Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I ended up with my electric fireplace by accident, but it was perhaps my best item of 2019.  I absolutely love it!  I’ve had wood fireplaces and gas logs, but prefer the electric by far. It’s beautiful to look at...so relaxing...and it’s warm with the heater. You can enjoy the fire without the heat on.   No mess to clean up, no safety worries like gas. Mine is built into the tv stand....grey driftwood color, with glass cabinets on both sides.  I think a fireplace  alone is great, but it will take up a lot of room and will compete with the tv for the vocal point of the room, but some people aren’t big on tv like I am.  I would suggest that you get one with a remote, which I don’t have.  Also, consider that if you want a very large tv, it might not fit the stand/fireplace. Mine holds a 55 inch tv and I want a 65 inch, but I don’t think my stand/fireplace will accommodate it.  The price was AWESOME.  It came from Amazon, but Walmart had the exact same item and my mom got hers there and for an even lower price! She loves hers too.  It makes the room come alive.   
I LOVE those white fireplaces posted upthread! I would prefer one like that, however, they are a little more than I could spend on one. Mine was actually free, from my brother.  I think he payed about under $300.00.

I'm actually looking for one that isn't a TV stand. We have a nice TV set up now, with a rather large (too large for my taste) TV. My husband is the TV watcher in the family although he has been reading more now and watching TV less.

I'm more looking for a nice (tallish) fireplace as homey decorative piece that would be on a different wall than the TV. That's where I'm running into difficulty because most seem to be made to pair up with a TV.

• Love 4

GeeGolly, is your room traditional or contemporary? 

I noticed that even though it may say tv stand, it’s really just a mantle on top that could be for vases, candles, photos, etc.  If you like you could put a tv on the mantle. Like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/31-in-Freestanding-Electric-Fireplace-TV-Stand-with-Entertainment-Center-in-White-NEFP24-2217W/302640141

This is a modern one that I haven’t seen often.

https://electricfireplacesdepot.com/products/dimplex-crystal-white-electric-fireplace-mantel-package-w-acrylic-ice-gds28g8-1944w

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

GeeGolly, is your room traditional or contemporary? 

LOL. My room/home is a la things GeeGolly likes. I guess more toward traditional, with a down to earth but colorful style, with a touch of hippie. 

The corner fireplace that @Oldernowiser so thoughtfully found totally fits in with the vibe of my home and me! Unfortunately its for a corner, not a wall.

cornermantlejpg_1960_detail.jpg

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

See, now I can look at baby pictures all day long and just yawn. But this girl? THIS GIRL? THIS I LOVE SO SO SO MUCH!!! WANT!!! WANT!!!

German Shepherd and what? Some longer snout hound in there? 

She’s a rescue, and all they said was Jack Russell Terrier “mix”. She’s a sweetie.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Well I still have my own unit upstairs. (they live in the downstairs unit, I live upstairs)

My sister is pretty good at entertaining herself- coloring, Disney+ all the xmas movies etc, but every weekend day I still have to bathe her, toileting, changing her linen, making her meals, and then I can "relax" but before I do all that for her, I have been helping Mom, get to the bathroom, bathe, dress, making a meal, in the late afternoon I can finally "relax" but then my Mom wants my attention.

And right now I need to keep them a part because my sister hates the walker. The last two Saturdays my Mom has "moved to my house" to do her exercises in peace, more stairs for me (but yay for exercise), which has meant my sister has been better behaved. (shes always at her worst when Mom is around)

And then Monday-Friday I have work all day, and I do have weekday nights to myself most of the time. (because M has taken care of them during the day). In the afternoons M/W/F I have been driving my Mom to PT, and I work late to make up for the travel time (its just up the street but still its longer than my usual lunch break).

I dont drink alcohol, and instead of eating I have been exercising.

I lost 70lbs in college on WW, and went to law school, stopped doing what I needed to do and it all came back, going to lose it again this time.

This is a lot, @Scarlett45. A lot a lot. You’re handling your sister’s and mother’s needs so well, and I can’t tell you how much I admire that. I wish that you didn’t have such a tough occasion to rise to — even though you’re doing phenomenally rising to it.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, rue721 said:

This is a lot, @Scarlett45. A lot a lot. You’re handling your sister’s and mother’s needs so well, and I can’t tell you how much I admire that. I wish that you didn’t have such a tough occasion to rise to — even though you’re doing phenomenally rising to it.

You are very kind to me, but picture how I felt when it was summer 1999 and Grandfather was still alive, and Mom was on bed rest with blood clots. Same situation, but I was 14, with an EXTRA 6'4, 240lbs 85yrs old man to care for in addition to both of them from 6pm Friday (when Mrs B left for the weekend) and 8am Monday (when she came back to work). 

Yes I was FOURTEEN. I had skills at 14 some people dont have at 44. I remember that summer and think "it could be worse". I have to say, my Great Aunt B may she Rest In Peace was determined to help me "this is too much for you" but she had gotten so much older, and my sister was starting puberty, she could NOT handle her, and her presence made the behavior worse, so I made her go home. But I have to honor her memory that SHE said "this is too much for you, you need help."

• Love 11
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

@Scarlett45, all I can say is that if there is a heaven, you’re going straight to the head of the line. 

I don't believe in an afterlife*, but is it odd that I really want there to be one to see my pets again? And all the people I have loved that have gone? I am not so much concerned about the loss of my consciousness, but the idea that they would be there is really nice.

*not saying that it doesnt exist, I am just not sure

• Love 5

@SCARLETT45, I recently wrote that I really admire you.  What I want to add is that I hope there is someone in your life who lets you know how valuable you are.  You give so much and are really entitled to get whatever you need.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

Lol, yes, I have an exercise pool in half of my garage. If you google "iPool", you can see what it is. I've had it for almost 6 years and it's the only exercise I've ever stuck with that long. 

OMGosh..I've always wanted one of those (or a hot tub) but Illinois doesn't have long of a nice season to use one.

I never thought about putting it in my (mostly unused) garage..hmmm...

a5f2b59b91ed293cfb635d92e3d38039.gif

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Suzn said:

@SCARLETT45, I recently wrote that I really admire you.  What I want to add is that I hope there is someone in your life who lets you know how valuable you are.  You give so much and are really entitled to get whatever you need.

My mommy knows how valuable I am. I am her favorite being (yes she has a favorite, although parents aren’t supposed to). I joke, I’m the favorite and my sister is the baby. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

But... like most of the ones I've seen its on the shorter side. Whatever I get will go between two windows and I feel like anything to low will look a little off, or too much like it was supposed to have a TV hanging over it.

How about building a platform to raise one up higher? You could tile it or something, and that could be your "hearth"?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

OMGosh..I've always wanted one of those (or a hot tub) but Illinois doesn't have long of a nice season to use one.

I never thought about putting it in my (mostly unused) garage..hmmm...

It really is fantastic. It has a little pump and heater and in the winter I crank that thing up and it's like swimming in a giant hot tub. It's about the size of a minivan so it takes up half of my garage.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like that corner unit. It should come in regular.  Omg, I love browsing all the options!
Check this out! A MIRRORED fireplace!

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/everly-quinn-milo-mirrored-electric-fireplace-w000369829.html

42 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

How about building a platform to raise one up higher? You could tile it or something, and that could be your "hearth"?

33 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Very pretty, but *I* couldn't do that one..the less I see of myself in a mirror as I age the better.  Horrors! 😂

That mirrored fireplace is awesome, but it would be right across from the couch which is 'my seat' in the living room. Like Chi said, I don't want to see myself that often.

Raising one up on a platform is a great idea! I could have the platform accommodate the base board so the fireplace fits flush to the wall. Back to the search.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Years ago, a fiend and I were shopping for antiques, when I spotted an old fireplace base with mantle lying out by a dumpster.  The store owner said I could have it.  I borrowed a truck and got it home. I painted it and before I got a place I could use it, my brother put it in his bedroom with an electric insert.  I wish I had a photo of it.  It looked great, like it came with the room.  

Similar to this one:

https://repurposeandupcycle.com/antique-fireplace-mantel-3/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

That mirrored fireplace is awesome, but it would be right across from the couch which is 'my seat' in the living room. Like Chi said, I don't want to see myself that often.

Raising one up on a platform is a great idea! I could have the platform accommodate the base board so the fireplace fits flush to the wall. Back to the search.

GG, did you see any of the edits with new options on my post from this afternoon?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

GG, did you see any of the edits with new options on my post from this afternoon?

I did. Now I'm looking more carefully at the inserts after you showed me that beautiful corner fireplace. I love everything about that insert, but might be able to settle for a silver tone one in another style. To me the silver looks softer than black ones.

BTW, thanks so much for your help. It almost has the feel of shopping with a friend, which I haven't done since pre-pandemic.

• Love 9

Happy Thanksgiving friends

This thanksgiving is different - do any of you have stories of other weird/different thanksgivings that were good?

We have a few - first, when one child was at Auburn, we went and had a cookout out/ potluck thanksgiving with a bunch of her friends and some of the international students that all lived in the same apartment complex. It was great fun.

second - one year we ate thanksgiving lunch at LAX on our way to Hawaii and then ate hot dogs from a food stand on Kauai for dinner. beginning of a great 3 week hiking and camping trip, so it was all good.

• Love 11

Happy Thanksgiving small talkers! Stay safe.

My favorite Thanksgiving story involves my first as a newlywed living far from home. Cooked the bags of giblets etc. inside the turkey, I had no idea.....Didn’t ruin it thank goodness, we were poor students, the turkey blew the food budget.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Yes, I’m watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.  It’s different, but I like it.  Getting ready to help my mom with food.  It’s just my parents and I and one of my brothers is coming.  We’ll wear masks and have to distance.  We may eat outside.  

I am so grateful for my health...everyday covid free is a blessing.  I’m thankful I have a job that allows me to work remotely.  My friends have kept me sane.  

I recall a couple of Thanksgivings that I sort of caused a ruckus.  One year, when my ex and I arrived at my family’s gathering, there was an injured dog beside the road, hit by a car:(   I held up the meal, because I refused to stop until I got the dog help. Ended up calling animal control, sheriff, vets offices, etc.  Finally, I got a vet tech who came on her own time to take it back to their office.  She was a saint.  My family thought I was crazy.  Then another year one of my brothers and I got into a political discussion....not good.  Never did that again! Lol. But last year was awesome! My special needs niece and I wore Panda heads and danced to Water Me by Lizzo! She loved it!  It went over well.  We normally have a nice time, though. I’ll miss seeing everyone this year, but it’s a no brainer for us. Next year, I’ll have another great niece! One of my brothers baby girl is pregnant.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

My across-the-street neighbor, who basically has ignored the pandemic this whole time, is gathering for Thanksgiving with her entire extended family. About 25 people. At her elderly parents house, located in one of the highest risk counties in the state of Ohio. They strongly suggest people living in those counties to stay the hell home, only go out for absolute necessities, and don’t visit with people. Her siblings and their families also live in said high-risk county as well. Super spreader event, anyone? I really want to smack some sense into her, but don’t want to get close enough to her. Ugh. Some people just don’t get it. 😞

• Love 1

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow small talkers and residents of the prayer closet.  No matter how you are celebrating (or not celebrating), it is wonderful to know that we all have each other.

I also want to give a special hug to those members that have experienced a loss this year (LookeyLoo, ChiCricket among others).  May your memories be a comfort to you and when you look at the night sky, you will see their love shining down on you..

• Love 19

Happy Thanksgiving to all of us here in the Prayer Closet! 

I'm thankful for this safe space to chat on the big wide innernetz, and all who hang out here.

I'm also humbly grateful for my continued good health right now. I've just been talking on the phone to one of my local relatives, who told me that as of this week three of our local family (all young adults in the same household) have tested positive for COVID and are definitely sick although not so sick as to need hospital care. This is as close as the virus has come to me (some out of state relatives tested positive this summer but were almost completely asymptomatic thank goodness), and yeah it sucks. They weren't being reckless, BTW; one is a first responder and as I understand it he was exposed at work. 

I was already just fine with being here at home today. I have a four day weekend off from work and that's very welcome. Actually it was four and a half days; I knocked off at noon yesterday. And peeps, I just sat on the sofa and read a book all afternoon. Did diddly squat else, and that was SO FINE. 

I wish everyone peace and kindness and joy and whatever other good things you need!

• Love 19
17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My mommy knows how valuable I am. I am her favorite being (yes she has a favorite, although parents aren’t supposed to). I joke, I’m the favorite and my sister is the baby. 

I'm glad to hear that.  😊

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! to everyone.  Be safe.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 10
23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said: by golly god damn I just want ONE FUCKING WEEK where no one says "Scarlett45 I need" and I don't have to deal with anyone's bodily fluids but my own. Maybe by the end 2021 I will get that no?

I think I held that just one beat too long and now I don’t know how to make it bigger.  Here’s what I have to say:. By golly damn it does NOT seem like too much to ask to have one week of dealing with nobody’s bodily fluids but your own.  You need to book a cruise and get yourself pampered and looked after for a week.    Not a staycation:. You need OUTTA THERE.  A week minimum.  Book it for January and don’t give anybody any information at all.  Byeeeee.  

22 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

LOL. My room/home is a la things GeeGolly likes. I guess more toward traditional, with a down to earth but colorful style, with a touch of hippie. 

***This pretty much describes my entire house.  Or even my life.  Maybe somewhat generously, I like to call my decorating style “eclectic”.  I think that’s Latin for “I like it and I don’t care whether you do or not”

21 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Very pretty, but *I* couldn't do that one..the less I see of myself in a mirror as I age the better.  Horrors! 😂

Hahaha!!!  Do you look in the mirror and say “GUH!!!  How long have I been looking this bad???”  My mom (dementia)  used to look at her own pics all the time and say with genuine confusion “who is THAT???”

20 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Caregiving full time is a thankless job ask me how I know. But once the patient passes on i miss them 😞😞😞

I’m sorry caregiving get like that to you.  After about 6 years of having sole responsibility for first Daddy, hen Mama, I hired my cousin as a live in caregiver.  She saved my life and I mean that sincerely, and genuinely.  At least once a year I write her a note and tell her humbly how much it meant to me for her to be the ONE.  I am not sure at all I would be here today without her.  She was good and kind and gentle but firm, she lived my mother with all she had to give.  I wish you could have had that experience cookies.  
she went on to make that a career after being a professional nanny in Nashville for many years.  She has now cared for and led many folks to the finish line.  The standing joke is:  if you’re ever sick and look up to see her in your room, it’s not good news!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I think I held that just one beat too long and now I don’t know how to make it bigger.  Here’s what I have to say:. By golly damn it does NOT seem like too much to ask to have one week of dealing with nobody’s bodily fluids but your own.  You need to book a cruise and get yourself pampered and looked after for a week.    Not a staycation:. You need OUTTA THERE.  A week minimum.  Book it for January and don’t give anybody any information at all.  Byeeeee.  

Lol. Cruises are happening again in January?? 

I know I’m fortunate. My home and family are safe and economically stable. We are healthy. But damn I do miss going out in the world and interacting with humans that don’t need me to take care of them. 

I apologized to my mom today for not being my “best self”. 

I know I’m not my best self right now. I almost lost my shit because half of the lights for my sister’s tree are dead. 

I spent GOOD MONEY on LED lights last year. Half dead!!!! Wtf! Two strands completly dead and the other two half dead!!

I had to calm down and order more to get here next week. I was ANGRY. Over Xmas tree lights...on Thanksgiving. That’s not normal at all.

My cheesecake was mighty good though. 

• Love 16