Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, whydoiwatch said:

My dog died Thursday. She had a great life.  We had 15 1/2 years together. She was loyal and fun. We had great walks together. Every time I returned home she was excited to see me. She loved me unconditionally. I miss her terribly and feel kind of numb right now.     (I hate Jill R for the way she treats their dachshund.)                                          image.jpeg.e1d0166185a744e60988a02756ff7613.jpeg

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet doggie.  I'm sure you gave her a wonderful life filled with love.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, whydoiwatch said:

My dog died Thursday. She had a great life.  We had 15 1/2 years together. She was loyal and fun. We had great walks together. Every time I returned home she was excited to see me. She loved me unconditionally. I miss her terribly and feel kind of numb right now.     (I hate Jill R for the way she treats their dachshund.)                                          image.jpeg.e1d0166185a744e60988a02756ff7613.jpeg

I’m sorry for your loss.  She looks so sweet. No doubt it will take time as you mourn your faithful companion.  

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My weather PTSD is kicking in, in the form of anxiety. I really could use a good Duggar scandal right now.

Josh is our best bet for scandal, but it could come from anywhere, possibly even the MediCorps group!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My weather PTSD is kicking in, in the form of anxiety. I really could use a good Duggar scandal right now.

Same here. Horrible anxiety the past couple days. I could use the diversion of a Duggar scandal!  

• Love 8

Yesterday they predicted that Henri would make landfall pretty much directly over our area, but it's shifted more to the East, and been downgraded to a tropical storm, so hopefully won't get too much damage. Daughter and son-in-law are over here since their neighborhood is very prone to losing power. Mom is here as well. Hope power stays on here. We've had good luck in the 8+ years we've been here, and never lost power for more than a couple of hours, so fingers crossed that our luck holds out.

• Love 17

We are still covered in smoke here.  The sun is visible today, but the mountains aren't.  I stayed home from church  as the AQI was over 300.  It just safer to stay inside.  The cats are not too happy with the closed windows, but that's the way it has to be right now.

So sorry for those who are having weather and/or fire dangers.  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.   Hope you all stay safe.  🙏

Does anyone know much about full military graveside rites?  Do they actually fire rifles?

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So sorry for those who are having weather and/or fire dangers.  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.   Hope you all stay safe.  🙏

Does anyone know much about full military graveside rites?  Do they actually fire rifles?

They don't fire actual bullets, I don't think.  But they are loud.  A 21 gun salute is usually 7 men firing 3 shots each, so you hear 7 at once times 3.  It is not one guy firing 21 times.  The ceremony is very impressive.  They fold the flag that has been on the casket with precision, and then present it to  the next of kin. At  the services that I have been to, they fire the salute while everyone was still inside, but I have never been to an outside burial with the guns.  

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When my FIL passed away, we had a full military burial for him at a a national cemetery in Rittman, Ohio. Western Reserve something. It was incredible. They had military personnel take the flag off the casket and fold it, and they had retired military do the 21 gun salute. 7 men, 3 rounds, real rifles. It was outside. They warned us it would be LOUD. They let us keep the spent shells. It was amazing. Actually, I am crying now as I type this just thinking about it.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 17
43 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

When my FIL passed away, we had a full military burial for him at a a national cemetery in Rittman, Ohio. Western Reserve something. It was incredible. They had military personnel take the flag off the casket and fold it, and they had retired military do the 21 gun salute. 7 men, 3 rounds, real rifles. It was outside. They warned us it would be LOUD. They let us keep the spent shells. It was amazing. Actually, I am crying now as I type this just thinking about it.

My experience with my FIL was almost identical.  It was in Grand Junction, CO at a veteran's cemetery.  It was very moving. There was also a group of veterans on motorcycles there to pay respects. It was all very nice and  well deserved.  My father in law had not wanted it because he felt like he didn't deserve it because he never served overseas or in combat due to epilepsy.  He served actively in army Air Corp  and was recalled into the Air Force to serve in Washington DC in the precursor of the CIA helping code and decode messages. I think this was at the beginning of the Korean conflict. He also served in the Reserves for many years. He worked for the Veteran's Administration for a while and then the Army Air Force Exchange Service for many many years. They are responsible for things like the PX's and BX's on military bases. Anyway,  more than you wanted to know but just to say his son's felt he did deserve military rites based not only on his military services but on a life time of service to veterans and active military. 

Edited by Liddy52
  • Love 17

Storm seems to be pretty much done here, though we will still get a bit more rain overnight. A bit of a nothing burger, given the amount of hype and buildup, but I guess one can't complain about being spared mayhem. We've actually had a couple of storms over the past few months which were way worse and did more damage with almost no advance hoopla. 

Most of my sunflowers are toast, but that appears to be the worst of it.

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Storm seems to be pretty much done here, though we will still get a bit more rain overnight. A bit of a nothing burger, given the amount of hype and buildup, but I guess one can't complain about being spared mayhem. We've actually had a couple of storms over the past few months which were way worse and did more damage with almost no advance hoopla. 

Yup same here. Its not going to stop anytime soon, but is on the mild side. I hope it stays this way. I guess I can cancel my call to Medic Corps. 🤣🚁

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, awaken said:

Same here. Horrible anxiety the past couple days. I could use the diversion of a Duggar scandal!  

I’m so sorry guys. I know that feeling. Be safe. 

• Love 5

My mom and I attended my friend’s mom’s 80th bday party yesterday. We hadn’t been out to a party in so long it was amazing. It was outside in the birthday woman’s backyard by her pool. I was glad my mom had fun. 

• Love 14

I appreciate the comments on the military rights.  I’m debating whether to attend the service.  Everything else is inside and I doubt many will wear masks, so the outdoor service is my only option.  I’m not big on loud gunfire these days, so…….I have a couple days to decide.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
On 8/21/2021 at 8:52 AM, whydoiwatch said:

My dog died Thursday. She had a great life.  We had 15 1/2 years together. She was loyal and fun. We had great walks together. Every time I returned home she was excited to see me. She loved me unconditionally. I miss her terribly and feel kind of numb right now.     (I hate Jill R for the way she treats their dachshund.)                                          

Animated GIF

• Love 2

Can someone please explain to me like I'm stupid how you mute or block another person on this site? I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm reading a forum for a completely different show, and there's a couple of posters on there that make me want to scream.😁

I don't even see a help section on Primetimer...I'm sure it's RIGHT THERE..but I sure as heck don't see it! Please help an old lady out!😂

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm glad you and other people seem to be okay. It's lucky things weren't worse.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Can someone please explain to me like I'm stupid how you mute or block another person on this site? I can't seem to figure it out.

Go to your name at the top right of the page.  Click on the caret to get a drop down menu.  Go down to ignored users and open that.  It has a field to add people to be ignored.  You will still see their quoted posts.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm reading a forum for a completely different show, and there's a couple of posters on there that make me want to scream.😁

I don't even see a help section on Primetimer...I'm sure it's RIGHT THERE..but I sure as heck don't see it! Please help an old lady out!😂

In the upper right you will see your user name with a drop down box.  There is an option called "Ignored Users" and you can click there to add whoever you wish to ignore.  You will not see their posts any more.

Edited by Suzn
  • Useful 5
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Go to your name at the top right of the page.  Click on the caret to get a drop down menu.  Go down to ignored users and open that.  It has a field to add people to be ignored.  You will still see their quoted posts.

2 minutes ago, Suzn said:

In the upper right you will see your user name with a drop down box.  There is an option called "Ignore User" and you can add whoever you wish to ignore.

Thank you both SO much! Now I have to go back and try to remember who the stinkers are so I can add them to my list. (I was trying to click on their little profile pics.) 😂 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

You can also hover your mouse on their avatar and there should be a choice to ignore user. (I never use the mobile site, so this is desktop only.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I recently came across a video from one of my favorite YouTubers, Emmy (of the Emmymade channel) where she tries her hand at making chocolate gravy and biscuits.

@Zella She mentions in her video that this recipe comes from the Ozarks and Appalachia so I thought you might be familiar with it and might enjoy seeing her attempt at it :)

She likes to try various recipes, often ones that might be somewhat odd or unusual, but also just numerous traditional recipes from around the world. I love the curiosity and the respect with which she approaches food (and the cultures that surround it).

I admit I was pretty excited when I saw she had made a video about a traditional dessert from my province, Quebec – it's called pouding chômeur and it's absolutely delicious. She translated the name literally (unemployed person's pudding), but it's better translated as poor man's pudding.

Pouding chômeur originated in the Great Depression and so the original recipe uses brown sugar to make the syrup (brown sugar apparently used to be less expensive than white sugar). The variation I'm most familiar with uses mostly maple syrup instead though, which also happens to be what Emmy did in her video.

Anyway, enough talking! Here are the 2 videos, in case anyone's curious:

There's a promo at the beginning so I set the video to start at the recipe (at 2:08):

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
59 minutes ago, Pinke said:

I recently came across a video from one of my favorite YouTubers, Emmy (of the Emmymade channel) where she tries her hand at making chocolate gravy and biscuits.

@Zella She mentions in her video that this recipe comes from the Ozarks and Appalachia so I thought you might be familiar with it and might enjoy seeing her attempt at it :)

She likes to try various recipes, often ones that might be somewhat odd or unusual, but also just numerous traditional recipes from around the world. I love the curiosity and the respect with which she approaches food (and the cultures that surround it).

I admit I was pretty excited when I saw she had made a video about a traditional dessert from my province, Quebec – it's called pouding chômeur and it's absolutely delicious. She translated the name literally (unemployed person's pudding), but it's better translated as poor man's pudding.

Pouding chômeur originated in the Great Depression and so the original recipe uses brown sugar to make the syrup (brown sugar apparently used to be less expensive than white sugar). The variation I'm most familiar with uses mostly maple syrup instead though, which also happens to be what Emmy did in her video.

There's a promo at the beginning so I set the video to start at the recipe (at 2:08):

Thanks! I did enjoy that. I was always a little more partial to white gravy than chocolate gravy, but biscuits with chocolate gravy is something both my grandmother and her mom makes/made. My grandmother would highly approve of Emmy noting not to overwork the biscuits. That's her number one tip. She also swears by White Lily Flour for biscuits. She used to make trips back to NC for it and has been pretty salty about the fact she can't find it here. (My offers to order it online for her have always been turned down. LOL) 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Pinke said:

I love her. I watch as many of her videos that I can. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@GeeGolly, that was my Henri experience as well. We had a couple of very short downpours and then some drizzle. Not even a lot of wind gusts. I was glad there were no power outages, at least not where I’m at. 

We had steady rain and a fair amount of wind for the entire day, but it was definitely a mild storm. Just the way I like them.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Zella said:

Thanks! I did enjoy that. I was always a little more partial to white gravy than chocolate gravy, but biscuits with chocolate gravy is something both my grandmother and her mom makes/made. My grandmother would highly approve of Emmy noting not to overwork the biscuits. That's her number one tip. She also swears by White Lily Flour for biscuits. She used to make trips back to NC for it and has been pretty salty about the fact she can't find it here. (My offers to order it online for her have always been turned down. LOL) 

@Zella, your grandmother is right!! White Lily is the best. I think I heard a few years ago that the company was bought out or merged or something with another company.  The formula or process for making it changed a little.  But it is still the only flour I will cook with. Fortunately it is readily available where I live. I also will only use Blue Plate Mayonnaise.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Jeanne Robertson,  a humorist. I read this morning that she passed away unexpectedly at age 77. My husband and I very much enjoyed her humor and were able to attend 2 of her performances and meet her. If you haven't heard any of her routines,  many of them are on YouTube.  

7 hours ago, Pinke said:

I do enjoy Emmy..she is so " stinking cute" ( one of her catch phrases).

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Jeanne Robertson,  a humorist. I read this morning that she passed away unexpectedly at age 77. My husband and I very much enjoyed her humor and were able to attend 2 of her performances and meet her. If you haven't heard any of her routines,  many of them are on YouTube.  

How sad. I learned about her ten years ago from a cousin. I watched some of her videos on YT and enjoyed them. 

ETA: I'm glad for all the folks for whom Henri's visit was not so bad after all!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

I am so sad to hear this. For awhile I was completely addicted to her YouTube videos. They never failed to put me in a better mood. If you have never seen her, I really suggest taking a look at a few of her videos. 

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 3
On 8/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, iwantcookies said:

I really hope Medicorps doesn’t go to Haiti. These people have no sense and no clue how to help. And COVID. I hope all the medicorps employees are vaccinated…

"These people"?  Can you be more specific?  As in who are you referring to and what the issue is.

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

"These people"?  Can you be more specific?  As in who are you referring to and what the issue is.

Medic Corps (not to be confused with Medicorps) is a shady charity rescue/relief organization that is staffed by Duggars and Bates men. Some of the training that they have received has been in skydiving and scuba diving, both of which are of negligible value in rescue and relief operations. Their medical training seems to be limited and on par with what I received from my local library’s babysitting class 35 years ago (some members may have more medical training but non are medical professionals). They like to take pictures of themselves helping people while asking folks to pray for them - the members of the medic corps, mind you, not the people actually affected by the disaster.

Visit the Sweet Fellowship thread for more snark on Medic Corps and their “helping.” 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

She was one of my favorites! I loved her stories of left-brain (her husband)😭

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 6

17 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Medic Corps (not to be confused with Medicorps) is a shady charity rescue/relief organization that is staffed by Duggars and Bates men. Some of the training that they have received has been in skydiving and scuba diving, both of which are of negligible value in rescue and relief operations. Their medical training seems to be limited and on par with what I received from my local library’s babysitting class 35 years ago (some memberS may have more medical training but non are medical professionals). They like to take pictures of themselves helping people while asking folks to pray for them - the members of the medic corps, mind you, not the people actually affected by the disaster.

Visit the Sweet Fellowship thread for more snark on Medic Corps and their “helping.” 

Thanks for the explanation!  (And for giving me a reason not to google anything related to the Duggars.)

• Love 3

I am so glad that Henri did not cause as much damage here on Long Island as had been expected.  I had visions of hurricane Sandy like power outages.  I lost power for 13 days during that storm.  
All we had was lots of rain and some wind.  It could have been much worse.

• Love 14

I saw elk today! But it is HAWT in Chicagoland. Cosmo isn’t happy. At least I got my steps in from the Forrest preserve since the Baby Man is only good for a trip to the yard in this weather. 

edited to add- my friend told me we don’t have elk in IL! The sign said “Do not feed the elk”!

C1149F8A-B785-41C8-BE12-13B142A033AD.jpeg

9255C67C-3D5C-4D9F-845F-D5B647AF247D.jpeg

• Love 14

If you guys may recall that Jill Duggar was advertising for a modest swimwear company called Modli. I checked out the site and was impressed- I shared with some friends that prefer to wear more modest pieces and need the coverage for sun protection. 

My friend and her wife ordered pieces for their trip to Cancun in June and were VERY PLEASED with the quality and fit of the items. They did take a while to arrive FYI. I am going to probably buy swim capris, a swim bra & swim top next year- I do like both traditional western swim wear and modest swimwear depending on what I am doing- but it’s nice to find some modest wear that has more style to it. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

If you guys may recall that Jill Duggar was advertising for a modest swimwear company called Modli. I checked out the site and was impressed- I shared with some friends that prefer to wear more modest pieces and need the coverage for sun protection. 

My friend and her wife ordered pieces for their trip to Cancun in June and were VERY PLEASED with the quality and fit of the items. They did take a while to arrive FYI. I am going to probably buy swim capris, a swim bra & swim top next year- I do like both traditional western swim wear and modest swimwear depending on what I am doing- but it’s nice to find some modest wear that has more style to it. 

If the fabric has extra SPF added to it, I need to look at that company.  I bought a rashguard this year in order to protect my skin at the beach and pool.  I was tired of always getting a sunburn on the areas of my body where my sunscreen always rubbed off.  

• Love 3