Love 2

I think the most unforgivable thing about the himym finale is the fact that not only did they put Robin and Ted back together when the show acknowledged they are a terrible couple but that they crapped all over Barney to do it. 

I also really hate That 70s show for ruining Jackie and Hyde for the sake of having Fez end up with Jackie to statisfy a season one plot point. 

• Love 3

I got Captain America and Sebastian Stan!  I'm good with that (however, although I answered the questions truthfully, I don't think the description below is completely accurate for me)...

Which Marvel Cinematic Universe Character And Actor Are You A Combo Of?
Nora Dominick   April 17, 2019
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/marvel-cinematic-universe-character-and-actor-are-you

You got: Captain America and Sebastian Stan
You're a combo of Captain America and Sebastian. You're big-hearted, charming, and sincere. Like Captain America, you always put the needs of others above your own. And like Sebastian, you're someone who always looks on the bright side of any situation.

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I am the tree and Paul Rudd!!!! Does this mean I will not age????? Awesome!

You got: Groot and Paul Rudd

You're a combo of Groot and Paul. You're goofy, sincere, and genuine. Like Groot, you're a big kid at heart and you don't take life too seriously. And like Paul, you're someone people turn to when they need a good laugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Doesn't really describe me, but I'm cool with it. 😄

You got: Captain Marvel and Tessa Thompson

You're a combo of Captain Marvel and Tessa. You're bold, passionate, and fierce. Like Captain Marvel, you're a natural-born leader who leads with your instincts. And like Tessa, you're someone who always speaks your mind.

Had to do a double take because I thought it was saying Peter Parker and Spider-Man XD

You got: Spider-Man and Tom Holland

You're a combo of Spider-Man and Tom. You're loyal, adventurous, and funny. Like Spider-Man, you're constantly striving to be the very best version of yourself. And like Tom, you're someone who's always looking to have a good time.

12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I am the tree and Paul Rudd!!!! Does this mean I will not age????? Awesome!

You got: Groot and Paul Rudd

You're a combo of Groot and Paul. You're goofy, sincere, and genuine. Like Groot, you're a big kid at heart and you don't take life too seriously. And like Paul, you're someone people turn to when they need a good laugh.

Me too! High five!

• Love 1

Sooooo I'm supposed to be a on a gem/jewellery ban but an opportunity arose for me to obtain these gems and I could not resist. I have been wanting a padparadscha coloured stone for ages and since padparadscha sapphires cost the earth and are so hard to find I couldn't pass this up!

Padparadscha coloured mahenge spinel

20190425_110500-jpg.688294

Burmese Spinel - Prices for these have gone nuts and I couldn't resist adding this to the collection.

20190425_111258-jpg.688295

Actual Padparadscha Sapphire - She's small but mighty in colour and a true pad. I had to get her in case life passes me by and I never own a real pad. 

20190425_111826-jpg.688298

On another note the interwebs is an amazing thing. A few years back when I first got into gems we used to go to those jewellery stores and blindly pay retail prices. Thank goodness those gems actually tested out fine at the labs I sent them to later on in life. Nowadays you can make friends with a gem buff in the interwebs, meet them in real life and get access to gems your friend bought from a miner 15 years ago! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

THIS MOVIE. OH MY GOD GO SEE IT. 

0EEC00E0-0F81-4481-B9DC-8EF2DC19C5F5.jpeg

And it begins.  I won't be able to get away to see it for a couple weeks (I know!).   I think I'm going to have to give up the internet till then.  Lol.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/19/2014 at 9:33 AM, wingster55 said:

I don't even know what my first ship is. 

I guess Clark and Chloe is the first couple I can remember liking. 

My OTP? Mr. and Mrs. Coach

I absolutely ship them both! ❤️❤️

Saw Endgame, that was definitely a roller coaster of emotions. I loved it 3000. Didn't notice the 3 hours until I walked outside and was blinded by the sun. 

Edited by Sakura12

I don’t want to deal with the crowds, but I also don’t want to feel left out by waiting until next week to see it, so I’m going to go to an 8AM showing Saturday morning. 😬

ETA: I went in completely spoiled, and I still laughed, cheered, and cried. What an emotional journey. I loved it.

Edited by lemotomato

I'm in this weird minority that is really burned out on the Avengers.  I still love Captain America, Thor, Black Panther and Captain Marvel - but the giant movies make me tired just thinking about them.  I watched the last movie on a long flight, and will probably wait for this one until then as well.  Glad to hear it's well reviewed - Avengers Age of Ultron really soured me on this franchise.

I still love comic book movies - I just wish I could join in and be as excited as everyone else.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I’m not seeing it until it’s available on Netflix because ticket prices are too expensive by me. (I could buy it on Blu-ray for less than the cost of one ticket.) So I’ll probably be spoiled. 

Unfortunately it won’t be coming to Netflix.  The Netflix/Disney deal ended last year, so none of Disney’s 2019 movies and going forward will be showing up on Netflix.  Most likely because of Disney+ starting up this fall; I know Captain Marvel, at least, is going to be available on that right away.