Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Honeycocoa

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

On 8/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, ChiCricket said:

Just dropping in to give belated birthday wishes to @OHIOPIRATE02 , @SUZN, and  @ZELLA .

@ZOOMAMA I'm sending you good vibes.

@COUCHTATER your kitties are so cute.

On a personal note...

I've been feeling very, very lonesome and down in the dumps.

You know, if I didn't have you all to "talk" to, I wouldn't really have anyone. 

I mean, I do have my daughters, but when I feel like this, I don't want to burden them.

I don't have friends in real life. I am so shy it is not even funny.

My favorite cousin, who I could talk to about anything, went  really religious after her mom died 4 years ago.

After that happened, we still got together but we agreed not to talk about religion. Then I found out she voted for someone I can't stand. Fine. Now we didn't talk about or religion or  politics.

Now we don't talk at all because she has fallen into the Q cult and kept trying to get me to believe in it🤣 (that's all I'll say about that.) 

I just can't deal with her anymore (and now her husband is divorcing her over it)  I really miss being able to talk to her when she was sane.

Ugh sorry for unloading my *carp* on everyone.

What else?

I was relieved to hear today that my City of Chicago grands won't be going back to school in person until at least November. I was so worried.

I already knew my suburban ones are scheduled to be doing virtual starting next week.

The German ones probably will be going back, with masks, and social distancing.

The four living on a boat will continue homeschooling.

I have won the battle of the bird bugs.  

I’m new here but I have to say that the people on this thread are so nice and truly caring even tho you just met them.  There’s no judgement.  A true friend is hard to find.  They are with you in highs and lows.  We all have troubles at one time or another, and it’s good to know that somebody cares.  That is this thread and you don’t even know them.  I know what you mean about our kids.  We don’t want to burden them as they are growing up their own families, and have their own problems.  If we whine to them, they pull back.  We just have to suck it up.  Everyone is testy with this damn virus, and we don’t know when it’s going away.  Everyday is the same.  We all are restricted.  All I do is shop for groceries a little, go to doctors and watch tv, but, I guess some people have it worse with illness and other things.  I just hope the electricity doesn’t go out .. then what do we do, lol.  Nothing, God forbid.  Tomorrow is a better day.  I’m sure lots of people feel like you.  It’s probably the norm now.  Xoxo

• Like 18

15 hours ago, emma675 said:

I think I'm the Hamilton outlier of the group. I finally saw it on Disney+ and really enjoyed it (Daveed Diggs was my fave) but I haven't felt the need to watch it again. Instead, it made me want to read the book LMM based it on and learn more about the Sculyer sisters. I read the Federalist Papers a few years ago and it was fascinating. 

I actually thought I would be reading and getting a lot more home projects done while stuck in quarantine but instead I'm watching tons of sports, now that some are back. I feel really unproductive sometimes. 

If you think you're the outlier, I'm on another planet. DH and I started watching Hamilton the week it was on Disney+ and paused it when I had to get up. Neither of us has any interest in resuming. 

• Like 9
  • Surprise 1

1 minute ago, realityfan26 said:

If you think you're the outlier, I'm on another planet. DH and I started watching Hamilton the week it was on Disney+ and paused it when I had to get up. Neither of us has any interest in resuming. 

I've watched about half of it twice, when my daughter played it for us while they were here (once just her and me watching, the second time also with her husband - who is totally obsessed with it - and Mr Jyn). Both times we ended up stopping about halfway through because it was getting late. My daughter loves it as well, and even Grand-Jynlet is starting to get to know some of the songs. It's so cute when she tries to sing along to King George's Da-da-da-da-dai refrain. 

Mr Jyn ended up walking out a little over half an hour into it with no interest whatsoever, but he typically doesn't like musicals at all. He'll watch the occasional one in a theater with me, but even then we often end up leaving at intermission because he starts fidgeting, and I can't enjoy it when I start sort of seeing it through his eyes, as it were...

I did like it, but on more a level that I really appreciated the masterful writing than on an emotional one. I'll probably watch the rest of it sometime the next time they come over, but I'm not driven to finish watching it by myself. I'm sure it is the sort of thing I would get to really love once I got to know the songs better, but since they are not the type of music to which I tend to respond more viscerally, I don't know that I will actually get to that stage or not.

• Like 8

I’m in such a mood today. It feels like a Friday. I have three more hours of work but could care less. MOOD. 

After work I am going to go buy a watermelon. 

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

I'm happy today because my granddaughter's school will be remote for the foreseeable future. Thus we can still visit her (masked) now and then! 😊

• Like 12

I'm not really a musical fan, so despite being a history buff and a music fan, I never could get into Hamilton. I like Sweeney Todd and Fiddler on the Roof, and that's about it. I just don't cope well psychologically with people breaking into song. LOL

• Like 2
  • Laugh 11

Botanical gardens are open so I went. Nice and quiet barely any people around. I am having a nice time .

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m in such a mood today. It feels like a Friday. I have three more hours of work but could care less. MOOD. 

After work I am going to go buy a watermelon. 

I feel you. This project manager at work asked me to help them test something at 3:30 pm today and I said sorry, but no. I haven't had a day off in over two weeks (not even the weekend) and I'm signing off early. I'm DONE.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I'm back. Ta-da! 

I had tech problems that kept me away since I last posted. But now I have internet again.

I missed you guys and I hope y'all are doing well.

Edited by Temperance
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, that was fast. Ref. what we were discussing about Jerry Falwell. He has taken a leave of absence. (Subsequent to his bizarre posing with woman with his pants undone,  showing underwear and holding a dark beverage, that he claimed was ink colored water.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/07/liberty-university-jerry-falwell-jr-taking-leave-of-absence/3323429001/

Interesting that the article doesn't indicate whether he will continue to collect his salary while on leave.  I suspect he will continue to collect the million bucks a year he is reported to be making.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, that was fast. Ref. what we were discussing about Jerry Falwell. He has taken a leave of absence. (Subsequent to his bizarre posing with woman with his pants undone,  showing underwear and holding a dark beverage, that he claimed was ink colored water.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/07/liberty-university-jerry-falwell-jr-taking-leave-of-absence/3323429001/

YES! I was coming here to post that. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Interesting that the article doesn't indicate whether he will continue to collect his salary while on leave.  I suspect he will continue to collect the million bucks a year he is reported to be making.

Yeah....I will guess that he’s in need of professional care. It may be a difficult come back. Idk. I hope someone is watching him about now. 

• Like 4

It sounds like the board pushed him out, so maybe no salary for him? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah....I will guess that he’s in need of professional care. It may be a difficult come back. Idk. I hope someone is watching him about now. 

Maybe he could put in some time at Josh's Jesus jail.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 8

3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It may be a difficult come back.

He’ll cry. He’ll claim he has thrown himself on God’s mercy begging Him for forgiveness for letting Sa’n (TM JillR) build a fortress in his heart...and then Jesus sent him a DM saying all is forgiven. Then it will be magically erased from the annals of time. Back to business as usual.

Asshole. 

• Like 13
  • Laugh 4

5 minutes ago, Zella said:

It sounds like the board pushed him out, so maybe no salary for him? 

We can only hope. 

• Like 6

Who is Fuhrer at Liberty now with his departure?

• Laugh 4

11 minutes ago, Zella said:

Who is Fuhrer at Liberty now with his departure?

I didn't see anyone appointed in the myriad articles I read.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I didn't see anyone appointed in the myriad articles I read.

I'm envisioning a strident and not very Christ-like power struggle! 🤣

• Like 6
  • Laugh 4

I’ve been doing some reading on Falwell’s history.  This type of thing isn’t brand new, from what I’m reading.  Even the stuff on Wikipedia is pretty shocking.  It seems he’s been kept on a long leash. I’ve struggled to find anything positive about him.....still, his appearance, voice and explanation are troubling. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm not really a musical fan, so despite being a history buff and a music fan, I never could get into Hamilton. I like Sweeney Todd and Fiddler on the Roof, and that's about it. I just don't cope well psychologically with people breaking into song. LOL

I love musicals, but not history so much. 😂

• Like 4

Sadly, Sally Samsung bit the dust too early, so we missed out on the ice ball feature.  We do have cubed and crushed, which is my jam.  As for the knock feature, the best use we've found is knowing what canned beverages are available.  Mr. Six drinks Bubly & A-Ha sparkling water, and they fit perfectly in the door on the top shelf.  It's an unneeded feature, but a good conversation starter.  Not that we're conversing with anyone at the moment, or pre Covid for that matter, but you get the picture.

Along with being a professional engineer, Mr. Six is also a certified plumbing designer.  He was supposed to attend a trade-show convention in September, and since it was scheduled for New Orleans, I was going to go with him.  It was officially canceled this week.  The MD State Fair was also canceled this week.  At this rate, we are planning on Thanksgiving just being the two of us, which is going to feel very weird.  I'm glad I got back into my adult coloring books again.  I took an 18-month break, but I found the joy in it once more.  It's been keeping me busy, and gives me a bit of a distraction from all the pain.  I'm pretty sure I can find numerous 100-year-old people that are in better health than I am right now.  40 is just awesome 🥴.

• Like 12
  • Sad 3

51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been doing some reading on Falwell’s history.  This type of thing isn’t brand new, from what I’m reading.  Even the stuff on Wikipedia is pretty shocking.  It seems he’s been kept on a long leash. I’ve struggled to find anything positive about him.....still, his appearance, voice and explanation are troubling. 

You are a much nicer person than I am, I hope he goes down in flames. He would have brought down fire and brimstone if it had been someone else in this situation instead of himself. 

Edited by emma675
  • Like 21

5 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

LOL, we’ve never seen Hamilton and have no desire to!  I’m happy for others who enjoy it though!  

• Like 10

Politico has a pretty good article from last year on what a raging asshole Falwell Jr. is and how even people at Liberty hated him. Something tells me there may have been quite the line of people just waiting for him to do something so awful they could take him out. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 1

2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

You are a much nicer person than I am, I hope he goes down in flames. He would have brought down fire and brimstone if this had been someone else in this situation instead of himself. 

The Trailer Park Boys cosplay doesn't even work. The boys don't run around with their pants undone. Although Falwell seems to think he was Julian with a drink in hand. Yes, I love TPB. 😁

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

And this Jerry Jr calls his boat a yacht. I know a few yacht owners and everyone of them call it a boat.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

3 hours ago, Zella said:

It's so interesting how some people just love musicals while others find that random breaking into song somehow weirds them out. I keep trying to understand the latter, and I guess I kind of see it when I see how antsy Mr Jyn gets, even though he is a big fan of music in general. I just love them, though...

One of these days we will have to try watching Les Miz. I've always wanted to see it, and my daughter actually got me the DVD for Christmas years and years ago (before we moved here, I think), but I never wanted to watch it by myself, and no one else wanted to watch it with me, so it's somewhere, still not broken into. However, Mr Jyn has recently discovered that he really likes some of the songs after going down rabbit holes on YouTube/Whatever Country's got talent, so he sort of wants to see them in context. I know I'll probably cry through half of it, though, so he'll probably get peeved with me, or at least roll his eyes a lot...

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It's so interesting how some people just love musicals while others find that random breaking into song somehow weirds them out. I keep trying to understand the latter, and I guess I kind of see it when I see how antsy Mr Jyn gets, even though he is a big fan of music in general. I just love them, though...

One of these days we will have to try watching Les Miz. I've always wanted to see it, and my daughter actually got me the DVD for Christmas years and years ago (before we moved here, I think), but I never wanted to watch it by myself, and no one else wanted to watch it with me, so it's somewhere, still not broken into. However, Mr Jyn has recently discovered that he really likes some of the songs after going down rabbit holes on YouTube/Whatever Country's got talent, so he sort of wants to see them in context. I know I'll probably cry through half of it, though, so he'll probably get peeved with me, or at least roll his eyes a lot...

I can't even explain why logically it bothers me. I like theater of the absurd and plays and opera, and I often like musical songs on their own. So, I have no idea why I have such a suspension of disbelief when a character in a musical is suddenly like, "I've got all the feels and I'm going to share them with you in song and dance!"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

4 hours ago, Zella said:

I saw Hamilton in Chicago with my daughter as a birthday gift for her a few years back. musicals are not my thing but I loved it.

Had the grand kids here recently for the first time this year due to covid and they are all about Disney Descendants, silly stories where they stop to break into song and dance. they love it so I watched. God I hated every minute of that crap. not sure if that counts as musicals or just bad Disney movies....

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

17 minutes ago, Zella said:

I can't even explain why logically it bothers me. I like theater of the absurd and plays and opera, and I often like musical songs on their own. So, I have no idea why I have such a suspension of disbelief when a character in a musical is suddenly like, "I've got all the feels and I'm going to share them with you in song and dance!"

Have to say that I just adore the way you explained this, even though it still doesn't make sense (well, evidently it can't nor does it need to!). Plus, how could I even think of arguing with a fellow Opera fan?

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Laugh 3

30 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Have to say that I just adore the way you explained this, even though it still doesn't make sense (well, evidently it can't nor does it need to!). Plus, how could I even think of arguing with a fellow Opera fan?

Haha yes I can't even pretend it makes sense!

What are some of your favorite operas?

Eureka Springs has an excellent summer opera program every year that brings in young up and coming singers from all over the country. (Cancelled this year of course). I've been three times, and they're always so good! And last year they gave out free ice cream too! 😁

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My love of musicals began and ended with Jersey Boys. I could see that every day and not get tired of it! Then someone told me Wicked was far better. I went to see it and was majorly underwhelmed. Give me Jersey Boys any day of the week!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

@Zella how did you feel about Glee the tv show?

I've never seen an episode. 

• Like 1

I LOVE musicals.  Both Broadway and movie.  As a musician,  I had the pleasure to play in pit orchestras from high school through touring professional productions.  Pretty much paid the rent during my early teaching years.

The last new production I attended, with my sister and several nephews in our efforts to make them well rounded, was Wicked.  Wonderful book.  Horrific music. I could hum along without ever hearing the featured songs because the music was so predictable.

AND .... I am done with synthesizers over real instruments.  Just a jumble of loud, repetitive, tinny sounding cacophony.

Classic musicals were a combo of book,  music and dance.  And many classic musicals often dealt with difficult matter ... Show Boat and Carousel are very difficult.  There are so many more I could go on forever.  But these musicals are filled with memorable SONGS!   So, until a musical piece from Hamilton becomes a classic hit,  I will stick to Gore Vidal's book,  Burr.

• Like 3

If you can, please a prayer for my brother tonight. He was in a car accident. Waiting on details. He was airlifted to hospital, so I think it’s serious. I’ll post when I know more. As you can imagine we are very scared and hoping it’s not too bad. 

• Sad 38

12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If you can, please a prayer for my brother tonight. He was in a car accident. Waiting on details. He was airlifted to hospital, so I think it’s serious. I’ll post when I know more. As you can imagine we are very scared and hoping it’s not too bad. 

Praying SunnyBeBe.

• Like 5

A happening Friday night during COVID-19 is driving to Fresh Farms to purchase a watermelon (and one for my Mom) and fresh cilantro, understanding why contraception fails because so many people have their masks UNDER their noses and breaking down my Mom’s watermelon and taking the rind to the alley so she has chilled pieces for breakfast tomorrow. 

Im now watching The Best Man because I’m in a romcom mood. 

14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes of course. I know you’re worried. Keep us updated if you want to. 

• Like 9

I am very much used to having a minority opinion...  I have sampled each song in the soundtrack of Hamilton and I really don't care for the style of music and for me it just clashes terribly with the historical period. I didn't hear any song that would stay with me which is odd since songs "play" in my head constantly.  I'm not going to try to trash the show because  I know it is much loved by most people.  I am relieved to know that not everyone loves it.

I love musicals.  I think you either accept the conventions of musicals or some dissonance sets in and you can't get past it.  To me, it is like accepting science fiction, fantasy or comic book movies.  Walking down the street and breaking into song and dance is no less realistic than what you see in an Avengers movie.  I just go somewhere in my mind where these things are possible.  It helps when it is done well, like the seamless way Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers could slip into song and dance and it helps when there are magnificent songs like those in Carousel, Show Boat, Oklahoma and South Pacific.

@SunnyBeBe I hope you get good news about your brother.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 11

Oh, @SunnyBeBe, your brother and your family are in my thoughts and prayers! Hope everything's okay. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Praying for your brother, @SunnyBeBe

• Like 5

SUNNYBEBE: Praying for yr brother, & I hope you hear good news about him soon! (hug)

• Like 5

@SunnyBeBe, praying for your brother. I can only imagine what you are going through. Please let us know when you find out about his condition.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Trailer Park Boys cosplay doesn't even work. The boys don't run around with their pants undone. Although Falwell seems to think he was Julian with a drink in hand. Yes, I love TPB. 😁

I've never heard of the Trailer Park Boys. Who are they?

59 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm praying for you. I hope your brother is okay. 

• Like 3

Aethera

The Politics Policy is not new, and still applies in the time of Covid-19. Discussion of politicians, political bodies and parties, etc is off-limits here. https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94644-politics-primetimer-updated-070319/?tab=comments#comment-5402321