Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

We went to the river last weekend in the Butterbean camper.  The water was way high and way fast and I’m way too chicken to try that.  So we didn’t kayak, but the weather was knock-out GORGEOUS.  It was just fabulous.  We’d been trying to get there forever, and it just would not work out.  The first night, there was fog, and I got a really interesting pic through the trees that I wanted to share.

I need to play with it remove the planet to the right - I just am mesmerized by this creepy-but-lovely pic for some reason.  

FD708664-4DFC-4C76-BCFD-915DE0DBA555.jpeg

That’s a gorgeous picture!!

Can I save it for a Halloween wallpaper?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

I miss going out to breakfast with my friends. That will be the first thing I do... go out to breakfast with my girlfriends! 🥞🧇🥯🍳🥚🥐🥓

That sounds really fun. I also miss hanging with my friends, but, I’d like some dancing, male energy and hot kisses. 😍

• Love 5
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

For those of you with Sleep Number beds, two questions. 

1. How did you figure out what your setting was?

2. Do you need a special frame or box spring or does it fit on "normal" beds?

I need a new mattress (oy, my aching back) and I think December or January is probably when I'll get the best deal. 

when we bought ours, we could only afford the bed itself -- no 'frame'. so i used it like that for a couple years until i bought a regular headboard, footboard and side rails. we just built it around the SN mechanisms. works just fine.  the mechanism sits on the floor and the frame goes around it. 

Edited by zoomama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

My birthday is during winter break so no school for me! 

Mine was always the week after school got out for the summer, so I never once got the privilege of bringing cupcakes and having the class sing Happy Birthday for me. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Is this the little cupcake girl that is my computer wallpaper? the one that wanted a cupcake NOW and pouted because she could not have her cupcake now?

It is!!!  Someone on this thread still has the older one where you only see her back, but Belle, Auriella and Cinderella are all bent over giving her their full attention. I forget now who told me that.  She’s the BOSS, I’m just telling you.  

14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That’s a gorgeous picture!!

Can I save it for a Halloween wallpaper?

Don’t you love it??  I could just sit and look at it for hours.  
partly my fascination with it comes from the river where it was taken.  Over the years, the family has seen and gathered much hard evidence that it was a Native American settlement at some point.  My FIL had a giant rock hollowed out as deep as a bathroom sink from grinding.  Grinding what, I don’t know.  I’m not sure how far back in history this went, or what they were capable of growing.  But whenever I’m there, I feel surrounded by spirits.  Closer to us in history is the foundation and some partial walls of an old mill house.  It was made from River rocks gathered right THERE.  (River is full of granite boulders).  Walls are 4 feet thick.  As you drive along close to the mill house, if you know to look and have some idea what it looks like, you can find the aqueduct dug out to divert the river water to the mill.   It’s just the coolest place. This is the original shot of the trees, but if you play with the lighting you can see where the cloud is coming down to hover at the river.  It was incredibly cool to BE there that night.  I loved it. 

also:  I don’t blame Sassypants AT ALL for not wanting to go to school on her bday.  Mines in summer and I was HAPOY I didn’t have to go to school for part of the day on MYYYY birthday.  My birthday:  my way.  Not in school.  And if I would have had some say-so, I would have let her stay.  I worked birthdays when I had to when I got older - I’m not sure you get permanent behavior issues to let them win sometimes.  

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Mine was always the week after school got out for the summer, so I never once got the privilege of bringing cupcakes and having the class sing Happy Birthday for me. 

Mid June? 

School now gets out before Memorial Day, but I went to school in the Dark Ages when we didn't start until after Labor Day. 😊

• Love 2
8 hours ago, rue721 said:

Hahaha I STILL take my birthday off work! 

I don’t make a big deal about my birthday, and I haven’t thrown a party since I was a kid. But my one tradition is that on my birthday, I do whatever I want!

I do too.  This year my birthday was on a Friday and even though I was working from home, I still took the day off.  I don't think my employer was thrilled that I took the time off since I was working from home, but I still ended up losing vacation days from last year (we have to take them by July 1).  

Edited by Lisa418722

My birthday is day after 4th of July so never got cupcakes at school either. In the working world lots of years my birthday is part of the holiday so the few occasions when it wasn’t, I wasn’t too happy. Plus as a child I thought all the picnics and fireworks were just for me, lol. It was a crushing realization as an adult that it wasn’t. So I’m with Kenna, you should do what you want for your birthday.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

My birthday is day after 4th of July so never got cupcakes at school either. In the working world lots of years my birthday is part of the holiday so the few occasions when it wasn’t, I wasn’t too happy. Plus as a child I thought all the picnics and fireworks were just for me, lol. It was a crushing realization as an adult that it wasn’t. So I’m with Kenna, you should do what you want for your birthday.

Ha, my birthday is the day before July 4th and I thought all of those same things!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guess who managed to lose 2lbs the week after Thanksgiving? ME! I am 4.5lbs away from my 15lbs goal by the end of the year. I feel fierce!

And I am sitting here doing fist pumps.  I’m living vicariously through you. 

• Love 5

Sorry for my dump yesterday. I'm slowly coming out of my mini funk. Got out of the house today. Spent an hour on the phone with one of my kids. And I'm okay with my husband breathing. All good things.

Again, sorry for the dump.

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Sorry for my dump yesterday. I'm slowly coming out of my mini funk. Got out of the house today. Spent an hour on the phone with one of my kids. And I'm okay with my husband breathing. All good things.

Hey, that’s what we’re here for. If it’s any consolation, today while putting together our December grocery order I asked Mr. Wiser to put bottled water for my Aerogarden on the order. He then proceeded to cross-examine this request in detail and at length in the way that only a Y-chromosomer can and I very nearly threw an iron candlestick at him while hissing “JUST ORDER THE FUCKING WATER.” I managed not to, but it was this close. And he’s a lovely person. Mostly.

So I get it, I really do.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20

referencing a topic in the 'other famlies' thread about covid restrictions:

'and here we are in cali, waiting for more severe lockdown that ever.  our governor says that if our region of the state gets to only 15% beds available in icu, we are are on mandatory stay home orders.  being out for food and medical needs are excluded.  once this happens, its 3 weeks till the next evaluation to move to a less restrictive level.  my husband will go nuts on 3 week stay home orders.....he has worked this whole time. of course he is not around the public very often.'  the plan, i think, is  for this to start probably tomorrow so it rules out any more christmas shopping for me IRL vs online. i believe the real goal is to screw up christmas gatherings for families. and i get it....we are distancing and have really one child in our 'bubble' and thats not even a perfect 'bubble'.  just not happy about it. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

But are you ok with your husband chewing? Lol.

• LOL 14
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Don’t apologize for sharing your feelings! That’s why we are here! 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, emma675 said:

For those of you with Sleep Number beds, two questions. 

1. How did you figure out what your setting was?

2. Do you need a special frame or box spring or does it fit on "normal" beds?

I need a new mattress (oy, my aching back) and I think December or January is probably when I'll get the best deal. 

Since ours is older, we did the whole process at the store.  It took roughly an hour to go through everything, and our guy took us through 3 or 4 beds.  We only got the mattress, but I would definitely get the set for the next one.  Finding your number is just trial and error, IMO.  I can't imagine anything over a 45 or 50.  Level 100 is just like laying on the sidewalk.  The sales associates are very knowledgeable, and I didn't find them to be pushy at all.  We have 3 stores relatively close, and anytime we stopped in any of them, everyone was very nice to deal with.  They are always doing sales too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guess who managed to lose 2lbs the week after Thanksgiving? ME! I am 4.5lbs away from my 15lbs goal by the end of the year. I feel fierce!

I'm a firm believer that a big splurge shakes up the metabolism and kick starts weight loss.  There's a variation of Weight Watchers called the Wendie Plan based on one big weekly blow out.  It allowed me to lose 72 pounds in 11 months, and I've just passed the 2 year mark of maintaining it within 1 pound. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, Quof said:

I'm a firm believer that a big splurge shakes up the metabolism and kick starts weight loss.  There's a variation of Weight Watchers called the Wendie Plan based on one big weekly blow out.  It allowed me to lose 72 pounds in 11 months, and I've just passed the 2 year mark of maintaining it within 1 pound. 

do tell me more! i am trying to get my mindset back on WW. i fell off after my neck surgery and i havent had the willpower to start again. 

• Love 2

Good news Friday! My mom had her first CT scan after three monthly chemo treatments and her small tumor has shrunk. She will do three more months of chemo and then we'll reevaluate after that. However it goes, it was nice to get good news for a change before the holidays. 

And Quof, I totally agree. I've lost a little over 50 pounds over a year and a half doing modified low carb, but I have one week every quarter that I call my carb fest. My metabolism always seems to rev up after that week.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Quof said:

I'm a firm believer that a big splurge shakes up the metabolism and kick starts weight loss. 

I like how you think!

I was highly displeased to discover that, even though I have kept up with all my workouts, apparently my stress snacking this fall did bite me in my enlarged butt. I swear at my age all I have to do is glance across the room at a Trader Joe corn chip and I put on a pound. It’s not like I went bonkers, either. I am bitter.

Back to my personal austerity program. Sigh.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

referencing a topic in the 'other famlies' thread about covid restrictions:

'and here we are in cali, waiting for more severe lockdown that ever. 

I just read an article about that and a list of things that will be restricted.  I’m so confused. You all know I love my camping.  When WE camp, I’m very particular about who’s in my space.  We don’t hug, share spoons or beds or toilets with others.  I brought my own, thanks.   I’ve had long conversations with many, many, MANY people while camping.  My husband swears I talk to dumpsters, tree stumps and the occasional fence post.  But I don’t TOUCH people.  We don’t HANDLE Objects they’ve been holding.  I do not for the life of me understand how overnight camping affects anyone else.  I bring my own damn house for Pete’s sake!!!  I can’t even THINK what I’d have to do to contaminate someone’s else’s space.  We don’t GO camping to hold hands and sing Kum-by-ya, that’s a vicious rumor.  Most places these days, I can check in online; I don’t even hand someone a card.  I JUST reserved a spot to go see my manatee son (Kevin) in February.  I gave them a number, they gave me a spot - we’ll get there and leave (conceivably) without ever touching another human.  I “could” actually arrive, stay and leave presumably without ever talking to another human.  But.  I won’t. 

I’m sorry, I guess it’s my turn to lose my mind.  I must have Covid rage.  I read thru the California list, and it just seems that several of the things they plan to lock down (or out) are counterproductive.  If you make people feel like breathing... ANYWHERE... is prohibited... it seems like a recipe for mutiny.  For example, if someone says I can’t go camping over here in Georgia (where I assume Covid is just as deadly), I’m going to scream.  Camping.  Seriously???  So I can go to the state park and lick every tree and sneeze in every bathroom during the daytime as a visitor, but can’t go to my own dwelling to cook or sleep and contain my germs just seems.  Stupid.  
Near our property at the river is the Georgia state owned equestrian park.  It’s NOT a campground, camping isn’t allowed there.  It is strictly meant to be a place people park a truck and horse trailer, unload horse(s) and go ride trails near the river.  Load up later and go home.  During the mass shutdown, that park was closed.   CLOSED!!!  It’s a PARKING LOT!!!      I guess all the state parks were - that’s the only one I saw on a regular basis.  It’s not even MANNED!   I don’t own a horse so I shouldn’t care, but REALLY???  How is parking, unloading (or loading) your own horse in your own vehicle with your own hands conducive to the spread of a virus?

the thing is - we’re all bored out of our minds.  Why take away something completely innocuous that someone could conceivably enjoy???  That’s just MEAN.  

how about they quit worrying over stupid things like inoffensive or extremely low likelihood of spread and make a rule that there has to be a person at every retail store door with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer?  Like on a cruise.  I’m seriously irritated by this.  I could go in my local Target (if I wanted to) and touch every single item IN THE STORE with covid laden hands, but I can’t drive to a parking lot in the woods in the open air, unload Trigger and go for a ride.  Oh, and when I get through touching every thing in Target, I’m gonna use that little touch pad that’s protected by this grimy looking little plastic pad over the numbers - because OBVIOUSLY I could leave germs on the actual key pad but NOT on the protective cover.  

I hope that’s not offensive to anyone, and I hope there’s a logical reason that camping ought to be shut down that I’m just not seeing.

ppppppppllllllease make this go AWAY!!!!! 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Quof said:

Wendie Plan

WW isn't magic, it's kind of boring, but it works.  I say this as one with an incurable sweet tooth, and I also did not a single minute of exercise. 

Agreed. WW is not magic ~ you get out of it what you put into it. Back in my former life, I was a WW Leader. I had popular meetings because I did not follow the rules as strongly as TPTB wanted me to... but I digress. Anyway, I used to tell my people, if they were on a plateau, to go nuts and eat more to shake up their metabolism. Go crazy, binge, whatever for one day to get it out of their system. And they always lost weight the next week.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

The campground is indeed both traveling and communal facilities.  The restrooms aren't available as that section of the parks will be completely closed.  We're supposed to stay home in our own houses as much as possible.  Not everyone takes their own self-contained house when camping.  A lot of people are using the common facilities and passing others that they don't usually live around so more mixing of viruses.  

Our county passed 2000 cases a day today.  I don't mind telling people to stay home.  I don't think it's safe for me to go to the grocery store any more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

I just read an article about that and a list of things that will be restricted.  I’m so confused. You all know I love my camping.  When WE camp, I’m very particular about who’s in my space.  We don’t hug, share spoons or beds or toilets with others.  I brought my own, thanks.   I’ve had long conversations with many, many, MANY people while camping.  My husband swears I talk to dumpsters, tree stumps and the occasional fence post.  But I don’t TOUCH people.  We don’t HANDLE Objects they’ve been holding.  I do not for the life of me understand how overnight camping affects anyone else.  I bring my own damn house for Pete’s sake!!!  I can’t even THINK what I’d have to do to contaminate someone’s else’s space.  We don’t GO camping to hold hands and sing Kum-by-ya, that’s a vicious rumor.  Most places these days, I can check in online; I don’t even hand someone a card.  I JUST reserved a spot to go see my manatee son (Kevin) in February.  I gave them a number, they gave me a spot - we’ll get there and leave (conceivably) without ever touching another human.  I “could” actually arrive, stay and leave presumably without ever talking to another human.  But.  I won’t. 

I’m sorry, I guess it’s my turn to lose my mind.  I must have Covid rage.  I read thru the California list, and it just seems that several of the things they plan to lock down (or out) are counterproductive.  If you make people feel like breathing... ANYWHERE... is prohibited... it seems like a recipe for mutiny.  For example, if someone says I can’t go camping over here in Georgia (where I assume Covid is just as deadly), I’m going to scream.  Camping.  Seriously???  So I can go to the state park and lick every tree and sneeze in every bathroom during the daytime as a visitor, but can’t go to my own dwelling to cook or sleep and contain my germs just seems.  Stupid.  
Near our property at the river is the Georgia state owned equestrian park.  It’s NOT a campground, camping isn’t allowed there.  It is strictly meant to be a place people park a truck and horse trailer, unload horse(s) and go ride trails near the river.  Load up later and go home.  During the mass shutdown, that park was closed.   CLOSED!!!  It’s a PARKING LOT!!!      I guess all the state parks were - that’s the only one I saw on a regular basis.  It’s not even MANNED!   I don’t own a horse so I shouldn’t care, but REALLY???  How is parking, unloading (or loading) your own horse in your own vehicle with your own hands conducive to the spread of a virus?

the thing is - we’re all bored out of our minds.  Why take away something completely innocuous that someone could conceivably enjoy???  That’s just MEAN.  

how about they quit worrying over stupid things like inoffensive or extremely low likelihood of spread and make a rule that there has to be a person at every retail store door with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer?  Like on a cruise.  I’m seriously irritated by this.  I could go in my local Target (if I wanted to) and touch every single item IN THE STORE with covid laden hands, but I can’t drive to a parking lot in the woods in the open air, unload Trigger and go for a ride.  Oh, and when I get through touching every thing in Target, I’m gonna use that little touch pad that’s protected by this grimy looking little plastic pad over the numbers - because OBVIOUSLY I could leave germs on the actual key pad but NOT on the protective cover.  

I hope that’s not offensive to anyone, and I hope there’s a logical reason that camping ought to be shut down that I’m just not seeing.

ppppppppllllllease make this go AWAY!!!!! 

It’s very restrictive because California hospitals are overwhelmed. Many are at capacity and medical staff are exhausted. This is just for a few weeks time.

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I think most covid restrictions discourage congregating anywhere where there are folks outside of your bubble. The emphasis is on not sharing air, as they've found the most likely transmission route in through infected droplets and aerosols being inhaled by others.

I wish the comparisons to shopping would go away though. Its not the same as most leisure activities, like church, dining out, birthday parties, camping and such. Most folks shop with intention now, going in getting what they need and leaving, if they shop at all, and most are masked. 

1 -2 Americans are dying per minute, every day. The medical community is stretched and stressed. I'm more than willing to follow all restrictions and protocols. I'd rather be part of the solution than the problem. 

One American is dying every 30 seconds or so, yes. And medical staff are burned out and many have gotten sick and even just quit/retired. It’s very serious out there.

• Love 17

There might not be a problem with camping in your own self contained camper, but will you have to stop & get gas? Use a restroom? Grab a bite to eat? Any excess traveling puts the health care system in jeopardy. If the nearest hospital to a crowded campground is a small local place, how could they handle extra people?
Some popular 2nd home areas don’t even want people quarantining in their second homes as the local healthcare system isn’t set up for the extra population.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
41 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

There might not be a problem with camping in your own self contained camper, but will you have to stop & get gas? Use a restroom? Grab a bite to eat? Any excess traveling puts the health care system in jeopardy. If the nearest hospital to a crowded campground is a small local place, how could they handle extra people?
Some popular 2nd home areas don’t even want people quarantining in their second homes as the local healthcare system isn’t set up for the extra population.

Yes to all that. 

Pandemic fatigue is real. I'm trying to keep from going nuts, I've had some private meltdown moments, and I'm going to stick close. to. home. for the next months. Hoping not to catch the damn virus or develop some other medical problem that adds me to an already crushing caseload in a hospital. I've read that what our hospitals are facing as this wave of cases keeps rolling? It is less likely to be a scarcity of ventilators - than a scarcity of staff. Lord help us all.

At the moment I'm listening to music. I probably need to create a new playlist, but this one is fine for now. I've just been soothed by Andrea Bocelli's Besa Me Mucho. Happy sigh. Next up it's the Ronettes, Be My Baby; Ben E. King, Stand by Me; The O'Neil Twins, Jesus Dropped the Charges (from the soundtrack of Say Amen, Somebody); Willie Nelson, Big Booty; Garth Brooks, Friends in Low Places; Roseanne Cash, Wings of Angels; Paul Simon, The Obvious Child; KC & the Sunshine Band, Boogie Shoes; and a bunch more extremely assorted songs. My comfort sounds. :-)

• Love 16
1 hour ago, realityfan26 said:

100% yes to this! In the spring, people were coming from out of state to "social distance" in Arkansas national and state parks. Those assholes were flooding into all of the rural towns that border these parks, to the point that residents were putting up handwritten cardboard signs begging them to go away. It actually caused the state to have to shut down its state parks at the time in an effort to keep people away. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Does anyone else ever write a long missive here and end up deleting because it's tl;dr? 

More often than I'd like to admit.

Your shortened version was eloquent. Thank you for your prayers for our troubled world. And for sharing what's in your heart and mind. You're good people.

• Love 16
28 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Does anyone else ever write a long missive here and end up deleting because it's tl;dr? I just did that. I'll shorten my post to simply say that I'm terrified by the increase in Covid cases and deaths. My heart breaks for all the people who have lost loved ones or become long haulers themselves. There is no such thing as too much caution during this dark, dark winter of death, imo. I pray every day for this to be over.

Yes, I sometimes do, but for me, I often add more. Because my job includes writing copious amount of notes, I tend to write short and to the point. I have found on here that, if my post is too short it sometimes comes off not as intended. I'm a straight shooter when talking too, but posts lack the affect that in person communicating has.

Hang in there BB, there's a light at the end of this dark winter. Hugs to you.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Does anyone else ever write a long missive here and end up deleting because it's tl;dr? I just did that. I'll shorten my post to simply say that I'm terrified by the increase in Covid cases and deaths. My heart breaks for all the people who have lost loved ones or become long haulers themselves. There is no such thing as too much caution during this dark, dark winter of death, imo. I pray every day for this to be over.

I wrote and deleted three different posts yesterday - you're not alone! Sometimes it helps just to type everything you're thinking to get it out and then cut, or even just delete altogether. ❤

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
48 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

I wrote and deleted three different posts yesterday - you're not alone! Sometimes it helps just to type everything you're thinking to get it out and then cut, or even just delete altogether. ❤

I think you have really hit on something here, @thehorseofpower! It really does help to type it out. It clarifies things and helps one to get to the heart of the matter. 

• Love 7