Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Good news first. For all other Dolly Parton fans.....(I love her) you might check out a site I recently found that has what’s called Smash Up E-cards.  Warning...it’s addictive. The Thanksgiving E-cards with a sweet talking dog will melt your heart. It recites your personal message to loved ones....AND they have celebrity E-cards from several people. One is Dolly!  It’s individualized...you check the name and she says their name and the banner has their name. She sings them a birthday song to the tune of Nine To Five! My friends went crazy over it and they are sending it now to their friends. Cheap membership and free trial period.  Did I say it’s addictive? Seriously.  You can sample them before you join. Lots of fun!  The site is called Blue Mountain.  I don’t work for them or have any connection to them at all, but I wish I did.  So fun and heartwarming.

https://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/birthday/dolly-parton-birthday-time-song-personalize-lyrics/card-3499578

Now, the not so good news. Wake County Civil Courthouse is closed due to covid outbreak. All filings have to be left in Dropbox. Courts closed. I don’t know who got it, attorneys, judges, clerks, ....? From what I saw today..criminal court won’t be far behind. I pray I got out unscathed.....tried to be careful, but could not socially distance in courtroom. Too crowded. I was in and out in 5 minutes though..held my breath. All wore masks. Hope to be set for isolating by end of week. I’ll only go to my office to pick up mail and  them place it on the porch. I’m not going into my office anymore until things get under control. People there not safe. Idiots. Too disgusted to post about right now. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good news first. For all other Dolly Parton fans.....(I love her) you might check out a site I recently found that has what’s called Smash Up E-cards.  Warning...it’s addictive. The Thanksgiving E-cards with a sweet talking dog will melt your heart. It recites your personal message to loved ones....AND they have celebrity E-cards from several people. One is Dolly!  It’s individualized...you check the name and she says their name and the banner has their name. She sings them a birthday song to the tune of Nine To Five! My friends went crazy over it and they are sending it now to their friends. Cheap membership and free trial period.  Did I say it’s addictive? Seriously.  You can sample them before you join. Lots of fun!  The site is called Blue Mountain.  I don’t work for them or have any connection to them at all, but I wish I did.  So fun and heartwarming.

https://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/birthday/dolly-parton-birthday-time-song-personalize-lyrics/card-3499578

Now, the not so good news. Wake County Civil Courthouse is closed due to covid outbreak. All filings have to be left in Dropbox. Courts closed. I don’t know who got it, attorneys, judges, clerks, ....? From what I saw today..criminal court won’t be far behind. I pray I got out unscathed.....tried to be careful, but could not socially distance in courtroom. Too crowded. I was in and out in 5 minutes though..held my breath. All wore masks. Hope to be set for isolating by end of week. I’ll only go to my office to pick up mail and  them place it on the porch. I’m not going into my office anymore until things get under control. People there not safe. Idiots. Too disgusted to post about right now. 

I had jury duty yesterday.  I had to register online and then wait for an email or call from the bailiff if I was remotely chosen to serve on a trial.  I did not get the call or email and they said my duty is complete.

• Love 10
On 11/17/2020 at 11:22 PM, Zella said:

I love history, have since I was a kid--I actually double-majored in it (and English), and most of my pleasure reading is either historical fiction or nonfiction. So, I have spent a lot of time wondering what it was like to live in different historical periods and what they thought of their own current events and if they knew how historic they were. But now that I am living through a "historic moment," all I can think is "Living through historic moments sucks major ass."

@Marshmallow Mollie, I don't really know exactly what to say that anybody here hasn't said, except I just want you to know that you don't owe your mom anything in that situation. You and your immediate family's well-being is what comes first.

I've mentioned on here before that I am estranged from my own mother and have not had contact with her for 21 years. Over the summer, I did reconnect with my two half-brothers (from her first marriage), and I have really enjoyed having a relationship with them again. That always bothered me--being estranged from her never did. But now because of that link, I am hearing about the health problems she is having in her mid-60s, news I never got before because I wasn't speaking to anyone speaking to her. And I am sincerely sorry that she is not doing well and hope she gets better, but it doesn't change why I feel the way I do about her. Though they have respected my decision to not speak to her, I am sure some members of the family on that side expect me to cave, but I know for my own mental well-being that I don't need that in my life. My mother made her choices years ago, and now she has to live with them. The consequences of that is estrangement from her youngest two children. It sounds like your mom is the same, and if the consequences of that are you needing her not to be in your life, that's on her. Don't let anyone guilt-trip you if that's what you need to do.  

Sounds like we have several things in common!  😊

On 11/17/2020 at 11:27 PM, Zella said:

I've long thought there should be a Hallmark card line for people with dysfunctional families. (Normal cards never seem quite right.) Maybe we can add a cynical merchandising wing to it with catchphrases about historic moments sucking ass. 😄 

Yep. No cards work for me, except the blank ones. In which I invariably write “hope you have a wonderful day!”.  None of those loving rhymes about closeness and loving memories would ever apply. 

12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

🎶 Do your boobs hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em o'er your shoulder
Like a continental soldier
Do your boobs hang low? 🎵

Oddly, in my fundamentalist family, we sang this as little kids!!  No idea why or how we’d know it!!  😂

12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Fun Fact:  Did you know that National Treasure Miss Dolly Parton is one of those who have funded the vaccine being produced by Moderna?  She donated over $1 million to research at Vanderbilt which helped develop the vaccine.  I wonder what she'll wear to accept her Nobel Prize in Medicine?  As if there wasn't enough reason to love her and her great big heart!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/entertainment/dolly-parton-covid-moderna-vaccine-trnd/index.html

I’d just love to know how the Duggars justify their love of dolly with ignoring the virus. If one of their supposed idols believes this strongly in preventing it you’d think they’d believe its real. Although Logic has never been their strong point!

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, awaken said:

Sounds like we have several things in common!  😊

Yep. No cards work for me, except the blank ones. In which I invariably write “hope you have a wonderful day!”.  None of those loving rhymes about closeness and loving memories would ever apply. 

Oddly, in my fundamentalist family, we sang this as little kids!!  No idea why or how we’d know it!!  😂

I’d just love to know how the Duggars justify their love of dolly with ignoring the virus. If one of their supposed idols believes this strongly in preventing it you’d think they’d believe its real. Although Logic has never been their strong point!

Not only that, but Dolly has come out in support of gay rights including marriage.  She said:

I think everyone should be with who they love,” Parton, 68, continued. “I don’t want to be controversial or stir up a bunch of trouble but people are going to love who they are going to love. I think gay couples should be allowed to marry. They should suffer just like us heterosexuals. Ha ha ha!”

Dolly also changed the theme of the dinner show at Dollywood which was originally about the North vs the South and included Confederate symbols.  She said that she grew up around that imagery and it was only recently that she realized that it was offensive to many people and, of course, when you know better, you do better and she would never, ever want to hurt anyone's feelings.  Because growth is possible if only you keep an open mind and heart and listen to others.

• Love 20

In addition to all the other wonderful stuff Dolly does, I'm a big fan of her Imagination Library. I get a little teary-eyed about it every time I read the backstory. 

I also loved Dolly's take on the BLM movement: "Of course Black lives matter. Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!”

29 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Not only that, but Dolly has come out in support of gay rights including marriage.  She said:

Dolly also changed the theme of the dinner show at Dollywood which was originally about the North vs the South and included Confederate symbols.  She said that she grew up around that imagery and it was only recently that she realized that it was offensive to many people and, of course, when you know better, you do better and she would never, ever want to hurt anyone's feelings.  Because growth is possible if only you keep an open mind and heart and listen to others.

She also changed that set-up at her Dixie Stampede in Branson. She even changed the name. Now Dolly Parton's Stampede. 

• Love 14

My parents were thrilled a few years ago when they were visiting Dollywood. Inside the restaurant/theater, they had a surprise guest!  It was Dolly and she came out, thanked them for coming and sang a couple of songs to everyones’s delight. They never dreamed that was a possibility.  Such a genuine person. 

• Love 15

Because this continues to be  "November- the month where everything breaks" the washing machine is on the fritz again, the dreaded OE error message. Likely the pump that pushes the water out needs to be replaced. I am going to fix it once more and buy a new washing machine next fall. Its always something. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Because this continues to be  "November- the month where everything breaks" the washing machine is on the fritz again, the dreaded OE error message. Likely the pump that pushes the water out needs to be replaced. I am going to fix it once more and buy a new washing machine next fall. Its always something. 

Could be the drain hose. It was on mine. It was a wet lint looking clog. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Is there a filter that might need to be cleaned, perhaps?
Hope it’s an easy fix!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Could be the drain hose. It was on mine. It was a wet lint looking clog. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Is there a filter that might need to be cleaned, perhaps?
Hope it’s an easy fix!

Already did that thank you! And its still broken.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, awaken said:
23 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Do your boobs hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em o'er your shoulder
Like a continental soldier
Do your boobs hang low? 🎵

In one of the church schools I went to boobs was switched out for ears. If a boy had hair that touched his ears or went over the back of his collar he had to stand on the stage during morning worship and we all sang that to him. At least on the first day; on the second day he was paddled in front of us. Good times (/sarcasm).

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My parents were thrilled a few years ago when they were visiting Dollywood. Inside the restaurant/theater, they had a surprise guest!  It was Dolly and she came out, thanked them for coming and sang a couple of songs to everyones’s delight. They never dreamed that was a possibility.  Such a genuine person. 

That's so cool!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

TRUE!  When the guys worked on the renovations in my house, they messed up the door to the dryer and it won't stay shut.  I've looked online on how to fix it with a kit, but, am not sure it's something I want to take on.  The dryer isn't new, but, has only been used a half a dozen times, so, I know it's not from wear. AND, the front porch light is out, not the bulb.....it was installed new within the last 12 months. The two on the back work fine.  And, I have a leak in the master bathroom shower!  I've gotten it to a point it doesn't leak, but, you can't touch it.  I've been using the other shower.  I've looked online on how to do all these repairs, but, I'm not sure I have all the tools.......IDK.  I think I'm going to hire someone to do it.  EVEN though, I do NOT want a stranger coming in due to covid..........If I could do all those repairs myself......I'd feel really good about myself.  lol  

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, not you again said:

Y'all, I have a situation I would love ideas regarding.  I bought a basic starter home after my divorce, and after lots of soul-searching I have chosen to leave it at that level of trim so that when I sell it, it's affordable to first-time homebuyers (because there are no starter homes in my town - on purpose - so that lower-income people can't live here).  I am spiteful as hell.  😈   My home has wall to wall carpeting throughout, except for the kitchen and bathrooms.  It's way past time to replace it, and I'm finally in a position to do so.  But how, literally?  My house is full of furniture!  Feeling overwhelmed about the logistics is one of the reasons I've put this off for so long.  So far, I've figured that we could rent something like a Pod and put all our furnishings in there while the carpet is replaced.  But, we will need help moving all the furniture out.  How will I find people to do that?

As you may recall, I live in a small town, don't have a social group, and no close family.  And I'm not on social media.

Whenever I've had flooring replaced, the people who do the work move the furniture as they go.  It's part of the service, at least for the big stuff.  For small things, I guess you could put them in the kitchen or the garage or basement if you have one.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, not you again said:

Y'all, I have a situation I would love ideas regarding.  I bought a basic starter home after my divorce, and after lots of soul-searching I have chosen to leave it at that level of trim so that when I sell it, it's affordable to first-time homebuyers (because there are no starter homes in my town - on purpose - so that lower-income people can't live here).  I am spiteful as hell.  😈   My home has wall to wall carpeting throughout, except for the kitchen and bathrooms.  It's way past time to replace it, and I'm finally in a position to do so.  But how, literally?  My house is full of furniture!  Feeling overwhelmed about the logistics is one of the reasons I've put this off for so long.  So far, I've figured that we could rent something like a Pod and put all our furnishings in there while the carpet is replaced.  But, we will need help moving all the furniture out.  How will I find people to do that?

As you may recall, I live in a small town, don't have a social group, and no close family.  And I'm not on social media.

When I recently did renovations, which included all new paint throughout, new flooring, etc.  I rented a Pod from Rat Pack.  If you can get everything done in a short time, it's a good deal, but, we ended up needing several months and it was rather pricy.  I'd shop around. Carpet installers can move very quickly.  With a team, they can remove the old and install the new really fast.  If you can find a crew to replace the carpet who will move your furniture from room to room as they finish one room, that might be easier.  I normally hire professional movers, but, for this last renovation, my family members helped move things. I had two, large strong men and me.  They didn't charge me, but, I'm taking them out to a nice dinner after covid.   I used this an an opportunity to purge out old stuff that I was tired of or that was no longer working.  It was nice to see a very minimalist look.  And, if you're going to paint, I'd consider doing it all at once. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I had to put my cat to sleep today.  She had not been eating right which for her is odd. I dropped her off at the vets I could not stay due to Covid and I had to be at work. They tested her a problem with the pancreas ,that was clear so they did the  feline equivalent of a CBC. They found she had liver problems. To investigate further they would need to do xrays. With the xrays plus what they were already doing it would cost over 900.00 and I did not have that much money. Then there would have been the treatment. I just did not have the money so I told them to put her to sleep. I was not able to be there..this was not because of Covid I was at work and could not leave. They are very nice there I know they gave her cuddles. It was so sad coming  home. I am truly alone. I am having problems stopping crying which is not unusual once I start crying I have problems stopping. 

1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I had to put my cat to sleep today.  She had not been eating right which for her is odd. I dropped her off at the vets I could not stay due to Covid and I had to be at work. They tested her a problem with the pancreas ,that was clear so they did the  feline equivalent of a CBC. They found she had liver problems. To investigate further they would need to do xrays. With the xrays plus what they were already doing it would cost over 900.00 and I did not have that much money. Then there would have been the treatment. I just did not have the money so I told them to put her to sleep. I was not able to be there..this was not because of Covid I was at work and could not leave. They are very nice there I know they gave her cuddles. It was so sad coming  home. I am truly alone. I am having problems stopping crying which is not unusual once I start crying I have problems stopping. 

my heart goes out to you. i say -- take the time to cry. you earned it with the love you gave your cat. 

• Love 12

Oh, CCL58 sweetie. I’m so, so sorry. For whatever it’s worth, it doesn’t sound like anything that could have been fixed...both of you would just be a few days or weeks farther down the road with both of you suffering and coming to the same awful place. 

There is nothing more painful, for us animal people. I hope that you can at least acknowledge how brave you were...as a vet tech I saw people who just refused to let go and their pets suffered for it. You did right by her, even knowing how much it would hurt to say goodbye.

All my sympathy and hugs to you.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I'm so sorry about the loss of your sweet kitty, @crazycatlady58! It is so hard to lose a pet. It is a kindness that they don't have to suffer when they are so ill. I know there is an emptiness in your home right now and I'm so sorry. May your memories bring you comfort. ❤️

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, CCL58 sweetie. I’m so, so sorry. For whatever it’s worth, it doesn’t sound like anything that could have been fixed...both of you would just be a few days or weeks farther down the road with both of you suffering and coming to the same awful place. 

There is nothing more painful, for us animal people. I hope that you can at least acknowledge how brave you were...as a vet tech I saw people who just refused to let go and their pets suffered for it. You did right by her, even knowing how much it would hurt to say goodbye.

All my sympathy and hugs to you.

Yes the Dr. said the # was something like 900 and I did not think that would be an easy fix.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I'm so sorry for your loss of your cat. Thoughts and prayers with you.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, not you again said:

When I had my floors replaced in January, the flooring guys took care of all that. They replaced the floors one or two rooms at a time, and would just move the furniture out of the way by putting it in the room beside the one they were working on. I only moved the little stuff into the kitchen beforehand, so it wouldn’t get in the way or broken. They only took 2 days to do the whole place. I replaced wall to wall carpet with that new laminate that looks like wood, and couldn’t be happier.

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I’m so sorry 😔 

Do you have any pictures of your kitty? Any stories about her to share? That’s heartbreaking that you had to stay at work the whole time, but I’m sure the vet staff were caring and gentle.

• Love 5

Crazy cat - because of your name, I figured you had back up cats.  Plural.  This makes me so sad, I HATE to lose pets.  I love my babies in a hearty and full throated way.

Not a pet:  I have grandchildren.  (About this tall, as it turns out).  NOTE:  Thisnis with hands supposedly “clean”.  😳

FD98E495-DE39-48CE-86CA-D7D7B669133E.jpeg

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

No backup cats. I am 65 and will not get another cat. While I am healthy now I have to keep in mind what will happen as I age. Also finances played a part in this I truly afford to give a cat  the care they need if they get ill. I plan on, after the first of the year getting a parakeet .

• Love 15
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

This is heartbreaking.  I’m so sorry you have to go through this.  

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Nysha said:

In one of the church schools I went to boobs was switched out for ears. If a boy had hair that touched his ears or went over the back of his collar he had to stand on the stage during morning worship and we all sang that to him. At least on the first day; on the second day he was paddled in front of us. Good times (/sarcasm).

Reminds me of how girls in Christian school had to kneel with their bare knees on the floor if their uniform skirts were above the knee. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

No backup cats. I am 65 and will not get another cat. While I am healthy now I have to keep in mind what will happen as I age. Also finances played a part in this I truly afford to give a cat  the care they need if they get ill. I plan on, after the first of the year getting a parakeet .

You may yet have many years to live. None of us can be sure. My mom’s good friend said the same about not getting another cat after hers died last year, the friend is over 80 years old. But a cat from her neighborhood ended up adopting her! It had a home already but preferred hers. They are now very happy together! So many cats out there need homes. I hope you reconsider. And it’s ok to cry! Losing a pet is so heartbreaking.

—————————————————————————————

More Ohio Covidiots. These just an hour or so from me. SMDH. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/maskless-ohio-wedding-leaves-dozens-122254187.html

JRod and family, you’re next.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 14

@crazycatlady58, I am so, so sorry for the loss of your kitty. It’s the hardest thing in the world to do. My brother just had to do that with his beautiful dog who probably had cancer (tumor detected from XRAY in intestine) and he could not afford the exploratory surgery and the likely treatments needed. I hope your beautiful memories help console you. Sending hugs and care your way.

• Love 5

Weird, I couldn't access this site yesterday morning. In the afternoon the link still didn't work. So I went to the Primetimer site and clicked that forum link. Still didn't work. Finally, I pulled up a thread link in my browser and got here. Had to make a new link. Any one else have problems?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Weird, I couldn't access this site yesterday morning. In the afternoon the link still didn't work. So I went to the Primetimer site and clicked that forum link. Still didn't work. Finally, I pulled up a thread link in my browser and got here. Had to make a new link. Any one else have problems?

Yes. Same thing for me. Then this morning it said error, but when I hit the "try again" tab, it loaded. I haven't made a new link yet, but I think I will now.

@crazycatlady58 So sorry for the loss of your sweet kitty...

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes I had the same problem yesterday and today I had an error message. 

It was fine for me this morning, and then bam, error message. It worked this time, but is very frustrating.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, awaken said:

Reminds me of how girls in Christian school had to kneel with their bare knees on the floor if their uniform skirts were above the knee. 

In my Catholic high school, there was an elderly nun who used to walk up and down the hallway pointing with a ruler and ordering girls to 'Kneel!' if she thought their skirts were too short.  The rule was our skirt had to skim the floor when we kneeled.  She'd let us get up right away though.  She had kinda bad eyesight though, so we got very skilled at rolling up our skirts at the waistband to make them short enough, and, when Sister Modesty ordered us to kneel, we could bring the skirt down to regulation length with a quick flick of the wrist.

• LOL 17
17 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am so very sorry! What a day. I have lost two cats during this pandemic, its especially hard with as much time as we spend at home. You gave her a very wonderful life, and take peace in the fact that she is no longer suffering. Be gentle with yourself. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, not you again said:

Thank you everyone for your replies!  I had no idea that the carpet layers might move furniture.  So I just need to find out if that's included and go from there.  Thanks so much!  Now, off to find carpet that is the color of GA red clay, LOL!

You can also hire a moving company to move it into the pod and move it out of the pod.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I had the same problem yesterday afternoon.  Since I was at work, I thought it was maybe a block from IT.  There have been multiple serious cybersecurity threats against US hospitals and my employer has been putting 'stop signs' all over the internet access points on our office computers in an attempt to avoid being hacked.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
Just now, not you again said:

Yes, we would definitely need help doing that, if it comes to it.  But there aren't any moving companies where I live.  I was considering asking the 2 furniture stores if their delivery guys ever did work work not involving deliveries. Never hurts to ask!

I have no doubt that there are some industrious workers out there who would be grateful for the opportunity to make some extra money.  It's been a tough year.

• Love 6

CrazyCatLady, so sorry to hear about the loss of your furry friend.

No matter how far I try to buy in advance I still end up being a later shopper. I come up with my best ideas a few days before Christmas. It's hereditary, my mom was same way.

I scrolled thru Etsy last night looking for ideas & decided on face masks as a stocking stuffer type of gift for most of the people on my list (which isn't many.)  I'm trying to match their likes with what I pick out. My son is into Star Wars & my brother loves VW Beetle Bugs so i found theirs already.  I always give my brother a calendar too.  I started giving him one years ago & now he looks forward to getting one. There's also gift cards for home repair places which are always welcome by any recipient.  My nephew & niece in law got married in the fall & I'm going to get them a Just Married tree ornament.  I still have the one someone gave us 36 years ago. 

I also put together a snack type of gift box for my various doctor offices incl pretzels, trail mixes, fruit snacks, etc. I usually add in a big jar of bar snack mix but not this year. I'm making sure everthing is individually packaged.  It is something easy to put together & always appreciated.  It ends up being harder to find  a container to put everything in.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I have no doubt that there are some industrious workers out there who would be grateful for the opportunity to make some extra money.  It's been a tough year.

We got some good help with some heavy-duty gardening earlier this year by advertising on Craigslist. I know that can be a gamble in some ways, but it definitely worked well for us. Got a couple of really hard-working guys who were out of work due to the Pandemic, so got to help them out a bit in return, but at a far lower cost than hiring actual landscapers. And it was really easy to social distance as well 🙂

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

We got some good help with some heavy-duty gardening earlier this year by advertising on Craigslist. I know that can be a gamble in some ways, but it definitely worked well for us. Got a couple of really hard-working guys who were out of work due to the Pandemic, so got to help them out a bit in return, but at a far lower cost than hiring actual landscapers.

One of my nephews is very handy and, when he got laid off from his job, he used the local shopper website to advertise his services.  He did all kinds of garden work (he's got a real eye for it as well as a green thumb)  and other household repairs.  He started getting calls from friends and neighbors of people he had done work for and, eventually, found a full time job courtesy of one of his customers who knew a place that was hiring and needed someone like him.

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, not you again said:

Thank you everyone for your replies!  I had no idea that the carpet layers might move furniture.  So I just need to find out if that's included and go from there.  Thanks so much!  Now, off to find carpet that is the color of GA red clay, LOL!

I'd explore various companies.  I have only used private smaller companies, family owned, etc. and felt they were being up front with me and got a good price.  But, I have heard that some of those national companies that advertise super good deals, can be very tricky.  I'd be very careful with them and get everything in writing. 

My brother or my nephew would be able to do all my household repairs, but, they are so busy with personal and business matters right now.  My brother is a post master at a local post office......it's crazy. SOOOO busy.  No time off.  I may explore outside help or take it on myself.  I know that by doing it myself, I can likely save hundreds of dollars in labor.  Except the light. I'll have to get an electrician for that. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

My girlfriend works as a court reporter or does legal transcriptions. Mostly the latter as she can do it from home and have no social contact with people. Business is slow and she decided to rent out her master en suite bedroom for income so she doesn’t have to stress about her mortgage. Yesterday I went over and painted the rooms while she worked.  She knows my hidden talent. I can edge (cut) in a room without taping it with precision. I’m fast. Today I have aches in places I didn’t even know existed. I’m very small and all that climbing is something I’m not used to. Oh boy am I grateful for Advil gelcaps. It was worth it to see the relief  on her face. Today I got a call at 8 am. I had left my sweater over there. She drove over to return it and brought me a blueberry muffin. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My girlfriend works as a court reporter or does legal transcriptions. Mostly the latter as she can do it from home and have no social contact with people. Business is slow and she decided to rent out her master en suite bedroom for income so she doesn’t have to stress about her mortgage. Yesterday I went over and painted the rooms while she worked.  She knows my hidden talent. I can edge (cut) in a room without taping it with precision. I’m fast. Today I have aches in places I didn’t even know existed. I’m very small and all that climbing is something I’m not used to. Oh boy am I grateful for Advil gelcaps. It was worth it to see the relief  on her face. Today I got a call at 8 am. I had left my sweater over there. She drove over to return it and brought me a blueberry muffin. 

Ohhhh....that's a great talent to have.  I wish I had it.  I am the WORST painter around. I'm great at parallel parking though! lol  I bet your friend really appreciated your help.  

I had to eliminate another store from my shopping options.  The grocery store nearest to my parents and where we have shopped for many years REALLY dropped the ball yesterday.  I'm not sure what happened, but, I spotted a total of FIVE employees with NO masks yesterday while in the store for 20 minutes.  I personally ASKED TWO of them to put them on.  Both of them gave me the evil eye when I did. And, I don't think either one complied.  I kept notes and called their corporate office when I got home.  I detailed everything and also reported those who WERE wearing their masks.  I'm sure those who were in compliance are horrified at what they witness.  The rep was horrified and apologized profusely.  I told her that they need to know.  This kind of violation was appalling.  Normally, this store is very compliant.   One of those that I had to ask to put on a mask was working in the deli!  This is my second report of this type of thing to their corporate office, over similar thing.  The other violations was a couple of months ago and at a different location, same chain, only this one was more serious. 

• Love 8