Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@sixlets, I'm sorry you're not doing well. I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts and send healing vibes your way.

I have a first-world whine. My boss has decided we've gotten lax on our clothing choices since Covid hit. She wants us to wear professional clothes on Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday is tie-dye, Thursday is college spirit, and if you're unlucky enough to work on Friday you can wear whatever you want. My problem is I've gained 20 pounds in the last year and a half, so most of my professional clothes don't fit and the ones that do are stretchy nylon tops that are more suitable for warmer weather. I'm going to my daughter's this weekend and will shop Goodwill, Salvation Army, and others, but I'm heavy and don't tolerate heat well so I'm not looking forward wearing slacks, socks, top, and blazer just to look good for a bunch of college kids who will be dressed in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops.

• Love 1

You are definitely in my thoughts, @sixlets, and I hope you will be able to get the care you need. I’m glad that Mr. sixlets is giving you support. Sending hugs to you.

This seems like a strange time for a boss to get fussy about what staff are wearing, @Nysha. And tie-dye once a week seems bizarre. Hope you will find what you need at a reasonable price at the stores you mentioned. 

• Love 12

In another thread, oily hair was being discussed . I had a person years ago who had oily hair. It would get washed, and the next day, it would look like it had been days without washing. We tried Dawn dishwashing liquid. It worked for days.  Just thought I’d share!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Baby shampoo strips oil very well also.  With the long hair they may be using a conditioning shampoo.  Some of those are so heavy that they do well for the ends, but the roots look greasy almost immediately.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

In another thread, oily hair was being discussed . I had a person years ago who had oily hair. It would get washed, and the next day, it would look like it had been days without washing. We tried Dawn dishwashing liquid. It worked for days.  Just thought I’d share!

I too, was (am) an oily haired person, but I trained my hair to be less oily. First, I mustered through any weekend I wasn't busy without washing my hair. If need be, I'd wash my 'front hairline' only, meaning my bangs and the side tendrils. I also used Head and Shoulders twice a week to confuse my scalp. After a few months I tried going to work on the second day only washing my front hairline - I made it through the day! So from them on, I I alternated between fully washed hair, and washing only the hairline hair. I continued to try and go through the weekends when I could without washing. Then I tried only washing my bangs on the second day - it worked! After a few months, I tried going to work without washing my hair on the second day. And don't laugh, but I threw baby powder in my car in case it got bad, I would have come out to the car and combed a little through it... but I didn't need too! Throughout all this I lightly conditioned my hair, but was careful to rinse thoroughly around my hairline.

After about a year and a half, I finally could go a day between hair washing. It was worth ever struggle to get here.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, sixlets said:

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes!!

Sunny-I love the shoes you chose.  They kinda look like they have cat faces on the top, too.

I have a good thought/prayer request for Mr. Six & I.  I can't go into specifics right now, so I need to keep it unspoken for the time being time.  I will say, I feel like my mental health is feeling threatened at the present.  I'm just not doing well.  Please know, I am physically safe, not in harm's way, and my husband has been amazing through it all.  I just need some time to work through some things, and everything should be handled by mid-September.  Thank you all.  We both truly appreciate it.

Sixlets, I will definitely keep you both in my prayers.  I can certainly relate. Many thoughts and prayers for your comfort and peace of mind.  Knowing others care can be such a source of comfort.  As things progress, I hope it resolves the way you want. It sounds like you are taking good care of yourself, which is crucial and smart.  God bless you both.  

• Love 10
21 hours ago, sixlets said:

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes!!

Sunny-I love the shoes you chose.  They kinda look like they have cat faces on the top, too.

I have a good thought/prayer request for Mr. Six & I.  I can't go into specifics right now, so I need to keep it unspoken for the time being time.  I will say, I feel like my mental health is feeling threatened at the present.  I'm just not doing well.  Please know, I am physically safe, not in harm's way, and my husband has been amazing through it all.  I just need some time to work through some things, and everything should be handled by mid-September.  Thank you all.  We both truly appreciate it.

Feel better. 

• Love 5

random question, totally off topic.  does anyone here use dupixent?  i have been told that using it could be a game changer with my breathing/lungs in general. i see the commercials and remember there is a list of risks. just wondering if anyone has experience with it. 

5 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I really hope Medicorps doesn’t go to Haiti. These people have no sense and no clue how to help. And COVID. I hope all the medicorps employees are vaccinated…

They're there. I've seen pictures of them praying and unloading a Coast Guard chopper. 

21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

So this is my mantra for the rest of 2021. 

"you. do. not. need. any. more. Nightmare Before Christmas. clothes."

I did buy these two items for the holiday season that fill me with GLEE. 

Pumpkin Cigarette Pants

Christmas Skirt

I am going to be so festive, in the house and on my walks with Cosmo. But I will probably wear those pants to the pumpkin patch to take photos.

@Scarlett45

Both items of clothing are quite lovely!  I may even consider purchasing the Christmas skirt for myself.  I have not purchased any new Christmas clothing in quite some time, and it may be just the thing to wear to midnight mass this year.  Hopefully we will be singing as a choir this year…

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

So this is my mantra for the rest of 2021. 

"you. do. not. need. any. more. Nightmare Before Christmas. clothes."

I did buy these two items for the holiday season that fill me with GLEE. 

Pumpkin Cigarette Pants

Christmas Skirt

I am going to be so festive, in the house and on my walks with Cosmo. But I will probably wear those pants to the pumpkin patch to take photos.

So cute!  I love Nightmare Before Christmas too.  I have NBC ornaments but no clothes and need to get some.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, zoomama said:

random question, totally off topic.  does anyone here use dupixent?  i have been told that using it could be a game changer with my breathing/lungs in general. i see the commercials and remember there is a list of risks. just wondering if anyone has experience with it. 

@zoomama:  my friend’s husband uses Dupixent for his eczema and is very pleased with it.  He doesn’t have asthma, but does have some allergies and I think he’s seen improvement with them, too.  He self injects using a pen every two weeks I believe.

I have just started using Fasenra for my asthma, which has become quite unmanageable this past year.  The doctors have said I have a combination asthma/COPD.  I have never smoked, but was exposed to second hand smoke (my mom smoked for many years).  I also received radiation treatment to the chest for Hodgkin’s lymphoma 1986-87.  Fasenra is injected once a month for the first 3 months, and then once every 8 weeks afterwards.  I will have my 3rd shot on Friday.  I have begun to notice some very small changes in my symptoms, but positive changes nonetheless. 

I chose to go to the doctor’s office for my shots, but I could administer them to myself at home.  I have to wait for 30 minutes after my shot, and then I can go home.  I always make a stop at the Michaels arts and crafts store conveniently located in the same building as the doctor.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Does anyone have any experience with Prolia? It is for osteoporosis.  I have heard/read some horror stories. My doctor would like me to start on it. I am generally a very compliant person who follows all doctor orders/ suggestions,  but I  am extremely reluctant to try the Prolia.

Edited by Liddy52
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Liddy52 said:

Does anyone have any experience with Prolia? It is for osteoporosis.  I have heard/read some horror stories. My doctor would like me to start on it. I am generally a very compliant person who follows all doctor orders/ suggestions,  but I  am extremely reluctant to try the Prolia.

I would be very careful if you decide to do this. I have given up the DEXA scans - hardly reliable and valid and don’t measure bone strength. There is a Facebook page on osteoporosis natural remedies. They are very even handed. There is another group run by a fellow who would have us all on incredibly restricted diets (not good research but a lot of followers). Also look up side effects to Prolia. You would have to stay on it the rest Of your life or another drug because of rebound fractures. A little googling will lead you to the many side effects for something that stays in your body. Of course some People don’t have problems but I’m not taking it. Do a lot of research while you are deciding. 

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, Liddy52 said:

I decided against Prolia or Fosamax. I'm taking AlgaeCal to increase bone density. I won't know until my next dexa in a couple of years if it has worked. My right hip, which had been bothering me for some time, immediately felt better after I started. I also wear a weighted vest for walking.  @lookeyloo, I have my doubts too about the scans. Just having a subsequent one on a different machine can produce different results. I'm on a FB group for AlgaeCal and I find it to be very informative and even handed, as you said (though I'm not sure if you were talking about that group). I've done a lot of research and I'm just trying to do what is best for me. I'm also on the National Osteoporosis Foundation site. Just take your time and do some research before deciding what is best for you, @Liddy52. Best of luck with your decision!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

It's been fantastic for me.  I only had a little dizziness after the first dose and have done them at home by myself after that with zero side effects.  I've had a great response in bone density recovery.   The biggest problem with it I've had is the prior approval from insurance.  The paperwork comes from the insurance, but it takes me three calls to get the receptionist to acknowledge she has to give it to someone

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I am on Boniva (like fosamax), but very nervous about it. But I’d also be nervous if not on it due to my DECA scans. I exercise four to six days a week, including weight machines and light free weights. It’s a dilemma.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 2

Thanks everyone for the input. My understanding is that I can't take Boniva because of my GERD and the medication I take for that. I have been doing  weight bearing exercises.  I take plenty of Vitamin D but Calcium supplements tend to constipated me so I only take 1 a day instead of the 2 that is the recommended dosage. I eat Greek Yogurt every day to get a little bit more calcium.  I have been looking at some of the information online. I plan to sit down with my doctor and discuss all my options and my concerns with the Prolia. Thanks, everyone.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Thanks everyone for the input. My understanding is that I can't take Boniva because of my GERD and the medication I take for that. I have been doing  weight bearing exercises.  I take plenty of Vitamin D but Calcium supplements tend to constipated me so I only take 1 a day instead of the 2 that is the recommended dosage. I eat Greek Yogurt every day to get a little bit more calcium.  I have been looking at some of the information online. I plan to sit down with my doctor and discuss all my options and my concerns with the Prolia. Thanks, everyone.

Please look at new research that has reduced the required amount of calcium supplements. It is recommended to get most or all from food. I think the amount now is 600 to 800 mg. And count this in the totals. It is not easy. I supplement with calcium hypoapaxotite (spelling?) because it is supposed to be more absorbable. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Each body is different.  I was getting adequate calcium and still went into low bone density.  My body doesn't absorb adequately from diet alone or do well with calcium pills.  The only way to know is to test and try different things. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

IMG_0685.jpg.68d8474834552cdc02be2b84e35d2f2c.jpgTonight's cat blanket.  Lily is using Flora as a pillow tonight.  They are hoping that the smoke is better tomorrow so they can sit on the window sill and watch the world.  Today the smoke was so bad I couldn't see the mountains.  Cars had to have headlights on.

• Love 9

IMG_0680.jpg.e9e9a8869a0d15cfd7f674e90e26f7f2.jpgIMG_0682.jpg.133d610595d968590e65410fa49ba6b7.jpgIMG_0683.jpg.33bb1e493be4e17406dea8fe817c7d3a.jpg

This is the sky today.  The first picture is the sun this morning.  The middle picture is across the street, and the last one is my "mountain view" this afternoon.  Really, there are beautiful mountains about 10 miles away.  It is so gloomy.  Cars need headlights, and I'm glad I can stay inside.  I bought a large Conway air purifier when I first moved here, and was starting to doubt my expenditure, but I am so glad I have it now.  Another fire has started in N California, and we are getting all the smoke (and bears).IMG_0427.jpg.974b3e0f8b78e4bd43bd8c1388b989c5.jpgThis is my usual mountain view.  Quite a difference.

5 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0680.jpg.e9e9a8869a0d15cfd7f674e90e26f7f2.jpgIMG_0682.jpg.133d610595d968590e65410fa49ba6b7.jpgIMG_0683.jpg.33bb1e493be4e17406dea8fe817c7d3a.jpg

This is the sky today.  The first picture is the sun this morning.  The middle picture is across the street, and the last one is my "mountain view" this afternoon.  Really, there are beautiful mountains about 10 miles away.  It is so gloomy.  Cars need headlights, and I'm glad I can stay inside.  I bought a large Conway air purifier when I first moved here, and was starting to doubt my expenditure, but I am so glad I have it now.  Another fire has started in N California, and we are getting all the smoke (and bears).IMG_0427.jpg.974b3e0f8b78e4bd43bd8c1388b989c5.jpgThis is my usual mountain view.  Quite a difference.

Wow. Thank you for sharing with us. I am glad you have the air filter too. 

• Love 10

I’ve been feeling really upbeat lately….not sure why. I’ve wondered if it’s my new brand of cranberry pills…☺️ Or some of the challenging work I’ve had lately.  It’s like I’ve gotten my second wind.  It’s the first time I’ve felt like myself since covid.  It’s awesome for sure!  Anyway, I had a little damper on it today, though.   It would have been my second cousin’s 70th birthday today.  She died in November from dementia after a difficult 6 year battle.  It’s just so sad and unfair.  We should be laughing and talking about the good old days. She was considerably older than me and taught me so many things growing up, like The Beatles.  She took me to see Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever.   We were both music fiends. This is one of her favorite songs.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 24
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been feeling really upbeat lately….not sure why. I’ve wondered if it’s my new brand of cranberry pills…☺️ Or some of the challenging work I’ve had lately.  It’s like I’ve gotten my second wind.  It’s the first time I’ve felt like myself since covid.  It’s awesome for sure!  Anyway, I had a little damper on it today, though.   It would have been my second cousin’s 70th birthday today.  She died in November from dementia after a difficult 6 year battle.  It’s just so sad and unfair.  We should be laughing and talking about the good old days. She was considerably older than me and taught me so many things growing up, like The Beatles.  She took me to see Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever.   We were both music fiends. This is one of her favorite songs.  

I am sorry you are missing your cousin. I understand. You were a great friend and advocate for her- not just a cousin. She was lucky to have you. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

May her memory be eternal. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

As we say in our faith "may her memory be for a blessing".

• Love 10

I appreciate your kind words.  I can’t do it today, but this weekend I’m going to raise a toast in her name.  I’m going to pull out some of her old albums and enjoy. She gave them to me and I’m honored.  She had original albums of Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper, etc.   Her celebration of life reception has been delayed due to covid.  I’m hoping that someday it’ll be safe enough for me to host it.  

• Love 18

I went to the Museum of Science and Industry yesterday to see the Mavel Exhibit with my Mom and two of my cousins (siblings to each other- I have not seen them since Feb 2020). It was wonderful to see them and hug them closely.

But my cousin M is so very sick, much sicker than he was when I saw him last. He is so skinny now, and his speech is low (his cognition is fine, but no wonder he likes to text these days). It is hard seeing loved ones so sick. 

No they did not mention the drama over our Great Aunt and my other cousins mean rude outbursts (I didnt expect them to, they have taste).

They thanked me for organizing this and inviting them. I am happy to know them and have them in my life.

• Love 16

Where I live Hurricanes are a part of life. In the NE, not so much. Make sure y’all are prepared and have a ready to go kit in place with important papers such as insurance info, current vaccination records for your pet, medicines, etc. Then be prepared for power outages. One of the best things I bought was a battery operated fan. It helped col me off enough to get some sleep in the week without AC. Also if you have pets have their carrier at the ready with a weeks supply of food and any medicines that they need. Stay safe and I hope it blows by you with minimal damage. 🙏🏻

• Love 11

My dog died Thursday. She had a great life.  We had 15 1/2 years together. She was loyal and fun. We had great walks together. Every time I returned home she was excited to see me. She loved me unconditionally. I miss her terribly and feel kind of numb right now.     (I hate Jill R for the way she treats their dachshund.)                                          image.jpeg.e1d0166185a744e60988a02756ff7613.jpeg

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

My dog died Thursday. She had a great life.  We had 15 1/2 years together. She was loyal and fun. We had great walks together. Every time I returned home she was excited to see me. She loved me unconditionally. I miss her terribly and feel kind of numb right now.     (I hate Jill R for the way she treats their dachshund.)                                          image.jpeg.e1d0166185a744e60988a02756ff7613.jpeg

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet doxie, @whydoiwatch 😢 We had a wonderful long-haired miniature dachshund many years ago. He was the sweetest natured, most loving dog I've ever had. He would just look up at you with adoring eyes. I'm glad you had 15 1/2 years together. May your memories bring you comfort. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, whydoiwatch said:

Oh what a sweet girl. I’m so very sorry. You gave her a wonderful life and she was so lucky to have you. Of course you feel numb! It’s going to take time. 

I don’t know if there’s a Heaven- but if there is all of our pets are there. 

• Love 7