Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

As you know i took my grandsons out of a very abusive fundie family. The school is a cross between a charter and a private school. It is for kids who have been abused. It does not cost anything to go there.

What state are you in? I've never done school social work but I have some friends who have, maybe they have a connection. Those boys are very lucky they have a sane person looking out for them:)

• Love 2
(edited)

As you know i took my grandsons out of a very abusive fundie family. The school is a cross between a charter and a private school. It is for kids who have been abused. It does not cost anything to go there.

All the more reason to set up a GoFundMe page, please let us know what it is. :)

Edited by NextIteration

I have to share because I'm so excited and nobody else is awake - but I'm going to Hawai'i at the end of next month! It's a spur of the moment trip with my cousin. She's housesitting for a friend and it just came up. AHHH! I'm so excited!!! This is so unlike me, you don't even know. I'll be broke forever and should probably use the money to pay off my student loans, but TEN DAYS IN HAWAI'I! Only cost is flight and food. :D So happy.

• Love 21

I'm happy for you, Spaghetti! :). I love Hawaii, I spent 4 1/2 months in Kona and Oahu before heading to college and then later honeymooned on Maui. Ten days is the pefect amount of time to unwind and vacation there. Anything less is too short, imo, our honeymoon was amazing but we stayed only a week and it goes by too fast! You're going to love it!!

• Love 2

As a Navy family, we have been stationed in Hawaii a couple of times...for four and a half years the first time, and two years the second. It's an amazing place! I know quite a few people who opted to retire there. The only thing that really got to me was the lack of seasons. I'm not a hot weather person to begin with, and never having anything like Fall or Winter, especially around Christmastime, just didn't feel right!

Enjoy your stay! I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!

• Love 1

There's something to be said for paying off student loans, but getting a chance to travel on the cheap every so often should not be wasted either. Have a great time and post back so we can all enjoy!!

• Love 2

Thank you!! I was thinking about moving there after I graduated college a couple years ago but I actually talked to people who lived there and they talked me out of it. I think I would go "island crazy". But maybe I'll change my mind after I visit! I've never been there before.

I'm looking forward to the food most of all. I think the island fusion will be very interesting!

• Love 1
(edited)

My computer keeps jumping a video ad near the top of the feed. It has happened twice while typing this post (3x now). And also happens while reading posts. (4x). Very annoying!!!!!

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1

I have to share because I'm so excited and nobody else is awake - but I'm going to Hawai'i at the end of next month! It's a spur of the moment trip with my cousin. She's housesitting for a friend and it just came up. AHHH! I'm so excited!!! This is so unlike me, you don't even know. I'll be broke forever and should probably use the money to pay off my student loans, but TEN DAYS IN HAWAI'I! Only cost is flight and food. :D So happy.

You only live once. No worries, those student loans can patiently wait until you get back! Have a Pina Colada on the beach for me, please.

• Love 5

Thank you!! I was thinking about moving there after I graduated college a couple years ago but I actually talked to people who lived there and they talked me out of it. I think I would go "island crazy". But maybe I'll change my mind after I visit! I've never been there before.

I'm looking forward to the food most of all. I think the island fusion will be very interesting!

I never seemed prone to the whole "island fever" thing. Heck, we even did a couple of years in Guam, which is only about 30 miles long and between 3-5 miles wide. Maybe because I have such a terrible sense of direction that I feel secure knowing I can get only just so lost, and a glance around at the mountain ranges from almost any part of the island will give me a reasonable sense of where I am and which way I need to go LOL.

And, yes, the food can be great there, from the highbrow to the lowbrow. The kids and I used to love the ubiquitous Poke (a raw ahi dish with seaweed, soy sauce and spices) and Spam Musubi (a Spam slice in a teriyaki glaze sandwiched in sushi rice and wrapped in Nori)...About as lowbrow as Tater Tot Casserole, but strangely addictive. Both available at any supermarket.

Where in Hawai'i will you be staying? I might be able to come up with some things to see and do on the cheap.

I've had that happen sometimes, too, GeeGolly. Sometimes it goes away if you refresh the page. A lot of times it doesn't, and I just leave, exasperated, and try again later.

I have that problem with this site all the time. That and, recently it wants to make my keyboard seize up in fits and starts

• Love 1

[snip]

And, yes, the food can be great there, from the highbrow to the lowbrow. The kids and I used to love the ubiquitous Poke (a raw ahi dish with seaweed, soy sauce and spices) and Spam Musubi (a Spam slice in a teriyaki glaze sandwiched in sushi rice and wrapped in Nori)...About as lowbrow as Tater Tot Casserole, but strangely addictive. Both available at any supermarket.

[snip]

Hey J&T,

Did you ever get popcorn at the movie theater in Hawaii? The ones I went to asked if I wanted my popcorn with or without yeast. Apparently yeast is a thing on popcorn in the Islands. Who knew?? Without yeast, thanks!

The food is amazing. One of my favorite and inexpensive dishes to order at food trucks is teriyaki chicken and sticky rice, yum! Lots of papaya ice cream and shave ice. Lots of delicious fruit right off the tree sold on the side of the road: papayas, persimmons, bananas, avocados, star fruit, mangos, pineapple, coconut -- oh my!! Take a pocket knife with you and eat on the go. The fruit stands will cut them for you if you want. They make the best smoothie and fruit crepes for you roadside.

• Love 1

When I lived there short term, breakfast was simple. Either a bowl of homemade granola with milk or a slice of toast with fresh fruit along with a couple cups of Kona coffee. I pretty much existed on eating an entire avocado for lunch everyday, either in a salad, on a sandwich, or by itself along with fresh fruit. Needless to say, my digestive system ran perfectly. So healthy. Good times!

• Love 1

My computer keeps jumping a video ad near the top of the feed. It has happened twice while typing this post (3x now). And also happens while reading posts. (4x). Very annoying!!!!!

I've had that happen sometimes, too, GeeGolly. Sometimes it goes away if you refresh the page. A lot of times it doesn't, and I just leave, exasperated, and try again later.

You can bring this to the attention of relevant mods at http://forums.previously.tv/topic/27743-ads-that-interfere-with-scrolling-and-typing/?p=1293001
  • Love 3

Went to victim assistance and they talked to me and my boys and they said they can help us with the computer and Ipad they will give me 25% of the money as long as I bring them the court papers and police reports. On Monday I will fax them over as my lawyer is off today as it is the July 4th Holiday. For all you people who want to help me I will post my Go Fund Me account later.

• Love 12
(edited)

Hey J&T,

Did you ever get popcorn at the movie theater in Hawaii? The ones I went to asked if I wanted my popcorn with or without yeast. Apparently yeast is a thing on popcorn in the Islands. Who knew?? Without yeast, thanks!

The food is amazing. One of my favorite and inexpensive dishes to order at food trucks is teriyaki chicken and sticky rice, yum! Lots of papaya ice cream and shave ice. Lots of delicious fruit right off the tree sold on the side of the road: papayas, persimmons, bananas, avocados, star fruit, mangos, pineapple, coconut -- oh my!! Take a pocket knife with you and eat on the go. The fruit stands will cut them for you if you want. They make the best smoothie and fruit crepes for you roadside.

Just finished watching The Descendants with George Clooney. Highly recommend it, BTW. The land is gorgeous, the water is THE most beautiful color. And now you tell me you can buy freshly-made smoothies and crepes made with fresh-off-the-trees fruit? Along the side of the road?? Oy, now I'm sure I want to live there...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1
(edited)

When I lived there short term, breakfast was simple. Either a bowl of homemade granola with milk or a slice of toast with fresh fruit along with a couple cups of Kona coffee. I pretty much existed on eating an entire avocado for lunch everyday, either in a salad, on a sandwich, or by itself along with fresh fruit. Needless to say, my digestive system ran perfectly. So healthy. Good times!

In the mid 80s, my SIL took a long-saved-for trip to Hawaii with a girlfriend about six months before she and my brother got engaged - he didn't go on this trip since they hadn't known each other all that long at that point - and I'm sure $$ was tight for him as well. She brought back the nicest presents for everyone, including us, her boyfriend's family. I got a pound of Kona coffee, which I wish I could have stretched out forever because it's one of the best things I've ever tasted in my life - and Kona is really hard to find - not to mention super $$$ - on the mainland. If I ever go to Hawaii myself, I'm going to ship about 20 pounds of Kona home and dole it out with an eyedropper. I may not even tell anyone if I have it - bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! All for me! :>)

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

Just finished watching The Descendants with George Clooney. Highly recommend it, BTW. The land is gorgeous, the water is THE most beautiful color. And now you tell me you can buy freshly-made smoothies and crepes made with fresh-off-the-trees fruit? Along the side of the road?? Oy, now I'm sure I want to live there...

Thanks for recommendation, Wellfleet -- I'll have to watch it.

Oh yes, the roadside fruit stands are all around. We ran into one that used the honor system on the road to Hana (which is paradise by the way) in Maui and they had a locked box that you slid the money into and you selected your fruit. The weather is nearly perfect every day, 85 degrees and breezy. It might rain in the afternoon and then it clears up. If you can swing it, I highly recommend making the trip.

• Love 3

Thanks for recommendation, Wellfleet -- I'll have to watch it.

Oh yes, the roadside fruit stands are all around. We ran into one that used the honor system on the road to Hana (which is paradise by the way) in Maui and they had a locked box that you slid the money into and you selected your fruit. The weather is nearly perfect every day, 85 degrees and breezy. It might rain in the afternoon and then it clears up. If you can swing it, I highly recommend making the trip.

See, there's my problem right there LOL...85 degrees, even with a breeze, is bordering on hell in my mind. I loved Hawai'i, but it was just too warm. All.The.Time. My idea of a perfect climate is one which never saw the high end of the 70's. For a couple of months in the Summer. Something in the 50's and 60's the rest of the year would be ideal, and I'd not be averse to a stretch of cold and snowy stuff come Winter.

• Love 6

Where in Hawai'i will you be staying? I might be able to come up with some things to see and do on the cheap.

I'll be in the outskirts of Honolulu! I've done a lot of research already. I love to be outside so it's pretty much all hiking/watersports/beach bumming!!

• Love 2

See, there's my problem right there LOL...85 degrees, even with a breeze, is bordering on hell in my mind. I loved Hawai'i, but it was just too warm. All.The.Time. My idea of a perfect climate is one which never saw the high end of the 70's. For a couple of months in the Summer. Something in the 50's and 60's the rest of the year would be ideal, and I'd not be averse to a stretch of cold and snowy stuff come Winter.

Jynnan Tonix, scoot over so I can join you at that table. That sounds like my perfect type of climate. Here in New England it's close--maybe a little too warm for stretches in summer, and a bit too cold and snowy (sometimes) in winter, but I'm with you, once it's starts climbing past 80, I'm not happy. This is the first time in a loooong time that I'm going to enjoy the Fourth--it's cloudy and supposed to be in the mid 70s. If the rain holds off, it'll be my ideal 4th.

• Love 5
(edited)

Chiming in on "perect" weather.  I live on the arctic tundra, er Minnesota and it gets too hot here in the summer!  I'm a mid 70s gal myself, I think I put up with all the weather shenanigans here in this state because we get about 30 pristine days between April and the end of June, where it's low humidity, 75, breezy and sunny.  Autumn is my favorite season though.  And I always felt this way - it's got nothing to do with my middle aged thermometer. ;)

The GoFundMe link didn't work for me either.

Edited by NextIteration
(edited)

Chiming in on "perect" weather.  I live on the arctic tundra, er Minnesota and it gets too hot here in the summer!  I'm a mid 70s gal myself, I think I put up with all the weather shenanigans here in this state because we get about 30 pristine days between April and the end of June, where it's low humidity, 75, breezy and sunny.  Autumn is my favorite season though.  And I always felt this way - it's got nothing to do with my middle aged thermometer. ;)

We've retired to Connecticut right now. Horrible state tax-wise, but it's been "home" for most of my life (on and off, at least). My parents are still here, and since I'm an only child, being close by is important at this point. Plus our daughter and son-in-law live about 15 minutes away (no grandbabies yet, but I'm hoping!). I actually like the weather here more than most of the other places we have lived (except for maybe Scotland, because I'm weird enough to really enjoy rainy days, and the temperature there really is sort of ideal all year round).

Yeah, Connecticut gets hot and humid in the summer, but there are also random cooler days here and there (it's supposed to be around 75 and cloudy today, which is pretty nice), so you never get completely worn out by those seemingly endless stretches of blistering, wilting weather (such as we had in southern Georgia...once you hit the end of March there, you know you aren't really going to get a reprieve from the heat until sometime in November). And you can't beat a good New England Fall. Even Winter is good...a lot of people seem to be longing for warmer weather by February or March here, but I'm happy to have a lingering Winter such as we had this year :) I do love a nice, solid snowfall!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 4

As someone who suffers through Australian summers in a house with no air-conditioning, I have to say, my perfect weather would be 25C (77F) with the occasional cool breeze, and thunderstorms at night. So far, I've failed to build myself a weather machine that will make this happen.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm a New England girl and yeah, the humidity sucks in the summer. Ditto for the mosquitos. However the worst winters I ever experienced were when I lived in Chicago. The wind whipping off Lake Michigan was just brutal.

I live in Las Vegas now and the summers suck donkey balls, you can't even go outside between 8am and 8pm, the heat is so oppressive.

I used to be a flight attendant and spent quite a bit of time in England and Scotland and I loved the climate over there as well. The air always felt so dewy and fresh.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

My working theory has always been that you can layer it on for the cold, but naked is naked and when you're overheated naked, there is nothing you can do.  I grew up w/o air and shopped for my first home whilst pregnant.  Central Air was MANDATORY!

• Love 3

You just described the climate here. May be why the people at NOAA said it was the best. We warm up in the fall when the Central Valley cools, and those warm, dry days are heaven. As for summers, I leave the bedroom windows open almost year-round. It's totally ambient temps around here; most residences don't have A/C, it's older construction for the most part. Have to go inland for that, or gut your house to install an HVAC system that really just isn't that cost-effective here. 

(edited)

In another thread, we were talking about calling someone a Molester vs saying someone molested. Obviously we were talking about Josh, and someone (don't know who) basically said that if you believe someone can change, you aren't any different than the "leg humpers" who defend him. I think that's cruel and unfair - I don't know anyone here who thinks Josh didn't molest and sexually assault his sisters and at least one other young woman.

But people DO change, and besides, the distinction between using a noun and a verb is a philosophical one, not a moral one. Yes, I realize that people who have committed and/or been convicted of crimes everywhere are labeled by their actions. I choose not to participate in that. Yes, I realize that people are called addicts. I choose not to participate in that, but see them instead as people struggling with addiction.

There are no rose colored glasses in my world. My life has actually been pretty dark. (Anyone who has read my first novel can probably attest to this.) But not wishing to be defined by a few words, GOOD OR BAD, is how I wish to be treated, in recognition of the complexity of any human being. It doesn't mean I think Josh Duggar or anyone else is a "good" or "bad" person. It just means I think his life is more than just one word. I'd do the same for all of you, too.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 8

My glasses are dark, brooding and I refuse to take them off, even at night. Makes me bump into things, but I always look cool while doing so! ;)

• Love 3

I understand your philosophy @GEML but for me it applies to all but those that abuse and exploit children.  Now, I realize that Josh not an adult at the time either, but even teens do nasty things to younger children that cause trauma.  For me?  There is a special place in hell for all of them.

I'm against capital punishment, but I rethink that every single time a story comes out about heinous acts of child sexual abuse.  And though Elizabeth Smart has handled her situation with grace, I remember before she was found thinking that she would be better off dead than trying to recover from whatever terrible situation she was in.  Clearly, she is a young lady whose faith has helped her heal as well, that's so admirable.  I'm just not that evolved, apparently.

I live in New Jersey and my family jokes that I should live in San Diego - I hate hot and humid weather. We did not have ac growing up.  When I was a teenager we got ac in the kitchen which cooled that and the living room off. None in the bedrooms. I refuse to live someplace where I can not have at least window ac's. I have year-round asthmatic allergies and have trouble breathing when it is hot and humid. Last week we had a few days in the 90's and very humid-It was horrible. Unlike a lot of my friends I like winter and don't mind snow as long as their is not 2 ft. of it. The best season is the fall-beautiful days and cool nights. Winters are usually not that bad, although we had it cold and snowy this year.I have family in Florida & Georgia and went every year to visit them. The summers were brutal. I went to Vegas and it was 110 degrees. I was ready to die-don't believe it when they say a dry heat is better. 110 is hot!

• Love 2

But people DO change, and besides, the distinction between using a noun and a verb is a philosophical one, not a moral one. Yes, I realize that people who have committed and/or been convicted of crimes everywhere are labeled by their actions. I choose not to participate in that. Yes, I realize that people are called addicts. I choose not to participate in that, but see them instead as people struggling with addiction.

There are no rose colored glasses in my world. My life has actually been pretty dark. (Anyone who has read my first novel can probably attest to this.) But not wishing to be defined by a few words, GOOD OR BAD, is how I wish to be treated, in recognition of the complexity of any human being. It doesn't mean I think Josh Duggar or anyone else is a "good" or "bad" person. It just means I think his life is more than just one word. I'd do the same for all of you, too.

Nicely said. I also think Josh had parents who all but performed sexual activity in front of their kids...i.e., the golf course scene in front of Jessa and Ben (knowing she was a victim) was raised to be... this way.

Hard to put it in words. I think JB and Michelle are perverts and somehow, their children are suffering the consequences. A wild theory I know.

• Love 1

The Small Talk thread plane flight has hit some turbulence in the social media sky since a few passengers have decided to take the heated Josh molestation discussion onto the plane. The flight crew wants our passengers to know there are other places for this discussion to take place, and we want the flight to be comfortable and enjoyable for everyone. The posts who are going into the potentially heated off topic space in the sky will cause our flight to land at an airport where they will be hidden or edited at the discretion of our mod flight attendants. And we want to remind everyone not to bring the speculation of why Josh did what he did since none of us has sat down with him for a proper diagnosis of what caused his behavior, and the mods will be removing these types of posts from the flight also. So lets all sit back, buckle up, enjoy our drinks, and please remember the PM button near your seat in case you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Just made my donation.  I grew up in NJ and moved to the south in 1970.  It was like a dream come true for me.  After 3 years in the Bay area in California, moved back to the south.  Yes it is hot in the summer, but we consider those our bad months and the trade off is mostly nice weather the other 9 months.  Everything is air-conditioned.  We are moving to another southern state, but a little north, in a few months.  It will have four nice seasons.  Hot summers, yes, but, rest of the year pretty nice. I guess I am one of those odd folks who doesn't mind being hot outside.  Especially when I can go into my house or anyplace else and it is cool.  I don't have any allergies or respiratory issues, so I guess that is plus too.

• Love 2
(edited)

The best thing about florida is the weather, always warm enough to grow plants year round! My poor grandma freaks out when it hits 40°F though. We don't really bring her to new york in the winter.

Edited by dillpickles

The best thing about florida is the weather, always warm enough to grow plants year round! My poor grandma freaks out when it hits 40°F though. We don't really bring her to new york in the winter.

Back when I was a flight attendant I used to dread two things: snowbird flights to Florida and spring break flights to Florida. I still break out in a cold sweat when I think of working trips from JFK/ LGA to Orlando, West Palm, and Ft. Myers. Love the state, nearly went insane dealing with planes full of 250 seniors, each needing a wheelchair upon arrival.

• Love 4

Was just flicking channels, just hanging out after the 4th & there is a 7th Heaven marathon on UP today.

Aside from the fact that the show is so dated, it's hard to imagine how old the episodes are & how young everyone looks; I was surprised that it was even on! I thought reruns were stopped after Stephen Collins' interview.

His situation is another that I think is a shame it came out-it was so long ago & not as many incidents as Josh's.