Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

spaceytraci1208

Cereal: It's What's For Breakfast

I like cereal from Nature's Path, especially FlaxPLUS and SmartBran (this one is often a topper for berries and yogurt).  I also make steel cut oats once in a while.  When I was a kid, the only sugary cereal I ate (when my parents got them) was honey nut corn flakes from Kellogg's.  I don't think they make it anymore. 

None.  When I was a kid, spending the night at the house of someone whose parents served cereal for breakfast, I lay awake thinking of reasons to be picked up early.  Food floating in milk is just disgusting to me, so to get by in such situations I'd eat it dry and drink a glass of milk, but I didn't find any of it appetizing.  I'm pretty sure I had Cocoa Puffs, Cheerios and Frosted Flakes, but beyond that I don't remember. 

I loved (and still love) Grape Nuts, but a 1/2 cup of it (the recommended serving) is like a bowl of nothing. Sadly, it doesn't seem worth the effort. And  I eat a handful of Frosted Mini-Wheats for a snack sometimes.

None.  When I was a kid, spending the night at the house of someone whose parents served cereal for breakfast, I lay awake thinking of reasons to be picked up early.  Food floating in milk is just disgusting to me, so to get by in such situations I'd eat it dry and drink a glass of milk, but I didn't find any of it appetizing.  I'm pretty sure I had Cocoa Puffs, Cheerios and Frosted Flakes, but beyond that I don't remember. 

Do you like yogurt?  If so, cereal with a quarter to half cup of plain.

No, I don't like yogurt, either.  But, like I said, I didn't like any of the cereals I tried on their own, so I don't think I'd like them mixed with anything, either.  (And I like milk; I just don't want food floating in it.)

My breakfast is oatmeal (steel cut oats, plain) or fruit on weekday mornings.  I'll make a bigger breakfast on the weekends, usually something with egg whites but sometimes pancakes, waffles or French toast for a treat.  And always bacon or sausage.  Yum.  But I digress. 

Oh, but wait -- I do like Chex.  Not as cereal, but as Chex Mix (the old Betty Crocker party recipe).

• Like 1

None. When I was a kid, spending the night at the house of someone whose parents served cereal for breakfast, I lay awake thinking of reasons to be picked up early. Food floating in milk is just disgusting to me, so to get by in such situations I'd eat it dry and drink a glass of milk, but I didn't find any of it appetizing. I'm pretty sure I had Cocoa Puffs, Cheerios and Frosted Flakes, but beyond that I don't remember.

Hello cereal twin. Although I learned to appreciate Captain Crunch when I was an older teen for some reason.

Another lover of Cinnamon Toast Crunch here, along with Golden Grahams. They're kind of a guilty pleasure, though--I keep thinking I should be eating more "adult" and less sugary cereals. I like Corn Chex, Rice Chex, and Cheerios too, although I add too much sugar. Despite my kiddie cereal tastes, I like plain Cheerios better than any of the flavored varieties. Those commercials for Honey Nut Cheerios with the fancy bistro serving nothing but Honey Nut Cheerios and the people going "mmm" and "aaah" over their bowls used to drive me up the wall.

I'll eat oatmeal, but I don't quite get people who eat it every morning and go on about how filling it is. Or those who love to list the dried fruits and nuts they add to it. No matter what you add, it's still oatmeal.

For the lovers of Cinnamon Toast Crunch: Go to Starbucks and get a vanilla bean frappucino with one pump of the cinnamon dolce syrup. Same flavor in cold slushy form.

• Like 1

My kids favorite is Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I don't eat cereal too often but if I do it's Honey Bunches of Oats.

When I had gestational diabetes I used to eat a Kashi cereal that was ok. Dry and stale tasting but I added fresh blueberries and that really made it quite good.

• Like 1

I go through phases with cereal. When I was in high school, I ate Corn Pops every day.  At some point, I switched to plain Cheerios, which I ate for years.  Recently, I have been introduced to the wonder that is Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  So ridiculously good, I don't care that I'm 35, and should be eating adult cereal.

Nature's path Love Crunch granola. It comes in several varieties. One has dark chocolate and dried berries. There's a aloha blend with pineapple and coconut, and a carrot cake one. All are delicious. I have it most mornings with kefir instead of milk. Kefir is a liquid yogurt drink, sold in quarts.

Edited by backformore

I love cereal.  Anything from healthy cereal (Fiber One, Wheaties, Grape Nuts), to sugar cereal (Captain Crunch is the best--I can't keep it in the house because I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch and snacks), to the stuff in between (Honey Nut Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes).  I even snack on Honey Nut Cheerios every night while I'm watching tv. 

I didn't grow up really eating cereal even though I tried most of the popular kids ones. I really like granola though and have made my own. I prefer it, but when I buy, I do look for granola type. I discovered some good ones in the UK such as Dorset Cereals which they sell here now.

Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds during the warmer months. A couple of packets of instant flavored oatmeal in the winter months. Always with a piece of sourdough toast or English muffin. I usually have French toast on Saturdays to use up my stale bread (sourdough French toast is wonderful!). Sundays I'll typically have poached eggs on toast (with the toast cut up into little squares). If I'm out of bread, I make pancakes.

• Like 2

I don't eat breakfast on a regular basis - I can't deal with food until I have been up a few hours, although coffee is a requirement.

I like oatmeal, but the flavored packaged ones are too sweet for me.  I'll take some plain instant oats (cause I am too lazy for anything requiring real prep in the AM), and mix in about a 1/3 of a package of the flavored one (usually some apple cinnamon variety).

I loved all the sweet cereals as a kid, but when I hit about 18 they just started to taste like sugar cubes (which they essentiall were). I've tried Captain Crunch as an adult and it literally tears up the roof of my mouth.  My kids only get to have the sweet cereals as snack food, but they go through a LOT of Cheerios (plain), Crispix, Wheat Chex, Raisin Bran, Kix and Rice Krispies.  Crispix is my daughter's preferred afterschool snack (dry).

I discovered years ago that a banana dipped in dry Kix is a beautiful thing.  A favorite snack in our house.

I'm trying to shave a few (okay, 20) points off my cholesterol reading before my annual checkup, so I'm eating a little oatmeal every day. In addition to regular hot cereal, I've stirred the quick-cook oats into Greek yogurt (adding a bit of cinnamon and honey), and tonight, I threw a handful of cashews and semi-sweet chocolate chips into a cup of the dry oats. Yummy. Anyone else like dry oats? No horse jokes, please.   :)

I don't do dry oats per se, but I do toasted oats in meusli.  It's easy to put together and makes a nice sprinkly topping for yogurt. 

My kids like dry oats. Sometimes they'll grab a handful just to snack on. However they are oat eaters in general. Oatmeal, homemade granola, steel cut oats, they like it all thankfully. We're gluten free & oats really help in the breakfast rotation. I do seek out gluten free oats since there's often cross contamination & one of my kids has a quick reaction to gluten.

Edited by ramble

I love Bob's Red Mill hot cereals.  I like the 8 grain and steel cut oats (both gluten free for those avoid it).   

Delurker, I don't eat until I have been up for a couple of hours either.  I love both of these hot cereals any time of day and have been known to eat oatmeal for dinner.  I put butter, brown sugar and milk on it.  YUM.  

The steel cut oats do take a long time to cook but they are loaded with nutrition and fiber.  Make one big batch and then reheat portions on other days.  Or make it in the microwave, only 3 minutes.  

Edited by wings707
  • Like 1

I love Bob's Red Mill hot cereals.  I like the 8 grain and steel cut oats (both gluten free for those avoid it).   

Delurker, I don't eat until I have been up for a couple of hours either.  I love both of these hot cereals any time of day and have been known to eat oatmeal for dinner.  I put butter, brown sugar and milk on it.  YUM.  

The steel cut oats do take a long time to cook but they are loaded with nutrition and fiber.  Make one big batch and then reheat portions on other days.  Or make it in the microwave, only 3 minutes.  

You can make the steel cut oats in a slow cooker overnight (that's what I do).  Four hours on low. 

• Like 1

I make steel cut oats on the stove. I bring it to boiling uncovered,  turn off the heat, cover and let it absorb overnight. In the morning, I reheat on the stove or in the microwave. I save the rest for the following days.

• Like 2

The steel cut oats do take a long time to cook but they are loaded with nutrition and fiber.  Make one big batch and then reheat portions on other days.

Exactly what I did this morning, which gives me 3 more breakfasts waiting in the fridge.

I make steel cut oats on the stove. I bring it to boiling uncovered,  turn off the heat, cover and let it absorb overnight. In the morning, I reheat on the stove or in the microwave. I save the rest for the following days.

Excellent idea.  I will do this, for sure.  Easiest way yet!   

Edited by wings707
  • Like 1

Tried this and I totally recommend it!  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

For those of you who eat steel cut oats, any brands you find substantially better (or worse)?  Want to give them a try, but I have "issues" buying brands that I have not tried before. 

For those of you who eat steel cut oats, any brands you find substantially better (or worse)?  Want to give them a try, but I have "issues" buying brands that I have not tried before. 

I have bought Bob's Red Mill for many years.  I swear by all his hot cereals.  Available on amazon.com.

Edited by wings707
  • Like 1

Bob's Red Mill (organic) is what I usually buy, too, and I have also bought Arrowhead Mills (organic) and liked it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

I was in Shipshewana on Friday(Indiana Amish country, for those unfamiliar) and 2 stores were selling big bags of Lucky Charms-type marshmallows.  I may have bought a bag and may have eaten a good share of them already.