Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Suzn said:

I think you can just tell your daughter that you are not looking for advice.  "Thanks, but your advice just makes me feel bad about myself and is not helpful."  I think there is no reason not to be blunt with those who tell you what to do and how to change.  You can give yourself permission to protect yourself from hurtful things.

I love this advice.  I need to say it to my kids once in awhile.

On a side note, I'm having a problem right now with my dog having fleas (again.)

Not a huge problem considering what's going on in the world right now..but I need to do something about it, because they're biting me now too (and not my husband, ofc.)

I was sharing this with my messenger group that just has my 3 daughters in it (because my sons are not big communicators.)

This was one daughter's "helpful"  reply...

(she has my sense of humor)🙄😂

received_558882144992873.gif

• LOL 11
7 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

The book .... Will I Ever Be Good Enough?  Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers written by Karyl McBride continues to be life altering.  Not an I hate my mother book,  but a therapist helping explain why we react the way we do in all aspects of our personal and professional lives because of what happened growing up female in a dysfunctional family.   Brilliant book.

Thank you, @fonfereksglen. For anyone else interested in the book, if you have Amazon Kindle Unlimited, this book is available on loan for free. 

7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m totally freaked out. Someone started face timing me , knew my name! Claimed we played video games last night. I blocked them. Who knows who that was?!

@galaxychaser, that would freak me out! Blocking them was a good idea.

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

On a side note, I'm having a problem right now with my dog having fleas (again.)

@ChiCricket, I got diatomaceous earth at Amazon combat fleas on my cats.  It kills insects by drying out their guts and it's good for internal parasites, also. 

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-diatomaceous-earth/

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

@ChiCricket, maybe call your vet and see what they recommend for fleas in your area? 
When we lived in Maine we used Frontline Plus for years. Worked great and we had a lot of pets...five dogs and six cats at one point.

So time moves on and so did we...to the Pacific Northwest. As it turns out, fleas here sneer and giggle at Frontline...it did nothing. I just couldn’t understand why everyone was chewing themselves raw and I saw nothing on them even with a flea comb. Fleas here are badass and have superpowers.

The dogs are now on Simparica which seems to work...at least so far.😱

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I use Nexgard monthly flea and tick pills for my Chihuahua, and they seem to work out well. (Other than him playing mind games with me on whether or not he wants to take them. 🙄) I used to use Frontline, and it worked well enough, but I prefer pills over a solution to put on his back. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

diatomaceous earth is great,I bought it a feed shop, it’s often used on chickens. Way cheaper than buying it at the pet supply shops 

Edited by Totally
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I love this advice.  I need to say it to my kids once in awhile.

Not a huge problem considering what's going on in the world right now..but I need to do something about it, because they're biting me now too (and not my husband, ofc.)

I was sharing this with my messenger group that just has my 3 daughters in it (because my sons are not big communicators.)

This was one daughter's "helpful"  reply...

(she has my sense of humor)🙄😂

If you have carpet, fleas will lay their eggs there and keep propagating.  When you treat the dogs, you need to treat the carpets.  A simple, non-toxic way to handle this is to sprinkle table salt over all the carpets before bed.  Just a sprinkle, you don't need piles of salt.  Then, in the morning, vacuum all the carpets to pick it all up.  The salt causes the eggs to burst and then you just sweep them away.

Got this tip from a patient who was a vet years ago.  Worked for me.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7

I'm having relative mask issues! My husband's sister invited us to visit and then un-invited us when I said we should stay masked, even outdoors. She is a non-stop talker and a loud talker (I didn't mention that!) so I thought masks would be in our best interests. Extended chats increase the viral load, if there is one. They don't like wearing them. That's fine. I was okay with being uninvited. Then my brother's wife posted a pic on FB of them visiting my elderly Mom on her porch. No way are they 6 feet apart. They should be masked! Once again, I didn't argue or fuss (or like or comment on the pic), but I'm kind of seething inside. The pandemic is not over! In fact, we're probably due for an upsurge in the next few days. I guess what bothers me is that my husband and I are perceived as being overly cautious. I can shrug that off,  but I also feel that my brother doing that (he is still working and around people) means it will be longer before I can see Mom in person. I planned to wait until 2 weeks after her last home health visit from the PT/OT people anyway. This is so hard! 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I'm having relative mask issues! My husband's sister invited us to visit and then un-invited us when I said we should stay masked, even outdoors. She is a non-stop talker and a loud talker (I didn't mention that!) so I thought masks would be in our best interests. Extended chats increase the viral load, if there is one. They don't like wearing them. That's fine. I was okay with being uninvited. Then my brother's wife posted a pic on FB of them visiting my elderly Mom on her porch. No way are they 6 feet apart. They should be masked! Once again, I didn't argue or fuss (or like or comment on the pic), but I'm kind of seething inside. The pandemic is not over! In fact, we're probably due for an upsurge in the next few days. I guess what bothers me is that my husband and I are perceived as being overly cautious. I can shrug that off,  but I also feel that my brother doing that (he is still working and around people) means it will be longer before I can see Mom in person. I planned to wait until 2 weeks after her last home health visit from the PT/OT people anyway. This is so hard! 

It is hard, I've got some of the same problems.  Obviously, I have been going to work all along; but we have taken this thing seriously and have maintained social distance, worn masks and wiped everything down with hospital-strength disinfectant wipes multiple times each day.  I also get my temp taken when I walk in the door.

Meanwhile, I've got a family member who is part of the population who views masks as some sort of political statement and only wears them when forced, like church.  She isn't working, got furloughed, but has a pretty active social life with friends.  One of her friends, a woman in her mid 60's, has some pretty significant health problems.  When I suggested to my sister that, if she was going to see her (they are good about going outdoors, usually sitting outside and listening to music and such); she should definitely wear a mask since L would be high risk should she contract COVID.  She looked at me like I had 3 heads.  Doesn't even want to hear about how wearing a mask is for the protection of OTHERS.  She's otherwise a very kind and caring person, but she's got a huge blind spot.

And, yes, I am a doctor.  And, no, my family doesn't think that makes my opinion any better than theirs.

I personally think that you can go and see your mom and both wear masks.  Take hand sanitizer and use that before and after.  There are manageable risks here.

• Love 17
(edited)

Thank you, doodlebug! I'll have to explain to Mom that we all need to wear masks, but she'll probably go along with it for an in person visit! 

ETA: I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we do feel that your opinion as a doctor is very much valued, doodlebug!

Edited by BetyBee
Give credit where credit is due!
  • Love 17

We had something similar happen in our family regarding masks. A family member held a cookout on Memorial Day. Probably 20-25 attended. I chose not to go because I am very high risk & still don't feel safe being around that many people.  My husband & son attended & wore masks. I was shocked to find out they were the only ones who did.  Even my MIL & my SIL's mother & my husband's aunt chose not to wear one. My son said a lot of the crowd hung outside but the ones who were inside weren't showing any social distancing.  He was shocked too & felt a little squeamy when anyone plopped down right next to him on a sofa including my niece, a nurse.

Like others have said, I don't know what they were thinking especially the more at risk older family members who chose not to wear masks.  

(edited)
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Due to all the protests there will be a huge spike in COVID cases. 1000 people together isn’t sanitary.  

Yes...at least they are outside...and I’ve seen more masks at protests than I see in my local grocery store.

It’s my sad belief that we’re going to have another wave. I see too many people who just want to pretend it never happened.

ETA: Sad example...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/jersey-shore-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 5

Well first I want to thank you all for the thoughtful input you've given me over my whiny-baby post the other day.  I spoke to my doctor for a few minutes on the phone and asked her about changing my meds since I'm doing better with my A1C and exercising (I walk about 2 miles every other day or so, sometimes longer if I'm having a good phone chat with someone).  Anyway, she recommended that I eat my breakfast or lunch before I do my walk, not after, as I had been doing, and then she reminded me that I have very low vitamin D (my blood test said 9, and I think it's supposed to be over 20), which is why she prescribed a superdose pill of Vitamin D, which I've only just started taking.  She said it will take a little while for my D count to go up, so in the meantime, I need to try to get more sun, too, which I hate because I hate the heat and I burn very easily regardless of sunscreen.  She said I should begin to feel better soon, so we're going to leave my meds alone for now.  I'm having more tests in August to check my levels of everything.  I am embarrassed to be so moody and I'm looking forward to being myself again, whoever I may be!

• Love 15

@magpye29, do you have your B12 tested? I’m on metformin and one of the side effects is that it inhibits B12. Mine was so low last summer that I had to go for weekly shots for a month, and then take a daily B12 pill. It made a huge difference in my energy levels and mood. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

can i change the subject again? sorry , its just too big not to share here! so as i have told you before, i do genealogy. my search is to complete a promise made to my mother when she died that i would continue to look for her birth family.  over the almost 21 years its been since then, i have uncovered her birth mothers family and they were warmly receptive. the birth father was another story. the man did not exist!!  one day i got a close match and we communicated. i simply could not place her in my tree. then, randomly, her daughter tested and we matched to of course.  after over two years of digging and searching, i have finally recognized that in fact, this high match is my mothers half sister! therefore her father was my grandfather! i am done. i kept my word to my mother and i learned a new hobby in the meantime. i have met new family that i adore. i doubt this new side will become really involved in my life as the other has, but i am at peace with that. so, how is your monday?

Congratulation on your success!  I've been doing genealogical research for years but dealing mostly with generations long gone.  A friend of mine wanted to find his mother's birth mother and and just a DNA test of his mother's unrolled an entire family.  So exciting!

• Love 10

Oh goodness. So much to absorb after reading y’all’s posts. 
I think we all have family issues. Some greater than others. My Mom used to lie and tell my bro and I different things to pit us against each other. She wanted all the love and attention. Now that she’s been gone over 10 years we have talked, discovered the deceitfulness and now are on better terms than ever. Certain subjects are still off limits, but it’s ok. I’m going to have to read the book that @fonfereksglen suggested. It may help me. 

NC is experiencing today it’s highest new rate of positive Covid tests. I believe it was the rush to the beach without social distancing. People also refuse to wear masks into stores and will bump into you to get what they want. Rude, let alone good distance practice. I’m scared silly to go out unless it’s for medications, the MD or food. As a former RN I use all precautions that I know of. Chewy.com has become my best friend lol. The cats rule this house. I made the mistake of letting Squeaky play cat games (YouTube) on my iPad. We now have little wars over who is going to get to use it. It’s cute though. 

@magpye29 I’m alone and empathize with how you feel. I’m not as active as you, but it’s been hard for me too. It will get better. Vent all you need to. We all get full of mental puke sometimes. 
@galaxychaser Were you on a zoom meeting where someone could have stolen your information? Perhaps a game forum? Hackers are having a field day with all of us entertaining ourselves online these days. That is scary. Glad you blocked right away. Loved the cute car post. 

I feel for everyone graduating this year. You wait all your life for certain rites of passage (being a Sr, prom, graduation, turning 21 and having your first legal drink, weddings and baby showers). This year has blown for them. 

I’m sorry that my memory fails to recall what everyone has said, but I do care and feel for each and every one of you when I read your posts. I’m having trouble with my weight again. I’m depressed and not eating and when I do my body revolts. My good news is that my garden is looking good. Well, it would look better if the deer hadn’t come by and eaten all the blooms 😡 but I haven’t given up. I was told they don’t like lavender so that’s what’s going in when I feel safe to go to a store that sells plants  (They’re really crowded right now). I’m high risk for more than one reason. Last time I saw the PA she told me that if I get it expect to die. I guess I need to sort through all my paperwork and stuff instead of pulling weeds in case. 

Stay safe and be well everyone. 

• Love 13

Magpye29, a Vitamin D level of 9 is ridiculously low! That causes all kinds of weird problems, too. Mine has been in the teens but I finally got it up into the 70s by supplementing every day with 7,000 iu's of D3. I think 30 is the lowest you want to be. I've also had skin cancer so going in the sun without serious sunscreen is not an option for me (plus, I think I read somewhere that you need to expose your torso to get the D from the sun and that's a no go for me, my bare torso hasn't seen direct sunlight in 20 years, I'd burst into flames, lol). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oh goodness. So much to absorb after reading y’all’s posts. 
I think we all have family issues. Some greater than others. My Mom used to lie and tell my bro and I different things to pit us against each other. She wanted all the love and attention. Now that she’s been gone over 10 years we have talked, discovered the deceitfulness and now are on better terms than ever. Certain subjects are still off limits, but it’s ok. I’m going to have to read the book that @fonfereksglen suggested. It may help me. 

NC is experiencing today it’s highest new rate of positive Covid tests. I believe it was the rush to the beach without social distancing. People also refuse to wear masks into stores and will bump into you to get what they want. Rude, let alone good distance practice. I’m scared silly to go out unless it’s for medications, the MD or food. As a former RN I use all precautions that I know of. Chewy.com has become my best friend lol. The cats rule this house. I made the mistake of letting Squeaky play cat games (YouTube) on my iPad. We now have little wars over who is going to get to use it. It’s cute though. 

@magpye29 I’m alone and empathize with how you feel. I’m not as active as you, but it’s been hard for me too. It will get better. Vent all you need to. We all get full of mental puke sometimes. 
@galaxychaser Were you on a zoom meeting where someone could have stolen your information? Perhaps a game forum? Hackers are having a field day with all of us entertaining ourselves online these days. That is scary. Glad you blocked right away. Loved the cute car post. 

I feel for everyone graduating this year. You wait all your life for certain rites of passage (being a Sr, prom, graduation, turning 21 and having your first legal drink, weddings and baby showers). This year has blown for them. 

I’m sorry that my memory fails to recall what everyone has said, but I do care and feel for each and every one of you when I read your posts. I’m having trouble with my weight again. I’m depressed and not eating and when I do my body revolts. My good news is that my garden is looking good. Well, it would look better if the deer hadn’t come by and eaten all the blooms 😡 but I haven’t given up. I was told they don’t like lavender so that’s what’s going in when I feel safe to go to a store that sells plants  (They’re really crowded right now). I’m high risk for more than one reason. Last time I saw the PA she told me that if I get it expect to die. I guess I need to sort through all my paperwork and stuff instead of pulling weeds in case. 

Stay safe and be well everyone. 

Never used zoom. 

• Love 1

Magpye29-I'm glad to read you have some answers.  Many years ago, my doctor did the standard 6 month blood work on me, and my vitD came back at a 4.  I'm not an outdoorsy person, and I will burn instantly because of how fair I am.  He put me on an RX strength vitD for a month or two and rechecked my levels.  Within that short amount of time, it was up to a normal level, though still on the low side.  Ever since then, I take one 5000IU capsule daily with dinner, and my levels are now in the middle to high range of normal.  If I accidently skip more than one day, I feel a huge difference.  I always order it through an online vitamin retailer, which is so much cheaper than Target or Walmart.  Target was selling a one month supply for $15+ last time I checked.  I just did an order last month and got 600 for $18.00.  I hope you begin to feel better soon!

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

RE: wearing masks.  My 93-year-old mother is still locked down in her apartment in Assisted Living.  Of course, she doesn't understand why she can't go outside of her apartment (her dementia is progressing), so she sits by the window and watches cars go by.  I saw her yesterday through the window screen.  I was wearing a mask and stood in the flowerbed.  This is the only way to get to see her.  NO ONE is allowed in the facility.  I talked her through how to turn on the TV, and had her write down the directions on how to change channels, so, hopefully, she will be able to turn it on and get SOME stimulation.  She never was a reader, so that is a no go.  I brought her some cherries, and after I knocked on the front door at the facility, the nurse at the front desk came out and took them from me. Mom kept looking at them and calling them grapes.  Now I am worried that she will think they are grapes and chomp down on a cherry pit and break a tooth.  No news is good news, as they say.  So far, no cases in her facility, but I don't see the rules changing anytime soon.  I don't mind being in quarantine because I can watch TV or read, but she just sits. She looks ok, and she is eating, so I guess that is the best we can hope for.  She didn't do anything before quarantine, so I don't know why I think she needs something to do now.

• Love 8

Very restricted visits are allowed beginning today where my mother is.  There was very little notice as they decided on the policy last Thursday.  One resident is allowed up to two visitors for 45 minutes.  Everyone needs masks and gloves and all visits are outdoors with no contact.  They'll be immediately discontinued if a resident or anyone on staff is diagnosed with COVID.   I had no idea that they were considering visits, so perhaps your mom's place will consider it soon.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Very restricted visits are allowed beginning today where my mother is.  There was very little notice as they decided on the policy last Thursday.  One resident is allowed up to two visitors for 45 minutes.  Everyone needs masks and gloves and all visits are outdoors with no contact.  They'll be immediately discontinued if a resident or anyone on staff is diagnosed with COVID.   I had no idea that they were considering visits, so perhaps your mom's place will consider it soon.  

I asked yesterday when I was there, and was told that there are no plans for opening for visitors.  Another facility in the same town had a worker that brought the virus in, and they have had several deaths.  My mom's facility is keeping a close eye on that situation, and will remain shut to visitors for the foreseeable future.  Mom doesn't seem to know how far apart our visits are, and she forgets right after one of us has been there.  So, I guess that is good.  She is in the best place possible for her.

• Love 11

At my MIL's senior living place they've apparently had trouble with a letter carrier who refuses to have his temperature taken. 

We saw MIL for the first time in 3 months today, taking her to her audiologist. She was a raving bitch the entire time. You'd think she'd be happy to be sprung from her apartment. But nooo.

• Love 5

I just read an article about quarantine fatigue in regard to personal safety. It basically said our brains struggle with seeing danger, when it's invisible, for extended periods of time. Our brains also try to protect us from being in extended periods of heightened alert.

So most folks were better at taking personal precautions for the first couple of months and are less diligent now. And then there are the folks who have really never taken precautions. When you throw in the lack of social distancing during the protests and the economy is reopening, it seems likely covid cases will increase. 

Everyone be careful out there.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

At my MIL's senior living place they've apparently had trouble with a letter carrier who refuses to have his temperature taken. 

We saw MIL for the first time in 3 months today, taking her to her audiologist. She was a raving bitch the entire time. You'd think she'd be happy to be sprung from her apartment. But nooo.

People sometimes just want to be difficult, don't they?  Getting a forehead temp takes less than 30 seconds, it's painless and simple.

Just a reminder; numbers of Corona virus cases are rising in many places not because the virus is spreading, but because we finally have enough tests available.  Our country was woefully slow to get enough testing out there and, for March and April and even into May in some places, there were so many restrictions on testing that virtually no one got the test.  I know a physician who works in a hotspot who got sick and wasn't tested because there just weren't enough tests out there.  She was sick for almost 2 weeks before she got tested and only then because she was still sick and her boss wanted her to come back to work.  She tested positive and that ended the argument.

When you are looking at Covid numbers, a better way to assess is to look at the percentage of people tested who are positive.  In places where testing is adequate, less than 5% of those tested will be positive.  That means they're getting a reasonable look at a broad section of the community because there are enough tests.  We've been testing every woman coming to labor and delivery for about a month and we're getting a less than 2% positive rate for presumably asymptomatic people.  Go back and look at the number of tests your state was doing 2 months ago and compare it to today,  There may be more positive tests, but that's because we're doing many, many more tests.  If your community has a positive test rate of more than 5%, they need to be doing more testing.

So, absolute numbers of positive tests doesn't really tell the tale, what does?  Look at the numbers of people hospitalized and compare that to March or April.  That's a better indicator of how active the virus is in your community.

There is now a bit of controversy about the spread of the virus by asymptomatic carriers.  The WHO says it is very rare while the CDC says it is happening.  What gives?  They're comparing apples and oranges.  The WHO took a look at 'asymptomatic' people who tested positive and discovered that most of them did indeed have symptoms, albeit mild ones.   It's the people with the cough and congestion who think they have a 'little cold' are the ones who are spreading it.

• Useful 17
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I just read an article about quarantine fatigue in regard to personal safety. It basically said our brains struggle with seeing danger, when it's invisible, for extended periods of time. Our brains also try to protect us from being in extended periods of heightened alert.

So most folks were better at taking personal precautions for the first couple of months and are less diligent now. And then there are the folks who have really never taken precautions. When you throw in the lack of social distancing during the protests and the economy is reopening, it seems likely covid cases will increase. 

Everyone be careful out there.

Citizens in other countries are able to follow the rules for much longer periods of time, though.

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

People sometimes just want to be difficult, don't they?  Getting a forehead temp takes less than 30 seconds, it's painless and simple.

Just a reminder; numbers of Corona virus cases are rising in many places not because the virus is spreading, but because we finally have enough tests available.  Our country was woefully slow to get enough testing out there and, for March and April and even into May in some places, there were so many restrictions on testing that virtually no one got the test.  I know a physician who works in a hotspot who got sick and wasn't tested because there just weren't enough tests out there.  She was sick for almost 2 weeks before she got tested and only then because she was still sick and her boss wanted her to come back to work.  She tested positive and that ended the argument.

When you are looking at Covid numbers, a better way to assess is to look at the percentage of people tested who are positive.  In places where testing is adequate, less than 5% of those tested will be positive.  That means they're getting a reasonable look at a broad section of the community because there are enough tests.  We've been testing every woman coming to labor and delivery for about a month and we're getting a less than 2% positive rate for presumably asymptomatic people.  Go back and look at the number of tests your state was doing 2 months ago and compare it to today,  There may be more positive tests, but that's because we're doing many, many more tests.  If your community has a positive test rate of more than 5%, they need to be doing more testing.

So, absolute numbers of positive tests doesn't really tell the tale, what does?  Look at the numbers of people hospitalized and compare that to March or April.  That's a better indicator of how active the virus is in your community.

There is now a bit of controversy about the spread of the virus by asymptomatic carriers.  The WHO says it is very rare while the CDC says it is happening.  What gives?  They're comparing apples and oranges.  The WHO took a look at 'asymptomatic' people who tested positive and discovered that most of them did indeed have symptoms, albeit mild ones.   It's the people with the cough and congestion who think they have a 'little cold' are the ones who are spreading it.

It also becomes confusing for those of us who already suffer from allergy symptoms. Some days I wonder - is it my allergies or am I sick?

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

It also becomes confusing for those of us who already suffer from allergy symptoms. Some days I wonder - is it my allergies or am I sick?

it is confusing for sure - i have breathing issues all year round. but in my area now is cottonwood, dandelion puffs, the oak tree strings etc. always problematic.

I keep going with my same treatment plan, but every day i cough up stuff, sneeze like crazy, I wonder is it something more this time.

I don't think it is, but the wondering does creep in

• Love 8

So far I’m enjoying my vacation very much, my toes look very beautiful and I feel so pretty. I know feet are polarizing for some strange reason but I think I have very attractive feet, getting my first pedicure of the season was wonderful. 

Not sure what I’m going to do today besides pick up my moms package from the post office. 

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Citizens in other countries are able to follow the rules for much longer periods of time, though.

Because my every day life feels like mild Covid19, I have allergies, arthritis and fibromyalgia I take my temp. twice a day. My allergies are bad right now and people sometimes look at me odd but what can you do? I feel when your having an allergic response to something you are sick but you cannot take off from work for that.

• Love 10
(edited)
23 hours ago, zoomama said:

can i change the subject again? sorry , its just too big not to share here! so as i have told you before, i do genealogy. my search is to complete a promise made to my mother when she died that i would continue to look for her birth family.  over the almost 21 years its been since then, i have uncovered her birth mothers family and they were warmly receptive. the birth father was another story. the man did not exist!!  one day i got a close match and we communicated. i simply could not place her in my tree. then, randomly, her daughter tested and we matched to of course.  after over two years of digging and searching, i have finally recognized that in fact, this high match is my mothers half sister! therefore her father was my grandfather! i am done. i kept my word to my mother and i learned a new hobby in the meantime. i have met new family that i adore. i doubt this new side will become really involved in my life as the other has, but i am at peace with that. so, how is your monday?

Congratulations on your discovery! That's incredible. I can only imagine how it feels to make that kind of connection. There used to be a tv show about it. I have a friend who's mother, (was adopted at birth) ended up meeting her full sister on a flight by chance when she was in her 40's.. They just started chatting and through a process of inquiry figured it out, got DNA tests, etc.  They were very close after that.  

Ref. Vitamin D. I would encourage everyone to get their levels checked and discuss with your doctor.  Mine was low around 17, with daily V-D3 got it up to around a 23.  Still, my doctor advised to increase the daily vitamin D-3 and OMG!  My health improved greatly AND all the leg and hip pain I had been having almost daily for over a year went away!  I found a medical article about it. There is no other explanation. I never miss a dose now.

It sounds like a lot of emotional pain going on with so many.....it's a struggle, that's for sure. I talk to the hospice social worker and chaplain every week. It helps a lot.  I'm so glad I have that. Plus, friends.  That's important.  AND THIS site. THere are SO MANY CARING and THOUGHTFUL people around here.  This world is full of people who aren't.  So, to read the content that I see here of people who care, who feel for others, who are concerned about their family, friends others...it's a HUGE deal.  Where do we get that little thing that's in our mind and in our hearts?  IDK.  We are so fortunate. Though it's a pain in the asp, I still am grateful to have a conscience and the courage to exert my convictions.  (Referring to covid-19 issues.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I think it is a cultural thing.  America, the land of individualists, where personal freedom is treasured.  People in Asia, on the other hand, grow up in an atmosphere where the elders are highly valued and where the greater good of society as a whole is an important tenet.  They are more compliant and less likely to question the status quo because that is their norm.  We tend to be the opposite.

Also, remember that SARS and various other viral illnesses have had huge outbreaks in Asia over the past few years and things like social distancing and wearing masks have been a routine part of life for most people for quite a while.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think it is a cultural thing.  America, the land of individualists, where personal freedom is treasured.  People in Asia, on the other hand, grow up in an atmosphere where the elders are highly valued and where the greater good of society as a whole is an important tenet.  They are more compliant and less likely to question the status quo because that is their norm.  We tend to be the opposite.

Also, remember that SARS and various other viral illnesses have had huge outbreaks in Asia over the past few years and things like social distancing and wearing masks have been a routine part of life for most people for quite a while.

Yup you’re right. The USA is a very individualist society, and that comes with pluses and minuses. Doing things for “the good of the group” isn’t really woven into your cultural fabric. We are the land of “I want”- which can lead to brilliant innovations and self fulfillment but on a collective level might not be the best all the time. 

@SunnyBeBe we are grateful for you too!

We we’re talking about this at work, (virtually of course) and I brought up that before I was born people used to act a fool over seat belts. “I don’t wanna wear a seat belt! You can’t make me wear a seat belt, it will ruin my clothes, this is my freedom, if I want to die that’s my right. You can’t give me a ticket.”

Now to hear such a thing would be folly. Everyone down to the tiniest child puts on their seatbelt when they get into the car, it’s second nature. 

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I respect other's lives, but, this covid thing is also about self preservation. I don't get the feeling that a lot of people are that concerned about their own survival. 

I think most people look at the death rate, 1-2%, and figure it won't be them.  Same reason why a lot of motorcyclists won't wear helmets. Or why they drink and drive.  Or smoke cigarettes.  Or overeat.  People tend to go for the instant gratification rather than take the long view.

11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

We we’re talking about this at work, (virtually of course) and I brought up that before I was born people used to act a fool over seat belts. “I don’t wanna wear a seat belt! You can’t make me wear a seat belt, it will ruin my clothes, this is my freedom, if I want to die that’s my right. You can’t give me a ticket.”

Now to hear such a thing would be folly. Everyone down to the tiniest child puts on their seatbelt when they get into the car, it’s second nature. 

Back when they were first coming into vogue, people used to insist that they were MORE likely to die if belted.  'What if the car catches fire and the belt won't open?' despite the fact that far more people die of injuries from being tossed around the car than from any ensuing fire.

You hear the same stuff from people who claim they are far safer having a loaded gun in their home than not despite the fact that people with loaded guns not properly secured in their homes are far more likely to hurt themselves or a loved one than they are to foil a robbery or prevent an in-home assault.

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

... It sounds like a lot of emotional pain going on with so many.....it's a struggle, that's for sure. I talk to the hospice social worker and chaplain every week. It helps a lot.  I'm so glad I have that. Plus, friends.  That's important.  AND THIS site. THere are SO MANY CARING and THOUGHTFUL people around here.  This world is full of people who aren't.  So, to read the content that I see here of people who care, who feel for others, who are concerned about their family, friends others...it's a HUGE deal.  Where do we get that little thing that's in our mind and in our hearts?  IDK.  We are so fortunate. Though it's a pain in the asp, I still am grateful to have a conscience and the courage to exert my convictions.  (Referring to covid-19 issues.)

The news and comments I read about the news make me despair.  This is an oasis of decency and is one of the few sources of hope.

• Love 18
(edited)
30 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think most people look at the death rate, 1-2%, and figure it won't be them.  Same reason why a lot of motorcyclists won't wear helmets. Or why they drink and drive.  Or smoke cigarettes.  Or overeat.  People tend to go for the instant gratification rather than take the long view.

Back when they were first coming into vogue, people used to insist that they were MORE likely to die if belted.  'What if the car catches fire and the belt won't open?' despite the fact that far more people die of injuries from being tossed around the car than from any ensuing fire.

You hear the same stuff from people who claim they are far safer having a loaded gun in their home than not despite the fact that people with loaded guns not properly secured in their homes are far more likely to hurt themselves or a loved one than they are to foil a robbery or prevent an in-home assault.

I’m ok with people making irresponsible decisions, as long as they don’t affect others. Don’t want to wear a helmet? Fine, doesn’t affect anyone else. Drive drunk? You could kill others. Smoke inside your own gone? No problem. Smoke in a public place? Absolutely not.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 11
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think most people look at the death rate, 1-2%, and figure it won't be them.  Same reason why a lot of motorcyclists won't wear helmets. Or why they drink and drive.  Or smoke cigarettes.  Or overeat.  People tend to go for the instant gratification rather than take the long view

my college professor daughter teaches on and did her dissertation on, epidemics/pandemics in early America  pre 1800 and patient agency.

we have talked at length on the exact thing @doodlebug says on the "it will not happen to me attitude"

amazing ow times change and thoughts don't change much. it is always "those people" those sinners that didn't seek the lord, those poor people, those whatever people.

no epidemic/pandemic has ever cared.

side note - professor daughter has taught a course called "Conspiracy Theories" the past few years. makes students check facts and sources, write to support their position. class is full every semester

• Love 11

I think I've got a bit of quarantine fatigue, tbh. I'm still wearing my mask anytime I'm in public and I'm mainly at home, except for trips to the grocery store, doctor's office, etc., and following all of the recommended protocols, but I'm tired of it. I won't stop doing any of the safety things but the lack of "normality" is wearing me down. I miss stupid things like going out to dinner, doing some leisurely shopping, meandering through Target. And then I remind myself that I'm being selfish and people have died or recovered and will face a lifetime of health challenges, but yeah, I'm still worn out. 

It doesn't help that summer arrived with a vengeance here and it's already in the upper 90s with no rain in sight. It is damn near impossible to breathe in a mask outside here. Plus, I hate the heat so I'm going to be a bundle of joy for the next few months, lol .

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It doesn't help that summer arrived with a vengeance here and it's already in the upper 90s with no rain in sight. It is damn near impossible to breathe in a mask outside here.

Not looking forward to wearing a mask in Arkansas summers either, to be honest. I'll do it and follow all the rules, but holy hell, not looking forward to wearing one when the heat index is 110. It's been unusually hot for early June here already. :S 

• Love 7

I read that the key to keeping a little cooler is to get white masks.  This why I haven't purchased a black one. Those are popular.  So far, I'm in white and pink.  I'm considering ordering this shirt, but, don't want to invite trouble. lol

https://www.etsy.com/listing/818498261/masked-kitties-shirt-wear-your-mask?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=cat+mask+shirt&ref=sc_gallery-1-7&plkey=48ee2a712c6f561427cfbc8653a5b453f2719cef%3A818498261&col=1

My BE KIND t-shirt has not arrived. I've tried to track it........I fear it's lost.  From now on, only ordering from major stores or Amazon. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I’m ok with people making irresponsible decisions, as long as they don’t affect others. Don’t want to wear a helmet? Fine, doesn’t affect anyone else. Drive drunk? You could kill others. Smoke inside your own gone? No problem. Smoke in a public place? Absolutely not.

Not wearing a helmet DOES affect the rest of us.  Most serious head/neck injuries leading to permanent disability occur in young men.  Young men are the least likely members of society to have health insurance.  And, if they suffer permanent brain injury, quadriplegia, or paraplegia, they are likely to need long-term care, sometimes even inpatient care.  All of this adds up to tens of millions of dollars spent every year providing health care for people who make an irresponsible decision that results in permanent disability.

Same with drinking and driving.  Even if the driver is the only one injured, society often pays a huge price in caring for that individual as they recover-or don't.

I did a neurosurgery rotation one summer.  Over Labor Day weekend, we had FOUR accident victims brought in.  All young men, all intoxicated at the time they jumped in the pool, hopped on the motorcycle or got behind the wheel.  Every singe one with a neck fracture and quadriplegia.  Of course, they and their families argued that they were going to beat the odds and walk out the door.  I didn't follow them long term but I would be willing to bet that every single one needed constant care for the rest of his life.

On a happier note, I got this shirt and I love it. 

Womens-Quaranteam-Mate-Crusher-Vee_71242_1_lg.png

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 24