Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@zoomama that sounds very concerning about your husband, but you are certainly staying on top of things. I'm sorry you both are going through this and I hope you find answers soon!

@doodlebug, that all sounds scary, but hopeful for things to get better eventually. I saw my doctor on Monday for my annual exam. She looked exhausted! Though I think she is mostly seeing patients in the office. She said that other than the initial few weeks in March, she's been working full time. I was surprised, to say the least. I've been putting off my appointment, to limit my exposure. She also said that she would be getting the vaccine shortly, as they've begun vaccinating medical personnel in our town, as of Sunday. I have a dental appointment on 1/5 and I'm really concerned that some of her staff may have seen family over Christmas. I know that they are careful in the office, but most people seem to get exposed outside of work. I have to take off my mask when I'm in the chair for that appointment. 

Welcome to Small Talk, @Snow Fairy! I'm so sorry about the earthquake. That has to be terrifying and seems to be happening more and more in places where they don't usually occur. I hope you stay safe and that there is no further destruction or loss of life.

Today is our anniversary (43 years!) and we are having our new Sleep Number bed delivered! We are so excited. We decided to keep our old bed, which is pretty nice and to put it in the guest room, where we currently have a futon. Some day, when we can have guests again, there will be a comfy bed for our kids. Now we just have to unload the futon!

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

We didn't have such earthquakes for more than 100 years.

12 year old girl was walking in the town square  with her mother when it hit, and she was killed by the debris. This is old town, poor people with war wounds still.

I am also afraid that this will lead to even more covid cases.  Can't wait for the vaccine, al least for my parents. I like reading your experiences here

I’m so sorry for all your community is going through right now. 

• Love 7

I’ve seen some interesting things mentioned in obituaries. This one is a bit bizarre, IMO.

(deleted first name) made friends at every opportunity and leaves behind way too many to list. He also leaves behind masses of unpaid federal, state and local taxes, fines and student loans.

• LOL 11
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I’ve seen some interesting things mentioned in obituaries. This one is a bit bizarre, IMO.

(deleted first name) made friends at every opportunity and leaves behind way too many to list. He also leaves behind masses of unpaid federal, state and local taxes, fines and student loans.

A gilted spouse wrote that in thinking. “So and so fucked around a lot and didn’t pay their bills.” is how it reads to me. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

@Snow Fairy, I'm so sorry for all the injury, death, and destruction caused by the earthquake(s) and aftershocks. After I read your post, I looked up some of the news stories. It's heartbreaking to read.

Happy anniversary, @BetyBee!

@GeeGolly, it seems that as with everything else, when it comes to the vaccine, the devil is in the details. My health insurance is through  a big HMO that's always seemed to be well-managed. I've been getting update emails at least weekly and lately it seems like more often. They include links to a COVID information page on their site that you don't need to sign in to view. From that I found our state health department's COVID vaccine rollout policy on its website. Looks like I'm in Group 2, which the site estimates will be vaccinated in "Spring." I was happy to see on this morning's local news that first responders (police, fire, paramedics) - who are in Group 1B - are starting to get the vaccine here as of now. Two of my local relatives are in that group.

I'm doing what I can to mentally prepare for the coming couple of months. They are my least favorite time of the year, and this year there's no escaping winter even for a week or two by taking a trip. Not to mention the warnings I'm seeing in the news from reputable sources, that the pandemic could be as bad as ever, or even worse, after the holidays. I usually avoid New Year's resolutions. But I am nurturing a hope, which may become an intention, and give birth to a plan: that if I survive the sh*tshow of this pandemic, I want to spend the first months of 2022 somewhere warm.  In the meantime I'll continue to shelter here at home, grateful that I have a warm safe place to be. For all my griping, I am truly happy to be healthy and safe right now. 

ETA: Not all Android phones have expandable storage. Only the ones that have a slot for a micro-SD card. And I don't think the latest Android phones tend to have those.

Also, if your mobile phone was locked by your carrier when you got it, federal law requires the carrier to unlock it if your account is in good standing and you've fulfilled the original contract terms. Details here: https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking.  if you're entitled to get the phone unlocked, you have the law on your side. Or, you can let it stay locked. Your decision. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I'm also in TX. I'm 42 (almost 43) but work in a neuropsychology private practice. I received an email from a regional psychological association about getting the vaccine that indicated that psychologists/neuropsychologists fell within Phase 1 in TX, especially those who see high-risk patients. Since we're independent health care providers, it is up to us to "hunt down" the vaccine - that is, find someone who has the vaccine, contact them, and make a reservation. There were some follow-up emails from psychologists who detailed their experiences getting the vaccine in the Fort Worth area. Basically, they found themselves waiting for 3 - 4 hours in line to get the vaccine.

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the places that are providing the initial vaccines are doing it on a 'first come, first served' basis.  And, since this is early days, there is a lot of demand.  This morning on the news, there was footage of a hospital that is distributing to employees on that basis,  They showed people who had been waiting in the line for 4 hours because they knew that there would not be enough vaccine for everyone who showed up.

My employer has set it up so that we are being called based on availability and risk factors based on where we work and what we do.  I doubt they've gotten to the neuropsychologists yet; most practitioners with mainly office based practices are going to be done in January. The email contains 3 potential times when we are invited to receive our dose.  We each choose the time we want and schedule it,  I haven't heard of anyone needing to wait more than half an hour and most have told me it was minutes.  They do ask everyone to have a seat after receiving the vaccine and wait 15 minutes to be sure they don't have a severe reaction; but it seems much more efficient.   In this day and age of everything tracked electronically, you'd think that most of the sites would be using this kind of system.

46 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

A gilted spouse wrote that in thinking. “So and so fucked around a lot and didn’t pay their bills.” is how it reads to me. 

I guess that's one way of getting the last laugh on a deadbeat spouse.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Long time reader to this forum. Didn't write here until now.

Just wanted to ask for some prayers and thoughts. I live in Croatia and we have had a series of earthquakes. It's 7 am here, I am lying awake because it woke me up at 6:15. There were 3 of them.

Yesterday 6.4 destroyed Sisak and Petrinja. 7 Sead do far. We had one over 5 on Monday. 

And 5.4 9 months ago. These things do not happen here

Covid is now put to side

Welcome!  I have visited Croatia, it is a well kept secret to US travelers that Croatia is absolutely beautiful and much less expensive than other coastal areas of Europe like Greece and the Riviera.  The Croatian coast is just gorgeous, the water is so blue, so many gorgeous islands, and ancient, lovely cities.  Dubrovnik is spectacular.  The people there were also so warm and friendly and have a terrific sense of humor from my experiences.  A++++ as a tourist destination in my book.

I hope you stay safe and the earthquake damage is minimal.  I'll keep your beautiful country in my prayers.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

He sounds like he had some kind of axe to grind with the government and was proud to never pay any taxes.  

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He sounds like he had some kind of axe to grind with the government and was proud to never pay any taxes.  

Or, he may have just never bothered to pay taxes, and his family is now left to sort out the mess. Years ago I knew a woman who when I met her was married to a local lawyer; they eventually separated and divorced. At some point it was discovered that while they were married he'd not paid income taxes, I think maybe not even filed returns, for at least a few years. Yep, that was while they were married and he was in charge of their finances. He just kind of never mentioned it. I doubt he was grinding any axes, just being selfish and undisciplined and a general jerk. It was quite the mess he created. 

Thanks to all about their cell phone opinions.  I want an unlocked, 128 GB memory with a great camera.  I've read a lot about all kinds....and I haven't found one that is that good on battery. I'm used to an android, but I've gotten quite handy with my ipad too.  I bought an extended warranty on my ipad and I love the immediate response I get with any kind of issue.  For that reason, I'm leaning to iphone. 

How will my local Wallgreens keep the covid vaccine at the proper temperature?  I'm supposed to be in 1B group.  

At least 5 of my parent's neighbors have covid.  I'm not sure how they are doing.  They are all high risk people. We have have no contact with them. My oldest niece is also positive.  There was an outbreak where she worked and I was expecting it.  So far, she's doing alright.  Her brother and younger sister had it a few weeks ago and are now recovered.  They are in teens and twenties.  The two younger ones live in home with their mother and she NEVER got it!  

12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks to all about their cell phone opinions.  I want an unlocked, 128 GB memory with a great camera.  I've read a lot about all kinds....and I haven't found one that is that good on battery. I'm used to an android, but I've gotten quite handy with my ipad too.  I bought an extended warranty on my ipad and I love the immediate response I get with any kind of issue.  For that reason, I'm leaning to iphone. 

Ive had an iPhone since 2008 and I am committed, I would vote iPhone. 

There must be a lot of humidity in the air, because my oatmeal took TWICE as long to cook today! I looked up at the 33 min mark and it was not done AT ALL. Lots of snow in Chicagoland today, but its starting to melt. The walk ways are clear so my Mom will make it to PT pretty easily.

• Love 5

Well, I haven't been able to get any information about the vaccine from my endo at Duke, my primary at a Duke facility, nor my pharmacy Walgreens. And I can't even get anyone at my local health department on the phone.  Their website says that people in my group should be getting vaccine in early Jan.  But, HOW?  Where do I go?  

• Love 3

On the subject of covid. I have a friend who is 55. She's a cancer survivor, and is in good shape, physically.  I figured she'd be holed up in her house when this started. No. She and her 19 year old daughter went to Florida in April for spring break, and she went again in July by herself for "her sanity" as she put it. She got covid in October. She said she didn't know where she got it, because she doesn't go anywhere much. I think she got it at the gym because she's a gym rat. She's just now back to feeling better. Where is she off to this morning?  Vegas. On a plane. For a friend's wedding.  I just can't y'all. 

With regard to the cell phone convo. Google Pixel has an amazing camera. You'll pry my android phone out of my cold dead hands. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 7

I think that some people have a lot more laxness in their concern for survival.  I am so terrified of getting covid that....my brain doesn't even think about actually going on a vacation or attending a social event.  That's so far out of my realm of possibility.  It's difficult to imagine, but, I don't care to.  Each move that I make is a risk/benefit analysis.  For me, I avoid any unnecessary risk.  Oh, I saw a lot of celebs are vacationing in St. Barts right now.  Even with warnings to not travel, plenty of them are there.  Hmmm.......some of my favorites too, like Paul McCartney, John Legend. Lionel Richie and Amy Schumer.  

• Love 4

@Jynnan tonnix Remy is beautiful & thank you for sharing her picture.  She is really going to be a knock out when she gets older.  Her conversation with her daycare teacher was priceless and definitely tops Spurgeon's sayings.

I know I'm early but Happy New Year.  Once again you all have helped me through another wild year and just not pandemic related.  I don't know who I would talk or vent to if I didn't have all of you.  We are very lucky to have found one another through a crazy source - the Duggars. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ive had an iPhone since 2008 and I am committed, I would vote iPhone. 

My iPhone 7 is starting to have issues with battery life.   The problem is, everything after the iPhone 8 is too damned big for the human hand/handbag.  And 8s are hard to find. The new iPhone 12 Mini is small, but far more than I want to spend.  I'll keep this until it gives up the ghost.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Quof said:

My iPhone 7 is starting to have issues with battery life.   The problem is, everything after the iPhone 8 is too damned big for the human hand/handbag.  And 8s are hard to find. The new iPhone 12 Mini is small, but far more than I want to spend.  I'll keep this until it gives up the ghost.

iPhone se is small, but $400 which is too much. I agree the phones are huge now more like mini tablets. I need 64 gb or more so it has to be IPhone 8 or higher. 

or go android and spend half as much as an iPhone. But I don’t like android lol. 

• Love 2

I've never had an iPhone, which is kind of odd when you consider that my personal computers are Macs, and I really love my iPad.

My last few phones have been purchased unlocked from the Google store. I've had a Pixel 3 for a couple of years now and I really like it. As @QuinnInND said, the Pixel 3's camera is so good it's kind of amazing. My Pixel 3 is only 64GB and so far I haven't exceeded its limits. Although not long ago I looked at the storage information and see that it's getting full enough that I may go bigger with the next phone I buy.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My first thought was "there's a family who is making it very clear he had no money, to head off any freeloading relatives who come out of the woodwork." 

My dad got his first dose of the vaccine yesterday. He's retired but has kept his physician's license current, is over 65, and is in a small town where they are apparently giving it out to any type of medical professional. I dont expect to get mine until the spring, but who knows? The roll out so far has been a little messy. My nurse cousin said she only had a sore arm with the first dose but has been told to expect more side effects with the second one. She gets that in 13 days, so we'll see. Her hospital is trying to prepare for the possibility of staff being out due to the side effects, which is a little scary considering they are already stretched to the max.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My guess he spent all his time and money buying friends at his local bar.

I am in a love/hate relationship with my iPhone. I have had several and have (mostly) resigned myself to having the battery crap out in two years or less every single time. Apple got nailed for manipulating battery life but a company that big would just view the lawsuit payout as a cost of doing business. I would bet good money they’re still doing that.

It’s like buying a car...you know you’re getting screwed, it’s just a question of how much.

• Love 6

Well, well. Our governor [Colorado] has now moved people aged 70+ from the Phase 2 vaccine list to Phase 1B - along with teachers, frontline workers like grocery store staff (YAY!!), and some others. I'm over 70 so I just got "promoted," but I'm basically at the mercy of my HMO as to when I'll actually get the vaccine.

I'm just fine with being in line behind first responders and front line workers including teachers and grocery workers. Those folks don't have my luxury of staying at home and working from home, so God bless 'em and let's get 'em their shots! Here's the story: http://dpo.st/2WWisgX

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Thank you all. I am positively surprises someone knows about Croatia and has even visited. I would assume I am the only one from here who follows the Duggars...

I have a good friend who married a guy from Croatia whom she met in an online gaming group. He's about 27 years younger than she is, so, understandably some of us were concerned, but he's a great guy, and they have been married for 8 years now - together for 10. They have both gone back there a number of times to visit his family, and she thinks it is a really lovely country.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Well, well. Our governor [Colorado] has now moved people aged 70+ from the Phase 2 vaccine list to Phase 1B - along with teachers, frontline workers like grocery store staff (YAY!!), and some others. I'm over 70 so I just got "promoted," but I'm basically at the mercy of my HMO as to when I'll actually get the vaccine.

I'm just fine with being in line behind first responders and front line workers including teachers and grocery workers. Those folks don't have my luxury of staying at home and working from home, so God bless 'em and let's get 'em their shots! Here's the story: http://dpo.st/2WWisgX

Mommy Rabbittron here. The ER just told me that when I get to my room I will be getting the Covid shot.  I told the nurse to tell Polis to give my shot to someone on the front line. I  can wait to get it. 

• Love 5

@Snow Fairy, welcome!

My nephew married an absolutely gorgeous girl whose family emigrated from your country fairly recently. She’s just fabulous and up until my nephew met her, I was convinced no one was worthy of him because I am one doting auntie where he’s concerned!

I am very sad about the terrible earthquakes and I hope at least knowing you have friends here can help distract and comfort you a tiny bit. Be well, sweetie...

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Mommy Rabbittron here. The ER just told me that when I get to my room I will be getting the Covid shot.  I told the nurse to tell Polis to give my shot to someone on the front line. I  can wait to get it. 

Omigosh - sending you good wishes for getting better and getting out of there. You may want that vaccination since you're not safely at home, although I respect your willingness to wait for it. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

wait ..what? are you in the ER sick?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My first thought was that he wanted this in his obituary and he was like, "I don't have to worry about money any more. So long suckas!" So I laughed at the poor man's obituary. The other takes here are a whole different perspective!

I have a Galaxy S7 and I've had it for several years, so I know I'll have to get a new phone one of these days. I don't love change, so it's gonna be hard! I had an iPhone 5 before that and I really liked it too. I don't want a big phone, I know that. Right now my husband has a Google Pixel that is not very old and it gives him all kinds of problems. It does take great pictures....but he rarely takes any! I'm no expert on phones. Personal choices vary!

Bed came and it's all set up. Woot!

• Love 11
8 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Today is our anniversary (43 years!) and we are having our new Sleep Number bed delivered! We are so excited. We decided to keep our old bed, which is pretty nice and to put it in the guest room, where we currently have a futon. Some day, when we can have guests again, there will be a comfy bed for our kids. Now we just have to unload the futon!

Happy Anniversary Love GIF by Hallmark eCards

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

No my mom been stuck in the ER for 3 days waiting to a bed to open up on the CCU.

3 days? Bless your hearts! I thought it was terrible 2 years ago when it took about 28 hours to get my mother a room and out of the ER! 3 days must be agonizing.  So they are letting you stay with her? Some hospitals here in Georgia are not allowing anyone in with patients.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

3 days? Bless your hearts! I thought it was terrible 2 years ago when it took about 28 hours to get my mother a room and out of the ER! 3 days must be agonizing.  So they are letting you stay with her? Some hospitals here in Georgia are not allowing anyone in with patients.

DH waited in the ER hallway for over 24 hours for a room this past weekend.  and here, nobody gets past the door but the sick one. our governor announced today or yesterday that we are on lockdown highest level until further notice.  we were supposed to be stepped down yesterday. no such luck. i also learned that at the particular hospital that DH was at , they literally called in the national guard yesterday to help out. they are totally overwhelmed here. 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:37 AM, GeeGolly said:

Oh goodness at mine and my husband's ages we could fill a book with funny (sometimes embarrassing) 'fails'.

A recent one was when I was on my cellphone talking with my husband. He was on his way home and we were weighing risks of getting a treat of Dunkin coffees. In the middle of the conversation I interrupt, mildly anxious, and tell husband I can't find my phone. I'm like, hang on let me check in the living room. I get to the living room and laugh. Husband's chuckles and asked if I found it. I can hardly stop laughing long enough to remind him that I'm talking on my phone.

I once put a box of tissues in the freezer.  I later searched everywhere for it.  I don't use the freezer section often, so it was a few days before I found it.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:30 AM, emma675 said:

I can do decaf but I hate being that person at Dunkin or Starbucks in the morning asking for decaf. Half caff is even too much for me. 

On 12/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, BetyBee said:

I love coffee and I would have been thrilled to receive Starbuck's gift cards except....I just gave up coffee a few weeks ago. I am hoping that it will help my eczema and sleep issues, though I only ever drank 2-3 cups in the morning. I've been drinking herbal teas and doing fine with that.

I can't stand coffee snobs who denigrate decaf drinkers.  For years now, decaf has tasted the same as caffeinated.  (These days I can't drink anything caffeinated or eat chocolate after 4pm or I wake up at 2am.)

6 hours ago, Quof said:

It makes me laugh when I see people with monster phones.  Remember when the ideal was smaller and smaller?

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

It seems for every one person I know who gets vaccinated I find out about 3 more with covid. The beginning of the end is colliding with the third consecutive surge. 

I find myself envying folks who lived between 1920 and 2019. 

Just a few more months. Just a few more months. Just a few more months ...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Funny phone story here. I have had an iPhone for like forever and I know how to use it. I am Mac based, so everything is synced together, and I love it. Husband just learned about “the Google.” That said, Husband needed a new work phone. He had an OLD flip phone until it died. Now, Husband is a mechanic and can take apart and put together any car with a hand tied behind his back. Computers, eh, not so much. So he got his new work phone It is a JITTERBUG! You know, the senior citizens phone? I am dying here!

My husband has a TracFone. He still doesn't know how to send a text. 😂

I love my Pixel 4. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

It makes me laugh when I see people with monster phones.  Remember when the ideal was smaller and smaller?

I remember a comedian saying when we realized that we could watch porn on the phones, they started to get bigger. 😂 

• LOL 15
On 12/29/2020 at 4:22 PM, Oldernowiser said:

As I have two more days before my 2021 resolution not to say “fuck” begins...may this fucking year get the fucketty fuck out already. 

Maybe consider making that your post-COVID resolution instead of 2021? It seems like a fucking challenging time to not get to fucking swear however you fucking want, you know?

• LOL 15
3 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

I can have 1 visitor.

• Love 7

I do remember my first phone in 1993.  It was about the size of a shoe box.  It had a receiver just like a wall phone at home, that was attached to the main box by a CORD.  The keypad was on top of the receiver.  I did manage to win a few radio station contest prizes using that phone.. it was hard to fit it in your purse, though

image.jpeg

Edited by marypat57
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Phones started to. Screens.  😂

e93.png

My response about size was in response to this previous post: "I remember a comedian saying when we realized that we could watch porn on the phones, they started to get bigger. 😂 "

"they"?  I think that's just wishful thinking.  🙂 

My "they" was not referring to phones.

• LOL 4

The funniest "forgetful" story involves my dad.  He was taking a nap on the couch in his underwear when my mom asked him to go to the grocery store.  He put on his shoes, hat, got his list and then walked out the front door, across the porch, waited for the door to open, got in the car and started to back out of the driveway.  He (luckily) glanced down and realized he forgot to put on his pants.  He was laughing so hard when he came back in to finish getting dressed.

• LOL 21

I recall my large car phone. Lol

I passed a man with a homeless veteran sign today on a ramp off the interstate.  I read the sign and didn’t get a good look at him at first. So, after I got my car washed I rode back up the interstate to turn around and pass by him again to give him some cash. . I had the money in my left hand and my mask on as I approached him....then I noticed that he wasn’t wearing a mask.  So, I didn’t let down my window to give him the money.  I’m not sure that was the right thing to do, but I didn’t think it was safe with him being maskless.  How did he not realize that’s why no one was opening their window for him?

• Love 4