Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I didn't think about looking at the address bar. Of course!

I'm guessing the Duggars pay for most of the Latin American trips. And the thing I've learned over the years is that criticizing another persons work or donations to charity is about the nastiest way to end a friendship or online conversation. EVERYONE feels that they know best how to support money going to help people less better off than another, so this is one conversation that I won't say any more about.

That's a good point.

I think if it's televised there has to be some assumption that TLC is picking up most or all of the tab or getting services comped.  There have been trips where the Duggars have gone without cameras so I believe this is one thing that they would do televised or not.  I'm on the side of the fence that says the money would be much better spent by people already on site.  Yes, I've insulted an uncle of mine who tried to get $5,000 from my parents to pay for his own evangeltourism.  He told me it was very important to his church.  A church my mother and I left years ago.  I said he could earn the money, borrow it, or let the church provide it if it was so important, but my parents needed to support themselves in their retirement.  The Duggars at least aren't begging for anyone else to support missionary vacations.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 3

Totally agree the mods are a 1000x better on this site.

Since the mission trip has been brought up on the Dill thread, I have a curious question: Who funds these trips? Is it TLC or do the Duggars pay out of pocket? The reason I ask is because it seems an incredible waste of money for fifteen Duggars to go to El Salvador just to hand out candy and soccer balls. I don't know how much tickets to Central America cost, but let's say $500. Multiply that by 10-15 people and that's $5,000-7,500. Wouldn't it be better just to donate directly to the organization? That money would go a long way down there and could even provide locals with jobs. Or am I making too much sense?

A quick google search came up with prices between $1000 and $2000 for flights from Little Rock to El Salvador. Hopefully they have found a way to get frequent flyer miles that aren't tied to having a credit card. Assuming that exists of course.

• Love 1

Would it be possible to add the thread title somewhere near "Reply to this topic box" because when you're reading several posts about a large family it's hard to remember exactly which thread you're in...at least it is for me.

Excellent idea.

I agree. I think Jana is too much of an introvert to handle the kind of lifestyle Tim leads. I'm sure he has to attend a lot of parties and charity events where socializing and schmoozing is part of the job. A wife who's a shrinking violet and not used to interacting with people from different backgrounds wouldn't do well in this setting.

I totally agree. I never bought into the Tim Tebow thing. I think he will end up with a Carrie Underwood type - a Christian who is glamorous without being too sexy, confident, and good with the public, but also someone who is comfortable talking about faith and choosing to abstain until marriage. (I realize Carrie Underwood is already married, but she is a perfect real-life example of the kind of woman Tebow will end up with. Definitely not a Duggar type.) of course this us pure speculation, but fun, nonetheless.

Edited by KittyS

I think if it's televised there has to be some assumption that TLC is picking up most or all of the tab or getting services comped.  There have been trips where the Duggars have gone without cameras so I believe this is one thing that they would do televised or not.  I'm on the side of the fence that says the money would be much better spent by people already on site.  Yes, I've insulted an uncle of mine who tried to get $5,000 from my parents to pay for his own evangeltourism.  He told me it was very important to his church.  A church my mother and I left years ago.  I said he could earn the money, borrow it, or let the church provide it if it was so important, but my parents needed to support themselves in their retirement.  The Duggars at least aren't begging for anyone else to support missionary vacations.

Do we KNOW that the Duggars pay their own way?  I'm OK if Boob pays. And I'm OK if TLC pays and the Duggars actually do something useful while they're there. But as a viewer, I'm insulted if TLC pays for a trip in which the Duggars basically have a vacation but call it a mission trip. Just my opinion, but I don't understand how this do-nothing family keeps snowing so many people into believing how wonderful they are. Even the mainstream media seem hoodwinked. Maybe they ARE the chosen people...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

DangerousMinds, on 16 Dec 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

What if the parents are each citizens of different countries? Then what?

My grandmother was born in Germany, but left with her family in 1933 because they were Jewish. I'm working on obtaining German citizenship through this. There is a hiccup in German law, however, that citizenship only passed through the father during this time, and she is my mother's mother. This is now changed, but the law for re-naturalization in Germany is that you can regain the citizenship if it would have naturally passed to you, if your family had not lost citizenship between 1933 and 1945. Which seems ridiculous because it means my cousins through my grandmothers two brothers would have no issue under this law, but those of us under my grandmother would. (Sorry, totally off topic)

Bringing this over to the prayer closet since it's going off topic where it is...sorry, I don't think I quite did it right...

Anyway, another way to end up as a dual national is to be born overseas while one's (US) parents are stationed overseas with the military. Our younger son was born in Scotland and holds US citizenship as a "US National born overseas", but unless and until he formally renounces all ties to the UK, he is considered a citizen there as well.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 1

Technically, it is illegal for an American to hold any other citizenship other than one from the USA. Doesn't mean people don't do it, but it is illegal.

I'd always thought this too - that US citizens could not hold citizenship from other countries. Then I began working in university admissions. I began seeing quite a number of international applicants who told us they held dual citizenship. One I specifically remember was US and Libyan, but there were others. Also many of our foreign students did not return to their home countries after their studies finished and in time we'd hear that some of them became US citizens while retaining their original citizenship as well. ??? Confused.

Edited by NausetGirl

Technically, it is illegal for an American to hold any other citizenship other than one from the USA. Doesn't mean people don't do it, but it is illegal.

Thing is, it's not something you generally really think about. I'm a dual national myself, having been born in England. When I got my US citizenship I had to swear to forsake all other allegiances, but in the eyes of the UK, it seems I am still entitled to rights and privileges as a citizen. When I travel there, my passport is always stamped with leave to enter the UK for an indefinite period. Actually, when my son was born in Scotland, I ended up needing a minor medical procedure done, and for some reason (I forget why it was, exactly...this was 24 years ago), it ended up being easier to get it done under National Health, which I was evidently still covered under.

Does anyone know if it's legal to have 2 passports? My son had a good friend in college who had dual citizenship - US & Italy or Spain. When they traveled with school to Italy 4yrs ago, she laughed that she had to make sure she showed them the correct passport. I think I'm remembering correctly.

I also had a good friend in school over 30 yrs ago. She was born in Germany when her Dad was stationed there in the Army. She just always said she was a U.S. citizen. Technically I guess she was a "US National born overseas" as the previous poster said her son is. Now I'll throw out another question - Are they allowed to be a U.S. president since they are to be born on American soil?

John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone and there was no problem with his presidential candidacy (although the US had territorial rights, it was not in the United States per se). 

Edited by Sew Sumi

McCain was born in the Canal Zone (a US territory at the time) and was a US citizen (his father & grandfather were both admirals in the US Navy), and he was his party's nominee in 2008.  Obama was born in Hawaii (after statehood) to a US citizen and a Kenyan national, and he was his party's nominee in 2008 & 2012.  Ted Cruz was born in Alberta (a Canadian province then and now) to a native-born US citizen and a Cuban national (or perhaps more correctly refugee, who didn't get US citizenship until 2005), and he seeks to be his party's nominee in a future leap year.  And apparently unbeknownst to him, he has dual citizenship.

Of these three, which has been most branded as alien?

<checking: yes, I'm in the right thread!>

• Love 7

I do have to give the Duggars credit here. I never read/heard them parrot that idiotic birther crap. Not even during their many speeches at the Values Voters Summit (when everyone else there took their 3rd grade ad hom potshots). 

. Now I'll throw out another question - Are they allowed to be a U.S. president since they are to be born on American soil?

I know the answer to this part is "yes". My son researched it some years ago after one of his teachers in school tried to tell him that he could not be. Not that he has any political ambitions, but it was nice to know.

He also has two birth certificates. One from the town in Scotland where he was born, and a second, "Consular report of a US national born overseas". One more thing to be careful not to lose!

Remember, when the Constitution was written, the US had only been an independent country for 11 years or so.  Thus there weren't really cases of people born "in the US" and having children elsewhere, and I suspect that's part of the reason it wasn't explicitly stated in the Constitution (which, despite claims to the contrary, isn't perfect and is very much a product of its times--"three-fifths compromise", anyone?). 

The general consensus seems to be "Yes, it appears those born elsewhere to American-citizen parents are eligible, but since the Supreme Court hasn't ruled on it yet it's still a bit up in the air".

More information:  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/aug/20/ted-cruz-born-canada-eligible-run-president/

By the way, Ted Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship a few years back.  My Canadian relatives' feelings on this were: You lot can have him!

• Love 2

I know the answer to this part is "yes". My son researched it some years ago after one of his teachers in school tried to tell him that he could not be. Not that he has any political ambitions, but it was nice to know.

He also has two birth certificates. One from the town in Scotland where he was born, and a second, "Consular report of a US national born overseas". One more thing to be careful not to lose!

Damn! You mean we can't deport Teddy back to Canada? Well, maybe some smart lawyer can figure out a way to ship him back to Cuba...

• Love 1

Any child born to parents serving overseas is not only an American citizen, but is considered to have been born on American soil for purposes of the presidency. That has been the law for decades now.

• Love 1

Not sure where to put this.  I only started watching a season or so ago as I hate the concept of overpopulation and ultra conservative beliefs of any kind.  However I love this show now.  I don't care for Mom and Dad but love those little kids and am anxiously awaiting for the first breakout rebel child. Please let it be soon.  

I've been watching for what seems a very long time, hoping to see the breakout.  I'd have settled for a move by some of the kids (adults, unmarried) to another location, or entrance to a physical college of some sort, alone, without a buddy to watch their every move.  I pretty much give up.  Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime, I fear!

• Love 1

What matters [as far as running for president] is that you're a naturally born citizen (as in, your citizenship is acquired automatically at birth).

Also, the idea that you can't have dual citizenship in the US is not true. I think it's one of those things that everyone has heard, but there was never really a real reason. And for people who have experienced immigrating to the US, it's so complicated and convoluted that it's easy to get confused. I know many people with dual citizenship, most where US was acquired secondarily. http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html 

A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.

Mods: If, in the process of discussion in a thread, the answer to another person's question would be better suited in another thread, should the answer be posted there? There is such a significant overlap between some threads that it is so easy to change topics. 

Edited by DoctorWhovian

That would be great. I posted something in the Announcements and updates, but you can post, "I'm taking this to XXX thread", copy the post you want to answer/reply to, quote it in the new thread and post your reply. (And don't hesitate to PM us mods with any questions--we're happy to help!)

See, it's just my personal opinion, but I would never donate money to charity on behalf of any couple. This includes family members. To me, that's not what donating to charity is for, and that is my opinion only, but I say it to give an example that no matter what you do, the bride and groom are likely to be critized for it.

Stossel argues that capitalism, not charity helps the poor the most.

A more modern way of saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".

And no one ever agrees on the charity chosen.

• Love 1

Stossel argues that capitalism, not charity helps the poor the most.

A more modern way of saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".

And no one ever agrees on the charity chosen.

He is correct however; I don't see a problem with the couple giving the option of donating to something important to them.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 1

For one thing, I can't imagine a charity that the Duggars would support that I personally would also want to give to.  But I can imagine that if I had a daughter who was really infatuated with the Duggar daughters and wanted to send one of the daughters a present, that I could see sending a small token gift - something along the lines of a sleeper for the baby or something small from their registry.  I would do it for the reason I imagine other parents would - because the child wants to give something to someone, and that's a spirit that you wish to encourage, even if you, as an adult, think it's a bit of eye rolling.

(For the record, my daughter is three and has no idea that the Duggars exist, I'm only saying that I could theoretically see the scenario play out in some religious households, and wouldn't hold it against another mom if she told me the above story.)

• Love 2

I realize everyone has their own opinion about giving to charities & I'd like to share my positive experience. When my father died, instead of people sending flowers, my mother wanted donations sent to our church. We were astounded how generous people were with their donations. So much so, the church was able to buy new offering plates. My mother says it makes her smile every Sunday when the plates are passed around. So instead of money spent on flowers that would have died, it went for something longer lasting. (BTW, my dad still had flowers, just a few arrangements from family.)

Regarding the previous poster about the couple that listed charities to donate to on the gift registry, I thought it was nice that it was an option. I'm sure even if someone donated to a different charity than the ones listed, the bride and groom would be OK with it.

I think we all are amazed that Jill & Jessa didn't have the option to donate to charities on their registries. (Or did they?) Just think how many $$$ could have gone to a good cause instead of the 23rd set of towels or a curling iron. I'm sure a former homeless person setting up a new home would have appreciated the towels more. Just writing this has made my blood pressure rise.

• Love 5

I realize everyone has their own opinion about giving to charities & I'd like to share my positive experience. When my father died, instead of people sending flowers, my mother wanted donations sent to our church. We were astounded how generous people were with their donations. So much so, the church was able to buy new offering plates. My mother says it makes her smile every Sunday when the plates are passed around. So instead of money spent on flowers that would have died, it went for something longer lasting. (BTW, my dad still had flowers, just a few arrangements from family.)

Regarding the previous poster about the couple that listed charities to donate to on the gift registry, I thought it was nice that it was an option. I'm sure even if someone donated to a different charity than the ones listed, the bride and groom would be OK with it.

I think we all are amazed that Jill & Jessa didn't have the option to donate to charities on their registries. (Or did they?) Just think how many $$$ could have gone to a good cause instead of the 23rd set of towels or a curling iron. I'm sure a former homeless person setting up a new home would have appreciated the towels more. Just writing this has made my blood pressure rise.

And I get this, because my parents would be the same way. But they also made the church about EVERYTHING in our lives that to some extent, I think my sisters and I would have the reaction that "Geez, we can't even have a day to die without having to think about that stupid church!!!"

I'm not saying any attitude is good or bad or right or wrong, let along what is "Christian" but I do cut the Duggar girls a little slack. They never were able to own anything their whole lives - indeed, were probably shamed for wanting to. So yeah, when they had the chance they resounded with gluttony. That's not unlike people who grew up under the Great Depression or under Communism who can't stop themselves from buying things because they don't know if the things will either be taken away, have to last the next 50 years or never be available again. It's a seige mentality, and shows again how little self control has been taught, but how much total control had been exerted.

• Love 4

This was where I was going with the original post about the donation option. First... I like that it was an option and there was still a registry with REASONABLY priced options. So if you aren't comfortable with donating you just buy a gift. And I do agree with GEML that no matter what people do someone will find it wrong. But to me the difference really showed where their hearts really are. The Duggars claim to have this incredible heart for service in a very pious, holier-than-thou way. But when the time came to get gifts they signed up for 30 - 40k worth of stuff. My cousin asked for some basic things to get started... and then thought of others. I don't think it's bad to have a registry - or to only have a registry and not a charity thing. It's just seems like their approach to wedding gifts is another example of how their actions don't match their words. 

• Love 7

The thing is, if someone made a donation to Planned Parenthood as a wedding gift, I don't think that Jill and Derick would be ok with that. Should that person get a thank you note, or does such a gift show that the giver doesn't know or care about the couple at all that he/she would give such a gift?

That's what happens when you open up charities to the lists. There are definitely charities out there that I would NOT want my name attached to in any way, and would feel hurt and angry if someone took the opportunity of a wedding, a birth or a death of my family member to do that to me. But there are also charities that I support that I realize other people - good honest, decent people - would have similar objections to and would feel hurt perhaps, to receive a request, even in a general way, that asked for a donation.

This is the problem with charities - none of them are value neutral.

• Love 2

I've actually thought about this for my wedding and the two biggest charities/organizations I support and would want people to donate to are the ASPCA and the National Parks Foundation. It's possible to find ones that are value neutral.

I don't know how they normally work but in my cousin's case there wasn't a place to add a charity not on their list. I suppose you could go somewhere else and donate in their name but it wasn't part of their 'charity registry' and nothing prevents someone from doing that even if you only register for stuff.

• Love 1

The thing is, if someone made a donation to Planned Parenthood as a wedding gift, I don't think that Jill and Derick would be ok with that. Should that person get a thank you note, or does such a gift show that the giver doesn't know or care about the couple at all that he/she would give such a gift?

That's what happens when you open up charities to the lists. There are definitely charities out there that I would NOT want my name attached to in any way, and would feel hurt and angry if someone took the opportunity of a wedding, a birth or a death of my family member to do that to me. But there are also charities that I support that I realize other people - good honest, decent people - would have similar objections to and would feel hurt perhaps, to receive a request, even in a general way, that asked for a donation.

I agree with you, I don't want my name attached to a charity I don't believe in. I would hope as Christians, Jill & Derick would find it in their hearts to thank the person if they donated to Planned Parenthood but with their beliefs, I'm not so sure they would. Planned Parenthood offers other services besides abortions but it seems like abortion is the first thing people think of when they hear that name. When I worked in a OB/gyn office, our nurse practitioner would often refer women to Planned Parenthood for gyn exams or birth control at a much reduced fee. These were women (usually early 20's, college age) that didn't have health insurance or couldn't afford to pay out of pocket. Most of the referrals were for birth control, as that can be very expensive if you have to pay out of pocket at a pharmacy.

The one thing I don't like about donating to a charity, whether in someone's name or even a charity of your choice, is you're on their mailing list what seems like forever. Instead of sending mailing after mailing, why don't they just keep the money it takes to print & mail the literature? I guess they do get money from the mailings or they wouldn't do it. But this year I did get a nice calendar and enough Christmas cards to send out from charities I did and did not donate to.

• Love 1

Attention everyone:  I will be having a Christmas Party in my heathen prayer closet on Saturday night. All of my fellow heathens are invited. Just make sure you have a designated driver to get you back to your own closet if you have a little too much Egg Nog. There will be food, games, and music. We will need to keep the noise to a respectable level so my neighbors do not call law enforcement. And please be respectful when taking pictures of your fellow party goers. I do not want to see party pictures on any social media outlets.

My fiance and I are in our mid 30's and have decided that we're not asking for gifts. We already have a well-established household and quite frankly, I'd feel like a complete asshole asking my cousins who are early 20's and struggling to pay back college loans to buy me towels and steak knives.

bigskygirl, will there be booze and dancing? Or are we doing this strictly Duggar-style? If so I'll have to dust off my hair crimper and rip apart several pairs of jeans to fashion a long, unflattering denim skirt.

• Love 5

Charities also make money by selling your name and info to other charities.

There was a documentary a few years ago about the pink ribbon campaigns (breast cancer) and how companies that sell items with proceeds that go towards breast cancer research don't always give the funds to the respective campaign. Or, they manage to sell an item that is dangerous, but people are fooled by the pink ribbon insignia. You have to be very careful about who/what you donate to. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 2

My fiance and I are in our mid 30's and have decided that we're not asking for gifts. We already have a well-established household and quite frankly, I'd feel like a complete asshole asking my cousins who are early 20's and struggling to pay back college loans to buy me towels and steak knives.

This has always made sense to me for people in your situation. I'm sure you are going to end up getting gifts anyway but again it comes down to the idea behind the request. Nothing will be perfectly implemented but you are clearly showing respect for those who really are not in a position to give you gifts when you really don't have a need for them in the first place. I just keep coming back to the Duggar's registry. It screams... yippee I get to ask for stuff which is in complete contrast to what they claim to be about. 

• Love 2

Yes, there will be booze and dancing. No long, unflattering denim skirts and matching outfits please. Try to make sure you can get home aka your own heathen prayer closet if you had too much liquid refreshments. I do not want to come out of my bedroom Sunday morning and find someone passed out on the floor.

I agree with you, I don't want my name attached to a charity I don't believe in. I would hope as Christians, Jill & Derick would find it in their hearts to thank the person if they donated to Planned Parenthood but with their beliefs, I'm not so sure they would. Planned Parenthood offers other services besides abortions but it seems like abortion is the first thing people think of when they hear that name. When I worked in a OB/gyn office, our nurse practitioner would often refer women to Planned Parenthood for gyn exams or birth control at a much reduced fee. These were women (usually early 20's, college age) that didn't have health insurance or couldn't afford to pay out of pocket. Most of the referrals were for birth control, as that can be very expensive if you have to pay out of pocket at a pharmacy.

The one thing I don't like about donating to a charity, whether in someone's name or even a charity of your choice, is you're on their mailing list what seems like forever. Instead of sending mailing after mailing, why don't they just keep the money it takes to print & mail the literature? I guess they do get money from the mailings or they wouldn't do it. But this year I did get a nice calendar and enough Christmas cards to send out from charities I did and did not donate to.

Honestly I don't think it would be unchristian of the Duggars to be upset if someone donated to PP in their name. I know I would be. While PP does do a lot of things other than abortion, their reputation of being synonymous with abortion is one of their own design. They are actively promoting and advocating for abortions. So anyone who donated to PP in the Duggars name would be doing it purposely to be offensive. It's impossible to know the Duggars and not know they are pro-life. And anyone who knows me well enough to make a charitable donation on my behalf would only choose PP if they wanted to have it be a slap in my face as well. Just like I would never donate money to a Christian organization on behalf of an atheist.  That's offensive. 

PS - I am pro-life but I am not a Duggar... like everything else they turn something rational into something psychotic.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

This is what I mean - I can think of some reason to oppose nearly every charity out there (some are stronger than others, but none are stupid reasons) depending on the person. If you didn't know the person well, and you didn't like the person's choices of charities, it's easier to buy them a gift even if it's their tenth set of toothbrushes. Who knows? Maybe they were donating the excess but simply couldn't say. (Doubtful, but a possibility.)

• Love 1