Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Congratulations to the Cubs & every Cubs fan over the past 108 years. U have earned this World Series trophy through ur blood, sweat & tears! Kudos!

Edited by kismet
  • Love 4

Hey Chicago what do you say? The Cubs won the World Series today!!!

3 hours ago, kismet said:

I know how you feel as Boston Fan I had years of disappoint that is was surreal when we finally became winners. From birth you have this reality with so much heartbreak ..... and then it all changes. It was just an indescribable feeling. I hope things go your way tonight!! GO CUBS!!!

Indescribable is exactly right; I still can't quite believe it. I was in Wrigleyville for the final out and it was unbelievable. Back home now, rewatching the end and it still doesn't seem real. Today is also my birthday. I just got the greatest gift ever.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Coop33 said:

Indescribable is exactly right; I still can't quite believe it. I was in Wrigleyville for the final out and it was unbelievable. Back home now, rewatching the end and it still doesn't seem real. Today is also my birthday. I just got the greatest gift ever.

Happy Birthday!! Love, the Baseball Gods. ?

I'm getting emotional watching coverage of all the celebrations in Chicago. I'm a lifelong Giants fan and remember crying with joy and disbelief after finally winning the WS in 2010. (It was "only" a 46 year drought, but it was the first one they won playing in San Francisco) I'd like to think that since the Cubs beat the Giants and broke our "win the WS during the even years" streak, you guys will pick up that mantle now.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Happy Birthday!! Love, the Baseball Gods. ?

I'm getting emotional watching coverage of all the celebrations in Chicago. I'm a lifelong Giants fan and remember crying with joy and disbelief after finally winning the WS in 2010. (It was "only" a 46 year drought, but it was the first one they won playing in San Francisco) I'd like to think that since the Cubs beat the Giants and broke our "win the WS during the even years" streak, you guys will pick up that mantle now.

Thank you!

I was hoping when we beat the Giants we'd get some of that Even Year Magic, haha. I really like the Giants too. I always rooted for them in the post season, since until recently the Cubs weren't even close to it.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Coop33 said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! What a great day! That's so cool!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Morgan? Hotchner?

Haha I was hoping to return to it because it's a nice non shipping show for me to escape my Olicity angst.

That and How to Get Away with Murder where the people are all evil so no danger of shipping there! 

Morgan/Garcia.  

The mysteries/crimes on Criminal Minds did make handy no obligation watching and I knew the show was more likely to just keep teasing their friendship and I was ok with that (I kind of worked out a solution that they'd be with their current significant others for maybe the next 10-15 years and then realize their firendship was the most important relationship in their lives)  Turned out that once Morgan left and there were no more teases, I had zero interest in the show.   

I gave up watching HTGAWM because I NEED someone to root for and they all are so awful that it made Coliver look good and one half of that ship is still a pretty terrible guy, lol.

17 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

Pitch! Everyone should watch it. I never thought I would stan the actor who played Zach Morris again LOL

I LURVE Pitch.  MPG is rocking it as a ballplayer. He is 100% believable IMO. Love that show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, EmilyBettFan said:

Pitch! Everyone should watch it. I never thought I would stan the actor who played Zach Morris again LOL

I agree, I'm loving Pitch, and finally in this episode we got the storyline everybody's been waiting for.

And everybody, go see Doctor Strange, it was awesome.

• Love 3

I saw Brooklyn last night and I found it so refreshing in that it showed a wide support network and on top of that women helping other women with no self-interest. Ellis really had a good thing going for her there, from her sister, to her cabin mate, her boss in the department store, who I actually expected to turn judgemental, to her land lady and fellow tennants at the boarding house. 

• Love 7

I just wanted to say that I haven't been around much since Wednesday's episode because I've seen a lot of bitterness on this board, not just confined in the bitterness thread but across all the threads and it's been very disheartening. So I wanted to say good luck to everyone and I'll check back in after things improve and hope that people find their happy again. This is a great board and you all have some great thoughts, but I'm not here to circle the drain about how terrible Arrow has become. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, fangirlforever320 said:

I just wanted to say that I haven't been around much since Wednesday's episode because I've seen a lot of bitterness on this board, not just confined in the bitterness thread but across all the threads and it's been very disheartening. So I wanted to say good luck to everyone and I'll check back in after things improve and hope that people find their happy again. This is a great board and you all have some great thoughts, but I'm not here to circle the drain about how terrible Arrow has become. 

I'm sorry this place isn't living up to your expectations, but also, we've actually been crankier and more bummed out than this. It was called season 3.

• Love 12

I saw this quote on a sign at my local bookstore over the weekend and wanted to share it with you (with one edit) as my thought for the day...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing.” 
- Edmund Burke

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm sorry this place isn't living up to your expectations, but also, we've actually been crankier and more bummed out than this. It was called season 3.

I've actually seen this board described as delusional and in denial for not being negative enough about this season ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

So, I had a pretty fun feminist moment today:

I'm faculty in a STEMM college and was chatting with a male colleague today. The conversation turned to a recent college-wide faculty meeting during which I had challenged our dean and received a condescending and slightly threatening response from him. When I asked my colleague what he thought about the dean's response, my colleague said: "I was just egging him on to keep trying to mansplain to [EmeraldArcher], thinking 'Dude, you're toast.'"

EmeraldArcher: 1; Entrenched Male Dominance in STEMM: 0

• Love 8
8 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I've actually seen this board described as delusional and in denial for not being negative enough about this season ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't realize we were so famous. I just wish no one ever dares to tell the writers to come read around here, haha.

• Love 3

@lemotomato, thanks for letting us know we are so famous either, I had no idea... :)

6 hours ago, looptab said:

I didn't realize we were so famous. I just wish no one ever dares to tell the writers to come read around here, haha.

It might actually be a good idea, if they did show up here. People here have some pretty insightful and productive commentary/criticism. If they were open to opinions, it wouldn't hurt to stop by. Plus people have some pretty cool ideas about character development & plot. 

Plus it would confirm my suspicions that someone from Arrow does snoop around here from time to time. I definitely think entertainment journalists do.

• Love 3

I'd rather not have the showrunners here TBH.  I like the frank, unfiltered discussion about the show and what's going on behind the scenes without worrying about hurt feelings.  That said, given their blatant animosity towards fan opinions as of late, I highly doubt they really care anyway.

• Love 4

Eric Kripke made it known he lurked at  TWoP and he literally named 3 guest characters in SPN after the names of some of the writers, mods, & members. I read that Aaron Sorkin actually posted there himself back in the day.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if any shows PTB lurked or at least had their minions lurking or even posting here.

• Love 5

I believe Sorkin or one of his writers got so pissed off at the posters on TWOP that he wrote an unflattering story line about internet people. 

My Name is Earl had the whole WhoJackie? episode. 

Ascended Meme: Taken to ultra-meta levels. Creator Greg Garcia started up an account on Television Without Pityunder the name of whojackie, and began writing all these little bits and pieces on the My Name Is Earl forum that eventually coalesced into an actual episode of the series where whojackie is revealed to be a (very) minor character on the show. When TWoP users saw the episode they looked up Jackey's post history and saw that many of the things he posted on there foreshadowed the events of that episode, including being worried about his Murphy's (wall) Bed. After the episode aired they even had "Joy" post on the site under Jackey's name mirroring the events of the episode. All of the details are discussed in the DVD Commentary of that episode.

Anyhoo, I also don't think the Arrow PTB care what we think. I'm sure on some job security level they do, but they're so antagonistic to any genuine constructive criticism, I can't see them taking anything fans say into account.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

I believe Sorkin or one of his writers got so pissed off at the posters on TWOP that he wrote an unflattering story line about internet people.

Was that the Lyman Lemons storyline on West Wing? That one was good :) All the reasons you don't engage at some point in discussions, esp convos that are not face to face.

Tim Minear posted on the Angel thread at TWoP back in the early seasons of the show.  I thought his comment were interesting.

The graveyard where Susan B. Anthony is laid is staying open late tonight so people can come and put their stickers on her grave after voting.

Prince Harry has broken silence and requested the press to stop the "wave of abuse" that they are subjecting his new girlfriend and her mother to.  Those who watch Suits will know her, she's Meghan Markle.

"It is not right that a few months into a relationship with him that Ms. Markle should be subjected to such a storm," the statement said.

"He knows commentators will say this is 'the price she has to pay' and that 'this is all part of the game.' He strongly disagrees. This is not a game — it is her life and his."

Just in case anyone has Royalty Dating Envy:

One British headline dubbed Markle a "saucy divorcee," while another piece juxtaposed their ancestors, describing hers as "a tailor, a teacher and a cleaner in racially-divided Jim Crow South — while his were ruling the British Empire."

• Love 2