Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve never heard it called that! “Bird bath” is the term in familiar with (Chicagoian). Yes many people (especially with mobility issues) have to bird bath for an extended period of time. My Mom did it for a few weeks before her shower conversion because she was scared of stepping over the tub. She doesn’t have hair (head is shaved) so no worries about that. 

It’s interesting to hear what everyone calls it!  For us it has always been a sink bath!  

• Love 3

I had to sink bath for nine weeks when I ruptured my Achilles’ tendon because I couldn’t get my cast wet. It wasn’t until about 3-4 days before the final cast came off that I learned thee were actual cast covers that work.   I could not wait until I could get in the tub again. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Anyone else feeling like this today? 👀

Chewing Gum Reaction GIF

(I wish i could sleep!) 😭

I have to work until 5 and then plan on watching the latest version of Emma with Anna Taylor-Joy and reading a romance novel.  No need to get all worked up today when we won't know until at least tomorrow if not next month.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I am addressing this to @Happyfatchick because I think it was you who did the original post & I love your posts..  You were out driving and passed a funeral procession that was mainly just the casket (a rather sparse one at that) on some sort of trailer being pulled a tractor. (I was picturing a type like a John Deere.) We were discussing if this was legal & someone decided or knew the legalities of funerals & it was legal. 

This story cracks me up & comes to mind every time I see a conventional or non-conventional funeral procession go by.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have to work until 5 and then plan on watching the latest version of Emma with Anna Taylor-Joy and reading a romance novel.  No need to get all worked up today when we won't know until at least tomorrow if not next month.

I've barely watched the news on TV for a few days now. Last night I rediscovered Rosemary & Thyme on Britbox and watched a few episodes. I'd watched pretty much the whole series a few years ago, but I tend to forget details of shows like that, so after a few years it's kind of like seeing it for the first time. (Okay, sometimes I'll remember at least part of a plot but usually I still enjoy the re-watch.) I like the main characters on that show, and adore all the lovely landscapes, gardens, and houses/buildings on fine display in each episode. I will probably watch that this evening. 'Cause yeah I'm feeling stressed and distractions do help. 

• Love 6

Scarlett45:  glad to see there is another steel cut oats fan!  
I have found that by cooking them in my instant pot that I don’t have to worry about stirring them or burning them.  Just add water and oats, put the top on, set it and forget it.  Ready in less than 30 minutes.  I usually make a pot on the weekend and package it in individual portions for the week.

I’ll generally add raisins, cinnamon or chopped apples.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

I have found that by cooking them in my instant pot that I don’t have to worry about stirring them or burning them.  Just add water and oats, put the top on, set it and forget it.  Ready in less than 30 minutes.  I usually make a pot on the weekend and package it in individual portions for the week.

I like blueberries, flaxseed, chopped almonds and cinnamon. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, Quof said:

That's a Whore's Bath, or Tops and Tails. 

I had an aunt who called it a PTA ('pussy, tits and armpits').

Waited in line almost 2 hours this morning to vote.  I've never waited more than 15 minutes in my 45 years as a registered voter.  Most people in very positive frame of mind, excited and happy about the turnout.  One guy in line wearing a cap with a candidate's name on it was rude to the poll worker who asked him to remove it upon entering the building (we stood outside in line around the building for the first hour and 45).  Otherwise, a positive experience.

I stopped watching the national news over the weekend and don't plan to pick up again until next weekend-maybe.  And I've been much calmer and more settled since I quit.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 9
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Back in the day on the Deadwood forum, we used to call them whore baths! At least that was where I first heard that term. 

Yep, whore's bath.  I learned that from my mother and I wonder where she learned it.  She didn't have all the bad language I use...

Ah, Deadwood. Where cursing was poetic and operatic.

• Love 9

I'm anxious and tense and ready for this day (and the next few, probably) to be over. I'm basically turning off the news and trying not to stress eat. Stress drinking is still on the table, lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

@Jynnan tonnix She looks like Princess Charlotte. She’s adorable and I love her dress. Thank you for sharing 

I thought I had sent the above comment. I really need to slow down. 

@BetyBee and @Zella Ah, I am  huge Deadwood fan too. I would have hoped for another movie, but doubt Milch will ever be up to writing it and nobody could write those characters like he could. 

• Love 5

Medical MJ is legal in my state, and my husband and I both have our cards.  If I use any, it's just enough to take the edge off my anxiety.  Yesterday I was so tense I used a lot more than usual and it barely registered in my system.  By late this afternoon, I was already taking a dose, and if I'm not feeling better soon, I will be digging into my supply again.  I don't like getting loopy, but this might be one of those times when getting a bit loopy is good.

I'm avoiding the news until I see how the early results look, but my husband is already glued to the set.  This will probably be one night when he doesn't fall asleep in his chair!!

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

I'm avoiding the news until I see how the early results look, but my husband is already glued to the set.  This will probably be one night when he doesn't fall asleep in his chair!!

Ditto here (he's upstairs watching.)

I'm watching the Twilight Zone(s) that I recorded...if I'm going to be anxious, I might as well be entertained at the same time.🙃  

PS...there are so many things they did in these old episodes that we don't do anymore! Smoking anywhere and everywhere...little kids just casually going places with strangers...cRaZy sexism, etc...

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, MonicaM said:

Medical MJ is legal in my state, and my husband and I both have our cards.  If I use any, it's just enough to take the edge off my anxiety.  Yesterday I was so tense I used a lot more than usual and it barely registered in my system.  By late this afternoon, I was already taking a dose, and if I'm not feeling better soon, I will be digging into my supply again.  I don't like getting loopy, but this might be one of those times when getting a bit loopy is good.

I wish it was legal in Texas.

• Love 6

Chiming in here.  We called it a sponge bath in front of non family members.  In private we called it a “Spit and a Promise”

When I was in a cast from ankle to thigh for a fractured knee cap I would do the Spit and a Promise on weekends when I wasn’t leaving the house.  Saved doing the garbage bag taped to my thigh to have a shower on work days.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I am addressing this to @Happyfatchick because I think it was you who did the original post & I love your posts..  You were out driving and passed a funeral procession that was mainly just the casket (a rather sparse one at that) on some sort of trailer being pulled a tractor. (I was picturing a type like a John Deere.) We were discussing if this was legal & someone decided or knew the legalities of funerals & it was legal. 

This story cracks me up & comes to mind every time I see a conventional or non-conventional funeral procession go by.

This cracks ME up that you remember that!!  
the original story was about my BIL.  He lived in South Georgia, alone after his wife (my half sister) died.  He drove truck, and all 4 of his sons drive trucks long distance.  He suddenly fell ill with heart problems, and had to give up driving, planning to heal and get back on the road.  His daughter (a nurse) in Arkansas worried about him being alone, so she flew over here and drove him (in his own pickup truck) back to her house.  The goal was for him to get better and drive home.  No one (NO ONE!) realized how truly sick he was , and shortly after he got to Arkansas, he DIED!  He was only 63.  

So now she has a dead father and his truck at her house.  One of the brothers was in a Louisiana with an empty flatbed, and he said “I’ll come get him”.  They actually contacted all the states he would be traveling through to get back to Georgia and found out they could, in fact, bring him home on their own, but he had to be in a casket.  And here is how they solved that issue:

image.thumb.jpeg.7fb5994e81085d4c6d17b934320c40bc.jpeg

Edited by Happyfatchick
Typos
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, marypat57 said:

I love making oatmeal using steel cut oats in my slow cooker. I add apples and cinnamon too. I put the ingredients in the slow cooker at bedtime and let it cook overnight. It’s my favorite wintertime breakfast. 

• Useful 1

I've flipped through two new cookbooks, planned meals for the next week, ordered produce and groceries, and finished a martini while half-tracking election results on CNN. The cookbooks and food planning have helped with my anxiety level (maybe also the martini).

• Love 6

Binge watched the first season of Frasier. It's weird watching shows from the 90s and going "WOW. That joke would not fly today."

Borat back in 2003 and 2004 is another example of comedy that wouldn't work today either. A friend was complaining about how tame the second movie was. I was like uhhhhhh... Let's all re-watch the first one. You'll see why. 

He did with his girlfriend as she never saw the first movie or Da Ali G Show. She made it to "Throw the Jew Down the Well" before leaving the room.

I'm all for social experiments. 

(Also please don't throw Jews down wells, it's not very nice)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Binge watched the first season of Frasier. It's weird watching shows from the 90s and going "WOW. That joke would not fly today."

Borat back in 2003 and 2004 is another example of comedy that wouldn't work today either. A friend was complaining about how tame the second movie was. I was like uhhhhhh... Let's all re-watch the first one. You'll see why. 

He did with his girlfriend as she never saw the first movie or Da Ali G Show. She made it to "Throw the Jew Down the Well" before leaving the room.

I'm all for social experiments. 

(Also please don't throw Jews down wells, it's not very nice)

Frasier will always be my happy place show! I’ve seen all episodes so many times.

• Love 7

Frasier is one of those rare shows I will never get sick of. I ended up finding it through re-runs and enjoy watching it immensely. 

The writers were smart enough to realize they weren't physicians/psychiatrists and to not go overboard with jokes about it. Especially ones that may not be accurate.

Compare that to the Big Bang Theory... Wellllllll...

• Love 5

Frasier is one of the few shows that has ever made me laugh uncontrollably on several different occasions.  No matter how many times I see my favorite episodes, I laugh out loud.  The combination of great writing and great acting puts it number one on my list of favorite television programs.  

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Frasier is one of the few shows that has ever made me laugh uncontrollably on several different occasions.  No matter how many times I see my favorite episodes, I laugh out loud.  The combination of great writing and great acting puts it number one on my list of favorite television programs.  

I've never watched a single episode of Frasier, it must have been a busy time in my life when it came out.

I need to figure out where I can try it , because I don't see sleep as an option right now. I got creeped out by watching the Twilight Zone all by my lonesome so I had to quit that.😨   

Ps found Frasier on Hulu..yay 🙂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7

I never seen Frasier or Friends.

I just finished the Parkers on Netflix. That show would have been canceled today real quick. Nicki Parker sexually harasses the professor in every episode. I didn’t find it funny either. How it ends is even worse. Yikes.

@PikaScrewChu

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 5