Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Honeycocoa

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

One is a friend another is a coworker.

One is a friend another is a coworker 

I’m sorry.  My deepest condolences.

Could your friend and the coworker be joking? I mean if the are they need to work on their sense of humour but they may just think they are funny. Its your hair their thoughts are not important.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

beckie, my deepest condolences on the loss of your dad. I wish you and your family peace and comfort in the coming days. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know about stand alone Air Fryers, but I have a Ninja Foodi that does it along with a bunch of other stuff and it's pretty awesome.

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, beckie said:

My dad passed away today. Apparently a bunch of things happened all at the same time. His kidneys started shutting down again, he had sepsis, and he coded three times.

I’m so very sorry for the loss of your father. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, beckie said:

My dad passed away today. Apparently a bunch of things happened all at the same time. His kidneys started shutting down again, he had sepsis, and he coded three times.

I’m so sorry for your loss. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

My mom passed away this week. I spent 5 days in the hospital with her, the first two thinking she was going to be released with a more powerful oxygen unit. Unfortunately, she's had pneumonia three times since September and her lungs were shredded. She just got worse and worse. She went from laughing and joking Wednesday morning to completely unresponsive that evening and died Thursday night. 

This, plus the trial for my sister's killer is in a few weeks. Nothing seems real right now.

  • Sad 49

Share this post


Link to post

@Nysha, that's too much for anyone to have to endure. Sending hugs. Hoping there is justice for your sister. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I keep being called sir. And I’m wearing women clothes and a hat.  I’m so upset. Are people blind?

My real name is somewhat unusual and I've gotten mail addressed to me with Mr.....

@Nysha sorry to hear about your mom. You have a lot on your plate right now. Hugs!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

My mom passed away this week. I spent 5 days in the hospital with her, the first two thinking she was going to be released with a more powerful oxygen unit. Unfortunately, she's had pneumonia three times since September and her lungs were shredded. She just got worse and worse. She went from laughing and joking Wednesday morning to completely unresponsive that evening and died Thursday night. 

This, plus the trial for my sister's killer is in a few weeks. Nothing seems real right now.

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your Mom is at peace now with your sister.  My prayers are with you and your family as you go through this.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Oh wow Nysha, you really have had a lot going on - I'm so sorry, and my condolences to you and your family as well.     


  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Could your friend and the coworker be joking? I mean if the are they need to work on their sense of humour but they may just think they are funny. Its your hair their thoughts are not important.

No they were both serious. 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

@beckie and @Nysha

My sympathies to you both during this time and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

Fingers crossed Nysha that there is justice for your sister. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, beckie said:

My dad passed away today. Apparently a bunch of things happened all at the same time. His kidneys started shutting down again, he had sepsis, and he coded three times.

I am so sorry

15 hours ago, Nysha said:

My mom passed away this week. I spent 5 days in the hospital with her, the first two thinking she was going to be released with a more powerful oxygen unit. Unfortunately, she's had pneumonia three times since September and her lungs were shredded. She just got worse and worse. She went from laughing and joking Wednesday morning to completely unresponsive that evening and died Thursday night. 

This, plus the trial for my sister's killer is in a few weeks. Nothing seems real right now.

Oh man, I am so sorry

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, beckie said:

My dad passed away today. Apparently a bunch of things happened all at the same time. His kidneys started shutting down again, he had sepsis, and he coded three times.

I am so sorry. I lost my dad in late 2018 and my mom in late 2019. 

I have two good friends who are married to each other, the mother of one passed away last week and the father of the other passed away the next day. I do wonder if its this time of year right around the holidays. Maybe souls feel its okay to go? 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I am so sorry. I lost my dad in late 2018 and my mom in late 2019. 

I have two good friends who are married to each other, the mother of one passed away last week and the father of the other passed away the next day. I do wonder if its this time of year right around the holidays. Maybe souls feel its okay to go? 

Now you have me wondering if that's why my grandmother and great-grandfather both passed away in November but different years. They felt it was okay to go because of the holidays coming up.

Its weird sometimes the timing. My mom's family has weirdly always died on when it was an odd year especially when it ends in a 9. Every single time except one which made us think maybe it was over. Nope, my uncle died exactly ten years later on a 9. Why? Why the odds. While my dad's family its always the evens. The first anniversary of my mother's first stroke I was scared the days as that day came near and that whole day. When nothing happened I realized I was being stupid. It was just a date. It didn't mean nothing. So I didn't even bother to worry about the second anniversary of her first stroke. Yep, that was the day my mother died.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post

36 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Now you have me wondering if that's why my grandmother and great-grandfather both passed away in November but different years. They felt it was okay to go because of the holidays coming up.

Its weird sometimes the timing. My mom's family has weirdly always died on when it was an odd year especially when it ends in a 9. Every single time except one which made us think maybe it was over. Nope, my uncle died exactly ten years later on a 9. Why? Why the odds. While my dad's family its always the evens. The first anniversary of my mother's first stroke I was scared the days as that day came near and that whole day. When nothing happened I realized I was being stupid. It was just a date. It didn't mean nothing. So I didn't even bother to worry about the second anniversary of her first stroke. Yep, that was the day my mother died.

It can be odd with timing. My uncle, great-aunt, and great-grandmother all died on a February 1 in different years. 

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 4

Share this post


Link to post

@beckie Sorry for your loss. 

@Nysha  Oh I'm so sorry for your loss and the stress of this trial. Hopefully you can take care of yourself as much as possible. 

I wish you both strength and support in the coming weeks and months, etc. 

I also want justice for your sister.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

@beckie and @Nysha, I wish I had better words but I'm so sorry for your losses and sending good thoughts to you and your families. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

nysha, I am so sorry for your loss.  You will be in my thoughts as well.  I wish you nothing but peace & justice in the coming days and weeks.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

@kokapetl wrote:

"I looked up Jed!2020’s address from the filings. His street has like 12 house, but the house numbers are like mid to high 2000s. Why not 1, then 2, and so on? I know the house numbers are based on the distance from some geographical point or street, but what’s the advantage?"

 

The numbers start at a central point in the region,  usually at a city center. And each block gets a new set of numbers, so there's generally a 100 block with a 101 and 102 house and so on, then next a 200 block, etc. So you can make a very good estimate of where something's going to be with respect to the town layout as a whole. 

That's actually a very big advantage in finding your way around, in my experience, or at least it was back when people actually understood directions and maps and could find their way around using their brains and without just staring into a cellphone. And that was the idea -- to make it easier to navigate using just addresses and common sense.

Here in DC, for example, besides the city-center-out numbering, most of the named (rather than numbered) streets also go in alphabetical order, again from the city center, with the closest ones just being alphabet letters, then with two-syllable words, then three-syllable words. With that scheme, I can often figure out almost exactly where something is and how to get to it just from knowing the address, without even checking a map, all over the city, even in places I'm not familiar with. 

 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 5
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I am so sorry. I lost my dad in late 2018 and my mom in late 2019. 

I have two good friends who are married to each other, the mother of one passed away last week and the father of the other passed away the next day. I do wonder if its this time of year right around the holidays. Maybe souls feel its okay to go? 

My MIL used to be on the committee that handled the post-funeral luncheons at her church for years.  They noticed there was an increase of deaths after the holidays.  Some may think it's just coincidence or it just happens this way but I'm on the side that believes it has to do with the person wanting to make it through the holidays & feels it's OK to go after.   Who knows ? 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

@kokapetl wrote:

"I looked up Jed!2020’s address from the filings. His street has like 12 house, but the house numbers are like mid to high 2000s. Why not 1, then 2, and so on? I know the house numbers are based on the distance from some geographical point or street, but what’s the advantage?"

 

The numbers start at a central point in the region,  usually at a city center. And each block gets a new set of numbers, so there's generally a 100 block with a 101 and 102 house and so on, then next a 200 block, etc. So you can make a very good estimate of where something's going to be with respect to the town layout as a whole. 

That's actually a very big advantage in finding your way around, in my experience, or at least it was back when people actually understood directions and maps and could find their way around using their brains and without just staring into a cellphone. And that was the idea -- to make it easier to navigate using just addresses and common sense.

Here in DC, for example, besides the city-center-out numbering, most of the named (rather than numbered) streets also go in alphabetical order, again from the city center, with the closest ones just being alphabet letters, then with two-syllable words, then three-syllable words. With that scheme, I can often figure out almost exactly where something is and how to get to it just from knowing the address, without even checking a map, all over the city, even in places I'm not familiar with. 

 

I can see how it works in Washington, but not in Springdale. They don’t number by blocks or anything, it’s based on how far north/south or east/west of a certain road or county border or something, and most of the residential roads are short and cul-de-sacs, and inside 20/30/40 acre subdivisions that don't link up with neighboring subdivisions, and all those subdivisions are developed in a patchwork manner. I just find it weird that cul-de-sacs with ten houses can have house numbers like 6590. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

I can see how it works in Washington, but not in Springdale. They don’t number by blocks or anything, it’s based on how far north/south or east/west of a certain road or county border or something, and most of the residential roads are short and cul-de-sacs, and inside 20/30/40 acre subdivisions that don't link up with neighboring subdivisions, and all those subdivisions are developed in a patchwork manner. I just find it weird that cul-de-sacs with ten houses can have house numbers like 6590. 

Yeah, the town I lived in in Ohio was like this. The 6590 still does tell you the distance from some central point or, sometimes, a central road from which all the east-west counting begins (with another central road being where the north-south counting begins)....

The trick is, of course, that in vast rural-suburban sprawls, people today are less likely to know where the central point -- or main-road-from-which-the-counting-begins -- is......Or even to realize that this kind of counting goes on. .... As far as I know, in one way or another central points or central roads (or in some cases both) is pretty much the norm across the U.S. 

In my home town, older people were very savvy with these numbers because they knew where the central points/central roads were long before there started to be house numbers rising up into the 121,000s! 

 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

That doesn't work where I live.  I have a three digit house number, but our street turns off from two streets with four digit numbers.  Plus the numbers begin with 101 and we are not near any central point.  They seem rather random here.  

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Good news! My conselor is okay! It turns out there was a family emergency and she was with an older relative in the hospital. I probably worried too much, but I'm a worrier. Also the secretary didn't know where she was and she didn't call or leave a message. Usually she's very conscientious about that. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Beckie and Nysha, I just read the news and am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine how painful that must be.  I'll send prayers up for you and your families.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

All this talk about house numbers and the local logic or lack thereof brings me back to when the house number of my parent's house was changed.  The house numbers on our road used to make sense and ran in sequential order with odd numbers on the left, even numbers on the right.  Then the county redid the numbers to apparently make us compliant with county emergency services.  We went from being 1319 with 1317 on our right and 1321 on our left to a new house number 3322 with 3318 on the right and 3330 on our left.  Why the numbers are not in order anymore is beyond us.  We still get mail with the old house number delivered almost 20 years later.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

fun fact: the book i am almost finished reading (the polygamists daughter) mentions one of the children of ervil labaron defecting from the flds (or whatever version of flds he was)  and joining forces with.....bill gothard. it mentions the convention thingy they do and the wisdom booklets. its just a paragraph in the book but i found it interesting.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 8

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, zoomama said:

un fact: the book i am almost finished reading (the polygamists daughter) mentions one of the children of ervil labaron defecting from the flds (or whatever version of flds he was)  and joining forces with.....bill gothard. it mentions the convention thingy they do and the wisdom booklets. its just a paragraph in the book but i found it interesting.

Wow, talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

In my small town, the street numbers tell how far down the street your house is. This helps the fire department/police department get quickly to any address. My house numbered 335 is about 5/8 of a mile from the beginning of the street, with 305 on my right and 350 on my left.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Once you get out of the flatlands of my city, where numbers make sense, the numbering is all over the place. I live at 775. There are no other streets around here with 700 numbers. Most of them are short streets, 0-200. My street starts at 750 and goes to about 1000. We also straddle another town, but their numbering doesn't make sense, either. Go figure.

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size