Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Thanks, fellow paisanos! I agree that the Greeks and Italians have some of the best food around and the Mediterranean diet is a healthy one. Always has been. Having said that, all the more reason the Duggar cuisine and recipes have made my skin crawl. These people eat crap, plain and simple, IMO. Michelle's "EYEtalian" food is a cheap frozen generic pizza and spaghetti and meatballs....that's it. They really need to experience what real food and cooking is....any ethnic style, good American cuisine doesn't primarily come out of a can, box, or the freezer . No reason, IMO, they can't have a restaurant supply truck deliver fresh produce to their "garage pantry" and USE IT. It's not hard to cook with fresh ingredients at all.

I think Giada has a big ego, thinks she's the greatest at all she does and I suspect she belittles her husband, isn't very maternal . It is HE who wanted to have kids. I don't she wanted to ruin her figure for it. I read that what she samples on her show is just about all she eats that day and works out 2 hours a day with a personal trainer to remain slender. I do watch her show from time to time, but I'm tired of her "necklines" as she isn't the only female who has to wear a bra. She grew up entitled, in a wealthy famous Italian family and had most things handed to her, including being able to study cooking in Europe. A positive here, for me,about her is that she did study something, graduate and is earning her own living at it... not living off of Nonno. (grandpa). The Duggars now need to "encourage" their own adult kids to be all they can be....I can always wish this as a Christmas gift for myself!

• Love 2

I want to take Johannah, Jennifer and Jordyn to see Matilda the musical.  Hopefully it'd put some ideas about dealing with shitty adults in their heads.

I'd get Jackson a gift basket full of Ritalin. 

I'd ask Justin what HE actually wants, and get him that.

I'd get James some fucks to give, since he ran out a long time ago.

I'd give Jason some actual science textbooks.  I'm sure they'd be burned in no time, but hey, I tried.

I'd sign Jer up for some real art classes.

I have no idea what Jedidiah likes besides making home movies.  Do they have film classes for people his age?

I'd send Joy on a trip to NYC alone with Cousin Amy.  Again, I think she might get ideas.

I'd get Josiah a gift certificate to a decent clothing store.  Boy has pizzazz, but it's wasted in the Duggar communal closet.

I'd get Joseph a new razor.  His face pubes are really hideous and someone needs to tell him so.

Jinger on up don't need anything from me, except for Jana, who deserves a nice stay at a resort with a spa.  And maybe Josh could use a coupon for a vasectomy. 

Ritalin for Jackson - that's hilarious!  Not to mention exactly what he DOES need.

• Love 1

Floridamom MEchelle could never cook Italian food because it would require work...something she has no need for because she is too busy making hate speeches.

That whole family could benefit from having lots of fresh vegggies, grains and real fruit not just as a once in a while treat but an everyday thing. Most Americans don't fruit after a meal which they should. Nothing is better then finishing your meal with a nice fresh piece of fruit.

• Love 2

Floridamom MEchelle could never cook Italian food because it would require work...something she has no need for because she is too busy making hate speeches.

That whole family could benefit from having lots of fresh vegggies, grains and real fruit not just as a once in a while treat but an everyday thing. Most Americans don't fruit after a meal which they should. Nothing is better then finishing your meal with a nice fresh piece of fruit.

And a little bit of good cheese with the fruit.  And espresso.  Sigh....

• Love 2

It is a shame what that family does with their time. They have all the time to experiment cooking with new spices, fresh foods, etc. Do they have any Whole Foods or Wegmans stores in their area that emphasize healthier foods? I wish I could afford to shop there all the time or have a delivery truck of fresh food pulling up in my driveway. I can't but they can. The Duggar thrifty days of not being able to afford anything are long gone, but they think we're not onto them. They still cook with & serve frozen food. (Mother's Day episode with frozen strawberries for shortcake & then they weren't even thawed enough IIRC) How easy to prepare & better tasting are fresh strawberries? Or the dinner with the trainer & minister, those chicken strips were shown coming out of a bag, frozen. They can afford to go to one of those places where you prepare the dinners for your family, using the food & healthier recipes supplied by the business. They would just have to double or triple the recipe. But as you said, that would require time.
  • Love 1

Has anyone seen her Kwanzaa cake monstrosity? It's what legends are made of.

You can't mention Queen Sandy without discussing her Kwanzaa cake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

However, i think what was worse was making a Hanukkah cake that was filled with marshmallows :( (for those who don't know, general marshmallows are not kosher. You can buy kosher ones, but it's not mentioned in the original recipe, which I believe was altered. Of course, not all Jews keep kosher, the only person in my family who does is my mom's cousin who I've never met, and I don't have any friends who fully keep kosher, nor do any of the people I know in Israel.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXMGdRFgac Even if it was not kosher, who in the world wants to cut into a cake with marshmallows just sitting in the middle!

• Love 2

Hmm I cant find words for that cake Sandra. I belong to a cake decorating FB page and they would laugh you off of it in a heart beat.

Now moving on to our Christmas festivities.....what time are we all going out caroling and dropping off those all important gift baskets that the Duggar slaves errrr I mean girls made? And I have a silly question, why do they give bibles out year after year? Isn't Tonitown mostly Italian who are Catholic (traditionally) what a strange gift if they give to the neighbors year after year. JMHO

Edited by Fuzzysox

Don't know why Sandra chose apples to fill that cake center. I would think that cherry, strawberry or raspberry filling would have tasted better with that chocolate spread.

Anyhooo, watched that Duggar family Christmas video with Joshie.....not surprised to see Jana doing the mail-clerk check-in job at the desk. Not surprised SHE was sending out Christmas cards, as that's usually the mom's job jurisdiction...what was Michelle doing instead of that? She was playing with kids' craft paint making a sign for Christmas...we really know who is the mom in that household.

I noticed that nice bearded young guy in the back during the "sing along" ....hope he is a potential suitor for Jing or Jana...what a nice Christmas gift for either of them...a ticket OUT OF THERE.

Thanks, Jellybeans, and a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwanzaa and a healthy New Year to you all too.

I enjoy reading ALL of your posts, points of view and very funny, inventive comments here. I also respect them.

• Love 5

Pants for the girls along with registration to public school. NO more homefoolingskooling!

Same for the boys----a real education that takes place in a real school.

It doesn't have to take place at a real school but their education is lacking. I agree send them to public school. They would all be behind and probably would need a ton of services and wouldn't even wake up on time

• Love 1

Not sure where to post this one.  Watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas" tonight, for some reason the kids just made me think of the Duggar kids.  It started with Sally - I was just thinking how much she looked like Josie, and it just snowballed from there.

The fried chicken salad

Wow! I'm so glad someone made a tutorial for how to cut up vegetables and dump pre-cooked chicken nuggets on top of it!  I never would have figured out that complicated process on my own!  Of course, compared to taking an angel food cake out of the packaging and smearing it with pre-made frosting, I suppose this was one of her more complicated recipes.

• Love 3

Wow! I'm so glad someone made a tutorial for how to cut up vegetables and dump pre-cooked chicken nuggets on top of it! I never would have figured out that complicated process on my own! Of course, compared to taking an angel food cake out of the packaging and smearing it with pre-made frosting, I suppose this was one of her more complicated recipes.

Sigh. This is how my mother cooks. Compared to my father's mother's cooking- it's night and day. I mean, my mother's husband goes on about how hard she works to make a cake from a box and ice it while my paternal grandma is Indian with an African husband; she has about four vegetables plus a couple proteins per meal- all fresh. Yes, she loves rice, too, but it's balanced. Then, there's chocolate and fruit after the meal. I get chubby when they visit, but it's so much better than instant potatoes :( but, I've got to see my Christian side rather than my Muslim side at Christmas! I want curry back in my tummy :(

• Love 1

Make room for me at the table the next time she makes curry!  I could eat Indian every day of my life, I think.

I don't mind the easy "rip and dump" meal.  I do it OFTEN as a working mom. (In fact, I'd most likely not even cut up my own lettuce--just buy the pre-cut kind!)  I just think it's hilarious that someone would need a tutorial in how to do it.  

• Love 1

Make room for me at the table the next time she makes curry!  I could eat Indian every day of my life, I think.

I don't mind the easy "rip and dump" meal.  I do it OFTEN as a working mom. (In fact, I'd most likely not even cut up my own lettuce--just buy the pre-cut kind!)  I just think it's hilarious that someone would need a tutorial in how to do it.

My son started working at a small firm (about 10 people) over the summer. The president/owner is Indian, as well as is most of the staff. They go to Indian restaurants for celebrations & he's really gotten into their type of food. I think it's the first time he has tasted lamb. The office Manager occasionally brings in Indian sweets/desserts & they kidded him he probably wouldn't like them, but he did. He's really enjoying learning about a different culture. And unlike Boob & family, he doesn't make fun of it or their food.

Count me in as a "Rip & Dump" kind of cook. I thought it was funny too in the video when she was going on & on about how to cook the Chicken nuggets.

• Love 1

My son started working at a small firm (about 10 people) over the summer. The president/owner is Indian, as well as is most of the staff. They go to Indian restaurants for celebrations & he's really gotten into their type of food. I think it's the first time he has tasted lamb. The office Manager occasionally brings in Indian sweets/desserts & they kidded him he probably wouldn't like them, but he did. He's really enjoying learning about a different culture. And unlike Boob & family, he doesn't make fun of it or their food.

Count me in as a "Rip & Dump" kind of cook. I thought it was funny too in the video when she was going on & on about how to cook the Chicken nuggets.

Tell him to be mindful of the curry, once you go curry, you run to the bathroom in a hurry.

Or so I've been told.

• Love 1

Rip and dump can be quite delicious in the hands of a skilled cook who does a little here, adds a bit there, cooks a little longer on this, a little less on that. Using the mix is only the start of great things to come.

• Love 1

LMAO  Geml's post should be separated from Brian's by a couple of posters.  It seems to go with Brian's, oh, in such a funny way.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Cannot stop laughing. (and not at either post in particular, just the way the posts happened to be in order)

• Love 3

I'm a from scratch 99% of the time person. During finals a few weeks ago, I admitted to eating a jar of spaghetti-os for dinner. My friend that I told laughed and said that was about the best dirt she could have on me. (As an example, for our Friendsgiving, I made 10 different baked desserts, all completely from scratch except that I used some pre-made puff pastry, plus homemade ice cream.)

(I will admit that when I cook for myself, I might use a jarred pasta sauce that I add veg or meat to, or the occasional frozen meal from Trader Joe's. But even a quick meal for me is roasted chicken with vegetables, made from scratch)

Edited by DoctorWhovian
  • Love 2

I'm a from scratch 99% of the time person. During finals a few weeks ago, I admitted to eating a jar of spaghetti-os for dinner. My friend that I told laughed and said that was about the best dirt she could have on me. (As an example, for our Friendsgiving, I made 10 different baked desserts, all completely from scratch except that I used some pre-made puff pastry, plus homemade ice cream.)

Would you like to be my friend? 

• Love 2

I think we are forever friends. I also cook 99% from scratch. My MAJOR comfort food is Spaghetti-O's and Twinkies (frozen, please.). I keep a can of Spaghetti-O' in my desk at my office, and a Twinkee in my freezer (in case of emergency.) If I am having a bad day, I pull out the Spaghetti-O's. If I am having a REALLY bad day, I pull out the Spaghetti-O's and eat them straight from the can. That is when everybody knows to back away! :)

• Love 1

I think we are forever friends. I also cook 99% from scratch. My MAJOR comfort food is Spaghetti-O's and Twinkies (frozen, please.). I keep a can of Spaghetti-O' in my desk at my office, and a Twinkee in my freezer (in case of emergency.) If I am having a bad day, I pull out the Spaghetti-O's. If I am having a REALLY bad day, I pull out the Spaghetti-O's and eat them straight from the can. That is when everybody knows to back away! :)

I have a few comfort foods. Spaghetti-Os, Ravioli (chef Boyardee), and Kraft Mac and Cheese with Corn Dogs. Favorite things for a bad day. I don't eat straight from the can, but while it's microwaving i'll usually use a spatula to get whatever bits of sauce are left in the can.

I did not know they still made spaghetti-o's. Wow!

My favorite toxic comfort food to eat- a couple of times a year I grab a couple of Sonic corn dogs.

I try not to remember the "how they were made" episode I saw featuring corn dogs. Bleech.

Moving off topic for a bit...I had this co-worker who was fundie light. He was college educated, but completely in denial about science. He believed the moon had no effect on nature or the tides and thought the Zodiac was the work of Satan. He eventually left the company and I lost touch with him. Anywho, I was creeping on his Facebook page and learned that he's engaged. His proposal was featured on the local news. I always figured he was a major prude. So I watched the engagement video and after he proposes, his fiancee goes in for a kiss on the lips, and instead, he plops a big kiss on her forehead. So I'm pretty sure they're saving the "real kiss" for their wedding day. How precious and sweet.

Link to their proposal below:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/1mYa3XGrDew

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 3

I did not know they still made spaghetti-o's. Wow!

My favorite toxic comfort food to eat- a couple of times a year I grab a couple of Sonic corn dogs.

I try not to remember the "how they were made" episode I saw featuring corn dogs. Bleech.

I love the phrase "toxic comfort food." Obviously I can make an amazing mac and cheese from scratch, stove top or baked. But there's something about that neon orange cheese in a box that just hits my happy zone.

• Love 3

Don't know where to post this, but the pickles and hairspray FB has a link to a British family with 16 kids, called 17 kids and counting.  Very interesting, such chaos!  There doesn't seem to be a religious aspect to their family size, and the parents seem to do most of the work.  The father does a lot of cooking and feeding the kids.  12 of them attend school.  Only two are at home during the day with the mother.  The father is a baker--I don't know how they have enough money for all these kids.

The one thing I couldn't understand was they went on a camping trip to France with about 11 of the children.  Wouldn't they need passports for all those kids to do that?

No, you can travel between the UK and France without a passport. They're part of a group of countries that have an agreement.

I liked the British family, but I did see some dependence on the girls to do more household chores than the boys. The eldest daughter still living at home did a lot of the mothering. When she left for college, the two tween daughters picked up most of the cooking, while the three older boys still at home didn't appear to get any additional duties. Later, the older daughter moved back home to complete college; she was worried that something might happen where the family might need her. But at least she was getting higher education.

I'm another of the 99% from-scratch cooks. Just did a party for over 40 people at our house, lots of appetizers, carving stations with roast beef, turkey, and ham, plus all the relevant side-dishes, then about five different desserts including cheesecakes, tiramisu, chocolate truffles and a variety of cookies. Three solid days of cooking.

We were also at a Christmas party at my sister-in-law's yesterday, and my son (visiting from college) was laughing at me because every time he looked around I was scarfing down more Sam's Club pigs-in-blankets. For whatever reason, I have a total weakness for those things.

I'm another of the 99% from-scratch cooks. Just did a party for over 40 people at our house, lots of appetizers, carving stations with roast beef, turkey, and ham, plus all the relevant side-dishes, then about five different desserts including cheesecakes, tiramisu, chocolate truffles and a variety of cookies. Three solid days of cooking.

We were also at a Christmas party at my sister-in-law's yesterday, and my son (visiting from college) was laughing at me because every time he looked around I was scarfing down more Sam's Club pigs-in-blankets. For whatever reason, I have a total weakness for those things.

Can I be your friend? You sound like my sister in law. She is also a wonderful cook & loves to entertain. Her motto is give her a glass of wine & she's ready to cook. I love pigs-in-blankets too. What did Anna call them when she made them on the baby announcement episode? I'm thinking cows in blankets since she used beef hot dogs.

Carving stations and five kinds of dessert!  Plus more.  And all homemade from scratch. Jynnan, you are now officially the latest entry on my "Heroes" list. Bless your busy little cookin' heart!

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

Didn't know where to put this, but I wonder if any of the married women featured pass gas in front of their husbands. I know some women think some things should remain a mystery, but I just can't imagine it never even happening by accident - at least in the middle of the night. My dad and I fart in front of each other 24/7. It's one of the best parts of our relationship.

But, really, how would the main Duggar house not be smelly with all those people? They've got to fart even if it's alone in the bathroom.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

I'm going to need your name, address and date of your next party.... I'll bring a Tater Tot Cassie if I can have all the tiramisu to myself:)

Didn't know where to put this, but I wonder if any of the married women featured pass gas in front of their husbands. I know some women think some things should remain a mystery, but I just can't imagine it never even happening by accident - at least in the middle of the night. My dad and I fart in front of each other 24/7. It's one of the best parts of our relationship.

But, really, how would the main Duggar house not be smelly with all those people? They've got to fart even if it's alone in the bathroom.

I'm extremely confident and yet have no desire to independently verify that these people just smell.  I doubt they would notice farts, and I don't think their diet is exotic enough for anything "special".

Now that I think of it, I wonder if 120+ years ago they would have the same aroma as everyone else...  After all, they want the same "wimmen and chillen iz property" thang.  They are cultural artifacts!

This is why I said the Tebows were WAY out of the Duggars' league. Jana seems to be a lovely person, but she would be completely unprepared to be the wife of someone this prominent and public.

The Duggars would be a PR nightmare for anyone wanting to be taken seriously.
  • Love 1

They have a god ordained program to prevent such unholy happenings. I mean, can you imagine the horrour? Jedidiah fart in front of Joyanna and then...

*shudders*

Oh boy, certainly a horrible thing will happen. She might fart back at him, and then...

*quivers and sniffs silently*

I.. I can't even, I can't imagine what would happen next. T-they might laugh with each other, and...

*breaks out into tears*

I'm so sorry, I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but.

*runs away sobbing*

• Love 1