Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Honeycocoa

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

7 hours ago, Nysha said:

A popular orthodontist and his receptionist tested positive for Covid last Friday. The office was closed, but his patients weren't told until Tuesday. My boss went to the school board meeting Thursday and said he talked to 4 parents whose kids went to the orthodontist. They're livid that they weren't told right away so they could have their children quarantine earlier. The meeting was all about how safe they were being for in-person schooling, although parents have the option for online instead. There were 25 teachers there wearing red shirts as a protest to the schools opening for in-person classes. 

I've been to my primary care physician and the optometrist in the past 2 weeks and all the safety protocols were followed to the letter. Then I take my friend to the orthopedic clinic to remove her cast and there are no mask requirements, no social distancing in the waiting room, and only about half the medical staff were wearing masks. In the waiting room I counted 4 people wearing masks out of 37 (not counting me and my friend). All four were elderly.   This fall is not going to be fun.

Yikes. Did you and your friend stay in the waiting room? I'd follow the advice @Absolom gave another poster, turn the office into the Board of Health.

I don't know about you all, but many of my FB friends have been posting vacation pictures. Most are vacationing in their own areas including FL, TX and all of New England. The thing is, I know what they do for a living. The ones that scare me the most are the medical professionals because they often work with a vulnerable population and it makes me not trust anyone or any place I go. 

Please continue to stay safe out there!

• Like 3
  • Sad 11

13 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Yeah, we hired a company to clean out Dad's home, sort, sell, and dispose of items, and ready it for sale. Money very very very well spent. Dad had been telling us for years that he wasn't going to deal with any of the crap and it was our problem. Jerk. My sainted husband spent days sorting papers in the office (we're talking cancelled checks from the 80s level of chaos) and determining what had to be shredded, what kept (he had physical stock certificates!), and what just trashed/recycled. Dad's delusions had led him to do things like hide items (he stashed cash in his car to keep it safe from his hallucinations). It was quite a job and we would still be neck deep in it if we hadn't hired help.

(I swear, you'll see the connection of this comment in a minute.) We came home from a trip a few years back to find that someone had anonymously sent my husband a cement-looking garden gnome statue. Huh, that's odd, we thought, but we put him outside our front door and named him Chomsky. He stood sentinel there for several years and then this year over the holidays he just went missing. Maybe he moved on to his next mysteriously chosen home?

Yes, as @crazycatlady58 said, please do tell her we miss her.

You are so right.  It took me weeks to sort through various things in my cousin's house when she became ill.  It was unreal how much it took to sort, organize, clean and trash items.  It was physically and mentally exhausting.  I have packed myself for years, but, if I had to do it again, I'd hire professionals for sure.  Both to pack and clean.  

So, I got up earlier this morning to grocery shop for my parents before the store got crowded.  My mom's favorite store doesn't have instacart or curbside:(     I normally limit myself to 10 minutes in any store.  So far, that has worked.  Today, her list was too long and even though the store was pretty empty,  it took me much longer.   So, I got everything on her list except for one item that they didn't have.  When I returned and started to bring in the groceries, I said, I'd have to pick it up later, they were out this morning, she said okay, but, seemed annoyed with me.  Then, my dad wanted the receipt and I said it was in one of the bags. (I don't touch receipts. Just tell cashier to put it in a bag.  I saw he did.)  Well, that didn't go over well.  Even though, I told them what the amount was they were very upset about it.  You know what they say?  No good deed goes unpunished.  (I won't mention the two half days of work I missed last week due to my dad's doctor appointments.  lol)  I guess that's how it goes sometimes........Oh, did I mention that I was planning on getting my own groceries too, but, couldn't because with her stuff, there was no room left in the cart. lol  So, I'll get mine later.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Sad 18

9 hours ago, Nysha said:

A popular orthodontist and his receptionist tested positive for Covid last Friday. The office was closed, but his patients weren't told until Tuesday. My boss went to the school board meeting Thursday and said he talked to 4 parents whose kids went to the orthodontist. They're livid that they weren't told right away so they could have their children quarantine earlier. The meeting was all about how safe they were being for in-person schooling, although parents have the option for online instead. There were 25 teachers there wearing red shirts as a protest to the schools opening for in-person classes. 

I've been to my primary care physician and the optometrist in the past 2 weeks and all the safety protocols were followed to the letter. Then I take my friend to the orthopedic clinic to remove her cast and there are no mask requirements, no social distancing in the waiting room, and only about half the medical staff were wearing masks. In the waiting room I counted 4 people wearing masks out of 37 (not counting me and my friend). All four were elderly.   This fall is not going to be fun.

"But kids aren't super spreaders! It's fine!"

Super spreaders =/= not able to catch and spread the disease. 

Again, getting really annoyed at the messaging I'm seeing around COVID. I've ranted too much how we missed the mark on using social distancing versus physical distancing. The whole "kids aren't super spreaders" sound bite is going to bite us in the ass come school time. Kids certainly do catch it, but it is generally mild or no symptoms. They can and do spread it to adults around them. I remember reading that you can tell when the schools shut down in each area by looking at the number of seasonal influenza cases. The number of cases plummeted.

I'm going to sit back and watch. The infectious diseases people I know have nubs for teeth left at this point. Watching other countries experience a resurgence is terrifying. The past few months have felt like years now. It's August and it feels like we can write off the rest of 2020 now. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Again, getting really annoyed at the messaging I'm seeing around COVID. I've ranted too much how we missed the mark on using social distancing versus physical distancing. The whole "kids aren't super spreaders" sound bite is going to bite us in the ass come school time. Kids certainly do catch it, but it is generally mild or no symptoms. They can and do spread it to adults around them. I remember reading that you can tell when the schools shut down in each area by looking at the number of seasonal influenza cases. The number of cases plummeted.

I'm going to sit back and watch. The infectious diseases people I know have nubs for teeth left at this point. Watching other countries experience a resurgence is terrifying. The past few months have felt like years now. It's August and it feels like we can write off the rest of 2020 now. 

260 kids and teens infected with COVID-19 at a Georgia camp. Granted, it was an overnight camp, but still.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 14

8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You are so right.  It took me weeks to sort through various things in my cousin's house when she became ill.  It was unreal how much it took to sort, organize, clean and trash items.  It was physically and mentally exhausting.  I have packed myself for years, but, if I had to do it again, I'd hire professionals for sure.  Both to pack and clean.  

So, I got up earlier this morning to grocery shop for my parents before the store got crowded.  My mom's favorite store doesn't have instacart or curbside:(     I normally limit myself to 10 minutes in any store.  So far, that has worked.  Today, her list was too long and even though the store was pretty empty,  it took me much longer.   So, I got everything on her list except for one item that they didn't have.  When I returned and started to bring in the groceries, I said, I'd have to pick it up later, they were out this morning, she said okay, but, seemed annoyed with me.  Then, my dad wanted the receipt and I said it was in one of the bags. (I don't touch receipts. Just tell cashier to put it in a bag.  I saw he did.)  Well, that didn't go over well.  Even though, I told them what the amount was they were very upset about it.  You know what they say?  No good deed goes unpunished.  (I won't mention the two half days of work I missed last week due to my dad's doctor appointments.  lol)  I guess that's how it goes sometimes........Oh, did I mention that I was planning on getting my own groceries too, but, couldn't because with her stuff, there was no room left in the cart. lol  So, I'll get mine later.  

In my mother's last few years of life, I would go in the grocery store for her. I would bring her the receipt and the change. Then I would watch as she counted out the change( down to the penny) looking back and forth at it and the receipt as if I might have tried to pull a fast one on her and take a few pennies. It was super insulting, Sometimes as people age , they just don't realize how difficult they are being to people who are trying to help them. My father-in-law was the exact opposite.  One of his last comments before he died was that he was sorry he had forgotten to thank the CNA who had helped him with his bath that evening. Then he went to sleep and died peacefully.  He was so much easier to take care of than my mother. Interestingly enough they started under hospice care 6 weeks to the day apart and died 6 weeks to the day apart, each living only 4 days after beginning hospice. And both were initially expected to live much longer. My husband was the trustee for his dad's estate and I am a co-executor for my mom's estate, so it has been a challenge the past year and a half to get houses, belongings, accounts, etc. settled. Both are almost done but there are still a few details.  Word of caution,  do not name co-executors, it makes things difficult when both people HAVE to by law sign every document, check, etc. If you can make it an either/or situation, that is fine. My mother's will had " and" so our county's probate judge was very strict about that. There was only one bank in town (small town) that would open an estate account with co-executors. Sorry, more details than you probably wanted to read! 

• Like 16
  • Useful 2

I agree Liddy about co-executors.  I tell people, but, sometimes, they don't listen.  

I'm sorry about your loss.  I hesitate to say much about my parents with my friends due to the fact that some of them have ill parents with serious issues, like cancer.  They could pass away anytime, so, I don't like to whine, when my parents do annoying things. Right now, they have some issues, but, nothing too serious, that we are aware of.   Still, it can be bothersome.  What I find even worse is that they are both VERY kind, cordial and agreeable with everyone else.  lol  I do all the work and all I get is disagreements and resistance. Other family members do nothing for them, but, they are worshiped.  It's rather common. I read about this happening with seniors a lot on caregiver message boards.  My mom has pretty much always been this way, so, I don't think she will change. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

260 kids and teens infected with COVID-19 at a Georgia camp. Granted, it was an overnight camp, but still.

Sleep away camp is a breeding ground for germs under the best circumstances. I know some young people headed back to the dorms- by golly. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

33 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The new school district my high school freshman will be attending announced their plans/details on Jul 30. There is a choice of in person and virtual. In person students will be spend the first week as virtual and can take virtual if they need to stay home. Virtual students are allowed to join extra and co curriculars. The reason in person students will do virtual is because they need everyone set up if/when they need to close down.

Personally, it's a difficult choice. We are here in a hot spot. We are torn because it's hard moving to a new place, hoping to make friends in theater and choir but knowing that there is a pandemic and it might be better to do it virtually. She struggled learning online. There are plans for Fridays to be small meeting/meeting in person with virtual students who need help, so that's a good thing. I have to make an appointment to finalize the enrollment and registration since we are new to the district and A-girl will join me because she has some questions. 

It's sent her anxiety through the roof. We had a virtual doctors appointment before we left and the doc recommended her seeing a psychiatrist so she could get some relief with medication. It's just...how does one do that in a new state in the middle of a pandemic? Which is what is causing the anxiety to skyrocket as it is? First day of school as a freshman in a new school is so hard anyway and it's the one thing I wish I could fix and help and I just can't.

Sorry, sort of just unloaded there but yeah. Thankfully, that's been the only real difficulty with the move. And we will figure it out eventually.

• Like 4
  • Sad 17

Germany is open for 2 months now. Everything back to normal. Schools start this month. I’m nervous for my relative and her kids. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

The new school district my high school freshman will be attending announced their plans/details on Jul 30. There is a choice of in person and virtual. In person students will be spend the first week as virtual and can take virtual if they need to stay home. Virtual students are allowed to join extra and co curriculars. The reason in person students will do virtual is because they need everyone set up if/when they need to close down.

Personally, it's a difficult choice. We are here in a hot spot. We are torn because it's hard moving to a new place, hoping to make friends in theater and choir but knowing that there is a pandemic and it might be better to do it virtually. She struggled learning online. There are plans for Fridays to be small meeting/meeting in person with virtual students who need help, so that's a good thing. I have to make an appointment to finalize the enrollment and registration since we are new to the district and A-girl will join me because she has some questions. 

It's sent her anxiety through the roof. We had a virtual doctors appointment before we left and the doc recommended her seeing a psychiatrist so she could get some relief with medication. It's just...how does one do that in a new state in the middle of a pandemic? Which is what is causing the anxiety to skyrocket as it is? First day of school as a freshman in a new school is so hard anyway and it's the one thing I wish I could fix and help and I just can't.

Sorry, sort of just unloaded there but yeah. Thankfully, that's been the only real difficulty with the move. And we will figure it out eventually.

My heart breaks for parents, kids and teachers. Being a new student (and new to the area parent) makes it that much harder.

If A-girl's anxiety is debilitating, I would Google child psychiatry in your area. Every state is doing virtual visits and many folks have new or exacerbated anxiety. I would think/hope they'd see her right away.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh I've pointed that out. There have been many outbreaks in day camps and daycares as well. But let's ignore all that.

Gonna be some aged like whole milk people out there soon enough. 

• Sad 7

6 pediatricians from the same clinic sent a letter to the local school board and state school board advocating for opening schools with NO precautions. Their recommendation is based on the "fact" that kids rarely get the virus, rarely spread the virus, it's no worse than the flu, and Europe opened their schools after their lock down so it's safe for us to do the same. Their one concession was if teachers and staff were older or had underlying conditions accommodations should be made IF they felt unsafe, but there was really no reason to feel unsafe since in Idaho no one under 50 has died.

I'm pretty sure this was written in June since all the facts are based on what was happening then. While nobody under 40 has died in Idaho, the new cases include a lot of people under 18 and between 19-35 whereas the last surge it was almost all people over 40 who were infected. Our health department and local media are not reporting the numbers of infected or the businesses that have had to close to the public. I had to go to the state site to learn that my county has been adding 2-5 new positive patients a day for the last 2 weeks. On Thursday that number jumped to 7!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 5

9 minutes ago, Nysha said:

6 pediatricians from the same clinic sent a letter to the local school board and state school board advocating for opening schools with NO precautions. Their recommendation is based on the "fact" that kids rarely get the virus, rarely spread the virus, it's no worse than the flu, and Europe opened their schools after their lock down so it's safe for us to do the same. Their one concession was if teachers and staff were older or had underlying conditions accommodations should be made IF they felt unsafe, but there was really no reason to feel unsafe since in Idaho no one under 50 has died.

I'm pretty sure this was written in June since all the facts are based on what was happening then. While nobody under 40 has died in Idaho, the new cases include a lot of people under 18 and between 19-35 whereas the last surge it was almost all people over 40 who were infected. Our health department and local media are not reporting the numbers of infected or the businesses that have had to close to the public. I had to go to the state site to learn that my county has been adding 2-5 new positive patients a day for the last 2 weeks. On Thursday that number jumped to 7!

I watched an interview, and the anchor asked 4 or 5 MDs if they would send their kids back to school. I think they all said yes, with most adding they wouldn't if in a hot spot. What they didn't ask the MDs was, where do they live, where do their kids go to school and how old are their kids?

Inner cities have more busing, use some public transportation and crowded classrooms. Rural kids spend longer times on buses. Older kids change classrooms and teachers for different subjects. They just isn't a one size fits all.

• Like 7

I hope we can get a vaccine soon. I think I posted earlier about volunteering for a covid trial in N.C.  Well, I decided that I would pursue it after all. The first application seemed to indicate that they wanted frontline workers, people who encountered many each day, which I don’t do. But, I later read that they also really want high risk people, such as diabetics. I’m type I, and I think they want type II, but, I’m going to get officially screened. They should be calling me next week. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope we can get a vaccine soon. I think I posted earlier about volunteering for a covid trial in N.C.  Well, I decided that I would pursue it after all. The first application seemed to indicate that they wanted frontline workers, people who encountered many each day, which I don’t do. But, I later read that they also really want high risk people, such as diabetics. I’m type I, and I think they want type II, but, I’m going to get officially screened. They should be calling me next week. 

I've signed up for two vaccine trials here in Seattle but I haven't heard from either yet. I'm retired, been staying put, and have no health concerns.

• Like 10

Got a sweet little puppy about an hour ago. I'd share a picture but can't figure out how on here. Now to come up with a name.

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, beckie said:

Got a sweet little puppy about an hour ago. I'd share a picture but can't figure out how on here. Now to come up with a name.

Congrats! Is Nurthan as a name an option? I kid I kid.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 11

24 minutes ago, beckie said:

What type puppy is it? Maybe something uplifting as a name would be good: Sunny, Hope, Happy. I can't come up with anything in particular but it just seems like something cheerful and optimistic would be appropriate.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, beckie said:

Congrats!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I know so am I. Its driving me crazy that so many people are acting like we don't know what's going to happen when we do. Schools are going to open and there will be an outbreak. There's been outbreaks at parties, weddings, churches, overnight camps, and MLB. I want so much for them to all change their minds and pick online until things calm down. I don't want my nephew to go to school, I don't want my sister-in-law or cousin and their kids to go school, I don't want any kids, teachers or school staff to go. So many of them are going to get sick and some are going to die. We know this. But its going to happen anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, Liddy52 said:

What type puppy is it? Maybe something uplifting as a name would be good: Sunny, Hope, Happy. I can't come up with anything in particular but it just seems like something cheerful and optimistic would be appropriate.

She's a chihuahua.

• Like 9

Something that covid has taken from me are my concerts! This is HUGE to me.  Music feeds my soul. It’s hard to explain.  With my crew (friends who are like family that share my passion.) we thrive on the music, the sharing, the camaraderie,  etc.  If you want a super experience check out 25th Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame performances on Amazon prime.  OMG!!! I can’t describe how good it is. Takes you to another time and place! I don’t think you have to like rock n roll. Lol It includes, Crosby, Stills, Nash, James Taylor, Bruce, Stones, Sting, U 2, Stevie, Smokey, Raitt, Fergie, Simon, Garfunkel, Sam Moore of Soul Man!!!    I’m watching now......awesome!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, beckie said:

She's a chihuahua.

A friend of mine recently got a chihuahua puppy that she named Lola May because she said it just fit her personality.  I know you will find the perfect name for your new puppy! Enjoy! 

• Like 6

When my mom and I cleaned out my grandma’s apartment (after she died), we found something that gave us a much needed chuckle.

Hidden under some things in a drawer was a plain white envelope marked “robbery money”.  In the envelope was about $50.  A few months prior, grandma had been the victim of a push in robbery.  The criminals tied her to a chair in the living room and set fire underneath it. She had no money in the house except a few dollars.  I guess she wanted to be ready in case it happened again.  Mom and I used the money to eat out that night.  

The criminals were actually caught, as they had been victimizing elderly ladies in the area, and grandma went down to the police precinct to help identify them.  She told my mom she was so excited to ride in the back of the police car..

• Like 3
  • Surprise 23

8 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

"But kids aren't super spreaders! It's fine

This is, of course, untrue.  While kids are more likely to be asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms, a paper was recently published that demonstrated that children under the age of 5 who had COVID had every bit as much virus in their nasal passages as older kids and adults with COVID.  If they have virus in their noses, there is no reason to think they aren't just as contagious.  Because schools and daycares closed down relatively early on, we just hadn't seen outbreaks amongst young kids spreading.  We also know that some kids do get seriously ill with COVID and there have been deaths, even of infants.

If you remember, back in early times, there was the idea that somehow teens and young adults didn't get COVID or at least were asymptomatic and unlikely to spread it.  Then we had spring break and COVID parties and we know that that was completely wrong.  

• Like 12
  • Useful 5
  • Sad 3

42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Something that covid has taken from me are my concerts! This is HUGE to me.  Music feeds my soul. It’s hard to explain.  With my crew (friends who are like family that share my passion.) we thrive on the music, the sharing, the camaraderie,  etc.  If you want a super experience check out 25th Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame performances on Amazon prime.  OMG!!! I can’t describe how good it is. Takes you to another time and place! I don’t think you have to like rock n roll. Lol It includes, Crosby, Stills, Nash, James Taylor, Bruce, Stones, Sting, U 2, Stevie, Smokey, Raitt, Fergie, Simon, Garfunkel, Sam Moore of Soul Man!!!    I’m watching now......awesome!

Me too!  So many musical events of all kinds in the summer.  The Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world, plays in a lovely outdoor venue.  I try to get down there at least once each year and spend an evening under the stars listening to beautiful music.  

I also love me some rock and roll and was excited that Bruce was supposed to tour this summer-except not.  The Stones were also supposed to be here.  These guys aren't young and spry anymore and who knows how much longer they'll be touring and now we've lost a year,

If you haven't been to the Rock Hall itself, it is well worth the trip.  The exhibits are really innovative and there is a real mission to explain how rock and rock came to be and introduce young fans to some of the early influences.  Besides, they've got stuff like Jim Morrison's cub scout uniform!  John Lennon's report cards!  Little Richard's suits!

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Me too!  So many musical events of all kinds in the summer.  The Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world, plays in a lovely outdoor venue.  I try to get down there at least once each year and spend an evening under the stars listening to beautiful music.  

I also love me some rock and roll and was excited that Bruce was supposed to tour this summer-except not.  The Stones were also supposed to be here.  These guys aren't young and spry anymore and who knows how much longer they'll be touring and now we've lost a year,

If you haven't been to the Rock Hall itself, it is well worth the trip.  The exhibits are really innovative and there is a real mission to explain how rock and rock came to be and introduce young fans to some of the early influences.  Besides, they've got stuff like Jim Morrison's cub scout uniform!  John Lennon's report cards!  Little Richard's suits!

That sounds like something I would Love love.  Adding to the top of my to do list. 

• Like 3

So, typical day...Having Mom over for the weekend as usual...no problem other than her always managing to notice whatever has not been accomplished since the last time she was here. But that's par for the course, and I know that my actual sense of ambition goes out of the window as soon as the real summer temps arrive, so I deserve it.

Daughter, son-in-law and Grand-Jynlet also over for a couple of days (also as usual these days). I do like to have them over, though. 

Mr. Jyn found a recipe for an Indian-spice inspired vegetarian shepherd's pie for me to make for my daughter , which took me waaaay longer than it should have (I don't cook nearly as well from recipes as I do when I just make things up on instinct). Then made dinner for everyone else. All came out very tasty. After dinner, Mr Jyn and I, plus son-in-law went out to sit on the Adirondack chairs in the backyard with another glass of wine to relax. My daughter was putting Grand-Jynlet down for the night.

Anyway, somehow we got to talking about how difficult this year has been to get anything in the vegetable garden to grow, etc...It's really been a horrible season, and I'll admit that while early mornings would probably be the best time to do work, I don't do mornings, and especially since Mr Jyn doesn't go out anything like early himself; he actually gets the most work done in the godawful part of midday that's not fit for man or beast. So, anyway, it was really pleasant sitting there after dinner, and conversation went to both my son-in-law and I agreeing that  this was the nicest time of the day to do some work, and we sort of got up to start pulling at a few weeds, and so did Mr Jyn, as he was certainly not going to sit there if we were working - quite understandable. However, after 10 or 15 minutes, I decided that the couple of glasses of wine I'd had were making me feel a bit woozy, and I didn't necessarily feel like devoting the evening to yard work given the fact that we had a houseful of company. but Mr Jyn kept doggedly at the part of the flowerbed he had tackled. so I didn't feel right giving up since I was the one who had brought up the idea of weeding to begin with. So I kept on. At which point Mr Jyn decided that I was being a "ridiculous bitch" about the whole thing. This is just the sort of thing I seem to have to deal with way too often these days, and part of me just figures that the only way not to end up feeling really put upon is to basically agree that he is right, and I have to find a way to be more reasonable (and to do my fair share of yard work. which he is probably more than justified in feeling that I don't quite get to, but I do babysit my granddaughter, do most of the cleaning, and all the cooking, to be fair - plus which he doesn't hate hot weather the way I do).  So. Yeah. I'm frustrated. I feel as though I'm horribly negligent on the one hand, but also feel as though I don't really deserve some of what he accuses me of on the other.

Sorry to bring this up here....I'm just having a really depressing evening...

• Sad 25

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is me. In January I already had five showed scheduled for the year. I’ve missed all five and it would have been easily double that by now. The most important one is rescheduled to September 2021 and I’m so worried my roommate might not make it that long. It keeps me up at night. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

6 hours ago, beckie said:

She's a chihuahua.

I have two chihuahuas on my Webkinz account (I like to play games!). Their names are Ana Sangria and Paco Bel.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

@Jynnan tonnix if you're doing most of the cleaning, all of the cooking, and babysitting your granddaughter you are NOT being lazy and unproductive. Please don't listen to Mr. Jyn, this year has been a soul sucking year. Give yourself grace and realize that you may not be emotionally and mentally capable of keeping up with the garden or any other projects you may have accomplished if the world hadn't gone nuts. 

• Like 21

On 7/1/2020 at 12:22 PM, Zella said:

When my library was open, most people who came in weren't wearing the masks properly. Like, how hard is it to cover your fucking mouth and nose? Not hard!

Ahhhh!!!  I came to read and get caught up and planned not to speak until I read through July.  But I have to comment right here because it’s harder to wear a damn mask than you might think.  Apparently I have 2 issues.  1) I have a small adult size head.  Not small enough for a child, but small enough that a mask meant to cover my nose and mouth is usually up to my lower eyelids and hanging under my chin.  I can see.  You’d think I’d fix that.  Sigh.  I have.  I fixed 5 because I already could never find anything and I’m making easier to lose a mask but run across another....

2) the fit.  The fit gives me FITS.  Obviously God thought it would be funny to put my ears just a smidge lower than the ears on regular people.  (Mrs Potato Head, right here).  A regular mask that 99.9% of any human anywhere actually works best for me upside down.  Which is NO PROBLEM because I have enough mask to still go from under my chin to under my glasses even upside down.  

thanks for reading my rant!!!  Now do you remember why you were relieved when I slithered away??

• Like 4
  • Laugh 11

7 hours ago, marypat57 said:

When my mom and I cleaned out my grandma’s apartment (after she died), we found something that gave us a much needed chuckle.

Hidden under some things in a drawer was a plain white envelope marked “robbery money”.  In the envelope was about $50.  A few months prior, grandma had been the victim of a push in robbery.  The criminals tied her to a chair in the living room and set fire underneath it. She had no money in the house except a few dollars.  I guess she wanted to be ready in case it happened again.  Mom and I used the money to eat out that night.  

The criminals were actually caught, as they had been victimizing elderly ladies in the area, and grandma went down to the police precinct to help identify them.  She told my mom she was so excited to ride in the back of the police car..

What a great story!!!  I love your grandma!!  Think about it:  she was embarrassed to not have money when the robbers demanded it and so had an envelope ready and waiting.  The robbers got the same raise and the grass boy!!!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Ahhhh!!!  I came to read and get caught up and planned not to speak until I read through July.  But I have to comment right here because it’s harder to wear a damn mask than you might think.  Apparently I have 2 issues.  1) I have a small adult size head.  Not small enough for a child, but small enough that a mask meant to cover my nose and mouth is usually up to my lower eyelids and hanging under my chin.  I can see.  You’d think I’d fix that.  Sigh.  I have.  I fixed 5 because I already could never find anything and I’m making easier to lose a mask but run across another....

2) the fit.  The fit gives me FITS.  Obviously God thought it would be funny to put my ears just a smidge lower than the ears on regular people.  (Mrs Potato Head, right here).  A regular mask that 99.9% of any human anywhere actually works best for me upside down.  Which is NO PROBLEM because I have enough mask to still go from under my chin to under my glasses even upside down.  

thanks for reading my rant!!!  Now do you remember why you were relieved when I slithered away??

Nice to see you!!!! So happy to see you back. How are you??? Hiiii waves happily.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Nice to see you!!!! So happy to see you back. How are you??? Hiiii waves happily.

Hey you!  How’s life?  Did you stay inside for 3 whole months while the Covapocalypse happened all around???

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Hey you!  How’s life?  Did you stay inside for 3 whole months while the Covapocalypse happened all around???

No haha. I go outside for walks. No where to go everything is closed! 

• Like 2

I admit to being a bad person when it comes to mask wearing.  I have tried several masks and I just can't breath properly or keep the bridge of my nose covered properly so that my glasses don't get fogged up.  I went grocery shopping yesterday and had to wander the aisles with no glasses even though I'm legally blind.  I ended up describing the stuff I wanted to my husband (who cannot shop to save his life) and hope for the best.  As soon as I can hit the parking lot and in my car that mask is ripped off and I am gasping for a full breath.  I have straight up bailed at the checkout line because I can't stand it one more second and booked it to a isolated outdoor spot to take the damn thing off and take a few breaths.  I have even pulled the damn thing away from my face slightly to pull in air on occasion.  Like, I understand that these are bad behaviors with the mask situation, but I have no idea how to get around it without having a panic attack or passing out.  It's freaking embarrassing. 

And those little wires in the mask do not really help, because when I get them settled properly they block my lower visual range and make me move my glasses to the end of my nose, which makes it much harder to see.  

And whining about masks is totally ridiculous under the circumstances, but Lord forgive me, I am fit to cry about the whole mess.  Like, are there masks that aren't so confining that are still protective?  Will this annoy me less when it's not freaking 90 degrees in INDIANA for goodness sake!!? (I for real moved away from Florida so that I would not have to deal with this heat BS and we don't even have AC up here in midwest yankee hell).   Grumble, grumble, premature old lady bitching.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

@Jynnan tonnix, I was sad to read about what should have been such a pleasant evening.  From what you've said in the past, Mr. Jyn has an iron core of integrity, but, if you'll forgive me, it also sounds as though he has an iron core generally.  I know from experience how hard that can be to live with.  I hope that he becomes better able to see you and all that you are despite the vision-distorting calamity in which we are all engulfed.  I hope, as well, that your daughter is feeling less anxious and isolated these days.  

Here in Spain, case numbers are climbing again, although they are nothing like what I read about in the U.S.  Still, of everyone alive in my region of Spain at the beginning of March, one out of every 595 of us has died of Covid-19.  Our regional government has asked us all to stay home as much as possible, so that's what Best Beloved and I are doing, and every day we try to remind ourselves of how thankful we are that we and those we love are alive and well. 

• Like 13

@Jynnan tonnix, you have family over! I hope you can take joy in that and let the other stuff go. Letting those thoughts rent space in our heads keeps us from enjoying the good things! Ask me how I know. I've lived in my head for much of my life!

• Like 6

I don't know @Jynnan tonnix, you seem like a prize to me. Mr Tonnix (& your mom) may have a running script in his head about how things are supposed to be, but that doesn't mean his script is correct. If he isn't liking the weeds, then he certainly can (& did) pull them. And you can sit and drink your wine and maybe work on not feeling guilty over it.

Most folks think marriages are supposed to be 50/50. They never are. They fluctuate all the time. The only time you need to really be concerned is if the marriage is consistently, say 70/30, and the same partner is always contributing the 70% (and there's no real reason why). The stories you share never seem like that to me.

Life in general, and now with the pandemic, shift our needs and abilities all the time and like @Nysha said, we need to be as gracious to ourselves as we are to others.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Glad you are back.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

So, typical day...Having Mom over for the weekend as usual...no problem other than her always managing to notice whatever has not been accomplished since the last time she was here. But that's par for the course, and I know that my actual sense of ambition goes out of the window as soon as the real summer temps arrive, so I deserve it.

Daughter, son-in-law and Grand-Jynlet also over for a couple of days (also as usual these days). I do like to have them over, though. 

Mr. Jyn found a recipe for an Indian-spice inspired vegetarian shepherd's pie for me to make for my daughter , which took me waaaay longer than it should have (I don't cook nearly as well from recipes as I do when I just make things up on instinct). Then made dinner for everyone else. All came out very tasty. After dinner, Mr Jyn and I, plus son-in-law went out to sit on the Adirondack chairs in the backyard with another glass of wine to relax. My daughter was putting Grand-Jynlet down for the night.

Anyway, somehow we got to talking about how difficult this year has been to get anything in the vegetable garden to grow, etc...It's really been a horrible season, and I'll admit that while early mornings would probably be the best time to do work, I don't do mornings, and especially since Mr Jyn doesn't go out anything like early himself; he actually gets the most work done in the godawful part of midday that's not fit for man or beast. So, anyway, it was really pleasant sitting there after dinner, and conversation went to both my son-in-law and I agreeing that  this was the nicest time of the day to do some work, and we sort of got up to start pulling at a few weeds, and so did Mr Jyn, as he was certainly not going to sit there if we were working - quite understandable. However, after 10 or 15 minutes, I decided that the couple of glasses of wine I'd had were making me feel a bit woozy, and I didn't necessarily feel like devoting the evening to yard work given the fact that we had a houseful of company. but Mr Jyn kept doggedly at the part of the flowerbed he had tackled. so I didn't feel right giving up since I was the one who had brought up the idea of weeding to begin with. So I kept on. At which point Mr Jyn decided that I was being a "ridiculous bitch" about the whole thing. This is just the sort of thing I seem to have to deal with way too often these days, and part of me just figures that the only way not to end up feeling really put upon is to basically agree that he is right, and I have to find a way to be more reasonable (and to do my fair share of yard work. which he is probably more than justified in feeling that I don't quite get to, but I do babysit my granddaughter, do most of the cleaning, and all the cooking, to be fair - plus which he doesn't hate hot weather the way I do).  So. Yeah. I'm frustrated. I feel as though I'm horribly negligent on the one hand, but also feel as though I don't really deserve some of what he accuses me of on the other.

Sorry to bring this up here....I'm just having a really depressing evening...

You seem like a sweet, kind, considerate woman. But also stay silent/be a pushover. Your family knows you and knows how to push your bottons. I’m sorry you are not treated kindly. 

I am a pushover myself and continue to stew inside and never stand up for myself. 

I hope I didn’t offend you.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Like 11

First I lost my therapist in February. The new one canceled on me twice already. 

Now my psychiatrist is leaving. She found a job close to home. I’m free to go see her at her new office but it’s 2 hour commute each way. Not going to do that. 

I’m so sad and devastated. Life keeps changing and I don’t like it. 

And I have to job hunt. I don’t know if I will find anything else.

Maybe I should start playing the lottery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

First I lost my therapist in February. The new one canceled on me twice already. 

Now my psychiatrist is leaving. She found a job close to home. I’m free to go see her at her new office but it’s 2 hour commute each way. Not going to do that. 

Your psychiatrist isn't offering telepsych?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Well that isn't good.  I agree about the telementalhealth.  It is a real thing.  Ask about it.  How is your painful tooth?  Has your suspected tumor improved?  Sorry to hear about your woes.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Nysha said:

Physicians are also the bane of my existence right now and have been for a few months. The MD behind their name doesn't mean they specialize in infectious diseases folks. The MD behind their name means they were able to do well on the MCAT, get a high GPA in undergrad, and get through medical school. Yes no small feat. However I was a TA for research methods for medical residents at one point. Dear god. Most can't interpret statistics to save their life. A lot of research done by MDs without a master's or PhD tends to be junk because they know fuck all about what they are doing.

And it is seen as presumptuous when I refer to myself by Dr. <last name>. Hrmpf. 

• Like 10

There is no online therapy/psychiatrist visits. I asked. This is a hospital that surprised me that they are not doing online visits. It was closed March-June. In June she told me if I don’t see her in person no more medications. Crazy right? 

I am going to the doctor tomorrow to ask about my maybe tumor. The teeth are on the back burner. 

• Like 3

Aethera

The Politics Policy is not new, and still applies in the time of Covid-19. Discussion of politicians, political bodies and parties, etc is off-limits here. https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94644-politics-primetimer-updated-070319/?tab=comments#comment-5402321