Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Scarlett, my cousin was diagnosed at 62. She has mixed dementia, both Vascular and Alzheimer’s. She also had several health issues, diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, osteoporosis, recurring UTIs, multiple fractures, cachexia. Vascular dementia life expectancy is around 4 years. For the Alzheimer’s stages, she’s stage 7(f). Final sub stage.  They can’t predict time frame.  On hospice for 2 yrs.  Total time since diagnosis 7 yrs. She looks so frail like a feather would knock her over.  I’ll never understand. Do you know how many healthy people around her age or younger who got sick, declined and died since she went in to MC? A lot. 

IWantCookies, so sorry you have to wait for leg surgery. I hope it’ll fly by and that you’ll feel stable til the day arrives.  I know it’s discouraging to be in pain and need help. Yes to a group hug and adult beverage, except I’m out of wine. Lol Saturday night for sure though. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

@Mrs. P., Dementia/Alzheimer’s is so common among the females in our family, all the girls in my age bracket joke about hurrying up and living before it gets us.  I cared for my mother for the last 4 years of an almost 16 year ride.  SIXTEEN YEARS!!!   I  mean, I was over here almost every day for those 16 years, but 4 years out, I became primary.  And @SunnyBeBe, it’s the WORST WORST WORST disease ever.  Although we have a not-too-often poster @MonicaM who is dealing with Parkinson’s and that’s a twin train wreck.  

This is going to sound TERRIBLE and I know it, but I had lots of years to ponder.  What’s happened is that the world of medicine has evolved so much that we literally keep people alive much longer than we probably should.  Before I took over my mothers care, I was the primary caregiver for my dad.  He was 86 and healthy as a horse - until he wasn’t.  When he suddenly wasn’t, I was dragging him all over creation, doc to doc, gathering more equipment, having more tests, looking for ANYTHING to keep him going - and when he died (at EIGHTY SIX), I felt like I’d failed him.  I’d failed to keep him alive.  My husband said “he’s 86!!!”  I said (quote) “but he was 85 LAST YEAR and he was FINE!!!”   But, honestly, I felt guilty about fighting so hard.  I did.  He did whatever I said, whenever I said, and I think I really stretched the limit.  I should have accepted gracefully, and I didn’t.  

I think I did marginally better with my mom - I mean, I absolutely KNEW she would not want to continue in her state.  I knew her well enough to know, if she’d been of sound mind, she would have said STOPPPPPPP!!!!!  But.  She wasn’t of sound mind and that’s one thing @SunnyBeBe left off - the total self centeredness.  The selfishness that takes over.  My mother - who helped strangers, bought groceries and paid bills for the less privileged, took care of the elderly and fostered many children (even adopted one) was practically screaming “don’t let me die, DAMMIT!  DO SOMETHING FOR ME!!!”  Everything was suddenly about HER.  WHO IS THIS CREATURE???

since I’m bitching my brains out anyway, let me mention one thing that DROVE ME CRAZY:  when they lose their face!!!  The blank unhinged look in the eyes.  The slackness of facial muscles because the brain doesn’t FIRE any more when their grandchild or even their CHILD walks in.  Gone.  The face goes slack, the eyes lose their sparkle.  Nobody is home.  OMG I so hate this disease.  

@Mrs. P. If your husband was diagnosed at 76, he’s not really “early onset”, which is generally a term applied to Alzheimers onset in the 50’s rage (to around 65, IIRC).   It’s really kind of 2 different things.  Honestly, the older “regular” version ought to run its course more quickly, as age related health issues should be a factor.  It technically “should” depend on how healthy he was at diagnosis.  

My mother, who also suffered Type I diabetes, should have been a short ride.  But no.  Nooooope.  For someone who had such a mountain of health issues, (a rare heart disease, high BP), she had taken really good care of herself, walked 2 miles every day, eaten a wonderful vegetable filled diet (disregarding her CFA sandwich at noon every stinking day).  This girl was in it for the long haul.  And so she stuck it out for 16 years.  I’m not complaining and I would be wiping her every day still if she were here.  It’s just brutal.  Not a disease for the faint of heart, but the patient is unaware of the havoc and upheaval all about them.  Maybe that stupid CFA increased her lifeline?  I hate it.  I hate it.  

it is horrific, it is, honestly the hardest thing you will EVER do.   @Mrs. P., don’t let yourself feel like you’ve failed when you reach your limit.  I assume you are about the same age as your husband.  I was 30 years younger than my mom and it nearly killed me.  You can only do what you can only do, and YOU are the only person on this planet who knows where that line is.  There’s no rule book for these things.  I’ve told my husband numerous times he needs to clean up his act and quit smoking - if he falls apart, I’m donating his body to science whether he’s in there or not.  Just KIDDING!!!!  (Sort of).

@iwantcookies, maybe the doctors office should try to contact your insurance for faster approval, if it’s getting worse??  Hang in there, things will be better soon!

@Scarlett45, you are my hero.  Honestly.  

• Love 16

I got hooked on soaps in my teens General Hospital, Guiding Light and All My Children were my favorite. I loved Liz and Lucky, Felicia, Mac, Lucy, and especially the Quartermaines. Sure they were dysfunctional but fun. I was a huge Danny and Michelle fan on Guiding Light, I loved Rick and Abby and hated that they broke them up, Reva, Philip, Harley, Frank  there were so many great characters. On All My Children Erica Kane, Dixie, Bianca, Ryan, Hayley, Opal, Stuart, Adam sure he was terrible but fun to watch. I watched Days of Our Lives, As the World Turns and One Life to Live off and on but never got hooked. I still remember Guiding Light and All My Children fondly even when I stopped watching them. General Hospital I'm still bitter about them turning it from a good show with a lot of great, interesting characters and fun storylines to the Sonny, Carly and Jason show. All three characters are just so horrible people who have done so many horrible things but treated like their the best. I hated and still hate all three of them for stealing AJ's son from him. AJ may not be the greatest person but he did nothing to deserve that. I hated how Jason treated the Quartermaines as if they were so much worse then him. You know a mob hitman. Sonny of course is just an asshole and treats everyone like crap. I hated seeing characters I liked suddenly shipped off, killed off or ruined to make room for their stories or their crimes somehow being worse then anything Sonny, Carly and Jason ever did. I finally gave up when I realized it wasn't ever going to go back to the show I loved nor were the three ever going to pay for all the crap they did. I still sometimes watch old episodes on Youtube.

• Love 2

@SunnyBeBe Ah to be on the Snyder farm. Holden would be harvesting the Hubbard squash that he’s need a saw to cut into for Thanksgiving. So many good memories of that show. 

Update: Mr Chemo did ok this week. I think he is adjusting to the infusions. He has next week off and then they’re adding a second drug. Just about the time he begins feeling good they wham him with a new cocktail. It could be so much worse. 

@iwantcookies The fact that you leg is looking worse doesn’t sound good. I hope you have called the MD’s office to let them know. Waiting can be the worst part of things sometimes. I hope they can move it up and get you on your road to recovery soon. 

• Love 11

I was a nurse in a memory care unit for 7 years.  It can definitely be an emotionally draining job.  I always felt so bad when my residents stopped recognizing their families.  I had a resident who was around 90 who stopped remembering her son,  If he said, "I'm your son, Mom," she would argue and yell saying, "I never had any kids."  I watched that 60 year old man break down sobbing.  It tears your heart out.  And while it was sad when they died, families would often say that in many ways their parent had died years ago when the dementia took over.  I agreed with them.  Dementia is a LONG goodbye that takes years.   So heart-wrenching.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, anyasmom said:

I was a nurse in a memory care unit for 7 years.  It can definitely be an emotionally draining job.  I always felt so bad when my residents stopped recognizing their families.  I had a resident who was around 90 who stopped remembering her son,  If he said, "I'm your son, Mom," she would argue and yell saying, "I never had any kids."  I watched that 60 year old man break down sobbing.  It tears your heart out.  And while it was sad when they died, families would often say that in many ways their parent had died years ago when the dementia took over.  I agreed with them.  Dementia is a LONG goodbye that takes years.   So heart-wrenching.

You have to do the emotional mourning years before the physical death. It makes things easier- well as easy as they can be in situation. 

@Happyfatchick you are so sweet. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I watched Passions in highschool and have been a Justin Hartley fan girl ever since. 

I was working at a super boring engineering firm in college where I was the youngest person by 20 years. I used to spend all day with headphones and Passions was broadcast on some radio station. I NEVER was able to see it but I listened to it for years!  Fast forward 10 years and when we bought our first house, the Hispanic housekeeper from Passions was my neighbor. I recognized her by her voice when she said hello to us. She thought I was crazy. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mojitogirl said:

I was working at a super boring engineering firm in college where I was the youngest person by 20 years. I used to spend all day with headphones and Passions was broadcast on some radio station. I NEVER was able to see it but I listened to it for years!  Fast forward 10 years and when we bought our first house, the Hispanic housekeeper from Passions was my neighbor. I recognized her by her voice when she said hello to us. She thought I was crazy. 

Eva Tamargo is your neighbor! Sweet. I’m sure she’s just as pretty in real life. 

• Love 3

Very nice @scarlett45!  The tile is very pretty and soft!  I had my one and only bathroom remodeled  18 months ago (also tub to walk-in shower) and I understand your sister's angst about it.  It was very stressful!

Congrats on surviving the remodel!!!

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Very nice @scarlett45!  The tile is very pretty and soft!  I had my one and only bathroom remodeled  18 months ago (also tub to walk-in shower) and I understand your sister's angst about it.  It was very stressful!

Congrats on surviving the remodel!!!

It’s not tile! It’s that acrylic polymer blend that’s just stamped to LOOK like tile!! It’s supposedly very durable and much easier to clean. Also CHEAPER!

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my. A seat! I would love a seat to making shaving my legs easier. Beautiful bathroom.

900 lbs capacity. My sister could stand and jump on it and not break it. But she doesn’t need the seat (I’m sure she will use it cause she’s lazy). The seat is for Mom to be able to rest while bathing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 10/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I watched GH during the Luke and Laura era while in college as well...1977 - 1981. There was always a crowd of us in the common room at 3:00 every afternoon, and it truly was, as you say, appointment TV.

This is when I watched, also. Although I was in high school. I remember when Luke raped Laura and then they got married. It pissed me off so much I never watched another show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

900 lbs capacity. My sister could stand and jump on it and not break it. But she doesn’t need the seat (I’m sure she will use it cause she’s lazy). The seat is for Mom to be able to rest while bathing. 

As someone who's had a knee replacement, that shower is going to be a real blessing for her post-op.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

This is when I watched, also. Although I was in high school. I remember when Luke raped Laura and then they got married. It pissed me off so much I never watched another show.

I was watching casually at that point in time and didn't see the actual episode at the time it aired, I didn't become a regular viewer until after Luke and Laura got together and were on the run.  Even TPTB on the show admitted it was a problematic storyline, written, of course, when Luke was supposed to be a short-term character who was meant to be killed off after a few months.  For a while, the show tried to pretend that it was some sort of seduction where Laura was a willing participant.  Not so much.

Of course, the story got revisited many years later when Luke and Laura's son, Lucky, found out about the rape and was incensed at his father about it.

• Love 5

I’m doing my tribute to Eddie Van Halen and Johnny Nash tonight. Went by Wine World and just relaxing and listening to some awesome music.

This version came out when I was a kid and it’s meant a lot to me over the years. RIP Johnny.  It’s gotten me through some tough times.

Sorry for all of you having a hard time lately.

My stepmom has tested positive for the virus after developing mild symptoms in the middle of this week. She's in isolation and my dad's quarantined (he's just coming off another exposure). Hoping he doesn't develop anything and her case stays mild. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

Sorry for all of you having a hard time lately.

My stepmom has tested positive for the virus after developing mild symptoms in the middle of this week. She's in isolation and my dad's quarantined (he's just coming off another exposure). Hoping he doesn't develop anything and her case stays mild. 

I hope they both recover quickly 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Does anyone know where galaxychaser has gone? Her last post is August 22nd in Small Talk.

I can’t remember how long ago, but I think I remember her saying that she tested positive for Covid. I sure hope it’s not that. 

My heart goes out to everyone watching a loved one waste away from dementia. My grandmother has had it for years and it's pretty bad at this point -- and I haven't been able to see her since the lockdowns in March. We tried FaceTiming, but she doesn't understand that we're on the phone and thinks it's just a picture. She was like a third parent to me when I was growing up, and watching her decline has been heartbreaking -- especially since at this point it's harder for me to remember what she was like when she "was herself" because it's been so long. Honestly, I do not think long life is a blessing when it comes to dementia patients. But we don't really have a choice in the matter...

On Thursday, I found out that I failed the first section of my CPA exam (the FAR section, if anyone has taken it) by 3 STINKING POINTS. Pretty frustrated, and overwhelmed when I think of how much I'll have to study for the retake. But at least I had a respectable score, I'm not totally deluded for attempting these exams lol. And I will retake it sometime this month. I'll pass this thing if it kills me, I've been working toward it for so long and I'm ALMOST there. I also want to have at least 6 months between finishing the exams this winter and starting law school next fall because I need a break from all this studying!

Some happy news, even though it's not Sunday yet -- my boyfriend met my parents today (outside, for social distancing reasons). We had lunch on my parents' porch. It went well! He's a fantastic guy.

Gorgeous bathroom, @Scarlett45! And hopefully it makes your mom easier to deal with while she's healing from her joint replacement.

Hope your parents are OK and healthy again soon, @Zella. Good to hear that it's a mild case so far, and I hope it stays that way.

• Love 20

My daughter was tested today for Covid at local ER. She has had a bad headache but she suffers from migraines as well as having lots of anxiety issues. At first the hospital didn't think she needed a test because they thought it was strictly a migraine.  However when she didn't improve with the medication, they decided to test her. So, we are all quarentining until she gets the results which is 3 to 5 days. She works in the school system but they have not had any cases reported in her school in several weeks. 

44 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

image.jpeg.49a751e949dc19c54a7cf84f242fa2d1.jpegGalaxy is fine and posting regularly.  She has some health issues but we’re all sure she’s going to be grrat after some upcoming surgery.  Scroll back up until you see a post about tater tots.  The person who posted that knows Galaxy up close and personal. 

Interesting, very interesting.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

image.jpeg.49a751e949dc19c54a7cf84f242fa2d1.jpeg

I’m still trying to delete one of my pics.  I mean... I want to leave ONE, because I’m cute for an old lady, right??  

image.png

Ok, I give up 

35 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

My daughter was tested today for Covid at local ER. She has had a bad headache but she suffers from migraines as well as having lots of anxiety issues. At first the hospital didn't think she needed a test because they thought it was strictly a migraine.  However when she didn't improve with the medication, they decided to test her. So, we are all quarentining until she gets the results which is 3 to 5 days. She works in the school system but they have not had any cases reported in her school in several weeks. 

I sincerely hope she’s clean.  This mess needs to be OVER!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Does anyone know where galaxychaser has gone? Her last post is August 22nd in Small Talk.

Someone said a couple of pages ago that they thought she changed her name. I went with that and thought she changed it to Iwantsomecookies because she joined 2 days after galaxychaser's last post. I'm probably wrong though..lol.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I'm pretty sure she became @iwantcookies, who started posting on Aug 24. The style is much the same, and I think I remember her saying something about wanting to change her username...

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Happyfatchick, have you tried highlighting it and doing "cut?"

Honestly, I swear I thought you were talking about my HAIR!!!!!!  I did the doggie head tilt and went “did I mention my hair??”  

yes, I did try to highlight and delete, and cut and swearing and throwing the phone - you know, all the usual tricks.  

@Christina87 checked in a couple weeks after school started and was swamped.  I love her love of music and teaching - we’re going to have to make her sign a contract to check in every month at least.  
Y’all don’t forget @Zoomama had surgery Thursday (I think).  She was afraid she wouldn’t be able to check for a minute so let’s don’t forget to check on her.  I have no clue how long before she feels able to respond.  

Dint forget Lookey either.  They are really really walking through the fire right now.  I cannot imagine.  

• Love 10

The past 2 weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. My brother-in-law passed away from Hodgkin's lymphoma on the 29th, two days later a close friend decided not to continue with chemotherapy and will start hospice and palliative care instead. Last Friday I had my weekly appointment with the wound doctor and he's recommending I have both my tattoos cut off and a skin graft from my thighs because the infection has gone into the fatty tissue. He doesn't usually do antibiotics, so I want a referral to the infectious disease specialist to find out if antibiotics would be an option instead of having surgery.

My 2 year-old grandson was born with heart and thyroid issues. Monday he had an ultra sound and they thought they found a mass in his abdomen. He had a CT scan on Thursday and it was gone. They've decided his bowels were full (he was constipated Monday) and that pushed his stomach out. I would think that's something they'd check before scaring the spit out of us, but at least he's okay.

Tuesday my 9 year-old grandson had an MRI to see if they could find a cause for the seizures he's been having since April. My daughter called me in hysterics Thursday morning because the receptionist told her he had a brain hemorrhage and she needed to talk to the doctor on Friday to see where what type of treatment he recommended. I took off for Spokane so I could go to the appointment with her. The first thing the doctor asked is what did the receptionist tell us. When he heard he was very apologetic. Grandson *had* a micro brain hemorrhage when he was an infant or toddler that has healed and is not an issue. There are no neurological reasons for the seizures, which is good news since all the medical reasons for seizures are not good. He said grandson has a perfectly lovely brain. So things are as okay as they can be, but that receptionist needs to be fired b/c we're not the first family she's given false information to.

Today, when I got home, my best friend told me she had to go have more blood work done because her red blood count is extremely low and the blood cells are enlarged. The doctor won't/can't give her anymore information until she gets the results back sometime next week.  

I think this year is cursed. The only year that was as bad or worst was August 2001 to June 2002. I am seriously ready to just hide in a dark closet for the next 3 months.

What a roller coaster for you, @Nysha. I can’t imagine these last two weeks you have endured. Glad the grandsons’ prognosis are improved. What a relief. So sorry for the other health issues your friends and loved ones are going through. Hugs.

• Love 6

Nysha, I would file a complaint with the office regarding the receptionist. She shouldn't be giving out medical information and she obviously can't read or can't understand what she's reading  and put you through unnecessary stress. That's horrible. 

Also, iwantcookies is galaxychaser. I didn't think that was a secret? 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

The past 2 weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. My brother-in-law passed away from Hodgkin's lymphoma on the 29th, two days later a close friend decided not to continue with chemotherapy and will start hospice and palliative care instead. Last Friday I had my weekly appointment with the wound doctor and he's recommending I have both my tattoos cut off and a skin graft from my thighs because the infection has gone into the fatty tissue. He doesn't usually do antibiotics, so I want a referral to the infectious disease specialist to find out if antibiotics would be an option instead of having surgery.

My 2 year-old grandson was born with heart and thyroid issues. Monday he had an ultra sound and they thought they found a mass in his abdomen. He had a CT scan on Thursday and it was gone. They've decided his bowels were full (he was constipated Monday) and that pushed his stomach out. I would think that's something they'd check before scaring the spit out of us, but at least he's okay.

Tuesday my 9 year-old grandson had an MRI to see if they could find a cause for the seizures he's been having since April. My daughter called me in hysterics Thursday morning because the receptionist told her he had a brain hemorrhage and she needed to talk to the doctor on Friday to see where what type of treatment he recommended. I took off for Spokane so I could go to the appointment with her. The first thing the doctor asked is what did the receptionist tell us. When he heard he was very apologetic. Grandson *had* a micro brain hemorrhage when he was an infant or toddler that has healed and is not an issue. There are no neurological reasons for the seizures, which is good news since all the medical reasons for seizures are not good. He said grandson has a perfectly lovely brain. So things are as okay as they can be, but that receptionist needs to be fired b/c we're not the first family she's given false information to.

Today, when I got home, my best friend told me she had to go have more blood work done because her red blood count is extremely low and the blood cells are enlarged. The doctor won't/can't give her anymore information until she gets the results back sometime next week.  

I think this year is cursed. The only year that was as bad or worst was August 2001 to June 2002. I am seriously ready to just hide in a dark closet for the next 3 months.

I understand the misery of all this all too well. I am so sorry. We will add you to our prayers. 

• Love 11

Sometimes it’s gets scary coming here to check in on all of you. All of you have had such trials and tribulations. We almost need to change the thread to the Prayer Closet: Followers of Job. I will send up all the positivity that I can for all of you. 2021 just has to get better. This year sucks. 

I have split pea soup with ham on the stove. It stopped pouring rain and I am reading a good book while listening to some classic rock. A comforting kind of day. My family is well and I have a lot to be grateful for. That’s my good news. 
@zoomama I’m looking forward to a good post surgery report from you. 
@Nysha I really hope things turn around for all the people that you care about. Big hug on its way. 
Prayers for Everyone on here. There can never be too many. 

• Love 12

@Mindthinker:  I am SO jealous about your split pea soup.  It is hands down my favorite.  I guess I will have to go to the Honey Baked Ham store this week and pick up a bag of their frozen ham bones.  They come in a bag of usually 2 or 3 for about $10.  It’s well worth the price, since I live alone and a whole ham is way too much for me.

I decided to try a turkey meatloaf recipe I saw on The Kitchen yesterday.  Katie Lee was making it.  It was a mush mash of Thanksgiving dinner.  You add stuffing mix, bread crumbs, onions, celery, spices, eggs and part of your cranberry sauce/ketchup glaze, mix it together, bake and serve with roasted sweet potato wedges.  I didn’t have the stuffing mix, so I tore up some leftover dinner rolls and left them out to dry. I’ll let you know how it turns out....

Scarlett:  your bathroom reno looks marvelous. I would love to have a bench in my shower..

• Love 6

@marypat57 I’ll send you some soup by magic uber. Lots of onions, celery, carrots and ham in there. I began with a slice of ham I stuck in my freezer for “in case of”. Today began gloomy with downpours, so it was a stir on the stovetop kind of day. Please let me know how that meatloaf came out. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

yes, I did try to highlight and delete, and cut and swearing and throwing the phone - you know, all the usual tricks

I found, quite by accident, you can remove quote boxes, spoiler boxes and duplicates by clicking below the unwanted box and back spacing a few times. not sure it will help in this case but worth a try

• Useful 3