Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Honeycocoa

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Good news Friday! My mom had her first CT scan after three monthly chemo treatments and her small tumor has shrunk. She will do three more months of chemo and then we'll reevaluate after that. However it goes, it was nice to get good news for a change before the holidays. 

And Quof, I totally agree. I've lost a little over 50 pounds over a year and a half doing modified low carb, but I have one week every quarter that I call my carb fest. My metabolism always seems to rev up after that week.

• Like 12

Wendie Plan

WW isn't magic, it's kind of boring, but it works.  I say this as one with an incurable sweet tooth, and I also did not a single minute of exercise. 

1 minute ago, Quof said:

I'm a firm believer that a big splurge shakes up the metabolism and kick starts weight loss. 

I like how you think!

I was highly displeased to discover that, even though I have kept up with all my workouts, apparently my stress snacking this fall did bite me in my enlarged butt. I swear at my age all I have to do is glance across the room at a Trader Joe corn chip and I put on a pound. It’s not like I went bonkers, either. I am bitter.

Back to my personal austerity program. Sigh.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zoomama said:

referencing a topic in the 'other famlies' thread about covid restrictions:

'and here we are in cali, waiting for more severe lockdown that ever. 

I just read an article about that and a list of things that will be restricted.  I’m so confused. You all know I love my camping.  When WE camp, I’m very particular about who’s in my space.  We don’t hug, share spoons or beds or toilets with others.  I brought my own, thanks.   I’ve had long conversations with many, many, MANY people while camping.  My husband swears I talk to dumpsters, tree stumps and the occasional fence post.  But I don’t TOUCH people.  We don’t HANDLE Objects they’ve been holding.  I do not for the life of me understand how overnight camping affects anyone else.  I bring my own damn house for Pete’s sake!!!  I can’t even THINK what I’d have to do to contaminate someone’s else’s space.  We don’t GO camping to hold hands and sing Kum-by-ya, that’s a vicious rumor.  Most places these days, I can check in online; I don’t even hand someone a card.  I JUST reserved a spot to go see my manatee son (Kevin) in February.  I gave them a number, they gave me a spot - we’ll get there and leave (conceivably) without ever touching another human.  I “could” actually arrive, stay and leave presumably without ever talking to another human.  But.  I won’t. 

I’m sorry, I guess it’s my turn to lose my mind.  I must have Covid rage.  I read thru the California list, and it just seems that several of the things they plan to lock down (or out) are counterproductive.  If you make people feel like breathing... ANYWHERE... is prohibited... it seems like a recipe for mutiny.  For example, if someone says I can’t go camping over here in Georgia (where I assume Covid is just as deadly), I’m going to scream.  Camping.  Seriously???  So I can go to the state park and lick every tree and sneeze in every bathroom during the daytime as a visitor, but can’t go to my own dwelling to cook or sleep and contain my germs just seems.  Stupid.  
Near our property at the river is the Georgia state owned equestrian park.  It’s NOT a campground, camping isn’t allowed there.  It is strictly meant to be a place people park a truck and horse trailer, unload horse(s) and go ride trails near the river.  Load up later and go home.  During the mass shutdown, that park was closed.   CLOSED!!!  It’s a PARKING LOT!!!      I guess all the state parks were - that’s the only one I saw on a regular basis.  It’s not even MANNED!   I don’t own a horse so I shouldn’t care, but REALLY???  How is parking, unloading (or loading) your own horse in your own vehicle with your own hands conducive to the spread of a virus?

the thing is - we’re all bored out of our minds.  Why take away something completely innocuous that someone could conceivably enjoy???  That’s just MEAN.  

how about they quit worrying over stupid things like inoffensive or extremely low likelihood of spread and make a rule that there has to be a person at every retail store door with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer?  Like on a cruise.  I’m seriously irritated by this.  I could go in my local Target (if I wanted to) and touch every single item IN THE STORE with covid laden hands, but I can’t drive to a parking lot in the woods in the open air, unload Trigger and go for a ride.  Oh, and when I get through touching every thing in Target, I’m gonna use that little touch pad that’s protected by this grimy looking little plastic pad over the numbers - because OBVIOUSLY I could leave germs on the actual key pad but NOT on the protective cover.  

I hope that’s not offensive to anyone, and I hope there’s a logical reason that camping ought to be shut down that I’m just not seeing.

ppppppppllllllease make this go AWAY!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Quof said:

Wendie Plan

WW isn't magic, it's kind of boring, but it works.  I say this as one with an incurable sweet tooth, and I also did not a single minute of exercise. 

Agreed. WW is not magic ~ you get out of it what you put into it. Back in my former life, I was a WW Leader. I had popular meetings because I did not follow the rules as strongly as TPTB wanted me to... but I digress. Anyway, I used to tell my people, if they were on a plateau, to go nuts and eat more to shake up their metabolism. Go crazy, binge, whatever for one day to get it out of their system. And they always lost weight the next week.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

The campground is indeed both traveling and communal facilities.  The restrooms aren't available as that section of the parks will be completely closed.  We're supposed to stay home in our own houses as much as possible.  Not everyone takes their own self-contained house when camping.  A lot of people are using the common facilities and passing others that they don't usually live around so more mixing of viruses.  

Our county passed 2000 cases a day today.  I don't mind telling people to stay home.  I don't think it's safe for me to go to the grocery store any more.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

I think most covid restrictions discourage congregating anywhere where there are folks outside of your bubble. The emphasis is on not sharing air, as they've found the most likely transmission route in through infected droplets and aerosols being inhaled by others.

I wish the comparisons to shopping would go away though. Its not the same as most leisure activities, like church, dining out, birthday parties, camping and such. Most folks shop with intention now, going in getting what they need and leaving, if they shop at all, and most are masked. 

1 -2 Americans are dying per minute, every day. The medical community is stretched and stressed. I'm more than willing to follow all restrictions and protocols. I'd rather be part of the solution than the problem. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

I just read an article about that and a list of things that will be restricted.  I’m so confused. You all know I love my camping.  When WE camp, I’m very particular about who’s in my space.  We don’t hug, share spoons or beds or toilets with others.  I brought my own, thanks.   I’ve had long conversations with many, many, MANY people while camping.  My husband swears I talk to dumpsters, tree stumps and the occasional fence post.  But I don’t TOUCH people.  We don’t HANDLE Objects they’ve been holding.  I do not for the life of me understand how overnight camping affects anyone else.  I bring my own damn house for Pete’s sake!!!  I can’t even THINK what I’d have to do to contaminate someone’s else’s space.  We don’t GO camping to hold hands and sing Kum-by-ya, that’s a vicious rumor.  Most places these days, I can check in online; I don’t even hand someone a card.  I JUST reserved a spot to go see my manatee son (Kevin) in February.  I gave them a number, they gave me a spot - we’ll get there and leave (conceivably) without ever touching another human.  I “could” actually arrive, stay and leave presumably without ever talking to another human.  But.  I won’t. 

I’m sorry, I guess it’s my turn to lose my mind.  I must have Covid rage.  I read thru the California list, and it just seems that several of the things they plan to lock down (or out) are counterproductive.  If you make people feel like breathing... ANYWHERE... is prohibited... it seems like a recipe for mutiny.  For example, if someone says I can’t go camping over here in Georgia (where I assume Covid is just as deadly), I’m going to scream.  Camping.  Seriously???  So I can go to the state park and lick every tree and sneeze in every bathroom during the daytime as a visitor, but can’t go to my own dwelling to cook or sleep and contain my germs just seems.  Stupid.  
Near our property at the river is the Georgia state owned equestrian park.  It’s NOT a campground, camping isn’t allowed there.  It is strictly meant to be a place people park a truck and horse trailer, unload horse(s) and go ride trails near the river.  Load up later and go home.  During the mass shutdown, that park was closed.   CLOSED!!!  It’s a PARKING LOT!!!      I guess all the state parks were - that’s the only one I saw on a regular basis.  It’s not even MANNED!   I don’t own a horse so I shouldn’t care, but REALLY???  How is parking, unloading (or loading) your own horse in your own vehicle with your own hands conducive to the spread of a virus?

the thing is - we’re all bored out of our minds.  Why take away something completely innocuous that someone could conceivably enjoy???  That’s just MEAN.  

how about they quit worrying over stupid things like inoffensive or extremely low likelihood of spread and make a rule that there has to be a person at every retail store door with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer?  Like on a cruise.  I’m seriously irritated by this.  I could go in my local Target (if I wanted to) and touch every single item IN THE STORE with covid laden hands, but I can’t drive to a parking lot in the woods in the open air, unload Trigger and go for a ride.  Oh, and when I get through touching every thing in Target, I’m gonna use that little touch pad that’s protected by this grimy looking little plastic pad over the numbers - because OBVIOUSLY I could leave germs on the actual key pad but NOT on the protective cover.  

I hope that’s not offensive to anyone, and I hope there’s a logical reason that camping ought to be shut down that I’m just not seeing.

ppppppppllllllease make this go AWAY!!!!! 

It’s very restrictive because California hospitals are overwhelmed. Many are at capacity and medical staff are exhausted. This is just for a few weeks time.

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I think most covid restrictions discourage congregating anywhere where there are folks outside of your bubble. The emphasis is on not sharing air, as they've found the most likely transmission route in through infected droplets and aerosols being inhaled by others.

I wish the comparisons to shopping would go away though. Its not the same as most leisure activities, like church, dining out, birthday parties, camping and such. Most folks shop with intention now, going in getting what they need and leaving, if they shop at all, and most are masked. 

1 -2 Americans are dying per minute, every day. The medical community is stretched and stressed. I'm more than willing to follow all restrictions and protocols. I'd rather be part of the solution than the problem. 

One American is dying every 30 seconds or so, yes. And medical staff are burned out and many have gotten sick and even just quit/retired. It’s very serious out there.

• Like 11

Nothing will stop the Rods from traveling to “sing” for dinner and donations. 

Nothing. 

She cries persecution as is.

Edited by iwantcookies

There might not be a problem with camping in your own self contained camper, but will you have to stop & get gas? Use a restroom? Grab a bite to eat? Any excess traveling puts the health care system in jeopardy. If the nearest hospital to a crowded campground is a small local place, how could they handle extra people?
Some popular 2nd home areas don’t even want people quarantining in their second homes as the local healthcare system isn’t set up for the extra population.

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

There might not be a problem with camping in your own self contained camper, but will you have to stop & get gas? Use a restroom? Grab a bite to eat? Any excess traveling puts the health care system in jeopardy. If the nearest hospital to a crowded campground is a small local place, how could they handle extra people?
Some popular 2nd home areas don’t even want people quarantining in their second homes as the local healthcare system isn’t set up for the extra population.

Yes to all that. 

Pandemic fatigue is real. I'm trying to keep from going nuts, I've had some private meltdown moments, and I'm going to stick close. to. home. for the next months. Hoping not to catch the damn virus or develop some other medical problem that adds me to an already crushing caseload in a hospital. I've read that what our hospitals are facing as this wave of cases keeps rolling? It is less likely to be a scarcity of ventilators - than a scarcity of staff. Lord help us all.

At the moment I'm listening to music. I probably need to create a new playlist, but this one is fine for now. I've just been soothed by Andrea Bocelli's Besa Me Mucho. Happy sigh. Next up it's the Ronettes, Be My Baby; Ben E. King, Stand by Me; The O'Neil Twins, Jesus Dropped the Charges (from the soundtrack of Say Amen, Somebody); Willie Nelson, Big Booty; Garth Brooks, Friends in Low Places; Roseanne Cash, Wings of Angels; Paul Simon, The Obvious Child; KC & the Sunshine Band, Boogie Shoes; and a bunch more extremely assorted songs. My comfort sounds. :-)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, realityfan26 said:

100% yes to this! In the spring, people were coming from out of state to "social distance" in Arkansas national and state parks. Those assholes were flooding into all of the rural towns that border these parks, to the point that residents were putting up handwritten cardboard signs begging them to go away. It actually caused the state to have to shut down its state parks at the time in an effort to keep people away. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is not new, and still applies in the time of Covid-19. Discussion of politicians, political bodies and parties, etc is off-limits here.