Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

He should be in the hospital at least two weeks and recovery can take up to a year.

Hope he’s better soon. That is scary stuff. Since he loves school you need to look into setting up homebound services through his school system. They will send a teacher to the Home every day and he won’t get behind. 

• Love 8

@RABBITTRON, I'm so glad the tumor was benign and your son is on the mend.  You must be utterly exhausted from this experience.  Thank you for keeping us posted.  Did the ex-husband-from-Hell ever show up to visit his son in the hospital? 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Mollie said:

@RABBITTRON, I'm so glad the tumor was benign and your son is on the mend.  You must be utterly exhausted from this experience.  Thank you for keeping us posted.  Did the ex-husband-from-Hell ever show up to visit his son in the hospital? 

No!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 3

Now adding ex-husband to the list of people who remind me of the my in-laws. It took my mother-in-law two months before she came to see my husband after his diagnosis. Of course, she along with my one sister-in-law were extremely rude to the dialysis unit  staff and doctor and were more concern about how his illness affected them. GRRR!!!

{{{HUGS}}} for you and your son. He sounds like a fighter.

Finally home after 21 days in Puerto Rico (was supposed to be 5 days.)

I missed you all..and my BATHTUB fulll of hot, steamy water (good for an old aching body.)

Why doesn't rural PR have any bathtubs?..They don't know what they're missing.(I know, I'm spoiled :)

I have totally converted my Puerto Rican husband...he used to say "I love cold showers! We don't need water heaters up here!"  Ha..he took a hot bath as soon as he unpacked :-)

I was so homesick..I don't even care what the difference in the weather is/will be! We may get 8" of snow tomorrow..yay!..still NO mosquitos!

PS I am missing whatever DNA makes for a happy traveler..Home sweet (cold) home for me ;)

PPs thanks for letting me blab :)

pixlr_20180207233203836.jpg

• Love 18

Welcome home, @ChiCricket. I can only imagine what a relief it is. I feel that way after two days of tent camping. Enjoy every minute of the steamy baths.

But the truth is, the people in Puerto Rico deserve so much more help than they have been given. I really hope it improves soon for those still there without electricity or clean water.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Welcome home, @ChiCricket. I can only imagine what a relief it is. I feel that way after two days of tent camping. Enjoy every minute of the steamy baths.

But the truth is, the people in Puerto Rico deserve so much more help than they have been given. I really hope it improves soon for those still there without electricity or clean water.

Glad you’re back, ChiCricket.  I’m sure you enjoyed the family part, though. Your husband enjoys cold showers because he takes them by choice. Right now, it’s the only choice. I would have been miserable as well. Just glad I’m no longer having to deal with my period. I feel so sorry for the poor women and girls who are dealing with this, and/or caring for children or the elderly. Not being able to wash properly and comfortably, or at all is really hard on human dignity. It’s a disgrace how these people are still suffering.

I’m sure you enjoyed your bath. I don’t think you’re missing a gene; I doubt very much even the most seasoned and low maintenance vacationer would have not stayed so long under those conditions.

• Love 6

Hey @Catfin, in re: Instant Pot recipes, there is a great community on FB with seasoned Pot Heads and newbies alike.  I’ve learned a LOT on there about everything from care tips to awesome recipes.  It’s very active so there is always something new to explore. 

Also try Pinch of Yum and Tastes Better From Scratch. 

• Love 2

Laughing about the Instant Pot Baby Tron told me that because he is sick ? he wants a get well ? so I said ok And I asked what he wanted and I thought he would say Legos but no he wants another instant pot I told him isn’t the six that you have now enough he loves it?

• Love 8

Rabbitron - I've been chuckling all night about your son wanting another Instapot to add to his collection. Sounds like he's recuperating well & will be using his Instapots in near future.  I love that his tutor is his former teacher.. 

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, CherryMalotte said:

I think the most appropriate thing to do in the loss of a child, if you don't know the family well, might be a donation to maybe Ronald McDonald House, especially if the child was ill, local hospice if they were involved...or if later there is a fund started for donations to a children's library, a bench in the park, playground, something of that nature.  

The child died in a freak accident, sadly.  And last night, 2 more fundraisers popped up.  Saw them because friend was tagged.  I just shook my head and kept scrolling.  One was for an organization - to make a donation in this child's memory.  I would have thought that would be better served with something in the obituary "In lieu of flowers, please give....".  Might not have turned people off as much.  Either way, I'm no longer feeling any guilt, and I scrolled on by.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, doodlebug said:

I would like to set up a Go Fund Me to put out a hit on Rabbittron's ex.  Anyone care to donate?

As for giving random people cash on the internet, I donate to no Go Fund Me's for people I do not know or who are not vouched for by people I trust.  I am single, my house is paid for, I make a very nice income and have no major debt.  So what?  My money was earned the old fashioned way and I do not contribute unless I am fairly certain that the recipient will use it for a real need. I can write a check to people I actually know if I want to help someone out.  Or give it to a charity that I know is legit.

I run into patients all the time who tell me all about their recent Caribbean cruise, show me their latest designer purse and smoke a pack a day and then tell me they have no money to pay for ibuprofen.  I have pointed out on occasion that it is obvious that it is not so much that they cannot pay for it but they CHOOSE not to.  Two very different things.

Oh, absolutely.  I will donate to that fund.  I have zero patients for fathers-in-name-only.

That's what really got me about one of the fundraisers for this family (one of many - I'm sure there are some I haven't seen because friend wasn't tagged in them or didn't share them) - it was to send them on vacation so they have time to heal.  **SIGH**

• Love 2
On 2/8/2018 at 8:29 AM, ChiCricket said:

After a full night's sleep, in my own bed, in my own house (which was wonderful) I need to add this.

My husband's (rural) Puerto Rican family, and (almost every other Puerto Rican I have ever met) are the kindest, most giving people I have ever known.

They will give you the shirt off of their back, feed you delicious home cooked meals until you are ready to pop, and make you endless (strong) cups of coffee, with condensed milk and sugar, of course. :)

Even when you show up more or less unannounced, they all offer you a bed in their house, to stay for as long as you like  (We rotated houses, we were a hot commodity, at least my husband was...nah.. they love me too)

It was heart wrenching leaving them. I love them as much as my own family (maybe more in a couple of cases) ;)

My husband's brother Jonny just got electricity back to his house..because he and some neighbors had  been without power for four months, so they decided to rehang the power lines themselves....I mean..by themselves. I was terrified someone was going to get electrocuted... But no..they got all the houses up there powered up again. Who knows how much longer they would have had to wait for someone to get to them?!

Then, to finish this on a positive note..everyone who connected their power back (by themselves, mind you)  invited everyone in the neighborhood to a pig roast to celebrate.

Coconuts were cut down, pastelles were made (a lot of work!) And lots of rice and gandules, avacados right from the tree, and home made Flan (to die for!) were served.
     They even took my daughter Rosa to a local bakery at the last second to get her daughter Ziva a birthday cake, for her 11th Birthday, which was that same day.

A good time was had by all :)

Ps..NOW I think I'm done..thanks for putting up with me..lol

PPs anytime any of you want to see the real Puerto Rico (not just touristy San Juan) LMK, I'll hook you up ;)

pixlr_20180208102239290.jpg

so, is this you in the bottom right picture?   

I am so tired of winter. Shoveling snow on and off since November. The ice and snow to walk and drive on. Shoveling one minute and have to shovel again a few hours later. The warnings not to go out unless it is absolutely necessary. Waiting for someone to plow the street so you can shovel and clean the rest of your driveway. The snow melting and refreezing again and hoping you can walk to your vehicle without falling. Hoping the moisture we get now will not dry out to the point of another nasty fire season the following summer. Trying not to cuss outside when your blasted car door is stuck when you want to start up your vehicle or your car door does not close all the way and hope it does not open when you are driving. Hearing the horror stories of law enforcement vehicles being hit because drivers do not slow down on the snow and ice/yield the right away to emergency vehicles.

Sorry everyone, but my anxiety levels are not getting better, and the cold and snow is not helping one bit. Oh well, it could be worse and Spring is almost here.

8 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I am so tired of winter. Shoveling snow on and off since November. The ice and snow to walk and drive on. Shoveling one minute and have to shovel again a few hours later. The warnings not to go out unless it is absolutely necessary. Waiting for someone to plow the street so you can shovel and clean the rest of your driveway. The snow melting and refreezing again and hoping you can walk to your vehicle without falling. Hoping the moisture we get now will not dry out to the point of another nasty fire season the following summer. Trying not to cuss outside when your blasted car door is stuck when you want to start up your vehicle or your car door does not close all the way and hope it does not open when you are driving. Hearing the horror stories of law enforcement vehicles being hit because drivers do not slow down on the snow and ice/yield the right away to emergency vehicles.

Sorry everyone, but my anxiety levels are not getting better, and the cold and snow is not helping one bit. Oh well, it could be worse and Spring is almost here.

You need to move down here to  Texas ( that sounds  wrong but I am tired  and cannot  think of a better way to say  it), we get ice or the smallest amount  of snow and everything  stops .  Of course  you have to deal with summers 98° and 95% humidity  and the odd hurricane  or two, as the northerns who move down here tell me...You cannot  shovel  sunshine . 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 3

BigSkyGirl - even tho I'm in Maryland & don't get the amount of snow&ice like you, we still get a fair share (esp this year) & feel your pain.

May I add these to your list:

Having so much salt on your windshield that the windshield washer fluid just smears it.  And yes, it is scary finding this out when going 60 mph on a highway. 

Having to climb in the back of your vehicle over the seats to get to front seat when all doors except tailgate door are iced shut.  (While wearing your dressier work clothes no less.) Like you said, that is a scary feeling not knowing if your door will fly open because you could only open it a little from the ice.

You finally made it home but cant get to it because the car is slipping & sliding back down your slightly slanted ice covered driveway for what seems like hours. 

Shoveling your sidewalks & driveway only to have plow come by & push the snow right back. And not realizing this til you are headed out to work.

Having to make arrangements for your child because of school closings, early dismissals or late openings. Usually this happens a few times but this year we've had plenty. 

Realizing too late that your front porch is ice covered and not just wet and ending up sliding into a bush.

Baltimore has plenty of rowhouses (townhouses) & parking is a premium even on sunny days. It is tradition of many  people to  reserve the space they shoveled out by marking the space with lawn chairs, dining room chairs,etc.til they return. I think it is an unwritten code that no one dare try to take that space.

I know there are plenty more examples others could add. That darn groundhog.  How many days til Spring? 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, zoomama said:

That's my daughter, Rosa. Her daughter Ahava was the one having her Bat Mitzvah in Puerto Rico ?? . Ahava wanted to have it there because her Abuelo (grandpa) is Puerto Rican, and she wanted to help boost the economy by having her after the Bat Mitzvah celebration there, plus then hopefully all his family could be there.

Btw, I'm not Jewish, so forgive me if any of you are and I'm getting any details wrong.

My daughter converted after she got married.  This was my first Bat Mitzvah :) It certainly was more fun than my first Bris.(for my grandson Samuel) I was there, but I couldn't watch it :)

My son in law hired a bus to go up into  the mountains to pick up my husband's family. The service and then the celebration was held on the south western coast of Puerto Rico.

I think it was about an hour and a half away from the town where they all live. We were shocked and very happy that almost his whole family came! 

They had it there because my son in law Nathan, who was a successful engineer (not the train kind) but then became a physician at 41 years old (his father was one) had gone on a medical mission to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, and even though that hotel was heavily damaged, they housed and fed (for free) many support/rescue people.

They wanted to have it there to help get them back to business. (Sorry so long winded, I'm seriously decompressing from this trip)

Here's a picture of Ahava.

PS..I stayed at this hotel one night, the other 20 days were up in the mountains :)

Screenshot_20180209-211154.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 20
21 hours ago, zoomama said:

This is my husband and me on our oldest daughter Rebecca's 1st birthday. 

It's 48 years ago , but it's how I still choose to see myself, in my head. 

(You have to avoid mirrors like the plague to make this work)   ?

rps20180210_093335.jpg

• Love 17
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

This is my husband and me on our oldest daughter Rebecca's 1st birthday. 

It's 48 years ago , but it's how I still choose to see myself, in my head. 

(You have to avoid mirrors like the plague to make this work)   ?

rps20180210_093335.jpg

Time goes so quickly. My dear Dad used to say "Too soon old, too late smart."

• Love 7

@ChiCricket  loved all the photos. The Bat Mitzvah photo of your Ahava is beautiful. Loved her sentiment about having it in Puerto Rico. She’s a thoughtful little girl, indeed! Your Rosa hit the husband jackpot with Nathan. He’s the true definition of what I understand a mensch to be. He made sure your family could get there. He clearly adores her and their children. 

• Love 6

Wow, you guys are awesome.  

I've been enjoying everyone's photos--the Puerto Rico pix remind me of the time I spent in Panama when I was first married.  I miss that country!

So glad Rabbittron Jr. is doing well.

I'm one of the ones who mismanages money dreadfully.  I had been doing very well during the past year, but once I needed some car repairs in October, things started slipping downhill.  Add to that that I'm paying a crapton of money to the IRS and the state of Massachusetts for taxes on the support money my future ex-husband gives me, and the fact that my minimum wage job doesn't pay me when there are snow days or Christmas vacation, and I've really been going backwards.  Every available nickel is spoken for right now, and I'll be able to dig myself out, but it's going to take a little time.  The truth is, I always cringe when money matters come up because I'm the poster child for "should be able to manage money better but doesn't."  I feel like an idiot about it, honestly.  When I'm feeling bad, it's very hard to remember that I don't NEED a blessed thing.  Mostly I spend money on food because I hate cooking for myself, and when I cook for my kids, I end up buying stuff for the meal.  Trust me, it is NOT cheaper to eat out than to cook for oneself.  I went 8 days without spending any money, then bought stamps, cat food and litter, and milk, plus spent $12 on lunch.  And so it goes.  

That's probably more information than you ever wanted to know, but I feel like I'm defrauding myself.  Luckily I still have some of the gift cards my students gave me for Christmas, so I get coffee and a donut or bagel once or twice a week, but it's so embarrassing to be so bad at this when intellectually I KNOW how to manage money, but emotionally I hit the override button.

I've typed my sad story numerous times but never posted it.  If I could just spend more time in the prayer closet, I could eat and drink myself into oblivion...

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Wow, you guys are awesome.  

I've been enjoying everyone's photos--the Puerto Rico pix remind me of the time I spent in Panama when I was first married.  I miss that country!

So glad Rabbittron Jr. is doing well.

I'm one of the ones who mismanages money dreadfully.  I had been doing very well during the past year, but once I needed some car repairs in October, things started slipping downhill.  Add to that that I'm paying a crapton of money to the IRS and the state of Massachusetts for taxes on the support money my future ex-husband gives me, and the fact that my minimum wage job doesn't pay me when there are snow days or Christmas vacation, and I've really been going backwards.  Every available nickel is spoken for right now, and I'll be able to dig myself out, but it's going to take a little time.  The truth is, I always cringe when money matters come up because I'm the poster child for "should be able to manage money better but doesn't."  I feel like an idiot about it, honestly.  When I'm feeling bad, it's very hard to remember that I don't NEED a blessed thing.  Mostly I spend money on food because I hate cooking for myself, and when I cook for my kids, I end up buying stuff for the meal.  Trust me, it is NOT cheaper to eat out than to cook for oneself.  I went 8 days without spending any money, then bought stamps, cat food and litter, and milk, plus spent $12 on lunch.  And so it goes.  

That's probably more information than you ever wanted to know, but I feel like I'm defrauding myself.  Luckily I still have some of the gift cards my students gave me for Christmas, so I get coffee and a donut or bagel once or twice a week, but it's so embarrassing to be so bad at this when intellectually I KNOW how to manage money, but emotionally I hit the override button.

I've typed my sad story numerous times but never posted it.  If I could just spend more time in the prayer closet, I could eat and drink myself into oblivion...

You’re not alone, just so you know. It’s easy to comment on the way others do things, hence a site for snark. In reality we sometimes have these comments to make because we have been through it ourselves.

• Love 12
On 2/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

You need to move down here to  Texas ( that sounds  wrong but I am tired  and cannot  think of a better way to say  it), we get ice or the smallest amount  of snow and everything  stops .  Of course  you have to deal with summers 98° and 95% humidity  and the odd hurricane  or two, as the northerns who move down here tell me...You cannot  shovel  sunshine . 

Now you made me homesick for Alpine ?

• Love 2

The blasted snow and cold is bothering my eyes. I open the door to let Sassy out and the cold, sunlight, and snow brightness hit my eyes, and it hurt big time. Waiting to hear back from the eye doctor. Now I have to deal with the winter weather affecting my eye health. Might end up wearing my prescription sunglasses inside also in order to see and not be bothered by the snow brightness,sunlight and cold inside also. It really starts to get old really fast.

Edited by bigskygirl

So excited for the upcoming nuptials tomorrow for our very own @Celia Rubenstein and @GeeGolly. All modesty panels have been sewn in the bridesmaid's dresses, but I will make sure I bring my trusty sewing machine to the ceremony tomorrow in case I have any last minute mending to do. Who is in charge of the drone to bring the rings? And the confetti cannon?

Looking forward to the pre-wedding feast tonight of pickles, powdered lemonade, melted root beer floats and nuts! Cheers!

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Actually, the rings are being shot out of the cannon. I'm going to catch them in my teeth! The drones are going to drop 2 metric tons of confetti in our wedding colors of Blush and Bashful on the crowd. We wanted to switch it up and be original!

If you're going with Blush and Bashful, who get's stuck with the hairstyle of a football helmet?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

So excited for the upcoming nuptials tomorrow for our very own @Celia Rubenstein and @GeeGolly. All modesty panels have been sewn in the bridesmaid's dresses, but I will make sure I bring my trusty sewing machine to the ceremony tomorrow in case I have any last minute mending to do. Who is in charge of the drone to bring the rings? And the confetti cannon?

Looking forward to the pre-wedding feast tonight of pickles, powdered lemonade, melted root beer floats and nuts! Cheers!

5 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Actually, the rings are being shot out of the cannon. I'm going to catch them in my teeth! The drones are going to drop 2 metric tons of confetti in our wedding colors of Blush and Bashful on the crowd. We wanted to switch it up and be original!

Oh my, its tomorrow!? I'm feeling all kinds of feelings. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my, its tomorrow!? I'm feeling all kinds of feelings. 

Yes! Tomorrow is the big day! If I recall, @Celia Rubenstein will be your headship, no? Then she can decide how you wear your hair, if you wear a veil or not, what flowers you carry, when you leave the parking lot reception so you can hey-hey-hey. All you have to do is show up and call her “babe.”

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

Yes! Tomorrow is the big day! If I recall, @Celia Rubenstein will be your headship, no? Then she can decide how you wear your hair, if you wear a veil or not, what flowers you carry, when you leave the parking lot reception so you can hey-hey-hey. All you have to do is show up and call her “babe.”

Phew, the pressure is off. I hope she doesn't bring a lot of luggage.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I hope she doesn't bring a lot of luggage.

Just the emotional kind.  But we all have plenty of that!  I'm so looking forward to tomorrow--I could use a good celebration right about now!

Edited by magpye29
looking forward is not one word
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Speaking of flowers you have made your 7,000 flower petals by hand to save money, right?  (Dig at Sister Wives)

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Speaking of flowers you have made your 7,000 flower petals by hand to save money, right?  (Dig at Sister Wives)

Did anyone remember to get the 2 bride piñatas for tomorrow?

(also a Sister Wives dig) ;-)

• Love 11
4 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

If you're going with Blush and Bashful, who get's stuck with the hairstyle of a football helmet?

Have you seen Gee Golly's avatar?  Heh heh heh

14 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

It took me six months but I finally finished them.  3500 in blush, 3500 in bashful. All done and ready to be thrown into the trash the split second the wedding is over. Time well spent, I think.   

Just now, ChiCricket said:

Did anyone remember to get the 2 bride piñatas for tomorrow?

(also a Sister Wives dig) ;-)

And the ketchup packets to put inside them! Don't forget the ketchup packets!

• Love 14