Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I GOT OFFERED THE JOB!!!!!! I just went to the charter school interview, and they offered it on the spot! I am sooooo excited!!! The private school said they'd let me know Monday, and the charter school was understanding about that. If I get both, it will really be a tough decision, because I really like them both! Either way, I have a job!!! I am so elated right now, and relieved! I'll get to teach music every day, doing what I love!

Way to go, girlfriend!!! That is awesome news! High five!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I GOT OFFERED THE JOB!!!!!! I just went to the charter school interview, and they offered it on the spot! I am sooooo excited!!! The private school said they'd let me know Monday, and the charter school was understanding about that. If I get both, it will really be a tough decision, because I really like them both! Either way, I have a job!!! I am so elated right now, and relieved! I'll get to teach music every day, doing what I love!

Yay that's awesome! 🙂 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Is the charter school still a public school?  If so, I'm guessing it has better pay and benefits than the private school.  And probably union so would your years at your last public school teaching job count with this charter school union?  Something to consider so you don't have to start over towards your retirement.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Great news, very happy for you. Good luck 👍🏻 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, louannems said:

Is the charter school still a public school?  If so, I'm guessing it has better pay and benefits than the private school.  And probably union so would your years at your last public school teaching job count with this charter school union?  Something to consider so you don't have to start over towards your retirement.

Unfortunately I believe Christina lives in the same state where I do, and there is no union for teachers.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, from what I've heard, NC treats their teachers like crap.

They do.  I know a lot of teachers and I admire their commitment.  My little sister used to be an elementary school teacher,  but the money was not worth the hassle.   She is now a stay at home mom. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Christina87 said:

excited will ferrell GIF

This is amazing. 

• Love 7

Yep, no union here! The charter school pays more, and they have a 401K instead of the state retirement. At least I would still be saving, and I'm allowed to get the state retirement I have already accrued whenever I want! Even if I worked in another business for 20 years, I could get whatever I have saved. And sadly, no unions here. Teachers are not appreciated, sadly! I worry a little because charter schools can let you go for any reason, but public school teachers basically have no protection here anymore, either. They have to document that they took all the steps in public school, but we all know that can be BS. And private school pay is lower than both, but they seem more loyal. Then again, kids pay a lot to go there, so standards are high! I don't mind high standards though; just unrealistic ones, so thank god my awful principal is in ther rear view mirror!

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Yep, no union here! The charter school pays more, and they have a 401K instead of the state retirement. At least I would still be saving, and I'm allowed to get the state retirement I have already accrued whenever I want! Even if I worked in another business for 20 years, I could get whatever I have saved. And sadly, no unions here. Teachers are not appreciated, sadly! I worry a little because charter schools can let you go for any reason, but public school teachers basically have no protection here anymore, either. They have to document that they took all the steps in public school, but we all know that can be BS. And private school pay is lower than both, but they seem more loyal. Then again, kids pay a lot to go there, so standards are high! I don't mind high standards though; just unrealistic ones, so thank god my awful principal is in ther rear view mirror!

If you are happy, then I am happy. My daughter has worked in th N.C. School system for almost 10 years. No monetary rewards, but the kids and what she can achieve make all of the difference. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

If you are happy, then I am happy. My daughter has worked in th N.C. School system for almost 10 years. No monetary rewards, but the kids and what she can achieve make all of the difference. 

Absolutely!!! And in a relatively low cost of living state, what we make goes pretty far. I have never had to worry about buying necessities, and I've been able to buy most of what I want. I am lucky that I don't have student loans, but I have been comfortable on my income. It will be such a relief to have money coming in again!

• Love 15
10 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I am so happy for you, Christina! And I’m happy for the children who will have such a dedicated teacher! Good luck with your win-win decision.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

No one can hear/understand my name when I order food. So now I say my name is Jennifer.

Oh mood. I use Alice as my Starbucks Name. The last time I tried to use my actual (not english but not impossible to pronounce) name, she forgot all of the vowels. I was standing right at the counter, or i wouldnt have gotten jt. 

• Love 2

@Christina87, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Better 2 choices than none at all! I'm so happy for you, especially after all you went through with the crappy principal at your last job.

@DragonFaerie, I love that hair color! Last summer I used Splat Midnight Indigo in May, swam 3-5 days a week for 3 months, and still had blue shades until October. I did bleach my dark brown hair first, but every week I had a new shade of blue which was pretty awesome.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Oh mood. I use Alice as my Starbucks Name. The last time I tried to use my actual (not english but not impossible to pronounce) name, she forgot all of the vowels. I was standing right at the counter, or i wouldnt have gotten jt. 

I posted a while ago that my real name is Alice, not Barb as in my screen name. (& never realized it would start the discussion about Alices that it did.)  Your screen name has always jumped out at me with the Alice at the end.  If you don't mind me asking, is there a special meaning to the word(s) before it? I understand if you don't want to say. 

• Love 3
On 8/1/2019 at 9:40 PM, Christina87 said:

Absolutely!!! And in a relatively low cost of living state, what we make goes pretty far. I have never had to worry about buying necessities, and I've been able to buy most of what I want. I am lucky that I don't have student loans, but I have been comfortable on my income. It will be such a relief to have money coming in again!

Congratulations!

Life is just busy here. I'm still trying to figure things out. You think as a kid you'd have it all sorted out by the time you're an adult. Nope. My landlord is driving me crazy with constant renovations. I feel like I'm living in a full state of disarray at all times.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I posted a while ago that my real name is Alice, not Barb as in my screen name. (& never realized it would start the discussion about Alices that it did.)  Your screen name has always jumped out at me with the Alice at the end.  If you don't mind me asking, is there a special meaning to the word(s) before it? I understand if you don't want to say. 

Ahah no problem, Alice! It’s allons-y, french for lets go. Its a doctor who reference, iirc, the 10th doctor said it a lot, and its catchy! Allons-y! (Also i’m Canadian, but cant speak a lick of French, so make of that what you will)

• Love 11

Congratulations! You definitely made the right decision!

On the other end of the spectrum, I have just been informed that I've been laid off. The district is going to go with student-only tutors. That pretty much wipes out the entire Writing Center, which was mostly college graduates with a couple of students. That department is really going to suffer as there are a few courses that go beyond English 1A, but only required for a select few to transfer. Most student tutors we've had never had to take these classes and had trouble helping students with them.

Good luck with them, Peralta. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

Well, the grands came this morning on the red eye from the PNW.  All went very well getting them, and coming back home where we all took 4 hour naps.  They are 19 year old boy, 16 year old girl, and 11 year old boy. Great kids.  Lots of fun.   Parents are first born son and wife.  Second born son and husband came over and we all made dinner, ate it, and cleaned up.  I had a lot of help.  I am exhausted.  We are 7 normal people with no assigned gender roles.  I can't begin to imagine how those mega families think of, prepare, serve and clean up after so many people for several meals a day every day.  Just thinking of things is overwhelming.  I used to take care of my family, mostly me, Mr. lookeyloo and the two boys. Maybe because I was younger.   Maybe I can see why the later Duggars have fallen into grazing.  It is a lot of work, and maybe the parents don't have the energy to drill sergeant the family into submission.  And Jana doesn't care much either.  She probably makes herself her little Weight Watcher meal and watches the howlers and lost girls eat chips.  We really don't know what the Bateses do when not on the Teevee - who knows.  Maybe it is the same.  And we know the Rodriquii don't seem to allow the children to each much at all.  Anyway, I'm wiped!!!!

• Love 13

Oh my, life is really a roller coaster isn’t it?

@Christina87, so happy for you! Can’t wait to hear about your new program and what you are doing with the kids.

@Sew Sumi, I really hope this door closing means something really good is coming. I’ve had that happen several times in my life when I really thought it was the worst thing ever, but turned   out just the opposite. Fingers crossed for you!

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Yes!!!!! It is Monday! I am taking the charter school job! It's the one I feel more passionate about, and I love the idea of 1) getting elementary experience and 2) starting a chorus from scratch! I can make the program what I want. Also, the private school said they'd let me hear by today, and I hadn't heard from them, so I sent an email explaining my situation, and it made them super mad! They called back, with an attitude, and said, "we didn't know you were applying for other jobs!" I mean...wouldn't you think that was a good possibility? Plus the salary was SUPER low...way lower than charter or public, and at the very bottom of the range they quoted. Charter is the highest! Anyway, I did get both jobs, which I'm really proud of! I do wonder if I was their second choice, though, since they let me know so late. That would explain why they were so upset! I wouldn't want to work for anyone with that attitude, and the charter school has been extremely welcoming the whole time! I know I made the right choice!

thanks SO much for the good vibes along the way. You guys rock!

Sounds like you made the right decision! I can't help but crack up about the private school getting mad at you for having other job offers. I suspect with that attitude, they're never going to keep teachers for very long. When is your first day? 🙂 

4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Congratulations! You definitely made the right decision!

On the other end of the spectrum, I have just been informed that I've been laid off. The district is going to go with student-only tutors. That pretty much wipes out the entire Writing Center, which was mostly college graduates with a couple of students. That department is really going to suffer as there are a few courses that go beyond English 1A, but only required for a select few to transfer. Most student tutors we've had never had to take these classes and had trouble helping students with them.

Good luck with them, Peralta. 

I'm so sorry, Sew Sumi! 😞

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Zella said:

Sounds like you made the right decision! I can't help but crack up about the private school getting mad at you for having other job offers. I suspect with that attitude, they're never going to keep teachers for very long. When is your first day? 🙂 

I'm so sorry, Sew Sumi! 😞

Monday the 12th! I am soooooo excited to start in a week! Usually nobody wants to go back on the first day, but I'm really pumped about going to orientation and finding out everything I can about the school! It's a dream come true! I was so excited to tell my parents, as well as several of my friends today! And I am really excited to be able to pay rent to my friend. She has been so kind letting me live here, and I can finally contribute! This is going to be a wonderful chapter of a new life! And you are soooo right about the private school. Apparently they have gone through a lot of music teachers. Wonder why? Lol. 

@Sew Sumi I am so sorry!!! I have definitely been there. Take a little time for yourself if you can, and then start looking. I hope it is possible for you to clear your head for at least a week or so! I know this has to be a horrible shock. 

• Love 11

I just can't believe the timing. Two weeks before the start of the semester! I know the Board meets sometime in July, and this seems to be the new policy for all four campuses in the system. I wonder if there was some pushback, hence the delay in the news? 

MIL needs help often enough that I might go into semi-retirement and take a brainless PT job down on the Avenue a few blocks from my house. There are coffee shops galore to choose from.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I just can't believe the timing. Two weeks before the start of the semester!

That's a seriously shitty thing for them to do in a school/university environment. 😞

• Love 5

So yesterday I’m officially done with one of my friends for good. Tired of her constantly ditching me for her new man. Decided she is not worth it. My time and effort should be spent on exercising or doing fun things versus wasting my time on her. 

Sucks doing things alone but it is what it is.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

So yesterday I’m officially done with one of my friends for good. Tired of her constantly ditching me for her new man. Decided she is not worth it. My time and effort should be spent on exercising or doing fun things versus wasting my time on her. 

Sucks doing things alone but it is what it is.

Is she one of the ones you have talked about before? In my experience, cutting off a toxic friendship, though painful at the time, is one of the best things you can do for yourself. At least for me, I didn't even realize how much time and effort and mental anguish I put into a one-sided relationship that made me deeply unhappy until I didn't have to propagate it anymore. Does make a difference if you still enjoy the person's company, but in my situation, any enjoyment had long since expired on my end. 

• Love 12

I got to ease drop at Starbucks waiting to interview a caregiver.

Girlfriend found inappropriate photos in boyfriend’s phone four nights ago, brought her friend or sister along to make sure she didn’t go off on him. 

They were fighting in English and Urdu (I think). The couple was civil, they weren't inappropriate But she was MAD I could tell! 
I could hear it all, eventually the friend said "I really have to go"(I was got a good bit of the juicy parts before the interviewee showed up ).

He said "I never had her"(old fashioned phrase but he had an accent, the women didn’t so maybe a translated phrase)

I think he's lying. 
He gave up his SM passwords!!
Cause she suspected him before of something and he got caught.I appreciated she didn't call the other woman out of her name or anything. 

It was all on him. 
"Who made her important?"
"When were numbers exchanged?"
It was deep........

The poor friend. “I really have to go.” She was just sipping her drink looking miserable. Got dragged out of her house with just flip flops/leggings/T-shirt/phone. 

I wish i could tell the girl from a big sister perspective that she has ever right to be hurt, she was 100% a lady but let him go NOW!! They were young (maybe 21/22). He’s not worth it. Poor thing. 

I had no idea so much went down at Starbucks!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Congratulations @Christina87 !!  Sounds like this job was worth waiting for & is the perfect one for you.  Is it near where you live? 

On a side note, isn't it a shame none (or barely any) of the Duggarlings* will ever feel the sense of accomplishment a person gets when they get hired for a job?  (I'm talking about a real world 40+hours/week outside of the Duggar Empire job.) Especially nowadays when you realize how many applicants apply for a position & you were the one they chose! What a high.

* Besides Josh for a short time in DC & possibly  JD, I don't think any of the Duggar kids has held a real job in the outside world.  (I'm talking about the Duggar kids, not the spouses who have all worked or are still working for someone that isn't named Duggar.) 

ETA, @allonsyalice, Thanks for the explanation. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 8