Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I was a walker.  We were two blocks from the school, so I would walk home for lunch and then just walk right back.  If I remember correctly the school got rid of the walker lunch maybe when I was in second grade, and I just had to bring one in.  When my first grade teacher found out I had chicken pox I got to walk home from afternoon session with a note from the nurse in my hand.  Because our house was so close the teacher told my mother later she could see me out the huge front windows skipping all the way home.  

Love Schoolhouse Rock - Sufferin' Til Sufferage!

Cried huge big tears when Captain passed, and Mr Rogers, along with local Chicago morning show host Ray Rayner.  They become your friends, and when they pass so does a piece of your childhood.  They were my safe friends, and in some ways I think kids connected more to them than parents at times.  I know I did.  

• Love 2

What about Bunny Rabbit ?   He was my fave on Capt. Kangaroo.

Locally we had 2 children's shows, Barnaby who had spock ears and Woodrow the woodsman.  Barnaby in later years was drunk on air and he took time off. :)

We also had at Christmas time, Mr. Jingle a Ling. He had a song and he ting a linged !     We could visit him downtown and get a key to the kingdom.

We had no fundie anything where I grew up, but every Sunday there was a preacher on tv and I would watch, fascinated by his antics.   My parents could hear me singing along with the theme song, God is the Answer.     They then went to the basement for a laugh.

• Love 2

Referring to my second grade teacher as "Miss Kathy" on Sundays, "Miss Miller" on Mondays

My friend's son had a similar school situation (couldn't figure it out!)

There's a teacher that looks a lot like Melanie but her name is Mrs Smith

Mrs Melanie Smith (not her actual name) is a wonderful teacher of the deaf in our area She was teaching our children (along with another teacher) in an integrated preschool where first names were used (our kids are in their mid 20s- so its been awhile)  Melanie assisted a boy with a cochlear implant.  She moved on to Kindergarten with him and became Mrs Smith!

Edited by springtime

Any older Detroiters here?  Do you remember Milky's Party Time and the Jingles show?

My beleaguered husband says the secret word is Twin Pines, and Jerry Booth was on channel 9.

Ohmigosh.

We didn't get the channel that carried Romper Room and I was so disappointed that I would never hear my name! And for some odd reason I remember a Do-Bee character. Don't be a Don't-Bee!

But I was best friends with the Captain! And Mr. Green Jeans and of course Bunny Rabbit and Mr. Moose. And Miss Frances. My brother was more into Howdy Doody but I watched.

Our local guy was Axel and his show was Axel's Treehouse. If I remember correctly Axel was portrayed as what would be considered today a rather insulting Scandinavian sterotype. But he lived in a treehouse!

I had forgotten that copies were called "dittos" but I can still smell them.

Wow. Thanks for the steps back in time. Too fun!

• Love 1

My beleaguered husband says the secret word is Twin Pines, and Jerry Booth was on channel 9.

Your beleaguered husband is absolutely correct and I hope you feel duly honored being let in on the secret! :)

They made a mini theme park Boofland in Windsor and my brownie troop went there.  Jerry Booth was hanging out incognito but my best friend recognized him and marched up to him, bold as brass, and said "Aren't you Jerry Booth?"  (Ellen was not shy)  He took one look at all our hopeful faces under our brownie beanies and went and put on the costume so we could all have pictures with him.  Nice man!

Man it's been a long week. Figaro is doing much better- no throwing up, he's eating, he's taking his meds, everything's great. But I've been taking care of my brother because he got an abscess that turned out to be MRSA. Had to take him to the ER to get it lanced, then to his doctor to get the packing removed because it was too painful for him to drive, and I've just been bringing him food and movies and stuff. I also get the house to myself since my better half is camping until Friday in New York and I would rather have hot screws jammed under my toenails than camp. So it's just me and the kitties, and me caring for my brother and his kitties. Just thought I'd give you guys an update. Thanks for your support.

• Love 15

I remember my baby brother watching Ding Dong School and shouting "NO!!" At her. She got on his last baby nerve.

Who remembers the Howdy Doody Show? I'm 71 .5

Your brother was a smart kid, lookeyloo. I just took a quick look at 'Ding Dong School' Miss Frances making a peanut butter, banana and lettuce sandwich on YouTube. And she would have gotten on my last baby nerve too. Bore-ring!

• Love 1

I was a walker.  We were two blocks from the school, so I would walk home for lunch and then just walk right back.  If I remember correctly the school got rid of the walker lunch maybe when I was in second grade, and I just had to bring one in.  When my first grade teacher found out I had chicken pox I got to walk home from afternoon session with a note from the nurse in my hand.  Because our house was so close the teacher told my mother later she could see me out the huge front windows skipping all the way home.  

Love Schoolhouse Rock - Sufferin' Til Sufferage!

Cried huge big tears when Captain passed, and Mr Rogers, along with local Chicago morning show host Ray Rayner.  They become your friends, and when they pass so does a piece of your childhood.  They were my safe friends, and in some ways I think kids connected more to them than parents at times.  I know I did.  

So true. I bawled like a baby when the Captain, Mr Green Jeans died too. They were very much part of my everyday childhood - for years - and it was heartbreaking to lose a portion of that. Bless them all for the wonderful things they brought to kids everywhere.

• Love 1

I was around for the start of Electric Company and Sesame Street, so those were favorites, but we also had the Captain and Hodge Podge Lodge and Wonderama with Bob McAlister and Zoom. 

Fred Rogers was basically my secret dad.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

School House Rock! Conjunction junction what's your function ...

And After School Specials.

I was thinking of these! School House Rock served me well.  It helped me out during many a test.  The ABC After School Specials were great, and always featured the most popular teens in entertainment at the time.  And of course, I loved all of the Sid and Marty Kroft shows that came on every afternoon!

Barb, I believe your husband nailed it.

HFChick, these are never words a spouse wants to hear! (or read)

Edited by zenme
  • Love 1

That's great news about Figaro Mindy - thanks for the update.  Sorry about your brother though - I had a bug bite go really bad on me once, and thankfully it was just an O/P kind of overnight feedbag-o-meds situation.  Damn man though, that shit is painful.  He has my sympathy.

• Love 2

Who remembers Captain Kangaroo?

I'm going to admit I'm a kindergarten failure. I was SO in love with my kindergarten teacher (somewhere on the military post is all I remember) and completely infatuated with her daughter (also in our class), who had coppery red curls and was dressed to the nines every day. But alas, I was also traumatized by leaving my mother and grandmother behind every day and had physical anxiety symptoms and had to be withdrawn. But every day, EVERY DAY, I watched Romper Room and waited to be seen. OOOOH, how I loved that show. Wendy the Weather Girl, Do Be a Good Bee, and "romper, stomper, bomper, boo...tell me, tell me, tell me do..." And that God-awful cardboard car!!! And then Captain Kangaroo right after, with the ping-pong balls and Mr. Moose. As an adult, I cried real, actual TEARS when Mr. Green Jeans died! I would curl up every day in the "big" chair with my Granny and she would watch those two silly shows right with me. (The payoff for making me play board games with her, and I watched Concentration with her!)

(

I was on Romper Room.

Lord have mercy, I am SOOOOO jealous!!!!!

I played piano for many, many years in various churches in this area, and no one ever dictated what I could and could not play. In one church, the organist would play the prelude music (while I went through the morning's special with the choir one last time). Then I would play the benediction. Now, I never watched Howdy Doody, or Roy Rogers, or the original Mickey Mouse club - I came along just after those had come and gone. But my brothers did, so I knew something about them (and I guess I saw re-runs). So one Sunday when it was time for the postlude, I launched into a happy toe-tappin' version of Happy Trails. It was as if a giant magnet had been uncovered. The whole entire crowd of people 7-10 years older than me drew right up to the piano, BEAMING! They LOVED it!

And one time (just for kicks), in the more informal Sunday evening service, I played (without warning anyone) the "LISTEN: Stand Up!!!" trill from my childhood Bible school days, and when the congregation music was over, I tinkered out "LISTEN: Sit Down!!!". The music director (who had a sense of humor) snorted a little, but the pastor wasn't as amused. Imagine trying to conduct a service with ME on a keyboard!!! Hahaha!!! But - it happened for many, many moons.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 9

That's great news about Figaro Mindy - thanks for the update.  Sorry about your brother though - I had a bug bite go really bad on me once, and thankfully it was just an O/P kind of overnight feedbag-o-meds situation.  Damn man though, that shit is painful.  He has my sympathy.

Ouch! They are pretty sure his started as an ingrown hair, and he works as a mechanic which is a pretty dirty job as it is. It's been really hot, so the dirt and grime, mixed with the sweat from the heat just created the perfect storm. Plus, it's on his hip, right where he wears his belt. He's pretty miserable, but luckily it hasn't spread and he hasn't had a fever. They were able to lance it in the ER and he squeezed the life out of my hand! (I watched the whole thing while he was turning grey- I'm fascinated by that stuff. I watch botfly removal videos on YouTube in my free time, but this was a little more intense just because it was my brother that it was attached to.) He's one of those people that will go to work no matter what, but he was in so much pain from this that he didn't go in and sent me a picture of it and I was like "yeah, bro, I'm coming over and taking you to the hospital." He could barely walk, and since it's actually MRSA I made the right call. He really didn't want to go, but he defers to me on health matters. He's on a couple different antibiotics and norco for the pain, so he should be okay.

• Love 2

I'm going to admit I'm a kindergarten failure. I was SO in love with my kindergarten teacher (somewhere on the military post is all I remember) and completely infatuated with her daughter (also in our class), who had coppery red curls and was dressed to the nines every day. But alas, I was also traumatized by leaving my mother and grandmother behind every day and had physical anxiety symptoms and had to be withdrawn. But every day, EVERY DAY, I watched Romper Room and waited to be seen. OOOOH, how I loved that show. Wendy the Weather Girl, Do Be a Good Bee, and "romper, stomper, bomper, boo...tell me, tell me, tell me do..." And that God-awful cardboard car!!! And then Captain Kangaroo right after, with the ping-pong balls and Mr. Moose. As an adult, I cried real, actual TEARS when Mr. Green Jeans died! I would curl up every day in the "big" chair with my Granny and she would watch those two silly shows right with me. (The payoff for making me play board games with her, and I watched Concentration with her!)

( Lord have mercy, I am SOOOOO jealous!!!!!

I played piano for many, many years in various churches in this area, and no one ever dictated what I could and could not play. In one church, the organist would play the prelude music (while I went through the morning's special with the choir one last time). Then I would play the benediction. Now, I never watched Howdy Doody, or Roy Rogers, or the original Mickey Mouse club - I came along just after those had come and gone. But my brothers did, so I knew something about them (and I guess I saw re-runs). So one Sunday when it was time for the postlude, I launched into a happy toe-tappin' version of Happy Trails. It was as if a giant magnet had been uncovered. The whole entire crowd of people 7-10 years older than me drew right up to the piano, BEAMING! They LOVED it!

And one time (just for kicks), in the more informal Sunday evening service, I played (without warning anyone) the "LISTEN: Stand Up!!!" trill from my childhood Bible school days, and when the congregation music was over, I tinkered out "LISTEN: Sit Down!!!". The music director (who had a sense of humor) snorted a little, but the pastor wasn't as amused. Imagine trying to conduct a service with ME on a keyboard!!! Hahaha!!! But - it happened for many, many moons.

Happy - your stories are making me wish I had lived in your neighborhood when I was a kid. Even though I adored where I did live, along the southern shore of Lake Ontario in New York State - just 12 feet and a concrete breakwall away from the Lake...

• Love 1

( Lord have mercy, I am SOOOOO jealous!!!!!

I really wish I'd been there for that. :)

• Love 2

I'm too young for Romper Room (I'm 32) but I do remember Captain Kangaroo! Not well, but I remember watching it. I have better memories of Mister Rogers. There's a fabulous kids show now called Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood that my daughter has adored since she was a baby. It's very much in the spirit of Mister Rogers, and has terrific music. I've read a few articles things about him recently and I'm almost always a puddle of tears because he just sounds like such an amazing human being.

And on the subject of shots: my daughter is actually done with shots till kindergarten but of course she doesn't know that. She has a pretty brutal cold right now and I can't find any cold medicine for her age (apparently 2 year olds never need cold relief??). I was talking to a store pharmacist today about other options and said "we'll give it a shot" to one of his recommendations. As we're walking away, my daughter bursts into tears and tells me "I no want a shot! I don't like it!" Poor literal girl!

Edited by Jenniferbug
  • Love 5

Happy - your stories are making me wish I had lived in your neighborhood when I was a kid. Even though I adored where I did live, along the southern shore of Lake Ontario in New York State - just 12 feet and a concrete breakwall away from the Lake...

Jealous for the second time today.  There's something about the Great Lakes that just get in your blood.  I've lived away from Michigan over 30 years but I will always feel a pull.

In other news, all this TV talk made me nostalgic enough to go buy mac & cheese in a box to make for dinner.  Let's just say that some things are better left memories.  :)  The Labrador is happy, though.

• Love 5

I meant to say that our local kids-show guy was Officer Don (portraying a police officer) on the Popeye Club. They would always have a local audience of children, and Officer Don would have them participate in silly games. It was great fun, they would eat a stack of crackers and have to be the first one to whistle. And there were the oooey gooey bags where most had prizes in bags, but at least one would have a gooey mess inside, and the kid would draw out their hand with glop all over their fingers. Great silly afternoon show. Curious, I googled him and he's still alive! YAY, Officer Don!!!

And do y'all remember how the cartoon shows back in the day all started with a sponsor lead in? I know one was Skippy peanut butter. The only one I remember specifically was that Welch's grape jelly was the lead-in for the Flintstones. There was a giant pot with a steam coil, and the commercial talked about how they captured every drop of goodness in Welch's grape jelly.

• Love 3

Here in the Bay Area, our kids' show when I was a little back in the early 70's was Charley and Humphrey. They were actually hand puppets. LOL Charley was a horse, and Humprey was some kind of dog who wore one of those apple core necklaces that were all the rage back then on top of his Raiders sweatshirt (back when the Raiders were worth talking about). 

I've been kind of slow on the uptake this week because my sister passed away Monday night. My sister and I are pissed off because she lived in North Carolina and cut off contact from us before last Christmas. We knew she was ill, but presumed she just wanted to do her chemo in peace. We had no clue she was terminal! My BIL covered for her, telling my sister that she cut off local folks when she got the typical round of "I'll be praying for you" etc. My militantly atheist sister wasn't having any of that! Sadly, her behavior doesn't shock me; she came out here when both of our parents were near the end, but flew home the day after they passed, not even staying for either memorial. She may sound really wretched, but she was actually quite awesome, and I will miss her terribly. My BIL hopes to start some kind of animal shelter or sanctuary in her name. Like me, she had no children, just furbabies. 

Thanks for letting me vent (not like you had much choice, LOL). :)

• Love 18

I don't remember watching any kids shows as a kid. My father had iron clad control of the TV when he got home from work, and during the day...my mother did. I do remember having to be absolutely silent during the 6pm news. We didn't even have cable TV until I was in college. 

My parents were assholes. 

SewSumi I am so very sorry for the loss of your sister. No matter the state of sibling closeness, I can only imagine how painful that loss must be. Sending you light and healing thoughts, which hopefully will reach u soon since I too am in the Bay Area. Hugs.

• Love 4

Your brother was a smart kid, lookeyloo. I just took a quick look at 'Ding Dong School' Miss Frances making a peanut butter, banana and lettuce sandwich on YouTube. And she would have gotten on my last baby nerve too. Bore-ring!

I had a look at it on YouTube, and good god woman, quit stalling, shut up and make the friggen sandwich!
  • Love 1

I was already taller than David Cassidy by the time I was 11. At the time, I didn't think see why that should stand in the way of our true love. My black and white poster of his face (ordered from the back of Teen Beat) was taller than both of us.

Am I nuts, or did dittos smell an awful lot like dry erase markers?

As a retired teacher I also think dittos smelled like dry erase markers. I felt like I could get a little high doing too much dittoing. 

• Love 3

SewSumi, I am sorry about the loss of your sister. My son suffers terribly from the loss of his sister and people forget he has suffered a loss too.

It is too bad she did not tell you it was terminal but bless her, she thought she was protecting you from hurt.

• Love 2

You all are fabulous human beings, just saying. My thoughts out to everyone who lost family, either furry or not. And WanderWoman I don't know if you tried the American Cancer society, but they have people who might be able to hook you up in some with support services. (http://www.cancer.org/AboutUs/HowWeHelpYou/ContactUs/Index or 1-800-227-2345), seriously reach out to them and you might find some amazing people.

Me and my dislocated kneecap are feeling mighty lucky right now and now I'm remembering about the SRA reading program which taught me to speed read and get into all kinds of trouble in college. I read fast, finshed all exams early so they thought I was cheating. Or stupid. Ugh.

• Love 3

Sew, that is just tragic all around. What a mess! I am so so sorry for the way you were cut off before her passing. You must feel cheated, and I'm not sure where you put those kinds of feelings. I'm happy they are doing the animal thing in her honor, that's a very good thing!

• Love 3

I'm so sorry for your loss Sew Sumi. That's so sad. We all have our own way of dealing with illness. I personally will push all but a couple of people away from me while I vent about how bad I feel on the internet, so I get your sis here. And I agree, the animal shelter in her name sounds wonderful.

• Love 1

Thanks one and all for your well wishes, prayers, and words of encouragement. They mean so much to me. <3

I agree that my sister was both trying to protect us, but also trying to protect herself. Her form of cancer (a brain tumor called glioblastoma) is very aggressive and nearly impossible to treat, even with surgery. Chemo doesn't do well, because it can't pass certain barriers. Five year life expectancy, even with surgery, is very low. With no treatment, average expectancy is only 7 months. She never let on how long she'd known before she told us, but as it stands, she only lived about 9 1/2 months after she gave us the diagnosis. I forgot to mention, she also didn't want any kind of memorial. It's weird, but I would have liked a life celebration to give me some kind of closure. 

• Love 5

Much sympathy on the loss of your sister, SewSumi. The idea of an animal shelter in her name is a wonderful, pro-active way to not only remember her, but to do some actual, productive good as well. I hope all your memories of your sister are warm and happy ones that make you smile...

• Love 1

Glioblastoma is a horrible, aggressive cancer. I can understand why your sister took the road she did, SewSumi. Still, I'm with you that a memorial would have been nice, even though it's more for loved ones than the decedent. Is it possible that you, your sister, and some of the people that knew and loved her could get together informally and just share memories of her over dinner or something? So it's not really a wake, not really a memorial, but just a celebration of the person you knew and loved.

• Love 7

It's little comfort, Sew Sumi, but my MIL had the same cancer and reacted the same way.  There is something there about not wanting people to see them deteriorate.  My sympathies and also encouragement to do what you need to do for your grief. 

• Love 2

Sew Sumi - my ex - the father of my sons, had that same tumor and it was quite the ordeal. Maybe she wasn't in her "right mind". Unless her actions were typical of her. Regardless it is sad all the way around.

Sew Sumi ~ I am truly so sorry for your loss. I have lost 2 sisters ... one who was an extension of me and who I talked to every day and I was a mess when she passed ... and another ... not so much. Both pains are the same, however. I only have one more sister left. Unfortunately in the "not so much" column.

I am very, very sorry for your loss.

Sew Sumi- I'm sorry for your loss.

From another thread

EDITED to add: My English aunt used to have a birthday cake for Jesus, when her grandchildren were small. On Christmas Eve she'd gather the little kids around the cake and they would sing happy birthday to Jesus. I don't know if she just made that up herself, or if it was a custom from her childhood, but I thought it was rather sweet. She was not all that religious herself, BTW.

My Catholic church did this.  I think now they might not because the parish is freaking huge.

• Love 1