Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's never too late. The parents have to cut the cord. 

I guess they are trying it’s not working since the offspring refuses to get a job.

Oh and I was asked a few times can they live with me for free haha

NO 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Off Facebook from an acquaintance who is such a liar it’s totally not true 🙄🙄🙄

OMG, this is something my youngest daughter would do. Seriously, last December when we got into an argument over the fact that she wasn't paying rent or buying food, even though she was getting SSI & food stamps, she begged her CPS caseworker to get her and the kids into the YWCA shelter because I was emotionally abusive.

1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

Y’all know that in 50 years, kids studying American history are going to be reading about this the same way we read about the dustbowl and the depression and the great wars.  Memorizing numbers - talking about an America they don’t even recognize.

I love history, have since I was a kid--I actually double-majored in it (and English), and most of my pleasure reading is either historical fiction or nonfiction. So, I have spent a lot of time wondering what it was like to live in different historical periods and what they thought of their own current events and if they knew how historic they were. But now that I am living through a "historic moment," all I can think is "Living through historic moments sucks major ass."

@Marshmallow Mollie, I don't really know exactly what to say that anybody here hasn't said, except I just want you to know that you don't owe your mom anything in that situation. You and your immediate family's well-being is what comes first.

I've mentioned on here before that I am estranged from my own mother and have not had contact with her for 21 years. Over the summer, I did reconnect with my two half-brothers (from her first marriage), and I have really enjoyed having a relationship with them again. That always bothered me--being estranged from her never did. But now because of that link, I am hearing about the health problems she is having in her mid-60s, news I never got before because I wasn't speaking to anyone speaking to her. And I am sincerely sorry that she is not doing well and hope she gets better, but it doesn't change why I feel the way I do about her. Though they have respected my decision to not speak to her, I am sure some members of the family on that side expect me to cave, but I know for my own mental well-being that I don't need that in my life. My mother made her choices years ago, and now she has to live with them. The consequences of that is estrangement from her youngest two children. It sounds like your mom is the same, and if the consequences of that are you needing her not to be in your life, that's on her. Don't let anyone guilt-trip you if that's what you need to do.  

Edited by Zella
  • Love 23
2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I may have this made into a tee shirt and a coffee mug!

I've long thought there should be a Hallmark card line for people with dysfunctional families. (Normal cards never seem quite right.) Maybe we can add a cynical merchandising wing to it with catchphrases about historic moments sucking ass. 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Folks, I need some support, and I thought you since many of you are familiar with elder care issues

I can’t stop crying. The lawyer is already drawing papers for POA and potential guardianship, and I just want to say FUCK HER and FUCK IT ALL. 

I'm so sorry. My experience (sample size of one) is that the financial person my sister and I hired to take over my dad's bills (sister has POA which is a huge mistake but Dad thinks she is closer so she should do it. I would not steal from him, just saying) also takes on guardianship. So you may be able to find someone who would do this and keep you out of it, and, as someone else said, call once a week or so to check in. I would at least recommend getting someone else to handle the day to day money and taxes. It has been a real load off of us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

@beckie I was so happy that you called the phone numbers. This  information can help you to not be in an abusive relationship. Also realize that you have worth as a person and don’t deserve what he was giving. The first step is the hardest and now you are on your way forward. Im both happy and proud of you. A new job is terrific for so many reasons. Wow, only 2 blocks away. Sounds like the building blocks of your new life are falling into place. 

@Marshmallow Mollie You’ve gotten some good advice and I hope this sorts out as easily as possible for you. I’m glad you have a firm resolve not to let that man around your children. That is danger waiting to happen. Don’t be guilty about whatever you have to do. Your Mom needs professional help for both her mental and physical health. 

• Love 8

Thought I would share this view with you. Its part of a post from a friend of mine, who happens to be one of the smartest people I know.

It *IS* confusing, the way that it is being reported in the media, but it is actually fairly straightforward 9th grade math. I'll try to lay it out in a bit easier format.

1) The current fatality rate for people who GET CoVid19 is around 3%.

I'm sorry, but any other number you might have seen is a lie. The total number of "closed cases" reported worldwide is 40 million. The number of deaths is 1.3 million. 1.3 / 40 = 0.0325 or 3%

The number of closed cases in the US is 7.4 million and deaths is 250,000

250,000/7400,000 = 0.0338 or 3%

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

BTW, I know two adults, both in their 80's but fairly healthy, who tested positive for COVID but never got sick.  Meanwhile, in both cases, they were tested because their spouse was sick with it.  Both spouses died.  It is just a ridiculous virus.

Just as I came to ask about this, I realized you were talking about two entirely different couples.  

I myself have a beast of an immune system, no reason for this phenomenon but there you go.  I was eating something the other day and it absolutely NO taste.  And I had that “ooooh, huh...” moment.  I am that person who won’t have symptoms but my spouse will take off with it.  

it is TERRIFYING to me that the symptoms are in a bucket and are sprinkled out randomly.  There is no rhyme or reason.  

and almost on par with Covid this morning is thet I put an underwire bra on my saggy baggies his morning.  It was new, with tags.  Ive been avoiding it for over a year and took the plunge.  It’s been 30 minutes.  I will say this:

if I were at the pearly gates and the angels said to me, you can come in here and live peacefully forever but you have to wear an underwire every day (one that, FYI, has been fitted professionally).  Or you can choose to live in hell and feel the fire every day.  Forever.  Underwire or hell.  I would actually have to consider this before responding.   “Underwire or hell?”  “Can I have a minute??”

UPDATE:  underwire has left the building.  Paid a lot of money for that sucker too.  I despise underwire more than Brussels sprouts, squash and liver combined.  (This is a mountain of disgust).  What sadist thought that was a good idea???  

I’ve decided at the ripe old (golden) age of 61 that I no longer care if they point East or west.  If they’re covered and somewhat supported, south is fine with me.  my niece just last week had hers removed and reconstructed.  She was bigger than me.  (Truthfully, she was ENORMOUS).  Little stars were popping in thought bubbles all around my head.  She has that propensity gene, so had an ace in her deck.   Plus I think she may have almost smothered a baby or two.  

Edited by Happyfatchick
Update
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

We also need to remember that everyone who survives COVID doesn't return to their previous state of health.  I work with a woman who went into renal failure and is now, almost 10 months later, still on dialysis and on the list for a kidney transplant.  Her kidneys worked fine prior to COVID,  There are people who've had strokes, who've suffered heart damage, nerve damage, lung damage.  3% is just the tip of the iceberg.

so very true - we know a young guy mid 30s, was hospitalized for 5 weeks. his heart was severely damaged. he finally came home, 2 days later had a massive heart attack. hit his head when he fell and has been in a coma for 2 wks now.  this is not an internet story, this is a guy we know. gofundme set up and his 4 brothers joined together to match all donations. 

It is sad - we are now listening to friend's stories where they had to drop off their 30-40yr olds at the ER and just leave them. Young, healthy people and they got covid and they are dying or their lives have been drastically changed.

Edited by crazy8s

I am low risk because of my age (34), but I am scared of catching it and having organ damage -- kidney damage in particular, because my uncle died of renal failure and it is an extremely painful way to go, and because I had a kidney infection from a UTI once (TMI, I'm sorry) and it was so horrible that I was literally throwing up from pain and have been very conscious of my kidneys ever since. I am trying to be careful, but work and my dog necessitate me going out every day, pretty much all day.

My boyfriend is the only one in my bubble in the sense that we CHOOSE to spend time together indoors without distancing or masking, but he also has to go to work. So, being realistic, all my coworkers and all HIS coworkers, and everyone in all THEIR bubbles is also in my bubble. (At least the other dog walkers are outside, plus we distance and mask for the most part. Not true for many of either my coworkers or his). Anyway, it's scary. The terror of spreading it to my parents or his parents is also very real. I have thought many times of quitting my job in order to isolate more effectively, but with the economy in this shape, that seems dangerous, too. And he can't quit his job, his industry is hard to find work in around here, so I will still have quite a bit of exposure through him regardless.

I am mostly very sad that I haven't been able to see my friends or my grandma for months and months. My parents and I had been sharing two dinners a week outside (and distanced) at their house, but now that it's too cold to eat outside, it's hard for me to see them, too. And of course there are all the low grade stresses and frustrations that we're all dealing with. Covid fatigue is real, y'all.

Anyway, I'm thinking of all of you that are having a hard time. I'm sorry that I can't be more help. But @lookeyloo, I think of you often. @beckie, you're doing great and please keep on trucking. @Marshmallow Mollie, you are a better and braver woman than your mother ever was. She wasn't and isn't going to take care of you, so you need to do whatever you need to in order to take care of yourself. I'm sorry that you weren't able to have a close and loving relationship with your mother, but it sounds like you do and will with your own kids. (((hugs)))

• Love 14
56 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Just as I came to ask about this, I realized you were talking about two entirely different couples.  

I myself have a beast of an immune system, no reason for this phenomenon but there you go.  I was eating something the other day and it absolutely NO taste.  And I had that “ooooh, huh...” moment.  I am that person who won’t have symptoms but my spouse will take off with it.  

it is TERRIFYING to me that the symptoms are in a bucket and are sprinkled out randomly.  There is no rhyme or reason.  

and almost on par with Covid this morning is thet I put on an underwire first my saggy baggies his morning.  It was new, with tags.  I e been avoiding it for over a year and took the plunge.  It’s been 30 minutes.  I will say this:

if I were at the pearly gates and the angels said to me, you can come in here and live peacefully forever but you have to wear an underwire every day (one that, FYI, has been fitted professionally).  Or you can choose to live in hell and feel the fire every day.  Forever.  Underwire or hell.  I would actually have to consider this before responding.   “Underwire or hell?”  “Can I have a minute??”

What are saggy baggies???

• LOL 5

My aunt usually invites me to have Thanksgiving dinner with her and her family. If she does this year I will decline. I work retail and with her being  80+ I would not want to risk the change of passing the virus to her. Also she taked care of her great grand kids. Her children, grandchildren and the gg kids will be there. All of her children work and the grandchildren work. That's a lot of people out and about who have contact with others. She has talked about wearing a mask when out in public but also has posted pictures of birthdays with a good amount of people with no mask in sight.

I have done holidays alone and what works for me is to have a special meal but NOT the typical holiday meal. For me sitting down eating turkey and the rest of your typical Thanksgiving meal is sad. I miss the large group around me. So to that end yesterday I bought a steak,   baking potato  ect and that will be my special meal. I will check in here and if anyone wants to visit we can.

5 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

What are saggy baggies???

Old breasts. I have them also.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
43 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

so very true - we know a young guy mid 30s, was hospitalized for 5 weeks. his heart was severely damaged. he finally came home, 2 days later had a massive heart attack. hit his head when he fell and has been in a coma for 2 wks now.  this is not an internet story, this is a guy we know. gofundme set up and his 4 brothers joined together to match all donations. 

It is sad - we are now listening to friend's stories where they had to drop off their 30-40yr olds at the ER and just leave them. Young , healthy people and they got covid and they are dying or their lives have been drastically changed.

Add me to the list. I have severe breathing troubles after COVID. I should see a cardiologist too. I just got really sick with other issues too. I think it’s all COVID related. 

• Love 1

My friend's cousin, a girl in her 20s with no previous health problems, caught Covid and ended up alone in the hospital for weeks with Covid-induced pneumonia. Although she recovered and is home, she gets winded just walking across a room, now has to use an inhaler, and is very weak and foggy headed. And they have no idea if she'll ever fully recover. That kind of stuff terrifies me and it makes me furious that so many people still think Covid is a hoax or "it's just the same as getting the flu" (a quote from my neighbor). 

I pray every night that the vaccines work quickly and are available to everyone free of charge. I don't think Covid will ever fully go away but I hope we can knock it down as much as possible. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, EVS said:

I wanted to share a small act of kindness that means a lot during these crazy, scary times. 

Yesterday I placed an Instacart order for delivery early this morning. Before masks were required by Instacart, I had placed a comment in the notes section that, because of my cancer, we could not accept a delivery if the shopper was not wearing a mask. I have left the comment just to make the shopper aware of the situation. 

So my shopper this morning messaged me that the store had Clorox wipes and did I want her to add any to my order. I appreciated that and added them to my order and thanked her. 

Then, after she dropped off my order, I got this message:

You are all set  I did self checkout so I could bag and separate everything for you without a bunch of others touching your groceries.  Hopefully they will be easy to put away.  I also had a backup disinfecting spray that I left for you. I figure you can use. I hope you have a wonderful day and a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you so much.  Stay safe.

With things getting so bad here in Illinois, I greatly appreciated the extra care with the groceries, but leaving me her own can of disinfecting spray was so kind and thoughtful, I just wanted to share. 

Wow. Folks are good! That gave me chills.

Hope you are doing well!

• Love 13
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

My friend's cousin, a girl in her 20s with no previous health problems, caught Covid and ended up alone in the hospital for weeks with Covid-induced pneumonia. Although she recovered and is home, she gets winded just walking across a room, now has to use an inhaler, and is very weak and foggy headed. And they have no idea if she'll ever fully recover. That kind of stuff terrifies me and it makes me furious that so many people still think Covid is a hoax or "it's just the same as getting the flu" (a quote from my neighbor). 

I pray every night that the vaccines work quickly and are available to everyone free of charge. I don't think Covid will ever fully go away but I hope we can knock it down as much as possible. 

In the US, no way we will all get them free of charge. 😢

• Love 1

I thought I was done posting for the day, but Dr Bug had to bring up Dolly Parton.  I LOOOOVE ME SOME DOLLY!!!!!   I could just listen to her talk, I want to sit and talk to her, to squeeze her like a lemon.  I’ve never been crazy about her voice but would listen to her for 3 days straight.  I looooove her.  
One of my props people admitted to me once that her middle name is Jolene.  I almost peed my pants.  You’re KIDDING!!!!  Nope.  For real.  I said “OMG, don’t you just ❤️ Dolly??

no.  She says, kinda bristly.  No???  Why on earth NOT???  You’re practically her CHILD!  She says Unfortunately, she once dated Dollys nephew.  They went to a concert, and Dolly called her out.  Embarrassed her a little, but she lived.  The kicker was that the nephew turned out to be THAT GUY.  The one you never quite get over. And he hurt her in a big way, and that’s all tied to Jolene and by default to Dolly.  That’s the saddest story ever.  I mean, I get it, kind of, but really.  Dolly!!!

and because I’m a tricia space hog, my baby son and wife are preggers, and it’s a girl.  My first given name is Zelma (which apparently is weirder than I thought since spellcheck argued with me through 5 tries).  They know they want Marie as a middle name, as it’s a strong name in our family (and the mothers middle name).  I’ve been calling this child Zelly Marie and I’m just not getting a strong TEN on the vibe meter.  They both have declared they like unusual names, so THERE YOU GO!!!  Done and DONE. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

I am officially DONE xmas shopping, everything has been ordered save for the Harry and David boxes going to my extended family in December. I will be wrapping for my family and I have sent the gifts to everyone's house. Now I will be able to decorate and enjoy the holidays in peace. Minimal gifts to wrap. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am officially DONE xmas shopping, everything has been ordered save for the Harry and David boxes going to my extended family in December. I will be wrapping for my family and I have sent the gifts to everyone's house. Now I will be able to decorate and enjoy the holidays in peace. Minimal gifts to wrap. 

I'm officially now frantic. I don't even know what I'm purchasing yet. And I'm guessing delivery times will be awful. 

• Love 6

I'm about 80% done with Christmas gifts, although I reserve the right to get more for my grandchildren if I see fit. LOL. My granddaughter will be 6 months old at Christmas, so I am anxious to see how she reacts to all the lights, tree, etc. I think I will decorate this weekend. I am ready for some festivity in my life, and I have to have a surgical biopsy the day before Thanksgiving, so I may not feel like hauling everything out next weekend.

• Love 4

we have ordered all gifts for our kids and grandkids. so far only one thing on a long delivery delay.

helping my mom now. so complicated. she will buy nothing from China. Spends x amount of dollars on each grand or great grand so all gift cards in stores are always the wrong amount. I could go on but it is craziness. she makes it so hard

last night, i had what I thought was great idea for the grands from mom - 7 grand kids, all in their 30's, scattered around the US, many in rural areas. I asked each of them if there were local restaurants that they would like to support and grandma could give them a gift card. all 7 replied back within 15 minutes with names of local places in their area.  they thought this was a great idea. a win all the way around. they can order a meal, it supports local business and their grandma is not out shopping. 

once in a while I get it right

for the great grands she is giving magazine subscriptions. Muse, Ranger Rick, Sports Illustrated for kids etc

• Love 17

@crazy8s that's a great idea! 

I am probably 80% done with shopping. My kids are done and my side of the family as well. Lots of packages arriving on my doorstep this week! 

We need to get something for my FIL, and gift cards for my husband's "nephews", and then I need to order a gift to have sent directly to our nephew across the country and gift cards for his parents. So for the most part I know what I'm getting, just need to finish ordering. 

I also need to get the girls to decide what they want to get for each other and their dad. Usually I take them shopping individually for a little one on one time to choose something, but this year we'll have to figure it out online. 

I've found that Target has faster shipping than Amazon these days, if you're shopping through major retailers. I like the idea of shopping local or through Etsy, but most of my people to buy for are kids/tweens who want very specific items or our mothers (mine who is incredibly picky about knick knack or decor and his who is...one step up from a hoarder. She's a clean hoarder. But a hoarder. So we try not to contribute). 

I'm so anxious to be done shopping, I may rope my husband into helping me finish with the gift card ordering tonight! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

I thought I was done posting for the day, but Dr Bug had to bring up Dolly Parton.  I LOOOOVE ME SOME DOLLY!!!!!   I could just listen to her talk, I want to sit and talk to her, to squeeze her like a lemon.  I’ve never been crazy about her voice but would listen to her for 3 days straight.  I looooove her.  
One of my props people admitted to me once that her middle name is Jolene.  I almost peed my pants.  You’re KIDDING!!!!  Nope.  For real.  I said “OMG, don’t you just ❤️ Dolly??

no.  She says, kinda bristly.  No???  Why on earth NOT???  You’re practically her CHILD!  She says Unfortunately, she once dated Dollys nephew.  They went to a concert, and Dolly called her out.  Embarrassed her a little, but she lived.  The kicker was that the nephew turned out to be THAT GUY.  The one you never quite get over. And he hurt her in a big way, and that’s all tied to Jolene and by default to Dolly.  That’s the saddest story ever.  I mean, I get it, kind of, but really.  Dolly!!!

and because I’m a tricia space hog, my baby son and wife are preggers, and it’s a girl.  My first given name is Zelma (which apparently is weirder than I thought since spellcheck argued with me through 5 tries).  They know they want Marie as a middle name, as it’s a strong name in our family (and the mothers middle name).  I’ve been calling this child Zelly Marie and I’m just not getting a strong TEN on the vibe meter.  They both have declared they like unusual names, so THERE YOU GO!!!  Done and DONE. 

What is going to be grandbabys name? 

Congratulations!!!

Y'all are freaking me out! I have one or two gifts, but I haven't really started my Christmas shopping full force yet. I need to get on that because I always mail some of my gifts to friends and family out of state. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm officially now frantic. I don't even know what I'm purchasing yet. And I'm guessing delivery times will be awful. 

Im usually done by the end of the first week of December but with everything being online this year, and delivery times, I wanted to make sure people got their gifts early, and in time to wrap for their kids. 

• Love 6

just this morning sent out birthday letters with $ for the twin grands having birthdays next week that i will be missing.  i am sending money to all the grands and to their parents so my shopping is minimal this year. it will be the easiest holiday season ever for me!  our state still has schools locked down so i may get to see the local kids for christmas eve if they maintain the effort of little to no exposure for them.  now that i cancelled my texas trip for next week, i am thinking ahead to their spring break in march and maybe driving there to reduce exposure.  time will tell...

on another note, just consumed a whole frozen gluten-free sweet potato crust pizza for my lunch.  they are smaller than your may expect so i don't feel guilty and besides i pay a fortune for them.  and dinner is in the crock pot...stew and red lobster biscuits. laundry is on last load for today and house is clean. yay!!!

• Love 10

To no one's surprise, Cuyahoga County, where Cleveland is located, has announced a shut-down for the next 30 days of all but essential businesses and a stay-at-home advisory.  It also advises against travel. especially for Thanksgiving.  Alas, it is voluntary, so I expect compliance will be less than optimal.  Sounds like my employer will be cancelling all elective surgeries and all but essential office visits since we are supposed to be setting the example.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

Just finished baking cookies for the first time in a decade. OMG the smell alone made me gain a pound. Mmmmm good. 

Mine look better than Anna’s. I put a whole bag of chocolate chips in mine. 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

now that i cancelled my texas trip for next week,

Okay, this is GREAT NEWS! I wasn’t going to be all nag nag about it, if I could help it, but I was worried about you. Hooray!

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

To no one's surprise, Cuyahoga County, where Cleveland is located, has announced a shut-down for the next 30 days of all but essential businesses and a stay-at-home advisory.

I have a very small family now and those I do have all live in Cuyahoga. My sister retired from the Cleveland Clinic and my niece-in-law, who is very pregnant, works there. None of them are stupid or reckless but I know they have relatives on the other side that are of the “it’s a hoax and will all magically go away after November 3” mindset. It’s been all I can do to keep my mouth shut about their plans. 
So thanks for posting this... I hope it makes staying safe easier for them.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 9
56 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Y'all are freaking me out! I have one or two gifts, but I haven't really started my Christmas shopping full force yet. I need to get on that because I always mail some of my gifts to friends and family out of state. 

I have 4 grands to buy for, 2 sons, 2 DIL and DH. I have exactly 2 items. And the twin grands birthday is 12/29. At least I don't have to mail anything!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

don't let me being done freak you out - we scaled way back this year. oldest 3 grands are getting new comforters. at 9, 7 and 5 they are over princess castles, ninja turtles and Paw patrol.  New ones, Disney Descendants, Atlanta Falcons and Sharks.

and then books, books and more books.  they are all crazed readers😀

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

...and because I’m a tricia space hog, my baby son and wife are preggers, and it’s a girl.  My first given name is Zelma (which apparently is weirder than I thought since spellcheck argued with me through 5 tries).  They know they want Marie as a middle name, as it’s a strong name in our family (and the mothers middle name).  I’ve been calling this child Zelly Marie and I’m just not getting a strong TEN on the vibe meter.  They both have declared they like unusual names, so THERE YOU GO!!!  Done and DONE. 

I like Zelma Marie, it has the same edgy vibe of Zelda without the video game association. 

• Love 8