Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If the fabric has extra SPF added to it, I need to look at that company.  I bought a rashguard this year in order to protect my skin at the beach and pool.  I was tired of always getting a sunburn on the areas of my body where my sunscreen always rubbed off.  

They claim their swimwear is rated UPF 50+ which is good.  It's the highest rating clothing can have, and equivalent to a high SPF rating in sunscreen in that it blocks 98% of UV. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, EVS said:

I have some good news to share. My cancer is in remission. 

We need something  better than a heart. That is fantastic news.

25 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Me, too.  Briefly.

1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Edited by crazycatlady58
Merged posts. Tried to correct, made it worse.
  • Love 9
Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

We need something  better than a heart. That is fantastic news.

Thank you so much!  I really appreciated everyone’s support here while I was going through everything. It helped more than you all will ever know. 

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@EVS - Woo hoo!!! Thanks for sharing the good news with us!!

17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

🎉🎉🎉😊🥂💝💝💝 Yippee and congratulations for beating it. 

12 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

that is great news!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's great news @EVS! Congratulations!

Thank you all so much!

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Congrats @EVS and thank you for sharing that wonderful news with us!

7 minutes ago, Nysha said:

@EVS, that is fabulous news! I'm very happy for you.stephen colbert GIF

6 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

@EVS that is wonderful news, thanks for sharing. 🥳🎉🎈👍

Thank you all!

• Love 6

@EVS

HOORAY. HOORAY HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
🥇🎖🧨🛎🎊🎉🔔🔔🔔l

This is the best news ever! (Speaking from someone who knows how that feels)

Enjoy every minute of your well deserved celebration.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Great news, truly great @EVS !!!!

4 hours ago, Olliesmom said:

@EVS, WOW, such great news. I am so happy for you!!

4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I'm happy for you, @EVS - that peace of mind means everything.  

image.png

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Such wonderful news EVS!    AMAZING!  I’m so happy for you.  Thanks for sharing.  
😍🔔

2 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

EVS, you just lit up all our lives with your wonderful news ♥

2 hours ago, deaja said:

Congrats, @EVS!

1 hour ago, realityfan26 said:

Great news @EVS

35 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

@EVS

HOORAY. HOORAY HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
🥇🎖🧨🛎🎊🎉🔔🔔🔔l

This is the best news ever! (Speaking from someone who knows how that feels)

Enjoy every minute of your well deserved celebration.

Thank you all!

• Love 9

You ever have those days where you can’t help but laugh? It was sort of a cluster.   My sandals got lost with Amazon….message said, it might be a good idea to cancel it. I waited. Finally, they showed up tonight and are too large. 😩I have to return them.  Luckily, I found my size and reordered. I have to drive 18 miles to a place to mail back the return. Lol

My sneakers came after taking a little while and they’re  too narrow.  😔.  I have to return them too.  They’re from qvc, so I hope it’ll be easy.  

The shelves I ordered got delayed, but finally I got a message they were delivered to Home Depot on Monday and would be ready for me to pick up today.  Today, waited half hour and they couldn’t find them. Said fedex left them outside their front door and they can’t find it.  🙄 I was trying to save a few dollars and have them delivered to the store.  Lesson learned.    Now, there’re out of stock. 😆 Anyway, I found them on Amazon and ordered them there.  Just a delay to get them.  I was really looking forward to setting up my fall decor this weekend.  I found some awesome deals and think it’s going to be just lovely.   Just have to be patient.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You ever have those days where you can’t help but laugh? It was sort of a cluster.  

I found some awesome deals and think it’s going to be just lovely.   Just have to be patient.  

Sometimes online shopping is a dream, but sometimes a nightmare. Hope your new purchases go smoothly and well!

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Sometimes online shopping is a dream, but sometimes a nightmare. Hope your new purchases go smoothly and well!

So true. I’m usually pretty lucky.  Oh well, lessons learned.  

• Love 4
On 8/13/2021 at 11:25 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve read certain kinds can help. I hope it’s true.  I think I may go to televisits only for a while.  

I got impulsive and ordered these shoes today.  It’s a risk, but this is the only brand shoe I buy.  Good price.  I think today only.

https://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Mesh-Slip-On-Athletic-Mules---Zuri.product.A399302.html?sc=TSV&TZ=EST

I ordered two pairs after you posted this link and they arrived today.  They fit perfectly, which was a huge relief considering my bunions and arthritis in my feet.

One pair is on the porch and I will slip into them for all the short, doggy potty walks.  The other pair will be my indoor shoes.  My townhouse is built on a cement slab and walking on these hard, cold ceramic tiles makes my whole body hurt so indoor shoes are a must. They are super comfortable.

I love that I can just step into them!  Thank you for the link!  

I hope you get the right size!

• Love 10
On 8/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I saw elk today! But it is HAWT in Chicagoland. Cosmo isn’t happy. At least I got my steps in from the Forrest preserve since the Baby Man is only good for a trip to the yard in this weather. 

edited to add- my friend told me we don’t have elk in IL! The sign said “Do not feed the elk”!

C1149F8A-B785-41C8-BE12-13B142A033AD.jpeg

9255C67C-3D5C-4D9F-845F-D5B647AF247D.jpeg

Ooo ooo! This is something I know something about...because I'm directly descended from the Busse family! (Chicagoland people may have heard of Busse Woods and Busse Hwy, maybe?)

(I found all the following on the web, btw)

"Elk were once found throughout the state but were gone from Illinois by the early 1800s. Today, they are held in captivity by landowners, and some occasionally escape. There are no wild populations of elk in Illinois.

Cook County Commissioner William Busse brought an elk herd of nine cows and one bull from Yellowstone National Park to Elk Grove Township in 1925.

The elk were put in a 20-acre pen in what is now Grove 4 of Busse Woods where they remained until that pen was moved to its current location in 1972. The size of the herd has fluctuated from as large as 80 elk to as small as two.

Elk are the symbol for both Elk Grove Village and Elk Grove Township. Before white settlers came to the area, it was known as “Wapiti,” the Miami Indian tribe word for elk."

Ps my whole family was at the 150th Busse family reunion in 1998.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1998-06-26-9806260132-story.html

TMI? 😁 😂

• Useful 7
  • Love 4

So ..more ER adventures for the family yesterday. Mr Jyn got stung by a couple of what looked like bumblebees, which is rather puzzling, as they are generally so docile, but these more or less attacked him. He's been stung by bees plenty of times in the past (especially since we have been bee-keeping) without any reaction, but this time he got an immediate whole-body case of hives. I gave him a couple of Benadryl, and bullied him into letting me take him to the urgent care clinic (it's only five or six minutes down the road, so probably faster than an ambulance), even though he was all about just waiting until it went away, like a tough guy. But by the time we got to the car, his throat was starting to get uncomfortable, and his ears feeling all congested, so he finally got nervous. Urgent care took one look at him and immediately gave him epinephrine and oxygen, along with a couple of other things, then called an ambulance to take him to the ER. He needed another shot of epinephrine, plus steroids, but they got him stable and kept him for a few more hours for observation, but thankfully all was well after that.

I noticed that the ER was very full with people in all the corridors. The nurse mentioned that it was really busy, so I asked her if they were getting a lot of Covid cases. She said that, yes, up until a couple of days ago there were generally only two or three cases per day showing up, but that day they were up to 75. Most of them were getting discharged, so the actual hospital rooms outside of the ER were not overloaded, but since general practitioners are apparently not seeing urgent cases, just routine appointments, during the pandemic, they all end up at the ER. The only reason they managed to find an actual bed for Mr Jyn when he got there was that they knew the ambulance was on it's way. So while it's really discouraging that Covid is still spreading at the rate it is, I'm really thankful that we live in a state with a high vaccination rate, where hospitals still have the space to treat an emergency that's not Covid-related.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Glad that Mr. Jyn is okay.  I’m allergic to insect stings too, though not as much as he seems to be.  I do keep an epi pen with me.  I get nervous around stinging, flying insects. 

Our hospitals are very full with covid patients too.  Almost all are unvaxxed.  I have very deep emotions about it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Ooo ooo! This is something I know something about...because I'm directly descended from the Busse family! (Chicagoland people may have heard of Busse Woods and Busse Hwy, maybe?)

"Elk were once found throughout the state but were gone from Illinois by the early 1800s. Today, they are held in captivity by landowners, and some occasionally escape. There are no wild populations of elk in Illinois.

Cook County Commissioner William Busse brought an elk herd of nine cows and one bull from Yellowstone National Park to Elk Grove Township in 1925.

The elk were put in a 20-acre pen in what is now Grove 4 of Busse Woods where they remained until that pen was moved to its current location in 1972. The size of the herd has fluctuated from as large as 80 elk to as small as two.

Elk are the symbol for both Elk Grove Village and Elk Grove Township. Before white settlers came to the area, it was known as “Wapiti,” the Miami Indian tribe word for elk."

TMI? 😁 😂

This was fun to read - my grandmother lived in the Chicago area all her life and for all the time I knew her, she lived in Mt. Prospect with Busse Road part of the route to get there. She's been gone 11 years now and I didn't remember the name of that road until now. I always love these "what a small world" moments!

• Love 6
On 8/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, frenchtoast said:

No idea why this box is here.

RE:  People vs animal meds.  Personally, I don't think an occasion will ever arrive that I will purposely  take medicine that is made to treat animals, especially without FDA approval.  It makes no sense to me.  However, vets can and do prescribe people meds for animals.  Over the years, I have taken a prescription from the vet to the pharmacy for "people" antibiotics and pain meds for my cat.  "Lily, (feline) was typed on the label.  However, it was not covered by my "people" insurance.  But she is now on file at the pharmacy.  Luckily, she had all of her teeth removed, so she will not need the meds for her teeth again.  I'm not sure why the vet didn't give me the meds, but the pharmacist said they fill animal prescriptions somewhat regularly.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

I was always sent to the people pharmacy for the cat's insulin and syringes and prednisone.  Some things are too expensive or used too seldom for the vets to stock them or are usually cheaper for the human pharmacy to carry.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Turns out ol’ Terry Forsyth (per the Joy and Austin thread) has posted plenty on fb and his page is still up. So much for his “fb is ebil and I’m leaving” post. And to no one’s surprise, he is also a crazy Q.

74849D6F-0604-422A-991D-2104E5299520.jpeg

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

TMI? 😁 😂

How do you pronounce Busse?  I have a neighbor with that name and have never been sure if it’s Bussy, Byousey, or Bus. 

3 minutes ago, awaken said:

How do you pronounce Busse?  I have a neighbor with that name and have never been sure if it’s Bussy, Byousey, or Bus. 

My grandmother was a Busse too, pronounced Bus-see. But we’re in CT so Chicago may be different. Some of my relatives changed their name to Bush and also Busche, like the beer. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, awaken said:

We've always said "Bussy" (Bus E)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Btw, there are a lot of us.

Our 150th family reunion was so large, we made it into The Guinness Book of World records :)

• Love 9
8 hours ago, awaken said:

No idea on that pronunciation, but just popping in to say that I also have one of those last names that has an "E" at the end that no one knows what to do with. The last three letters are eke, and people invariably either make it "eckie" or "eek", when it's just "ek", so I can sympathize with that quandry.

• Love 7

My daughter is still going through her divorce. The other day they tried to hammer out custody as per their lawyers. He wants their youngest son on 7 days and off 7 days. Since he has never been willing to help with homework or even insist that it’s completed, my kid doesn’t think that’s what’s best. Her soon to be ex doesn’t value education and she married into a family that the highest level is high school. In my family everyone is expected to attain a college degree that will lead to some profession. Cut to the other kids. He stated that he thinks they are old enough not to need a father and wants nothing to do with him. He literally said he doesn’t care about them, seeing them or supporting them. That broke their hearts. Mostly the not caring to see them. The granddaughter is special needs and he also refuses to give her any financial support even though she will never be able to have a job or live on her own. The whole thing is heartbreaking. I’m trying to stay out of the details and just be there for her in whatever capacity she needs me. 
   My girl also has bad kidney stones (again) and this time might require surgery as the lithotripsy didn’t do the trick when she had it last year. Please pray for her. The stress is taking my good natured child into a nervous wreck and I’m sure it isn’t helping her health. I have offered to do whatever is necessary so she doesn’t have to worry about the three kids. She goes for a second CT scan today an they will decide what treatment she needs after the results come in. 
PS Her ex is now living with the lady he had an affair with and her 3 kids. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My daughter is still going through her divorce. The other day they tried to hammer out custody as per their lawyers. He wants their youngest son on 7 days and off 7 days. Since he has never been willing to help with homework or even insist that it’s completed, my kid doesn’t think that’s what’s best. Her soon to be ex doesn’t value education and she married into a family that the highest level is high school. In my family everyone is expected to attain a college degree that will lead to some profession. Cut to the other kids. He stated that he thinks they are old enough not to need a father and wants nothing to do with him. He literally said he doesn’t care about them, seeing them or supporting them. That broke their hearts. Mostly the not caring to see them. The granddaughter is special needs and he also refuses to give her any financial support even though she will never be able to have a job or live on her own. The whole thing is heartbreaking. I’m trying to stay out of the details and just be there for her in whatever capacity she needs me. 
   My girl also has bad kidney stones (again) and this time might require surgery as the lithotripsy didn’t do the trick when she had it last year. Please pray for her. The stress is taking my good natured child into a nervous wreck and I’m sure it isn’t helping her health. I have offered to do whatever is necessary so she doesn’t have to worry about the three kids. She goes for a second CT scan today an they will decide what treatment she needs after the results come in. 
PS Her ex is now living with the lady he had an affair with and her 3 kids. 

I don't know where you or your daughter live but I want to go find her ex and kick him in a VERY  sensitive place.

• Love 17