Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 7/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, Westiepeach said:

So, first and foremost... GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, we planned to go to a store this morning an hour away from us to buy a range hood for our Great Kitchen Remodel of 2019. Store opened at 6:30, we were ready to go stupid early (because they opened stupid early), but we were hit with a massive storm and our power kept going out. Not long, but just enough to be annoying, so we were delayed in leaving. Got there later, bought it, got it home, and all is well in Great Ktchen Remodel-Land. I really did have a point, but apparently I saw something shiny so...

So you were able to buy something without hash tagging it, get it out in without so stupid picture and go on about your life without documenting every minute of it ????

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
4 minutes ago, dariafan said:

So you were able to buy something without hash tagging it, get it out in without so stupid picture and go on about your life without documenting every minute of it ????

Not only that, I am also capable of eating meals without photo documentation and hashtags, without taking selfies every 10 minutes, checking in on SM everywhere I go, AND I can cook without using 8 cans of Cream o'Crap soup and Velveeta!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Not only that, I am also capable of eating meals without photo documentation and hashtags, without taking selfies every 10 minutes, checking in on SM everywhere I go, AND I can cook without using 8 cans of Cream o'Crap soup and Velveeta!

No way !  That’s some liberal witchcraft there 

Has anyone noticed none of the little duggers have expressed an interest in being a baker when they grow up ?   So maybe llama above is listening to some of our prayers ???

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Starting to get some thunder grumbles out there...Tomorrow should be a lot cooler (at almost 8:00, it's still apparently about 93 out there, with a heat index of 103). Hopefully a bunch of good rain to go along with the cooler temps as well! 

I went out to check on the vegetable garden today and take some pictures...it's been a bit neglected over the past few weeks with me being laid up (though Mr. Jyn does most of the vegetable garden work, while I'm in charge of the flowerbeds), and the outdoor temperatures being so hot. August is supposed to be the hottest month here in general. God, I hope it isn't this year! I don't think we can handle anything much hotter than this!

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, here are a couple of shots of the raised beds, with my two beds of annuals in between adding a splash of color. The sunflowers at the perimeter are just starting to bloom, so hopefully in another week or two we will have even more color.

Edited to add...these shots only show about half the vegetable garden, if. There are two huge beds of tomatoes, one surrounded by various squashes, cucumbers, etc, and the other with beans and celery, a bed of eggplant, peppers, etc, two beds of potatoes, one of broccoli, kale, and beets, and another of kale, beans, and onions (that's the one on the lower photo)

67131828_10157241121157778_744116973956235264_n.jpg

67156842_10157241133157778_7223929816989302784_n.jpg

I envy your beautiful garden...but not the hours in the hot sun to create it!

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

https://people.com/parents/lake-bell-opens-up-about-home-birth-with-son/

have no clue who she is. But she had 2 home births. Lucky the kids are okay. Ozgood is a not a great name.

The second kid weighed 11 pounds, didn't breathe spontaneously and paramedics were called. The baby was in the NICU for 11 days after suffering hypoxia, prolonged oxygen deprivation.  But, don't worry; she doesn't blame herself or the midwife.  After all, the NICU team did a great job and her son is perfectly fine now.  I guess second guessing and guilt are only for parents whose kids are permanently damaged at their home  birth. A 6 figure NICU bill and double digit days in the hospital is a small price to pay when the mom feels 'empowered' by her homebirth.

Of course, her first kid needed mouth to mouth from the midwife to start breathing and she seems to think that that was the perfect home birth; so she is apparently unaware that most babies start breathing on their own..

She also seems downright thrilled by how exciting it was to have her kids come out limp and non-breathing and require significant resuscitation to get them breathing normally; so I think she's not too bright.

I THINK she's an actress but I KNOW she's a nitwit.

Ozgood is a dumb name but her daughter's name is Nova; so I think dumb names are her thing.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I THINK she's an actress but I KNOW she's a nitwit.

Oh yeah god, I can't even comprehend that she thinks either of her homebirths were successes or "empowering". I've never given birth and even I know that.

Lady, your kids could have died. There nothing empowering about that. And the "primal bonding"? That was animal instinct saying, "holy shit, something is very wrong with my offspring". 

Are there any sort of statistics about failed home births? Would they differentiate between cases where the infant didn't survive and cases where either mom or baby had to be transferred to the hospital?

(I'll admit, I'm a chicken and any potential kids I have will be delivered in a hospital. Especially after seeing the birthing suite my sister had. It was actually quite cozy and private, considering it was a hospital room. It even had an x-box!)

• Love 4
On 7/21/2019 at 7:25 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

So today my mom and I go to my priest's house for a meal with a bunch of other people in the parish.   My mother and some other "helpful" church ladies start to tell my priest's brother that I am single.  Now Leonardo is from Colombia and speaks no English.   I don't even know how old he is.  Thanks mom.

Sounds like the scene from the movie “the wedding planner”

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I have decided I will name my dog Daxton Ozgood! 

😂

I always pick the most outrageous multi-part names for my Chihuahuas. And I am always thinking of new ones to inflict on the next one! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

You’re incredible!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Chelsea Clinton named her third kid Jasper. Wasn’t there a Jasper in twilight books?

Yes, it was in Twilight. However it's an old with a long history. It's been rising in popularity for a while and currently sits at #154 for boys. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Yes, it was in Twilight. However it's an old with a long history. It's been rising in popularity for a while and currently sits at #154 for boys. 

Yup. It’s a family name for me so I know plenty of Jaspers ranging from 70s through preteens.

The family joke used to be that the henchman in 101 Dalmatians was named Jasper. There’s also a character in the campy CW series The 100. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Chelsea Clinton named her third kid Jasper. 

I adore the name Jasper (and that may only be because I know and have a crush on a Jasper.) it also seems a little regal to me in ways I can’t explain. I’m dying i use it for a character. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

He’s a real cutie. 

Thanks! He's getting old and has some health issues now, has lost some of the fullness of his coat. But, he's still a sweet little guy. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, dariafan said:

I have clothes I recently made that I would like to show off, but I’m afraid to be like Jill and have bad pictures !!!

Do it!!!!  I am always impressed that people can make clothing.  

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, dariafan said:

I have clothes I recently made that I would like to show off, but I’m afraid to be like Jill and have bad pictures !!!

do it! I love seeing things people made! I'll join in too 😊😊😊

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Anyone see Lion king 2019? Is it good?

i see glory 1989 is playing. I have not seen it yet. 

I saw Lion King last weekend. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. The CGI was spectacular, but some of the voice work wasn't up to par. For me it was middle of the road as far as remakes go.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, BitterApple said:

I saw Lion King last weekend. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. The CGI was spectacular, but some of the voice work wasn't up to par. For me it was middle of the road as far as remakes go.

This is almost exactly what I would have written.  The only point I will add is that it seemed to drag in places.  When I got home, I looked up the running time of the original   It was 88 minutes.  The run time of the new version is one hour and fifty eight minutes.  No wonder it seemed to drag at times - the story didn't expand but the run time certainly did.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm bah humbug about summer blockbusters. I'm awaiting Downton Abbey in the fall. 😁

I'm still so mad about the last season of that show. (Okay the last 3 seasons. But did I watch every minute? Yep.) I don't know that I will watch it in theater, but I won't be able to resist my nosiness once it reaches DVD. 

• Love 2
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

I just hope Denker and Sprat have moved on. I hated that storyline. 

Yeah that got tedious.

I started to feel like Downton Abbey was the Hotel California. Nobody was ever allowed to leave. 

The Bateses is what got on my nerves. And I started the show loving both of them. By the end, I would almost weep when they popped up on screen because ugh. 

• Love 4

Well, I figure Anna will be at home with the toddler (I think I recall that this will be set in '26 or '27), but I suspect Bates will still be Robert's valet. I'm sure we'll get a scene of their domestic bliss. 

What about Daisy? I assume she has moved on. Although I did like her more at the farm than at the Abbey.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, I figure Anna will be at home with the toddler (I think I recall that this will be set in '26 or '27), but I suspect Bates will still be Robert's valet. I'm sure we'll get a scene of their domestic bliss. 

What about Daisy? I assume she has moved on. Although I did like her more at the farm than at the Abbey.

I liked Daisy at the farm much better too. She and Mr. Mason were a lovely duo that really grew on me. 

What are the odds that the Bates family can get through the movie without one of them being falsely accused of murder? 😜

I always enjoyed Rob James-Collier as an actor, but I don't think it really makes sense for Thomas to return. 

I am intrigued by the addition of Imelda Staunton!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

I thought I saw Thomas in one of the promotional posters! Maybe he replaced Carson!

Oh maybe he did! I can't remember where he ended up at the end, thought he left but that might have been a figment of my imagination. LOL That actually makes more sense for him to still be there if he replaced Carson. 

Yeah I just looked it up, and he did stay. I wonder what in the world I was thinking of? 😂

• Love 1

Right. Carson had the palsy and had to retire, at least from serving. He may have stayed on in an administorial role with Thomas at Front of House, to steal from restaurant lingo.

• Useful 1

Lightning struck my water well and blew out the pump. 

Everyone is ok and that's all that matters. Pump is fixed and things are back to normal. 

I was thinking of you guys...why?

1. Cleaning and organizing tons of books AND questioning why I own all these books. 

2. The feral white cats that live in my huge DIY shed in the forest behind my house are most definitely deaf, as a few of you said.  They seem to like us a lot and spend time watching us.  They are totally not afraid of us.  The family of black cats has moved on, it seems. So it's just the deaf cats.  

• Love 12

I was never a big fan of The Lion King nor was Son of Barb when the original film came out when he was about five.  That was because we came across the Land Before Time series around the same time & Son of Barb (& myself) loved, loved those movies.  I always thought the scene of Littlefoot losing his mother in the original Land Before Time was just as heartbreaking & better done as similar scenes in the Lion King.  

BTW, Mr. Barb bought the original movie while getting lunch at McDonald's.  It was the best $2.99 he ever spent. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I was never a big fan of The Lion King nor was Son of Barb when the original film came out when he was about five.  That was because we came across the Land Before Time series around the same time & Son of Barb (& myself) loved, loved those movies.  I always thought the scene of Littlefoot losing his mother in the original Land Before Time was just as heartbreaking & better done as similar scenes in the Lion King.  

BTW, Mr. Barb bought the original movie while getting lunch at McDonald's.  It was the best $2.99 he ever spent. 

Ahhhh I remember the Land Before Time movies from when I was a kid! I haven't thought of them in years, but they were really good.

5-year-old me really liked original The Lion King. It was actually the first movie I saw in theater, and the scene with the stampede scared the living hell out of me. (For whatever reason, that traumatized me way more than the scene that traumatized everyone else.) I also for some reason thought Scar was on top of trash cans for that, which confused me for years, wondering why lions had all these trash cans. LOL I have no idea what in the world I was thinking. Guess I was just a really weird kid. 

Anyway, I was obsessed with the movie for awhile when it came out on VHS. I haven't seen it in years, though. The only Disney movie from my childhood that I still enjoy is Mulan. I have a lot of my friends my age who are still really into 90s Disney movies, and I always pretend to be above that because, as a general rule, I lost interest in them when I was about 10. But every now and then, I totally pull up scenes and songs from Mulan and watch them on repeat. 😉

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
(edited)

I just rewatched that scene for the first time in about 20 years and cannot figure out for the life of me what I thought was a trash can, other than the sides of the gorge, which don't look at all like trash cans. 😂

This might have been an early indication of my vision problems. . . . 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2