Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, awaken said:

They would!  But it would be very sluttish for them to post their bellies!

No. Just no. I suppose if that’s some bizarre twisted internal family’s idea of a hoot that’s on them, but keep it to yourselves. Ain’t nobody else needs to see that, EVER.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, awaken said:

They would!  But it would be very sluttish for them to post their bellies!

They wouldn’t post their bellies, but would find a way to post it on a t-shirt (oops, I meant blouse).  Of course, they would be holding their bellies as most fundies do..

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

@Jynnan tonnix, hope you are still feeling well and not having  symptoms from the fall. That is SCARY!

Yeah, doing fine, thanks. I'm still awake because I was a little afraid to go to sleep, but I don't have any lingering effects at all that I notice. Started watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix and got two and a half episodes through now. A bunch of people on Facebook were raving about it and I got curious. It really is very good so far.  I suppose I should call it a night, though.

• Love 14
Just now, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yeah, doing fine, thanks. I'm still awake because I was a little afraid to go to sleep, but I don't have any lingering effects at all that I notice. Started watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix and got two and a half episodes through now. A bunch of people on Facebook were raving about it and I got curious. It really is very good so far.  I suppose I should call it a night, though.

Glad you are doing well!
Mr. Dance and some of our friends started that series too, and really like it. Guess I should also give it a look.

Have a nice sleep!

• Love 7

I think the Queen’s Gambit is worth a look, at minimum, for the beautiful sets/costumes. And the acting is universally good— though it was temporarily distracting to notice that the main character’s two frenemy-rival-romantic interests were Dudley Dursley and Liam Neeson’s Love Actually son. 

My one issue was 

Spoiler

The total lack of response to this girl/woman dominating a stereotypically male game in the 1960s. Yes, it showed up in her press coverage. But not ONE of the men and boys against whom she competed was an asshole about it? ALL of them respected the trailblazer and were just concerned for her well-being? That’s what breaking down a sex barrier looks like?

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Good morning, folks. I'm not watching much news on TV right now and therefore missed all the reminders they give about the time change back to standard time. It crossed my mind a few times yesterday but I forgot about it at bedtime. So my alarm went off and when I looked at my mobile phone on the bedside I realized my clock radio (remember the good old original Bose Wave Radio from c. 2000? Yep that one.) was an hour early. Gah. But I knew I wasn't going back to sleep so I got up and have been adjusting the clocks that need it. This really is oh-dark-thirty. But I'm sipping coffee and checking in on emails and websites. Looks like it will be a nice day. When it starts, lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That reminds me. We watched Lark Rise to Candleford, based on the recommendations here and finished all seasons. It was lovely! Now we have BritBox and are watching the very old series, All Creatures Great & Small, which I must have watched in the 70s, but I barely remember it, so it's like new for me. I read all of Herriot's books too, but that was a very long time ago. 

I'm kind of a sucker for dog books, including A Dog's Purpose. Recently the latest book of W. Bruce Cameron's came out and I'm saving it to read on election day. 

Happy Sunday & Happy November as well to all Small Talkers. My positive for today is that I have been managing to stay in my points (on WW) for a full week....after months of doing not so well. I have been staying away from candy, which is not easy during Halloween!

Edited by BetyBee
New book is "A Dog's Perfect Christmas"
  • Love 14

My husband, kids and I were just invited to an "outdoor" Thanksgiving. In a barn, with a dozen or so other friends. I politely declined, while in my head saying, fuck no. 

It sounds beautifully rustic and is something I would love to do, but not during a pandemic. And while this barn is quite drafty, its not the same as being outside. Some folks are just fooling themselves with certain accommodations. Even limiting party size only reduces the odds, because if one person has it, everyone is likely to get it.

• Love 22

Can my positive for the day be that I managed to set back the clock on my parents' ridiculous* landline phone? Well, I'm proud of myself, anyway!

*Not say all landline phones are ridiculous of course. Just saying that I shouldn't have to dial #101 to get to the clock reset menu, or if I do, that information should be available on the phone itself.

• Love 12

Day 14 of 21 of my workout challenge. tried a new video. I am seriously not coordinated enough for all this. Headed downstairs for caregiver duty. Making minestrone soup this afternoon. My moms shower remodel will come in handy. 

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

Can my positive for the day be that I managed to set back the clock on my parents' ridiculous* landline phone? Well, I'm proud of myself, anyway!

*Not say all landline phones are ridiculous of course. Just saying that I shouldn't have to dial #101 to get to the clock reset menu, or if I do, that information should be available on the phone itself.

That's absolutely a positive. It's a positive plus really, because you helped someone else. 

My landline is now I suppose technically VOIP since I switched it to Comcast a few years ago. I don't know if it's a function of my phones themselves or the system, but my landline phones reset the time the first time there's an incoming call. For some reason, that idea pierced my just-out-of-bed-too-early brain fog. Since I was holding my mobile phone, I quickly dialed the landline number - "answered" the call on my landline and hung up. And - it worked! I have since reset the rest of the "manual" clocks around here, with unusual efficiency. Must be a function of waking up an hour early.  

What's left is the clock display in my minivan. As I've mentioned, it's an old one I bought this summer. Once it became my only vehicle, I had the old radio unit replaced with a modern one. Not at all the most expensive or fancy one, but it has the features I got used to in my other car. The problem is, the user interface is ANYTHING but intuitive for me. I not only downloaded the user manual, I printed it out and put it in a little binder which I keep in the car. And now I suspect I will have to read the directions to reset the time display on that unit, which is the only "clock" on the dashboard. Yep, Honda included it in the OEM radio, blast 'em, and I'm used to having a clock in my car. So the radio display is the only option. I'm hoping there's some easy peasey way for the clock to reset itself from some secret squirrel signal in the atmosphere, lol. Wish me luck!

@Scarlett45, you are awesome. The minestrone soup sounds good, I hope your mom's recovery goes well, and just do your best with the workouts.

I've been meaning to say, @Happyfatchick, thanks for the update about @lookeyloo. And if you're reading this, Lookie, I've often thought of you and what your family is experiencing. I don't have glib words and I hope there is plenty of love and some peace along with the pain. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Now we have BritBox and are watching the very old series, All Creatures Great & Small, which I must have watched in the 70s, but I barely remember it, so it's like new for me. I read all of Herriot's books too, but that was a very long time ago. 

*waves* I don't usually post in this forum, but just to note that if you enjoyed the old All Creatures Great & Small, you might like to know that a new adaptation has just finished airing here in the UK (featuring the late, great Dame Diana Rigg in her last ever role) and it was really lovely comfort viewing, so if you keep your eyes out for it, hopefully it will make it over to your side of the Pond soon. Well worth watching out for.

• Useful 7
  • Love 13
33 minutes ago, Llywela said:

*waves* I don't usually post in this forum, but just to note that if you enjoyed the old All Creatures Great & Small, you might like to know that a new adaptation has just finished airing here in the UK (featuring the late, great Dame Diana Rigg in her last ever role) and it was really lovely comfort viewing, so if you keep your eyes out for it, hopefully it will make it over to your side of the Pond soon. Well worth watching out for.

It's going to be on PBS here in the US in January. I'm very much looking forward to it!

• Useful 5
  • Love 11

My good for the day is I got my pain med refill. It was desperately needed. Something got hung up & I had to get it today instead of yesterday.  I am not a druggie just a 58 year old lady who needs to take narcotic pain medicine. At least I like the the pharmacist &she  knows I take it and don't sell it.  God forbid I sell my pain medicine. I need it. (For all the hoops I have to jump through to get it each month, there isn't any way I'm selling it or giving it someone else. I don't want to be writing you all from my cell in the Big House. (Just kidding!)

HVe a good day everyone.  Enjoy any leftover Halloween candy.

Mr Barb is working on his Christmas shopping today - Amazon gift cards.  It's taking him a little bit because he likes to pick out the Christmas tins that Amazon sells with the gift cards..

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 14

My positives for the day - the sun is shining; the sky is a vivid autumn blue; the trees still have colorful leaves. Such a beautiful day.

I fulfilled my quest to find a lighted blue deer decoration!  It's just the right size to sit on my front steps.

• Love 16

I've been looking forward to the new All Creatures Great and Small. In addition to Dame Diana, it has Leslie from The Durrells as Tristan! As soon as I heard about that bit of casting, I got so excited because it sounds perfect. I already have a standing purchase request for it filled out at the library where I work. My boss likes to joke that she can't fill half my purchase requests because I watch and read weird, random shit nobody else is interested in, but I pretty easily convinced her of the merits of that one. 

I also finished Lark Rise to Candleford. Been meaning to post about it. I really enjoyed it, though I kind of wanted to set the whole Timmins family on fire by the end of it. But I absolutely adored the rest of the characters! Queenie was my favorite. I also had a lot of affection for Alf. I felt like that poor kid was treated like a Duggar daughter by his terrible parents. 😞 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

I am expecting my first frost Tuesday am. So my good news is that I got all my plants that can’t the cold inside into my sunroom. Also got the rest of the weeds out of the yard before they spread new pine straw (HOA). I also brought in the mint, chives and parsley because I can still clip from them most of the winter. That little bit of fresh goes a long way. Next week I’ll start some basil seeds so I can have a fresh pesto in January. It’s going to rain any time now so I’m so pleased all this got done. 

I need to go on Hulu and check out Lark Rise. I love British tv and it should be perfect for this rainy late afternoon. 
My best to everyone 💖

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Day 14 of 21 of my workout challenge. tried a new video. I am seriously not coordinated enough for all this. Headed downstairs for caregiver duty. Making minestrone soup this afternoon. My moms shower remodel will come in handy. 

@Scarlett45, have you tried any of the HasFit workouts? You can Google them. There are thousands ( ok, maybe hundreds) of them in all various lengths, intensity levels,etc.  You can find cardio or weight training.  There are ones targeting specific areas like abs, core, etc and combinations. They  have workouts for beginners and the very fit and experienced.  Most of the ones that I have seen show two options for each of the exercises and they tell you modifications you can do to match it to your fitness level. You might find some that work for you.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

@Scarlett45, have you tried any of the HasFit workouts? You can Google them. There are thousands ( ok, maybe hundreds) of them in all various lengths, intensity levels,etc.  You can find cardio or weight training.  There are ones targeting specific areas like abs, core, etc and combinations. They  have workouts for beginners and the very fit and experienced.  Most of the ones that I have seen show two options for each of the exercises and they tell you modifications you can do to match it to your fitness level. You might find some that work for you.

Thanks I will Google them!

15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My Sunday positive...How about this little one? Even though they didn't do any trick-or-treating, this was her third costume. The first was one from last year, which fit, the second was "Pete the Cat" (she loves the books), which my daughter made for her (though Grand-jynlet added a tutu, which I don't think I've ever seen Pete depicted wearing! LOL. And this was a dress I got for her a few months ago because I just couldn't resist. It's way too light to be a Halloween costume proper, but she had on a sparkly sweater with it when they came over. She definitely seems to have inherited my magpie tendencies! It's all about the sparkles! 😄

123441239_10158651452232778_5635821146777253749_o.jpg

What a cutie!  And she surely has the royal demeanor down.  

• Love 9
Just now, iwantcookies said:

My good news is no one came to trick or treat so I have 2 bags of candy for myself lol.  

My good news is that lots of folks on my street went out of their way to make sure the kids could trick or treat safely.  I actually went to Lowe's and bought a PVC pipe to make a candy chute to send goodies from my porch to the goblins on the sidewalk.  Others set up tables in the driveway.  Multiple families brought their fire pits to the front yard and sat around them roasting marshmallows and greeting the kids from afar.  I had a speaker set up with a Halloween playlist from Amazon to set the mood.  A very enjoyable evening and I actually ran out of candy for the first time in several years.  Around 100 trick or treaters; I had to go inside and shut off the porch light with about half an hour to go; which was ok with me since my Buckeyes were playing Penn State and it was time for kick-off.

Good thing last night was fun.  Windy with rain and sleet turning to snow today.  Very icky.

• Love 19
28 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My Sunday positive...How about this little one? Even though they didn't do any trick-or-treating, this was her third costume. The first was one from last year, which fit, the second was "Pete the Cat" (she loves the books), which my daughter made for her (though Grand-jynlet added a tutu, which I don't think I've ever seen Pete depicted wearing! LOL. And this was a dress I got for her a few months ago because I just couldn't resist. It's way too light to be a Halloween costume proper, but she had on a sparkly sweater with it when they came over. She definitely seems to have inherited my magpie tendencies! It's all about the sparkles! 😄

What a doll 😊

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

She's so cute!

• Love 3

My good news is I am off today and we have wonderful weather.It's 75° and sunny. I have the windows open and I potted some day lily's. I usually just leave the in the pot all year but this summer I watered them to much and they had a fungus on their leaves.I hope by taking the bulbs out of the pot and keeping them in the fridge the fungus does not come back. They were originally in front of my grandfather's house and had been planted by my grandmother over 60 years ago.

• Love 15

Good news...well even though staycation is over it was great.  Didn't go anywhere much, probably gained weight from visiting the local places for lunch, but it was still relaxing because I didn't do anything but the bare minimum of housework.  Found a coat I liked and got 40% off.  Even had blu rays delivered today, thank you very much USPS.  Watched The Queen's Gambit this week (excellent) and a few other movies/series I'd been behind on.  Finally saw my kid come out of Covid hibernation, she's officially back at work this week.  A good day and good week overall!   

• Love 20

@Jynnan tonnix she’s so grown up!!!!!!!  
I have this one grand who has my eyes - some say he looks like me, but I really think it’s just the eyes.  He just turned 3.  I love 3.  Please forgive me if I posted this before.  

61DE5E52-65AA-4096-AAC2-B80C2C9D41B8.thumb.jpeg.5b34f95d70be9fba7745b7a0a9146b30.jpegmy good news happened last night - except for my baby son’s toddler children, my other grands are all close enough within the same age parameters that they all got together and had a Halloween party last night.  I mean, they all invited a friend or two and it was all outside (but I saw a couple of them wearing masks - RESPECT!!!) it’s just so DANG fun watching them all be cousins together and enjoy a night together like that.  I hope 10, 20, 30 years down the road they’re still close enough to have get-togethers and that their children grow up knowing each other.  Makes my heart all melty.  

also, my almost 17 YO granddaughter dressed as Napoleon Dynamite.  HILARIOUS!!!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 20
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Jynnan tonnix, she's adorable! And I wish they made that dress in adult sizes.

I think the company does make a few adult styles as well, but mainly geared toward kids. The website I got it on is Trish Scully kids, and they have a good sale going on now. I might have to splurge on another style for Christmas.

• Love 5

@Happyfatchick, he's a cutie and oh my, those eyes!

My good news for this Sunday - you know, this day that I started at 4:20 AM after forgetting to set my alarm clock back last night - is that I assembled my new treadmill, and it works. Yay! My old one died and I had it hauled off last year. Now that dark days and winter weather are on the way, I'm going to enjoy being able to walk indoors. Last year when I decided not to replace my old treadmill, I thought that I could easily go over to the nearby 27 Hour Fitness location in the winter months, and use my Silver Sneakers card to get my steps in on their treadmills.

Well, these days: no. I think they have re-opened, but at my age I'd rather not run the risks of infection now that our state and local COVID case and hospitalization numbers are rising again. The new treadmill is small-ish as these things go and I decided to set it up in the living room. Now that it's in there, it sort of looms over the room. Hmm. Oh well, at least I know how to take it apart if necessary to move it into my bedroom, lol. (The deck flips up and it does have teeny tiny little built in wheels to move it with but it's not really all that easy to push around and you have to lean it back at an angle that I find a little scary. Sheesh.)

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

@Jynnan tonnix I looked up the site what beautiful dresses!

$40 gets you a beautiful dress for a child. Jill Rod the cheapo can buy her girls beautiful dresses and she won’t. I wish I could buy her girls pretty dresses.

Would Jill accept clothing donations? I suspect she'd rather have the cash. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Would Jill accept clothing donations? I suspect she'd rather have the cash. 

God would tell her daughters to pawn the dresses and use the money to buy the best mama ever a new teddy bear. Jill would be SEVERELY proud. Then she and the girls would talk about how awful it was that while shopping, they saw families that weren’t limited to mother/father/children. 

• Love 4