Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Zella said:

Have any of the rest of you watched Tiger King? I'm about halfway through and not even spending part of my childhood in a trailer park surrounded by meth addicts has adequately prepared me for how fucked up it is. 

Oh yes.  I've posted over on the Tiger King thread.  It's WILD...pardon the pun.  lol 

• LOL 1
14 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Are Siegfried and Roy or Tippi Hedren involved? 

Not yet. 

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh yes.  I've posted over on the Tiger King thread.  It's WILD...pardon the pun.  lol 

I'm looking forward to wrapping up so I can. I keep pausing every few minutes to study the screen and verify what I think i see is what i am seeing. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Are Siegfried and Roy or Tippi Hedren involved? 

Nope, with the Tiger King crowd, mullets are mandatory and teeth are optional.  It almost seems like a parody, like people that messed up couldn't possibly exist; but it is all true.

• Love 8

Yeah, I really wondered if it was a film like Best In Show...remember that one?  It's set up that way.  But, the basics are true, as I found actual news stories about the main characters. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I really wondered if it was a film like Best In Show...remember that one?  It's set up that way.  But, the basics are true, as I found actual news stories about the main characters. 

I adore Best In Show. Tiger King is like the delusional meth addict version. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Nope, with the Tiger King crowd, mullets are mandatory and teeth are optional.  It almost seems like a parody, like people that messed up couldn't possibly exist; but it is all true.

To be honest, I'm pretty immune to noticing missing teeth, mullets, and shitty tattoos. LOL But the sheer cumulative effect is unsettling. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I was born in Oklahoma. I can tell you, they do.

• Love 4
On 4/2/2020 at 2:43 AM, GeeGolly said:

And while I get why the dad wouldn't let his kid come home, he sent a possible contagious child into multiple communities.

He refused to allow his irresponsible adult son to endanger his vulnerable family members. I'm sure there are motels in the father's town or he could have stayed in his car for 14 days. Everything that happened before and after his father refused to allow him in his home is on the Covidiot who ignored all the warnings for a fun time at the beach. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Not yet. 

I'm looking forward to wrapping up so I can. I keep pausing every few minutes to study the screen and verify what I think i see is what i am seeing. 

I also had to pause in order to process all the crazy.  Every time I though I had heard it all, the show dropped another bomb.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also had to pause in order to process all the crazy.  Every time I though I had heard it all, the show dropped another bomb.  

Even with spoilers, I'm still routinely shouting, "WTF" at my laptop because of stuff I hadn't heard and can't believe. 

• LOL 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Even with spoilers, I'm still routinely shouting, "WTF" at my laptop because of stuff I hadn't heard and can't believe. 

The moment when you find out that Joe found his campaign manager at the ammo counterbroke me too far GIF

Oh, I wanted to add. Carole Baskins definitely killed Don.

Edited by Ohiopirate02
Edited to add
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The moment when you find out that Joe found his campaign manager at the ammo counterbroke me too far GIF

Bahahaha I'm riveted by the employee who looks like Kurt Cobain. Like, did Kurt Cobain fake his death Elvis style and flee to Oklahoma?!

• Love 2

I've seen lots of people mentioning the Tiger King...Even my son sent me a Facebook message yesterday asking if I'd seen it, and how crazy it was. I have not had the ambition to check it out yet....it sounds rather emotionally exhausting. ho be honest. I can't do a lot of crazy in one fell swoop.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I've seen lots of people mentioning the Tiger King...Even my son sent me a Facebook message yesterday asking if I'd seen it, and how crazy it was. I have not had the ambition to check it out yet....it sounds rather emotionally exhausting. ho be honest. I can't do a lot of crazy in one fell swoop.

I watched all 7 episodes in one week. Lol

• Useful 3
17 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It's close to 7 hours, so not easy to do in one fell swoop.  I was riveted in the first 10 minutes,  but I am one step away from white trash.   The third episode is where it swerves into a true crime documentary.   I will say it goes to some very dark places, but I couldn't look away.  It made me glad I made the life choices I did.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Ok..I don't think I can watch animals being mistreated (I cried my heart out over a stingray my brother caught until he put it back in the ocean)..but I just saw this..maybe someone else would be interested?

https://www.upworthy.com/free-broadway-shows-andrew-lloyd-webber--youtube

If you're a fan of the stage and lamenting the lack of theater performances for the foreseeable future, here's some good news.

Famed Broadway musical writer Andrew Lloyd Webber shared a video announcing that Universal is launching a new YouTube channel dedicated to stage-to-screen musicals. The channel is called "The Shows Must Go On," and it will air a different show every Friday—but just for 48 hours.

This one is playing right now:

Next week, for Good Friday April 10, the channel will air Jesus Christ Superstar. The rest of the schedule will be announced at a later time

• Love 9

I'm watching "Cheer" on Netflix. I tried to watch "Tiger King" but the air of animal abuse made me too sick to continue watching. 

And the quarantine is getting to me. Tonight I dyed my eyebrows and eyelashes myself. Surprisingly, it's not terrible! I figured no one is going to see me in weeks (my city extended its shelter in place order today until May 20), so if my eyebrows turned out looking like I drew them on with a Sharpie, it wouldn't matter. But they actually look good.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm watching "Cheer" on Netflix. I tried to watch "Tiger King" but the air of animal abuse made me too sick to continue watching. 

Ok. I won’t be able to stomach animal abuse. Nope. Just can’t do that. It would be the final crack in my sensitive heart. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yeah, like when we found out Travis and John weren't really gay, they were just banging Joe for free drugs. 

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Ok..I don't think I can watch animals being mistreated (I cried my heart out over a stingray my brother caught until he put it back in the ocean)..but I just saw this..maybe someone else would be interested?

If you're a fan of the stage and lamenting the lack of theater performances for the foreseeable future, here's some good news.

Famed Broadway musical writer Andrew Lloyd Webber shared a video announcing that Universal is launching a new YouTube channel dedicated to stage-to-screen musicals. The channel is called "The Shows Must Go On," and it will air a different show every Friday—but just for 48 hours.

Next week, for Good Friday April 10, the channel will air Jesus Christ Superstar. The rest of the schedule will be announced at a later time

Yaaay.  I’m a huge Donny Osmond fan, so what a treat. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

And the quarantine is getting to me. Tonight I dyed my eyebrows and eyelashes myself. Surprisingly, it's not terrible! I figured no one is going to see me in weeks (my city extended its shelter in place order today until May 20), so if my eyebrows turned out looking like I drew them on with a Sharpie, it wouldn't matter. But they actually look good.

Cheer was amazing. My daughter and I loved it!  Hard to pace ourselves and not watch it all at once!  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I saw this (with Michael Damian and Kelly Rabke) on Broadway several times and it's the same the but it's so weird. The set looks kind of the same, but so weird. I don't know why it feels off to me but it does. It feels weirdly too bright, as in the lighting is waaaay too much. Next week is supposed to be Jesus Christ Superstar which...I still have my recording of the live version from NBC last year, but I may check it out and see how it is. (We had tickets to see JC Superstar Apr 4 and it was postponed until September. Except we probably won't be here in September. So bummed.)

12 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Thanks for letting us know. Jesus Christ Superstar is one of my favorites & I have seen many performances of it. Usually it's around Christmas time when the show hits our town and I always say this show needs to be seen at Easter. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Thanks for letting us know. Jesus Christ Superstar is one of my favorites & I have seen many performances of it. Usually it's around Christmas time when the show hits our town and I always say this show needs to be seen at Easter. 

I love Jesus Christ Super Star!  Another favorite of mine is Pippin

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And Joe's campaign manager/former Walmart employee, is by far the sanest person in the documentary.  

And, yes, Carole definitely offed her second hubby.  Don't think she fed him to the tigers, though. Tossing him out of a plane over the Gulf of Mexico sounds about right to me.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And, yes, Carole definitely offed her second hubby.  Don't think she fed him to the tigers, though. Tossing him out of a plane over the Gulf of Mexico sounds about right to me.

She'd obviously put a lot of thought into the logistics of it!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, like when we found out Travis and John weren't really gay, they were just banging Joe for free drugs. 

This didn’t surprise me so much. How many women have sex with men for drugs or survival? How many lesbian women marry men to be supported financially?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 4/3/2020 at 8:45 PM, ChiCricket said:

Thank you so much for this!! I took my family to see this with Donny Osmond and am looking forward to reliving it!

• Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

Thank you so much for this!! I took my family to see this with Donny Osmond and am looking forward to reliving it!

I went all the way to Chicago to see Donny in this with my sisters.  Just our luck, he had the sniffles or something and the understudy played Joseph.  Still, an excellent, really fun show.

NBC is going to re-air their version of Jesus Christ Superstar with John Legend on Easter.  I've seen JCS live at least half a dozen times including at least once with Ted Neeley and the late great Carl Anderson playing the roles they played in the movie.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

During these crazy days I have had some bizarre thoughts....so, with these shelter at home orders...how are people carrying on with their affairs?  Lol

Phone/video sex. Us single people have deleted our dating apps in sadness. It’s an unfortunate sacrifice but one I make for the greater good of my community. 🤣

• LOL 14

I haven't left the house in 3 weeks. I was going for nearby walks, but I stopped when my cough got bad. It's getting better now. I've been taking my temp every morning for all 3 weeks and it's been normal except for two days when it spiked to 100, when it was clear that I had strep. I took my z-pack faithfully and that cleared up right away, but the cough (which I had before the stay at home order) continues. It's a lot better now. I don't wake up at night anymore. I've read the stories of people who have had COVID-19 and I don't think I've had it yet. Or if I did, it was mild in comparison to what others who have survived it, have gone through. I'm wondering what the real world is like now.

My daughter pointed out that I couldn't drive to see my mother (from the sidewalk) without having to pee somewhere. I hadn't thought of that! I actually have a pee standing up device that I bought for camping, but that seems ridiculous! But then, life is ridiculous now. I believe I'll stick to phone calls. There is no need to take risks at this time. Every day I watch Gov. Pritzker (IL - my state) and Gov. Cuomo's daily briefings. They give me a bit of hope about how sensible, caring people are handling this crisis. I don't watch you know who's briefings, but from what I read, they are astonishing.  I come to the Prayer Closet every day to see how all of you are doing. I want that curve flattened more than anything in the world. Life will never be the same, but it may one day be more sane. Oh, and yesterday I zoomed with my granddaughter. She is a joy! (Although I'm hearing bad things about zoom. Why can't we have nice things?!)  Wishing peace and good health to all Small Talkers.

• Love 22

Good luck in escaping your 24/7 companion, ChiCricket! We've been married 42+ years and don't often argue, but this togetherness is getting on both of our nerves here!  It ain't easy!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Phone/video sex. Us single people have deleted our dating apps in sadness. It’s an unfortunate sacrifice but one I make for the greater good of my community. 🤣

Not going to lie, I was tempted to download Tinder to see which idiots in my complex were still looking for hook ups. That way I could figure out which laundry room to go to and which one to avoid. I have a vacuum with a reusable filter and I normally wash it in the huge laundry room sink. I'm dreading doing that today.

I'm going to start on a binge re-watch of the Golden Girls. After that, the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Tiger King when I get time. I am tired of watching the over the air channels and the news. I will probably watch the series finale of Modern Family.

I normally watch a lot of the late night shows. I was a fan of Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report and did start to enjoy some of his stuff on The Late Show (to the point I've been to a live taping). But it is just uncomfortable to watch. Someone told me Fallon is worse and I just refuse to acknowledge that Jimmy Fallon exists. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

I have a lot of friends who were having marital issues prior to this. Some think they've sorted it out. I would be very surprised if the exact same issues don't arise again after being confined together. Very surprised. 

• Love 9

We've all been hearing about wearing face masks when out in public, not so much to protect ourselves as to prevent spreading the virus to others since it seems there are a significant amount of people who are asymptomatic but infectious.  I started making some masks, since I like to sew (one of the things I like about surgery); but it is, quite frankly, boring.

The CDC website has instructions on how to make no-sew masks that are simple to do.  All you need is a bandanna (or similar sized fabric), a coffee filter and 2 rubber band or hair elastics.  Easy, peasy.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

• Useful 9
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

But it is just uncomfortable to watch. Someone told me Fallon is worse and I just refuse to acknowledge that Jimmy Fallon exists. 

I am baffled by how Jimmy Fallon has a show and viewers. I've tried to watch select interviews with people I really like--people who are always at least an interesting interview--and I've never been able to finish them because he is so annoying. I even physically recoil every time I rewatch Band of Brothers, and he pops up for an anachronistic minute. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

I am baffled by how Jimmy Fallon has a show and viewers. I've tried to watch select interviews with people I really like--people who are always at least an interesting interview--and I've never been able to finish them because he is so annoying. I even physically recoil every time I rewatch Band of Brothers, and he pops up for an anachronistic minute. 

hE iS jUsT sO qUiRkY aNd FuN!!!! 

(That and Lorne Michaels had a huge hand in getting him a show...)

He adapted the Ellen format of doing games with celebrities in-between interviews and that gets people watching and clicks. Ellen is a far superior interviewer. I tried watching it being at home and she's deliberately mean at times though so yeah. That stopped.

The Roots deserve better than being the band for Jimmy Fallon. Justice for The Roots!!!

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

hE iS jUsT sO qUiRkY aNd FuN!!!! 

(That and Lorne Michaels had a huge hand in getting him a show...)

He adapted the Ellen format of doing games with celebrities in-between interviews and that gets people watching and clicks. Ellen is a far superior interviewer. I tried watching it being at home and she's deliberately mean at times.

The Roots deserve better than being the band for Jimmy Fallon. Justice for The Roots!!!

I don't have the intestinal fortitude to watch his games. LOL The way he interrupts guests when he has NOTHING interesting to say just floors me. 

In one of the interviews I did halfway watch, Roger Waters was giving him the evil eye the whole time, and though I know Roger is an absolute asshole (I mean, I love his work, but dude is a certified asshole), that gave me life. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

The over the top fake laughter makes the interviews unwatchable. It isn't that funny. Knock it off.

The problem is now late night shows are being designed to be small snippets on YouTube. They aren't meant to be watched in full context of the show. Which to be fair I should be sleeping at that time anyway. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The over the top fake laughter makes the interviews unwatchable. It isn't that funny. Knock it off.

The problem is now late night shows are being designed to be small snippets on YouTube. They aren't meant to be watched in full context of the show. Which to be fair I should be sleeping at that time anyway. 

YES! He might be a nervous giggler--I laugh like an idiot when I am nervous too--but oh my God, is it irritating to watch unfold during an interview. 

• Love 2