Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

The bird’s in the oven, the rolls are baked, my own secret gravy stock blend is simmering away and the stuffing is made and awaiting its turn in the oven. The house smells like butter, wine and garden sage.

It’s been such a shitty year, especially for many on this forum, as well as for so many millions we don’t know. I miss my mom. It was four years ago on Thanksgiving that we finally convinced my parents to move into assisted living...my dad died a year later, mom lasted until this summer. Doesn’t time march on...for better and for worse.

Thank you to all of you for being here, for your kindness, and our kinda odd but very real friendship. It’s meant a lot to me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Love 23
54 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Lol. Cruises are happening again in January?? 

Hee, that was my first thought, too! I can't wait to travel again. A river cruise line my friend and I have traveled on has insane black Friday deals and I'm soooo tempted to book one of the August or September ones. But there's just no guarantee yet things will be open or safe by then.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Hee, that was my first thought, too! I can't wait to travel again. A river cruise line my friend and I have traveled on has insane black Friday deals and I'm soooo tempted to book one of the August or September ones. But there's just no guarantee yet things will be open or safe by then.

Yeah I’ve got two Walt Disney World trips booked for Sept and Dec 2021 but I know I can always cancel if something happens. 

I don’t want to be the first batch of people trying anything out post pandemic. 

• Love 11

crazycarlady58 -- you are exceptional to have thought of lookeyloo in all the chaos of the day!   wishing all of my friends here a day of peace and love.

we did something cool. my neighbors are sweet folks that take good care of me/us.  so today, we bought the honey baked turkey, stuffing, potatoes, yams, peanut butter fudge and i forget what else. they bought croissants, olives (gag!), pistachio salad, cranberry salad, pumpkin pie, some other fruit pie. we split our stash into containers and they did too. then we met at our fence and traded. then, back in our homes, we served our plates then called their house on speaker phone so my husband could ask the blessing for all of us together. it was a special moment. they are all in their 70's. i just love them!

dishes are washed and we are chilling individually until coffee and pie time. hugs, friends!

• Love 22

zoomama, that is such a cool idea. I know it sucks so many of us are forgoing our usual traditions to stay safe but I feel like so many fun, new traditions are being made. 

lookeyloo, I hope today wasn't too horrible and you and the family were able to find a little bit of peace.

• Love 6

I can only locate half of my new Christmas ornaments! I’m trying not to panic. They were still in the two bags they came in when I purchased them.....I found the rest.  What a mystery.  I’m trying to stay positive.  I think the stores I got them are all sold out, so I can’t get new ones....

Hope all of you had a good Thanksgiving. I really appreciate my fellow Duggar snarkers. This place has been a much-needed refuge of sanity for me, which is deliciously ironic considering the topic that has brought us all together. 

2 hours ago, zoomama said:

crazycarlady58 -- you are exceptional to have thought of lookeyloo in all the chaos of the day!   wishing all of my friends here a day of peace and love.

we did something cool. my neighbors are sweet folks that take good care of me/us.  so today, we bought the honey baked turkey, stuffing, potatoes, yams, peanut butter fudge and i forget what else. they bought croissants, olives (gag!), pistachio salad, cranberry salad, pumpkin pie, some other fruit pie. we split our stash into containers and they did too. then we met at our fence and traded. then, back in our homes, we served our plates then called their house on speaker phone so my husband could ask the blessing for all of us together. it was a special moment. they are all in their 70's. i just love them!

dishes are washed and we are chilling individually until coffee and pie time. hugs, friends!

That's really sweet! 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Is anyone else watching the virtual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?

I had it on. I watched the Hamilton number but otherwise it was background noise. Setting aside that journalists should not be expected to dance around like morons, I was second-hand embarrassed for Hoda Kotb when she was dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld, both because she was terrible and because she didn't seem to know it. But hey, maybe she is just THAT self-confident, in which case, good for her.

34 minutes ago, Zella said:

Hope all of you had a good Thanksgiving. I really appreciate my fellow Duggar snarkers. This place has been a much-needed refuge of sanity for me, which is deliciously ironic considering the topic that has brought us all together. 

That's really sweet! 

Isn't it odd that this has become such a community? Only a few of people in my non-Internet life know about this space and I think they all think I'm a bit odd when I talk about it. They are correct, but not for the reasons they think. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow small talkers. I was a bit down today--likely grief from losing my friend and getting a stark reminder of Dad's decline both during a pandemic--but Thanksgiving still happened. My sister and I also managed a conference call so we could both talk to Dad this afternoon. Now I am looking forward to being hungry enough to have a small turkey sandwich, the true star of the day.

• Love 18

Thinking of all of my fellow small talk friends this Thanksgiving day and so grateful for you. 
I did watch the Macy’s parade. It’s always one of my favorites because of all the singing and dancing. It’s the only parade that hasn’t been cancelled as far as I can tell so far.

We had phone conversations with Mr. Dance’s family and a zoom call with mine. Then a quiet meal together. We sent a few treats over to neighbors and received some from my daughter (left on our porch) and another neighbor.

@Scarlett45, I really hope you will be able to do your Disney cruises and get a break from caretaking even before that. You are someone I really admire.

You are in my thoughts tonight, @lookeyloo. I hope you feel our love and hugs.

• Love 8
On 11/26/2020 at 9:32 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Is anyone else watching the virtual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?

I watched it for the Hamilton part only. Love me some Hamilton...and Lin-Manuel!😁

And as for this group...

Art Thank You GIF by Chibird

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9

Happy Belated Thanksgiving Everyone. I’ve cooked a few meals for others and today I’m cooking the last turkey for Mr Chemo’s family. (I’m still kind of mad that he wouldn’t go for the deal at Fresh Market where everything was done. Especially as he knew I also cooked for another family as well.) So I’m off to peel potatoes, but am in a good mood as the kitties let me sleep until 7:30. I’m just thankful that I’m well and can do it. 

I admire so many of you and wish everyone better times ahead 🥰

• Love 10

So you guys know I have recommitted to fitness and on a weight loss program for the last 5 weeks or so. I saved all my weekly WW points for thanksgiving dinner and just had one plate, and cheesecake for dessert- Im fine with that, even if I maintain this upcoming week because of the carbs/sodium.

BUT I wanted to say I woke up today with a slight headache from all the sugar! After a month of little processed food ( I do have 2tsp of sugar in my coffee daily but thats about it) my body FEELS IT. Im going to do a short workout during lunch, shower and wear a new Christmas sweater, I am not taking my Mom to PT until the evening this time.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Mindthinkr, I wish I lived near you so that I could make a Thanksgiving dinner for you, and you could take a well deserved rest from doing things from others.

It is nothing compared to what I see others on here do. I think that we are all good people. Care about others and contribute to our family, friends and community. Even during these hard times. The support given here by so many gets a lot of us through things that otherwise might take us down. We are all good eggs. (I do appreciate your thought Marge...thank you 🥰

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

oh no. Do you have a fever? do you feel badly?

No thermometer. I don’t think I have a fever. I feel sick as a dog. Tired, sluggish, cough, runny stuffy nose. 

Edited by iwantcookies
44 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

No point in getting tested there is no treatment or cure. Gonna ride it out at home. 
Sad face x 100.

There is treatment now Cookie. Plus its better to know now, so if things get worse you don't delay any care you might need. And you need to contact trace so it won't spread farther.

Where do you think you got it? At work?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10

Rant time- I have to drive out to a suburb to pick up my Bath and Body Works box with my holiday candles and soap because UPS says they cannot deliver it to the UPS store down the street from my home, NOR can they bring it to my ACTUAL HOUSE aka the "ship to" address because I would need to contact Bath and Body Works and have them change on their end.

I told the service rep that I knew this issue wasnt her fault but it was totally ridiculous that I had to work that hard for a package I had already paid for! and if the UPS store was "unavailable" for deliveries due to the peak season, IMO they should TELL customers that, I also told her I thought this was a bit of laziness on the part of UPS because every. other. package. that was tiny/light has made it to my front door without a problem but the heavy box isnt here??? 

I have a few days off from work next week SO I am going to drive to the SUBURBS to get my box before my Mom's PT.

• Love 4

Happy Thanksgiving a day late! My biopsy went fine Wednesday, I have just been extra tired the last couple days. I think I slept almost all day Wednesday. I had to do this for part of Project Yank the Uterus, because my doctor was concerned that while all of my symptoms go with fibroids, some of them could be cancer related, and he wanted to be extra sure before we moved forward with surgery (and having already had thyroid cancer, I appreciated his concern). He ran a camera in as well as getting the biopsy, and he didn't see anything that looked cancerous. We are officially waiting for the pathology results before moving forward, but I'm marking it as a positive. One step closer to getting all this mess outta me!

• Love 19
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

woke up today can’t smell or taste anything. Drinking coffee blind. Probably got COVID.

Again?  Didn't you say you'd already had it once?  I hope it's just the beginning of a cold or sinus issue.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

No point in getting tested there is no treatment or cure. Gonna ride it out at home. 

Sad face x 100.

Did you reschedule your next leg surgery? Surely they will need to give you another Covid test before surgery since you’ve been experiencing symptoms.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Rant time- I have to drive out to a suburb to pick up my Bath and Body Works box with my holiday candles and soap because UPS says they cannot deliver it to the UPS store down the street from my home, NOR can they bring it to my ACTUAL HOUSE aka the "ship to" address because I would need to contact Bath and Body Works and have them change on their end.

I told the service rep that I knew this issue wasnt her fault but it was totally ridiculous that I had to work that hard for a package I had already paid for! and if the UPS store was "unavailable" for deliveries due to the peak season, IMO they should TELL customers that, I also told her I thought this was a bit of laziness on the part of UPS because every. other. package. that was tiny/light has made it to my front door without a problem but the heavy box isnt here??? 

I have a few days off from work next week SO I am going to drive to the SUBURBS to get my box before my Mom's PT.

Well, isn’t that sixteen kinds of aggravation. Can you just refuse or cancel the order and reorder with your home address?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm thankful to all of you here, even if I'm a day late on the holiday - thankful every day.  It's nice to come and hang out and read what's going on with others, even if it's sad or grieving, because empathy can be virtual as well.  I know if makes me feel better to have someone say 'I've been where you have been' or just even say 'I'm sorry' because it does help, and to do that for others in turn.  

I'm finally taking down the Halloween decor - yeah it was up too long but I so love Halloween.  I think in Covid times we can indulge ourselves, it perks my day up to see glass pumpkins all over the place.  I'm keeping one out on my desk, it's so pretty.  Ministry was right, every day is Halloween!

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, isn’t that sixteen kinds of aggravation. Can you just refuse or cancel the order and reorder with your home address?

My home address WAS on the order! Thats the kicker!!! It was that way when I placed the original order 3 weeks ago, and Bath and Body Works is sending this replacement to me because UPS sent the original box BACK.

7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My home address WAS on the order! Thats the kicker!!! It was that way when I placed the original order 3 weeks ago, and Bath and Body Works is sending this replacement to me because UPS sent the original box BACK.

Jesus. Tis the season for screwups, I guess. Sorry, hon.

• Love 4

Which reminds me...a PSA. If anyone is getting stuff from LLBean for the holidays order ASAP and stay on top of it. I had a TERRIBLE time with them last year...they sent a shitty little child’s backpack instead the sweater I had ordered for my mom and pretty much told me too bad when I called...AND the sweater was by then out of stock. Not the only run-in I had with their Customer Service last year. That company isn’t what it once was and I say this as someone who lived in Maine for fifteen years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Great news! I found my ornaments. Yay, what a relief.  I like them so much, I wish I had bought more. 

The bath mat, I ordered to give my brother, with cabin and deer on it came on Friday, but instead of the matching hand towel with deer, it had a towel with a flower:(. I called, but they said to just reorder the correct towel, but it then charged me shipping, so, I have to now call back and have them refund the additional shipping. And, I have to go to the local store to return the WRONG hand towel.  Something tells me that I’ll get another hand towel with a flower:(   

• Love 6
5 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

No thermometer. I don’t think I have a fever. I feel sick as a dog. Tired, sluggish, cough, runny stuffy nose. 

You posted that you got a Covid test just last week. Please call ASAP to get those results! Sounds like you could be positive and the symptoms are just showing up now (which is common).

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

What @oldernowiser said. I've had this happen a couple of times and have contacted the shipper, explained the issue, and had them re-ship using a different carrier.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

What @oldernowiser said. I've had this happen a couple of times and have contacted the shipper, explained the issue, and had them re-ship using a different carrier.

I just want my stuff. This is the second box. I can have it Monday. 

With all this box drama I’m so glad I finished my Christmas shopping early!!

• Love 7

I don't have a shipping gripe, but I do have an Amazon gripe. I ordered a hoodie in a size larger than I normally wear b/c I like them bulky. I tried to make sure it was an Amazon order instead of being filled through Amazon because a lot of those tend to be from China and the size is always way too small. Guess where my hoodie came from--yep, China. It fits if I wear it as a shirt and not a jacket, so I'm going to keep it but I'm irritated that Amazon doesn't explicitly state where the item is from.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I don't have a shipping gripe, but I do have an Amazon gripe. I ordered a hoodie in a size larger than I normally wear b/c I like them bulky. I tried to make sure it was an Amazon order instead of being filled through Amazon because a lot of those tend to be from China and the size is always way too small. Guess where my hoodie came from--yep, China. It fits if I wear it as a shirt and not a jacket, so I'm going to keep it but I'm irritated that Amazon doesn't explicitly state where the item is from.

How does one tell if an order is through Amazon vs just going through Amazon?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, louannems said:

How does one tell if an order is through Amazon vs just going through Amazon?

When I have ordered, at least once, I noticed that there was an explanation that said the product was not from Amazon. I can’t recall the exact wording. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

If you have prime the non-Amazon items usually don't qualify for free shipping if they're being shipped from overseas. I gave up prime this year and wait to order until my order is over $25 so the shipping is free.

• Useful 2

Oh man, I was tired. I spent more time napping the last two days, than I want to admit. But this morning I feel more energetic and upbeat than I have for a few weeks, so I got no complaints. 

This week, I treated myself to a new Roku Ultra to replace the old Roku that I use with my bedroom TV. It wasn't the deal of the century, but the price was cut by about a third. It was delivered late yesterday, so I moved my laptop into the bedroom and went through the hassle of getting the new Roku connected, and then getting signed into all my streaming channels. For the most part it wasn't all that hard. I'm glad I upgraded; the new one is really an improvement over the old one which is at least 7 years old. I still had the box for the old one; after I ran a factory reset and deactivated it from my Roku account, it's boxed and ready to go with all my other charity shop donations (today's project). 

Thanks to the reminder here from @iwantcookies, I was able to jump on the Black Friday Hulu $1.99/month deal (that price is good for a year, vs. the regular $5.99 a month). I heard about that deal from someone who snagged it on Black Friday a year or two ago, and was glad to be reminded in time to get it this year. I may eventually abandon Disney+ - which I got mainly to watch Hamilton and haven't used for much else. TBH, for the duration of winter and pandemic, without movie theaters as an entertainment option for me, I'd rather be spoiled for choice with streaming services than not. I intend to reassess the situation when Spring arrives. 

The sun is out, the sky is blue, and I'm gonna get up from this here computer and do stuff. Have a good day, everyone!

• Love 9

I just wanted to post that my cousin, who had dementia and for whom I cared for, passed away this morning in Memory Care.  She had been on hospice for quite a while, but was maintaining with good vitals and appetite.  Still, she was in the end stage and we were never sure when it would happen.  I was able to speak with staff who were present and it was quite an inspiration of how it happened.  I’ll post more about it later.  This evening we are glad she is at peace, but with heavy heart at her passing. She was a huge part of my life. She taught me the names of the Beatles, took me to see Saturday Night Fever and Star Wars.  I was her person, since she was an only child. I don’t think it was covid. From those present, it was peaceful and for that I am grateful. 

• Love 13