Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know I should be a good library worker and not checkout the new stuff, but I need something to listen to while I work by myself in an empty library.  

You have my dream job.  I always wanted to be a librarian, but I ended up becoming a nurse.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My library uses a different platform, but we have been ramping up the electronic ordering since we've been closed.  I have shamelessly been using it.  I know I should be a good library worker and not checkout the new stuff, but I need something to listen to while I work by myself in an empty library.  

Our library is still doing curbside service, and I have been stocking up on doorstop books every time I work a shift. We will probably shut down completely in 2 weeks because we will run out of cleaning supplies. 

Which platform does your system use?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Our library is still doing curbside service, and I have been stocking up on doorstop books every time I work a shift. We will probably shut down completely in 2 weeks because we will run out of cleaning supplies. 

Which platform does your system use?

We use RBDigital which is Recorded Books.  We were doing curbside, but it was too overwhelming for essential staff only.  I'm working my 40 hours by myself cleaning up my branch.  By the time we reopen, I will have made sure every book, movie, and audiobook is in its home.  I am also developing a collection development plan for what is probably going to be a very lean fiscal year coming up.  It's a good mix of moving around and sitting at a computer.  I do have a library computer at home so I can work from home if I want.    Our phones have been changed so all calls at all the branches go to a central line, so I don't have to answer the phone anymore.  I could have some of my staff in with me, but I have one employee who does not understand social distancing, and I can't babysit her while doing anything else.  So that means, I can't have any of my other staff in.  Just trying to be fair.  One good thing is my library board is paying our part-timers for not working.  This will last until the end of the month.  What happens in May is anyone's guess at the moment, but I strongly suspect our governor will extend the stay at home order to at least May 15 if not the 31st.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

We use RBDigital which is Recorded Books.  We were doing curbside, but it was too overwhelming for essential staff only.  I'm working my 40 hours by myself cleaning up my branch.  By the time we reopen, I will have made sure every book, movie, and audiobook is in its home.  I am also developing a collection development plan for what is probably going to be a very lean fiscal year coming up.  It's a good mix of moving around and sitting at a computer.  I do have a library computer at home so I can work from home if I want.    Our phones have been changed so all calls at all the branches go to a central line, so I don't have to answer the phone anymore.  I could have some of my staff in with me, but I have one employee who does not understand social distancing, and I can't babysit her while doing anything else.  So that means, I can't have any of my other staff in.  Just trying to be fair.  One good thing is my library board is paying our part-timers for not working.  This will last until the end of the month.  What happens in May is anyone's guess at the moment, but I strongly suspect our governor will extend the stay at home order to at least May 15 if not the 31st.

We are broken into shifts of 2 and quarantining everything that is returned for a week. It can be pretty crazy because that's about half the staff we usually have on a given day but filling orders and sanitizing means we feel just as busy despite serving far fewer people than usual, but so far we are doing okay.

A lot of folks in our area don't have wifi at home and they seem to appreciate our efforts. They've thrown candy, homemade masks, and hand lotion into the book drop for us. ❤❤❤❤❤

Some of our sister branches have really struggled with it because of staffing issues. Once we close permanently, my boss has stuff we can all work on from home. She's trying to ensure nobody full time has to take leave for this and nobody part time loses time. I'll be doing a bunch of readers advisory research from home.

• Love 10

doodlebug can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you are immune from getting coronavirus again just because you've had it once before. I don't think it's like chicken pox that way. 

Boring news, I washed my hair last night after realizing I couldn't remember the last time I had. I've been wearing it up in a bun every day so I couldn't remember the last time I shampooed it! It's gotten pretty long and my roots are getting bad, but I think it's healthier because I'm not using my flat iron or hairspray every day (I have lovely half wavy/half straight hair, so those two things are a necessity). I can't wait for things to normalize so I can go back to doing mundane things like shopping and getting my hair colored. 

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

If I was getting married any time before sept/October I would just get married legally on the day I had planned (Or when the courts re-opened) and postpone things a year out to be sure guests had funds to attend and I could get the venues and things I wanted. 

I have a friend who's beach front wedding in NC was scheduled in mid May.  She has sent out notices that they would be rescheduling for a later date. I really feel for her.  She is over 35, first marriage and so looking forward to celebrating with their family and friends.  But, I'm sure that whatever they choose, it'll be special.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

It would be a conundrum, for sure! I usually really wish I was getting married, but now I’m relieved I’m not this year. I also usually really wish I had kids, but I’m so thankful not to during this stay at home order, where everyone else is complaining about their kids driving them crazy, and I have peace! Finally seeing the silver lining. LOL!

I am very glad I am unpartnered and childfree during social distancing. 🥰

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, Zella said:

We are broken into shifts of 2 and quarantining everything that is returned for a week. It can be pretty crazy because that's about half the staff we usually have on a given day but filling orders and sanitizing means we feel just as busy despite serving far fewer people than usual, but so far we are doing okay.

A lot of folks in our area don't have wifi at home and they seem to appreciate our efforts. They've thrown candy, homemade masks, and hand lotion into the book drop for us. ❤❤❤❤❤

Some of our sister branches have really struggled with it because of staffing issues. Once we close permanently, my boss has stuff we can all work on from home. She's trying to ensure nobody full time has to take leave for this and nobody part time loses time. I'll be doing a bunch of readers advisory research from home.

All my patrons have left in my book drop are library books and water-damaged donations.  

4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am very glad I am unpartnered and childfree during social distancing. 🥰

Same here.  The only thing is, I live with my mom.  The only person I talk to anymore is my mom.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Same here.  The only thing is, I live with my mom.  The only person I talk to anymore is my mom.

Yeah my Mom is downstairs. The only person I talk to in person is my Mom and my sister’s caregiver who is still coming in. 

The downstairs unit is just far enough way but still close. 

• Love 4

Every virus is unique. Covid hasn't been around long enough to know if immunity happens at all, or if it will last months or years. And chickenpox sits dormant and can re-emerge as shingles.

I think for those of us who haven't had the (typical) flu in a long time we forget how sick one can feel. The flu continues to kill folks every year as well. Both my husband and daughter had something at different times this year. Both were very sick and both were run down for weeks after. No one else in my household became sick, nor did my daughter's roommate or co-workers, so I'm guessing in was the typical flu.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Every virus is unique. Covid hasn't been around long enough to know if immunity happens at all, or if it will last months or years. And chickenpox sits dormant and can re-emerge as shingles.

I think for those of us who haven't had the (typical) flu in a long time we forget how sick one can feel. The flu continues to kill folks every year as well. Both my husband and daughter had something at different times this year. Both were very sick and both were run down for weeks after. No one else in my household became sick, nor did my daughter's roommate or co-workers, so I'm guessing in was the typical flu.

I had Type A flu diagnosed by test year before last, and Tami flu was like a miracle drug for me.  I got on it on day 2 and within hours felt so much better!  So, while the flu was horrible for a short time, this last cold/virus/bronchitis thing lasted 4 weeks solid. 

I've read online that covid-19 is a very small virus and can penetrate through very small spaces.  That's how it gets through some masks.  Also, that's why it's so deadly to those who have damaged lungs, because it can penetrate through very small crevices.  I'm no medical expert, so, does that sound right?  Have most of the patients who have died or become very sick have a history of lung disease or smoking OR have they lived in locations with lots of AIR POLLUTION? I thought of that as I looked at cities that have high mortality like LA and NYC.  I've also read that the majority of those who die from Covid-19 are African American.  Why?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had Type A flu diagnosed by test year before last, and Tami flu was like a miracle drug for me.  I got on it on day 2 and within hours felt so much better!  So, while the flu was horrible for a short time, this last cold/virus/bronchitis thing lasted 4 weeks solid. 

I've read online that covid-19 is a very small virus and can penetrate through very small spaces.  That's how it gets through some masks.  Also, that's why it's so deadly to those who have damaged lungs, because it can penetrate through very small crevices.  I'm no medical expert, so, does that sound right?  Have most of the patients who have died or become very sick have a history of lung disease or smoking OR have they lived in locations with lots of AIR POLLUTION? I thought of that as I looked at cities that have high mortality like LA and NYC.  I've also read that the majority of those who die from Covid-19 are African American.  Why?  

This was kind of what I was thinking. I got the flu pretty bad in 2018, and felt awful for a week, and then pretty bad the next week. I also got a secondary infection that time, which sucked. However, this time took me months to get over. I assumed it was the flu at the time, and every flu is different, but it was just so strange that it took thaaaaat long to get better! Who knows, really? I just know that I don’t want to get that sick again anytime soon!

• Love 4

For those of you who think you may have had Covid-19 in the early days of the pandemic, I am curious as to whether anyone else you might have come in contact with got it. If, for instance, @Christina87 had it, she would have been able to pass it on to others at her school before knowing she had it herself. As contagious as it is, it would seem that quite a few people at the school would have contracted it if that's what it was. 

• Love 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Y’all, I am reeeeeally wondering if I had the Coronavirus this fall. I was extremely sick, the sickest I’ve ever been by far!

You couldn't have had it last fall unless you visited Wuhan China.  I hear all sorts of people these days speculating that some illness they had this past fall or winter was Coronavirus.  But, unless two different Corona viruses mutated simultaneously; one in China and one near you; you couldn't have had it.

I do remember when you were sick last fall; but Corona virus 19 was not seen here in the US until late in January.  The very first case was seen in Wuhan in November.  Epidemiologists have traced it back to an animal market there where the virus apparently mutated and spread from an animal to a human.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 11
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's not just lung issues that exacerbate covid. Heart disease, diabetes, blood disorders, immune disorders and certain medications do as well.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

COVID is a corona virus which tends not to have a latent form like the herpes viruses such as the ones that cause chicken pox or cold sores or genital herpes.  It is unlikely it would live in the body for years and recur.

In general, COVID 19 is more similar to the viruses that cause colds and flu and we should be able to mount an immune response to it which should prevent recurrence.  We don't know for sure though, because it hasn't been around long enough to tell.

We don't know what will happen with COVID; this virus has shown itself to be very rapidly spread and also to have mutated several times since its discovery.  So, even for people who got COVID 19, the virus might mutate just like the flu and cold viruses do and we could end up with COVID 20 or 25 and people who had COVID 19 might not have immunity to it.  That's why we need a flu shot every year; because different strains develop and become dominant each year.  That's also why the flu shot doesn't always protect completely; when the vaccine is developed, it is with scientists taking an educated guess as to which viral forms are going to be prevalent in a given season and making up a vaccine for those.  There are inevitably times when other viruses turn up and become the more common unexpectedly.

• Useful 14
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

COVID is a corona virus which tends not to have a latent form like the herpes viruses such as the ones that cause chicken pox or cold sores or genital herpes.  It is unlikely it would live in the body for years and recur.

In general, COVID 19 is more similar to the viruses that cause colds and flu and we should be able to mount an immune response to it which should prevent recurrence.  We don't know for sure though, because it hasn't been around long enough to tell.

We don't know what will happen with COVID; this virus has shown itself to be very rapidly spread and also to have mutated several times since its discovery.  So, even for people who got COVID 19, the virus might mutate just like the flu and cold viruses do and we could end up with COVID 20 or 25 and people who had COVID 19 might not have immunity to it.  That's why we need a flu shot every year; because different strains develop and become dominant each year.  That's also why the flu shot doesn't always protect completely; when the vaccine is developed, it is with scientists taking an educated guess as to which viral forms are going to be prevalent in a given season and making up a vaccine for those.  There are inevitably times when other viruses turn up and become the more common unexpectedly.

My reference to chickenpox was in response to another poster saying once you get it, you don't get it again, which is only partially true. I wasn't comparing it to covid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I fear that closing testing sites is to keep reported numbers lower, which would please someone who thinks about his ratings and numbers only!  I agree that the antibodies test may prove more reliable numbers of COVID cases. It could also be more useful by allowing those who have had it to help those who haven't, either through blood donation or by going back to work. I read on Crooked Media this morning that tests of sewage system showed for example, that the numbers of COVID-19 positives in Massachusetts is likely much greater than testing shows. Our sh** will also tell the tale!

Peace and health to all Small Talkers today. We have survived another day and spring gives hope for the future! 

We already have low numbers because we're only testing a small fraction of the people who are sick in this country.  Testing is still not widely available here, no matter what you read or hear.  This morning, one of the Today Show correspondents who lives in the NYC area was interviewed.  Her husband has been sick at home for about a week, quarantined in a basement bedroom with all of the symptoms of COVID. He has an order to be tested, but, due to limited testing available, his appointment for testing is not for another 4 days as only those being hospitalized are tested without an appointment in that area.  They will then have a 4-5 day wait for results.  So, they will know the answer right around the time he recovers.

Even here in the Midwest, we aren't testing many outpatients as much, just the sickest people.  Although the US has the largest number of COVID 19 cases reported in the world (we know China has lied about their numbers); when you look at the number of tests being done per fraction of the population; we have one of the lowest testing rates of any developed country.  Something like 0.1% of our population has been tested, South Korea has tested a 10 times greater proportion of theirs, more than 1%.  We still do not have enough testing availability.  Now that there is a more rapid test and private manufacturers are involved, that may improve.  However, for now, anyway, you've got to figure that we are only looking at the tip of a very large iceberg and, at best, there are 5 times as many people with the virus as our numbers indicate.

What we really need is a rapid antibody test to be done on the well.  We know that 80% of people who have COVID either didn't get very sick or didn't get sick at all.  20% get sick enough to probably see the doctor, 10% or so are hospitalized and 1-3% will die.  What we need to do is go to the families and close companions of people who have tested positive for COVID; draw their blood and see how many of them have antibodies.  Reliable testing is now being developed.  Probably the first group to be tested to see what the numbers look like will be health care workers with known direct exposure.  Once we know how many people might be immune, it will be easier to figure out when the social distancing/stay at home orders can be loosened.

I have a friend whose daughter, a resident in a Detroit area hospital, has tested positive and is sick, but at home.  Her college prof husband has got it now, too.  We were talking the other night and we expressed relief in knowing that, when she goes back to work, she is going to have immunity.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 15
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My reference to chickenpox was in response to another poster saying once you get it, you don't get it again, which is only partially true. I wasn't comparing it to covid.

Sorry I misunderstood.  However, you don't really get chicken pox again, you get shingles caused by the live virus which has been sequestered in your own cells, usually for years.  You cannot get shingles from someone who has chicken pox although someone can get chicken pox if they have direct contact with the blisters of someone who has shingles.

• Useful 9
  • Love 4
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

For those of you who think you may have had Covid-19 in the early days of the pandemic, I am curious as to whether anyone else you might have come in contact with got it. If, for instance, @Christina87 had it, she would have been able to pass it on to others at her school before knowing she had it herself. As contagious as it is, it would seem that quite a few people at the school would have contracted it if that's what it was. 

No one that I was around got as sick as me.  My brother got sick and actually stayed out of work for about a week, but, he was not as sick as I was.  I was around multiple family members, but, I practiced cleaning surfaces, covering mouth, staying a distance away, but, still, since no one else got sick...makes me think it wasn't covid-19.  But, still......it was just a sickness that I have never had before. Weeks after the major part, I would feel like I got hit by a truck. It felt like bronchitis or pneumonia. But, I kept thinking it was viral. If you look online about how that's treated....I was doing that at home.  I've been told by multiple doctors and dentists that I have a very high pain tolerance.  I'd just like an antibody test.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
(edited)

FWIW, in February/March 2019, I had bronchitis. Obviously not possible for it to have been COVID-19, and that is the most miserably sick I have ever been. I coughed until I vomited more than once, and I also coughed until I pissed my pants more than once. Sorry if that's TMI, but it took me weeks to recover. So, yeah, bronchitis is a bitch on its own. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Zella said:

FWIW, in February/March 2019, I had bronchitis. Obviously not possible for it to have been COVID-19, and that is the most miserably sick I have ever been. I coughed until I vomited more than once, and I also coughed until I pissed my pants more than once. Sorry if that's TMI, but it took me weeks to recover. So, yeah, bronchitis is a bitch on its own. 

OMG. I had no idea. You did suffer.   Well, maybe, that is the only thing I had too. ( I traveled to FL by plane in mid Jan. I recall sitting on the plane with a cougher behind me. It was bad. But, I didn't get sick until last Friday in Feb. So, that would  have been too long, unless, it stayed on some of my things. But, what are the chances of that?)  IF I had to trace, I'd say....I was at DUKE MED the Wednesday, before I got sick on Friday. Was in the parking garage, concourse, food court, clinic, etc. I think I got what I got there. Regardless of what it was, it was brutal.   My mom said she had never seen any human cough the way I did and that she nor my dad would have lived through it. 

Zella, Would you start to feel stronger and okay, then as you are getting dressed or ready to walk out the door, suddenly feel like every bit of life is sucked out of you?  That's just not me. I don't normally get tired in the day time. So, for me, it's a mystery. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

doodlebug can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you are immune from getting coronavirus again just because you've had it once before. I don't think it's like chicken pox that way. 

Boring news, I washed my hair last night after realizing I couldn't remember the last time I had. I've been wearing it up in a bun every day so I couldn't remember the last time I shampooed it! It's gotten pretty long and my roots are getting bad, but I think it's healthier because I'm not using my flat iron or hairspray every day (I have lovely half wavy/half straight hair, so those two things are a necessity). I can't wait for things to normalize so I can go back to doing mundane things like shopping and getting my hair colored. 

I can live with my color getting wonky but my bangs are driving me crazy. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG. I had no idea. You did suffer.   Well, maybe, that is the only thing I had too. ( I traveled to FL by plane in mid Jan. I recall sitting on the plane with a cougher behind me. It was bad. But, I didn't get sick until last Friday in Feb. So, that would  have been too long, unless, it stayed on some of my things. But, what are the chances of that?)  IF I had to trace, I'd say....I was at DUKE MED the Wednesday, before I got sick on Friday. Was in the parking garage, concourse, food court, clinic, etc. I think I got what I got there. Regardless of what it was, it was brutal.   My mom said she had never seen any human cough the way I did and that she nor my dad would have lived through it. 

Zella, Would you start to feel stronger and okay, then as you are getting dressed or ready to walk out the door, suddenly feel like every bit of life is sucked out of you?  That's just not me. I don't normally get tired in the day time. So, for me, it's a mystery. 

I basically was curled up in a ball for a week. That was when I told my family who still wanted me to do things to fuck off. Lol after that I was able to do things but I got winded easily.

I was too sick to read, and I tried to catch up on sleep because I spent my nights choking on all the fluids I was coughing up. I remembered reading about men who survived poison gas attacks in WWI having lung damage and sleeping in chairs for the rest of their lives due to similar issues, so I ended up propping pillows up to where I slept sitting up. One of my undergrad degrees was in history. Who said that history degree was worthless?!?!? 😉

I can check my diary later to see the exact progression but I don't think I was able to write much. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

So this thing could go on forever?

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've also read that the majority of those who die from Covid-19 are African American.  Why?  

I’m pretty sure the answer to that is racism. There is a lot of racism in healthcare and, in fact, just about every facet of life that would factor into who survives this disease. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

So this thing could go on forever?

Technically, yes.  But, we're going to develop better testing for it, we're going to find drugs that work and we're going to get vaccinated when it is available.  In other words, it is going to be more like the flu.  Yes, there are some who will die, but most of us won't.

9 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

I’m pretty sure the answer to that is racism. There is a lot of racism in healthcare and, in fact, just about every facet of life that would factor into who survives this disease. 

That is the answer. In almost any measurable outcome from life expectancy, maternal death and complications from disease; African Americans fare worse than others. That is even when you correct the data for socioeconomic status.  Institutionalized racism is real. 

• Love 8
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Zella said:

I basically was curled up in a ball for a week. That was when I told my family who still wanted me to do things to fuck off. Lol after that I was able to do things but I got winded easily.

I was too sick to read, and I tried to catch up on sleep because I spent my nights choking on all the fluids I was coughing up. I remembered reading about men who survived poison gas attacks in WWI having lung damage and sleeping in chairs for the rest of their lives due to similar issues, so I ended up propping pillows up to where I slept sitting up. One of my undergrad degrees was in history. Who said that history degree was worthless?!?!? 😉

I can check my diary later to see the exact progression but I don't think I was able to write much. 

My great grandfather died in the early 1920’s, and while he wasn’t in WWI, he had something horribly wrong with his lungs, and slept sitting in a chair. My grandmother was three when he died. They weren’t sad though, because he was a horrible domestic abuser. She probably would have had a bad childhood had he lived. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ugh that is the worst! My mom actually got upset with me for coughing so loudly, and thought I was just being overly dramatic. I must have been a very dramatic, attention-seeking child, because she constantly accuses me of things like this and I’m like...whaaaaaat...? It would never occur to me to cough overly badly just to put on a show. Whatever I had, it was terrible, and I don’t want anybody else to get it!

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

Word. 

41 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

That is the answer. In almost any measurable outcome from life expectancy, maternal death and complications from disease; African Americans fare worse than others. That is even when you correct the data for socioeconomic status.  Institutionalized racism is real. 

Absolutely. 

And I’m sitting here knowing that my god mother (Who has cancer and is on chemo) and mother (who has a few chronic health conditions) are out there in their 70s putting their life on the line because they want black and brown women to have the best care. 

If they can do that my black ass can stay the fuck at home!!

(I’m doing well with all this but I worry about both of them getting breathed on😢). 

• Love 22
5 hours ago, Zella said:

For those of you who like ebooks and audiobooks and are active library users, check if your library has Libby. I don't read audiobooks or ebooks. But I know from working at my local library that we have a pretty nice selection on there, and I'm sure that would be true for many other areas too.

Libby is fantastic!

• Love 4

Group hug?

My mom is still in complete isolation in her room at her assisted living facility. They bring her meals and meds in full PPE, although I haven’t heard of any other residents other than the original case having the virus (although my sister is the medical contact and she doesn’t always tell me everything). The isolation is accelerating my mom’s dementia...she keeps forgetting about the Covid situation and asking me to come visit. 😢 She is normally an extrovert and I am worried she is becoming clinically depressed. I think she mostly sleeps. 

All I can do from 2500 miles away is try to talk to her on the phone, which she now struggles to do, and send her goodies to eat. 

I feel helpless and guilty.

This sucks.

1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

Group hug?

My mom is still in complete isolation in her room at her assisted living facility. They bring her meals and meds in full PPE, although I haven’t heard of any other residents other than the original case having the virus (although my sister is the medical contact and she doesn’t always tell me everything). The isolation is accelerating my mom’s dementia...she keeps forgetting about the Covid situation and asking me to come visit. 😢 She is normally an extrovert and I am worried she is becoming clinically depressed. I think she mostly sleeps. 

All I can do from 2500 miles away is try to talk to her on the phone, which she now struggles to do, and send her goodies to eat. 

This sucks.

This is for you and everyone in Small Talk.

image.thumb.png.c52dcc43e3de01361bb9727bc268363b.png

• Love 24
11 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Group hug?

This sucks.

((((Hug)))) of course you feel awful. Do NOT feel guilty! This isn’t your fault!! Dementia is so painful under the best of circumstances, everyone is doing the best they can right now. 

So many in my Sib group feel the exact same way, the group homes are on quarantine and many are having tantrums and breakdowns because they don’t understand the “why” they just know something is different. I am thankful that my sister is downstairs and her routine hasn’t changed at all. (Small joys). 

My great Aunt has dementia right now and she wants to go out for her bday (she can still read the calendar and knows her bday is soon) but has to be told the restaurants are closed. I think I’ll send her some flowers since we cannot be together. 

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Group hug?

This sucks.

Can you ask them to evaluate her for depression? Would medication help? That’s so sad.  It’s not your fault, though.  My cousin, who I am responsible for, is in a Memory Care facility on hospice. She is in a semi-vegetative state, so I doubt she is aware of what’s going on.  

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Group hug?

This sucks.

I know how you feel.  I have not been able to see my mom since the beginning of February.  Her dementia has been progressing, and  she was just beginning to be a little more social at the assisted living home.  Then in early Feb. I came down with what I think was Corona--fever, cough, a little upper respiratory wheezing.  Because it was the time of year that the almonds pop, I also had a sinus infection.  I took the antibiotics for the infection, and I had no fever by the next day, and was feeling 90% by day 3.  My cough lasted about another week.  So I couldn't go see my mom.  Then we were all to stay home, and the assisted living home completely locked down.  Absolutely no one in or out.  We keep track of mom by phoning the workers, but have not seen or spoken to her for over 2 months. (She can't remember how to dial the phone, so she doesn't have one.  She will answer and start talking to the robo call tapes).  So, no news is good news for right now.

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Group hug?

This sucks.

Hugs to you!!

My mother-in-law is also in an assisted living facility, but her dementia has progressed to where she rarely manages to recognize anyone, much less carry on a conversation. Covid-19 has hit there as well, with at least 6 of the staff testing positive, as well as some residents, one of whom is my MIL's roommate. They have tested my MIL, but results won't be available for 4-5 days. So far she does not have any symptoms other than a slightly elevated temperature, which is actually not unusual for her. On the other hand, her oxygen levels are better than she hardly ever has. which either sounds positive, or like some sort of calm before a storm. She has had a couple of rough patches over the past few months which looked to be pretty final, but managed to rally. If she does have Covid-19, though, her chances are basically slim to none.

• Love 1

My heart goes out to all of you who have loved ones in facilities.  I am beyond grateful that my inlaws and mom are all healthy.  They are all in their mid-60s, but they are following the guidelines and doing well.  My grandmother-in-law is still trucking along, living by herself at 90.  I worry about her, but she's hanging in there.  Mr. Six has been working from home, save for Monday this week and a Friday a few weeks ago. He's created an office in our basement and is making it work.  Our Maine C*** has been his assistant, and after achieving her Professional Engineering license, she's now working on her MBA.  She lays in a box on his desk and makes herself known on every conference call he's had.  

I'm so glad to see everyone posting.  Even though the world is in this together, it's comforting to know we have a group of folks who care about each other.  And one bright side, tomorrow's Friday.  I think.

• Love 24
31 minutes ago, sixlets said:

And one bright side, tomorrow's Friday.  I think.

I think we could all use those day of the week underwear again at this point.

They never did include Sunday in the pack though...guess you were supposed to wear your fancy pants that day.🙃

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I think we could all use those day of the week underwear again at this point.

They never did include Sunday in the pack though...guess you were supposed to wear your fancy pants that day.🙃

I seem to remember a set of those that my mom had. which my dad got her (he could sometimes have a fairly raunchy sense of humor) probably back in the 70's,, which were labeled "Never on Sunday".

• LOL 12

Virtual hugs for all of you who have older relatives struggling through this! 😞

@SunnyBeBe I found my diary notes for the bronchitis ordeal. Feel free to skip this, everyone.

I'd written a bit more than I remembered, but I think I was paranoid and trying to document symptoms. But I was sick for about 3 weeks and then still had some residual issues for a week or two, but I was able to work at that point and run errands and whatnot.

It started with a very sudden sore throat and cough right before bed one Saturday night--and I remember that very well because as soon as it happened, I was like "Oh shit! This doesn't feel good at all." And by the next day, I had a really deep chest cough, a fever a touch over 100, and a lot of other discomforts. The coughing until I puked is what freaked me out enough to go to a doctor early the following week.

Got diagnosed with a bad cold and given prescription cough medicine and then from there just continued to deteriorate. By the following Saturday, the feeling like I was going to drown at night made me go back to the doctor, and I got the bronchitis diagnosis and more meds. Even with that, I was still pretty miserable for another week or so, though that was the week I was finally able to watch TV and read a little rather than spend the entire day hiding in my bed. I apparently at the time thought that coughing until I lost bladder control was on a day my cough was doing better?! 

I didn't remember all this, but apparently I also coughed until I had a nosebleed one day and I also coughed until my back hurt. I remember that in retrospect now, and that really sucked because the coughing made my back hurt even more, and it struck me as perversely funny, and any laughter made my back hurt too. Not sure what I managed to do to my back, but after I was feeling better and had stopped writing about lingering shortness of breath and wheezing, I was still bitching about my back hurting in my diary for a few days. 

And that concludes Zella's Bronchitis Chronicles. 😉 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13

I had to call a prescription in to the pharmacy for Husband today. I did it all on the phone - you know, "please say or enter the prescription number," all via phone, no speaking to anyone. I was fine until they asked when I wanted to pick it up. I went blank. I. Had. No. Idea. What. Day. It. Was. I had to be transferred to a Pharmacist. Just to tell him I wanted to pick up the prescription tomorrow. Because I had no idea what day it was.

• LOL 17
  • Love 5

A good friend that I have kept in touch with since high school (decades ago) called me today crying. (His ex wife of 5 years is dying in the hospital due to Covid.) He is somewhat ok about that, but he’s really having trouble helping his 35 year old daughter get through it. She’s inconsolable. I have told him to listen, let her talk, and just be available whenever she needs him. He took the ex’s dog because it would have broken his daughter’s lease. (I worry that she wore protection when she went into her mother’s place to get the animal, and also told him to use a new leash). Am I missing anything that he could do to help his child through this difficult time? I’m getting updates every day from him and he’s depressed. I want to be a good friend. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

A good friend that I have kept in touch with since high school (decades ago) called me today crying. (His ex wife of 5 years is dying in the hospital due to Covid.) He is somewhat ok about that, but he’s really having trouble helping his 35 year old daughter get through it. She’s inconsolable. I have told him to listen, let her talk, and just be available whenever she needs him. He took the ex’s dog because it would have broken his daughter’s lease. (I worry that she wore protection when she went into her mother’s place to get the animal, and also told him to use a new leash). Am I missing anything that he could do to help his child through this difficult time? I’m getting updates every day from him and he’s depressed. I want to be a good friend. 

Is hospice available for the covid -19 patients? They seem to be a big help for the family. Also, he might call his clergy person. 

• Useful 3