Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

That's good to know. The only problem I can think I may have is I would be watching it on my tablet and I read while I am " watching" T.V. and all my books are on the tablet. Thank you for your response.

@crazycatlady58, I always have tv on in the background when I’m on the computer. For one thing, I have tinnitus, which drives me crazy if I don’t have something else to hear. Secondly, I am so used to multitasking, it’s hard to just do one thing at a time. (Not good, I know.)

@galaxychaser and @Christina87, so glad to hear you are both ok. We are a special kind of family here, and it’s so good to keep in touch. Hugs to you both.

• Love 6
(edited)

@ChiCricket, sending hugs to you and I hope you got some rest after that strange and difficult day. 

I've been working at home, a temp project, and mostly I've been doing it at home since February so not much has changed in that sense. The people I work for/with are terrific but TBH the tasks for this project are tedious. Anyway, I checked with my supervisor yesterday and basically took a mental health break which was fine with her. 

I mentioned that my washing machine broke on Sunday and it's not worth repairing. I did a couple of loads of wash in the building laundry room but I hate leaving my condo and although the cleaning staff are supposed to be cleaning the touch areas of the machines daily, who knows what condition they're in by the time I get there? (I brought my own spray bottle of cleaner and cleaning cloths.) Another person came in after I got to the room, to move a load from washer to dryer. We kept our distance but it reminded me of the exposure risks. Also I don't think those washers do as good a job as my old dead front-loader did.

So, I called Home Depot, and talked to a guy in the appliance department. Bingo. They are doing delivery and setup and haul-away, observing protocols, etc. He recommended a stackable LG brand W/D set which is on sale. I looked into it online, liked it, and then went to the store (I was masked), found the guy, and did the deal. Delivery is set for next Tuesday. The total price for everything including tax, is $400 less than I'd expected to pay so that's good. The store had us lined up outside, waiting to be allowed to go in, and most customers were wearing masks. 

I like Eric Barker's writings. He has a new blog post, How To Be Resilient; 5 Secrets to Mental Toughness (Pandemic Edition), which I found informative and helpful. Sharing the link if anyone's interested. Teaser: how come Venice withstood the Black Death so much better than other Italian cities, and didn't battle the recurrences that literally plagued southern Europe afterwards? 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
22 hours ago, Barb23 said:

That door is beautiful.  What did she use?  Tissue paper? Washable paint? 

She painters taped off the sections and then they painted them with tempra paint because it will easily wash off when her husband gets sick of it. After she pulled the tape off she just hand did the black seams. The children painted the inside colors. It’s the same way the grocery stores (back in my day) painted their big windows with Halloween scenes. There were even contests to see which store did the best decorations. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Just passing on an idea for "necessary" workers who have to go out for work related tasks.  

My son's big boss has written a letter stating they are  necessary workers with a company that is allowed to be open under our governor's rules.  They can print it out and keep it in the car or just have it available on their phones in case they are out for work & get checked.  He also recommended they have one of their business cards with them too. There are approximately twenty workers & all are working at home but there have been times they have to pick up something at the office. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Just passing on an idea for "necessary" workers who have to go out for work related tasks.  

My son's big boss has written a letter stating they are  necessary workers with a company that is allowed to be open under our governor's rules.  They can print it out and keep it in the car or just have it available on their phones in case they are out for work & get checked.  He also recommended they have one of their business cards with them too. There are approximately twenty workers & all are working at home but there have been times they have to pick up something at the office. 

My sister's employer did the same thing.  She has to go in about once a week to keep the mfg lines running (they make biological pharma like chemo treatments, so keeping things on schedule is important).  She's got the letter designating her an essential worker and her ID badge clipped together by the door.  It isn't required (our state is very lax about any enforcement), but better safe than sorry they figure.  They are also requiring that all employees go to a drive through temperature check prior to entering any of the buildings each day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I attended a CLE webinar this morning on Calmness in the Storm. (Sponsored free by the Bar. Two thousand participated!) Lots of good tips on breathing, mindfulness, relaxation, etc.  And, helpful tools to help us cope. I think I need more than one hour though.  lol  

ChiCricket, I'm so sorry about your nephew.  That must have been very hard to get through.  It's nice they had it live streaming.  Most of the obits that I read lately are saying all plans are postponed.  I think it's difficult to get all the people needed even to do the service and live streaming.  I thought your SIL was very impressive. Medical professionals like him give me comfort.  As far as the doctors deciding who would get life support.  I have a lot of faith in doctors with things like that. I know that with my LO who has end stage dementia, who is DNR, I would not want taken to a hospital for treatment for the virus and put on a ventilator, but, there are some people who want all life extending measures no matter what. Even for people who are terminally ill, who are not going to survive long anyway, they want all measures taken....even if there is already severe brain damage and no chance of recovery.  I've seen it and it boggles the mind.  I feel for the doctors who had to make that choice.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

She painters taped off the sections and then they painted them with tempra paint because it will easily wash off when her husband gets sick of it. After she pulled the tape off she just hand did the black seams. The children painted the inside colors. It’s the same way the grocery stores (back in my day) painted their big windows with Halloween scenes. There were even contests to see which store did the best decorations. 

Your mention of the painted Halloween scenes on stores brings back a lot of memories!!  Our little city did that on the storefronts of the Main Street. Which wasn’t called Main Street!!

• Love 4

Mindthnkr—your door decoration is beautiful!

You mentioned that you used tempera paint to paint the door, because it was easier to remove.  If you mix the paint with a small amount of liquid dish detergent (maybe about 1 tbs to a cup of paint), it comes off even easier.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
On 4/6/2020 at 2:39 AM, Temperance said:

This makes me mad. Please report the hamburger place. Things are bad enough as it is. 

They just got temporarily closed down today. I had to take Mom to get her Coumadin level checked, and was wondering what the crowd was going to be like when I was driving past, but it was all shut down, and there was a van from the local news in the parking lot, so I figured they finally got in trouble...

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/coronavirus/harrys-place-in-colchester-temporarily-closed-for-violating-social-distancing/2252216/

It really was getting out of control. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Aw...my husband just came inside and told me, "I'm never going to complain about having to go to another "wedding" ever again!" 
   He calls any invite to ANY family thing a wedding. It has become an ongoing family joke.

I'll tell him, this Saturday, etc. is..... (a grandchild's birthday party, 1st communion, a cheerleading/swim/gymnastics/dance meet/recital/competition.)

He loudly exclaims,  "WHAT?! Another wedding?!" I'm not going! I'm planning on working on so and so that day!! (he's retired, and has nothing but time.) 🙄

PS..he always goes, and supports his grands 100%..and even though I have to drag him kicking and screaming to parties, once he's there, he has a great time. 😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9
(edited)

has anyone else here watched SGN (some good news) with John Krasinski?

I know there are some Hamilton fans here. they did an original cast of Hamilton Zoom thing for a 9yr old girl who missed seeing Hamilton on her bday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oilZ1hNZPRM

the Hamilton part starts around the 9min mark.

but if you are a fan of mary poppins returns watch before that

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 17

I have read that if you envision something happening, your brain feels like it really did happen, so, it can benefit you in some ways. I've been so outraged by those people who are disregarding stay at home orders, and violating social distance guidelines with flagrant disregard.....it's so disturbing.  I was trying to think of a way they could be punished.  Besides the fine, which they don't seem to care about.  I thought, if only they could spray them with skunk spray and they would have to live with a terrible odor of skunk for the next few days, it might help.  lol  The stinkier the better. lol  It makes me feel better if I envision them getting their stinky spray.  lol  

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

Y’all, I am reeeeeally wondering if I had the Coronavirus this fall. I was extremely sick, the sickest I’ve ever been by far! When this first started, my dad asked me if I thought I’d had it, and I said, “no, it was way too early!” But now the experts keep saying the start date could have been earlier and earlier...sooooo...I’m not ruling it out!

i got sick on a Friday, and missed a solid week of work. I could barely get out of bed, and had a sore throat, high fever, HORRIBLE cough (pulled back muscles and was afraid of breaking ribs), and had to get a special inhaler. I went back to work, and still felt terrible, but got worse near the end of the week. I went to urgent care that weekend (two weeks sick at this point), and they said it sounded like I had had the flu (no test) and had now developed a sinus infection and bronchitis. I am STILL coughing intermittently from the bronchitis (it is much better though), but that’s how serious it was. I was still wiped out from my original condition too, and missed one more day of work. Then, I bet I went three or four weeks feeling MISERABLE before I finally got to the point where I was like, “okay, I feel too sick to work, but it’s reasonable.” After that, I still spent another month, or month in a half feeling sick. I didn’t start feeling better until about Christmas!

Things that make you go hmmmm. It really does make you wonder! I felt weak, on top of teaching six new subjects (I had NO lesson plans for K-5 music, and specials are an hour at my school!). I was exhausted, but the illness took me from a 10 to a 5, energy wise. Then I caught everything else that came along, before finally getting strep about a month ago, a double ear infection, and a sinus infection all at once. I’m SOOOO grateful to be home now, and be able to recover. I’ve been getting to work out a lot more, and have lost some weight! I got a prescription for the phentermine, but haven’t tried it yet, since now I have the freedom to really do a great job counting calories and exercise a lot. It’s crazy how much easier it is to eat well when you’re not stressed! My lust for junk food and snacks has gone down to zero. 

so that’s where I am lol. I’ve had a good year, but I’m really glad for the opportunity to rest! I haven’t had a chance to really date or even see friends a lot because of how exhausting and busy this year has been! Next year will be way better, with a lot more lesson plan ideas / resources / knowledge in place, and (hopefully!) not getting massively sick!!!

I’ve missed talking to you guys a lot! I’m glad to have the opportunity to finally talk to you again! It’s been an exciting year, but harrrrrddddd. I feel like I have accomplished a lot, but this quarantine literally couldn’t have come at a better time. 

really excited about making an Easter feast for my roommate and myself this Sunday. 😃😃😃 it’s going to be sad to not spend the holiday with my family,  but we are definitely going to skype. 

love you guys!!! And also...I really wonder if I have already had the virus!

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Y’all, I am reeeeeally wondering if I had the Coronavirus this fall. I was extremely sick, the sickest I’ve ever been by far! When this first started, my dad asked me if I thought I’d had it, and I said, “no, it was way too early!” But now the experts keep saying the start date could have been earlier and earlier...sooooo...I’m not ruling it out!

i got sick on a Friday, and missed a solid week of work. I could barely get out of bed, and had a sore throat, high fever, HORRIBLE cough (pulled back muscles and was afraid of breaking ribs), and had to get a special inhaler. I went back to work, and still felt terrible, but got worse near the end of the week. I went to urgent care that weekend (two weeks sick at this point), and they said it sounded like I had had the flu (no test) and had now developed a sinus infection and bronchitis. I am STILL coughing intermittently from the bronchitis (it is much better though), but that’s how serious it was. I was still wiped out from my original condition too, and missed one more day of work. Then, I bet I went three or four weeks feeling MISERABLE before I finally got to the point where I was like, “okay, I feel too sick to work, but it’s reasonable.” After that, I still spent another month, or month in a half feeling sick. I didn’t start feeling better until about Christmas!

Things that make you go hmmmm. It really does make you wonder! I felt weak, on top of teaching six new subjects (I had NO lesson plans for K-5 music, and specials are an hour at my school!). I was exhausted, but the illness took me from a 10 to a 5, energy wise. Then I caught everything else that came along, before finally getting strep about a month ago, a double ear infection, and a sinus infection all at once. I’m SOOOO grateful to be home now, and be able to recover. I’ve been getting to work out a lot more, and have lost some weight! I got a prescription for the phentermine, but haven’t tried it yet, since now I have the freedom to really do a great job counting calories and exercise a lot. It’s crazy how much easier it is to eat well when you’re not stressed! My lust for junk food and snacks has gone down to zero. 

so that’s where I am lol. I’ve had a good year, but I’m really glad for the opportunity to rest! I haven’t had a chance to really date or even see friends a lot because of how exhausting and busy this year has been! Next year will be way better, with a lot more lesson plan ideas / resources / knowledge in place, and (hopefully!) not getting massively sick!!!

I’ve missed talking to you guys a lot! I’m glad to have the opportunity to finally talk to you again! It’s been an exciting year, but harrrrrddddd. I feel like I have accomplished a lot, but this quarantine literally couldn’t have come at a better time. 

really excited about making an Easter feast for my roommate and myself this Sunday. 😃😃😃 it’s going to be sad to not spend the holiday with my family,  but we are definitely going to skype. 

love you guys!!! And also...I really wonder if I have already had the virus!

I've read many posts from people that think they already had the virus. All of them got sick around around Dec/Jan before news about the coronavirus started spreading around the US. My fiance and I started feeling sick a few days after Christmas. It was the sickest I've ever been I was very weak, wheezing, and my cough so horrible that it made me throw up twice. It took about a month before I felt normal. My fiancee had it worse he lost about 15 lbs. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This is such a petty complaint during this time when there is so much going on for everyone. But this is a TV board...so...here goes....I really wish everyone doing pandemic updates could just do them when they're not during *my* daily TV shows..every.single.dang.time. 

I'm retired, but I just realized there's certain shows I watch really close to real time.

I DVR them to skip the commercials, but then when I go to watch them soon after,  they're been pre-empted almost EVERY day. Ugh. 

As I said..petty, but I'm so tired of it.

I'm not talking about REAL breaking news that can't wait to be told, to be clear.

Just me?😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 14
13 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I've read many posts from people that think they already had the virus. All of them got sick around around Dec/Jan before news about the coronavirus started spreading around the US. My fiance and I started feeling sick a few days after Christmas. It was the sickest I've ever been I was very weak, wheezing, and my cough so horrible that it made me throw up twice. It took about a month before I felt normal. My fiancee had it worse he lost about 15 lbs. 

Yes!!! Weirdly enough, I threw up twice from the coughing, too. It was horrible! Both times were in the middle of the night. Wow. It really makes me wonder for both of us! I have another friend who said she thinks she might have had it, because she had such trouble breathing. I have asthma, so I’m never shocked when I get that symptom, but for a lot of people, it’s pretty uncommon. 

in any event, I hope we did have it, so we at least can’t get it again!

• Love 10
(edited)

@Zella, I just stumbled on a tweet by accident that said not only is Asa Hutchinson not issuing a stay at home order for the state, he's also forbidding cities to issue their own edicts. This is awful. Can you confirm?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Zella, I just stumbled on a tweet by accident that said not only is Asa Hutchinson not issuing a stay at home order for the state, he's also forbidding cities to issue their own edicts. This is awful. Can you confirm?

I read an article that restaurants in AR, are free to be open for inside dining if they follow the 6' rule.

Edited by GeeGolly
(edited)

My understanding--which could be flawed--is not that he is forbidding it so much as they may not be in the position to do so without his authorization. 

He addressed the lack of a stay at home order last week by saying Arkansas is doing more than some of the states who have them. I have no clue if that is true. I find the whole thing just sort of bewildering because in many ways he has been quick to respond. 

One issue in my rural county is our largest employers are the local Walmart and food processing plants, so even with a stay at home order, most folks would be required to continue working.:(

2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I read an article that restaurants are free to be open for inside dining if they follow the 6' rule.

If they claimed that about Arkansas, that is absolutely not true! That has been banned for weeks in Arkansas. Restaurants can only do delivery or curbside service or drive through here.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

My understanding--which could be flawed--is not that he is forbidding it so much as they may not be in the position to do so without his authorization. 

He addressed the lack of a stay at home order last week by saying Arkansas is doing more than some of the states who have them. I have no clue if that is true. I find the whole thing just sort of bewildering because in many ways he has been quick to respond. 

One issue in my rural county is our largest employers are the local Walmart and food processing plants, so even with a stay at home order, most folks would be required to continue working.:(

That is absolutely not true! That has been banned for weeks in Arkansas. 

This is what I read:

Arkansas

Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson said at a news conference on March 16 that restaurants can remain open "on their own choosing and based upon market demand" as a press conference.

Hutchinson initially ordered schools to close on March 17 through March 27, thanks to a preplanned spring holiday. The closure was later extended to last through April 17.

Many businesses in Arkansas have closed of their own choice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This is what I read:

Arkansas

Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson said at a news conference on March 16 that restaurants can remain open "on their own choosing and based upon market demand" as a press conference.

Hutchinson initially ordered schools to close on March 17 through March 27, thanks to a preplanned spring holiday. The closure was later extended to last through April 17.

Many businesses in Arkansas have closed of their own choice.

That info is outdated. Restaurants closed on the 20th and school has been officially closed for the rest of the year. 

@GeeGolly read this. It is more up to date than whatever you are citing.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/mar/20/governor-orders-gyms-restaurants-bars-c/

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I thought it hadn't been determined whether people infected were now immune. But then again, I am only listening to local updates, so I might have missed something.

I hope one becomes immune. But I don’t think so.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, Zella said:

That info is outdated. Restaurants closed on the 20th and school has been officially closed for the rest of the year. 

@GeeGolly read this. It is more up to date than whatever you are citing.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/mar/20/governor-orders-gyms-restaurants-bars-c/

I wish NC would go ahead and close schools the rest of the year. Our principal is talking as if she assumes we won’t be back, but idk if that’s just her opinion, or if she knows something she can’t tell us. We’re already closed through may 15, and there’s talk that the stay home order will last through may. So obviously...I don’t think we’re going back. I wish they’d just call it already!

• Love 10

I believe my sister had the coronavirus in January. Previously healthy, she had a sudden onset of fever, difficulty breathing and body aches. After being seen at small local hospital ER, she was transferred to a larger hospital. Within a day, she was moved to ICU and later intubated and placed in isolation. Twice the family was told it was unlikely she would survive. After 3 weeks, she slowly improved and eventually was discharged to a rehab facility for physical therapy. She is home now. It was very frightening for everyone involved. My heart goes out to everyone with this illness and those caring for them.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Yes!!! Weirdly enough, I threw up twice from the coughing, too. It was horrible! Both times were in the middle of the night. Wow. It really makes me wonder for both of us! I have another friend who said she thinks she might have had it, because she had such trouble breathing. I have asthma, so I’m never shocked when I get that symptom, but for a lot of people, it’s pretty uncommon. 

in any event, I hope we did have it, so we at least can’t get it again!

Omg, reading these stories that are so much like mine!!! I got sick the last Friday in Feb. I had the most horrible cough of my life and actually pounded my chest daily to move the tightness. My ribs felt sore from coughing. I was so exhausted. At times, I really worried. I thought bronchitis. Didn’t feel like myself until the last Friday in March. But, I never had fever, though. I want an antibody test. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg, reading these stories that are so much like mine!!! I got sick the last Friday in Feb. I had the most horrible cough of my life and actually pounded my chest daily to move the tightness. My ribs felt sore from coughing. I was so exhausted. At times, I really worried. I thought bronchitis. Didn’t feel like myself until the last Friday in March. But, I never had fever, though. I want an antibody test. 

Let’s all go take one together! It was horrible. @whydoiwatch reminded me about the body aches, and yes, they were the worst ones ever! I usually get bad body aches when sick, but these were incredibly painful. I’m glad that at least people getting it now have time to recover (for the most part). It was terrible to go back to work after one week, and then work for so long when I was sick as a dog! I don’t think I spread it to anyone, because the fever was gone by that point, but it was still horrible. 

(edited)

I have a group of close online friends I made all over the country when we were all addicted to buying and selling  those (stupid) Beanie Babies. 🙄

Anyway, that's how I made a very good friend in Alabama ( who I've now actually met a few times in person.) She's the reason I know how rabid they are for college football there.

She posted this on her Facebook.🙃

20200408_194141.png

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3

My sister's a nurse in NJ. She says they are in need of baby monitors. Because the patients are in isolation they can't communicate with them to find out if they need anything.  If you have a baby monitor that you are no longer using go and find it in your attic or storage and wait to see if any local hospitals might need it. Right now NJ is at 47,437 corona cases and 1504 deaths. I realize that many of you are in rural areas, but it will eventually hit ya. They recommend 2 weeks worth of food, but I advise 4 weeks. Then go home and stay there. Also, NJ supermarkets are now requiring face coverings(or masks) if you want to go into the store. They're also limiting the amount of people who are allowed to shop although they probably should have done that 2 weeks ago. Grocery stores are only allowed 50% of their normal occupancy. Everybody stay healthy! Stay home. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I have a group of close online friends I made all over the country when we were all addicted to buying and selling  those (stupid) Beanie Babies. 🙄

Anyway, that's how I made a very good friend in Alabama ( who I've now actually met a few times in person.) She's the reason I know how rabid they are for college football there.

She posted this on her Facebook.🙃

20200408_194141.png

I've seen jokes on another forum I'm on that the best way to bring the South into compliance is to threaten to suspend all SEC action for the fall. I think as badly as Arkansas played last season, maybe they should threaten Arkansans with being forced to watch the Hogs play. 🤣

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

@Christina87 if you think you had it, you had it. Now they are saying it started in November. 
I was sick 4 times since August. I too think I had a mild form of it. 

My boss thinks she may have had it in November, also. She was so sick, with all of the symptoms they're listing for Covid 19. She is still having breathing issues and thinks her lungs may be damaged from being so sick.

@Christina87 and @galaxychaser, thank you both for checking in. I don't post every day but I do read every day, and I was concerned when I realized both of you weren't posting. 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, Nysha said:

My boss thinks she may have had it in November, also. She was so sick, with all of the symptoms they're listing for Covid 19. She is still having breathing issues and thinks her lungs may be damaged from being so sick.

@Christina87 and @galaxychaser, thank you both for checking in. I don't post every day but I do read every day, and I was concerned when I realized both of you weren't posting. 

Awwww I appreciate it so much! LOL I’ve been back one day and already gotten in trouble. I was on another board, and someone said they would kick a really disrespectful person out of their business. I commented that a lot of people get by with bad behavior because of fear of lawsuits, accusations of unequal access to things, etc., and if a person got kicked out, people could come back and say, “X group of people are treated unfairly at your establishment.” Then my comments were deleted and there was a message about not grouping the offending person in with other groups. I really didn’t feel like what I said was rude or discriminatory, and it kind of made me feel unwelcome back. LOL! Sometimes I will just say something very directly, coming from a place of wanting to have an intellectual discussion, and it gets taken out of context and assumed that I am being ignorant, when I’m trying to explain how some other people think. Then I said I apologized for coming across that way, and that got deleted. I hope everyone on that board doesn’t think I’m some horrible flaming bigot. Ahhhhh!!! I feel like the bad kid in class who just had my hand slapped with a ruler. I’ll just stick to you guys. Y’all are tolerant of a certain degree of speculating and commenting on society, good and bad. You also talk about societal issues and how they affect others while accepting all points of view. It just reinforced how much I love you guys!

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Let’s all go take one together! It was horrible. @whydoiwatch reminded me about the body aches, and yes, they were the worst ones ever! I usually get bad body aches when sick, but these were incredibly painful. I’m glad that at least people getting it now have time to recover (for the most part). It was terrible to go back to work after one week, and then work for so long when I was sick as a dog! I don’t think I spread it to anyone, because the fever was gone by that point, but it was still horrible. 

I was fortunate because I did nothing but rest and lounge for about a week. After that, I still would get so tired that I had to go lie down several times a day for a month. Felt sick, unwell and tired. If it wasn’t covid, then I’d never survive something stronger than what I did have.

• Love 5

I really hope that all of you who think you had the Corona virus really did. My husband had the exact same symptoms in early February. Hopefully testing at some point will prove if you all did have the virus or not. The only thing that makes me doubtful for my husband is I never got it, and we were with tons of family and friends just before his symptoms started and soon after, and none of us got it as far as we know. That seems strange for such a virulent disease. But I sure do hope he had it. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I really hope that all of you who think you had the Corona virus really did. My husband had the exact same symptoms in early February. Hopefully testing at some point will prove if you all did have the virus or not

I just saw this from NPR today though...are we even going to have access to tests?

"Some local officials are disappointed the federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites this Friday. In a few places those sites will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available."

I thought they were ramping up the testing? Does anyone here know anyone that was able to get tested? Even my relatives weren't, and they had someone in their family die from it! So why would they be closing testing sites!? I don't get it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/08/829955099/federal-support-for-coronavirus-testing-sites-end-as-peak-nears

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I just saw this from NPR today though...are we even going to have access to tests?

"Some local officials are disappointed the federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites this Friday. In a few places those sites will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available."

I thought they were ramping up the testing? Does anyone here know anyone that was able to get tested? Even my relatives weren't, and they had someone in their family die from it! So why would they be closing testing sites!? I don't get it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/08/829955099/federal-support-for-coronavirus-testing-sites-end-as-peak-nears

I know people who know people who have gotten tests, including one of my brother's coworkers, my grandma's pastor, and at least one patron at our library. The requirements are pretty tight down here already though due to the shortage of tests in general. 

• Useful 2

I know three people who got tested. One in a nursing home and one who works in the medical field. One tested positive and the other, fortunately did not, both from my state. The 3rd person, a friend of our relatives from NY, sadly passed away, she was in her late 50s.

My state has a lot of cases, I think we're 8th or 9th in the 10 worst hit states. After an initial early jump, the cases have been slower, yet still very steady.

My understanding from what I've read is, the most practical and safest way to return to 'normal' is to have folks do an antibody test rather than the diagnostic test. Folks who show antibodies would be the first to return to work.

I guess the antibody test is cheaper and quicker than the diagnostic one. Maybe that's why they're closing the pop-up testing sites?

My fear is with all the quickly changing, conflicting and confusing information, folks will start to feel complacent and take more risks, which in turn puts more of the communities at risk.

• Love 8
(edited)

I fear that closing testing sites is to keep reported numbers lower, which would please someone who thinks about his ratings and numbers only!  I agree that the antibodies test may prove more reliable numbers of COVID cases. It could also be more useful by allowing those who have had it to help those who haven't, either through blood donation or by going back to work. I read on Crooked Media this morning that tests of sewage system showed for example, that the numbers of COVID-19 positives in Massachusetts is likely much greater than testing shows. Our sh** will also tell the tale!

I had my Zoom book club meeting yesterday and it went well. It was nice for me, as the newest member, to see everyone's name with their faces. I'm terrible with names!  They are a smart bunch and I'm happy that I joined before we all began to shelter in place. After the meeting, I joined Libro, which allows me to support our local bookstore without actually having to re-fill my home with books. We downsized years ago and gave away most of our books. Anyway, our new book is A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purnell, which I'm listening to on Libro. I'm not sure I like getting books that way. It's so easy to fall asleep and lose my place or to realize that I haven't quite been paying proper attention. But I can always rewind!  

Peace and health to all Small Talkers today. We have survived another day and spring gives hope for the future! 

Edited by BetyBee
Must learn to proofread!
  • Love 19

@BetyBee, I had to use some accumulated Audible credits, and got A Woman of No Importance in January. I listened to it as I drove on a long road trip. I found it did require close attention but stuck with it all the way. It was a good book.

I decided I wanted to read the book if I could get it cheap, so I put the Kindle edition on my Amazon wish list. I check the wish list every day to see if anything has dropped in price. Well, that Kindle book has dropped to $3.99 so I bought it yesterday. I just looked, and it's still $3.99. Those price drops are quirky and often of very short duration. 

I'm stunned by all the shenanigans they are pulling with testing. I'm going to stop with that because I don't need to get all carried away here. 

Best wishes to everyone here.

• Love 14

To our fellow snarkers who might have had Covid-19 earlier - I wonder if other folks in contact with you got it or a version of it from you?  It is highly contagious and y’all were sick before social distancing.  Just a thought if you did indeed have it.

• Love 7
(edited)
37 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

To our fellow snarkers who might have had Covid-19 earlier - I wonder if other folks in contact with you got it or a version of it from you?  It is highly contagious and y’all were sick before social distancing.  Just a thought if you did indeed have it.

I thought about this, but when I had a fever, I just stayed in my room. My roommate was the only person anywhere near me, but she stayed away from my room. Since I got it over the weekend, I was never contagious at work either...I missed a week while feverish, and when I went back, I was miserable and sick, but without a fever. I’ve even wondered if a kid was possibly an a symptomatic carrier and passed it to me, since it seems to affect kids less. Just so many questions! But if I did have it, I’m glad I wasn’t around my parents, who are in their sixties. 

ETA: just remembered that another teacher was really sick around the same time I was, with a similar illness, but she transferred to another school soon after. I think I also possibly got it from her, OR she had some kind of cough, and then got it from me. I remember her coughing a little bit before I got sick, but then after I came back, she was extremely sick, and we both talked about how we were dying. Then she was gone, hopefully not passing it on at another school. I didn’t notice any kids sick at that time, but there were a lot of kids sick right before we closed! A lot of them had the flu (not sure whether tested or not...hopefully tested), but I swear, every class I had for the last two weeks had several children absent. However, my school has had no confirmed cases, though there was a rumor going around about a sixth-grade girl who seriously did miss like two weeks, so it makes you wonder. No matter what, it’s been a bad season for the flu and other sicknesses, so I’m glad everyone gets a chance to heal!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 5

Adding my son to the others who may have already possibly had Covid.  He started day after Christmas with most of the symptoms  except a bad cough.  He spent his holiday vacation in bed & he still felt extremely out of it when he finally made it back to work. He did have a bad headache through it all.  He tries to stay away from me& my husband when he's sick esp  me since I have a crappy immune system so we didn't catch it.  My home nurse actually brought it up to him on Monday. He doesn't think so but I think it may have been a mild case. 

My niece was either supposed to be in or be a guest at 5 weddings this year. One of the ones that she was to be a bridesmaid in last Saturday was rescheduled to August.  Unfortunately it's the same day & around the same time as one of the other weddings she is to be in so she had to drop out it. (The April now August one.) One of the other mother-of-the-brides was telling my sister it has been a nightmare trying to reschedule everything.  They've had to look for another DJ & hair/makeup person because the ones they had are already booked for the new date. 

Another example of people not social distancing:  Some of our county police force saluted the workers of one of our local hospitals for all their hard work by driving by the hospital with lights flashing & horns blowing the other day.  It was a nice gesture considering they too should be recognized.  It made the news & first thing I noticed were the crowds that formed on the sidewalk in front of the hospital who looked like they were standing right next to one another & definitely not close to 6 feet apart.  C'mon people, pay attention!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

One of the other mother-of-the-brides was telling my sister it has been a nightmare trying to reschedule everything.  They've had to look for another DJ & hair/makeup person because the ones they had are already booked for the new date. 

If I was getting married any time before sept/October I would just get married legally on the day I had planned (Or when the courts re-opened) and postpone things a year out to be sure guests had funds to attend and I could get the venues and things I wanted. 

• Love 11
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

If I was getting married any time before sept/October I would just get married legally on the day I had planned (Or when the courts re-opened) and postpone things a year out to be sure guests had funds to attend and I could get the venues and things I wanted. 

It would be a conundrum, for sure! I usually really wish I was getting married, but now I’m relieved I’m not this year. I also usually really wish I had kids, but I’m so thankful not to during this stay at home order, where everyone else is complaining about their kids driving them crazy, and I have peace! Finally seeing the silver lining. LOL!

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

For those of you who like ebooks and audiobooks and are active library users, check if your library has Libby. I don't read audiobooks or ebooks. But I know from working at my local library that we have a pretty nice selection on there, and I'm sure that would be true for many other areas too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, Zella said:

For those of you who like ebooks and audiobooks and are active library users, check if your library has Libby. I don't read audiobooks or ebooks. But I know from working at my local library that we have a pretty nice selection on there, and I'm sure that would be true for many other areas too.

My library uses a different platform, but we have been ramping up the electronic ordering since we've been closed.  I have shamelessly been using it.  I know I should be a good library worker and not checkout the new stuff, but I need something to listen to while I work by myself in an empty library.  

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes!  I really missed getting library books.  I read at least 500 pages a week, sometimes more.  I have had a Kindle for years, but I hated having to spend money for most ebooks.  So I finally checked into my library's ebook program.  So many great books on there.  (But I still miss holding actual books in my hands.)

• Love 7