Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

It's called Equate Urinary Pain Relief.

That's the Walmart brand! The brand Azo also makes a urinary pain tried medication (it's the one in the purple box, they're not all the same!) but really all you're looking for is the active ingredient, phenazopyridine. OTC strength is generally 95MG to 99.5MG depending on brand, RX strength is 100MG or 200MG.

Just know it may turn your urine orange and (like you said) it doesn't cure a UTI, it just helps with the pain.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

IIRC, this OTC med ^^^ can mess up  the urine C&S test results when your Dr has your urine tested. 

The nurse practitioner at the OB Gyn I worked at would hate it when she found out a patient had used it & like you said, the color of the urine gives it away. 

Has anyone else (@doodlebug) heard of this? 

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Soma is having an anniversary sale. Get one bra - any bra - for $15.00. Today only. 

Code 38010.

Been trying to get through for most of the day. I'm basically out of any sort of bra that fits. I mean, I seem to be of the sort of size which can deal with whatever (as far as I can figure, about 42 C ) though I've been looking into all sorts of things in the past few days just in case I was missing out on some thing. 

Started checking out this site earlier this morning as a cheap bra seemed like something I could use even at the cost of giving my info to another company, but it took forever just to register. I don't think I've ever registered with a bra company before this, but since just giving them basic info didn't seem to do anything towards being able to order, I took the splurge and registered, but they claimed that my email was already on record, so I went for a new password. At which point it turned out that they were all behind and unable to complete orders. So I tried calling, even though I have tried completing an order so many times that I have no idea anymore which bras I'd tried to order (trying  for a BOGO plus a $15 deal to come up with free shipping), but I've been on the phone forever with no clue as to how long it might take with no inkling of anyone there to answer the phone.

Ah, well....0% of any of whatever I've been trying to do is still cheaper than ordering anything, so I guess I'll still be ahead of the game, if a little saggy...

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m weird. I have to have the tv on when I sleep. Otherwise I can’t sleep. 

You’re not weird. I can name several people I know including one of my sons who is the same. I’m sure there are many more. 

• Love 7
On 8/25/2019 at 8:50 AM, galaxychaser said:

Went to the doctor yesterday. Good thing too. I got an ear infection so got antibiotics.  Wasted $ on the cold medicine. Didn’t need it. Now I’m trying to stay warm and drink hot tea. 

Staying home tomorrow again. 

I’m sorry. Feel better. 

7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

You’re not weird. I can name several people I know including one of my sons who is the same. I’m sure there are many more. 

Nope you’re not weird @galaxychaser, I CAN sleep anywhere, but I very much prefer having the tv on to sleep, and then it shuts off due to the timer. 

• Love 5

For reasons that I won’t go into, I sometimes fight going to sleep. Not all the time, but when I do I find it easier if I leave the tv on for awhile. Like Scarlet, mine shuts off automatically after a certain amount of time. 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m sorry. Feel better. 

Nope you’re not weird @galaxychaser, I CAN sleep anywhere, but I very much prefer having the tv on to sleep, and then it shuts off due to the timer. 

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

For reasons that I won’t go into, I sometimes fight going to sleep. Not all the time, but when I do I find it easier if I leave the tv on for awhile. Like Scarlet, mine shuts off automatically after a certain amount of time. 

Joining the "crowd" - it is much easier for sleep to sneak up on me if I have the TV  on.  Otherwise my brain goes into high gear, thinking about the day that's over and the one coming and on and on.  It's much nicer to be lulled into sleep by the TV.  My life long pattern used to be reading myself to sleep, but this works better.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I’ve been doing this for 40-some years. I started doing it to mask my tinnitus (which is very common) but now it’s more for the distraction so my brain will shut off. I’ve never fallen asleep very easily, not even when I was a kid. I don’t use the tv that much anymore; I listen to audiobooks. Unless I’m really stressed. Then I will fire up Netflix drift off to Great British Bake Off. It’s like magic!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

Joining the "crowd" - it is much easier for sleep to sneak up on me if I have the TV  on.  Otherwise my brain goes into high gear, thinking about the day that's over and the one coming and on and on.  It's much nicer to be lulled into sleep by the TV.  My life long pattern used to be reading myself to sleep, but this works better.

Anyone else turn on reruns of 'Forensic Files' in the middle of the night when they can't sleep? The announcer's voice is incredibly soothing for some reason.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Add me to the crowd.  Occasionally the characters on whatever TV show is on  mixes in with my dreams. Gets kind of interesting when it's the ID or Snapped channels or Dateline 20/20 shows.  I also tend to doze off during the last 15 minutes of a show & wake up when the next show is starting & I can't figure out what's going on. I've learned to record the shows so I know what happens to the bad guy.

• Love 5
On 8/25/2019 at 11:23 AM, Barb23 said:

IIRC, this OTC med ^^^ can mess up  the urine C&S test results when your Dr has your urine tested. 

The nurse practitioner at the OB Gyn I worked at would hate it when she found out a patient had used it & like you said, the color of the urine gives it away. 

Has anyone else (@doodlebug) heard of this? 

The med is pyridium and is available in several over the counter brands including Uristat and Azo-standard.  I don't think taking it will affect the results of testing for a bladder infection, it can interfere with urine testing for glucose and protein.  Since it turns the urine fluorescent orange, most lab techs realize it is there and will note it on the result.

• Useful 5
28 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I listen to Podcasts to fall asleep, they all have sleep timers too. I find the light from the TV too distracting. But someone talking about Survivor? I’m asleep in no time.

I use podcasts to fall asleep too!! but I like true crime, so there are definitely nights were I can't sleep because Im convinced theres a murderer in my apartment. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Anyone else turn on reruns of 'Forensic Files' in the middle of the night when they can't sleep? The announcer's voice is incredibly soothing for some reason.

Me!!  I fall asleep easily while watching Forensic Files.  I think because there are no loud noises, no laugh track, just the announcer's voice.  I will leave my TV on most nights and set it so it will go off automatically.  

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I listen to Podcasts to fall asleep, they all have sleep timers too. I find the light from the TV too distracting. But someone talking about Survivor? I’m asleep in no time.

Same!  

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

I have a fan going at night for a sound machine. On vacation, I use a fan app on my phone for noise. I don't even have a TV in my bedroom.

I need the fan to sleep too. I didn’t know about the fan app though!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Yes. 

And be the fan is on. Or I put something on Netflix. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

Me!!  I fall asleep easily while watching Forensic Files.  I think because there are no loud noises, no laugh track, just the announcer's voice.  I will leave my TV on most nights and set it so it will go off automatically.  

Me three four! (Edited to add: I was typing while @galaxychaser was posting.)

Forensic Files was narrated by the late Peter Thomas, who among other things was a decorated veteran of WWII. I also find his voice soothing.

Five years ago I went to the National WWI Museum in Kansas City. Just past the entrance was a room where a short film about the war was shown. I immediately recognized the narrator's voice. Yes, it was Peter Thomas. 

Actually I don't have Forensic Files on much at bedtime lately, but there are a few tried and true Netflix and Amazon Prime documentaries that I can play, at low volume, and I'm sound asleep long before the show ends and the TV sleep timer shuts it off. 

Sweet dreams, everyone!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a kid. You know that bullshit about counting sheep? I've counted them up to 1,000 and then still lain awake for hours.  Ditto for imagining a beach and pretty much any other technique I've ever read about for going to sleep.

I need a fan to block out noise. And I usually read at night to make the hours go by.

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I don't watch TV before bed, but I read a lot of true crime before going to bed. And then I'm just like, "When I do fall asleep, I'm probably going to have nightmares about this. Why am I doing this?" 😂

Also listen to a lot of music before bed, but it's never soothing. Haha A couple of nights ago it was Kurt Cobain because I had him on my mind. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

I can't do more than a fan in order to fall asleep.  If I have the TV or music playing I fight to pay attention to it instead.   I need a good 30 to 45 minutes to wind down enough to fall asleep.   I can't nap because of this unless I'm on a plane or a passenger in a car  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh man, I can't sleep on a plane or in a car to save my life. Believe me, I've tried!

Same here. Flying to and from Europe was hell for that reason. 

• Love 5

I "listen" to Old Time Radio detective shows at night.  I sleep well, but will wake up if the radio stops playing.  Johnny Dollar, Dragnet, Broadway is my Beat, Lux Playhouse--shows I never head when they were produced, but I really enjoy now. I have always had the radio on to sleep; it just seems to cover up house noises and seems cozy.  When I travel I always play the audio book "Whose Body" by Dorothy L. Sayers.  Don't know why, but that is my go-to sleep book (I'm in love with Lord Peter!)  Can't have music on to sleep--it must be radio drama.  Go figure.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh man, I can't sleep on a plane or in a car to save my life. Believe me, I've tried!

Oh I can, and it's not pretty.   Open mouth, possibly snoring, and definitely drooling.  Once the plane hits cruising altitude,  the motion of the plane lulls me to sleep.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

And I have trouble staying awake!  And forget about trains.  I have been on some of the great trains around the world and have had to fight to stay awake.  Maybe because I had a day and a night job for so many years, but I can sleep anytime, anywhere, and the constant background sounds of travel just put me right out.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Same here. Flying to and from Europe was hell for that reason. 

I thought I was the only one! Everyone else in the cabin was zonked out 30 minutes into my last flight except for me. Nine hours later we landed and I had slept maybe an hour.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I "listen" to Old Time Radio detective shows at night.  I sleep well, but will wake up if the radio stops playing.  Johnny Dollar, Dragnet, Broadway is my Beat, Lux Playhouse--shows I never head when they were produced, but I really enjoy now. I have always had the radio on to sleep; it just seems to cover up house noises and seems cozy.  When I travel I always play the audio book "Whose Body" by Dorothy L. Sayers.  Don't know why, but that is my go-to sleep book (I'm in love with Lord Peter!)  Can't have music on to sleep--it must be radio drama.  Go figure.

One of my faves. I’ve reread those books so many times I can practically recite them so they are great to drift off to. 

I’ve tried to use music I will invariably start humming.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I thought I was the only one! Everyone else in the cabin was zonked out 30 minutes into my last flight except for me. Nine hours later we landed and I had slept maybe an hour.

Yep that was me. I even stayed awake the whole night before flying back, thinking surely I'd sleep. Nope, nope, nope. Just stayed awake through the whole flight and all the other flights and layovers after being awake around 24 hours before even starting and eventually had sleep-deprivation-induced hallucinations on the drive home. 

I'm sensitive to meds, but I'd seriously consider sleeping pills before flying transoceanic again. 

• Love 2

I fall asleep on a subway every day. Once fell asleep on a bus and woke up at the last stop. Was late for work. 

I love sleeping in a subway, car, bus etc. basically everywhere but at home. At home it’s hell to sleep. Except when I’m sick. Then I sleep more than I’m awake. I’m like a cat. 🤣

• LOL 4
On 8/23/2019 at 10:33 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm one who manages to get ridiculously excited about interesting clouds billowing by, sunsets, bits of music...all manner of little things, really. But nothing squashes that faster than someone pointing a camera at me.

A friend told me I had the “child-like excitement of a dog.” I took it as a compliment 🙂

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Anyone else tired of Miley Cyrus? She acts so immature and is annoying/irritating me to tears. 

I get why Liam left her. Happy he didn’t knock her up. 

Jeez she is insufferable.

😂😂😂

I am usually up on my celebrity gossip, but I didn't catch they had separated until after it got ugly about a week or so ago. (I literally saw a headline that said "Liam and Miley Split Turns Ugly" and I was like, wasn't she just yammering to a magazine about their special relationship? So then I quickly got up to speed and have been following the zaniness ever since. I've not been as riveted by a celebrity circus since the dumpster fire that was Tom Hiddleston and Taylor Swift.)

In any event, yeah, I feel bad for Liam. Obviously, I have no idea what was going on in that relationship, but I feel like he has been a lot more mature about it publicly. And on a personal level, all those sad photos of him eating yogurt and surfing in Australia--he just looks so pathetic, and it makes me feel bad for him. Then again, he knew Miley for a long time. Dude had to know what he was getting into with her.  

It's a shame Miley seems more interested in shocking people than doing anything else. She's not really my thing, but she's actually not without talent as a singer. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

As for Miley being "surprised" and "disappointed" when Liam filed for divorce after she released what was apparently a thinly veiled song about their breakup and she was publicly making out with someone else before news of their split broke:

I can't figure out if she is that clueless or if she thought she could just do anything to him and he'd just crawl back for more punishment. 

But this was my face when I read about her surprise and disappointment:

gene wilder.jpg

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4

School Rant Ahead - When did Kindergarten become 1st grade and how is that schools can refuse to admit special needs 5-year-olds? My 8 yo grandson & 5 yo granddaughter, plus my daughter, have been living with me since May. Last week was the first week of school and today my granddaughter was tested for Kindergarten readiness. She is supposed to know 8 basic colors and shapes, count to 20 and recognize the numbers 1-10, know the alphabet and recognize the letters, plus write her name. She is also expected to be able to sit in her seat, pay attention, and follow directions from 9-3:30, five days a week. 

She has technically gone to 2 years of Head Start, but she missed as much as she attended and her mother parks her in front of the TV all day, so she is at a major disadvantage. Her brother, her mother, her aunt, and her uncle are all ADHD and she shows all the signs. We've been trying to get her a psychological evaluation since they moved in and everyone's waiting list is 12-18 months. The school district's special ed director and her pediatrician are going to try to get something scheduled earlier, but we're on notice that if she's not tested within the next month or brought up to speed, she will be deemed unready for Kindergarten and unenrolled.

2 hours ago, Nysha said:

School Rant Ahead - When did Kindergarten become 1st grade and how is that schools can refuse to admit special needs 5-year-olds? My 8 yo grandson & 5 yo granddaughter, plus my daughter, have been living with me since May. Last week was the first week of school and today my granddaughter was tested for Kindergarten readiness. She is supposed to know 8 basic colors and shapes, count to 20 and recognize the numbers 1-10, know the alphabet and recognize the letters, plus write her name. She is also expected to be able to sit in her seat, pay attention, and follow directions from 9-3:30, five days a week. 

She has technically gone to 2 years of Head Start, but she missed as much as she attended and her mother parks her in front of the TV all day, so she is at a major disadvantage. Her brother, her mother, her aunt, and her uncle are all ADHD and she shows all the signs. We've been trying to get her a psychological evaluation since they moved in and everyone's waiting list is 12-18 months. The school district's special ed director and her pediatrician are going to try to get something scheduled earlier, but we're on notice that if she's not tested within the next month or brought up to speed, she will be deemed unready for Kindergarten and unenrolled.

I’m sorry that something that is a basic right is such a struggle 😢

I would have thought knowing all of those things would be what school is for? 

There were no expectations that my children ‘knew’ anything

I forgot to add that my youngest has special needs and still didn’t have ‘expectations’ 

• Love 2

I just saw in the Josiah thread that Elizabeth Smart’s Dad , Ed Smart has come out.

I’m sure he doesn’t regret his children or his years with his wife, but DAMN. To be 64 years old and FINALLY get to be true to who you are?!! I suppose it depends on where you fall on the Kinsey scale, if you’re a 6 it might be easier to say “fuck it I have to be me” compared to if you are a 3 or a 4, living a heteronormative lifestyle might not be emotional torture, and it’s easier to push down that side of yourself because you have parts of your life that bring you joy. I’m sure his heart is breaking leaving the church but I understand why he doesn’t feel like he belongs.

Poor guy I feel for him. Yes I absolutely feel for his wife too, I’m sure she’s going through a lot of emotions. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I just saw in the Josiah thread that Elizabeth Smart’s Dad , Ed Smart has come out.

I’m sure he doesn’t regret his children or his years with his wife, but DAMN. To be 64 years old and FINALLY get to be true to who you are?!! I suppose it depends on where you fall on the Kinsey scale, if you’re a 6 it might be easier to say “fuck it I have to be me” compared to if you are a 3 or a 4, living a heteronormative lifestyle might not be emotional torture, and it’s easier to push down that side of yourself because you have parts of your life that bring you joy. I’m sure his heart is breaking leaving the church but I understand why he doesn’t feel like he belongs.

Poor guy I feel for him. Yes I absolutely feel for his wife too, I’m sure she’s going through a lot of emotions. 

It's such a sad situation all the way around. I wonder if Lois had any inklings that her husband was attracted to men? It would be one thing for Ed to come out privately to her years earlier and mutually decide to stay together for appearance's sake, but to find out your husband's been gay after nearly forty years together? I can't even imagine.

• Love 3

Hi guys, I've been wanting to rant about my experience taking my nieces to Disney World but you've all got so many really important and sometimes sad things going on that I feel like I should keep it t myself. This is the only place, except for with my husband, that I can vent about the older niece. I've talked about her before. I thing she is bipolar, judging from her actions.

Ok, here goes. Feel free to ignore me. I took my older niece and her 14 year old daughter to Disney. Of course I paid for everything. We can get military discounts on the rooms and tickets. Sarah, the older niece put the reservations in her name, which was the cause of a lot of problems later. I also paid for the meal plan to avoid having to worry about them paying for food if I was not with them. This resulted in Sarah making reservations for dinners that required more than one meal point and then informing me that I would have to pay to eat because most of my dinner points were used up. The hotel insisted that we add a credit card to the bands that contain all your information and get you into your hotel and the parks. She bought a lot of stuff for herself on that credit card. It all came to a head when I figured out that there were more dinners left than she told me. She went nuts on the phone to the extent that I told her I was going to get my things and go home. She started making threats and telling me I had better not take anything of hers. Guess what? She hasn't worked in years and my deceased brother and I have been supporting her because of her daughter. When he died it fell to me. I was already at the hotel and I made the mistake of telling someone there that I would like security to go with me to get my things because I was sure she would make a horrible scene. When they saw that the reservation was in her name the  fact that I paid for everything didn't matter. They said I would have to wait until she was there to get my things, then they decided to get the sheriff involved. One of the hotel managers called her and told her to come back to the hotel. She showed up two hours later. In the meantime I was sitting in a back room with a rotating cast of characters. They would not let me go to the room to get my computer, which has all my financial information, nor would they let me go in there to get my medication, so I was in extreme pain, To add insult to injury one of the deputies came in and said she told him I was psychotic and refused to take my meds. I informed him that the only meds I took were the ones resulting from my heart attack and stroke, as well as those for migraines and fibromyalgia. I'll give her this, she's a good actress, which I told everybody before she got there. They insisted  we  would have to have to go to the room together, which I refused because I knew she would make horrible scene. She doesn't care how she looks in public because she thinks she is smarter than everyone else. I went in and got my things but with five other people in the room I was so stressed that I actually left some things there.

The only good thing was that they got me  a room at another Disney hotel at a good price because there was no way I could attempt a 12 hour drive at that point. So I removed myself to a nice hotel only to find out the next day that she had removed me from the dining plan I paid for and no one at my hotel or the other one could fix it because that was also  in her name. The manager encouraged me to stay a few more days at the good rate and rest after he learned of all my health problems. He also gave me food vouchers for those days, including snacks. So, with the encouragement of my husband and my new friend Felipe', I decided to enjoy. The tickets were in my name so I went to the parks whenever I wanted and eventually I found someone who could get me on the dining plan again. He also told me I could convert lunches to snacks at a rate of three to one. Once I knew they had checked out I went to a candy store and got a boatload of cookies, praline and fudge. All was not magical, however. She texted that my husband had better not do anything to the dog he was watching for her, and she came up with a list of things she claimed were in my car. Fortunately, when the deputy went to my car with me to retrieve her gun, I gave him every single possession of hers that was in my car. He wasn't happy about it but I knew she would hunt me down and cause a scene so I insisted, In fact, later she accused me of keeping something I gave to the deputy and I told her she was welcome to accuse him of taking it and I informed her that everything we did before I left was on police video. Every day she called and said they threw her out of the hotel. Every day I called to check and was told she was still there and complaining about everything. She tried to get the manager of the hotel fired. She brought her mother into it and said I got her thrown out and they were in a homeless shelter. Then she said her neighbor at  home said my husband brought her dog and threw it out of his truck and then went and messed with her car. Any guesses about who that car belongs to? Ding, Ding, Ding, you're right, it's ours.  She claimed the neighbor called the police about my husband being there. He had a key to the gate because he was the one driving an hour each way to check on and feed her other two dogs. He had one at our house because she needed medication twice a day. The property she lives on belonged to my deceased brother and she doesn't know it but he left it to me  knowing I would let her live there and that she would never make any attempt to provide a home for her daughter. Oh, and when I got the meal plan fixed she stalked me and texted me every time I went to a restaurant or snack shop. I stopped using it until about ten o'clock on the day she checked out because it expired at midnight.

There's more but this is already ridiculous. Yes, I know how stupid it is to put up with her. Her daughter has a lot of medical problems and I need to be able to help her and know how she is doing, I've already told her daughter she can live with me when she is eighteen. I didn't tell he that her mother could jump off a bridge at that time. I know it's ugly and unchristian but the things she has done to other people have been horrible. She has no empathy and thinks she is the only person in the world is important. Anyway,  writing this has been a catharsis for me even though I left out a lot. Thanks for listening, as it were. Our virtual family has been a great comfort to me many times.                                                                                                             

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

It's such a sad situation all the way around. I wonder if Lois had any inklings that her husband was attracted to men? It would be one thing for Ed to come out privately to her years earlier and mutually decide to stay together for appearance's sake, but to find out your husband's been gay after nearly forty years together? I can't even imagine.

It could be that she knew he had an attraction to men years ago but perhaps not that he wanted to live openly as a gay man until recently. Plenty of gay and bi-sexual men are married to women, especially men of his generation. Given their social milieu he may have told her that he “struggled” with attractions but that he loved her and wanted to be with her even before they got married. 

I’m not bisexual (I’m not saying he is either) but of course it’s possible for bisexual people to be monogamous- however being 64 (when you likely got married at 20-23yrs old like a lot Mormons) and never getting to have the romantic experiences that you may have wanted is WAY DIFFERENT than a bisexual or pansexual 30yrs old adult who’s had life experiences choosing a hetero marriage because they WANT one. You know what I mean? Again I feel for everyone. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5