Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Pumpkin works great, but maybe go easy on it because it will definitely get things moving! Greens work really well for getting things moving, too. 

If he keeps having trouble, bland meals like eggs, chicken, or fish with white rice (and possibly some veg) usually sit well on a dog’s stomach.

But to be honest, it sounds like he just had to get the cat food out of his system! 

He trusts you to help him when he’s sick, and you came through for him — sounds like you’ve really bonded ❤️

• Love 15

Ginger90, congratulations on your daughter’s new job!  That sounds as if it would be very rewarding. You must be very proud.  She’ll make such a difference in the lives’ of others.  

Well, I’m a great aunt again.  Little one arrived today, which is Earth Day!  Mom and baby are both well. What a relief.  

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can change your theme.  You have 3 choices--IPS Default, Light, or Dark.   You can change then change it.  You probably have it set to the Light (Default).  That is the one which has ads imbedded into the thread.  Those ads are what cause the jumping.  The IPS Default does not jump.

Omg you are a lifesaver! I miss the dark background but will happily trade that to get rid of those fucking ads and the constant jumping!

• Love 3

@SunnyBeBe:  

Thanks for sharing that Luther Vandross song.  It usually brings tears to my eyes.  I was 31 when my father died, and even after all these years, I miss him.  
It brings me back to what happened the night my mother died, almost 11  years after dad(both had heart attacks in the kitchen of our house).  I was driving back from my school’s end of the year party, and as I got near to my house, I noticed  lots of lightning, but no thunder or rain.  Joshua Madison’s song “You’ll Always Be Beautiful In My Eyes” was playing on the radio.  I turned onto my block, and noticed extra cars in front of the house.  My initial thought was “Which one of my brothers did something dumb?”.  My best friend’s husband volunteered to come outside and give me the news.  It was my parents 42nd wedding anniversary.

A few months later, I purchased Joshua Kadison’s cd Painted Desert Serenade.  I popped it into my CD player, and began to enjoy it.  The song before “You’ll Always Be Beautiful” was entitled “Mama’s Arms”, written by Kadison to honor his mother, who died when he was young.  

I can’t figure out how to imbed the You Tube video, but here’s the link:  

https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=kbssLGIYYxU

If the link doesn’t work, just search it on You Tube

Edited by marypat57
adding addl info
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ginger90, congratulations on your daughter’s new job!  That sounds as if it would be very rewarding. You must be very proud.  She’ll make such a difference in the lives’ of others.  

Well, I’m a great aunt again.  Little one arrived today, which is Earth Day!  Mom and baby are both well. What a relief.  

Earth Day is an excellent day to be born!  Even for those of us born on April 22 before it was Earth Day.

I remember the first Earth Day which was in the early 70's when I was attending Catholic high school.  It was all girls and had been a boarding school when it opened and was on a couple of acres of land.  The nuns decided that, in honor of the first Earth Day, all the students should go out onto the grounds and collect trash.  I am sure those of you who ever attended Catholic schools remember this kind of stuff. Just the sort of project nuns love.  So, there we were, celebrating Earth Day, walking over the grounds with trash bags, picking up trash.

• Love 13
46 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

This is the problem I'm having with the new update. Really annoying trying to figure out who the author of the post is. 

IMG_20210423_070457.jpg

Yes! That too was obnoxious. If you switch to IPS default, that goes away. The layout looks different but it is so much nicer. And no massive notifications!

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

Yes! That too was obnoxious. If you switch to IPS default, that goes away. The layout looks different but it is so much nicer. And no massive notifications!

I switched to IPS default thanks to a post in this topic a few days ago, and haven't experienced the massive notifications. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, marypat57 said:

@SunnyBeBe:  

Thanks for sharing that Luther Vandross song.  It usually brings tears to my eyes.  I was 31 when my father died, and even after all these years, I miss him.  
It brings me back to what happened the night my mother died, almost 11  years after dad(both had heart attacks in the kitchen of our house).  I was driving back from my school’s end of the year party, and as I got near to my house, I noticed  lots of lightning, but no thunder or rain.  Joshua Madison’s song “You’ll Always Be Beautiful In My Eyes” was playing on the radio.  I turned onto my block, and noticed extra cars in front of the house.  My initial thought was “Which one of my brothers did something dumb?”.  My best friend’s husband volunteered to come outside and give me the news.  It was my parents 42nd wedding anniversary.

A few months later, I purchased Joshua Kadison’s cd Painted Desert Serenade.  I popped it into my CD player, and began to enjoy it.  The song before “You’ll Always Be Beautiful” was entitled “Mama’s Arms”, written by Kadison to honor his mother, who died when he was young.  

I can’t figure out how to imbed the You Tube video, but here’s the link:  

https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=kbssLGIYYxU

If the link doesn’t work, just search it on You Tube

I couldn’t get your link to work. I’m trying another one. Hope it works.

33 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

Yes! That too was obnoxious. If you switch to IPS default, that goes away. The layout looks different but it is so much nicer. And no massive 

Nvm. Found it. 

Edited by QuinnInND

i had my second child on april 22, earth day. he was a couple weeks early and chose that day to arrive after a tragic apartment complex fire just down the street from where i lived. it was a stressful moment but he was fine, my place was uninvolved in the fire and no one i knew was injured. i remember bringing him home laying him on the front seat of my grandmothers car, wrapped in a blanket. grandma didn't see the need for a car-seat. GAH! silly me for being so compliant,  against my better judgment.  never again did any kdi of mine ride in a car without the proper car-seat in place!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I switched to IPS default thanks to a post in this topic a few days ago, and haven't experienced the massive notifications. 

I did, too, and I kind of miss the GIANT notifications. They cracked me up.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I did, too, and I kind of miss the GIANT notifications. They cracked me up.

I'm sort of enjoying the closeups on some of the profile pics. They're a lot more detailed than I expected! :D 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I’m now inspired to select an avatar for my profile.  It’s such a commitment. Lol

i got my second shingles vaccine yesterday.  I feel ok, but just very tired.  Some muscle aches, but I think that’s from all the running around, climbing stairs, etc . I did yesterday.   

• Love 13

Happy birthday, doodlebug!!

So I finally noticed the bits on the far right side of the pages now that people have mentioned before--the ones with top posters, top days, images, etc. Wtf is that? And why is it there? Some of the top posts are ones that are personal heartbreak that people have shared, I can't imagine how it would feel to have to see that post every single time you're on this site. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Happy birthday, doodlebug!!

So I finally noticed the bits on the far right side of the pages now that people have mentioned before--the ones with top posters, top days, images, etc. Wtf is that? And why is it there? Some of the top posts are ones that are personal heartbreak that people have shared, I can't imagine how it would feel to have to see that post every single time you're on this site. 

I have no idea why that added that. I absolutely hate it. 

• Love 9

Thanks for the kind wishes, everyone.  My colleagues at work decorated my office and gave me cards and we had DQ ice cream cake for lunch so it was a very good birthday.  As usual, the dogs did nothing.

Here are some pictures of my office taken yesterday, please excuse my lack of skill at photography:

birthday 21.jpg

Birthday 21 #2.jpg

birthday 3.jpg

• Love 24
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Earth Day is an excellent day to be born!  Even for those of us born on April 22 before it was Earth Day.

I remember the first Earth Day which was in the early 70's when I was attending Catholic high school.  It was all girls and had been a boarding school when it opened and was on a couple of acres of land.  The nuns decided that, in honor of the first Earth Day, all the students should go out onto the grounds and collect trash.  I am sure those of you who ever attended Catholic schools remember this kind of stuff. Just the sort of project nuns love.  So, there we were, celebrating Earth Day, walking over the grounds with trash bags, picking up trash.

Happy Belated Birthday Doodlebug!🎈🌼🎂🌏 I hope it was a nice one.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

This is the problem I'm having with the new update. Really annoying trying to figure out who the author of the post is. 

IMG_20210423_070457.jpg

Why did they make it so that only one theme works properly? I mean why give different options if they aren't all going to work?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

So using the IPS default fixed the one problem, but now, when I click on a topic with new posts, it takes me to the first page of the topic, instead of to the new post. 🤦‍♀️ 

It does unless you click on the star or bullet point at the left of the title.  It is annoying especially on mobile, but still better than thread jumping.

• Useful 5

Quick question what is the oldest pet you have or had in your lifetime?

I'll go first I have a POMERANIAN who is 21 years old and the reason why I am sure of pik pike's age is my stepmother raised and bred poms and I got him when she moved to Florida 16 years ago and he was 5 years old. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve also heard pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, but pumpkin purée) is good for dogs with upset tummies. 

My vets have recommended pumpkin, plain non-fat yogurt, and white rice.  I've been known to make doggie parfaits.  Next is parboiled chicken breast.  I usually mix the chicken and rice and if I have pumpkin or yogurt left put a dollop on top.  Then you start adding the regular dog food back in a bit at a time.  I'm used to a small dog eating half a cup of food at a time and I start by adding a half to a whole tablespoon just to see how his system is.

That's if the dog is really bad.  If not quite as bad, then you can begin farther down the process or move through it faster.  Pumpkin bulks up the stool so it's less watery.  It's therefore good for constipation, too.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

OMG! I just saw my first giant notification on my iPad. Scared the living crap out of me!

They're quite something.  I already had notifications turned off and I still get them!

1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I'll go first I have a POMERANIAN who is 21 years old and the reason why I am sure of pik pike's age is my stepmother raised and bred poms and I got him when she moved to Florida 16 years ago and he was 5 years old. 

My oldest pet was Hillary (my avatar though she was not blue IRL) who lived to 19 years, 2 months, and whom I met and first loved at age three weeks, along with her sisters Ursula and Zoe who got only 15 years plus or minus a couple of months.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It does unless you click on the star or bullet point at the left of the title.  It is annoying especially on mobile, but still better than thread jumping.

Guess I missed that. Where would that be? Sorry for the stupid question,  but the screen shattered on my phone the other day, so I probably missed it between the cracks.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

The oldest pet I had was my beloved Mr Norris (right in my photo) who made it to age 20, I had him euthanized this past June. 

@doodlebug happy belated birthday. 

My mom isn’t feeling well (I think it is grief and stress), her stomach is upset. I brought her toast and medicine this evening, and she told me how much she loved having Cosmo, what joy he brought to her life even though all she does is pet him and give him treats. I think it makes her feel like a piece of my godmother is still with us- I know I feel that way. And she says that she never expected to see Blake so sociable, but I guess at age 16, after losing both of his buddies and then having to share his home with a giant blond dog who wants to eat his food all the time, Blake takes comfort in the lap and rubbing his cheek against our cheeks constantly.  🥰

• Love 20

If I go to the IPS default, it won't let me change the font size.  That option disappears completely.  And the font is much too small.  I guess I'll have to stick with the light default and receive HUGE notifications.  At least I can increase font size.

Edited by CalicoKitty
to add more info
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Happy Birthday, @doodlebug! Your office was decorated very nicely. 

My male cat, Misha, developed urinary crystals and had to have surgery on Tuesday. He tore his catheter out yesterday so they let me bring him home today instead of Monday. 
Normally, all our cats are indoor/outdoor, but Misha can't go outside until he's cleared by the vet on May, 5th. He doesn't seem to mind, since he's sleeping on my desk, but the other cats are having a somewhat large piss & moan party. 

• Love 8

I was just reading on another show thread, and when there was a new post, it also was HUGE and stayed on the screen and didn't go away until I hit the X.  I sure hope this gets fixed soon.  (at least it was @emmawoodhouse, and she has a nice picture).

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

@doodlebug

I hope that your birthday was wonderful and that you may have many, many more of them.  

I was a junior in high school for that first Earth Day.  I went to a large coed Catholic high school that was built on a former potato farm.  I seem to remember that on the first Earth Day, that a group of students got together to clean up and maintain the courtyard.  The courtyard was an open space between the library and chapel.  

@SunnyBeBe

Thanks for adding the video/song Mama’s Arms.  I couldn’t figure out how to upload the video from YouTube..

• Love 5