Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just one day's harvest of tomatoes (plus a few cucumbers that got in the way). Forty-some-odd plum tomatoes, fifty mixed variety red and yellow eating tomatoes (though I just found an awesome recipe to make sauce out of those as well!), and a couple of hundred red and yellow types of cherry tomatoes! And the tomato season is really only just starting to get into the swing of it!

69304375_10157317340197778_8921556056375558144_n.jpg

I so miss having a garden!  Living in an apartment with no usable sunlight (I've tried with little pots of herbs on the windowsill) leaves me longing for my backyard garden.  I have made sauce from tomatoes..ratatouille...peppers....all kinds of herbs.....

I did have a garden plot in the school yard where I taught.  We had some garden boxes and I was generally the first to sign up.  One of my cute first graders wondered if money would grow.  We planted a quarter.  It did not grow and I never was able to find the quarter....  The kids enjoyed the radishes, which was something most of them had ever eaten....

I hope you enjoy your harvest! You might want to roast some of the tomatoes with a bit of olive oil and garlic.  Roasted tomatoes (cooked until most of the juice is gone) make a wonderful topping for grilled bread (sort of lkke a tomato jam).

Happy harvesting!

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

@ChiCricket, I am so so sorry.  Dementia (and cancer) need to be banned from the universe.  Dementia is such a THIEF.  Horrible, awful thing and I hate it so much, it brings tears to me eyes every time I know someone else has been touched by it.  

Those sunflowers make me so happy!

@Barb23, thank you so much for asking about my granddaughter (who is the BOSS of the south, you pegged her).  She is 3 and just began ballet/tap lessons.  Also is in preschool 3 days a week.  Ballet is ABSOLUTELY without apology and without reservation for grandmothers.  I get in my car and drive to class every week, just to soak up that cuteness.  (Not just her, either, I ❤️ All of them!)

She was a flower girl in a wedding 2 weeks ago - the pic I drew the heart on is when they were arriving to the rehearsal dinner. 

its @Barb23‘s fault.

4C7410B0-9D21-4FCD-A066-AA4477F1ADF2.jpeg

2573A86C-8238-4F73-9344-682A6EF9E58A.jpeg

Cute pics! I love, love, love the picture of her with the heart drawn around her. Can tell she's having a ball. 🙂

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

@ChiCricket, I am so so sorry.  Dementia (and cancer) need to be banned from the universe.  Dementia is such a THIEF.  Horrible, awful thing and I hate it so much, it brings tears to me eyes every time I know someone else has been touched by it.  

Those sunflowers make me so happy!

@Barb23, thank you so much for asking about my granddaughter (who is the BOSS of the south, you pegged her).  She is 3 and just began ballet/tap lessons.  Also is in preschool 3 days a week.  Ballet is ABSOLUTELY without apology and without reservation for grandmothers.  I get in my car and drive to class every week, just to soak up that cuteness.  (Not just her, either, I ❤️ All of them!)

She was a flower girl in a wedding 2 weeks ago - the pic I drew the heart on is when they were arriving to the rehearsal dinner. 

its @Barb23‘s fault.

4C7410B0-9D21-4FCD-A066-AA4477F1ADF2.jpeg

2573A86C-8238-4F73-9344-682A6EF9E58A.jpeg

Love these photos! She is such a character!! And absolutely beautiful! I do love to see people's photos. I wish we had more of them. I know people tend to be understandably careful about security issues, but for the most part I feel as though unless you are posting photos with a lot of personal detail, or things that otherwise include some sort of sensitive information, anyone who is looking for something can probably find it in any case. So in that vein, here are a couple of newer ones of my granddaughter as well. They are still a month or two old, but for whatever reason, I don't have any really new ones. One is a composite showing the difference a year makes, and the other is her first boat ride, taken about the time I was having my surgery and wasn't able to be there. She is going on 17 months now, but was probably 15 months when these were taken.

65254378_10101026659478396_3928375709684203520_n.jpg

66154831_10101039692874366_6605584152773263360_n.jpg

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 20
18 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Love these photos! She is such a character!! And absolutely beautiful! I do love to see people's photos. I wish we had more of them. I know people tend to be understandably careful about security issues

Your grand is JUST too cha cha for WORDS!!!  Those EYES!  I love seeing the pics too and wish we all felt braver about sharing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Love these photos! She is such a character!! And absolutely beautiful! I do love to see people's photos. I wish we had more of them. I know people tend to be understandably careful about security issues, but for the most part I feel as though unless you are posting photos with a lot of personal detail, or things that otherwise include some sort of sensitive information, anyone who is looking for something can probably find it in any case. So in that vein, here are a couple of newer ones of my granddaughter as well. They are still a month or two old, but for whatever reason, I don't have any really new ones. One is a composite showing the difference a year makes, and the other is her first boat ride, taken about the time I was having my surgery and wasn't able to be there. She is going on 17 months now, but was probably 15 months when these were taken.

She has such stunning eyes! 🙂

• Love 3

Thanks for the pictures. 

@Happyfatchick She is adorable &  I'm sure she had a great time being a flower girl. I bet she ran that wedding. Lol.  Like you, my home nurse tries to attend all her grands functions. She has just 2 & with her schedule as a home nurse, she is able to attend many.  I enjoy all her stories & they perk me up on my bad days. 

@Jynnan tonnix Boy has she grown.  I love her boating picture esp her life jacket. She looks a little apprehensive, like she is deciding if boating is her thing or not.  Her Pebbles hairdo is too cute. 

@doodlebug Love that sunflower picture & hearing about that organization.   I love hearing about charities & organizations that turn a bad time into something worthwhile. 

On 8/19/2019 at 4:32 PM, galaxychaser said:

Oops, please disregard ^^^

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Such beautiful little girls!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, wilsie said:

@Jynnan tonnix  I don't have anyone else to compare to be she looks so much like you, especially her eyes!  She's adorable😊

Thanks...she really doesn't look like me at all as far as I can see, though. From the nose down she looks exactly like her other grandma. Her eye shape and eyebrows are the image of her dad's, though I'm not sure exactly who they came from, and the deep brown of her eyes comes from her mom, by way of Mr. Jyn. She also has my daughter's (and Mr. Jyn's) head shape, so I suspect she will have some of their bone structure. My daughter looks a bit like both of us, but more like her dad overall than me.

• Love 4

Re: the pic I drew the heart on (just saying, I drew that heart bc I already had sent that pic to 4500 of my closest friends).  When is the last time any of us felt the kind of excitement captured in that photo? That’s so sad, that all our other emotions seem to grow and take over.  I honestly just sat here, and cannot remember the last time I had that much excitement packed in myself.  She looks like she might explode!  I think I might like to feel that again!

• Love 12
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Guess who is sick with a sore throat and a cold? Me and I don’t even have air conditioning at home. 

I’m sorry! I’m just getting over a cold. Being sick sucks. I was coughing away, and I thought of my grandfather who couldn’t sleep for coughing some nights. Feel better. 

FINALLY got some antibiotics for my UTI. I only contacted my doctor on Monday. She is booked into early September, and they wouldn't double book me. What happens when you're really sick? Not my doctor's fault; she moved to this practice earlier this summer when her co-practitioner retired (space was in his name). The new practice seems a bit cold, but they did get my labs properly ordered so I could show up and per into a cup at the location of my choice. 

All this to say this could have been taken care of on Tuesday, and I could have been well on my way to recovery by now. Feh.

@Happyfatchick, what an interesting question to ask about when we are ever as excited and happy as your sweet granddaughter in her picture. It got me thinking....it doesn’t happen often, but, when the night is just right, the music is perfect, there are other people on the dance floor loving the the same rock’n song as us, AND none of my kids or grandkids are miserable, I can feel that way for a little while. 

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

@Happyfatchick, what an interesting question to ask about when we are ever as excited and happy as your sweet granddaughter in her picture. It got me thinking....it doesn’t happen often, but, when the night is just right, the music is perfect, there are other people on the dance floor loving the the same rock’n song as us, AND none of my kids or grandkids are miserable, I can feel that way for a little while. 

I feel like I am that excited every morning I can get out of bed and walk upright!  Maybe sounds silly but I don’t take it for granted. Everything after that is bonus. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I feel like I am that excited every morning I can get out of bed and walk upright!  Maybe sounds silly but I don’t take it for granted. Everything after that is bonus. 

I'm one who manages to get ridiculously excited about interesting clouds billowing by, sunsets, bits of music...all manner of little things, really. But nothing squashes that faster than someone pointing a camera at me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm one who manages to get ridiculously excited about interesting clouds billowing by, sunsets, bits of music...all manner of little things, really. But nothing squashes that faster than someone pointing a camera at me.

I can also get excited over a new sewing gizmo or a delicious meal I don’t have to cook!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I can also get excited over a new sewing gizmo or a delicious meal I don’t have to cook!

Haha! I get excited about delicious meals in general, but I get pretty excited about cooking something myself that makes my tastebuds sing! 

I hate going out to a restaurant and spending money only to decide that I could make the same thing just as well or better for a fraction of the price.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I really don't get excited about many things these days, but the one area that still works for me is animals - domestic and wild.  I have bird, bear & kitten cams open all day that I check from time to time.  If I see a toucan in Panama or kittens in wild play, that excites me.

I do appreciate beauty in nature and man-made, but it's quieter than excitement, except maybe a dramatic lightning display.

• Love 3

I just realized today that the only "friends" I have in real life are relatives..that's weird, right? I'm 67 years old, so I don't see that changing, but it's hard when you want to vent about family, and it's Inappropriate ( or you know It's going to get back to them.) Just me?

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I just realized today that the only "friends" I have in real life are relatives..that's weird, right? I'm 67 years old, so I don't see that changing, but it's hard when you want to vent about family, and it's Inappropriate ( or you know It's going to get back to them.) Just me?

I get that Chi - I have 3 sisters and they are my besties, but I don't vent about one sister to another.  I used to voice mild complaints or descriptions of my sisters to a couple of close co-workers, but I retired 4 months ago.  And then we moved, so now I'm trying to make a couple of friends in our new town.  I also have 3 daughters and they are awesome, one 5 minutes from here.  My Mom has always played one child against the other, so I make a point not to do that with my kids.  They are lovely to one another, btw!  I'm so proud of them!  Anyway, making new friends at 64 is not easy.  Luckily, we moved to a friendly neighborhood and I joined a gym, where the faces are starting to look more familiar.  I think it's going to take time and probably joining a church to make my friend search successful!

• Love 6

@ChiCricket  I'm so sorry.  So sad. 

I have been keeping up with Andrea Mills, the (fundie) Youtuber who died this week. She was buried today.  They announced that they 10th baby was a boy. 

Apparently the paternal grandmother is a retired school teacher and will homeschool the kids. Husband said they will continue on as usual.  They have a very large and close extended family so that is a huge help for them all.  Husband said they will be using all of Andrea's videos to help him, which I thought was kinda cute. 

• Love 6

This old dude tried to pick me up on the bus!
He told me I looked just like his cousin who's daddy is creole (my Mom’s entire family is creole). 
He was hilarious, not impolite at all but man take a hint. 
Just kept calling him SIR (aka mofo you're too damn old)
He got off the bus and told me he appreciated my beauty. I know I'm a little ageist with penis-But dude no. 

He was like 50-60!!

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

He told me I looked just like his cousin who's daddy is creole (my Mom’s entire family is creole). 
He got off the bus and told me he appreciated my beauty. I know I'm a little ageist with penis-But dude no. 

He was like 50-60!!

Send him my way! 😂

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

@ChiCricket  I'm so sorry.  So sad. 

I have been keeping up with Andrea Mills, the (fundie) Youtuber who died this week. She was buried today.  They announced that they 10th baby was a boy. 

Apparently the paternal grandmother is a retired school teacher and will homeschool the kids. Husband said they will continue on as usual.  They have a very large and close extended family so that is a huge help for them all.  Husband said they will be using all of Andrea's videos to help him, which I thought was kinda cute. 

I fear poor Jana will be married off to a guy like that. Widower with a bunch of kids. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He was like 50-60!!

This guy who was easily my dad's age at the library was, I suspect, trying to do this to me this week. He's really annoying--and married!--and he rotated between bitching about the most random things like they were my fault but then telling me I was smart because I could print something and trying to make small talk with me about where I went to school to become so brilliant at learning how to operate a damn printer. It took every fiber of my being not to tell him to fuck off. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He was like 50-60!!

This story reminded me of an old For Better or Worse comic strip, where Ellie was at a museum and some geezer tried to pick her up.  She was shocked - did he seriously think he was in her league?  I think about that every time some geezer smiles at me at the gym....although I'm over 60 myself!  

• LOL 6
21 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

This story reminded me of an old For Better or Worse comic strip, where Ellie was at a museum and some geezer tried to pick her up.  She was shocked - did he seriously think he was in her league?  I think about that every time some geezer smiles at me at the gym....although I'm over 60 myself!  

A smile or a “hello” is fine. Trying to date me after you tell me I look like your cousin (is this a VC Andrews novel???) is WEIRD. 🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Guys I have so many chores to do today omg. Being sick last weekend put me behind, and I have to watch my sister today AND I have to go to a Baptism tomorrow morning (brunch after). I have done 1 load of laundry (6 more to go), cleaned my own kitchen and put away the groceries from my Mom’s instacart order. Once my sister wakes up and I get her bathed, dressed and meal 1 (aka breakfast) then I can start her laundry. Oooooo it’s going to be a long Saturday. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

A smile or a “hello” is fine. Trying to date me after you tell me I look like your cousin (is this a VC Andrews novel???) is WEIRD. 🤣

I’m watching my first ever VC Andrews movie right now. Holy Cow. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Please join us in the TV movie thread. We’ve been having fun. 

I’ve never read the books or seen these movies so I am confused. It’s kind of mind blowing with all these weird relationships, who is related to who, and the women (Kitty and her mother) that are so mean spirited. 

Of course it makes my life seem like a piece of cake. 

32 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve never read the books or seen these movies so I am confused. It’s kind of mind blowing with all these weird relationships, who is related to who, and the women (Kitty and her mother) that are so mean spirited. 

Of course it makes my life seem like a piece of cake. 

The height of VC Andrews was before my time (late 80s) but when I was in college Barnes and Noble would sell the paperbacks for $4.99. This was before streaming so I’d buy a few and pass them around the dorm for something to read during down time. Trashtastic Gothic Horror at its finest. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

guess what i have been up too?  well, i drove back to texas again this summer to drop off my grandson for final. he is going to live there with my son (his uncle) and go to school. so far, its a smashing success!

now home, my plan is to gut my house, change around every room but my bedroom  and pare down on 'things'. the first step is refinishing the top of my dining room table. grandkids had damaged the finish. i sanded (and sanded and sanded ...at least 5 times WITH a electric sander), and now have two coats of stain on. will seal tomorrow. i used a colored stain and it looks exactly how i envisioned!! once that is done, the purge and rearrange begins! i am SO excited for this change -- i need it for distraction as grandson settles out east.

also still hunting up my genealogy - never ending search that is! someday now that my time is my time, i hope to get my sewing machines out of hiding and use up some of my stash of stuff.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The height of VC Andrews was before my time (late 80s) but when I was in college Barnes and Noble would sell the paperbacks for $4.99. This was before streaming so I’d buy a few and pass them around the dorm for something to read during down time. Trashtastic Gothic Horror at its finest. 

I read them in the early 90s and have fond memories.   I used to ride my bike down to the small local library and get whatever paperbacks they had.   I read the first 3 series out of order because I had to wait for my mom to take me to the larger library to get the other titles.  Some of the books especially My Sweet Audrina are permanently imprinted on my brain, and I constantly compare any other similar book to it.

I watch the Lifetime movies even though all have been disappointments.  My biggest issue is the Pacific Northwest can never stand in for the East Coast.   I can forgive the bad acting and the bad scripts, but the settings for all.the movies have been wrong.  I don't know where they found the homes doe Foxworth Hall and Farthy, but they are not imposing enough nor gloomy enough.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I never read v.c. Andrews? Is it horror/gothic? Is it good?

Difficult to categorize a series of formulaic books featuring evil adults and loving incest between siblings.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

As usual I’m sitting on a bench relaxing. And some chick plops down next to me and starts smoking. This is everywhere I go. I wish cigarettes cost $30 a pack. 

When we saw the Rolling Stones last weekend, the guy one seat away from me was smoking pot the whole show. I have smoked it in my (long) past, I know it's legal here, I just do not want to breathe it. I have asthma and get off my lawn!

• Love 5

I was surprised to find out, after a recent urinary tract infection, that the pill that relieves the symptoms (but does not cure the problem), is available over the counter. I knew about the relief pill and asked the doctor to prescribe it, as well as an antibiotic to treat the UTI, but at the pharmacy, I was told I could buy a less expensive version over the counter. In Walmart, it's in the area with Depends and such. It's called Equate Urinary Pain Relief. I hadn't had a UTI in many years, but I'm glad to have this pill on hand.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6